PDA

View Full Version : Future Rally Media Coverage

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Barreis
1st February 2012, 19:48
WRC can not fail. But if Eurosport won't take it, it will be bad for sport.

SubaruNorway
1st February 2012, 20:05
Eurosport deal Off, for now. iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000183&)

Barreis
1st February 2012, 21:45
NOS strikes again, negatively offcourse.
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000184&)

DonJippo
1st February 2012, 22:05
NOS strikes again, negatively offcourse.
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000184&)

If you would have bothered to read the story you might have noticed that the issue is European Employment Law not NOS.

bluuford
1st February 2012, 22:13
The most important fact we can see is the fact that there is a will on both sides. And there is always a way to find some kind of loophole in legislation to avoid unwanted results. But it takes time to make everything 100% sure. So, the last article is very positive, if you read between the lines:-)

RS
1st February 2012, 22:13
If you would have bothered to read the story you might have noticed that the issue is European Employment Law not NOS.

A bit of a grey area as Eurosport are not exactly taking over NOS or an existing contract, as the contract was terminated.

Seems NOS are clutching at straws and I hope this is not the reason that the Eurosport deal is now under threat.

DonJippo
1st February 2012, 22:32
A bit of a grey area as Eurosport are not exactly taking over NOS or an existing contract, as the contract was terminated.

Seems NOS are clutching at straws and I hope this is not the reason that the Eurosport deal is now under threat.

Same to you, read through the text and try to understand the issue, NOS has nothing to do with this other than it's dead and buried. If the text is true layers just want to make it sure everything happens by the law otherwise it may turn out to be very costly to Eurosport.

Brother John
2nd February 2012, 05:43
Same to you, read through the text and try to understand the issue, NOS has nothing to do with this other than it's dead and buried. If the text is true layers just want to make it sure everything happens by the law otherwise it may turn out to be very costly to Eurosport.

Thanks anyway Europe! and then rallying just a side issue.

rallyfiend
3rd February 2012, 11:11
So, hearing that the FIA have decided that there will be no consistent TV coverage this year. It will be the responsibility of each event organiser to prepare and distribute.

What a disaster. Todt and his cronies should go down hard for this.

Francis44
3rd February 2012, 11:24
So, hearing that the FIA have decided that there will be no consistent TV coverage this year. It will be the responsibility of each event organiser to prepare and distribute.

What a disaster. Todt and his cronies should go down hard for this.

Total joke..... Todt should leave the FIA.

Motorsportfun
3rd February 2012, 11:36
BN: bye bye Eurosport...

Miika
3rd February 2012, 12:25
No surprise really, wasn´t this meltdown predicted ages ago by the Mayans (2012) ?

Barreis
3rd February 2012, 12:36
What about MotorsTV?!

rallyfiend
3rd February 2012, 12:37
What about MotorsTV?!

Without anyone to produce the content, there's no anyone!

N.O.T
3rd February 2012, 12:37
well i think when you put a fat ugly midget who cannot even speak properly on a power train this is what you get...

The FIA only care about their ladyboy oversized kart championship since its the cash cow due to the hordes of fat incompetent fans following it...

Rally should find or establish a new governing body to take care of their matters...

Miika
3rd February 2012, 13:01
Season review already up for pre-orders:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9339/wrc2012disaster.jpg

Fly
3rd February 2012, 14:08
Rally Sweden's organisers are trying to do it by themselves in order to have a decent coverage of the event.

According to AUTOhebdo.fr | WRC : La Suède cherche une issue (http://www.autohebdo.fr/rallye/wrc/breve-26-1-21229/030212-wrc-la-suede-cherche-une-issue)

wildboar
3rd February 2012, 14:41
Colin Clark on twitter

Astonished by what I’m hearing from Paris! No global promoter/ distributor this year for WRC. Individual rallies responsible themselves.

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/voiceofrally)

RS
3rd February 2012, 14:52
Not every rally organiser is going to be able to afford to employ Eurosport (or whoever), and then what happens to the distribution?

I hope this hasn't happened only because of EU rules and/or NOS threatening to kick up a fuss. They already caused enough damage.

Allyc85
3rd February 2012, 16:47
What did I say the other day about the WRC going any lower. With Mini seemingly on its way out, these have to be the blackest days for the sport and that arrogant little prick Todt must be held fully responsible for not sorting a new deal!

tfp
3rd February 2012, 17:31
What did I say the other day about the WRC going any lower. With Mini seemingly on its way out, these have to be the blackest days for the sport and that arrogant little prick Todt must be held fully responsible for not sorting a new deal!

Well said, Ive heard about what went on today, bloody shocking to say the least. We should have a poll, "should Todt stay or go" and see if the results of the poll are unanimous.
If you ask me, Jean Todt is a t1t and should be kicked out immediatly.
I consult N.O.T to create some new swear words for me to use in place of Jean Toddlers name....

Salist
3rd February 2012, 17:35
Bad news from the talks
The FIA has admitted to event organisers there's been no successful outcome to its talks with Eurosport Events to take on the global promotion of the World Rally Championship, and they will have to make their own arrangements for television coverage.
More as we get it.

Source: iRally

SubaruNorway
3rd February 2012, 17:43
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000199&)

SubaruNorway
3rd February 2012, 18:14
2012 FIA World Rally Championship (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/fia-wrc-2012.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Who are these others interested in the deal?

A FONDO
3rd February 2012, 18:16
Dont hurry to judge before the case is clarified. There's a rumour that Eurosport wanted to take all the authority over the arrangement of the calendar, especially dropping traditional events for a fistful of dollars more from India Brazil Bangladesh etc. while FIA didnt agree and decided to protect the sport. Lets wait and see, long-term plans are more important than missing footage from few events.

RS
3rd February 2012, 18:53
Dont hurry to judge before the case is clarified. There's a rumour that Eurosport wanted to take all the authority over the arrangement of the calendar, especially dropping traditional events for a fistful of dollars more from India Brazil Bangladesh etc. while FIA didnt agree and decided to protect the sport

Really? Todt was saying pretty much the opposite recently.

JAM
3rd February 2012, 19:02
Stage One technology has a deal to Rally Sweden. At least the times and split times will be available. Unless the deal is also broken...

Eurosport tried to play hard because knew that FIA had urgency in a deal, but it seems that Todt decided to give a lesson to Loti.

Only the future will tell if it is the best option

A FONDO
3rd February 2012, 19:13
Really? Todt was saying pretty much the opposite recently.
not "pretty much the opposite" ! many things were said recently but from both different sides! JT is looking to the future while promoters think only for the biggest profit for coupla years

Barreis
3rd February 2012, 19:38
This is disaster, first no Eurosport deal, then no works mini, horror.

Rally Power
3rd February 2012, 19:59
We should have a poll, "should Todt stay or go" and see if the results of the poll are unanimous.
If you ask me, Jean Todt is a t1t and should be kicked out immediatly.

I’m not a Todt fan, but it seems totally unfair to blame him on this WRC promoter mess.

Firstly it was Mr. Mosley that strangely decided, two years ago, to extend ISC unproductive partnership, frustrating Eurosport will to revitalize WRC, after their proven success on IRC.

After this controversial choice, NOS, ISC new owner, has failed to accomplished their job and get insolvent as we all know, putting WRC and the FIA in a delicate situation, leaving no option to break up NOS contract.

Now there are some UE laws that difficult FIA task to endorse WRC promotion to new entities, not allowing a global tv coverage.

Of course we all want FIA to speedily sort a B plan in order to get WRC worldwide covered, but blaming those who aren’t responsible for this crisis won’t surely benefit the sport.

Rally Power
3rd February 2012, 20:24
Dont hurry to judge before the case is clarified. There's a rumour that Eurosport wanted to take all the authority over the arrangement of the calendar, especially dropping traditional events for a fistful of dollars more from India Brazil Bangladesh etc. while FIA didnt agree and decided to protect the sport. Lets wait and see, long-term plans are more important than missing footage from few events.

WRC promoters shouldn't be allowed to decide sport issues like calendar settlement, rallies profiles or cars technical regulations. These should be FIA matters, decided with WRC organizers, manufactureurs and teams/drivers.

The promoter job it's to promote the WRC package, not to arrange it acording to his intere$$$$t...

Allyc85
3rd February 2012, 20:28
Why cant the FIA tell the few remaining fans of this great sport exactly what is going on, surely it is the least we deserve?

rallyfiend
3rd February 2012, 20:30
WRC promoters shouldn't be allowed to decide sport issues like calendar settlement, rallies profiles or cars technical regulations. These should be FIA matters, decided with WRC organizers, manufactureurs and teams/drivers.

The promoter job it's to promote the WRC package, not to arrange it acording to his intere$$$$t...

Completely disagree.

F1 is the success it is because the commercial rights were fully given to the Promoter.

The ability to add or remove good/poor events from the calendar should be decided on more than political expediency towards whoever happens to be a member of the World Motor Sport Council at the time.

Tech stuff, fine, no problem.

PLuto
3rd February 2012, 20:30
FIA cannot say directly, that they want to kill WRC...

Allyc85
3rd February 2012, 20:49

It does seem that way :(

gravelman
3rd February 2012, 21:01

Hate to say it but you could be right. It would appear that f1 must be protected at all costs from rival series even within the fia family

PLuto
3rd February 2012, 21:03
They are killing WRC systematically last ten years...

