PDA

View Full Version : Future Rally Media Coverage

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Fast Eddie WRC
18th January 2013, 12:22
Decent show for Day 2 - bit of a long intro but then good in-car action and nice helicopter shots ... :)

Livewireshock
18th January 2013, 15:52
It is without doubt that without Middle Eastern money, the WRC would be in a much poorer spot with Abu Dhabi supporting Citroen and Qatar sponsoring M-Sport.

Has anyone else noticed that there is no coverage listed for the Middle East? Just Sub-Saharan Africa and South African channels listed.

Co-driven
18th January 2013, 18:05
As in main thread:

30 min highlights of day 2 in English :

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK9G-LkFzVw

Part 2: WRC 2013 Monte Carlo Day 2 - Part 2/2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxHAuYR1XPg)

I just watched Day 2 Highlights. There are more onboard shots, but they extremely bad. With a simple GoPro you can get a good image and good sound. How hard it that?

A FONDO
18th January 2013, 18:12
I just watched Day 2 Highlights. There are more onboard shots, but they extremely bad. With a simple GoPro you can get a good image and good sound. How hard it that?

the footage is probably decent, but whoever uploaded the clip to youtube had converted it to around 100kbps :dozey:

RAS007
18th January 2013, 23:40
I have watched the English language Speed Channel coverage from Day 1 and 2 (which country is that from?) which somebody very kindly uploaded to YouTube :up: . Overall, pretty good, although not that much different from last previous years. The in-car cameras are all wrong as other folks have said, hopefully that will get fixed. Desperately disappointing to hear Paul King back in the commentary box and still doing the "live" commentary over recorded footage, it really is truly pitiful to listen to.

stefanvv
18th January 2013, 23:48
I have watched the English language Speed Channel coverage from Day 1 and 2 (which country is that from?) which somebody very kindly uploaded to YouTube :up: . Overall, pretty good, although not that much different from last previous years. The in-car cameras are all wrong as other folks have said, hopefully that will get fixed. Desperately disappointing to hear Paul King back in the commentary box and still doing the "live" commentary over recorded footage, it really is truly pitiful to listen to.

I think Australia's "Speed HD TV"

rallyfiend
19th January 2013, 06:08
I think Australia's "Speed HD TV"

As I understand it, the entire TV production team hired by Red Bull Media House is made up of the former NOS team - producers, cameramen, directors etc. With the Finnish team from Filmworks providing all the tech stuff - just as they did for NOS.

Prisoner Monkeys
19th January 2013, 07:47
The in-car cameras are all wrong as other folks have said, hopefully that will get fixed.
The only one that really seems "wrong" to me is the one in Hirvonen's car that is positioned between him and his co-driver. It seems to be mounted really low and pointing upwards, giving a weird perspective.

Desperately disappointing to hear Paul King back in the commentary box and still doing the "live" commentary over recorded footage, it really is truly pitiful to listen to.
It's probably very expensive to have a commentator on stand-by to comment on everything that happens. Especially when the cars are two minutes apart - it would be very easy to miss everything that is crucial. What guarantee is there that if King were doing the live commentary, he would have seen Sordo's spin that allowed Novikov to catch him up?

Allyc85
19th January 2013, 09:48
It's probably very expensive to have a commentator on stand-by to comment on everything that happens. Especially when the cars are two minutes apart - it would be very easy to miss everything that is crucial. What guarantee is there that if King were doing the live commentary, he would have seen Sordo's spin that allowed Novikov to catch him up?

The BBC didnt do live commentary and it worked brilliantly...over 10 years ago!

Franky
19th January 2013, 10:36
Although I've only managed to watch Day 1 review, the two "Oh" moments of Paul King didn't personally bother me. What bothered me about the Speed review was the use of two commentators. Why do they have two commentators?

MartijnS
19th January 2013, 11:54
I like it, getting better everyday.
First day too short.
Second day better, bit too less interviews, but the helicopter shots were great. Especially the one of Latvala at the fast section in the first part was pretty epic!
Third day good! Nice shots, more interviews :)

AndyRAC
19th January 2013, 12:06
As I understand it, the entire TV production team hired by Red Bull Media House is made up of the former NOS team - producers, cameramen, directors etc. With the Finnish team from Filmworks providing all the tech stuff - just as they did for NOS.

Hiring ex NOS staff is slightly disappointing. The sport needs new ideas and ways of showing itself - not the same old coverage as before. The 'as Live' commentary from Paul King wasn't funny years ago, and it still grates. They just don't listen.

GigiGalliNo1
19th January 2013, 12:11
So how else should the commentator do it?

Can anyone give me examples from YouTube of how they want to hear what the WRC coverage should be live? Any other NON Live sport?

EightGear
19th January 2013, 12:37
The 52 minutes highlights from the WRC YT channel from the past are excellent:

WRC Highlights: Monte Carlo 2002: 52 Minutes - YouTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=oqQ0NPeMIe0#)

vkangas
19th January 2013, 12:57
Hiring ex NOS staff is slightly disappointing. The sport needs new ideas and ways of showing itself - not the same old coverage as before. The 'as Live' commentary from Paul King wasn't funny years ago, and it still grates. They just don't listen.
Without EX NOS staff we would most propably have zero Monte coverage. You can't start form the scratch in that short amount of time. also, we don't know the big picture so it's too harsh to blame the staff.

GigiGalliNo1
19th January 2013, 14:24
Without EX NOS staff we would most propably have zero Monte coverage. You can't start form the scratch in that short amount of time. also, we don't know the big picture so it's too harsh to blame the staff.

But in saying that, NO DOUBT I AGREE WITH YOU. They haven't started from scratch really and didn't really have a short period of time... the FIA and WRC organizers had ALL OF 2012 to get their s*^t together!

Motorsportfun
19th January 2013, 14:58

I really don't think you have any idea of what must be in place to arrange an international tv-production and distribution...

Without ex NOS staff, much probably we could have seen again the 2012 Eurosport WRC-mess, showing the images only on their network, leaving without nothing (except the mandatory VNR for news access) all the other broadcasters.

This kind of work needs months of plannings and developement, not a couple of weeks. Let's give time to Red Bull MH and Sportsman Group, they're working in the right way, they just need some time to fix the details. :)

But in saying that, NO DOUBT I AGREE WITH YOU. They haven't started from scratch really and didn't really have a short period of time... the FIA and WRC organizers had ALL OF 2012 to get their s*^t together!

Exactly: it's JUST FIA fault, because Red Bull and Sportsman had just a couple of weeks to work in a quite important project like this, since they signed the contract.

RAS007
19th January 2013, 15:02
So how else should the commentator do it?

Can anyone give me examples from YouTube of how they want to hear what the WRC coverage should be live? Any other NON Live sport?

Look up any pre NOS coverage on YouTube. There are many, many examples, but I think you are missing the point. What we are watching is a review, and is NOT live, yet Paul King is attempting to make it appear as if is is actual live footage.

rallyfiend
19th January 2013, 16:12
Look up any pre NOS coverage on YouTube. There are many, many examples, but I think you are missing the point. What we are watching is a review, and is NOT live, yet Paul King is attempting to make it appear as if is is actual live footage.

Is there really much 'pre-NOS' stuff? That company was the same since 2001.

and before that the coverage was done by Bernie, in an ad hoc way, with coverage provided about 2 weeks after the event.

noel157
19th January 2013, 16:14
Paul King from day 3 coverage as we watch an onboard over a stage covered in ice and snow:

"Amazing as we watch these drivers going fast on what is, effectively, ice and snow"

Such an informed and expert insight. We'll be lost without such fantastic commentary/scripting.....

SDG
19th January 2013, 18:08
Anybody noticed the complete abscence of the driver's and co-pilot's comment in a great part of the onboard footage as well? Weird - and also deceptive - to get a view form inside's Loeb's car without the characteristic rattling voice of Daniel Elena... :-(

rallyfiend
19th January 2013, 18:34
Anybody noticed the complete abscence of the driver's and co-pilot's comment in a great part of the onboard footage as well? Weird - and also deceptive - to get a view form inside's Loeb's car without the characteristic rattling voice of Daniel Elena... :-(

If the first couple of day's coverage is anything to go by, they seem to be having problems with the audio from the cars, so perhaps they've just shut it off?

19th January 2013, 18:37
If the first couple of day's coverage is anything to go by, they seem to be having problems with the audio from the cars, so perhaps they've just shut it off?
That's my guess as well. I prefer having no sound to having sound which harms my ears.

gravelman
19th January 2013, 19:28
Although I've only managed to watch Day 1 review, the two "Oh" moments of Paul King didn't personally bother me. What bothered me about the Speed review was the use of two commentators. Why do they have two commentators?

The guy who isn't Paul King is very good in my opinion, but pk has to go, hate to see anyone lose their job but he just doesn't cut it with his "live" moments.

Prisoner Monkeys
20th January 2013, 05:35
Looking back over most of the footage from the past few days, I'm suitably impressed. It's not perfect by any means, but it's considerably more than I was expecting. I was particularly excited about the amount of external shots that were used, not only in terms of the volume, but in the variety as well. In the past, we've only ever seen half a dozen rally cars going over the same pieces of road, which is really not that exciting. There was some repetition here, of course, and that's not a bad thing by any means - if it's a particularly good corner, then it's certainly welcome - but they got the balance just right by injecting plenty of unique content. It really captured the feel that the Monte is an epic rally, rather than an event that is only run over the same five kilometres.

There are still a few things that need to be addressed; primarily, I think they need to look at the balance between stage coverage. In the Friday half-hour recap, ten minutes were spent looking at SS11, and five minutes were spent looking at SS12 and SS13 - which is a shame, because SS13 was Sisteron, which deserves more. But it's certainly a strong start.

Tom206wrc
20th January 2013, 06:43
Total Scandal of media coverage here in France for Monte-Carlo :mad: :mad:

A FONDO
20th January 2013, 10:35
Has anybody seen Latvalas crash at wrc.com? Are they really trying to hide it or what?

kimiryan
20th January 2013, 15:13
Has anybody seen Latvalas crash at wrc.com? Are they really trying to hide it or what?

