PDA

View Full Version : New Silverstone "Arena" layout for 2010

Dave B
11th February 2010, 14:47
According to Autosport this has been confirmed: a revised layout for the British Grand Prix leaving at Abbey and looping through a new "Arena" section adding 760m to the lap distance.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81407

AndyRAC
11th February 2010, 14:58
So they miss Bridge out? Marvellous, not!!
Why not let the MotoGP boys use the Arena track, but the F1 boys the 'normal' layout?

Dave B
11th February 2010, 15:00
I think it could have its merits, looking at the stunning photo here*:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/british-gp-to-use-new-silverstone-layout/

(Click the pic in the link for the huge version)

*Edit: which I just realised is a Photoshop job, but you get the idea.

Pulidor
11th February 2010, 15:42
I think it could have its merits, looking at the stunning photo here*:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/british-gp-to-use-new-silverstone-layout/

(Click the pic in the link for the huge version)

*Edit: which I just realised is a Photoshop job, but you get the idea.

Very nice pic there Dave :up:
Looks nice. The first right corner in the new section looks a little bit like copse IMO. Maybe a little bit slower, but good enough! Immediately after that a very fast left handed and then a braking (maybe overtaking) spot. I like the combination.

I found this other interpretation, hosted in f1fanatic.co.uk, which I don't dig that much:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/silverstone_2010-470x308.jpg

wedge
11th February 2010, 15:52
Hate it because the International circuit is completely ruined as Abbey hairpin was the best place for overtaking.

jens
11th February 2010, 16:32
Hmm... That change itself doesn't seem like a bad one, but the counterargument could be that by replacing the complex of corners in the last sector with a few straights may mean the loss of Silverstone's soul and identity.

wedge
11th February 2010, 16:35
Hmm... That change itself doesn't seem like a bad one, but the counterargument could be that by replacing the complex of corners in the last sector with a few straights may mean the loss of Silverstone's soul and identity.

Bridge corner RIP

Sonic
11th February 2010, 16:53
Bridge corner RIP

Bridge hasn't been a test in an F1 car for a long, long time, so I'm not too sad to see it go (plus I did take three wheels of there once on a wet january day so this is my revenge! *evil cackle* :D )

I am evil Homer
11th February 2010, 16:59
I'm all for the new layout and extra grandstands if it means extra seating at a lower price so people can go see the GP. But I doubt it...

truefan72
11th February 2010, 17:21
I like it.
and from the looks of this picture; http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/100185.jpg it would seem the new complex is a bit different (and much better) than the f1fanatic interpretation.

so it looks good to me

stephenw_us
11th February 2010, 17:27
Well thought out changes...very nice.

Silverstone remains my favorite race/circuit

Allyc85
11th February 2010, 19:38
I like the look of the changes. Bridge has been easy flat for ages now and with the viewing you had of it I never found it that impressive to be honest.

Just got to get some tickets booked now!

DazzlaF1
11th February 2010, 21:21
Well at least the Maggots/Becketts complex remains intact, that (im my view) replaced Bridge years ago as the circuit's best challenge.

VkmSpouge
11th February 2010, 22:44
I like the changes, can't wait to see the field rushing through the new complex.

wedge
11th February 2010, 23:00
Bridge hasn't been a test in an F1 car for a long, long time, so I'm not too sad to see it go (plus I did take three wheels of there once on a wet january day so this is my revenge! *evil cackle* :D )

Doesn't matter.

As Jens pointed a part of Silverstone's soul has been lost ie. I used to love the sound of an F1 engine reverberating under the bridge. As I walk through the main gates during the morning of April/June testing of yesteryear this sound sent a chill down my spine and butterflies round my stomach as I eagerly awaited to see F1 cars fly round Silverstone.

AndyRAC
11th February 2010, 23:20
I'm all for the new layout and extra grandstands if it means extra seating at a lower price so people can go see the GP. But I doubt it...

There's no way that will happen - charge a lower price.....I'll honestly eat my hat if that happens... ;)

nigelred5
12th February 2010, 01:22
Doesn't matter.

As Jens pointed a part of Silverstone's soul has been lost ie. I used to love the sound of an F1 engine reverberating under the bridge. As I walk through the main gates during the morning of April/June testing of yesteryear this sound sent a chill down my spine and butterflies round my stomach as I eagerly awaited to see F1 cars fly round Silverstone.

Looks like there is still a bridge in the second straight added?

turismo6
12th February 2010, 02:50
I think it looks good put with most new things in F1 i'll be taking a wait and see approach.

Mark
12th February 2010, 09:32
That's a shame, bridge was one of the few corners at Silverstone with any character to it!

ArrowsFA1
12th February 2010, 09:45
...I still find it abit sad that Abbey and Bridge are effectively gone.. :)
I'm still mourning a previous incarnation of Silverstone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNGCq24bbE

:eek:

Sonic
12th February 2010, 13:52

There is indeed a bridge on the national striaght however it isn't enclosed on both sides like bridge was/is so the sound won't bounce off so much. Overall I think the new layout is an improvement and will finally offer a big stop on a track that didn't really have any before. Club through abbey and all the way up the current international straight will all be flat chat so hopefully a few passes will occur at the new complex.

nigelred5
12th February 2010, 17:03
Silverstone certainly has always needed justification for carrying brakes on a car. If the photoshopped layout is what is actually going in, I think it will be a good change and add some opportunities while still being a balls-out, ultra high speed F1 track. Just please tell me Hermann Tilke isn't allowed to walk the grounds of Silverstone, much less have any hand in changes to the track...