Rally Power
3rd February 2012, 21:07
Completely disagree.

F1 is the success it is because the commercial rights were fully given to the Promoter.

The ability to add or remove good/poor events from the calendar should be decided on more than political expediency towards whoever happens to be a member of the World Motor Sport Council at the time.

I understand your pragmatic example, but F1 itsn't a sport, it's a hight tech vanity fair!
That's why Mr. Ecclestone rejects european grand prix, the F1 sport essence, and has put the circus on the petrodollars route.

Instead of F1 we can talk about the global sucess of football, managed by keeping the sport faithfull to his nature.

Even evolving, WRC should keep the traditional issues, like iconic rallies, multisurface routes or long stage formats over marketing flamboyant expedients.

A.F.F.
3rd February 2012, 21:34
Shame really..... but rallying never dies. I don't see how WRC could be a threat to F1? It never has been and never will.

sollitt
3rd February 2012, 22:20
You're absolutely correct Rally Power. The sporting matters (Calendar, Technical & sporting rules) must remain under the control of the sport whilst the promoters role is to promote and raise the profile of the championship ... working within the parameters set by the sport.
Anything less and we create a circus that would no longer resemble the sport as we know it.

Plan9
4th February 2012, 06:14
I despair at the moment with Rally. I don't understand why Eurosport does not want to do the while season? Ironically these latest developments will not affect NZ WRC fans much at all as we do not get it free to air anyway.

F1boat
4th February 2012, 09:06
The Eurosport has the IRC, so it is not desperate for another rally-series. If they really wanted to change the calendar to suite their interests, I am happy that FIA declined their offer, because I'd hate to see a WRC series which consists of Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, etc. But FIA are also to blame for choosing the wrong promoter before Eurosport. The situation if horrible because WRC is one of the best series in the world and is managed badly. I hope that at least Motors TV are showing the rallies?

cali
4th February 2012, 10:21
If no-one is producing the footage, then how can Motors TV show rallies?

skarderud
4th February 2012, 10:40
Swedish television does, so its probably footages from them.

F1boat
4th February 2012, 10:53
Swedish television does, so its probably footages from them.

I hope so. The Swedish rally is one of my favorites.

PLuto
4th February 2012, 12:01
The Eurosport has the IRC, so it is not desperate for another rally-series. If they really wanted to change the calendar to suite their interests, I am happy that FIA declined their offer, because I'd hate to see a WRC series which consists of Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, etc. But FIA are also to blame for choosing the wrong promoter before Eurosport. The situation if horrible because WRC is one of the best series in the world and is managed badly. I hope that at least Motors TV are showing the rallies?

From what I know, FIA officials are the person who wants to have less events in Europe and are thinking about moving to Brazil, China or Russia...

4th February 2012, 13:07
I have a friend in UK who has hear a rumour that company called 'Extreme Video' is taking over coverage form Eurosport. They did coverage around 10 years ago

noel157
4th February 2012, 13:12
From what I know, FIA officials are the person who wants to have less events in Europe and are thinking about moving to Brazil, China or Russia...

Presume these are countries FIA officials haven't had the chance to visit on an all expenses paid trip...................

wildboar
4th February 2012, 13:23
Maybe we can have a new thread where Wlad the Great, WRC_FanGirl12 and rs2000dave can discuss extreme video and related issues?

gtimad73
4th February 2012, 13:28
i was thinking the same thing.. strange how the,ve never posted before but want to bang on about some company..

Allyc85
4th February 2012, 13:30
Why? They are discussing or hinting at a new company taking over the coverage which is what this thread is about. While they are very welcome, it is odd that they are all first time posters joining at the same time ;)

Miika
4th February 2012, 13:32
I thought I was doing the TV coverage this year, I already paid Jean 20 bucks for the rights.

gtimad73
4th February 2012, 13:33
Well to me its a bit odd. but there free to say what they want.. im not for one minute saying they cant post. but i have a feel there all work for the same pr company

gtimad73
4th February 2012, 13:37
no i've not seen anything like that. other people may no more..

Mark39
4th February 2012, 13:39
Yeah but theres been a lot of talk about Extreme video Producing it all, multi platform, 24 hour tv coverage, streamed to phones and itunes, that would be something

WRC_FanGirl12
4th February 2012, 13:41
Yeah, a friend told me that Extreme Video are bidding on it at the moment, had a little look and their stuff's really good quality!

Miika
4th February 2012, 13:41
Where is N.O.T and his LOLs when you need them.

gtimad73
4th February 2012, 13:44
Seems like another NOS to me

rallyfiend
4th February 2012, 13:47
Yeah, a friend told me that Extreme Video are bidding on it at the moment, had a little look and their stuff's really good quality!

Bidding on it? What exactly does that mean, given that every rally organiser has to sort their own thing now?

who are they bidding to? Each event? I'm sure everyone with a camera is running towards them to do it.

Filming is one thing, distributing it is a completely different matter.

Who's going to pay them?

N.O.T
4th February 2012, 14:18
Ban those useless gimmicks selling retarded rumours about the coverage and their nobody studio of nothingness.....!!!!

3 accounts already all with the same rumour about the extreme video of Sh###

I come from a 3rd world country and was able to figure that out...i would expect better from people who have electricity in their houses for more than 3 hours a day....

Brother John
4th February 2012, 14:28
I have a friend in UK who has hear a rumour that company called 'Extreme Video' is taking over coverage form Eurosport. They did coverage around 10 years ago

Why do you write this in multiple threads?
until ther is more news you can use Future Rally Media Coverage (http://www.motorsportforums.com/wrc/137024-future-rally-media-coverage.html)

Sulland
4th February 2012, 14:44
Ban those useless gimmicks selling retarded rumours about the coverage and their nobody studio of nothingness.....!!!!

3 accounts already all with the same rumour about the extreme video of Sh###

I come from a 3rd world country and was able to figure that out...i would expect better from people who have electricity in their houses for more than 3 hours a day....

Not 3rd world yet, but if you are not alowed to go bankrupt soon, you and maybe more euro countries will become :-(

4th February 2012, 14:47
Why do you write this in multiple threads?
until ther is more news you can use Future Rally Media Coverage (http://www.motorsportforums.com/wrc/137024-future-rally-media-coverage.html)

Sorry I am new to this, I heard news form friend in UK and come to forums to see if true, if anyone hear the same. Maybe I start new thread so people can post opinions or new update

cali
4th February 2012, 15:02
Take a chill pill ;)

noel157
4th February 2012, 15:20
Maybe we can have a new thread where Wlad the Great, WRC_FanGirl12 and rs2000dave can discuss extreme video and related issues?

Yep, real coincidence isn't it.
There's also one on my local rally forum, guy joined today and posted something very similar. Spammers.

satnav
4th February 2012, 16:03
Just seen on Rally Sweden site that they have been talking to companies about production , read it here ;

Race against the clock for the broadcast « Rally Sweden (http://www.rallysweden.com/race-against-the-clock-for-the-broadcast?lang=en)

Don't see extreme video mentioned !!!

gtimad73
4th February 2012, 17:15
they dont really mention any one..

bobby88
4th February 2012, 17:34
All it really confirms is no Eurosport :(

Fast Eddie WRC
4th February 2012, 21:19
Rally Sweden: "We are facing a tough challenge given that the race starts with a super special stage on Thursday evening, but we are optimistic and believe in a solution."

Lets hope they're right, but what a mess the FIA have made of the WRC coverage.

A.F.F.
4th February 2012, 22:53
Where is N.O.T and his LOLs when you need them.

Sheep herding. :D

noel157
4th February 2012, 23:03
Sheep herding. :D

More than just herding................. :)

Juha_Koo
4th February 2012, 23:27
Really gutted by the recent events. Maybe NOS coverage wasn't the best possible but for sure it was better than nothing! And they had routine.

A real shame for WRC, if nothing special happens this is the beginning of an end for the series as we know it. V*ttu mitä paskaa.

tfp
5th February 2012, 01:23
More than just herding................. :)

Shearing? Haha :D

Andre Oliveira
5th February 2012, 01:46
Motors Tv announces the Preview Show for Sweden. So at least, we will have Motors Tv coverage.

Maui J.
5th February 2012, 02:33
I despair at the moment with Rally. I don't understand why Eurosport does not want to do the while season? Ironically these latest developments will not affect NZ WRC fans much at all as we do not get it free to air anyway.

???What???
Free to Air or Pay TV is irrelevant.
We are not talking about the broadcaster, we are talking about one nominated production company traveling to all events making the shows. With consistent voice overs, the same results graphics, similar format highlights packages etc.

At the moment how it stands without a promotor, is that each individual WRC round organisers with have to employ local production companies to video the stages, record interviews, supply graphics etc and then quickly edit and distribute across the globe within hours of the day finishing.

tmx
5th February 2012, 05:27
Completely disagree.

Not in this context. It would only work if the promoter promotes the events, not just pocket the money. Might want to check with Turkey and Korea about their 'success story'. In the end, Bernie wins.

At least I could watch free WRC onboards on YouTube, Bernie doesn't let me do that for F1.

rallyfiend
5th February 2012, 11:07
There is some very interesting things being said on the Extreme Video FB page.

Extreme Video | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ExtremevideoUK?ref=ts)

No there isn't.

I believe this to be an act of delusion....

