PDA

View Full Version : Danica To Run Nationwide at Daytona

DanicaFan
8th February 2010, 08:01
Danica Patrick has decided to run in the Nationwide Series race at Daytona this Saturday, Feb. 13th at 1pm. The race is the Drive4COPD 300. Danica will use the points gained by Brad Keselowski in the #88 car for JR Motorsports last year to guarantee her starting spot. She will make the official announcement today (Monday).

Scotty G.
8th February 2010, 17:34
That is really exciting.

I hear there will about 42 other race car drivers in the event as well.

Easy Drifter
8th February 2010, 17:53
Are you sure Scotty? There didn't seen to be more than 2 or 3 besides the Princess in the ARCA race.
Heck in the write up in Motorsports. com on the women in the race the writer (can't call him a reporter) couldn't even get Jill George's name right!

DanicaFan
8th February 2010, 22:30
I am excited. I cant wait to see her on the podium! ( Thats the top 3 for those that dont know. ;) )

Easy Drifter
8th February 2010, 22:45
Going to have a veeeeeeeeeeeeery long wait.

beachgirl
9th February 2010, 00:10
I am excited. I cant wait to see her on the podium! ( Thats the top 3 for those that dont know. ;) )

DF, there is NO podium in NASCAR. In your mind, maybe, but in the real world, not.

NickFalzone
9th February 2010, 00:16
DF, there is NO podium in NASCAR. In your mind, maybe, but in the real world, not.

Technically true of course, and there's no trophy given. But NASCAR does highlight the top-3 like most other series do, by making them the 3 that show up in the press room to do all the media interviews. For some drivers that's a big deal. Not to Kyle Busch, but many do appreciate a "top 3" finish and call it that to the press.

harvick#1
9th February 2010, 00:23

theres no such thing as a podium in oval racing ;)

its either you win, or you lose.

Easy Drifter
9th February 2010, 01:04
I didn't want to disallusion the poor boy completely. :D

Although basically a road racer type the first race car I drove was a stock car on dirt.
Two of the first drivers I followed were Marshall Teague and Blackie Pitt!

TURN3
9th February 2010, 01:28
I didn't want to disallusion the poor boy completely. :D

Way too late on that one.

71Fan
9th February 2010, 01:29
After the way she handled the ARCA race, why not? And, if she runs the same type of race....hug the bottom and stay in line....I have no doubt that barring the usual demo derby stuff she will do just fine.

Well she got Go Daddy car and she's racing with big kids now yea.
Go Dani Go Dani Go Dani Go.
She got do dootle dootle do and do dootle dootle do do do yea
Go Dani Go Dani Go Dani Go.

Mark in Oshawa
9th February 2010, 02:08
I think This was the plan all along....but they didn't have the green light from NASCAR to put her on the Speedway in one of their series. THAT is the purpose of ARCA at Speedweeks.

I think she will find this one a greater litmus test, and I think 6th would be a dream for her in this race. In the Nationwide series, she will be playing on the same relative field as everyone else. In ARCA, she had an Ex Cup crew chief with the richest team in the business backing her against cars that are very ragged. That said...she did well....

Easy Drifter
9th February 2010, 03:26
That plus the ARCA cars tended to run single file with some side by side.
I expect the NAPCAR boys will run a lot more 2 and 3 wide which will be harder to deal with.
Still she did well.

Scotty G.
9th February 2010, 05:27
The Nationwide race is LOADED with talent and most drivers have TONS of stock car experience.

Stewart, Busch, Edwards, Dale Jr, Biffle, Keselowski, Logano, Kahne, Vickers and Harvick are just a tad more talented drivers then she ran into in the ARCA crash-fest last weekend.

I think its a big mistake to throw her into this, after just one stock car race (of any kind) in her life. I guess 6th place was "steller" enough, to try Nationwide at Daytona. :p

Fontana would have been a much better spot (with far less pressure and fewer Cup drivers in the field) for her to start in Nationwide.

DanicaFan
9th February 2010, 05:28
I still say you will see that green/black #7 car up front quite a bit. :)

Easy Drifter
9th February 2010, 07:22
Well since your predictions on the Princess' finishing positions are right about 1% of the time---------- :vader:

71Fan
9th February 2010, 15:57
I don't think it had anything at all to do with a NASCAR Green Light. I think it had to do with money, her abillity as scrutinzed by her car owner/people, and her own confidence. Sure, the green light was needed but a debut at Vegas with it's international status as a destination would have been a huge money-maker.

and btw, what with that huge hole coming low off 2 at Vegas, I would imagine that to be a greater challenge than riding around in a high speed parking lot.