Two vedios on youtube that from two diffrent angles captured the crash moment of JML,just lost the grip suddenly,Unbelieveble

A FONDO
20th January 2013, 15:41
Two vedios on youtube that from two diffrent angles captured the crash moment of JML,just lost the grip suddenly,Unbelieveble

I know them, my point is other. The official website shows Novikovs and Hanninens crashes, but skips Latvalas, which is far more spectacular. Is it just accidentially, or the Red Bull promoter is trying to hide VW Red Bull Team's failures? And, more important, are they going to continue like that in the future?

stefanvv
20th January 2013, 15:48
I know them, my point is other. The official website shows Novikovs and Hanninens crashes, but skips Latvalas, which is far more spectacular. Is it just accidentially, or the Red Bull promoter is trying to hide VW Red Bull Team's failures? And, more important, are they going to continue like that in the future?

Is that the reason one should watch Rally, oh please. There is "best of crashes" program on Motors TV for that...

PS: Where is the dislike button?

GigiGalliNo1
21st January 2013, 09:16
Who was able to watch WRC this weekend on mainstream TV, which channels and when?

Also post if you watched online via YouTube/Laola.tv

Mirek
21st January 2013, 09:33
Czech state TV broadcasted daily reports. That's quite an improvement by the way :)

donlorean
21st January 2013, 10:10
Is anyone else pissed off abut those changing in-car views? For example Novikov´s crash. Just when something happens, view changes to show his face... I know what he looks like. I don´t want to see his face when he drives. I want to see how and where the car is going. So if someone who can do something about it read this, please rip those face-cams away from the cars. They are useless... Or if you still want to use those, make sure that you can record all the cameras at same time...

Mirek
21st January 2013, 10:19
I also don't like the views on crew faces. I don't mind if they are as second view in a smaller picture at the corner. I also prefer view from behind the crew than the dashboard one (or bonnet, or roof etc.).

stefanvv
21st January 2013, 10:55
Simultaneous recording is possibly currently in charge - http://www.motorsportforums.com/wrc/153874-rallye-wrc-monte-carlo-2013-a-130.html#post1100516

GigiGalliNo1
21st January 2013, 11:00
Yes. Sordo spin. Lets do camera shot of Sordo driving straight and just before he hits the wall the camera changes to Sordo's interior of him controlling the car. Where did he hit the wall on the stage?! It was crap.

Forest 20
21st January 2013, 13:02
Who was able to watch WRC this weekend on mainstream TV, which channels and when?

Sport 1 and Servus TV both on 19.2e had coverage but mostly in German (FTA). TVP1 Poland (subscription) had 5 minute slot per day just covering just one driver, a Pole very disappointing, that it was so short and that they were so blinkered to everyone else.

GigiGalliNo1
21st January 2013, 14:43
Anyone else for English speaking countries?

Nothing was shown in Asia, UK or USA.... pathetic really...

stefanvv
21st January 2013, 14:54
My contry is not English speaking (though almost all citizens actually speak it :D ), WRC has never been coveraged by our TV channels (that's one solid reason to follow this forum closely). Last year I changed my cable operator to follow it on Motors TV. This year it's not even there. :mad:

But the good news is Servus TV this year.

phando
21st January 2013, 17:58
Is there any plans for uk coverage? disgusting that there was none for the Monte!!! :mad:

EightGear
21st January 2013, 18:04
It was Youtube for me as usual. I don't see any reason to suppose that will change very soon.

Kielder
22nd January 2013, 01:05
Here (http://www.canalplus.es/play/video.html?xref=20130121plucandep_1.Ves) is how it was shown in Spain. After daily highlights at C+, a few hours ago it was broadcasted live a preview, with Sainz as a commentator (yes, the other guy on the right is the ex-goalkeeper). Then, the highlights were commentated by Luis Moya. I hope that your IP allows you to see it :) .

MrJan
22nd January 2013, 12:43
Is there really much 'pre-NOS' stuff? That company was the same since 2001.

and before that the coverage was done by Bernie, in an ad hoc way, with coverage provided about 2 weeks after the event.

As we all know the WRC only began in the year 2000 :rolleyes:

I never used to mind that I had coverage of an event a week after it happened, because the coverage you got was actually decent. BBC Wales did coverage of Rally GB for the last couple of years that was very well presented and covered (they even managed to say what had happened in the other classes, something that the current lot don't seem to acknowledge).

And there is something to be said for shorter, well edited highlights. My dad in particular would rather have a shorter round up at the end of the event rather than half an hour each night, although that's partly because we watch it in one go on the Monday following the event (mainly because we watch it on Youtube).

I too disliked the Hirvonen camera angle because you can't see the stage through the window, however it is quite nice to be able to see the steering wheel and the pedals at the same time. The cameras facing the drivers can be interesting also but are way too.

bowie
22nd January 2013, 22:29
I see the tv listing has been updated to include Ireland. SETANTA !?! Hope they don't do the deal for uk. It would be akin to NOS selling it to ESPN.

GigiGalliNo1
23rd January 2013, 02:13
USA:

iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00002910&10)

Hope someone can get Speed TV in HD online during Sweden?

Formaldehyde
23rd January 2013, 10:04
People, for the past many years you can usually get a high quality torrent of the daily highlights only a few hours (sometimes minutes) after it's aired on TV, anywhere in the world. This year it seems there is a nice fellow from Australia who is uploading the SPEED TV coverage... where do you think those low quality Youtube clips come from?

kimiryan
23rd January 2013, 10:48
I guess all the vedio come from the racingfor.me first,But it needs the invatation to register

makinen_fan
23rd January 2013, 13:14
Just now in Twitter. Hope a deal is agreed for the UK coverage.

@TheRallyReport
EXCLUSIVE - For UK #WRC rally fans; good news! Confirmed - Promoter is trying to secure UK coverage as we type! Bodes very well for a deal!

michpetter
23rd January 2013, 21:33
People, for the past many years you can usually get a high quality torrent of the daily highlights only a few hours (sometimes minutes) after it's aired on TV, anywhere in the world.
Where? Please, share the links.

where do you think those low quality Youtube clips come from?
What Youtube clips? Just checked and everything has been cleaned - no trace of daily highlights.

rallyfiend
23rd January 2013, 21:42

What Youtube clips? Just checked and everything has been cleaned - no trace of daily highlights.

Are you serious? You need to learn how to do a simple search.

Put 'monte carlo wrc day 2 2013' in to YOutube and the whole world opens up to you.

michpetter
23rd January 2013, 22:54
No it doesn't. Still no high quality (or medium). And no torrents...
I've (luckily) already watched days reviews on Youtube. Too bad I deleted all the links because I could show you plenty of dead Youtube links. Only one is still on.

Is this that new wrc promotion? We've had one of the most interesting WRC rallies in years. And there are still some people following wrc (how much has the numbers plummeted in the last decade?) So the best idea is to prevent them watching the rally :)
Luckily there are some fan videos (and sometimes much better than tv broadcats :) ) - they don't ban them like in F1 yet.

EightGear
23rd January 2013, 23:02
All YouTube Monte Carlo review videos have been removed... Due to copyright.

Franky
24th January 2013, 06:50
And no torrents...

Search again. There are at least 4 with public trackers.

MartijnS
24th January 2013, 09:17
This account still has the daily eps: NIKKEIBG - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/nikkeibg?feature=watch)
They got deleted from the wrcforeva account indeed.

Sulland
24th January 2013, 09:33
Motors TV had the balls to use its own forum to discuss directly with the customer (us)
Is there a site/place where the RedBull media team have a similar service, or maybe they follow this thread?

A FONDO
24th January 2013, 09:51
All YouTube Monte Carlo review videos have been removed... Due to copyright.

What the * :mad: They should even pay the most popular video tube to host them! This is the modern way to make a product popular! Not to hide it! If a friend of mine begin getting interested in that sport I'm following, what would I tell him - "Well, there's no video I can show you, but wait, I can give you a page with some bare numbers called stage times....."

rallyfiend
24th January 2013, 09:58
I'm guessing that these videos breach the agreements with broadcasters - it is illegal to post such stuff. It could be the broadcasters are putting in copyright claims.

mm46
24th January 2013, 11:41
wrc.com/video/highlights/

ToughMac
24th January 2013, 11:57
What the f$*k are the FIA doing? you can't watch the WRC on the tele and now you can't watch it on youtube either. No wonder manufacturers are afraid to commit to the series.

rallyfiend
24th January 2013, 12:01
What the f$*k are the FIA doing? you can't watch the WRC on the tele and now you can't watch it on youtube either. No wonder manufacturers are afraid to commit to the series.

How can it be sold to broadcasters if it's available free on the web? You're kind of making a self defeating argument there.

And to be fair, it doesn't seem to be affecting the number of manufacturers. VW, Hyundai, rumoured Toyota....

Name a motorsport series that is attracting more manufacturers?

They're leaving WTCC like rats, F1 only has 2 (sort of 3).....

EightGear
24th January 2013, 12:21
wrc.com/video/highlights/

That's even better! Official daily highlightes on the official website!!

Formaldehyde
24th January 2013, 12:23
People, for the past many years you can usually get a high quality torrent of the daily highlights only a few hours (sometimes minutes) after it's aired on TV, anywhere in the world.

I guess all the vedio come from the racingfor.me first,But it needs the invatation to register

kimiryan is right. You need a good private tracker to find the good stuff. You won't find next day WRC highlights on The Pirate Bay.

I have 2 invite codes for Racing For Me... first 2 people to contact me by PM will get them. And please, since the invitation system is so restricted, don't ask for the code unless you intend to share your stuff by keeping your torrent client open whenever your computer is on. I would hate to give out the code to someone only for them to be banned from the tracker a couple of weeks later because they downloaded a bunch of stuff and did not seed their torrents back.