Rally Hokkaido
5th February 2012, 11:12
No, there isn't. It's just some child or children playing as they did on this forum yesterday (hint: check how old that fb page is). Moderators, please remove posts mentioning this fictitious company as it may be misleading members during a serious time for the WRC.

Edit: Thanks rallyfiend, you beat me to it!

Allyc85
5th February 2012, 11:15
I didnt say it was in a good or bad way, calm down ladies ;)

Franky
5th February 2012, 17:19
It might sound funny but that company actually does exist. It is owned by a man named Jonathan Thursby. Their website is a complete joke. Also the fact that they created the Youtube account on the 1st February this year is a bit strange. But the thing that doesn't add up is this - Extreme Video - Products (http://evgroup.co.uk/Products/products.htm) -, and the Thursby character.

oph
5th February 2012, 21:18
Norwich-based TV company steps in to buy EPIC studios from Norfolk County Council - Business - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/norwich_based_tv_company_steps_in_to_buy_epic_stud ios_from_norfolk_county_council_1_1195572)

James Graham
5th February 2012, 21:25
The Extreme Video story appears to be something that could go either way. It may be that an entrepreneur with WRC experience and the technology and backing is making the most of an opportunity created by this mess. Then again, it could be all hype and people clutching at straws and the whole thing may fade away to nothing.

I am particularly annoyed at the FIA at the moment as it was only today that they told me they would not issue a photographer pass for Rally Sweden. The Sunday before a rally! It is a complete joke, the FIA is run by dinosaurs. It isn’t as if every click and every visitor can be tracked on the internet is it?!

I appreciate that awarding passes to every website is impractical but with the payment required it weeds out the chancers and if they bothered to stop and think about it they could decide on minimum unique visitors or any other metric as a way to only include the bigger websites in coverage. It isn't as if EVERY single click and visitor to a website can be monitored and tracked is it?!

If they were even slightly more progressive and embraced new media they could increase media coverage tenfold overnight.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I have come up with a low budget (initially) solution to try to bring together some form of coverage from Rally Sweden.
People power could really change things; real fans doing things their way. There are enough of us who have specialist skills in IT, web development, web design, social media, film making, photography, writing, presenting etc. Let us, the fans, create THE best rally website in the world.

I am happy to donate World Rally Review | The Online Rally Magazine (http://www.WorldRallyReview.com) to form the foundation of this project which could really develop into something. Think live streaming, interactive maps, podcasts, webisodes, on the spot reports from fans, split times, an app, a tablet version of the website and even our very own glossy magazine or book. The opportunities are endless. We can have the very latest videos and photos online before the official outlets have even seen them.

World Rally Review could be the Linux or Wordpress of the rally world, an open source rally magazine run by the people. Nobody to tell us what we can and cannot watch or when we can and cannot watch it.

Social media has helped to create political change for entire countries. We only want to use it to create change in a sport we all love. How hard can that be?

Those that are interested can email e-mail us on [email:12axu5ip]revolution@worldrallyreview.com[/email:12axu5ip] to let us know what you have to offer or what you would like to see. Spread the word on Facebook, Twitter and everywhere else and let’s take back control of rallying and change things for the better, on our terms.

So who wants to be part of a rally revolution? Or are we all just apathetic and prefer to moan about the problems rather than doing something about it?

Let’s fix the WRC ourselves (http://www.worldrallyreview.com/2012/people-power-to-solve-wrc-rally-sweden-2012-coverage-crisis/)

noel157
5th February 2012, 22:07
It might sound funny but that company actually does exist. It is owned by a man named Jonathan Thursby. Their website is a complete joke. Also the fact that they created the Youtube account on the 1st February this year is a bit strange. But the thing that doesn't add up is this - Extreme Video - Products (http://evgroup.co.uk/Products/products.htm) -, and the Thursby character.

It may exist but what kind of credibility does a company generate by spamming rally forums with stupidly written one-off posts? They've succeeded in bringing the name to people's attention, just for the wrong reasons.

satnav
5th February 2012, 23:10
There's now another update on Rally Sweden website ;

TV issue still alive (http://www.rallysweden.com/tv-issue-still-alive-%e2%80%93-decision-on-tuesday?lang=en)

Still a bit of work needs done yet

rallyfiend
6th February 2012, 09:11
There's now another update on Rally Sweden website ;

TV issue still alive (http://www.rallysweden.com/tv-issue-still-alive-%e2%80%93-decision-on-tuesday?lang=en)

Still a bit of work needs done yet

And still no Extreme Video in the picture!

N.O.T
6th February 2012, 09:17
The fact that we do not have a promoter might also lead to some good things as well...for example teams and drivers might use incar cameras that are actually exciting (like the ford testing helmet cams and the ostberg one) instead of those MTV3 onboard specials which although they did a good job (all credit to them)as far as quality goes and selection of stages the position of the cameras was horrendous....

Lets wait and see...

Darkstar and rallymedia.nl should form a company and go to that fat midget and ask for a budget to cover the events from now on...add some Pluto and his fantastic autosport.cz for service interviews.... split the revenue of the WRC media rights when a country buys the footage....they get rich, we get top coverage from people who are passionate about the sport...the fat midget will cry and i will be happy.

Forest 20
6th February 2012, 10:04
Motors Tv announces the Preview Show for Sweden. So at least, we will have Motors Tv coverage.

They have been plugging that for the last week and also the three rally days nightly shows. But their Monte coverage was Eurosport video (with different commentator days 2 to 5). Euosport are unlikely to be at Sweden so what will Motors show?

F1boat
6th February 2012, 11:23
I want to ask a hypothetical questions. If, God forbids, the WRC ceases to exist, will the IRC become the top-rally championship? Maybe Eurosport are waiting for the demise of the of the classic series in order to lure top-teams into their own championship?

JAM
6th February 2012, 11:50
I want to ask a hypothetical questions. If, God forbids, the WRC ceases to exist, will the IRC become the top-rally championship? Maybe Eurosport are waiting for the demise of the of the classic series in order to lure top-teams into their own championship?

Demise? Is the IRC that is on his last season, not WRC.

Next year IRC and ERC will be together, so if anyone ceases is IRC.

I have no doubt thar Eurosport tryed to obtain something big to be a WRC promoter. But FIA decide not give them something so big.

Eurosport was not able to make IRC survive, Eurosport has in hands a championship that is declining (WTCC). These are thing to take in account. They do a good job, but they are extremely expensive.

N.O.T
6th February 2012, 12:42

LOL...

GL Media Pro
6th February 2012, 13:31
Demise? Is the IRC that is on his last season, not WRC.

Next year IRC and ERC will be together, so if anyone ceases is IRC.

I have no doubt thar Eurosport tryed to obtain something big to be a WRC promoter. But FIA decide not give them something so big.

Eurosport was not able to make IRC survive, Eurosport has in hands a championship that is declining (WTCC). These are thing to take in account. They do a good job, but they are extremely expensive.

IRC and ERC togheter in 2013???!!!! Wait another week... after you will know.... :) wait wait....

bobby88
6th February 2012, 14:38

The website is definitely shoddy, looks like a high school kid chucked it together on his lunch break, which does beg the question of if the website is that bad, what's the rest like. And the consistent spamming was ridiculous. But in all fairness the link oph shared did seem hopeful, he has worked within the WRC before. But who knows?! It's likely to go to Eurosport as they're already more well known, and if not, my previous suggestion of Go Pro cams in the roll cage and hand helds on track side :)

F1boat
6th February 2012, 17:02
LOL...

I am sorry if I have involuntarily amused the rally fans here with an uneducated question, but I admit that I follow circuit racing more closely than rally, although I do enjoy both WRC and IRC. I was not aware that IRC is in dire situation, as JAM said, I thought that the live coverage of the stages boosted its popularity, when the WRC clearly struggles with no promoter in the moment. Maybe I was wrong and I will be happy if someone has the patience to explain to me the situation with the two championships and their popularity.
As a fan of touring car racing however, I am not sure that the WTCC is in decline. Last year we had a highly entertaining championship duel between Muller and Huff and the races were fun, although not as much as the BTCC. Now new manufacturers are entering the series as well as new teams and drivers. IMO it is a bit early to write off the WTCC.
On the other hand, maybe in these dark days every series suffers except maybe the glorious child of Mr. Ecclestone, Formula One. Look what mess is the WEC turning into, after the exodus of Peugeot...
But I am blabbering and have gone off topic, for which I am sorry. Still, I needed to share my thoughts. :)

Mirek
6th February 2012, 17:22
The situation with IRC is not that it is going to die but that there have been talks between FIA and Eurosport to merge ERC and IRC to one championship having ERC name. The reasons are clearly logical - IRC covers mostly European events, has good media coverage and competition while European championship has an official FIA championship status (something IRC doesn't have) but almost no competition. Merging both into a strong European championship is a logical move but it needs to find agreement between FIA and Eurosport and I can imagine it can end same as with WRC.

F1boat
7th February 2012, 09:01
The situation with IRC is not that it is going to die but that there have been talks between FIA and Eurosport to merge ERC and IRC to one championship having ERC name. The reasons are clearly logical - IRC covers mostly European events, has good media coverage and competition while European championship has an official FIA championship status (something IRC doesn't have) but almost no competition. Merging both into a strong European championship is a logical move but it needs to find agreement between FIA and Eurosport and I can imagine it can end same as with WRC.