RaceFanStan
11th February 2010, 04:53
Danica will be the 1st caution ... :eek:

call_me_andrew
11th February 2010, 06:48
I think This was the plan all along....but they didn't have the green light from NASCAR to put her on the Speedway in one of their series. THAT is the purpose of ARCA at Speedweeks.

I think she will find this one a greater litmus test, and I think 6th would be a dream for her in this race. In the Nationwide series, she will be playing on the same relative field as everyone else. In ARCA, she had an Ex Cup crew chief with the richest team in the business backing her against cars that are very ragged. That said...she did well....

The trick to finishing well in an ARCA race is to dodge all the idiots as they crash.

beachbum
11th February 2010, 11:47
Danica will be the 1st caution ... :eek: I doubt it. She will do what she always does. Park the car on the bottom line, put a gap between her and the car ahead and just try to hang onto the lead draft. With the quality of equipment she has, she might be able to do that. As others have trouble, she can move up. But unlike the ARCA race, the lead pack may be pretty big and since it often creates "the big one", her chances of being in an incident are very high. Her crew is pretty smart, and I doubt they want her racing anyone. Danica in the middle in a 3 wide draft? A VERY frightening thought.

slorydn1
11th February 2010, 13:48
Looking at Friday's weather, it doesn't look good for quals . I don't know where the 7 car is in last years points (the 5 car it replaces wasn't a full time ride so there fore is not eligible for a provisional, however we don't know with all the wheeling, dealing, and points buying where it shakes out).

I'm confident she'll race because her name isn't in red on the entry list, but I have a feeling she's gonna start in the back, cause I don't see them getting qualifying in.

beachbum
11th February 2010, 15:17
They bought the #11 points from last year. Since the 11 finished 15th in 2009, they bought her a good starting position. Money talks.

slorydn1
11th February 2010, 18:28
Ok, NOW EVEN I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED!!!! :angryfire

Just watched the nationwide practice, and all the whiners and complainers on this board WERE ABOSLUTELY CORRECT!!!!

It Litteraly was all Danica, all the time. Even the damn crawl at the bottom that most of us cant stand ANY WAY where the scores and tid bits about other sports that you may not want to know about right that minute because you may be taping it right then to watch later said "Danica Patrick taking part in Nationwide Series Final Practice on ESPN2" and Danica Patrick to make first NASCAR start on Sunday (etc etc). They interviewed Tony Stewart, and f course, they HADDA ask HIM about Danica, and it all went down hill from there."I don't know, I hadda turn off the TV, its like watching reruns. I can't believe you are actually interviewing me, what she must of quit or something." The WHOLE TIME he's talking they are shwing an in-car shot of Danica driving around the track IN PRACTICE. All her radio traffic was parsed to the enth degree.

I sure hope no one else was counting on seeing their driver in the Nationwide race tommorrow.

I actually feel sorry for her, because if she messes up just THIS much <1st finger and thumb pressed together> she's already not going to going to get any "rookie" benifit out of it, she's gonna get ripped apart.

I want her to do well, I really do, but PLEASE BSPN, don't ram her down my throat.

All right, ,got that off my chest, feel better now :s mokin:

71Fan
11th February 2010, 18:29
Can't wait to see how a female does (even as a total rookie) against the boys while sitting in a quality car. The last even semi-quality ride belonged to Janet Guthrie.

dunes
11th February 2010, 19:24
I hope it turns out better than her role on CSI NY last night.

Mark in Oshawa
11th February 2010, 22:48

Just watched the nationwide practice, and all the whiners and complainers on this board WERE ABOSLUTELY CORRECT!!!!

It Litteraly was all Danica, all the time. Even the damn crawl at the bottom that most of us cant stand ANY WAY where the scores and tid bits about other sports that you may not want to know about right that minute because you may be taping it right then to watch later said "Danica Patrick taking part in Nationwide Series Final Practice on ESPN2" and Danica Patrick to make first NASCAR start on Sunday (etc etc). They interviewed Tony Stewart, and f course, they HADDA ask HIM about Danica, and it all went down hill from there."I don't know, I hadda turn off the TV, its like watching reruns. I can't believe you are actually interviewing me, what she must of quit or something." The WHOLE TIME he's talking they are shwing an in-car shot of Danica driving around the track IN PRACTICE. All her radio traffic was parsed to the enth degree.