MartijnS
24th January 2013, 13:55
That's even better! Official daily highlightes on the official website!!

Good indeed! But than they have to upload it fast, so you can watch it the next day. Don't know when this was done :)

RS
24th January 2013, 14:04
How can it be sold to broadcasters if it's available free on the web?

I'm not sure broadcasters actually pay? Last time it was on tv in the UK the broadcaster was paid to take it.

rallyfiend
24th January 2013, 14:30
[quote="RS"]I'm not sure broadcasters actually pay? Last time it was on tv in the UK the broadcaster was paid to take it.[/QUOTE

How do you know that? Source?

worldrallynews
24th January 2013, 16:43
Internet. Its broadband after all!
That´s how I always did, and will probably be doing for some time. They could even profit by advertising in their WRC day highlights youtube channel, shared on every social network in reach.

Allyc85
24th January 2013, 16:49
Motors TV had the balls to use its own forum to discuss directly with the customer (us)
Is there a site/place where the RedBull media team have a similar service, or maybe they follow this thread?

In one of my emails from Red Bull Media House I was told that there willl be an email addres for us to give feedback, and they will let me know what it is as soon as its live.

I will of course post it up as soon as I get it :)

Franky
24th January 2013, 17:01
In one of my emails from Red Bull Media House I was told that there willl be an email addres for us to give feedback, and they will let me know what it is as soon as its live.

I will of course post it up as soon as I get it :)

You know that setting up an e-mail account takes about a few minutes :D Love the big companies.

ToughMac
24th January 2013, 19:48
How can it be sold to broadcasters if it's available free on the web? You're kind of making a self defeating argument there.

And to be fair, it doesn't seem to be affecting the number of manufacturers. VW, Hyundai, rumoured Toyota....

Name a motorsport series that is attracting more manufacturers?

They're leaving WTCC like rats, F1 only has 2 (sort of 3).....

Well without it being free on the web Joe Bloggs is not aware of what the sport actually is. Lets say he does want to go watching rallying just out of interest do you think he wants to pay ten euro extra or whatever it is to his satellite provider? As an avid rally fan of the best part of twenty years I feel its a disgrace the way the sport is (non)promoted. Charge for coverage by all means but in this interactive age you should be getting more bang for your buck i.e. live coverage, exclusive interviews and just a more in depth package overall - something like what you used to get on the red button when the BBC broadcast the F1 live. It should be free on terrestrial T.V. and if anything youtube and similar outlets serve up a new fan base that wouldn't normally be there. As for the new manufacturers I have no doubt there are increased media promises to guarantee their entries, for some it is a little too late i.e. Ford and BMW-Mini

MrJan
24th January 2013, 19:57
Well without it being free on the web Joe Bloggs is not aware of what the sport actually is.

That may be the case for some people, but I think that the majority are aware of rallying. Popularity of the RAC up to about 1998, combined with interest created by computer games, means that there are an awful lot of people that are aware of rallying, but just not interested enough to follow it. Being free on the internet isn't something that overly interests me as a fan of the sport, let alone people that don't care.

As you say it's terrestial TV that is needed, something with trailers and in your face...plus great coverage. One of the reasons that F1 is so popular at the minute (aside from the gadgets) is that the BBC have presented a very good show, something that ITV never managed to pull off.

ToughMac
24th January 2013, 20:04
Colin Clark sums it up best.

MAXRALLY - A different take on the telly debate (http://www.maxrally.com/2013/01/24/a-different-take-on-the-telly-debate)

stefanvv
24th January 2013, 20:14
There is one thing I appericiate Red Bull's coverage - it is online! This is certainly a better move, it only lacks of multinationality.

makinen_fan
24th January 2013, 22:01
There is one thing I appericiate Red Bull's coverage - it is online! This is certainly a better move, it only lacks of multinationality.

Where is it online? Do you mean those small clips summaries in wrc.com ? The youtube videos that Colin Clark is mentioning as well are illegal, and I am sure from next round Red Bull will be quicker in removing them from youtube. So probably we will not be lucky in watching it that way...

MartijnS
24th January 2013, 22:07
These are the full daily episodes: World Rally Championship - Video - Highlights (http://wrc.com/video/highlights/)

stefanvv
24th January 2013, 22:25
Where is it online? Do you mean those small clips summaries in wrc.com ? The youtube videos that Colin Clark is mentioning as well are illegal, and I am sure from next round Red Bull will be quicker in removing them from youtube. So probably we will not be lucky in watching it that way...

No, I meant Servus TV (in German):
ServusTV - World Rally Championship 2013 (http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite/Article/World-Rally-Championship-2013-011259478275842)
ServusTV - World Rally Championship 2013 (http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite/Article/World-Rally-Championship-2013-011259476906277)
ServusTV - World Rally Championship 2013 (http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite/Article/World-Rally-Championship-2013-011259476906406)
ServusTV - World Rally Championship 2013 (http://www.servustv.com/cs/Satellite/Article/World-Rally-Championship-2013-011259476915899)

stefanvv
24th January 2013, 22:26
These are the full daily episodes: World Rally Championship - Video - Highlights (http://wrc.com/video/highlights/)

Wow, that's great, didn't know that. It's just very slow at the moment, like I'm seeing sliding pictures very fast.

A FONDO
24th January 2013, 23:30
Colin Clark sums it up best.

MAXRALLY - A different take on the telly debate (http://www.maxrally.com/2013/01/24/a-different-take-on-the-telly-debate)

One of the comments below:

a few weeks ago in Dubai a small promoter, compared to what Red Bull / WRC could offer showed a 24 hour race entirely on the internet, yes the practicality's of showing every angle and every second of rallying are more difficult however this promoter showed all the race + Onboards + Live timing, Radio coverage and the system once showed could be DVR'd whilst still on the site as well as backed up immediately to Youtube to watch at a later date, If a small Netherlands based promoter can create this kind of coverage, It baffles me as to why the likes of WRC, the FIA and Red Bull can not grasp this way of broadcasting rallying to an audience.

GigiGalliNo1
25th January 2013, 01:19
The YouTube vids from Australian Speed channel were recorded by a fellow Australian. He uploaded to RacingForMe (invitation only) but people who downloaded it put it on YouTube! Easy. It can be done over and over again.

SDG
25th January 2013, 14:29
These are the full daily episodes

Happy to see this. Hope they will do this for the rest of the season as well. Even though it's been published with a delay of a couple of days, you get a decent and thorough rally review at least instead of some two-minute snippets.

Allyc85
25th January 2013, 17:51
This is how the highlights should be! Talking about the action, no fake live commentary B.S.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOJF42q7lw

BDunnell
25th January 2013, 17:55
This is how the highlights should be! Talking about the action, no fake live commentary B.S.!

Couldn't agree more.

makinen_fan
25th January 2013, 18:14
How difficult is to do a review like this and not the b***s*** that Paul King is giving us for years now. I watched yesterday all the four days of Monte reviews, and I was disgusted by the comments he was making.
What the deal with this guy? He is not good and still here after all these years, being the promoter is NOS, nobody or even now with Red Bull. Does anyone know more about him, what is his involvement with promoter, FIA apart from commentating?

MrJan
25th January 2013, 22:02

That was my first ever WRC event, remember being bitterly disappointed when McRae crashed because he'd been by far the most spectacular driver in the morning. I'll never forget the image emerging from behind the trees sideways and flat out.

RAS007
25th January 2013, 23:05
How difficult is to do a review like this and not the b***s*** that Paul King is giving us for years now. I watched yesterday all the four days of Monte reviews, and I was disgusted by the comments he was making.
What the deal with this guy? He is not good and still here after all these years, being the promoter is NOS, nobody or even now with Red Bull. Does anyone know more about him, what is his involvement with promoter, FIA apart from commentating?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Give that man a cigar.

Paul King's commentary is an abomination. He can ruin a rally all by himself. I have no earthly idea why he is persisting with this utter, utter drivel that is the the pretend "live" commentary over recorded footage. You ask a good question above: why can't they do a proper review programme? I think one of the answers is simply a lack of knowledge and understanding about the sport, and the other is laziness. I get the distinct impression from listening to King that he does not have a firm grasp of what the sport is really about.

stefanvv
25th January 2013, 23:17
What is so irritating about a commentator anyway, I rarely pay attention for their commentary during Rally, I just enjoy the action. But I have excuse probably as I have watched for a long, long time F1 coverage in my country with commentary of a certain man which everyone used to laugh at his incompetence. :D A friend of mine even kept a notebook with his "jems" :D

ToughMac
26th January 2013, 00:42
Bring back Mark James, he knew his onions and also knew how to captivate an audience.

BDunnell
26th January 2013, 02:50
What is so irritating about a commentator anyway, I rarely pay attention for their commentary during Rally, I just enjoy the action.

A good commentary is vital to my enjoyment of any sport. Rallying is about a story building up — how else can this be explained without a commentary?

Prisoner Monkeys
26th January 2013, 02:52
Rally Monte-Carlo 2013. Malcolm Wilson interview. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G77YfTQdRuU#)!

BDunnell
26th January 2013, 02:55
Paul King's commentary is an abomination. He can ruin a rally all by himself. I have no earthly idea why he is persisting with this utter, utter drivel that is the the pretend "live" commentary over recorded footage.

One quick answer: because of the apparent desperation, through ever shorter routes with repeated stages, to turn rallying into some kind of close relative of rallycross or circuit racing. It completely, utterly misunderstands the nature of the sport, and — while different opinions are all well and good — I have found it rather disheartening in recent days to read so many apparent fans of the sport saying they think the days of long routes belong only in the past. To me, this too represents a lack of appreciation of what rallying should be about. Not every event, not every stage, need be a 100 per cent flat-out blast. And, certainly, when shown on TV as recorded highlights this never need be commentated on 'as live'.

stefanvv
26th January 2013, 03:07
A good commentary is vital to my enjoyment of any sport. Rallying is about a story building up — how else can this be explained without a commentary?