Now I see. Sounds like a great idea.

Brother John
7th February 2012, 09:32
Rally Sweden.
The rally got to get three million before lunch.
How much must the Swedish Rally Ltd have secured the revenues at lunchtime today that it will be broadcasting from the World Championship.
Almost three million dollars.
Source: Swedish newspaper.
Rallyt måste fixa tre miljoner före lunch | Värmlands Folkblad (http://www.vf.se/sport/bilsport/rallyt-maste-fixa-tre-miljoner-fore-lunch)

Miika
7th February 2012, 09:41
Three million kronor says the article, is Swedish krona level with the dollar or?

Franky
7th February 2012, 09:47
Three million kronor says the article, is Swedish krona level with the dollar or?

I'm pretty sure that at some point I read somewhere earlier the number 300k Euros. Tried to search for the news I read it but couldn't find that number any more.

DonJippo
7th February 2012, 09:51

Yes three million kronor which is about 300k€.

skarderud
7th February 2012, 09:52
I think you can split with 7. Aprox 300.000 €!

Miika
7th February 2012, 09:53
OK then it is still the same 300k that was mentioned a couple of days ago, so no changes there then.
iRally | The free independent Rally App for the iPhone, iPad and Android (http://www.irallylive.com/ir_news.htm?00000214&10)

Brother John
7th February 2012, 10:27
Rally Coverage this weekend in Sweden.

This Progam is already announced by SVT. Also found on this website Det blir tv från Svenska Rallyt! | Motorsport | Teknikens Värld (http://www.teknikensvarld.se/2012/02/07/28285/det-blir-tv-fran-svenska-rallyt/)

Thursday 

February 9:
22:45 to 23:15 SVT1: Before the Swedish Rally

Friday, February 10th:
22:45 to 23:15 SVT2: Swedish Rally, summary

Saturday, February 11th:

11:40 to 12:00 SVT1/Play/Mobil: Swedish Rally (included in the Winter Studio)
18:45 to 19:00 SVT1/Play/Mobil: Swedish Rally (included in the Winter Studio)

Sunday, February 12th:
12:25 to 12:40 SVT1/Play/Mobil: Swedish Rally (included in the Winter Studio)
16:00 to 16:10 SVT1/Play/Mobil: Swedish Rally (included in the Winter Studio)
22:45 to 23:40 SVT1: Swedish Rally, summary

Viking
7th February 2012, 12:14
Decision put on hold a few hours more

Utökad tidsfrist om TV-produktion « Rally Sweden (http://www.rallysweden.com/utokad-tidsfrist-om-tv-produktion)

Fast Eddie WRC
7th February 2012, 21:20
Rally Sweden finalises its own deal to keep event on international TV

By David Evans Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 16:53 GMT

http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1328633780.jpg
'The organisers of this week's Rally Sweden have confirmed there will be international television coverage of the event.
Event CEO Glenn Olsson concluded a deal on Tuesday afternoon to ensure that the second round of the World Rally Championship will be filmed with footage available across the world.
Motors TV is expected to screen the footage in the UK, with nightly reports and a round-up on Sunday afternoon.
Olsson said: "We are doing this for all our fans to save the championship and its organisers and teams, and not least for our own sake and our sponsors. This is a multi-million [euro] project and, as we are not ready with the economics, this is very hazardous for us."
Scandinavian fans are well-covered this year. Terrestrial deals are already in place for Sweden, Norway and Denmark, although these will have to be renegotiated now with each round of the series.
This is the first time in 20 years that an individual round of the WRC has negotiated its own television rights. The FIA stated late last week that events would have to do this following the break down in negotiations with Eurosport - the French firm which had been expected to film and distribute WRC footage throughout 2012.'

Great news that there will be coverage :) , but a shame its not gonna be on Eurosport with its better commentators and HD channel :(

danon
7th February 2012, 21:55
The FIA is now calling for expressions of interest to identify candidates interested in getting involved as an agent, a promoter or an investor in the promotion of the Championship with a view to concluding a multi-year contract. (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/wrc-expression.aspx)

GigiGalliNo1
8th February 2012, 00:51
See below

International TV coverage of the 2012 Swedish Rally will go ahead, though there is still not enough money to cover the costs.
The Rally had called for support from the FIA, manufacturers and sponsors as it sought to create the TV package, following the decision by the FIA to hand back responsibility for television to the events on Friday night.
The Finnish Filmworks company will now produce the TV highlights and news feeds, and distribute these around the world.
The go-ahead comes after 4 days of frantic work by the organisers, led by Glenn Olsson, Chief Executive of Rally Sweden.
Other rallies in the series will breathe a sigh of relief: if the Swedish TV coverage had not happened, broadcasters might have given up altogether on the WRC.
But Sweden is still seeking commitments on all sides, and it is being stressed that this is being done in the interests of the sport.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th February 2012, 22:02
Tue, 14 Feb 2012

The FIA is confident that it will nail down international television coverage for the World Rally Championship this week.

Following the loss of North One Sport as promoter and the subsequent collapse of talks with Eurosport, there had been grave concerns for footage from this year's series. Eurosport agreed a deal with the organisers of the Monte Carlo Rally and Finnish firm Filmworks did the same with last week's Rally Sweden.
The ideal scenario is the central distribution and sales of television coverage of the whole WRC. It's known that a deal had been made with ITV4 for more comprehensive coverage of WRC in 2012 and it's this kind of deal that the FIA is hoping it can achieve again for this season. Individual events have now been told to stop working with local broadcasters.
With an FIA-sanctioned deal ready to be signed this week, there are fears that, having been told by the FIA that the television rights to their events belong to the rallies, some event organisers will complete multi-year agreements with local stations and weaken the FIA's position to attract a series-wide promoter.

WRC Commission president Jarmo Mahonen told AUTOSPORT: "The television should be okay. I can't go to details, but we are working to the plans to have central distribution - we should come out with these plans in the next few days."

Mahonen admitted that the production of television wasn't a concern, adding: "That's the small part on this game. The big thing is about the distribution and maintaining the broadcasters [around the world]. Our aim is to plan and find a system very quickly for the central distribution of footage."

Asked if the FIA could distribute footage, Mahonen replied: "That is one possibility or you put it out to agencies there are several agencies around the world who can do this."
Rally Sweden distributed the coverage it underwrote at a cost of 300,000 to 30 broadcasters, ensuring the Jari-Matti Latvala's victory on the Karlstad-based event was seen in more than 120 territories last week.

bt52b
16th February 2012, 02:13
IMG McCormick, Extreme Video, Al Jazeera, any other hats rumoured to be in the ring?
AUTOhebdo.fr | Promotion du WRC bientôt assurée ? (http://www.autohebdo.fr/rallye/wrc/article-26-1-9511/140212-promotion-du-wrc-bientot-assuree-)

The IMG McCormick link is interesting considering the amount of money blown in end of year big prize golf tournaments

rallyfiend
16th February 2012, 09:00
Mark McCormack died quite some time ago, so I can't see his personal influence having much impact!

dimviii
16th February 2012, 14:38
Q & A with World Rally Championship Commission president Jarmo Mahonen - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97541)

Barreis
16th February 2012, 15:14
Jarmo Mahonen sucks.

bt52b
16th February 2012, 17:23
Mark McCormack died quite some time ago, so I can't see his personal influence having much impact!

Yes I know, but IMG are still one of the major sports rights promoters in the world.

AndyRAC
16th February 2012, 20:47
I'd be really surprised if IMG got involved with the WRC.......

Barreis
16th February 2012, 21:08
What drugs do they use?!
World Rally Championship - News - Record audience for wrc.com on Rally Sweden (http://www.wrc.com/news/record-audience-for-wrccom-on-rally-sweden/?fid=16120)

rallyfiend
16th February 2012, 21:23
Why do you doubt it?

There would only be a small proportion of fans who know what's been going on with the sport.

tintin
16th February 2012, 21:54
I'd be really surprised if IMG got involved with the WRC.......

WRC in the UK is shown on ESPN.
ESPN UK is operated by IMG...

Tenuous?

Frankly, EV has to be the favourite.

MJW
16th February 2012, 22:21
Yes I know, but IMG are still one of the major sports rights promoters in the world.
Kim Vatanen works for IMG, and he manages a high profile driver, as well as one or two lesser ranking drivers.

17th February 2012, 00:32
Kim Vatanen works for IMG, and he manages a high profile driver, as well as one or two lesser ranking drivers.
Ogier isn't it?

rallyfiend
17th February 2012, 08:22
WRC in the UK is shown on ESPN.

Frankly, EV has to be the favourite.

What makes you say that?

donlorean
17th February 2012, 08:38
Was it today when they suppose to tell some information about TV coverage? Any news yet?

dimviii
17th February 2012, 10:22
Ogier isn't it?

Just for reference Loeb haven t got any manager.

MJW
17th February 2012, 11:00
Ogier isn't it?

Yes, Ogier plus a few Finnish drivers.

rallyfiend
23rd February 2012, 11:58
The roundabout continues.

You have the rights, no, YOU have the rights. Hang on, you over there, how about you have the rights?

Brother Rally New Zealand confirms FIA contract - Rally New Zealand (http://www.rallynz.org.nz/news/brother-rally-new-zealand-confirms-fia-contract-1)

Sulland
24th February 2012, 21:09
Has Stage 1 TechnologY Ltd signed a contract to take over the Media deal ?

