PDA

View Full Version : Should Campos/USF1 be allowed to race at Bahrain...

Sonic
17th February 2010, 19:41
....if they haven't even managed a shakedown test?

At the moment both teams (assuming they even make it) plan to run for the very first time at the first GP of the year. Is this safe? Should it be allowed? If Virgin can loose a wing (and I believe VR to be a far better run/built car than say USF1 will be) what on earth could fall off the totally untried rookie cars??

Opinions?

F1boat
17th February 2010, 19:44
Yes, but they need to drive at least in one free practice.

Sonic
17th February 2010, 20:17
Yes, but they need to drive at least in one free practice.

Drive? By that I trust you mean run at a representative pace? Any car can run around twenty seconds off the pace without bits falling off.

Robinho
17th February 2010, 20:24
of course they should - if they pass the crash tests and scrutineering at the event then they are allowed to run.

if they fail to run in practice or qually then they won't race, but i don't see why they shouldn't be able to run practice. if bits fall off then its no more dangerous then than in testing.

RJL25
17th February 2010, 20:24
No, quite frankly, they shouldn't be allowed to conduct their first shake down test in friday free practice! That's just bloody rediculous

Robinho
17th February 2010, 20:25
Drive? By that I trust you mean run at a representative pace? Any car can run around twenty seconds off the pace without bits falling off.

Virgin didn't - the wing fell off pretty much straight away and they were nowhere near any representative pace at that time.

Sonic
17th February 2010, 20:33
Virgin didn't - the wing fell off pretty much straight away and they were nowhere near any representative pace at that time.

Well they did run at Stowe which being a very slow track wouldn't have put the mounting under strain - whereas at Jerez, even 10 secs off the pace they were experiencing close to full stresses on the wing.

Robinho
17th February 2010, 20:52
yeah, and if the new guys turn up at Bahrain and run 10 seconds off in FP1 i'd assume the same would happen if there were anything wrong with the car. i don't see the problem

N. Jones
17th February 2010, 20:58
I say yes. They signed up for the season so they should run the first race.

Sonic
17th February 2010, 21:02
yeah, and if the new guys turn up at Bahrain and run 10 seconds off in FP1 i'd assume the same would happen if there were anything wrong with the car. i don't see the problem

Yeah. I'd be fine with that. As long as they can run at their full speed (whatever that may be) without the car spewing its gutts all over the track. Let's hope this isn't just hypothetical.

maximilian
17th February 2010, 21:38
Of course they should be allowed to race. They have an official entry, and show up with 2 cars and drivers, what else? Sure, it might be a baptism of fire, but if they pose a real danger to the rest of the field (which I doubt), they can still be removed from the running by marshall decision, if needed.

CNR
17th February 2010, 21:43
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100217/F1/100219907

An Argentinean media outlet is reporting that the U.S. F1 team has ground to a halt

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100217/F1/100219907#ixzz0fpcFX6gf (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100217/F1/100219907#ixzz0fpcFX6gf)

i think they should have to complete at least one preseason test

edv
17th February 2010, 21:50
Of course they should be allowed to race. They have an official entry, and show up with 2 cars and drivers, what else? Sure, it might be a baptism of fire, but if they pose a real danger to the rest of the field (which I doubt), they can still be removed from the running by marshall decision, if needed.

+1

Rollo
17th February 2010, 21:58
If the cars have passed the FIAs safety and crash test certification, then they already comply.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-news/225845/successful-nose-crash-test-for-us-f1/
The latest compulsory FIA crash test has run according to plan for the US F1 team, which saw its nose cone completely destroyed in order to ensure it meets the required standards to go racing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80971
Campos Meta 1's pre-season preparations received a boost on Tuesday when the team's Formula 1 car passed its final mandatory FIA crash test, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The cars are compliant; therefore provided they can get there, they should be allowed to start. End of story.

ZequeArgentina
17th February 2010, 22:03
Argentinean media is reprting a Meeting in Londres between ex USF1 Hurley (thrugh a representative, Mr Mullins) spanish Carabentes (from Campos), and Lopez managers and helpers, with the idea to gather ex USF1 funds with Campos. The plan would be to use USF1 money (including Pechito Lopez sponsorship, and obviusly the second drive alongside Senna). Meeting with Ecclestone was also made, and the same is expected for tomorrow:

http://www.campeonesnet.com.ar/?m=15&sec=48&id=19165

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 22:10
I doubt we will ever see the car turn a wheel...

