PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the new lola

jwhite9185
15th February 2010, 19:22
Not seen this mentioned on here...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs160.snc3/18778_308873790847_52534855847_4005361_7822945_n.j pg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs160.snc3/18778_308873795847_52534855847_4005362_2521497_n.j pg

Must admit, im liking that!

Chamoo
15th February 2010, 19:37
It looks like something out of a video game. I don't like all the aero bits on the car.

I do however like the message behind the car, where team would use the same tub for FIL and IICS.

Still prefer the Delta Wing concept.

ChicagocrewIRL
15th February 2010, 19:37
THAT is what an IndyCar should look like. AMAZING. I hope Swift, Lola, and Dallara all build competing chassis. How cool would that be ???

Delta Wing : GO HOME !!!

Blancvino
15th February 2010, 20:00
Ban ALL Shark Fins and wing-lets.

I assume the top illustration depicts the speedway trim and lower one is the road race trim.

Chamoo
15th February 2010, 20:08

I assume the top illustration depicts the speedway trim and lower one is the road race trim.

Nope, they are two different variations that Lola would make available to all teams. This way we would have artificial multiple chassis'...

I agree, the lesser aero bits the better.

SUBARUTEAM
15th February 2010, 20:57
nice. i like the fact that indy lights teams would be able to buy a kit and convert their cars for the indy 500 or for the whole series - good thinking. the indy light cars are rubbish and seam to have been forgotten about in this whole debate.

I like the swift/lola cars following by daylight then the dallera (which will get the nod - mark my words). not sure where the bat mobile sits in this thing - i like what they are trying to acheive but i'm just not sure.

AussieV8
15th February 2010, 23:49
I reckon that looks like an indycar and far better than the current dallara... I hope they go for something like this rather than that crazy deltawing car too.

wedge
16th February 2010, 00:18
THat was from Lola?!

Surely they gave the design brief to Coventry Uni graduates?

FormerFF
16th February 2010, 02:42
I have the same question for all the designers involved: What are you doing to optimize the aero package so that the cars can run close and pass?

MDS
16th February 2010, 03:14
Here's the text from their announcement. So far I have to say Lola is my favorite design. It seems to solve several problems by having two different body styles, and having commonality with Lights cars will decrease costs across the board because of economy of scale, as well as making it easier for FIL teams to step up for Indy, or any other race that's important to them.

Lola Indycar - Visual Variations
At the heart of Lola’s proposal is the dual body style concept developed extensively by Lola engineers. This work has already received very positive comments from the IndyCar fan fraternity. This concept will give exciting visual variety to the IZOD IndyCar grid and stimulate teams, drivers and fans alike.
The two styles highlighted in the image (right) will be performance matched but use the same common chassis. Parity in aero performance will be maintained across the ride height range to ensure that no advantage is gained by either kit. Both styles of cars can be raced without technical advantage and with different engines. Common parts throughout will enable teams to switch upper surface styles should they choose to do so.
Work continues within Lola on futuristic designs to continue to challenge thinking and for sure to become more acceptable in better economic times.
IndyCar/Indy Lights Commonality
The Lola chassis for IndyCar will achieve cohesion by being eligible for the Firestone Indy Lights Championship. This will in essence mean that Indy Lights teams will be able to graduate more cost effectively to the IZOD Indycar Series and teams will find it more commercially attractive to enter cars in each series and to entice new entries in to competition.
In addition, the ease of changing the car specifications from one series to the other will ensure high quality and full entries for the Indy 500.

Read the rest: http://www.lolacars.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=189

nigelred5
16th February 2010, 03:46
I have the same question for all the designers involved: What are you doing to optimize the aero package so that the cars can run close and pass?

"Aero evaluation and increased drafting

Central to Lola’s extensive aerodynamic research has been the necessity to guarantee close and exciting racing. Wheel to wheel duels on the variety of circuits that the IZOD IndyCar Series races on will become the norm rather than the exception.

Focusing on the rear under-body of the Lola IndyCar, designers have found a cost effective and simple breakthrough to ensure that there is a minimum wake for following car. This means that drafting and slipstreaming will be in the drivers own hands rather than that of the aerodynamics itself."

It comes as no suprise to me that this is my favorite design so far. Gimme half a dozen lolas, several of the more traditional looking swifts and throw in a couple of the dallara's and we might have something. The IRL needs to follow it's own damn formula from 1996. Multiple chassis suppliers, multiple engine suppliers, controlled guaranteed costs for the chassis, and stock block based engine designs that could be purchased and assembled by engine shops. Adopt a multiple engine formula like grand am. Hell, there are even totally different engines from the same manufacturers in Grand Am. Sure it would be a little more involved with a stressed engine but it can be done. I had no problem with that formula back then, just the management.........

DanicaFan
16th February 2010, 05:23
Dallara is still my favorite but this isnt bad either. Anything but that hideous delta wing.

Chamoo
16th February 2010, 06:44
Anything but that hideous delta wing.

Your just scared Danica is going to get rammed by the Delta Wing over and over again.

electron
16th February 2010, 08:23
actually these look like realistic race cars... like it or not, but just realistic.

no toy gadget.

F1boat
16th February 2010, 08:28
The car is nice, definitely better than the ugly delta abomination, but I prefer the Swift.

Civic
16th February 2010, 09:10
Looks similar to the Panoz, with the lower vortex generators of the sidepod looking like evolutions of the previous Lola Champ Car.

Andrewmcm
16th February 2010, 11:35
I'll take the Lola please.