I got something wrong perhaps, what's so fake about Paul King's commentary? I haven's heard the other commentator (may be), but I think from current coverage I can have an idea what has happened in the Rally even without following it when it happened. But I must admit the German commentator on Servus TV was better than him :D and got pople's attention (sometimes with some overstatements ;) ). I just wonder how much important this is for a true Rally fan :confused: (of course I don't want to hear lot of bulls**ts either from some completely incompetent commentator, which King I don't think is). Anyway I think we should be glad we have coverage at all. I definitelly see some progress in comparison with last year ;) So lets hope for the better only in future...

stefanvv
26th January 2013, 04:01
One quick answer: because of the apparent desperation, through ever shorter routes with repeated stages, to turn rallying into some kind of close relative of rallycross or circuit racing. It completely, utterly misunderstands the nature of the sport, and — while different opinions are all well and good — I have found it rather disheartening in recent days to read so many apparent fans of the sport saying they think the days of long routes belong only in the past. To me, this too represents a lack of appreciation of what rallying should be about. Not every event, not every stage, need be a 100 per cent flat-out blast. And, certainly, when shown on TV as recorded highlights this never need be commentated on 'as live'.

I may presume you never heard American Rally commentator, OMG that was I can call disaster. What we have is completely normal currently. I also have some nostalgy about Rally in 80's, but we're all aware that times are gone for good, and never are going to come back.

Koceens
26th January 2013, 14:27
Although I'm not a fan of Paul King it's still better than boring Karlton Kirby in Eurosport. Always have that feeling he is not interested in rallying at all.

rallyfiend
26th January 2013, 14:55
Although I'm not a fan of Paul King it's still better than boring Karlton Kirby in Eurosport. Always have that feeling he is not interested in rallying at all.

He seems to spend more time making himself more important than the programme he's talking about.

He's dire.

SDG
26th January 2013, 17:32
Paul King's commentary is an abomination. He can ruin a rally all by himself. I have no earthly idea why he is persisting with this utter, utter drivel that is the the pretend "live" commentary over recorded footage. You ask a good question above: why can't they do a proper review programme? I think one of the answers is simply a lack of knowledge and understanding about the sport, and the other is laziness. I get the distinct impression from listening to King that he does not have a firm grasp of what the sport is really about.

On the official F1 review dvd's up to some years ago, Ben Edwards used the same presentation style, by adding 'live' commentary over recorded footage. The last couple of years however, he fortunately has switched to a more naturally, narrative style of commentating.

A FONDO
26th January 2013, 18:03
I just want to say I don't dislike PK. Yes he is a bit overreacting with the "live" outbursts but except that he has a nice "glossary", flowing speech and good pronounciation with limited british accent. He is 1000000 times better than last year's MOTORS performance with CC and the other guy, they didn't even know what and when to speak no matter how bad they did it. Or the mentioned eurosport narrator who always seems so bored and displeased.

BDunnell
26th January 2013, 18:11
On the official F1 review dvd's up to some years ago, Ben Edwards used the same presentation style, by adding 'live' commentary over recorded footage. The last couple of years however, he fortunately has switched to a more naturally, narrative style of commentating.

I think it's much more acceptable on racing than on rallying.

MrJan
26th January 2013, 18:55
I think it's much more acceptable on racing than on rallying.

Indeed, Simon Taylor used to do it to good effect on F3000 races IMO.

Interesting to see so many people defending Paul King because "he's not as bad as...." is that really what we should be accepting?

BDunnell
26th January 2013, 20:35
Indeed, Simon Taylor used to do it to good effect on F3000 races IMO.

As did Murray Walker and Charlie Cox on the BTCC, and many others as well.

Interesting to see so many people defending Paul King because "he's not as bad as...." is that really what we should be accepting?

Quite. He's just not suited to the role. Each to their own, I know, and somewhat off topic, but the apparently successful careers of certain motorsport commentators really do mystify me. Carlton Kirby and Andrew Marriott are both notably awful, and how anyone in the ITV4 hierarchy could have listened to Toby Moody on the BTCC last year and thought 'Yes, this is as good as we could get' is baffling. Doing a rally narration properly is not rocket science — Mark James and Steve Rider, and earlier Murray Walker and Dickie Davies, all did it extremely well. Paul King is in no way on their level, and you're right — it shouldn't be tolerated.

Forest 20
4th February 2013, 15:14
As there is still no news on UK coverage, here are some TV listings for WRC Sweden, all GMT (language mostly German):

Servus TV
4th 21.35 – 22.05
5th 01.15 -01. 45
9th 09.35 – 10.05
9th 23.10 – 23.35
11th 21.35 – 22.35
12th 01.10 – 02.05

Sport 1
8th 16.30 -17.30
9th 15.30 – 16.00
10th 20.00 – 21.00

Fast Eddie WRC
5th February 2013, 13:23
Still no UK coverage sorted ? And we have a Brit involved now !

BDuncan
5th February 2013, 13:40
Excellent.

BDuncan
5th February 2013, 13:43
I forgot to ask about the TV coverage, so thanks.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th February 2013, 21:40
Plenty of coverage on Sport TV in Portugal:

Streams for the channels are here: SPORTV GRATIS ONLINE - Sport TV 1 grátis, sporttv online (http://www.casadossegredos.tv/sporttv)

Preview on now !

stefanvv
6th February 2013, 05:47
Sweden previw is on laola tv already in english:
Rally Sweden: Magazine ::: Free Sport Live Streams / Videos (http://www.laola1.tv/en/ru/motorsports/wrc/rally-sweden-magazine/video/-2978-110700-.html)

RS
7th February 2013, 09:04
No Sweden on tv in the UK. They have a deal for Rally GB tho!

AndyRAC
7th February 2013, 12:01
No Sweden on tv in the UK. They have a deal for Rally GB tho!

Yes, that was repeorted in MNews – still don’t know who the channel is mind you.

What I find unacceptable, is Rally Sweden will have some Live coverage – but only in Sweden. Why isn’t this on RedBullTV, the WRC website??

MrJan
7th February 2013, 12:39
Yes, that was repeorted in MNews – still don’t know who the channel is mind you.

What I find unacceptable, is Rally Sweden will have some Live coverage – but only in Sweden. Why isn’t this on RedBullTV, the WRC website??

Seem to remember that it was reasonably easy to find last year, just takes some searching on justin.tv or livetv.ru.

Does anyone know how soon the WRC site has the highlights online? Just wondering if there's a chance of seeing daily highlights or whether I have to wait until after the event like I've done when youtubing in the past.

stefanvv
7th February 2013, 12:55
Seem to remember that it was reasonably easy to find last year, just takes some searching on justin.tv or livetv.ru.

Does anyone know how soon the WRC site has the highlights online? Just wondering if there's a chance of seeing daily highlights or whether I have to wait until after the event like I've done when youtubing in the past.

I don't, but you should find them sooner than wrc.com here - FIA World Rally Championship ::: Free Sport Live Streams / Videos (http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/more-sports/motorsports/fia-world-rally-championship/video/492--.html)

Fast Eddie WRC
7th February 2013, 21:52
WRCforeva had daily highlights for Monte Carlo... hopefully same for Sweden :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/WRCforeva?feature=watch

SDG
8th February 2013, 11:48
WRCforeva had daily highlights for Monte Carlo... hopefully same for Sweden :)

Unfortunately he had to remove them due to a copyright claim, just as MotorsportFunCyprus. So I don't think you will find any more coverage on their YT pages in the future.

MrJan
8th February 2013, 12:31
Unfortunately he had to remove them due to a copyright claim, just as MotorsportFunCyprus. So I don't think you will find any more coverage on their YT pages in the future.

Happens for most events. I nearly always watch the WRCForeva or LatvalaFan (think that's the username) videos, and they always get taken down after a while.

stefanvv
8th February 2013, 22:09
If it's not posted yet, Sweden day 1 report will begin in about 10 minutes here - SPORTV GRATIS ONLINE - Sport TV 2 grátis, sporttv2 online (http://www.casadossegredos.tv/sporttv2)

stefanvv
10th February 2013, 21:47
Sweden final day coverage on 23:00 CET here - SPORTV GRATIS ONLINE - Sport TV 2 grátis, sporttv2 online (http://www.casadossegredos.tv/sporttv2)

stefanvv
12th February 2013, 08:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRv-aiCleI

stefanvv
12th February 2013, 08:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6mkf8Z67wg

EightGear
14th February 2013, 12:58
SKY IN LINE FOR WRC TV DEAL
Sky is being tipped as the British broadcaster most likely to show the WRC in the UK. A deal has still not been confirmed, but it is hoped it will be in place for round three, Rally Mexico, next month.

From autosport magazine.

tommy2k8
14th February 2013, 13:19
I really hope so! Can you post a link to the article on the Autosport web site?

EightGear
14th February 2013, 13:30
I really hope so! Can you post a link to the article on the Autosport web site?

It is from the Magazine, not from the website. More than the text I quoted doesn't exist. ;)

tommy2k8
14th February 2013, 13:35
It is from the Magazine, not from the website. More than the text I quoted doesn't exist. ;)

Ok, thanks - the current issue?

EightGear
14th February 2013, 13:45
Ok, thanks - the current issue?

Yes, today's one.

RS
14th February 2013, 18:59
I am sure Sky would do a good job like they have with the F1 but it is not ideal to have it on a pay channel, especially if it is on the F1 or Sports channels as these cost even more than a basic Sky subscription. I remember when WRC was on ESPN the viewing figures were really dreadful.

Maybe Sky could rebrand "Sky F1 HD" as "Sky Motorsport" though and then WRC would have a good synergy.

AndyRAC
14th February 2013, 20:11
I am sure Sky would do a good job like they have with the F1 but it is not ideal to have it on a pay channel, especially if it is on the F1 or Sports channels as these cost even more than a basic Sky subscription. I remember when WRC was on ESPN the viewing figures were really dreadful.