I sure hope no one else was counting on seeing their driver in the Nationwide race tommorrow.

I actually feel sorry for her, because if she messes up just THIS much <1st finger and thumb pressed together> she's already not going to going to get any "rookie" benifit out of it, she's gonna get ripped apart.

I want her to do well, I really do, but PLEASE BSPN, don't ram her down my throat.

GET Used to it...that is how ESPN/ABC rammed her down everyone's throat in the IRL. I figure this sort of coverage is part of the reason IRL fans tuned it out and found other things to do.

Danica is a race driver. Full stop. She isn't the first woman, nor is she the most compelling story AT Daytona. To ESPN tho, she is the show and all those guys out there passing her just keep getting in the way of a good story. I will be watching the Olympics on Saturday, so I wont have to put up with the Danica love fest.....

I sometimes wonder if I would have warmed up to her just a skosh if I didn't have all Danica/All the time coverage of her all these years. I am VERY supportive of women in racing, whether it was Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James, Sarah Fisher,Katharine Legge, Chrissy Wallace or Ali Owens. Allison MacLeod from Guelph ON is one of my fan pages on Facebook...and I hope to see her race NASCAR some day....so it isn't me being anti women in racing. I am just fed up with the overcoverage of one lady because she is "Cute". BIG HAIRY freaking deal.....

harvick#1
12th February 2010, 00:00
I'm actually kinda surprised ESPN hasn't told us that ESPN2 will run the race with non-stop "Danica" coverage, the entire race mic'ed up and in car view. :rolleyes:

I feel ashamed for the 50 or so other drivers racing this week, its a travesty how the Nascar world and racing media has to go gaga-gogo for Danica, whos such an overrated driver to begin with. I really prey that her engine lets go opening lap so we can actually watch a race and not get a Danica update every 2 seconds, but wait, I'll be at work, so I won't have to deal with watching it :laugh:

NickFalzone
12th February 2010, 00:01
It gets old pretty quick. I won't mind it this weekend during the Nwide race, I understand their interest in discussing/promoting their "hot new driver". But what really drove me nuts, and what will drive me nuts in NASCAR, is how years and years after everyone stopped giving a crap, ABC/ESPN STILL did the same old "all Danica, all the time". Finally by the end of 08 and the 09 season they covered the rest of the field in a fair way. But it was many years there where she would be regularly running out of the top 10 and we'd constantly be seeing the camera on her and hearing the commentators saying some nonsense about her racing abilities. This is particularly grating for the hardcore fans who are missing out on seeing what their favorite, much less famous drivers are up to on the track. And keep in mind this wasn't simply because she's a female driver. Sarah Fisher was in many of those races, and she got a few seconds here and there and quickly was forgotten in the race broadcast. But pretty much no matter was Danica was up to, the tv folks would have a close eye on it.

slorydn1
12th February 2010, 00:31
I'm actually kinda surprised ESPN hasn't told us that ESPN2 will run the race with non-stop "Danica" coverage, the entire race mic'ed up and in car view. :rolleyes:

I feel ashamed for the 50 or so other drivers racing this week, its a travesty how the Nascar world and racing media has to go gaga-gogo for Danica, whos such an overrated driver to begin with. I really prey that her engine lets go opening lap so we can actually watch a race and not get a Danica update every 2 seconds, but wait, I'll be at work, so I won't have to deal with watching it :laugh:

Thats pretty much what speed did during the ARCA race,they had a webpage that streamed her in car and radio for the entire race. I actually checked it out at the beginning and laughed my ass off when she forgot to shift from 3rd to 4th on the initial start.....the rev limiter kicked in and she jerked her head around looking for what was wrong, gthen grabbed for 4th gear.....i just about soiled my pants it was so funny. I then cut the computer off

Easy Drifter
12th February 2010, 01:20
Well I won't be watching.
It is on TSN2 in Canada and I do not get it, just TSN.
If I could just pay a little extra and get 2 I might but I have to pay Bell Satellite for an extra 'package' and receive a bunch of stations I have no interest in.
Same applies to IC races as most are on 2.
If they are broadcast on ABC then TSN shows them. Even if I watch on ABC I get Cdn. ads.

