PDA

View Full Version : ARCA - Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200

DanicaFan
4th February 2010, 05:39
Well, Danica's stock car debut is this Saturday at Daytona for the Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 in the ARCA Series. You can tell Im excited so I am starting a thread about it.

Danica has been in New York for photo shoots and other media this week but she will be testing along with the other drivers for this race at Daytona. They practice Thursday (today). Danica will be in the #7 Go Daddy Chevrolet. Go get em' Danica!!

Here is the entry list for the race..

Car# & Driver / Team (Sponsor)& Car Manufacturer

#0 Butch Jarvis / Steris Corporation / Dodge
#1 Nick Igdalsky / ModSpace / Ford
#4 Ricky Carmichael / Monster Energy / Toyota
#5 Bobby Gerhart / Lucas Oil Slick Mist / Chevrolet
#6 Nelson Piquet / ESR / Toyota
#7 Danica Patrick / GoDaddy.com / Chevrolet
#10 Mike Holt / Casite / Chevrolet
#11 Bryan Silas / Rockingham Speedway-American Custom Yachts / Ford
#12 Russ Dugger / Accell Construction / Chevrolet
#14 Chase Mattioli / Big Machine Records / Ford
#15 Ali Owens / Electrifying Careers.com / Chevrolet
#16 Joey Coulter / Rip It Energy / Chevrolet
#17 Hal Martin / Mark Gibson Racing / Dodge
#21 Jennifer Jo Cobb / Bowsher-Mooi Motorsports / Chevrolet
#23 Frank Wilson / Drug Testing Centers of America-Lifeguard Medical / Chevrolet
#25 Mikey Kile / TAG Heuer Eyewear / Toyota
#26 Brad Smith / ApplianceZone.com / Ford
#28 Chris Cockrum / Accu-Tech-Mohawk Cable / Chevrolet
#29 Jesse Smith / Hormel Foods-Child's Tire / Dodge
#30 Terry Jones / Jones Group / Dodge
#31 Tim George Jr. / RCR Development / Chevrolet
#32 Justin Marks / Construct Corps / Toyota
#34 Darrell Basham / Anti-Monkey Butt Powder / Chevrolet
#35 John Wes Townley / Zaxby's / Toyota
#36 Robb Brent / Orchard Chrysler Dodge Jeep / Dodge
#38 Greg Sarff / Great Dane Trailers / Dodge
#42 Scott Stenzel / Yellow Stripes Making The Driver / Ford
#43 Kyle Martel / Hanover Cold Storage-Finish Line Express / Chevrolet
#44 Frank Kimmel / Ansell-Menards / Ford
#48 Jill George / Radon.com / Dodge
#51 James Buescher / Miccosukee Gaming & Resort / Toyota
#52 Bill Baird / Saturn Machine / Chevrolet
#55 Steve Arpin / Venturini Motorsports / Toyota
#58 Chad Hackenbracht / Tastee Chocolate Apples / Chevrolet
#59 Leilani Munter / Green and Save / Dodge
#60 Patrick Sheltra / PowerTrac Machinery / Dodge
#66 Mark Thompson / Phoenix Air / Toyota
#68 Steve Blackburn / Harley Davidson & Honda of Prestonburg / Dodge
#73 Amber Cope / Asset Protect / Dodge
#75 Chuck Walker / Bob Schacht Motorsports / Chevrolet
#76 Jerick Johnson / American Legion-David Law Firm / Dodge
#77 Tom Hessert / Cunningham Motorsports / Dodge
#80 Brad Lloyd / Stadelhofer Construction-Matt Cardeiro Enterprises / Ford
#81 Craig Goess / Greenville Toyota of NC / Toyota
#83 Sean Corr / Empire Racing LLC / Ford
#85 Lance Fenton / Team Gill Racing / Dodge
#89 Chris Lafferty / Lafferty Perfomance / Chevrolet
#90 Milka Duno / Stringer Motorsports / Toyota
#95 Tommy Joe Martins / Tommy Joe Martins Racing / Ford
#97 Matt Lofton / Strutmasters.com / Chevrolet
#99 Josh Richards / Presta / Chevrolet
#03 Donny Kelley / Royal Purple-Porter Glass-American Screen / Chevrolet
#06 Barry Fitzgerald / TheBusPlace.com / Ford
#07 TBA / Stott Classic Racing / Chevrolet
#09 Grant Enfinger / BeasleyAllen.com-Rous Yates Performance / Ford

Easy Drifter
4th February 2010, 09:14
Go #15 and #90.

