PDA

View Full Version : Hubcaps/wheel covers: Have you lost one?

tannat
26th February 2007, 17:11
Curious if there actually exists someone who has owned a car with wheel covers/hub caps (the non-bolt on type) that has never lost one.

If the deal goes through on the Focus (see separate thread) I'll be dealing with hubcaps for the first time in my life. If I know they are bound to fall off sooner or later, I'll remove them the moment the car gets home....

Tannat

jim mcglinchey
26th February 2007, 18:04
The trick is to remove your Ford items before they get lost or damaged and keep them somewhere safe, put on cheapies in the meantime, and re fit the originals at trade in or selling time.

luvracin
26th February 2007, 18:22
Curious if there actually exists someone who has owned a car with wheel covers/hub caps (the non-bolt on type) that has never lost one.

My 1995 Holden Commodore I owned in Australia had plastic wheel covers. I never lost one.

GridGirl
26th February 2007, 18:43
I never lost one in the only car I had with them.

In my experience when I've heard friends or people at work loose one they've generally just said they were going to steal on off another car that has the same ones. :s

LotusElise
26th February 2007, 20:39
Spare ones are quite cheap and easy to source from scrapyards for a lot of cars.

Thniking about it, I've never owned a car with hub caps fitted.

Hazell B
26th February 2007, 20:43
We've had them, or at least part sets, on cars we've bought cheap at auction and can't remember ever losing any. That said, they always fall off on fast corners in films and on TV :p : I also once caught a young Pikey nicking a set from a vehicle at an auction and grabbed a porter to search his dad's car for them so they could be returned. He had several sets behind the seats :mark:

Daniel
26th February 2007, 20:46
Just zip tie them onto the rims. Problem solved.

Iain
26th February 2007, 21:59
I only ever lost two. And both times were because I killed them on a kerb, then 2nd time quite spectacularly. :p : Had alloys on my cars for the past 5 and a half years now, so I'm veeeeeeery careful now. :mark:

Cable ties are definitely the way to go.

tannat
27th February 2007, 00:03
Just zip tie them onto the rims. Problem solved.

Clever-I'll implement it! :up:

Considered merely leaving the caps off and spraying the steels white (a la WRC Sweden), but that might make me a chav.. :D

Captain VXR
27th February 2007, 09:19
Nah, chavs like HUUUGE chrome wheels.
innit blud dem wheels are so sick like You won't look like a chav.

Donney
27th February 2007, 11:27
I own a Focus and the only time I lost one was related to some black ice, a corner, huuuuge understeering and hitting a kerb very hard.

Zipping the covers to the rim is not a bad idea but you should carry a pocket knife in your car just in case you have to change a tire.

Iain
27th February 2007, 12:38
I own a Focus and the only time I lost one was related to some black ice, a corner, huuuuge understeering and hitting a kerb very hard.

That's exactly what happened to me the 2nd time. Turned a corner exiting my work carpark and bang. :s

Donney
27th February 2007, 15:01
It hurts. :(

Iain
27th February 2007, 16:12
I was just embarassed. :o

100%hondafan
28th February 2007, 23:26

Zipping the covers to the rim is not a bad idea but you should carry a pocket knife in your car just in case you have to change a tire.

the same thing went and found it and clipped back on haha.

other time was when i smakced a kurb it was haning of clipped back on again never failed me yet :)

Donney
1st March 2007, 10:54
Mine was broken and the rim severely bent so there was no point in recovering it. It was three years ago and since then, I have never had a problem again with my hubcaps.

Scuderia ferrari
1st March 2007, 20:14
No- but then, my parents cars don't have hub caps, they are proper wheels. I personally think that people how lose them make there cars look rubbish

Iain
1st March 2007, 21:26
Not everyone who has a car can afford one with 'proper wheels'. :rolleyes:

Daniel
1st March 2007, 22:12
What an idiot :rolleyes: Some people really don't care. Some people feel that those black things and the things that hold the black things on are just there to stop the car dragging on the road. I'm not really fussed that my 406 has steel rims and hubcabs mainly because the rear brakes are drums so it would look silly with alloys anyway.