Maybe Sky could rebrand "Sky F1 HD" as "Sky Motorsport" though and then WRC would have a good synergy.

Sounds sensible, so it's unlikely to happen. Remember when Sky had Indycar? That wasn't on the F1 channel, that makes me doubt them putting it on Sky F1 HD. The reason they put GP2/3 on there is because it's a F1 feeder series.

Didn't MNews last week mention that it wasn't a financial issue - so it was more likely there wasn't any interest from FTA channels?

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2013, 13:23
I am sure Sky would do a good job like they have with the F1 but it is not ideal to have it on a pay channel, especially if it is on the F1 or Sports channels as these cost even more than a basic Sky subscription. Maybe Sky could rebrand "Sky F1 HD" as "Sky Motorsport" though and then WRC would have a good synergy.

I said exactly this weeks ago when the Monte-Carlo wasnt on UK TV...

It would be great for Sky to get it on as they do sport properly. :)

EightGear
21st February 2013, 12:54
Now suddenly ITV4 looks most likely for the UK.

http://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads6/512619341907d/5126193417558-ITV.png

Sprocket
21st February 2013, 13:44
If we are only getting 1 hour on a Sunday night, looks like I'll be sticking with all you guys following the threads for official vids, live feeds and fan videos during the rally. It's more fun anyway! ;)

GritPics
21st February 2013, 14:29
Still, I'm not going to complain.
1 hour on a Sunday on ITV4 is better than nothing.

makinen_fan
21st February 2013, 14:32
For me is better one decent hour of review than 3 23 minutes programms that show a lot of repeats from previous days. Also being open in ITV4 than skysports is a significant plus. Lets hope they manage to sort it out

Forest 20
21st February 2013, 15:58
Well lets hope ITV 4 get the coverage.

In the mean time German TV coverage times for Mexico:

Servus TV

March

9th 09.30 – 10.00

9th 23.45 – 00.10

11th 21.45 – 23.45

Sport 1

8th 17.30 – 18.00

9th 18.30 – 19.00

10th 20.00 – 21.00

All times GMT

Fast Eddie WRC
21st February 2013, 16:48
Get it sorted someone please !!

Gordini
21st February 2013, 19:45
When will live streaming be used? Redbull need to come with new thing!

MrJan
21st February 2013, 22:35
For me is better one decent hour of review than 3 23 minutes programms that show a lot of repeats from previous days. Also being open in ITV4 than skysports is a significant plus. Lets hope they manage to sort it out

Agree completely, I would far rather watch 50 minutes of reasonable coverage on a Sunday than the current 23 minutes each night, and the advantage of being on ITV4 will hopefully help the sport a bit.

RAS007
22nd February 2013, 16:18

Let's also hope that Paul King has no involvement of any kind.

rallyfiend
22nd February 2013, 16:37

He is though. Surely any deal will just be to take the very same programme that is shown in every English speaking country that it's broadcast in.

If that's the case, then he'll be there, just as he is now.

makinen_fan
22nd February 2013, 17:51

Well said, that's a very important point!

tintin
1st March 2013, 16:49
ITV4 is showing highlights of Rally Mexico on Tuesday 12th at 5.50pm:

myDigiGuide: The Best UK TV Guide - World Rally Championship Highlights (http://www.mydigiguide.com/tv-guide/tv.dll?a=6&h=1&PID=35205)

MrJan
1st March 2013, 17:35

myDigiGuide: The Best UK TV Guide - World Rally Championship Highlights (http://www.mydigiguide.com/tv-guide/tv.dll?a=6&h=1&PID=35205)

Great news if right (ITV4 website currently shows that slot being filled by Minder) but a terrible time. Very unlikely that I'll be home from work in time to catch that, it makes far more sense for them to show it at 7pm instead of some repeats of Cheers (and not just from a personal point of view, it's just odd to get rights to a sport like the WRC and nudge it away from prime time in favour of a 30 year old sitcom)

Edit: Apologies, just realised that I was looking at Tuesday 5th. The point about time slot remains though.

Sprocket
1st March 2013, 17:45
That is a pretty odd slot, but I guess some allowance has to made as it is a new addition for them. Therefore difficult to put it somewhere sensible like a Sunday afternoon like Dave use to, because they have other series scheduled already.

tintin
1st March 2013, 17:54
...and also this is Mexico, so the time difference would make Sunday evening very difficult. When they had WRC before, Mexico and Argentina were always shown on Monday rather than Sunday.

MrJan
1st March 2013, 20:59
...and also this is Mexico, so the time difference would make Sunday evening very difficult. When they had WRC before, Mexico and Argentina were always shown on Monday rather than Sunday.

The fact that it's not on a Sunday isn't an issue for me (I prefer when it's on a few days later).

Likewise it's not really that new to ITV4, they had it before Dave did and ran it in exactly the same time slot IIRC....and have you seen the ITV4 schedules?!!! It's virtually all repeats of Minder, Cheers and the Sweeney.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2013, 22:37

Rubbish slot but better than nothing.

Doon
2nd March 2013, 13:52
Absolute sh#te as usual! If they keep that slot I like many others will still be watching WRC on youtube.

GigiGalliNo1
2nd March 2013, 15:08
ITV 4 to show Rally Mexico... Uncertain regarding the rest of season but it's a start

http://irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00003305

Pecker
5th March 2013, 19:14
Set up Rally Mexico for recording on ITV4 HD and was able to series link for future programmes.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th March 2013, 18:28
Set up Rally Mexico for recording on ITV4 HD and was able to series link for future programmes.

Yes ITV confirmed to show rest of the Season :-)

http://sport-onthebox.com/2013/03/07/motorsport-world-rally-championship-returns-to-uk-tv-with-itv4/

Barreis
8th March 2013, 00:08
Can't believe that I can watch WRC on free to watch small tv station in Croatia. Tonight it was 25 min.Mexico preview. Few months ago it was hope to watch it on Eurosport or some other free to watch tv station. Now we need live tv.

makinen_fan
8th March 2013, 23:23
Stage 1-6 review in wrc.com seems to have a new commentator. On previous event they were made by Paul King i think

RAS007
9th March 2013, 00:44
Stage 1-6 review in wrc.com seems to have a new commentator. On previous event they were made by Paul King i think

Don't tease me.........

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2013, 16:22
Full highlights from Day 2 anyone please ??

stefanvv
9th March 2013, 16:25
Full highlights from Day 2 anyone please ??

Only in Deutch & French so far I'm afraid

makinen_fan
9th March 2013, 17:25
Only in Deutch & French so far I'm afraid

I have seen the SpeedHD coverage (english) from a torrent. I ll see if I can upload somewhere.

@RAS007: no Paul King on this one ;) [/color][/font]

GigiGalliNo1
10th March 2013, 05:09
Paul King not in Mexico. He is doing another event in sport

RAS007
10th March 2013, 06:03
Paul King not in Mexico. He is doing another event in sport

Praise the Lord for small mercies. Incidentally, what other event is he doing? A "live" voiceover for the chariot race in Ben-Hur?

Pecker
10th March 2013, 12:19
Jon Desborough is doing the commentary instead of Paul King in Mexico.

Dug83
10th March 2013, 13:14
Don't get to excited he is rubbish!!! and why does Nueville get almost no coverage??? Doing a lot better than most of the people they give coverage to.

Sprocket
10th March 2013, 14:16
Don't get to excited he is rubbish!!! and why does Nueville get almost no coverage??? Doing a lot better than most of the people they give coverage to.

Maybe because our new commentator can't say 'Nueville'?? I thought he was awful, bring back Paul King please, like now! What was that rubbish that Mikko will now want to cut corners.. they take the best line, cutting the corners more in Mexico will have one very obvious result :dozey: Nothing more distracting than a commentator who doesn't get what is going on...

Dug83
10th March 2013, 14:43
Or saying "the top ten drivers score points, here's Maciek in 11th hurry up"

GigiGalliNo1
10th March 2013, 15:46
or

"JUNIOR, WRC 2 Class"

Emphasizes on the Junior as if it's kiddies in small cars!

Motorsportfun
10th March 2013, 16:59
Canale Italia's tv-magazine "Motoring Rally News" (one of three Italian networks who bought the WRC tv-rights, the only one with on-rally TV-crew) is already editing the Tuesday evening magazine, with their-own interviews (and Red Bull too) and images...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313708_10151468061722829_1306799299_n.jpg

OldF
5th July 2013, 20:42
Nice if this will happen, on a free to air channel.

Ciesla: WRC TV hours can grow by 50% or more over next 3 years.

iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00004462&10)

Franky
7th July 2013, 09:32
[quote="Ciesla"]Currently 75% of our fans&#8230]

I think they should first think why the 75% of the fans are from Europe and then think of growing to the "BRIC" countries.

GigiGalliNo1
18th August 2013, 12:36
Here is what I want for 2014:

One off payment for the year for a subscription to watch Interviews straight from the Service park, similar to WRCLive but video; previews and highlights even though those can stay free for 2-3-4mins but the proper 24 minute highlights for the subscription as otherwise I source on the internet from people recording on tv... I'm not going to pay for the sports package on my sat tv to watch one sport, once a month on one weekend! SILLY.

Subscription to watch the WRC Live from the Power Stage (If it will exist in 2014) ONLINE on the internet. Live HD streaming.

I'd pay a yearly subscription, with options of paying rally by rally or round by round to watch the WRC Coverage LIVE on the internet! That's the best way I think.

Rally France the other year was LIVE on local tv, someone was playing it through their computer and people were watching on the internet! Even though it was in French, I still watched. It was the fact it WAS on the net, illegally though...

miniwintz
18th August 2013, 14:15
Rally France will air live once again this year :) One of the very few good things about this rally...
Unfortunately this year "pay per view" won't be available anymore, it will only be via subscription to a very expensive package. What a shame.

DonJippo
29th October 2013, 11:36
Next season there will be one hour live TV coverage from every event on Sundays, which means that for example NORF will run also on Sunday instead of Thursday to Saturday like it has been for few years.