DanicaFan
4th February 2010, 11:59
Go #15 and #90.

Milka doesnt stand a chance. Danica will finish in the top 5 for sure.

Andrewmcm
4th February 2010, 13:50
In her first stock car race? Man that's optimism for you.

Alexamateo
4th February 2010, 14:34
7 women entered, also Nelsinho Piquet, it could be interesting. 55 cars or so are entered so not everyone will qualify.

Given the equipment, a top 10 is not beyond the realm of possibilities, especially if she can avoid the wreckfest that this race often becomes.

Lee Roy
4th February 2010, 15:22
Danica will finish in the top 5 for sure.

Are you sure she's going to qualify? This isn't an Indy Car race where all you have to do is show up and have a pulse.

edv
4th February 2010, 16:28
My money's on the guy from Monty Python :)

The instant classic
4th February 2010, 18:09
will they show the race on speed??

beachbum
4th February 2010, 18:15
Milka doesnt stand a chance. Danica will finish in the top 5 for sure.I applaud your enthusiasm. She has a car to finish top 5, but does she have the talent? That is the question this event may try to answer.

Easy Drifter
4th February 2010, 19:01
Yes it is on Speed as are practice and qualifying.
I do not really expect 90 to do well but would laugh pretty hard if the 90 beats the 7.
15 is for real with I feel a real chance of winning.

Oli_M
4th February 2010, 21:00
There is no question that Danica will have a car that should finish in the top 5. Hendrick are almost certainly the best funded and biggest organisation in the race (and that's meant with no disrespect for any of the other teams). If Danica doesn't make the top 5 it certainly won't be because of the car or team.

I'll be supporting the 51 and 15. I hope Danica doesn't finish last, that's a spot I have reserved for Piquet.

DanicaFan
4th February 2010, 22:49
Well, the practic session is over. James Buescher had the best times today. He had a lap time of 49.355 with a speed of 182.325. Danica Patrick was 17th fastest with a lap time of 49.866 with a speed of 180.484.

The top 5 were..

1. #51 James Buescher - 49.355 / 182.325
2. #25 Mikey Kile - 49.379 / 182.264
3. #66 Mark Thompson - 49.513 / 181.77
4. #16 Joey Coulter - 49.537 / 181.682
5. #22 Dakoda Armstrong - 49.549 / 181.638

harvick#1
5th February 2010, 00:10
In her first stock car race? Man that's optimism for you.

Montoya's first race in a stock car was at Talladega in ARCA and he finished 3rd I believe. but he had basically a Cup crew with Chip going against small teams.

much like Danica gets basically an unlimited budget team in Hendrick vs the underfunded teams, who has the advantage

Easy Drifter
5th February 2010, 01:10
I had better get new glasses. Only the race is on Speed.
Sorry.

Scotty G.
5th February 2010, 02:55
Anybody see Princess's interview with Nicole Manske Briscoe on ESPN today?

Talk about an "icey" interaction. :eek:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that those two cannot stand one another. Danica gave some real "snarky" reponses and you could tell, she was just trying to get out of there.

BTW, Nicole is looking really good. Very tan after the recent honeymoon and still stacked. Maybe Princess is intimidated being next to an obviously better looking women?

beachbum
5th February 2010, 12:27
Anybody see Princess's interview with Nicole Manske Briscoe on ESPN today?

Talk about an "icey" interaction. :eek:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that those two cannot stand one another. Danica gave some real "snarky" reponses and you could tell, she was just trying to get out of there.

BTW, Nicole is looking really good. Very tan after the recent honeymoon and still stacked. Maybe Princess is intimidated being next to an obviously better looking women?They have a "history" as they were both cheerleaders at Hononegah High School in 1996 (before Danica dropped out of school). As you noticed, they don't like each other. In some previous interviews, Nicole has hinted at her opinion of Danica the person as she knew her well long before Danica became a "brand". But like most people in motor sports, Nicole has been careful to be "politically correct".

I haven't figured out why people treat Danica with such deference, but a few like Nicole and Buddy Rice have hinted they will "tell all" when the Danica phenomenon runs out of steam, or they leave racing and can't be penalized for speaking their mind. There are many powerful people who have invested in the Danica brand, and criticizing that investment apparently has consequences. Much of her history has been "sanitized".

