PDA

View Full Version : Onions? Is there a place for them?

Mark
11th February 2010, 09:17
They are very nice when cooked in a curry for example, but I don't like them raw or on burgers.

Storm
11th February 2010, 09:30
Mark, I bet you would not be saying that if you were an Indian. I think its all to do with the type of food you have grown up with. Over here I cannot even imagine a world without onions (even though my eyes would probably love it).

Raw, cooked, fried - whatever, Indian food would not exist without it.

edit: I now see I took the bait :\ and that you have pre-empted Eki!

Daniel
11th February 2010, 09:31
They are very nice when cooked in a curry for example, but I don't like them raw or on burgers.
Ditto. Terrible things onions.....

Camelopard
11th February 2010, 10:06
I'm with Storm on this one, spring onions, red onions, brown onions, white onions, love them all..................

CarlMetro
11th February 2010, 10:56
What would an onion bharji be without onions? Or a cheese and oinion sandwich for that matter? Of course it helps if you know your onions...

Daniel
11th February 2010, 10:57
What would an onion bharji be without onions? Or a cheese and oinion sandwich for that matter? Of course it helps if you know your onions...
It would be a bhaji and the sandwich would be a cheese sandwich.

Hope that helps :)

Daniel

Hondo
11th February 2010, 11:19
Ditto. Terrible things onions.....

Damn immigrants. You bet! Onions on everything! On Whataburgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, chili, frito pie, tamales, enchiladas, in salads, mashed potatos, omletes, MMMmmmmmmmm, bring them on!

Daniel
11th February 2010, 11:25
Damn immigrants. You bet! Onions on everything! On Whataburgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, chili, frito pie, tamales, enchiladas, in salads, mashed potatos, omletes, MMMmmmmmmmm, bring them on!
Damn immigants!

Brown, Jon Brow
11th February 2010, 12:13
Bhaji's are horrible things!

Mark
11th February 2010, 12:16

Depends which ones you've had. The ones you get from the supermarket are so fundamentally different to the ones you get from proper Indian resaurants and takeaways that they shouldn't be called the same things.

The supermarket interpretations are mush, the proper thing tastes very good!

Daniel
11th February 2010, 12:21
Depends which ones you've had. The ones you get from the supermarket are so fundamentally different to the ones you get from proper Indian resaurants and takeaways that they shouldn't be called the same things.

The supermarket interpretations are mush, the proper thing tastes very good!
Yes but all onion bhaji's have onions in them therefore they're horrible.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th February 2010, 12:34
I don't mind spring onions

Dave B
11th February 2010, 14:44
Have you ever tried cooking your own? Tricky blighters to get right, it's a balancing act to keep the oil at the right temperature, but the reward is worth it :facelick:

Failing that, my local takeaway does some excellent ones!

Langdale Forest
11th February 2010, 16:40
I've never liked onions.

dunes
11th February 2010, 17:04
Onions are cool;all types leeks and and the like. And most are good for your health.

veeten
11th February 2010, 17:46
don't like onions?... then you'll love Vidalias. :lips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidalia_onion

Hondo
11th February 2010, 19:21
don't like onions?... then you'll love Vidalias. :lips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidalia_onion

Amen.

Macd
11th February 2010, 19:37
All onions are awesome/.

Camelopard
12th February 2010, 02:38
My wife has a recipe called Egyptian Chicken where amongst other things chicken pieces are marinated with heaps of onions, probably one of my favourite recipes.

An honourable mentions also goes to shallots,scallions and of course leeks and garlic.

Hondo
12th February 2010, 10:18
Some unions harvest onions.

NoahsGirl
12th February 2010, 13:43
I can't abide onions - vile things. They taste gross and smell even worse. I hate it when eateries assume everyone likes them and puts onions on a side salad. I have to make sure the waitress writes down that I do not want onions in the side salad, or it goes back and it then taints the rest of the food.

But I do love closeslaw!

Rollo
14th February 2010, 11:45
In Northern Ireland, many Onionists and Publicans spent a great deal of time arguing over Ulcer.

raybak
14th February 2010, 12:01
BBQ'd onions in beer!! Now that's the way to have them :)

Ray