PLuto
29th October 2013, 12:21
Next season there will be one hour live TV coverage from every event on Sundays, which means that for example NORF will run also on Sunday instead of Thursday to Saturday like it has been for few years.

Are you sure? From Red Bull Media House I have heard only promises, but nothing happened...

makinen_fan
29th October 2013, 12:35
Are you sure? From Red Bull Media House I have heard only promises, but nothing happened...

Exactly, one year on and absolutely nothing has changed apart from having an additional commentator in daily reviews and the brief loop reviews uploaded in wrc.com

Jordib
29th October 2013, 12:46

Next year Rally Sweden ends on saturday, so no live TV coverage?

RBMH is totally crap for now. And what about new website and smartphone/tablet APP? they have done nothing in one year, so we have 2 years lost now. It's a shame.

DonJippo
29th October 2013, 13:06

News is from YLE rallyradio so I do believe it's true.

Hartusvuori
29th October 2013, 13:27

News is from YLE rallyradio so I do believe it's true.

Well, at least rally organiser is fulfilling its role and giving the event a Sunday leg. Of course the live broadcast is up to promoter. Hopefully it comes to life.

kober
29th October 2013, 14:10
RBMH is totally crap for now. And what about new website and smartphone/tablet APP? they have done nothing in one year, so we have 2 years lost now. It's a shame.
From the very beginning RBMH were saying that the new app will be ready for the 2014 season. And regarding the website, not sure if anybody noticed, but the videos are now playable on iOS devices - they used to be flash only - so, there's some progress here.

Jordib
29th October 2013, 14:30
Little progress overall. 1 year to make an APP it's a veeery long time.

For me their work after 1 year it's amost invisible, and according to the news coming from Sweden, for example, they are asking for a lot of money before bringing nothing new or showing success. It's so easy for any enterprise to develop new things only when you earn big amounts of money from the organizers, every promotor should be able to do that easily. I undestand better when a promotor invest first to earn benefits later, that's how i understand it should be, and it should be the way that FIA work on it.

EightGear
29th October 2013, 15:53
If I remember correctly, next year there will be live tracking, a new website and a new app.

OnlyRally
29th October 2013, 20:20
If I remember correctly, next year there will be live tracking, a new website and a new app.

Sounds too good to be true!

RS
13th December 2013, 19:08
Any news yet on whether the 2014 WRC will be on TV in the UK, and whether the live stage on a Sunday will be screened?

I believe live stage will be streamed for free on WRC.COM failing proper tv?

Motorsportfun
13th December 2013, 21:01
Meanwhile, according to Italian mag Rally Emotion, WRC will be aired for the first time on FOX Sports in Italy!
They asked Ciesla in Offenbach and he confirmed the deal (which looks a full premium package, with live broadcasts, daily highlights and event reviews)! Not bad at all, imho...

They talked about also free-to-air tv-rights sells, but I think only highlights...

http://www.rallyemotion.it/7942_wrc-cla ... i-tv-2014/ (http://www.rallyemotion.it/7942_wrc-clamoroso-fox-sports-acquista-diritti-tv-2014/)

the sniper
13th December 2013, 23:52
Any news yet on whether the 2014 WRC will be on TV in the UK, and whether the live stage on a Sunday will be screened?

I believe live stage will be streamed for free on WRC.COM failing proper tv?

You've got to imagine/hope that with TWO Brits in top drives next season, getting a decent TV deal should be more easy than it has been for nearly 10 years! If Red Bull Media House don't capitalise on this situation in the UK next year, they'll have really missed a golden opportunity. My fear though is that these announcements have come too late for 2014, thus it'll be another year written off for the WRC in the UK, another year of obscurity...

(First post here by the way, so hello all. I've been visiting the site since I met Mintexmemory on Rally GB this year (coincidentally, twice) as he told me about this place, so hello again to him as well!)

Mintexmemory
15th December 2013, 11:58
Welcome, mate - glad you found your way here!

Fast Eddie WRC
15th December 2013, 16:04
Surely we can have nightly WRC highlights on UK TV again, now that we'll have 2 British full-time drivers in the Championship.

Plus Wales Rally GB was a huge success in 2013 with great social media coverage indicating there is a mass audience out there...

Allyc85
10th January 2014, 18:19
Big UK TV news, BT sport is to show live stages and nightly highlights of the Monte as part of a new deal for the 2014 season. Im guessing highlights are still on ITV4?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112090

er88
10th January 2014, 18:47
BT Sport are building up their sports portfolio, outbidding every other uk tv station for whatever they want. Expect the viewing figures to be below or similar to when wrc was on ESPN though.

Mirek
10th January 2014, 19:00
Here in CZ the state TV bought rights to broadcast WRC including live coverage. All stuff will be also online on mediasport.cz including some onboards (not live though). It will be probably restricted to Czech IPs. It's definitely good for WRC promotion here.

AndyRAC
10th January 2014, 19:04
BT Sport are building up their sports portfolio, outbidding every other uk tv station for whatever they want. Expect the viewing figures to be below or similar to when wrc was on ESPN though.

Exactly!! So less than 10,000...... Though let's be honest. No free to air TV would have shown any interest in Live WRC. Where does that leave Live streaming in the WRC website or RedBull TV???

At least there is free to air highlights on ITV4....

Fast Eddie WRC
10th January 2014, 19:31
Well happy here... I got BT Sport free with their broadband...

Finally something worth watching on it ..:)

Live WRC at last :bounce:

RS
10th January 2014, 19:52
Good news that live coverage will be available in the UK on proper TV, but I won't be paying for this. I hope it is still on WRC.COM?

rallyfiend
10th January 2014, 20:12
There's no chance that any Live stage coverage will be on WRC.com in any market that they've sold the TV rights to - either pay or free-to-air.

RS
10th January 2014, 20:23
There's no chance that any Live stage coverage will be on WRC.com in any market that they've sold the TV rights to - either pay or free-to-air.

So actually they probably reduced the audience numbers by moving to pay tv :rolleyes:

Motorsportfun
10th January 2014, 20:32
Definitely better than last two years, as WRC finally made its comeback to UK tv in a full-season way. Colin Clark tweeted that both BT Sport/Motors TV/ITV4 will show WRC, with the first one also Live stages.

I think it's not that bad as someone written in the above posts... ;)

litifeta
10th January 2014, 21:22
I would be happy to pay a membership of up to 100 Euro just to get access to the onboards at the end of each day. What we get in AUS is pathetic. You have to wait until someone puts something on YouTube.

AndyRAC
10th January 2014, 21:37

So actually they probably reduced the audience numbers by moving to pay tv :rolleyes:

Probably.
When they could have followed the example of WEC, Blancpain, DTM and had live streaming online; YouTube, Dailymotion and/ or the series website.

rallyfiend
10th January 2014, 22:11
Circuit racing would be infinitely cheaper TV to produce than rallying.

No helicopters, no planes, cabled cameras etc etc.

sindroms
11th January 2014, 09:17
Big UK TV news, BT sport is to show live stages and nightly highlights of the Monte as part of a new deal for the 2014 season. Im guessing highlights are still on ITV4?

Edited by mod, Mintexmemory to remove links to illegal / pirate downloading
You can easily record TV broadcasts using Ace Stream Player. I suggest to register in torrent-tv.ru, you get access to more TV channels then.

RS
11th January 2014, 09:43
For those interested, you get BT Sport free with their broadband, currently half price for 6 months with a £40 Sainsbury giftcard: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/p ... d/packages (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages)

Kielder
11th January 2014, 10:15
Colin Clark ?@voiceofrally
Great to have @MotorsTV covering WRC again this year. And delighted to let you know commentary will be provided by myself and @Becsywecsy

Allyc85
11th January 2014, 12:10
And as a bonus Motors Tv might be going HD at last!

Fast Eddie WRC
11th January 2014, 14:29
BT Sport to broadcast live coverage of the FIA World Rally Championship + full TV choices:

The pay-TV sports channel’s coverage revs into gear with the opening event of the 2014 season next weekend, the famous Rallye Monte Carlo, running from January 14-19.

In total, BT Sport will screen 26 stages across the 13 rallies that make up the 2014 calendar, bringing regular live rallying back to UK screens for the first time since ESPN covered the ‘Power Stages’ during the 2011 WRC season.
BT Sport’s WRC coverage begins a mid-week season preview on January 15 followed by nightly coverage of the Monte Carlo Rally itself over the weekend of January 17-19.

There will be live coverage of both runs over the 10-mile Sospel-Breil sur Roya stage next Saturday afternoon and evening on BT Sport, the second run of which will be a ‘Power Stage’, which rewards its top three finishers with bonus championship points.
Coverage of all other 12 rallies will include a preview and a review show for each rally and a daily highlights show, which will all run across BT Sport’s three channels – BT Sport 1 and 2, and ESPN.

BT Sport viewers will now be able to follow the fortunes of top British drivers Elfyn Evans and Kris Meeke, as well as international stars Sebastien Ogier – the defending world champion – Mikko Hirvonen, Thierry Neuville and Jari-Matti Latvala.
Northern Irishman Meeke will drive for Citroen in 2014 and this will be the first time that British driver has been part of a main factory team since the days when Richard Burns and Colin McRae brought the sport to the British public’s attention in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Ogier and his Volkswagen team begin the defence of their title in Monte Carlo and you can follow all the action throughout the season on BT Sport. BT Sport’s live WRC TV deal does not affect the championship’s arrangement for free-to-air coverage with ITV Sport, who brought the WRC back to mainstream UK television last season.