DanicaFan
5th February 2010, 14:51
Qualifying coming up soon.

Cant wait to see Danica in the front row!!

Go get em' Danica! :)

DanicaFan
5th February 2010, 18:24
Well, qualifying is over. James Buescher won the pole. He had a lap time of 49.575 with a speed of 181.543.

Danica Patrick did very well, she qualified 11th with a lap time of 50.059 and a speed of 179.788.

Mark in Oshawa
5th February 2010, 18:26
They have a "history" as they were both cheerleaders at Hononegah High School in 1996 (before Danica dropped out of school). As you noticed, they don't like each other. In some previous interviews, Nicole has hinted at her opinion of Danica the person as she knew her well long before Danica became a "brand". But like most people in motor sports, Nicole has been careful to be "politically correct".

I haven't figured out why people treat Danica with such deference, but a few like Nicole and Buddy Rice have hinted they will "tell all" when the Danica phenomenon runs out of steam, or they leave racing and can't be penalized for speaking their mind. There are many powerful people who have invested in the Danica brand, and criticizing that investment apparently has consequences. Much of her history has been "sanitized".

Doesn't surprise me. Lets just say I saw and heard some rather diva behaviour when she raced in Toronto for Rahal in Atlantics....

Easy Drifter
5th February 2010, 19:00
Must be a lot of cheating in ARCA.
How else would 10 cars go faster than the Princess. :D

TURN3
5th February 2010, 19:33
Must be a lot of cheating in ARCA.
How else would 10 cars go faster than the Princess. :D

11, she's 12th. And you are correct, how is it possible that anybody out qualified her? Bunch of cheaters!

I'm officially a lesser person for even posting on this subject as I couldn't care less. I couldn't resist seeing what her stalker was posting though. :D

TURN3
5th February 2010, 19:41

I shouldn't say names but I've been privelged to have some insight of one of her former teammates in Europe...who I might ad is one of the top drivers in his associated class...lets just say the grass isn't greener on the other side of those airbrushed photos. She never has had much respect behind closed doors (professionally or personally) for obvious reasons but everybody keeps up the public political correctness for the sake of avoiding controversy. Where the hell is PT!!!!??? Even he has tried to thwart critics of her and I think no doubt in an effort to "smooth" over some past comments. In the end, she's shown who she is too often in public, she's a clown and we all know it. The media can make what ever they want of her. The media is trying to portray an improving economy too but the facts are still there for intelligent people to decide for their own.

beachbum
5th February 2010, 19:43
Doesn't surprise me. Lets just say I saw and heard some rather diva behaviour when she raced in Toronto for Rahal in Atlantics....What stands out in my mind is how her previous teammates and teams all seem very tight lipped about her. Many racers leave some debris in their wake in their careers, but in most cases people still talk openly about working with them. In her case - silence. There are a few other "behind the scenes" stories that are less than complimentary. There is one story where she got a person fired who dared to criticize her.

Mark in Oshawa
5th February 2010, 22:01
I am going to defend her partially, despite my previous post. People do change, and I think she has changed a bit attitude wise from the early years.

We shall see how she makes out in NASCAR. I know that whatever she did or didn't do in the open wheel world, it wont matter now. In NASCAR they have no preconceptions about anyone if they just do the job. Danica does the job, she will get respect, but if the lets the inner diva out, well, it will be UGLY.

As for her getting at 12th, qualifying doesn't mean much at Daytona. Let's see how she races Saturday shall we? No one has ever won nothing in qualifying at Daytona...

DanicaFan
5th February 2010, 22:06
The starting grid shows Danica in 12th. She had the same speed as Patrick Sheltra who is now shown in 11th. They both had lap times of 50.059 and speeds of 179.788.

Scotty G.
5th February 2010, 22:31
I am going to defend her partially, despite my previous post. People do change, and I think she has changed a bit attitude wise from the early years.

She hasn't changed a bit. What has changed, is that her handlers (IMG, I believe) have crafted a little softer image for her and have coached her to be a little more friendly.

Its all an act. Anyone who really knows her, knows what a pretentious, spoiled brat she is. Anyone who knows her father, knows exactly where her attitude comes from.

She has never gotten along with teammates, at ANY level of racing. She has never been popular with team members, at ANY level of racing. When she has left previous spots, it was met with joy and relief among many inside teams.

She has some talent. But not enough, to act the way she has over her career. You have to be world championship/Cup championship caliber, to get away with some of that stuff. She is far from that.