harvick#1
12th February 2010, 01:36
justin.tv will have the race on, if you really wanna watch it

71Fan
12th February 2010, 03:43
:

Sounds good to me. As I've said before, I enjoy the way she holds the wheel. Not being all bunched up on top of it.

call_me_andrew
12th February 2010, 03:46
Well it only stands to reason that ESPN would cover Danica as much as possible. She may not be the most interesting story, but she's the one everyone knows about. People don't watch sports in the hopes of learning new things.

dunes
12th February 2010, 20:34
Well it only stands to reason that ESPN would cover Danica as much as possible. She may not be the most interesting story, but she's the one everyone knows about. People don't watch sports in the hopes of learning new things.

Thats what playstation and Wii are for.lol

Jag_Warrior
15th February 2010, 03:19
Well, she did well enough in the ARCA race and other than being afraid to bump-draft, she didn't suck in the Nationwide Series race. But considering the coverage (*cough cough* HYPE!) she's getting, I expect to see her turn water into wine (not WHINE!) by the end of the season. Yep, welcome to the World According to Danica, folks: All Danica, All the Time.

The problem I've always had with DanicaMania, if she manages to tie her shoes without help, it suddenly becomes a "legitimate" sports news story with never ending coverage. She's knocking on 28 years of age... and she's managed to win one professional auto race in her entire life. She's not the worst driver in the world, and I'd never say that she was. But she is SO far from being a top tier driver (in any series) that this (over)attention is past ridiculous. :rolleyes:

WSRfan82
15th February 2010, 06:30
She did pretty dam will id say. well done to her and great car control. Patrick all the way and like to say congrats to Earnhart Jr on his 2nd place excellent run

SportscarBruce
15th February 2010, 14:05

GET Used to it...that is how ESPN/ABC rammed her down everyone's throat in the IRL. I figure this sort of coverage is part of the reason IRL fans tuned it out and found other things to do. .

And this is how NewsCorp/ESPN/ABC/most every other mainstream media outlet has jammed NASCAR down every fan's throat. And so the pairing of Danica+NASCAR=A Double Throat Jam

TURN3
15th February 2010, 14:30
She did pretty dam will id say. well done to her and great car control. Patrick all the way and like to say congrats to Earnhart Jr on his 2nd place excellent run

You'd say that dropping out of the draft from the lead pack in 5 green flag laps, losing the draft of the back pack in 20, and losing a lap in 50, having the fortune to get the free pass...only to begin doing it all over again in 15 laps, all while in one of the strongest cars in the field...you'd call that well done?

Some of you people kill me with your comedy. Buy hey like I said I can't wait until next Saturday. The joke will even get funnier now that we are getting to a drivers track for the first time...the one thing she has been most consistently horrible at in an Indycar.

DanicaFan
15th February 2010, 14:58
You'd say that dropping out of the draft from the lead pack in 5 green flag laps, losing the draft of the back pack in 20, and losing a lap in 50, having the fortune to get the free pass...only to begin doing it all over again in 15 laps, all while in one of the strongest cars in the field...you'd call that well done?

Some of you people kill me with your comedy. Buy hey like I said I can't wait until next Saturday. The joke will even get funnier now that we are getting to a drivers track for the first time...the one thing she has been most consistently horrible at in an Indycar.

Whatever. Wait till she gets on that podium at Fontana. She is gonna do awesome!

Easy Drifter
15th February 2010, 15:36
DF do you have any idea of the hundreds of thousands of dollars people have lost following your predictions for the Princess in their betting?And there is NO podium in NAPCAR.

SportscarBruce
15th February 2010, 15:59
Since Danica and her boss Mr Go Daddy Earrings have pulled out all the stops in pursuit of maximum exploitation I suggest they place a stripper pole in victory lane for Ms. Patrick

Lee Roy
15th February 2010, 17:26
And there is NO podium in NAPCAR.

Is there one in the Itard Indy Car Series?

Blancvino
15th February 2010, 17:35
Whatever. Wait till she gets on that podium at Fontana. She is gonna do awesome!

Are you still hiding from the Process Server trying to present you with a Restraining Order?

TURN3
15th February 2010, 17:59

As always, put your money where your mouth is or shut said delusional mouth. I'll take any bet against your .00000001% rate of accuracy.