ITV4 will continue to screen one-hour highlights of each WRC event on Tuesday evenings following each rally.
In addition, dedicated motorsports channel Motors TV has announced that daily highlights of each WRC event will return to its screens in 2014, meaning rally fans now have a choice of following the championship via three different UK networks.

makinen_fan
11th January 2014, 18:43
All these are good!
But I hope the official feed as produced by Red Bull to be improved at last to make it more exciting and worth watching.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th January 2014, 17:02
World Rally Championship promised record live TV coverage in 2014 ... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111511

Lets see... :rolleyes:

SubaruNorway
13th January 2014, 20:47
Powerstage from MC will be live on Viasat Sport in Norway. Live broadcast from Sweden was too expensive since Norway is considered to a the "home" country.

stefanvv
15th January 2014, 14:02
BT Sport can be watched online here - http://www.hqsport.tv/bt_sport1.php

wildboar
15th January 2014, 15:33
Is there an Android app with live WRC timing?

Motorsportfun
15th January 2014, 21:38
Third TV-deal in a row for WRC Promoter in Italy! After FOX Sports and RAI Sport, an agreement was reached with Dinamica Channel, a motors-oriented free-to-air channel!

http://dinamica-channel.it/il-world-ral ... a-channel/ (http://dinamica-channel.it/il-world-rally-championship-dinamica-channel/)

stefanvv
17th January 2014, 00:05

BT Sport? Well, guys... then start to work to get BT Sport on your's PC now ;) http://torrent-tv.ru/category.php?cat=4
Russian site, created to watch TV using torrents. Yes, it might be quite difficult in the start to understand (due to russian language) what to do to get a broadcasts, but use Google Translator - it's definitely worth it. Brilliant stuff!

Main things - get the player, from here - http://torrent-tv.ru/dwl.php?type=aswin ... 1.1.12.exe (http://torrent-tv.ru/dwl.php?type=aswindows&file=soft/Ace_Stream_Media_2.1.10.2_VLC_1.1.12.exe) install, restart PC and... try then by clicking on "BT Sport" shortcut. If everything went well, appears pictures "Starting..." -> "Prebufering...% (connected to... streams)" -> and the broadcast is on :)

You can easily record TV broadcasts using Ace Stream Player. I suggest to register in torrent-tv.ru, you get access to more TV channels then.
I tried this, absolutelly fantastic picture quality :bounce:

A FONDO
17th January 2014, 10:40
okay I installed Ace Stream (no need to restart the PC, just the browser to activate the new plugin) then I see two BT sport channels here: http://torrent-tv.ru/category.php?cat=4
When should broadcast of something rally-relevant begin?

stefanvv
17th January 2014, 10:50
When should broadcast of something rally-relevant begin?
BT Sport 1, 13:00 CET

RS
17th January 2014, 14:29
Live coverage was quite good. A lot of cameras towards the stage start and end.

Could have done with more driver interviews at the end of the stage, and some drivers they missed altogether. Some times just some lingering shots on the spectators??

The day one round up last night was less good. Not much action and too many weird slo-mos.

tolis
17th January 2014, 16:28
When will be the next live coverage?

stefanvv
17th January 2014, 16:42
When will be the next live coverage?
Starts in 15 mins, I hope

RS
18th January 2014, 08:53
Another thing to improve on for future live coverage; there was no footage of Bouffier's spin, Latvala's puncture or Kubica's off - all major events which happened on the live stage and all missed.

AndyRAC
18th January 2014, 11:07
Another thing to improve on for future live coverage; there was no footage of Bouffier's spin, Latvala's puncture or Kubica's off - all major events which happened on the live stage and all missed.

I thought the coverage was pretty good. However, to miss 3 major incidents was slightly odd. Surely all the top runners have an in car camera? They also need to let us hear the pace-notes, and not to talk over them.

stefanvv
18th January 2014, 11:53
Latvala's puncture
I saw that on BT Sport, on medium right cut too much and hit concrete sidewalk.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th January 2014, 16:42
Everyone on Twitter please message @PaulKing_11 and ask him to talk less - we want to hear the CARS and for the on-boards the PACE NOTES !!

RS
18th January 2014, 21:01
Last stage coverage was really poor, mainly because of position and picture quality (light balance?) of on board cameras.

dimviii
18th January 2014, 21:05
Last stage coverage was really poor, mainly because of position and picture quality (light balance?) of on board cameras.

they choosed to make ps at night.I wasn t waiting to see something better than this.

Amateurs,useless dogs.

Franky
18th January 2014, 21:10

they choosed to make ps at night.I wasn t waiting to see something better than this.

Amateurs,useless dogs.

If it would had been a snow covered stage, then it would had been okey because the snow reflects light. But as we all know wet tarmac eats all the light.

But the incar camera position was bad, right where the wipers don't clean the window ...

RS
18th January 2014, 21:11

Amateurs,useless dogs.

It was no problem when Eurosport did it. I guess these guys didn't test the cameras at night or in rain.

dimviii
18th January 2014, 21:31
Eurosport are not amateurs.

Eli
18th January 2014, 21:42
yes, they certanly are not, i wish it would have been eurosport coverage with julien porter, colin clark, john desbrah, and paul king...,miss the days when you had live coverage from eurosport and the highlights from each rally...

EightGear
18th January 2014, 21:54
So we've finally got live stages and yet people keep complaining.

Let's see how it will progress, after all this is the first time this has been done properly.

Eli
18th January 2014, 22:00
true,hopefully it will improve as time progresses and we will have more from it next year...

stefanvv
18th January 2014, 22:08
You can't satisfy everyone :D

RS
18th January 2014, 22:20

Let's see how it will progress, after all this is the first time this has been done properly.

You are wrong; it's not the first time it's been done and it was not done properly :p

It is great we have it, but there is room for improvement. Friday's stage was good, but this evening was almost unwatchable.

Thankfully throughout the season they will not encounter such conditions again so it should be better from here on.

PLuto
19th January 2014, 11:25

I thought the coverage was pretty good. However, to miss 3 major incidents was slightly odd. Surely all the top runners have an in car camera? They also need to let us hear the pace-notes, and not to talk over them.

I have seen only first live coverage and I must say I was quite disappointed. OK, they have lot of cameras at the start and finish. They have some onboard cameras and helicopter, which was not so close to the road. But everything looks like mixture of some random shots without any interest about what is happening on the stage. No splits, no interest about the stage, not so many shots of actual leader, almost no interview at the finish. At Latvala's puncture they arrived at its very end (so almost 2 mins later) etc.

RS
19th January 2014, 12:22

I have seen only first live coverage and I must say I was quite disappointed. OK, they have lot of cameras at the start and finish. They have some onboard cameras and helicopter, which was not so close to the road. But everything looks like mixture of some random shots without any interest about what is happening on the stage. No splits, no interest about the stage, not so many shots of actual leader, almost no interview at the finish. At Latvala's puncture they arrived at its very end (so almost 2 mins later) etc.

You saw the "good" stage Pluto, wait till you see SS15 then you will be really disappointed!

noel157
19th January 2014, 12:40
Great having live stages but last night's was indeed disappointing. When Eurosport did it results were fantastic, ok it was dry on the Turini stage but we saw the road ahead despite darkness. This year we saw very little. Poor cameras, poor positioning or whatever it was not good. This is what I saw most of the time:

http://i.imgur.com/dUQu1uEl.jpg

And Eurosport 2011:

http://i.imgur.com/1rZpfjml.png

RS
19th January 2014, 12:47
Great having live stages but last night's was indeed disappointing. When Eurosport did it results were fantastic, ok it was dry on the Turini stage but we saw the road ahead despite darkness

'Turini night' was a real treat 'back in the day', probably my favourite tv event of the year. Hopefully Red Bull can learn and do better next year.

stefanvv
19th January 2014, 13:10
This is what I saw most of the time:
I think this was because drivers were driving without all lights on, because of the fog at first part of the stage. The rain also paid its role of visibility I guess.

noel157
19th January 2014, 13:15
This is what I saw most of the time:
I think this was because drivers were driving without all lights on, because of the fog at first part of the stage. The rain also paid its role of visibility I guess.

The fog I can understand but the above picture was not in the fog. And of course the rain was a factor but not to such an extent as it rendered pictures totally useless. I'm not not the only person with this opinion. Perhaps the picture wasn't a good example but it does show what most of us thought about the broadcast.

whosyo
19th January 2014, 14:49
Does anyone here who has been annoyed by putting previous days review in highlight coverage?
I was really upset when BTsport puts about 8 minutes review in the last day's highlight.

the sniper
19th January 2014, 17:47
I was really upset when BTsport puts about 8 minutes review in the last day's highlight.

BT Sport wouldn't have done anything. The highlights were produced by Red Bull/'WRC Promoter'. But I agree, it was a bit unnecessary if you'd seen the previous highlights show.

Personally I didn't think the live shows were too bad. Not as good as Eurosport on a good day, but not as terrible as some are making out. The onboards didn't suffer much picture break up, which given the weather conditions was quite impressive, I thought. I still can't understand why the 'over the shoulder' old camera angle has been completely forsaken for the right hand corner dashboard position these days though.

Personally I was more disappointed with the nightly highlights. Too much fluff and not enough coverage of each stage. I think the highlights were better in the early ISC days.

Juha_Koo
19th January 2014, 18:27
I still can't understand why the 'over the shoulder' old camera angle has been completely forsaken for the right hand corner dashboard position these days though.

It's really a simple explanation. Modern WRCs are cramped from the inside and as the helmet bags are situated behind the seats, they have to put the helmets through the main X-bars behind the seats. Therefore it's impossible to have any camera setups there, as the helmets must fit through the seats and the X - camera would block the access.

In C4 WRC, there was a horizontal bar behind the helmet bags, but it was useless angle because it was so far back that the windscreen was 15% of the picture. Focus WRC had slightly tilted vertical bar behind the bags which offered slightly better view than in C4, althought not perfect. In Japan, Ireland and Wales in 2007 a special inboard angle was used in Focus, where camera was right behind codriver's head. It was pretty ok, except in some cars codriver's helmet was too much in the view.