SubaruNorway
24th February 2012, 21:35
Has Stage 1 TechnologY Ltd signed a contract to take over the Media deal ?

Stage 1 does the timing and tracking, nothing to do with media.

Motorsportfun
25th February 2012, 12:09
ITV4 is on pole to take over the Promoter role ;)

tfp
25th February 2012, 15:14

Wow! Id never expect that, does that mean if itv get the rights we can see Wrc on freeview?

Motorsportfun
25th February 2012, 17:05
Wow! Id never expect that, does that mean if itv get the rights we can see Wrc on freeview?

I think so :D

EightGear
25th February 2012, 17:06
But how you know? Would be good.

rallyfiend
26th February 2012, 12:45

I find this very hard to believe.

Maybe to become the broadcaster in the UK, for sure, but i would see no logic behind ITV becoming the promoter of anything.

Sulland
26th February 2012, 12:57
Media in my head is much more than TV. For rally it might be that ss direct streaming, online results with splits, interviews on radio and stream and so on will be the way ahead. TV is a nice way to sum up a day, but internet services is for many a better and cheaper way of reaching many. We need both, but the online part is only mentioned in party speaches and worked on. That is to bad!

tfp
26th February 2012, 13:49
I think so :D

Yeeessss :D :up:

Media in my head is much more than TV. For rally it might be that ss direct streaming, online results with splits, interviews on radio and stream and so on will be the way ahead. TV is a nice way to sum up a day, but internet services is for many a better and cheaper way of reaching many. We need both, but the online part is only mentioned in party speaches and worked on. That is to bad!

I'm thinking live TV broadcasts for SSS showing the overall event, and perhaps online streaming of specific cars onboards from either a laptop or smart phone app....Highlights of the leg to be shown before the SSS goes underway(The final stage of the day of course, not the first ;) ) with proper (Ostberg style) onboard cameras WITH telemetry data and the odd side-by-side split screen comparision....Like this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXJ8rFdIA8
I need more of this :D

And then my alarm clock rings....

Motorsportfun
26th February 2012, 21:05
But how you know? Would be good.

My source is a TV-channel director I interviewed some days ago. :)

EightGear
26th February 2012, 21:55
My source is a TV-channel director I interviewed some days ago. :)

Thank you. :) You can call that reliable I think. ;)

Kielder
28th February 2012, 15:54
Eurosport could be in the game again in Rally of Portugal. They've been negociated. The rally will be presented today at 6 P.M.

Barreis
28th February 2012, 18:35
Go EUROSPORT.

rallyfiend
28th February 2012, 18:39
Eurosport could be in the game again in Rally of Portugal. They've been negociated. The rally will be presented today at 6 P.M.

I will eat my hat if that happens. After all, it's been announced that the FIA have taken back the rights, so there is nothing for the local Rally Portugal people to negotiate on with anyone!

MartijnS
28th February 2012, 18:56
Motors TV seems to have Mexico still planned in their tv guide...

Kielder
28th February 2012, 19:04
I will eat my hat if that happens. After all, it's been announced that the FIA have taken back the rights, so there is nothing for the local Rally Portugal people to negotiate on with anyone!

FIA says one thing and then the opposite. Carlos Barbosa, president of the ACP, has said that they've negociated with Eurosport in addition to what has been guaranteed by the FIA.

Kielder
28th February 2012, 20:30
During the presentation, it was announced that Europort is going to broadcast the Rally of Portugal. RTP is also going to show the rally, I suppose in the same conditions as last year.
Next Monday new promoter will be decided by the FIA.

wildboar
1st March 2012, 07:40
Is there anything known about the TV coverage from Mexico?

Of course, the event only starts a week from now, so for WRC standards there is stil plenty of time to find a solution....

Kielder
1st March 2012, 08:50
Is there anything known about the TV coverage from Mexico?

Of course, the event only starts a week from now, so for WRC standards there is stil plenty of time to find a solution....

There will no Power Stage live, but SS1 will be broadcasted live in this site: Escudería Telmex (http://escuderiatelmex.com/)
Motors TV, at least, has announced daily highlights.

AndyRAC
1st March 2012, 11:24
The whole point of the Power stage is for live TV coverage......

maybe by the end of the season it will be sorted out.... ;)

wildboar
8th March 2012, 18:56
The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) is pleased to announce that an agreement has been reached with the EUROPEAN BROADCASTING UNION (EBU) and its production house EPC for the distribution of the 2012 WRC Rally Guanajuato Mexico. Relying on a strong relationship with its members in rally’s territories and on an efficient international distribution network, the EBU has been retained for the next round of the FIA World Rally Championship and further discussions are planned to ensure consistent distribution and production for the remainder of the 2012 season.

In parallel, the FIA is currently assessing the numerous proposals received after the call for expression of interest it has launched to identify the best possible partner(s) to build a strong platform for the growth of the Championship from 2013 onwards.

2012 FIA World Rally Championship (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/2012-wrc-ebu.aspx)

GigiGalliNo1
10th March 2012, 02:14
Are Becs and Colin Clark bak on World Rally Radio?

Doon
10th March 2012, 09:52
I've been away for a couple of weeks and come back to find no WRC on ESPN? So they cover Sweden and that's it for now?

rallyfiend
10th March 2012, 11:25
I've been away for a couple of weeks and come back to find no WRC on ESPN? So they cover Sweden and that's it for now?

It's in my schedule. It was on this morning. Rest of the days to follow.

RS
13th March 2012, 22:49
Watching the Mexico stuff on MotorsTV last weekend, Colin Clark and Julian Porter are a definite improvement over Paul King. Generally good footage from a rally which is great to watch. One negative though - the helicopter footage was really really poor, I don't know why they bothered. Not even close to Eurosport. Oh, and still not enough showing cars outside the top 4. I think they only showed Ogier once the whole weekend when he spun, and not much of Neuville either even when he was in top 4.

Barreis
14th March 2012, 08:52
Guys are talking soooo much. You can not hear voice of codriver. :P

Franky
14th March 2012, 09:10
Guys are talking soooo much.

They are the co-drivers of the viewers :D

Barreis
14th March 2012, 14:01
Let they be but I Like watching onboards.

Motorsportfun
28th March 2012, 22:04
HABEMUS PROMOTER.

The WRC has a new Promoter, finally! News coming... ;)

rallyfiend
28th March 2012, 22:52
I'll believe it when I hear it.

Even under the FIA's self-published guidelines there's still a month to go before any contract will be signed.

What have you heard, or are you just speculating?

Motorsportfun
28th March 2012, 23:58
I'll believe it when I hear it.

Even under the FIA's self-published guidelines there's still a month to go before any contract will be signed.

What have you heard, or are you just speculating?

AFAIK from the Service Park, an agreement has been made. But it's not confirmed yet from FIA. They just told a simple "no comment for now". Something new is expected tomorrow. ;)

bt52b
29th March 2012, 01:53
HABEMUS PROMOTER.

Who are they?

rallyfiend
29th March 2012, 09:08
AFAIK from the Service Park, an agreement has been made. But it's not confirmed yet from FIA. They just told a simple "no comment for now". Something new is expected tomorrow. ;)

A new promoter, or just the start of EBU producing the TV coverage - I understand that starts in Portugal.

tolis
30th March 2012, 16:10
Today, in the press conference of the Acropolis Rally, they said that EBU signed as a promoter, in the middle of March. However, the agreement doesn't include the live coverage of Power Stages.

rallyfiend
30th March 2012, 16:13
Today, in the press conference of the Acropolis Rally, they said that EBU signed as a promoter, in the middle of March. However, the agreement doesn't include the live coverage of Power Stages.

Is this not confusing EBU as TV provider versus being promoter?

Kind of like how North ONe TV was the TV provider to North One SPort (Convers)

tommy2k8
30th March 2012, 21:03
WRC deserves highlights or some live coverage on ITV4 or ESPN in my view. It's silly that there's no Rally listings on ESPN's website for the foreseeable future.

Formaldehyde
2nd May 2012, 11:45
So, no comments about the Rally Argentina coverage? Am I missing something or was MotorsTV the only channel that broadcasted the event? And they didn't even bother to include commentary this time. Only video footage and interviews with drivers. Sure, some might argue about the quality of the commentators and whether or not it's better to have them. But I see this as a major disinterest in rallying by pretty much ALL media outlets. If it goes on like this... soon our only option will be unofficial youtube videos by enthusiast fan websites. They put out some cool videos and all, but it's no substitute for official "inside" coverage. If we lose TV coverage, it's only a matter of time until rallying becomes a 100% amateur sport with no factory teams...

Again: am I missing something or was MotorsTV the only channel to broadcast the event, with no commentary at all?

rallyfiend
2nd May 2012, 11:51
So, no comments about the Rally Argentina coverage? Am I missing something or was MotorsTV the only channel that broadcasted the event? And they didn't even bother to include commentary this time. Only video footage and interviews with drivers. Sure, some might argue about the quality of the commentators and whether or not it's better to have them. But I see this as a major disinterest in rallying by pretty much ALL media outlets. If it goes on like this... soon our only option will be unofficial youtube videos by enthusiast fan websites. They put out some cool videos and all, but it's no substitute for official "inside" coverage. If we lose TV coverage, it's only a matter of time until rallying becomes a 100% amateur sport with no factory teams...

