PDA

View Full Version : I don't care what anybody says, the Trucks still put on a great show!

Jag_Warrior
14th February 2010, 02:48
What a finish! 10 trucks within half a second at the finish! Congrats to Timothy Peters! And I used to beat on him a lot when he was in F1, but a very good job by Nelson Piquet, Jr. Considering his lack of seat time in stock cars/trucks, I was a LOT more impressed by his performance than that other (over hyped) open wheel driver this weekend. He certainly wasn't afraid to bump draft. Course, running into things has never scared him. :p

I still call it the Craftsman Truck Series, but I've enjoyed the trucks since Day 1, and they're still great! :up:

NickFalzone
14th February 2010, 03:09
I missed it unfortunately but will catch up on whatever clips/replays are out there. Good to hear about Peters, I was happy to see his small team win a race last season, and this has to be a huge win for them.

Scotty G.
14th February 2010, 03:17
The trucks always put on a hell of a race at Daytona. Usually wild and there are always some questionable moves. But for the AA level of NASCAR, that is to be expected.

Peters made a great move in turn 3 to get the win. Onion blew it, by jumping out of line to block White.

Good drives by Piquet, Papis and Yeley. 3 open-wheelers, who done good this weekend.

Enjoyable race to watch.

Sparky1329
14th February 2010, 06:46
What a finish! 10 trucks within half a second at the finish! Congrats to Timothy Peters! And I used to beat on him a lot when he was in F1, but a very good job by Nelson Piquet, Jr. Considering his lack of seat time in stock cars/trucks, I was a LOT more impressed by his performance than that other (over hyped) open wheel driver this weekend. He certainly wasn't afraid to bump draft. Course, running into things has never scared him. :p

I still call it the Craftsman Truck Series, but I've enjoyed the trucks since Day 1, and they're still great! :up:

I've been a fan of the truck series since the beginning and you are spot on!

muggle not
14th February 2010, 12:42
I didn't watch the race, how did Kyle do?

harvick#1
14th February 2010, 14:01
everyone bascically crashed but the biggest surprise was Piquet finishing 6th in his debut

harvick#1
14th February 2010, 14:07
I thought the race was horrible, too many amateurs making dumb moves,

Peters did though make a great move for the win

beachbum
14th February 2010, 14:19
I didn't watch the race, how did Kyle do?
Caught up in a crash (not his doing), fixed the truck, went back out and irritated a lot of drivers by mixing it up with the leaders while 17 laps down. I like Kyle, but when you are that far back, let the leaders race among themselves. They proved perfectly capable of wrecking without any other help.

Jag_Warrior
14th February 2010, 18:19
I don't remember the trucks dancing around that much in previous years. Has anything been changed about the aero package or the shock rules? That was great to see (for the fans, if not the drivers). Racing vehicles should NOT be easy to drive, IMO.

My "first car" was a truck given to me by my dad when I was in high school (which I still have). I put my heart, soul and every cent I could lay my hands on into that vehicle. So yeah, I've got an emotional attachment to pickup trucks. It's my favorite NASCAR series. I just can't get used to the name "Camping World" though. :p

NickFalzone
14th February 2010, 19:26
Caught up in a crash (not his doing), fixed the truck, went back out and irritated a lot of drivers by mixing it up with the leaders while 17 laps down. I like Kyle, but when you are that far back, let the leaders race among themselves. They proved perfectly capable of wrecking without any other help.

Well with Kyle it's either this, or disappearing into his trailer for the rest of the night. One driver that can't deal with peddling when he has no chance to win.

Mark in Oshawa
15th February 2010, 05:52
THAT was one fun race, and I agree, Nelson Piquet Jr. did a lot better with little hype than someone else we all know....lol

slorydn1
15th February 2010, 06:07
I was a little disappointed with all the wrecks taking out the top trucks.

Im still wndering why all the bump drafting wrecks in the straighaways, I would have thought after the first couple people would have figured it out

The finish was cool :up:

slorydn1
16th February 2010, 21:16
Oh, and :up: to Nascar for doing away with that silly two cycle pit stop rule and going back to traditional pit stops. :D

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 21:19
I was a little disappointed with all the wrecks taking out the top trucks.

Im still wondering why all the bump drafting wrecks in the straighaways, I would have thought after the first couple people would have figured it out

The finish was cool :up:

You can figure it out....when the visor goes down, the brain shuts off...that is true for all race drivers, no matter where you find them!