I am evil Homer
16th February 2010, 12:10
Best design to date with the added bonus of the upgrade package for Lights teams who might want to step up into the bigger league.

However those fiddly aero bits on the front wing and the front of the sidepod are hideous and unnecessary.

shazbot
16th February 2010, 12:50
What a shame that Elan/Panoz was run into the ground by its former CEO, otherwise we would have a genuine contender for the contract right here in the US (or another contender I should say other than Swift). There's nothing new in these concept sketches that wasn't looked at for the DP01 Champ Car a few years ago.

wedge
16th February 2010, 14:17
It's growing on me. Those venturi tunnels look/will be HUGE!

SarahFan
16th February 2010, 15:30
Your just scared Danica is going to get rammed by the Delta Wing over and over again.

what happens when she qualifys 5 th at indy and is surrounded by 8 of them....

brings a whole new meaning to PTs nickname for her

I dont think I would let my 14 year old twin boys watch that

*altough that might be a viral video that takes off

champcarray
16th February 2010, 16:55
A nice design, but to my eye the aero bits look like they could be problematic in close racing and tear up other cars/tires too easily.

Chamoo
16th February 2010, 17:57
The Lola reminds me of the cars in Ultimate Raceway (http://www.candystand.com/play/ultimate-raceway) at Candystand.com.

I feel this car is too arcady.

Andrewmcm
16th February 2010, 18:51
It's growing on me. Those venturi tunnels look/will be HUGE!

Exactly. Venturis are much less sensitive to oncoming wakes as the acceleration of the air into the venturi helps reogranise the flow. Those aero bits on the car near the rear wheel merely look as though they're there to stop wheel-to-wheel contact.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 18:53
I like the New Lola. That said, I would love to see all the contenders on the track, and see them all in the wind tunnel to see the turbulence behind them. Which cars are more aero sensitive? Which ones will give aero push a role in what happens? WE fans can speculate on looking at nice computer drawings all we want, and argue about the merits of till we are either in agreement or not, but it matters little without a real race car undergoing testing. I want to see a concrete piece of race car in testing, and I hope they will will pick the next car for the IRL (preferably take 3) based on something better than artist's conceptions.

garyshell
16th February 2010, 20:20
Hoop where are you???? We need some technical input on these.

Gary

garyshell
16th February 2010, 20:23

what happens when she qualifys 5 th at indy and is surrounded by 8 of them....

brings a whole new meaning to PTs nickname for her

I dont think I would let my 14 year old twin boys watch that

*altough that might be a viral video that takes off

Enough already, are the two of you still in junior high school or what? We get it, it looks like a penis. Get over it already. Your comments are like a scene from Bevis and Butthead. "Huh, uh, huh! He said penis." Grow the hell up.

Gary

SarahFan
16th February 2010, 20:39
Lighten up Gary..... It's just the Internet

ChicagocrewIRL
16th February 2010, 21:11
SO why exactly does IndyCar only have to pick ONE of these four designs ? If the cars are similarly matched out of the factory, why can't all four compete on the same track ? It would make any constructor's trophy actually mean something.

Chamoo
16th February 2010, 21:21
Enough already, are the two of you still in junior high school or what? We get it, it looks like a penis. Get over it already. Your comments are like a scene from Bevis and Butthead. "Huh, uh, huh! He said penis." Grow the hell up.

Gary

Yea, Gary, my comment was more a shot at DF then the Delta Wing. The Delta Wing is my preferred car of all the 4 options.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 21:24
Yea, Gary, my comment was more a shot at DF then the Delta Wing. The Delta Wing is my preferred car of all the 4 options.

If the Delta wing is your pick, you just might be the only one on this board. Good on you for looking beyond the weird look and looking to the claims but I am not commiting to any one design until I see them in the reality of a race track or at the very least, a windtunnel.

Chamoo
17th February 2010, 01:01
If the Delta wing is your pick, you just might be the only one on this board. Good on you for looking beyond the weird look and looking to the claims but I am not commiting to any one design until I see them in the reality of a race track or at the very least, a windtunnel.

I agree with you Mark, right now, these are only drawings, or at best, a motionless model. At this point in the game, the Delta Wing has won me over, but it may change in the future once wind tunnel testing is done, and variations and modifications are made to the cars.

I think for the Delta Wing LLC group, they have a vested interest in this project which is more then Lola, Dallara, or Swift. I think the thought they have put into it is more then Lola, Swift, and Dallara, in that order.

nigelred5
17th February 2010, 01:38

I agree, but the shark fins do provide valuable high visibility real estate for sponsors. Formula One is absolutely rediculous this year. The Newey designed Red Bull cars take an otherwise beautiful car and make it look like a gaudy sailfish mount on the wall of a cheap seafood resturant.

px400r
19th February 2010, 17:52
I like the New Lola. That said, I would love to see all the contenders on the track, and see them all in the wind tunnel to see the turbulence behind them. Which cars are more aero sensitive? Which ones will give aero push a role in what happens? WE fans can speculate on looking at nice computer drawings all we want, and argue about the merits of till we are either in agreement or not, but it matters little without a real race car undergoing testing. I want to see a concrete piece of race car in testing, and I hope they will will pick the next car for the IRL (preferably take 3) based on something better than artist's conceptions.

Based on the initial renderings (i.e., looks), I prefer the least radical Swift. The one that looks a lot like the Formula Nippon chassis.

But I do love Lola's concept to provide two different looks and commonality with the Indy Lights.