Again: am I missing something or was MotorsTV the only channel to broadcast the event, with no commentary at all?

It was just the Day 1 programme that had no commentary. Here in he UK the other days all had commentary. Perhaps was a technical malfunction? I read on Colin Clark's twitter that they had done the commentary as he tweeted after they had finished!

Seems to be a growing list of broadcasters joining, although the UK seems very, very quiet with no broadcaster.....

World Rally Championship - Fanzone - WRC TV Guide (http://www.wrc.com/fanzone/wrc-tv-guide/)

Still no news on the Promoter front. Has been very quiet from the FIA on that subject.

GigiGalliNo1
2nd May 2012, 16:11
Only day 1 had natural sounds which was enjoyable! I did a bit of commentary in my head! Very confusing haha

Still only local broadcaster like Fox Sports in Argentina did their own coverage, then only world broadcast was on MotorsTV...

Barreis
2nd May 2012, 22:06
They should give all the rights to Eurosport and that's it. This's horror.

A FONDO
2nd May 2012, 22:12
They should give all the rights to Eurosport and that's it. This's horror.

Eurosport is the worst of the worst options.

Barreis
2nd May 2012, 22:15
Why's that? When I started to follow WRC coverages, it was Screensport (now Eurosport) and it was good for almost 2 decades. Now it' really bad.

rallyfiend
2nd May 2012, 22:30
Why's that? When I started to follow WRC coverages, it was Screensport (now Eurosport) and it was good for almost 2 decades. Now it' really bad.

You do realise that that Eurosport coverage was not actually created by Eurosport and was done by North One TV?

Barreis
2nd May 2012, 22:31
Sure but millions can watch it.

tfp
2nd May 2012, 23:17
You do realise that that Eurosport coverage was not actually created by Eurosport and was done by North One TV?

North One? But diddnt eurosport do the MC highlights?

rallyfiend
3rd May 2012, 07:09
North One? But diddnt eurosport do the MC highlights?

Only in 2012.

Sulland
3rd May 2012, 07:16
Eurosport is the worst of the worst options.

Why do you mean that?
i feel the Eurosport produced IRC shows are quite good!

kirungi okwogera
3rd May 2012, 09:58
It was just the Day 1 programme that had no commentary. Here in he UK the other days all had commentary. Perhaps was a technical malfunction? I read on Colin Clark's twitter that they had done the commentary as he tweeted after they had finished!

Seems to be a growing list of broadcasters joining, although the UK seems very, very quiet with no broadcaster.....

World Rally Championship - Fanzone - WRC TV Guide (http://www.wrc.com/fanzone/wrc-tv-guide/)

Still no news on the Promoter front. Has been very quiet from the FIA on that subject.

I work in TV and used to prepare the NZ showings of WRC programmes. It would never be intentional to air any sport programme without commentary, in fact the satellite feed to MotorsTV and anyone else who played it out should have been noticed within a few minutes of feeding, which would still be several hours before it played to customers. The receiving sat-ops people at MotorsTV/whatever local broadcaster for each country should have rejected it and the dispatchers would track down the producers of the show and get them to send it again with commentary. They are normally sent with two audio tracks, one full mix, and one without commentary but with music and effects - it's possible MotorsTV messed up by playing only the M&E track, but I think it's more likely they weren't given the full mix track. Colossal technical screwup for someone, never should have aired without commentary, and would DEFINITELY never have been made without commentary! I was pretty shocked to see that...

From my perspective there are only a few companies on the earth with the specialized experience necessary to cover rallies well (collecting onboard footage after each stage, organizing those many hours and syncing them to where the roadside cameramen are in each stage, setting up the higher-tech stuff like the simultaneous footage stuff that Eurosport does, or virtual spectator with telemetry and so on...). Any one of them would do a fine job, it's just a matter of getting the deal solid so we're not getting jerked around with crappy episodes missing sound, unscripted/unedited stumbling commentary like with Monte this year, or uncertain TV coverage in general, lack of live powerstages and all that. I really can't believe the FIA has been so blase as to wait so long without making a deal, even a temporary one just for 2012...

tintin
5th May 2012, 09:13
There is a deal though. It has been in place for three events now.

As for Motors, they broadcast in eight different languages, and have a single transmission controller for all the different services, so they certainly won't be monitoring all the language options all the time.

tfp
5th May 2012, 12:07
I work in TV and used to prepare the NZ showings of WRC programmes. It would never be intentional to air any sport programme without commentary, in fact the satellite feed to MotorsTV and anyone else who played it out should have been noticed within a few minutes of feeding, which would still be several hours before it played to customers. The receiving sat-ops people at MotorsTV/whatever local broadcaster for each country should have rejected it and the dispatchers would track down the producers of the show and get them to send it again with commentary. They are normally sent with two audio tracks, one full mix, and one without commentary but with music and effects - it's possible MotorsTV messed up by playing only the M&E track, but I think it's more likely they weren't given the full mix track. Colossal technical screwup for someone, never should have aired without commentary, and would DEFINITELY never have been made without commentary! I was pretty shocked to see that...

From my perspective there are only a few companies on the earth with the specialized experience necessary to cover rallies well (collecting onboard footage after each stage, organizing those many hours and syncing them to where the roadside cameramen are in each stage, setting up the higher-tech stuff like the simultaneous footage stuff that Eurosport does, or virtual spectator with telemetry and so on...). Any one of them would do a fine job, it's just a matter of getting the deal solid so we're not getting jerked around with crappy episodes missing sound, unscripted/unedited stumbling commentary like with Monte this year, or uncertain TV coverage in general, lack of live powerstages and all that. I really can't believe the FIA has been so blase as to wait so long without making a deal, even a temporary one just for 2012...

WRC 2012 Argentina - Day 1 - part 2/2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRWYY1puEQ)

I downloaded this to my phone the other day, I wondered why there was no commentary!

RS
5th May 2012, 13:42
i feel the Eurosport produced IRC shows are quite good!

For me, the Eurosport coverage of Monte was the best quality coverage we have had of a WRC event so far this season.

Plan9
5th May 2012, 23:42
I just hope that who ever picks up the WRC in future does not cover the scenes of the cars driving flat out with either music or commentary. The engines howling and co-drivers is enought info for me

RS
6th May 2012, 09:18
I just hope that who ever picks up the WRC in future does not cover the scenes of the cars driving flat out with either music or commentary. The engines howling and co-drivers is enought info for me

Good point. I noticed on Argentina coverage you could barely hear the cars at all.

Barreis
6th May 2012, 09:30
Biggest problem is that nobody wants this, not profitable. Also FIA wants large sum of money.

Red bull
6th May 2012, 10:19
Good point. I noticed on Argentina coverage you could barely hear the cars at all.
Total crap it's just like watching a replayed playstation WRC video game,bring back Eurosport or ESPN.

Plan9
6th May 2012, 11:18
I can't believe they think we want to hear music and commentary not maybe the actual men and machines. Argentina was the worst rally coverage. Ever. Period.

AndyRAC
6th May 2012, 12:20
Biggest problem is that nobody wants this, not profitable. Also FIA wants large sum of money.

Or, if they do want it, they don't want to pay big money. The simple fact is the sport isn't big enough to be charging huge sums. Accept this, and charge accordingly.

rallyfiend
6th May 2012, 12:42
Or, if they do want it, they don't want to pay big money. The simple fact is the sport isn't big enough to be charging huge sums. Accept this, and charge accordingly.

I guess is depends on what amounts you need to cover the cost of production. I can't imagine that rallying is a cheap form of sport to produce coverage of.

Barreis
6th May 2012, 13:33
Sure but then you have to give the rights to someone who can produce it and put it on tv like Eurosport. Didn't see that MotorsTV produce any kind of show, they just buy the rights and put it on their program.

RS
6th May 2012, 18:46
I can't believe they think we want to hear music and commentary not maybe the actual men and machines. Argentina was the worst rally coverage. Ever. Period.

Don't know about that... Mexico was pretty bad. The helicam footage looked more like someone had stuck his mobile phone out of the window of the chopper than anything approaching professional. I guess they are on a pretty constrained budget though.. what is the current situation, are the FIA actually paying someone to produce this?

whosyo
6th May 2012, 19:50
I miss the North One TV and Paul King
at least they didn't cover the whole car's sound and co-driver's voice with their silly voice

Plan9
6th May 2012, 23:35
Very frustrating. Surely WRC attracts better demographics to warrant something better. I have to say that the season highlights for sale on some DVD websites are just as terrible. All talk and no car porn. And about 7-13 mins on each rally. That is not enough. If the FIA can do WTCC surely they can do WRC better.

Barreis
7th May 2012, 06:42
Eurosport is doing WTCC.

Red bull
9th May 2012, 12:18
Eurosport (http://www.asacc.fr/Eurosport-s-LIVE-couverture-TV-Tour-de-Corse-2012_a337.html)

EightGear
11th May 2012, 15:31
Interesting story on Autosport.com's PLUS site.

How world rallying was almost saved - AUTOSPORT PLUS (http://plus.autosport.com/premium/feature/4435/how-world-rallying-was-almost-saved/)

I quote the last part:

"As outlined at the top of this column, Sky was also seriously considering buying NOS and the administrator was confident a deal was coming, until the news firm got cold feet.
At this point, the administrators were issuing non-disclosure agreements to numerous interested parties and this is the first time we can find out who might have ruled our world.