It's not as if the Silverstone F1 layout hasn't been changed numerous times in the past, and it's also not like they can't go back to the old layout as it's never seemed like they really ever actually remove any on the old course when they introduce new changes.

Wasted Talent
12th February 2010, 18:51
Well at least the Maggots/Becketts complex remains intact, that (im my view) replaced Bridge years ago as the circuit's best challenge.

Agree, but the problem is that with the circuit now being longer there will be less laps so less times through Maggots/Becketts :(

WT

truefan72
12th February 2010, 21:56
I'm still mourning a previous incarnation of Silverstone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNGCq24bbE

:eek:

lol they needed to red flag that race. cars were spinning like on ice in the warm up lap and even in the warm up practice. Undrivable

wedge
13th February 2010, 00:29

It's all about Copse corner these days. Even Hamilton was feeling chicken about that corner till he nailed it flat out for his pole lap in 2007

There's a bridge on Hangar Straight but Bridge itself - the sound is more immense, more like tunnel. Also, Abbey chicane was another great spot (along with Maggots) to view the speed and direction change.

philipbain
13th February 2010, 12:49
I'm hoping that the new Arena layout will actually offer more spectator banking, so i'm all for it, yes bridge has gone but has bridge ever been the same since abbey was multilated in the mid 90s, vastly reducing the entry speed to bridge? I think not.

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 01:30
I always like Priory so it will be a little bit disappointing to see that go. But the new layout does look very promising and I hope it lives up to expectations.

Does this affect the international circuit?

Thanks for that 1978 International Trophy video Arrows. One of the best races I've seen :up:

Sonic
14th February 2010, 09:31
Yes, the international track will certainly change (and may be gone forever). If you look at the photoshop - the National track still leaves the GP layout at maggots but the International layout used to be the next right but that seems to be gone.

There is a link from the new arena track to chapel but if I were a betting man I'd guess that the International events would switch to the south circuit and the new pits that will pop up after club, that would allow Silverstone to run smaller events on the National track at the same time as major events on south - that makes a lot of sense, financially.

emporer_k
14th February 2010, 15:00
I like the look of it, hopefully it will produce good racing

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 15:57
Yes, the international track will certainly change (and may be gone forever). If you look at the photoshop - the National track still leaves the GP layout at maggots but the International layout used to be the next right but that seems to be gone.

I thought as much. I'm not happy about that because I loved the international circuit for touring car racing. ;(

Sonic
14th February 2010, 16:16
I thought as much. I'm not happy about that because I loved the international circuit for touring car racing. ;(

Its still guesswork as it is a photoshop - perhaps the International track as we know it can be saved? Although personally I always found that layout a bit lacking.

52Paddy
14th February 2010, 20:26
Its still guesswork as it is a photoshop - perhaps the International track as we know it can be saved? Although personally I always found that layout a bit lacking.

True, I'll wait until there is more news on the situation. I never found it lacking. I thought it was always a nice concise lap with every corner posing an overtaking opportunity. If anything, I suppose there was nothing particularly special about the layout when compared to Oulton Park or Brands Hatch, but I always seemed to enjoy watching races at that track over the years when the BTCC hit it.

wedge
15th February 2010, 00:07

Better than the National circuit, IMO, which reminds me of Avus & Norisring.

International is a bit more intersting. Abbey is my favourite viewing spot. Can't see why they can't make it similar to the last corner of the Nurburgring GP/Nordschleiffe

Sonic
15th February 2010, 10:45
Better than the National circuit, IMO, which reminds me of Avus & Norisring.

International is a bit more intersting. Abbey is my favourite viewing spot. Can't see why they can't make it similar to the last corner of the Nurburgring GP/Nordschleiffe

National does what it needs to - a 60 odd second lap for junior formula with a variation of corners in its compact size. International is Ok but a bit.....dull. Coming at Bridge from a virtual standstill from abbey hairpin removes the challenge.

Silverstone is always evolving so let's see what they come up with.

ArrowsFA1
15th February 2010, 10:56
Thanks for that 1978 International Trophy video Arrows. One of the best races I've seen :up:
You're welcome. Only came across the clips recently and it was the first time I'd seen the race since being there. It was my first 'live' F1 race and we were watching at Abbey corner getting very wet :s mokin:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_j6DETBOCNak/RnD89qDOWcI/AAAAAAAAAKg/5Me0a5unplM/s288/mandretti.jpg

Here's Mario, giving the gorgeous Lotus 79 its debut (IIRC), having just hit the Abbey "lake".

christophulus
15th February 2010, 17:54
I like it, especially as it means they'll put in a new pit/paddock which in turn should mean Bernie shuts up and lets the British GP stay on the calendar for a while!

philipbain
15th February 2010, 18:55

The reality is that the BTCC havnt used the International circuit for a number of years, instead preferring the shorter National circuit. To think of it I think only F3 have used the international layout in recent times.

wedge
16th February 2010, 00:32
The reality is that the BTCC havnt used the International circuit for a number of years, instead preferring the shorter National circuit. To think of it I think only F3 have used the international layout in recent times.

On the same bill as Brit GT annual 2hr race there too

AndyL
16th February 2010, 10:45

British Superbikes too. Though not quite the same circuit since they use the tighter version of Luffield followed by the ridiculous chicane across the normal pit lane entry.