PDA

View Full Version : F1 2010 Side profiles

AJP
14th February 2010, 06:58
Hey everyone,

Thought I would put this together..

They are not to scale, so can't judge car lengths and heights.

Good for a design comparison.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/ajesser/th_f1-2010_web.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/ajesser/?action=view&current=f1-2010_web.jpg)

Hawkmoon
14th February 2010, 07:16
Well done. :up:

The first thing that jumped out at me was the lack of sponsorship on the Renault and Sauber. It really stands out when you put the cars together like that.

The other thing was the position of the front wing. It could be the angle of the photos but the Renault, McLaren, Red Bull and Torro Rosso have their front wing inline with the nose where the other teams have the nose forward of the front wing, particularly the Sauber.

Oh, and one other thing. I hate the engine covers that connect with the rear wing. Makes for an ugly race car.

turismo6
14th February 2010, 09:03
So 6 cars take on the airbox wing, 6 don't (lotus + USF1) It will be interesting to see if any teams add them on.

Cozzie
14th February 2010, 09:07
What an amazing looking grid! The Virgin and the Mercedes really look classy.

Saint Devote
14th February 2010, 16:28
Well done - great perspective.

Better get used to the fin because it is here to stay unless there is a significant change in the aero regs - and is scheduled to become part of endurance racing in 2011.

According to the designers it is there to negate lift, and ensure stability. The whole Mclaren approach is to ensure a quicker line through corners, especially slow ones [which MUST make Jenson happy because that is where he is so good at gaining time, similar to Alain Prost].

It reduces the "yaw" of the car and keeps it grounded. Ground effects from the top down - I suspect that if the cars are vry quick through the corners, the FIA could well ban it for 2011.

Mclaren have the best look I think and have the most beautiful car - and that is not because I support Jenson.

nigelred5
14th February 2010, 17:47
Well done. :up:

Oh, and one other thing. I hate the engine covers that connect with the rear wing. Makes for an ugly race car.

I totally agree. Makes for some huge advertising space though. Redbull should swap the bull logo and the script locations. the bull would fit better on the side pod and vice versa.

Sonic
14th February 2010, 18:02
The pictures may not be in perspective but i'd guess they were all taken with the same level of zoom. On that basis the McLaren is the longest - it barely fits in the shot!

From what I've heard the Williams is the shortest, which would suggest a tall, thin fuel cell which could case C o G problems with heavy fuel loads but could pay dividends on low fuel quali runs or towards the end of the GP. Fascinating. :)

Sleeper
15th February 2010, 01:54
Well done - great perspective.

Better get used to the fin because it is here to stay unless there is a significant change in the aero regs - and is scheduled to become part of endurance racing in 2011.

According to the designers it is there to negate lift, and ensure stability. The whole Mclaren approach is to ensure a quicker line through corners, especially slow ones [which MUST make Jenson happy because that is where he is so good at gaining time, similar to Alain Prost].

It reduces the "yaw" of the car and keeps it grounded. Ground effects from the top down - I suspect that if the cars are vry quick through the corners, the FIA could well ban it for 2011.

Mclaren have the best look I think and have the most beautiful car - and that is not because I support Jenson.
Interesting, I was under the impression that the fins main job was to help clean the airflow to the rear wing during yaw so that it produces more downforce mid corner (though obviously by braking up airflow gowing laterally across the car it reduces lift as well).

Saint Devote
15th February 2010, 02:10
Interesting, I was under the impression that the fins main job was to help clean the airflow to the rear wing during yaw so that it produces more downforce mid corner (though obviously by braking up airflow gowing laterally across the car it reduces lift as well).

Well, the endurance cars are scheduled to use it because their intention is to prevent cars becoming airborne.

I am not the person to discuss aerodynamics with :eek:

F1boat
15th February 2010, 06:32
Great pic.

AJP
16th February 2010, 00:08
I'll add the other teams once they hit the track...or I find some good side profiles facing the same way :)

woody2goody
16th February 2010, 01:22
Are Williams going to bother with their flywheel KERS then or not?

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't but I'm not 100%.