Volkswagen, anybody? Having committed to the next five years in the WRC, the German car firm pondered a step further and VW was reckoned to be ready to underwrite NOS to the tune of �10m. A formal proposal was never received. Global sports promoters IMG was provided with a full financial picture of what was required, but declined to follow it up. It was the same story for energy drinks giant Red Bull.

From my perspective, Red Bull owning and promoting the WRC would have been a perfect fit, given the extreme nature of our sport, the massive potential for new-media exposure and Red Bull's desire and ability not to sponsor but to buy and own the means of exposure.

Venture capitalist Genii � one-time owner of what is now known as Lotus F1 � made an informal offer of �1m for the lot. That offer was rejected.

Time was called, the doors closed and a gilt-edged opportunity was lost."

AndyRAC
11th May 2012, 17:38
Well, there must be a reason that they all declined to follow through with their interest.

fastboy
11th May 2012, 20:53
Sky Sports offered £8,000,000 to become the promoter and supply t.v coverage to the championship.I believe it wanted a 3 year contract but the FIA rejected it because Sky wanted more control than they was prepared to give away.Sky Sports have been impressed with viewing figures of the BRC championship showned on there network,and thought WRC rallying would complement there new coverage of F1 in u.k. I know pay tv is not popular with some people but Sky always do a fantastic job with there coverage and i believe would of been fantastic for the WRC.

rallyfiend
11th May 2012, 22:14
Well, there must be a reason that they all declined to follow through with their interest.

I'm sure the common factor with all the potential 'promoters' is the control of the calendar.

Why invest in a property over which you have so little control?

tintin
11th May 2012, 23:12
The FIA insisted that all existing contracts be honoured. That means in the UK Sky would have owned the championship but it would have been shown on ESPN and Motors - Two of their competitors.

But the biggest turn-off for any investors were the European TUPE laws which compelled anyone taking on the rights to also employ all of the ex-NOS staff on their previous salaries and terms and conditions.

Barreis
12th May 2012, 01:18
This's all horror at the moment.

rallyfiend
12th May 2012, 08:08
The FIA insisted that all existing contracts be honoured. That means in the UK Sky would have owned the championship but it would have been shown on ESPN and Motors - Two of their competitors.

Garbage. The FIA would have had nothing to do with that, and it was well known that the ESPN deal was only for one year. NOS was well reported to have a provisional deal in place with ITV4 for 2012 when it all went pear-shaped.

rallyfiend
12th May 2012, 08:12
But the biggest turn-off for any investors were the European TUPE laws which compelled anyone taking on the rights to also employ all of the ex-NOS staff on their previous salaries and terms and conditions.

If that is the case, then why is this not still an issue for the FIA who have taken on the role, or for EBU who have taken on the role of TV production under the FIA?

tintin
13th May 2012, 22:35
If that is the case, then why is this not still an issue for the FIA who have taken on the role, or for EBU who have taken on the role of TV production under the FIA?

The EBU is based in Switzerland, so not covered by EU law.
...although a lot of ex-NOS staff are working on the coverage anyway.

rallyfiend
14th May 2012, 12:11
The EBU is based in Switzerland, so not covered by EU law.
...although a lot of ex-NOS staff are working on the coverage anyway.

The TV production is one part, the promotion of the Championship is another.

Clearly FIA are managing the sponsorship and other elements done by NOS.

rallyfan2000
6th June 2012, 16:41
I am a former employee of North One Television and spent the last 2 years working on the WRC for the production arm for the company. I haven't read through all the posts on here so I can't say if what I will say will be news to any of you but I thought it best to put across the point of view of someone from the inside and give everyone a better understanding of exactly what happened near the end.

Firstly, around September time, we were told by the powers that be at North One that Roman Antanov had decided he could provide WRC coverage, worldwide, cheaper and more efficient using his own employees. This meant the whole TUPE ordeal started with his company CSI and all was planning to go ahead up until November when he was arrested/made insolvent and the deal was off, with the rights to the rally then to be decided by the FIA. Firstly they were encouraging new bids from anyone that could pick up the pieces and carry on the progress already made, there were 2 parties interested, the first pulled out 5 days before Christmas as the FIA had not responded to any communication from this party and got fed up of being messed around. The second was from a Middle Eastern party and just as everything looked to be in place, just after new year, the FIA decided that they wanted North One Sport/Television to have nothing to do with it anymore as they had become tired of being 'messed about' and with 'nothing stable in place'.

From the inside, I can tell you for a fact that had the FIA decided to go with one of these new bids for global broadcast and promotion, the WRC would be in a much better place than it is now. It was thrown on Eurosport late in the day and they didn't have the resources or funding to take on such a job and since then it has become a complete joke with Nokia backing out last week, it is moving backwards at a rapid pace. Firstly, nobody wants to sponsor an event/manufacturer that isn't being promoted/broadcast on a global scale so eventually more and more sponsors will drop out and because of this, none of the teams will have the funding to race in as many events each year, slowly dropping out. Mini is a prime example of this, Prodrive pretty much jumped straight off the sinking ship one it had been announced.

North One Sport were actually doing an incredible job maintaing the rally as it was, the FIA like to criticise their work as it wasn't making as much money as they would have liked and the WRC will always play second fiddle to F1. WRC doesn't recieve as much coverage not because North One Sport/FIA weren't pushing it in the right directions but simply because it isn't sexy enough like the F1. In my honest opinion, the FIA are entirely to blame for this and only now are they starting to realise what a huge mistake it was to end North One Sport's involvement with the WRC in the way that they did.

The 2 years I spent working on the WRC were the best years I've enjoyed as a professional and I know that nothing will rival it. I hope one day to get back into the same line of work and rejoin the incredible family that is the WRC.

If anyone has any questions that they think I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask and I will try to answer as best I can.

MartijnS
2nd July 2012, 15:03
FIA WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wrc/2012/Pages/wrc-ebu.aspx)

Franky
2nd July 2012, 15:37
Is this a sign that EBU will continue next year?

GigiGalliNo1
2nd July 2012, 16:29
EBU were already noted in the media releases as well as accreditation forms for last few WRC rounds as official supplier and broadcaster... This is just a confirming document/statement

Barreis
2nd July 2012, 18:15
50 million clicks?! :D
They think we are fools.

DonJippo
2nd July 2012, 18:55
If you follow splits and stage times on wrc.com how many clicks you do in one event....? Don't think that 50mil clicks is false.

Mirek
2nd July 2012, 20:41
Number of clicks has very little meaning. Number of different IPs would be better...

DonJippo
2nd July 2012, 21:19
Number of clicks has very little meaning. Number of different IPs would be better...

Which is why I believe they don't tell that...

GigiGalliNo1
4th July 2012, 17:17
Because the "older" people at the FIA don't know how to use the Internet let alone an iPhone eh

tfp
4th July 2012, 23:44
Because the "older" people at the FIA don't know how to use the Internet let alone an iPhone eh

:rotflmao:

rallyfan2000
12th July 2012, 16:08
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=272548889473628&set=a.154547257940459.33187.145062465555605&type=1

FIA ended NOS´s little games so I guess NOS is now turning the favour by trying to ruin the party for the rest of us. And also, "miraculously", they still have money for lawyers.

You literally have no idea, do you?

rallyfan2000
12th July 2012, 16:10
Diiiiiiiiiick.

rallyfan2000
12th July 2012, 16:11
Where's your TV coverage now, Jean? Where?

J.Lindstroem
2nd August 2012, 00:28
Is it just me, or does the Motors TV coverage of the Wrc suck really bad? How can they even call it Wrc Rally Finland preview when all there is basicly is a review of last years rally finland?

What da**** is happening with the wrc?

Plan9
5th August 2012, 01:47
I read the choice for promoter next year is either something from South Africa, Eurosport, something from the FIA or Red Bull. I hope it is either Eurosport or Red Bull as they would appear at first glance to be the most cashed up.

N.O.T
5th August 2012, 10:43
I read

where ?

rallyfiend
5th August 2012, 10:47
I read the choice for promoter next year is either something from South Africa, Eurosport, something from the FIA or Red Bull. I hope it is either Eurosport or Red Bull as they would appear at first glance to be the most cashed up.

This was widely reported in Autosport, Motorsport news, and GP week some weeks ago.

With Eurosport supposedly running merged ERC / IRC, as well as WTCC, I can see then counting against them to a huge extent.

Too many eggs, one basket etc...

AndyRAC
5th August 2012, 11:58
The sooner it's announced the better. Then teams, sponsors, drivers, etc can make plans for next year. The lack of Live coverage of the Power stages this year has been disappointing. Why aren't they on the WRC website?

If it was Eurosport, then they need to guarantee the times of coverage; it's no good coming on 10-15 minutes late because of over running snooker/tennis....

Barreis
5th August 2012, 12:08
Eurosport would be great choice, best times of WRC during past 20 years were on Eurosport. Winning combination.

cali
6th August 2012, 07:53
If it was Eurosport, then they need to guarantee the times of coverage; it's no good coming on 10-15 minutes late because of over running snooker/tennis....
There's other form of sports besides rallying (!) and ES has contracts to fulfill. Problably rallying is not their first priority because of TV ratings.