And now, she is heading to NASCAR, where they have chewed up and spit back much more talented drivers then her over the years. And to make things worse for her, she will alienate so many folks, that it won't even be funny. A LOT of folks will tire of her quickly and the attention her handlers get for her, and then it will get ugly.

Easy Drifter
5th February 2010, 22:54
All the press are giving her far more coverage than anyone else , including pole. There is no way resentment will not be quickly building.

beachbum
5th February 2010, 22:54
While is is hard to tell at this point how she will do, the whole experiment is a HUGE gamble IMHO. There are many people who have heavy investments in time and promotion based on the concept that she will do well. Even if she downplays it, there is huge pressure on her to succeed. If she doesn't, there are going to be a lot of people with expensive egg on their face. This whole "experiment" could backfire, and with all of the media watching, it won't be pretty.

Then again, maybe she is the next NASCAR champion............ ;)

Scotty G.
6th February 2010, 01:39
While is is hard to tell at this point how she will do, the whole experiment is a HUGE gamble IMHO.

No "gamble" for her.

Its only the natural progression for her to move to NASCAR. Its what every American driver worth anything would like to do.

Go Daddy is paying her big dollars and paying her team in NASCAR mucho dollars for her ride.

She will become VERY rich, VERY fast with this endeavor.

As long as she doesn't completely embarrass herself (like Dario did) and has a good run every-now-and-then, that will be enough. She doesn't have to do well on track in NASCAR to be a success.

Just keep cashing those checks and making her commercials and keeping her name out there and by the time the jig is up, it will be about time for her to end her racing career anyway. She will have made a BOAT load of money, for pretty minimal racing results, and will retire and go on with the rest of her life, financially set.

Whatever happens, unless she bombs out quickly in the next 2 years, her career as a Indy Car driver is probably done after this season. She won't be back, except for Indy.

beachgirl
6th February 2010, 06:11
You're right - little gamble for her except for loss of reputation (which is questionable anyway) and injury. By her quotes of the past two days, I'm astounded by her apparent lack of understanding about what she is really getting herself into. I worry for the people who will be racing around her.

The gamble is for JRM, Kelly Earnhardt, NASCAR, and all the NASCAR media whores and others who think she's the second coming. There are a lot of people who have staked their credibility on a person who isn't particularly competitive, nor has the innate desire to win. I don't mean talking the talk, she does that quite well, but talk is cheap. She doesn't have a winner's instincts, and has proven that over and over again.

I still would love to know what the contracted monetary compensation from JRM/Patrick to Andretti Autosports is, if/when she gets hurt in ARCA/Nationwide and can't fulfill her Andretti contract at any point and for any race. Michael is no fool - his investment is contractually protected somehow.

Mark in Oshawa
6th February 2010, 06:25
She hasn't changed a bit. What has changed, is that her handlers (IMG, I believe) have crafted a little softer image for her and have coached her to be a little more friendly.

Its all an act. Anyone who really knows her, knows what a pretentious, spoiled brat she is. Anyone who knows her father, knows exactly where her attitude comes from.

She has never gotten along with teammates, at ANY level of racing. She has never been popular with team members, at ANY level of racing. When she has left previous spots, it was met with joy and relief among many inside teams.

She has some talent. But not enough, to act the way she has over her career. You have to be world championship/Cup championship caliber, to get away with some of that stuff. She is far from that.

And now, she is heading to NASCAR, where they have chewed up and spit back much more talented drivers then her over the years. And to make things worse for her, she will alienate so many folks, that it won't even be funny. A LOT of folks will tire of her quickly and the attention her handlers get for her, and then it will get ugly.

I wont dispute all of it...but I will say if she keeps her mouth shut from being the diva, she may have a shot...but I agree, she likely is getting coached.

AS for the attitude, as I said, I saw it years ago....and in NASCAR that wont fly..

I do know tho the media around NASCAR were all sort of negative towards her going there until she got there, and all the sudden the pom poms are out on a few of them.

DW was intersting tonight on Speed tho...he says she looks really good by herself and nice and calm talking to Tony Eury Jr. now...but when The Green drops Saturday and she is the meat in the sandwich for lap after lap, any personality quirks or anxieties will be blasting down the radio. I bet Tony Eury JR will be longing for the races where fought with his cousin for only half the race!