maximilian
17th February 2010, 22:16
Argentinean media is reprting a Meeting in Londres between ex USF1 Hurley (thrugh a representative, Mr Mullins) spanish Carabentes (from Campos), and Lopez managers and helpers, with the idea to gather ex USF1 funds with Campos. The plan would be to use USF1 money (including Pechito Lopez sponsorship, and obviusly the second drive alongside Senna). Meeting with Ecclestone was also made, and the same is expected for tomorrow:

http://www.campeonesnet.com.ar/?m=15&sec=48&id=19165

A "merger" would make quite a bit of sense... Lopez&Hurley money is just what Campos needs at this time. New team name CampoSF1? :dozey:

truefan72
17th February 2010, 22:37
to b completely fair, if they show up in Bahrain with cars, drivers and everything fit and trim with scruteneering then they should be allowed to drive.
My feelings about them are not a factor if they show up ready to race. They haven't broken any rules to date and from the likes of it won't until they don't show up in China

woody2goody
17th February 2010, 23:00
I'm nearly 100% sure that Super Aguri only did a shakedown before Bahrain in 2006 didn't they?

Yes they were slow but nothing went wrong for them as such (well apart from their second driver :D )

Saint Devote
18th February 2010, 02:15
I say exclude them.

Slavishly applying rules is ridiculous. How can anyone think it is not dangerous to have someone like Lopez let loose in an F1 car, when besides questionable ability, is as racing UNFIT as is possible?

Even experienced drivers get it wrong and serious accidents can occur.

No testing, no racing. And anyone more than 107% slower - DNQ.

This is not 1950, Its 2010!!!

nigelred5
18th February 2010, 02:37
I'm nearly 100% sure that Super Aguri only did a shakedown before Bahrain in 2006 didn't they?

Yes they were slow but nothing went wrong for them as such (well apart from their second driver :D )

yeah, but everyone also knew they were driving a year old Honda chassis with Honda money.. Apples and oranges.

Koz
18th February 2010, 03:10
You know what? All this smells very rancid...

Compost F1 will never enter a race. If it does enter a race, it will already have been lapped TWICE by the 3rd lap.

Easy Drifter
18th February 2010, 03:11
If they show up and comply with the rules they can run. There is no rule to stop them. Bog slow they can be black flagged.
Campos could show up if funding is found now but it will be tight to finish the cars. They just do not go together for the first time in a couple of hours or even a couple of days.
I do have some experience in building formula cars albeit years ago. Also years of being a race mechanic/fabricator on formula cars.
USF1 are toast I am afraid. The car did not show up for its mandatory crash tests in the UK this week.
Reports say Lopez has been told there will be no car and to look for another ride.
Autoweek had a scheduled tour of the factory cancelled with no explanation. Arrangements had been made weeks ago. Requests for further info ignored.
Reports, unconfirmed, say factory almost deserted.
Unless something changes forget China.
By the rules they have to be at first race, Bahrain. Games might be played on that. It is the FIA after all! :D

I had a bad feeling about USF1 when 6 weeks after the big announcement of the team their office was still the local Starbucks. Renting a small office or shared office short term is easy and in the long term really cheap. It gives you an address/phone and some creditbility.

IMSA
18th February 2010, 03:24
A "merger" would make quite a bit of sense... Lopez&Hurley money is just what Campos needs at this time. New team name CampoSF1? :dozey:

There is NO MERGER>>> USF1 is done.

Hurley was a financial backer, pulled any additional funding. He is NOT USF1, so no such thing as a merger.

Anderson and Windsor will be sitting in the corner with the hands in the pockets wondering what happened.

This was a farce from day ONE. Anderson has a major track record doing business this way - cannot complete a task!

christophulus
18th February 2010, 08:34
There's suggestion that Campos is going to be sold off to Colin Kolles, and even more speculation that VW might still be interested in buying the team

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/campos-out-kolles-in-team-saved/

As an aside, apparently Stefan GP hasn't actually paid Toyota for the cars yet, so they may not be in as good a shape as they appear.

Dave B
18th February 2010, 08:48
Should Campos/USF1 be allowed to race at Bahrain... ..if they haven't even managed a shakedown test?

It's a moot point, isn't it? Both projects appear doomed for various reasons and even if the three-race dispensation were in place I doubt they'd ever field a functioning F1 car.

If by some miracle they do appear at Bahrain and pass scrutineering then obviously they should be treated equally - with the caveat that race control watch them like hawks and meatball them if the cars look like causing a danger or obstruction.

Hawkmoon
19th February 2010, 07:51
I agree with Saint Devote. Bring back the 107% rule. No risk of them getting in the way of the real teams.