AndyRAC
6th August 2012, 09:01
There's other form of sports besides rallying (!) and ES has contracts to fulfill. Problably rallying is not their first priority because of TV ratings.

Yes, of course. But that's no good for the WRC stakeholders. They need a guaranteed time slot. Maybe there should be a Eurosport Motorsports channel.

stefanvv
6th August 2012, 10:00
The sooner it's announced the better. Then teams, sponsors, drivers, etc can make plans for next year. The lack of Live coverage of the Power stages this year has been disappointing. Why aren't they on the WRC website?

They can do 24+ hours Le Mans live, why not Rallies also. If not on the main channel, it could be on Eurosport2 in some cases.

Franky
6th August 2012, 13:47
But Le Mans 24h happens only once a year, so not very good comparison material.

cali
6th August 2012, 14:08
And in LeMans they have cameras in the same place during the whole event. So it's not really a valid arguement.

stefanvv
6th August 2012, 14:16
My argument with Le Mans was for the reason they can guarantee times of coverage despite other programs like live Tennis or Soccer.

cali
6th August 2012, 16:49
Yes they can, most problably because there's no tennis during that time of a year. The other thing is that tennis, snooker or LeMans are shown live while WRC coverage is not. See the difference? Live stuff comes always first.

stefanvv
6th August 2012, 17:10
Yes they can, most problably because there's no tennis during that time of a year. The other thing is that tennis, snooker or LeMans are shown live while WRC coverage is not. See the difference? Live stuff comes always first.

Yes, sure. But I believe the comment before was for "live coverages" of some SSS, PS ;)

RAS007
7th August 2012, 23:52
I just watched the Finland coverage on YouTube and Paul King is back! Why, just tell me why? What have we done to deserve this? Just when I thought the WRC could not get any worse, or any more boring, once more the WRC proves me wrong. PK can ruin a rally all on his own! Please do not let this be a sign of things to come. Please?

rallyfiend
8th August 2012, 00:54
I just watched the Finland coverage on YouTube and Paul King is back! Why, just tell me why? What have we done to deserve this? Just when I thought the WRC could not get any worse, or any more boring, once more the WRC proves me wrong. PK can ruin a rally all on his own! Please do not let this be a sign of things to come. Please?

Not sure what country you live in, but he never left. As was the case with Eurosport for Monte Carlo. most of the same crew are creating the current feed.

Sulland
8th August 2012, 16:04
What can Red Bull Media House add to the current show?

Franky
8th August 2012, 16:21
What can Red Bull Media House add to the current show?

Have to wait and see. But the main things that should be fixed are the live broadcast of the power stage and a live stream on wrc.com.

AndyRAC
8th August 2012, 16:36
Have to wait and see. But the main things that should be fixed are the live broadcast of the power stage and a live stream on wrc.com.

And RedBull TV...

GigiGalliNo1
9th August 2012, 07:19
Where can I read this RedBull TV news?

stefanvv
9th August 2012, 07:52
Where can I read this RedBull TV news?

Short story here - Red Bull set to be announced as new promoter of the World Rally Championship - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101750)

andyone
9th August 2012, 19:29
Sure but millions can watch it.
yap i cant watch it. and i wiish to really wish i could just watch it even once.

GigiGalliNo1
12th August 2012, 13:19
The WRC coverage of Finland, all 3 days review was broadcast on ESPN and with Paul Kane... like last year... with Colin and Julian on Motors/Paul King on ESPN.

GigiGalliNo1
12th August 2012, 16:28
South African media company that was rumored.... "Kagiso Media/Mobile Alliance" to do/promote WRC... Who are they?

EightGear
12th August 2012, 17:19
If I'm not mistaken they are also involved in Rally South Africa which is a WRC candidate event this year.

Barreis
13th August 2012, 17:42
Hope for better WRC future.

GigiGalliNo1
14th August 2012, 09:12
Sorry my last post on broadcast on tv recently, Rally Finland on S P E E D tv station. Paul King commentating but Hirvonen sort of Hosting the ep. Like a RallyXS/Magazine show... With out of rally interviews and bit of go cart racing with drivers!

RS
31st August 2012, 22:04
Did Red Bull actually get confirmed yet?

This weekend Barum Rally Zlin is live for 4 proper stages, on Eurosport and free-to-air Czech TV too. New WRC promoter has some catching up to do.

AndyRAC
31st August 2012, 22:25
Yes, 4 years since Eurosport trialled live coverage with Rallye du Valais.....

WRC can't get the Live Power stage in the WRC website live. I haven't seen one live this year. I don't expect that to change on RallyGB - I can't see it being live on a National UK station, regional doesn't count.

Prisoner Monkeys
1st September 2012, 01:26
Did Red Bull actually get confirmed yet?
No, not yet - an annoucement was expected in Germany, but I can't find anything that said an annoucement would be made, so I'm pretty sure that was just speculation.

olschl
2nd September 2012, 03:33
Short story here - Red Bull set to be announced as new promoter of the World Rally Championship - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101750)

Wow, what great news. If there is a company that has cache with young viewers and understands the importance of mobile access it's Red Bull. Probably too early for a strategy moving forward? I'm sure you guys will keep us up to date.

Lundgaard
2nd September 2012, 11:35
If Red Bull can get the quality and the position of the onboard camera right, then we are coming a long way.

Check this out:

Ruben Zeltner WP7 Rallye Deutschland 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctha_n5f2js&feature=plcp)

Imagine a full stage with Loeb in this quality and with camera in this position. Gold.

janvanvurpa
2nd September 2012, 17:32
If Red Bull can get the quality and the position of the onboard camera right, then we are coming a long way.

Check this out:

Ruben Zeltner WP7 Rallye Deutschland 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctha_n5f2js&feature=plcp)

Imagine a full stage with Loeb in this quality and with camera in this position. Gold.

I guess some are easily amused.
We have discussed this before, and there seems to be a generational split. I want to see what the driver makes the CAR do relative to the road.
too much In car is so boring I want to take a Volvo crankshaft and drop it on my toes to cause brain damage.

Lundgaard
2nd September 2012, 18:56
I guess some are easily amused.
We have discussed this before, and there seems to be a generational split. I want to see what the driver makes the CAR do relative to the road.
too much In car is so boring I want to take a Volvo crankshaft and drop it on my toes to cause brain damage.

So you find this boring?! I find the normal onboards in low res and with the camera in a stupid position really boring. But this is really great.
Here we ARE seeing what the driver makes the car do relative to the road. Unless you are 95 with bad eyesight, I don't think it has something to do with generations...

MrJan
2nd September 2012, 19:11
I find in-car boring. I like seeing it occasionally but would far rather see external shots that recreate what I see if I go to watch a rally live.

A FONDO
2nd September 2012, 19:39
Onboard with proper camera position and decent light control is the most valuable kind of video for me.
Second most valuable is camera mounted at one place showing in sequence how each driver passes it.

Franky
2nd September 2012, 20:11
Onboard with proper camera position and decent light control is the most valuable kind of video for me.
Second most valuable is camera mounted at one place showing in sequence how each driver passes it.

But that doesn't attract new people.

A FONDO
2nd September 2012, 20:35
WRC first has to somehow keep the current ones, then think for new. ;)

Lundgaard
2nd September 2012, 21:06
But that doesn't attract new people.

And how do you know that?
Since North One Sport took over and placed cameras in all the wrong places inside and outside of the car, the ratings has not exactly gone up...

janvanvurpa
2nd September 2012, 21:09
So you find this boring?! I find the normal onboards in low res and with the camera in a stupid position really boring. But this is really great.
Here we ARE seeing what the driver makes the car do relative to the road. Unless you are 95 with bad eyesight, I don't think it has something to do with generations...

Well I don't want to damage a Volvo crank by giving myself brain-damage for no good reason....and putting myself out of misery (nåd skottet till nacken is maybe a little too much..) (oh dear, furrin words!! I was warned! uh.... gotta think quick!!! What the hell is it called nåd skot in Engleski? Ah! Coupe de grace! Yeah that's sdure as hell good Anglisch) seems like a justifiable use for en Rödblock vev)

All I see is a ribbon of road outside. And the driver twitching the wheel a little now and then.
The problem:
I know what roads look like from inside cars, I have driven 100s of thousands of km all over Western Europe, the whole way from Narvik till Oslo, Stockholm to the Spanish border many times, 1000s of miles in the SE and SW of France on little "Departemental" roads like used on stages, millions of miles in USA, thousands of km in Canada on skinny stage like roads...

And then I started doing rallies. so i know what Stages look like from inside the car. 90% Gravel, the rest snow, excpt maybe 30km asphalt in 15 years...

And more elesewhere..
I know what roads and stages look like..

I want to see the car in a unique setting (Finland, Varmland, Koriska, OZ, NZ, Haute Alpes, ) and what the car's reactions to the driver input is. How much the car squats, how close the car is to locking the wheels relative to the surface, air underneath the car (rather than a little jiggle of the helmet) over jumps, angle of the CAR.
.gravel and dirt flying.

If I wanted to see just a ribbon of road squiggling on a screen I'd buy a Colin Burns Video plaything..
But I'm not of the generation that grew up playing with some screen, I grew up racing, then when I was older and beat up--like 32 or so---I began actually driving stages since its so easy and relaxing..

All we see is a little twitchiness and that's it. And since they all got on the idiotic fad of covering half the windscreen with black, we see even less.