TURN3
15th February 2010, 18:01
Since Danica and her boss Mr Go Daddy Earrings have pulled out all the stops in pursuit of maximum exploitation I suggest they place a stripper pole in victory lane for Ms. Patrick

Why, it'll just get rusty sitting there idle...that is unless a talented female comes along to use it.

Scotty G.
15th February 2010, 18:14
Is there one in the Itard Indy Car Series?

Unfortunately.

Since our series is hellbent on being like F1 lite or some Euro road racing series, we need "podiums" to show off 1st and 2nd LOSER and give them a little league trophy.

SportscarBruce
15th February 2010, 18:40
Why, it'll just get rusty sitting there idle...that is unless a talented female comes along to use it.

Na, the DANICAR networks would use it as an interview prop.

DanicaFan
15th February 2010, 20:24
DF do you have any idea of the hundreds of thousands of dollars people have lost following your predictions for the Princess in their betting?And there is NO podium in NAPCAR.

I know there is no podium in NASCAR, I just always refer to it instead of the top 3, its easier to say. ;)

TURN3
16th February 2010, 00:17
I know there is no podium in NASCAR, I just always refer to it instead of the top 3, its easier to say. ;)

"The Podium" = 9 characters plus space
"The Top 3" = 7 characters plus 2 spaces

Logic spoken like a true delusional moron.

harvick#1
16th February 2010, 00:40
DF do you have any idea of the hundreds of thousands of dollars people have lost following your predictions for the Princess in their betting?

to put money on Danica is like giving money to a bank and saying I don't want it, you keep it :p :

71Fan
16th February 2010, 16:51
I don't know....some of the casinos here in Nevada have numerous driver match-up bets, and some allow for betting on 1st thru 3rd place. Plus, the odds are going to be huge. She went off at 50 to 1 for Daytona which would have put her at about 16 to 1 to finish third. I would guess that by about her 10th race she might be worth a few bucks wagered.

Mark in Oshawa
16th February 2010, 18:15
I don't know....some of the casinos here in Nevada have numerous driver match-up bets, and some allow for betting on 1st thru 3rd place. Plus, the odds are going to be huge. She went off at 50 to 1 for Daytona which would have put her at about 16 to 1 to finish third. I would guess that by about her 10th race she might be worth a few bucks wagered.

They will be happy to TAKE your money....

TURN3
16th February 2010, 18:52

A few bucks if you are filthy rich maybe...then again if somebody is filthy rich they likely aren't that stupid and gullable.

71Fan
17th February 2010, 03:22
Used to be that the Driver Bets only numbered about 10, and The Field was 25/1. I'ld take The Field every Sunday and by the end of the year, I was way out front.

Last year, making 5 and 10 dollar bets I came out about $200 ahead. Most of my bets are in the 5/1 to 20/1 range and I cover between 5 and 10 drivers without ever taking the odds on favorite who at times has been as low as 1 to 2 or worse.

I used to run a game called Beat The Bookies at another board but stopped after one year because it was simply too much work.

Anyways......Danica to finish 3rd at 16/1 means that if you make that bet 16 times AND you hit just once, you are even. And, considering the competition and her equipment, I do not think her finishing third just once in 16 tries is out of the question. Maybe even twice or three times. Which would make it an outstanding bet.

Mark in Oshawa
17th February 2010, 04:16
Used to be that the Driver Bets only numbered about 10, and The Field was 25/1. I'ld take The Field every Sunday and by the end of the year, I was way out front.

Last year, making 5 and 10 dollar bets I came out about $200 ahead. Most of my bets are in the 5/1 to 20/1 range and I cover between 5 and 10 drivers without ever taking the odds on favorite who at times has been as low as 1 to 2 or worse.

I used to run a game called Beat The Bookies at another board but stopped after one year because it was simply too much work.

Anyways......Danica to finish 3rd at 16/1 means that if you make that bet 16 times AND you hit just once, you are even. And, considering the competition and her equipment, I do not think her finishing third just once in 16 tries is out of the question. Maybe even twice or three times. Which would make it an outstanding bet.

You would lose. NASCAR, even in the Nationwide fields is tough, and Danica ran really well at Daytona, which is NOT indicative of the rest of the season. She is going to run 13 races, mixed in with her IRL work. She wont get testing and some of the tracks she has never seen before. You want to bet money on Danica having a top 3? I don't think there is too many who watch NASCAR who post on this board who wouldn't be happy to take your action.