Best "between seats" angle was the one used in the Fiestas equipped with Recaro's "hard" seats. There the camera was mounted to driver seat's "ear". It was really nice. The mounting was only used with drivers who used the hard seats, as camera was not possible to attach to soft seat. In DS3, I don't remember seeing any good between seats angle, the ones used e.g. in Sweden 2011 were really bad.

I don't mind the right-A pillar camera but it could be bit more wideangle to give more sense of speed. Also the adaptation to different lightning conditions should be improved. What I really miss are the external wideangle roof cameras. Given that the lens was clear, I really liked the angle a lot!

Examples of the angles:
2006-2010, usual Focus inboard angle (with a nice external A-pillar angle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHeZAMrpCY
2007 "special" Focus angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTTg30WVV1U#t=299
Pre-2011, C4 bad inboard angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aE--Q#t=53 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HtAg4UaE--Q#t=53)
2011, DS3 inboard angle, not good imho: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8QQu-g#t=7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jE2VY8QQu-g#t=7)
2011 best between the seats angle + very nice wideangle roof camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LIE0onlKk

For example in some Fabia S2000s and Mini RRCs it's possible to get nice between seats angle, because the helmet bags are situated in the codriver footwell and not behind seats.

the sniper
19th January 2014, 18:49
Thanks for the info Juha Koo, I totally forgot about them putting their helmets behind them. Was there anything specific that killed off the roof top cameras or did they just disappear with North One Sport? Like yourself, I miss those too.

RS
19th January 2014, 18:55
[quote="the sniper":1kmlcyxw]I don't mind the right-A pillar camera but it could be bit more wideangle to give more sense of speed.[/quote:1kmlcyxw]

I quite like them too. It is nice to see the driver in action, but sometimes that can be at the expense of being able to see the road properly which is more important in my book.

Just don't put them behind the unwiped bit of the windscreen when it is raining :rolleyes:

Juha_Koo
19th January 2014, 19:02
Thanks for the info Juha Koo, I totally forgot about them putting their helmets behind them. Was there anything specific that killed off the roof top cameras or did they just disappear with North One Sport? Like yourself, I miss those too.

They disappeared with North One Sport... To my knowledge, the new promoter uses different kind of cameras.

Also what has disappeared, are the WRC onboard archives... If my information is correct, at some point NOS had to "destroy" (I don't know what this means) all pre-2006 onboards because they were on Mini-DV tapes (they took a lot of space) and they just ran out space. Teams/drivers might still have some pre-2006 material... I don't know what has happened to 2006-->end of NOS era onboards, last confirmed sighting of them is in cardboard boxes in some London office, where they were packed for shipment to FIA office in Paris because of the promoter ambiguities.

Just don't put them behind the unwiped bit of the windscreen when it is raining :rolleyes:
Very good point.

makinen_fan
20th January 2014, 16:36
I just couldn't resist posting this! The official WRC twitter posts a poor video of the Ogier/Ostberg incident which is a screen-grab of the official video feed.

WRC ?@OfficialWRC 27m
Lucky escape for @MadsOstberg and @SebOgier between the flying finish and stop line on SS8 Rallye Monte Carlo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgtWzyMTD0 …

Are these people serious about their job????

the sniper
20th January 2014, 19:37
WRC ?@OfficialWRC 27m
Lucky escape for @MadsOstberg and @SebOgier between the flying finish and stop line on SS8 Rallye Monte Carlo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgtWzyMTD0 …

Are these people serious about their job????

Wow, that really is quite something... At least we don't have to worry about the WRC shutting down You Tube channels for copyright infringement, they seem to encourage it, even in its crappiest form! :laugh:

Simmi
23rd January 2014, 19:02
Seems the teams aren't happy with the promoters still.

Some issues around a lack of TV coverage certainty and last-minute live filming in the service park.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112248

AndyRAC
23rd January 2014, 19:35
While nobody has expected miracles from RedBull; I don't think they've done anything fantastic. The 'new' WRC website is only slightly better than the old one - more an evolution than a new model (quite apt for Rallying... ;) ).

Are they planning an app? Also, there is more to Promotion than just TV.....

Finally, I'm not too keen on the Promoter inspired return to the 'generic' WRC event - running from Thursday night to Sunday lunchtime...... WRC events should be diverse and different.

RS
23rd January 2014, 20:07
Seems the teams aren't happy with the promoters still.

Some issues around a lack of TV coverage certainty and last-minute live filming in the service park.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112248

What sort of sums do the teams have to pay the promoter? I would have thought the teams' have every right to complain as they are essentially customers of Red Bull Media.

In F1 the top ten teams actually get paid by the promoter!

rallyfiend
23rd January 2014, 20:10
And in Formula 1, the races are run to a very strict schedule and format with little commercial rights for the teams.

You can't always have it both ways.

I think the FIA have increased their prices to the manufacturers, not necessarily the promoter.

SubaruNorway
23rd January 2014, 20:33
If you can make a proper mount to fit on the outside of the right ear on the drivers seat it's perfect and shouldn't be in the way of helmets either.

I did it in the Fiesta WRC here but it's not sturdy enough with the go pro sticky mount and a three joints.
Gopro2 is set to medium wide angel here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQeYHQ3zCU

On top of the co drivers ear with wide angel, didn't angel it high enough here so the spot meter hit the dash instead of the road so it's a bit bright. Using medium wide angel makes it easier to hit that sweet spot. Got a LCD screen now to make it easier to set up :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O3EvHB0bwA

This is about as good as it gets, not sure how it's mounted here but i think it's on the drivers seat ear. It's filmed with a VIO POV HD anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6rWcIqrp8

Rallyper
24th January 2014, 10:11
Aaaah, so it´s you who makes those very nice vids...? The last one is SUPER. I´ve loved once it came out. That´s how all incar should be filmed. Mycket gott! Hälsa Mads och Jonas.

SubaruNorway
26th January 2014, 15:29
I didn't make the last one from the test with Mads, Peter Osckay who used to work for ADAPTA did.
It's always a rush getting inboard camera's mounted at rallies but give me a day and it shouldn't be hard to test it properly and make it perfect :)

Juha_Koo
26th January 2014, 18:15
This also gives really nice angle, VIO HD (lens part) attached with proper tape to codriver seat's left ear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx45JvkxIvY

mousti
26th January 2014, 20:02
http://don.vn.cz/blog/index.php/is-the- ... y-monkeys/ (http://don.vn.cz/blog/index.php/is-the-wrc-coverage-put-together-by-monkeys/)

Ondrej going at it :)

Koceens
27th January 2014, 17:58
http://don.vn.cz/blog/index.php/is-the-wrc-coverage-put-together-by-monkeys/

Ondrej going at it :)
Absolutely my thoughts!

I just can't stand that such unprofessional people are working there. There are plenty of enthusiasts around the world who would give all their heart to get this job done properly because they love and know what is rallying. I'm just one of them.

All those useless onboard camera angles where you have absolutely no feeling of the actual speed the car is going. When I go to rally events I watch onboard videos to choose some nice spots, but with these camera angles all the corners look boring although in real life standing beside the road in the same places your mouth sometimes stays wide open after the 1st car pass you.
Those people should be seated next to Ogier and run through the Ouninpohja for example, maybe then they will understand how the onboard video should look like. :)

In my opinion there is no need for big investments to drastically change the style of the coverage. Just need the right people.
Everyone will benefit from it and most likely more people unfamiliar with rallying will be interested in WRC. I have brought plenty of my friends to their 1st rally and even the most sceptical were super excited with what they saw. Even girls. :)

So rallying is spectacular for allmost everyone, the most of them just don't have a clue what it actually is. The good coverage and promotion is vital to attract more spectators.

Mirek
29th January 2014, 19:30
Even our local promoter mediasport has 1000x better onboards than both WRC and ERC promoters. Every single stupid local event means at least a dozen of onboards in HD on the internet with well placed cameras and all sounds in...

makinen_fan
29th January 2014, 20:45
I think almost all of us share more or less the same view on the onboards shown by the promoter: they are just useless and boring.
Adding to this and also the comment by N.O.T. in the Monte thread, I would like to share an interesting conversation I heard in Wales Rally last November between a VW mechanic and some guy working for Red Bull Media.
The VW mechanic mentioned about camera positioning and that Ogier himself has requested for better camera positioning as he cannot use the onboard and does not understand the road with the current camera placement. Ogier asked for the more traditional placement we all loved, which as a lot of people saying is not possible with current cars, but as SubaruNorway shows above can be done with some effort. Although the argument from the RBMH guy was that placing the camera in the centre was only possible for some cars (because of seat specs maybe???) The problem is that the promoter demands that the onboard cameras are places in the same location in ALL cars (maybe for sake of footage consistency). So their 'only' viable option was/is to put it near the pillar.
Probably thats why don't see anymore some of the experimentation they did early on with different locations. I remember the onboard of Latvala from Acropolis Rally with central camera placement, although ahead of the driver, is a lot more immersive and gives better sense of speed than the one the use now.

Personally I believe nobody from all these people working with the promoter has real passion for the sport to improve it. If they cared about this, they could easily find a solution long time ago.

Motorsportfun
31st January 2014, 20:57
Seems the 2014 TV-guide was born: http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/media/tv-guid ... -80--.html (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/media/tv-guide/western-europe/page/987-2395-80--.html) :D

stefanvv
31st January 2014, 23:33
Seems the 2014 TV-guide was born: http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/media/tv-guid ... -80--.html (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/media/tv-guide/western-europe/page/987-2395-80--.html) :D
I don't think it is something new

the sniper
1st February 2014, 02:34

It's updated for 2014. I don't think the old list has been available since the new site came online. The broadcasters are supposed to be submitting their logo's and broadcast Schedule for February, so it'll be interesting to see if it changes again.

On a separate subject, clips of Toyota president Akio Toyoda's appearance on J Sports in Japan are on You Tube. He makes quite an entry... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOKKOqA95s :D

Motorsportfun
1st February 2014, 11:03

But it is!! :o BT Sport was not signed last year, same for FOX Sports in Italy! :D :D :D