Easy Drifter
6th February 2010, 08:38
Watching the race may be agonizing. Apparently Speed are going all out on her. Camera(s) in the car, to be expected, but a grandstand roof camera that will be on her all the time.
Just the same she may learn what the phrase "tradin' paint" really means.
Hope Ali whomps her big time.

beachbum
6th February 2010, 11:59
Watching the race may be agonizing. Apparently Speed are going all out on her. Camera(s) in the car, to be expected, but a grandstand roof camera that will be on her all the time.
Just the same she may learn what the phrase "tradin' paint" really means.
Hope Ali whomps her big time.Your choice of the word "grandstand" is very appropriate. I wanted to watch this race because ARCA often showcases new talent and there are many other interesting stories in the race. But this blatant adulation turns me off, so I guess I will watch with the sound off, or just follow timing and scoring.

DanicaFan
6th February 2010, 16:42
Danica's race could save new ticket holders money for this year's Indianapolis 500 by leading laps in this ARCA race.

If Patrick leads 40 laps, fans will receive a $40 reduction from the regular $90 price of a Tower Terrace ticket purchased between Saturday, Feb. 6 through Saturday Feb. 13. If she leads all 80 laps of the race, fans will receive the $90 ticket for $10!

In honor of Patrick's ground-breaking 19-lap run at the front in the closing laps of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race in 2005, the Speedway will offer at least $19 savings on Tower Terrace tickets for the 2010 Indy 500 purchased during the promotion dates. If Patrick doesn't qualify for the ARCA race or leads 19 or fewer laps in the No. 7 JR Motorsports Chevrolet, the ticket price reduction remains $19.

The promotion is for new purchases of Tower Terrace tickets only.

Speedworx
6th February 2010, 17:36
Danica will cause a big wreck in ARCA, imo.

beachgirl
6th February 2010, 18:26
I'm going to have to watch though. Kind of like a train wreck you know is coming, but you can't look away? However it goes, I do seriously hope she herself comes out of it in one piece.

dunes
6th February 2010, 21:28
She's daring,cunning and cute. I'll wish her well and offer my support.If thats not enough I'd like to offer her my number.

TURN3
6th February 2010, 23:33
Watching this ARCA thing...uh I mean the coverage of the world's most amazing driver. Absolute comedy..DW praising how unbelievable her recovery skill are...only to go in car and see she completely let go of the wheel and covered her face!! Spin that DW...she's not very good in any car, let alone this 5th rate series of weekend warriors.

DanicaFan
7th February 2010, 00:02
Danica finishes 6th! Way to go Danica!

dunes
7th February 2010, 00:06
Where I agree ARCA is a slower pace less exciting race; its a prelim for racing in the truest fashion of motorsports and its if nothing else its competitive. There are many reasons a person watches racing and the ARCA event is to help fuel the fire for the coming two weeks of Daytona, with the internship of a new popular name and face it would be interesting to bet for or against her.

TURN3
7th February 2010, 00:13
Where I agree ARCA is a slower pace less exciting race; its a prelim for racing in the truest fashion of motorsports and its if nothing else its competitive. There are many reasons a person watches racing and the ARCA event is to help fuel the fire for the coming two weeks of Daytona, with the internship of a new popular name and face it would be interesting to bet for or against her.

Well said. I'm not much of a stock car fan but this time of year Daytona Speedweeks really gets the blood going.

As one of Danica's biggest critics, I will say for what could be expected surrounding all of the circumstances she achieved a small victory. She didn't make a fool of herself and that was really the gamble. Her late race surge was due to the fresh tires so a little overblown but still, she didn't make any mistakes you wouldn't expect. I expected her to drop to the back not run side by side...she was obviously afraid to but she did it so kudos, credit where it is due.

Easy Drifter
7th February 2010, 00:14
An impressive run. I don't like her but a good job for her first stock car race.
Piquet on the other hand-------!

I do hope she tries the Nationwide race now.

dunes
7th February 2010, 00:18
Unfortunitly I was etained from watching the event. I would appreciate feedback as to winner and Danaca's finish.
Turn3 you're ok in my book.Look foreward the upcoming season'S.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 00:27
Best 6th place in the history of motor racing.

She looked good in NASCAR's equivelent of Class A minor league baseball.

The race was a joke (ARCA has never belonged at Daytona).

How did Scott Speed do in his first ARCA start?

71minus2
7th February 2010, 00:28
agreed. Danica dominated the coverage but she did OK. Last to 6th! Piquet on the other hand was shocking.