Sparky1329
16th February 2010, 21:44
Trucks don't respond to the bump draft like the cars do. It tends to turn them either left or right. It probably has something to do with the configuration of the tail to front bumper profile.

MD24
16th February 2010, 23:07
One of my favorite racing series, I just wish they'd remove Waltrip from the booth, he's ruining it for me.

harvick#1
yes, unlike the NWS and Cup cars. The trucks front and rear bumpers do not line up correctly, hence I assume that when a bump draft occurs, the trucks rear tires get off the track and if the driver has his steering wheel turned just a slight bit, they are going to lose it

Mark in Oshawa
One of my favorite racing series, I just wish they'd remove Waltrip from the booth, he's ruining it for me.

MIkey? Oh he aint all bad...he can say some pretty funny stuff at times.....

71Fan
17th February 2010, 03:10
Was definately the best Demolition Derby of the weekend

Sparky1329
17th February 2010, 05:32

Amen, MD. He puts the "ob" in obnoxious. Rick and Phil do such a nice job on their own. MW has a need to dominate every discussion and is nothing more than an unneccessary fifth wheel.

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 16:56
Amen, MD. He puts the "ob" in obnoxious. Rick and Phil do such a nice job on their own. MW has a need to dominate every discussion and is nothing more than an unneccessary fifth wheel.

It does make you think tho. I don't mind Mikey, but I must say, what is it with racing that demands we have 3 people in the booth? Hockey gets by with a play by play and a colour guy. Football? Ditto for the most part. Baseball? Same. Basketball? Yup...2 people in the booth. So why in EVERY NASCAR race do we have 3? plus the host with another colour guy or 2 (ESPN seems to like paying big salaries). It is hard for Mikey to be really entertaining when he is trying to add something to the broadcast that Phil has already brought up.

If Mikey had not been such a huckster all these years, I suspect people wouldn't hate his presence there. That said, Phil is probably the most underrated colour guy on TV for NASCAR.

Alexamateo
17th February 2010, 19:49
If Mikey had not been such a huckster all these years..........

If Mikey had not been a huckster all these years, he wouldn't own his own team and his role in racing would probably be reduced to being a spotter for Joe Nemechek. :p :

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 20:53
If Mikey had not been a huckster all these years, he wouldn't own his own team and his role in racing would probably be reduced to being a spotter for Joe Nemechek. :p :

True...but he has alienated some people. Personally? I like Mike.....

slorydn1
18th February 2010, 02:11
The reason why it's "all Mikey, all the time" is because even though he grates on most of us here, people all over the place love him. He's kionda grown on me over the years, too, but sometimes I am left dumbfounded when opens his mouth :D

Sparky1329
18th February 2010, 05:25

If Mikey's last name had been something other than Waltrip he would've never enjoyed a 20+ year career let alone owned a team. What other driver do you know who still had a job after failing to win a race in over 400 tries?

71Fan
19th February 2010, 09:33
Well, since ya don't care what anybody says.........

Jag_Warrior
28th February 2010, 22:11
If Mikey's last name had been something other than Waltrip he would've never enjoyed a 20+ year career let alone owned a team. What other driver do you know who still had a job after failing to win a race in over 400 tries?

Mikey kinda reminds me of Eddie Murphy's brother, Charlie. They're both goofy as all get-out, and sometimes even funny (whether they mean to be or not). But if not for their more accomplished siblings, no one would have ever heard of either of them.

71Fan
1st March 2010, 03:40
Seriously.....

the Trucks are easily the best series in NASCAR, with the local short track series stuff hot on it's heels.

The first reason is simple.... they are not aero-perfect. Side-bite is mechanical rather than aero.

And the second reason is this..... From it's inception, the Trucks have been billed as a racing series with fenders and bumpers. In the stock car world, Rubbin Is Racin, and the Trucks are encouraged to do so.

Sparky1329
1st March 2010, 05:54
Mikey kinda reminds me of Eddie Murphy's brother, Charlie. They're both goofy as all get-out, and sometimes even funny (whether they mean to be or not). But if not for their more accomplished siblings, no one would have ever heard of either of them.

Mikey is a parasite. DW, as much as I can't stand hime, at least has a signifcant resume. Mikey has his name and his worn out schtick. Eddie Murphy is funny. Mikey is simply annoying. He's not funny and his mile-wide ego destroys the broadcast of the best racing series out there.

71Fan
1st March 2010, 10:00
I like Charlie. Would he could he without Eddie? Maybe, maybe not.

But Mikey without DW? Not a chance.