NickFalzone
7th February 2010, 00:36
well, 6th out of 43 cars is impressive no matter how u cut it. Granted she probably had a top 3 car, but that's kind of irrelevant when you literally have not driven in a stock car race ever. I'm not confident she will be a top 10 or even top 15 driver in NWide this year, but this kind of start has to impress the naysayers.

DanicaFan
7th February 2010, 00:43
Here are the final results..

1. #5 Bobby Gerhart
2. #66 Mark Thompson
3. #35 John Wes Townley
4. #51 James Buescher
5. #60 Patrick Sheltra
6. #7 Danica Patrick
7. #4 Ricky Carmichael
8. #95 Tommy Joe Martins
9. #11 Bryan Silas
10. #55 Steve Arpin
11. #32 Justin Marks
12. #38 Chris Cockrum
13. #36 Robb Brent
14. #83 Sean Corr
15. #77 Tom Hessert
16. #25 Mikey Kile
17. #21 Jennifer Jo Cobb
18. #23 Frank Wilson
19. #31 Tim George Jr.
20. #1 Nick Igdalsky
21. #30 Terry Jones
22. #34 Darrell Basham
23. #15 Ali Owens
24. #26 Brad Smith
25. #44 Frank Kimmel
26. #16 Joey Coulter
27. #6 Nelson Piquet
28. #14 Chase Mattioli
29. #06 Barry Fitzgerald
30. #09 Grant Enfinger
31. #48 Jill George
32. #29 Jesse Smith
33. #22 Dakoda Armstrong
34. #81 Craig Goess
35. #17 Hal Martin
36. #52 Bill Baird
37. #68 Steve Blackburn
38. #12 Russ Dugger
39. #59 Leilani Munter
40. #58 Chad Hackenbracht
41. #0 Butch Jarvis
42. #99 Josh Richards
43. #99 Milka Duno

Hoss Ghoul
7th February 2010, 00:45
Impossible not to judge that race as a solid stock car debut for Danica.

Ran well single file early, staying out of trouble.
Got two wide on the outside for a little bit in one of the early green flag runs.
Had a nice save in the tri-oval after Piquet body slammed her into the grass.
Quality pass coming from the top of turn 4 outside-lane-to-inside-lane under and up for a spot, followed by one or two more.

Then the early move to the outside with about 5-6 to go...

Still, liked the momentum stealing bump on Rickey Carmichael in the #4 car to grab a spot at the start finish line.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 01:01
I'm not confident she will be a top 10 or even top 15 driver in NWide this year, but this kind of start has to impress the naysayers.

Top 10 or 15 in Nationwide? How about realistically just staying on the lead lap in most races? Good drivers with tons of experience, have trouble finishing in the top 10 in Nationwide.

Sorry, but running the best funded car in the field (with a big time crew) against the ARCA competition on a restrictor plate track (where its mostly about luck), does not prove much of anything. Heck Michael Waltrip looks like a real race driver on restrictor plate tracks in NASCAR.

Nice day for her to gain experience and she didn't make too many mistakes (although, there were probably only about 35 laps of green flag racing in the entire event), but she realistically didn't do anything positively or negatively to gauge much of anything for her potential stock car career. She wasn't Milka-bad (who is?) but she wasn't even the best female in the race for 70 of the 80 laps.

Lets see how she "adapts" once the driver's tracks on her schedule appear later in the season. That will tell a lot.

TURN3
7th February 2010, 01:01
well, 6th out of 43 cars is impressive no matter how u cut it. Granted she probably had a top 3 car, but that's kind of irrelevant when you literally have not driven in a stock car race ever. I'm not confident she will be a top 10 or even top 15 driver in NWide this year, but this kind of start has to impress the naysayers.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it impressed anybody except for those people she benefits. I mean lets keep thing in perspective here...no need to explain all the pros and cons. In fairness to her, she was in a no win situation though. If she does well in this lower tier series then it is because she's in Hendrick equipment. If she does bad it is because of a learning curve. She gained valueable seat time so she did good...whe will be tested when she goes Nationwide and at a track where it isn't hold the throttle down. I can't wait to see her in Cali in a few weeks when the actual challenge starts.

TURN3
7th February 2010, 01:04
Had a nice save in the tri-oval after Piquet body slammed her into the grass.

Easy Trigger...did you see the in car of that "save". She did well as I've said but lets not get carried away here...she took her hands off the wheel and grabber her helmet! When the car didn't hit anything she drove off...hardly driver interaction there.

TURN3
7th February 2010, 01:07
Top 10 or 15 in Nationwide? How about realistically just staying on the lead lap in most races? Good drivers with tons of experience, have trouble finishing in the top 10 in Nationwide.

Sorry, but running the best funded car in the field (with a big time crew) against the ARCA competition on a restrictor plate track (where its mostly about luck), does not prove much of anything. Heck Michael Waltrip looks like a real race driver on restrictor plate tracks in NASCAR.

Nice day for her to gain experience and she didn't make too many mistakes (although, there were probably only about 35 laps of green flag racing in the entire event), but she realistically didn't do anything positively or negatively to gauge much of anything for her potential stock car career. She wasn't Milka-bad (who is?) but she wasn't even the best female in the race for 70 of the 80 laps.

Lets see how she "adapts" once the driver's tracks on her schedule appear later in the season. That will tell a lot.

Scotty G...I'm officially taking you off of my stupid poster list!! :D (Yes that is a compliment). Maybe I should get more into this NASCAR stuff...seems higher percentage of people see the proper shades of color here!!

Shifter
7th February 2010, 01:29
Indycar is not going to want to hear this, but from what I've seen, she's far better on ovals than on road/street circuits. I don't even think she really likes road courses, I was there at Mid-Ohio in August when she wanted to quit after Conway bumped her off into China Beach. Given the massive amount of non-ovals on the IndyCar series schedule, perhaps she'd eventually be better off in stock cars.

Now get off the hype machine and post some real observation from watching the race, Sheltra in the #60 is a freaking brave driver, ran a loose car for extra speed and put the car everywhere looking to move up. I was impressed.

call_me_andrew
7th February 2010, 03:16
Watching this ARCA thing...uh I mean the coverage of the world's most amazing driver. Absolute comedy..DW praising how unbelievable her recovery skill are...only to go in car and see she completely let go of the wheel and covered her face!! Spin that DW...she's not very good in any car, let alone this 5th rate series of weekend warriors.

Of course she let go of the steering wheel. OW drivers are trained to let go of the wheel during a crash because if an OW driver holds onto the wheel during a crash, the spokes can break thumbs.

muggle not
7th February 2010, 03:36
Great run by Danica. Pretty darn good debut.

slorydn1
7th February 2010, 03:39
I gotta give the girl credit....first, she saved a sure wreck, then stormed back up to the front at the end. Great job, Danica :up:

harvick#1
7th February 2010, 04:11
I'll wait to see what she does in the Nationwide when there are actually "name" drivers in the series and are in equal equipment.

just remember Montoya's first stock car was was at Talladega in ARCA and he finished 3rd I believe while leading laps.

but if Danica would've been in the Bud Shootout tonight, she'd be scared ;)

Alexamateo
7th February 2010, 04:55
How did Scott Speed do in his first ARCA start?

just for your info:

Scott Speed finished 7th in his first ARCA start @ Talladega. His first time at Daytona (2nd start) he started 2nd and finished 39th after crashing.

Scotty G.
7th February 2010, 08:02
1. I'll wait to see what she does in the Nationwide when there are actually "name" drivers in the series and are in equal equipment.

2. just remember Montoya's first stock car was was at Talladega in ARCA and he finished 3rd I believe while leading laps.

3. but if Danica would've been in the Bud Shootout tonight, she'd be scared ;)

1. Yep. The difference between ARCA and Nationwide, is about the same difference as Indy Car and Go Karts. Its also why, with some positive "buzz" for winning 6th place at Daytona, that she should back away now and get ready for Fontana. Her "brand" will only be hurt, by racing again next weekend.

2. Correct. Others without ANY stock car experience that started in ARCA that you could compare to DP are the following:

Michael McDowell (2006)- 5 starts and 3 top 6 finishes.
Ricky Stenhouse Jr (2008)- 23 starts, 11 top 5 finishes and 2 wins
Erin Crocker (2005)- 6 starts, 5 top 7 finishes
Kyle Krisiloff (2004)- 3 starts, 2 top 2 finishes, 1 win
Kraig Kinser (2005)- 2 starts, 1 win

A little perspective, huh? ;)

3. That is also correct. There were some real "drivers" in that race. Lots of VERY loose race cars and there were about 100 different wrecks that were avoided, because the drivers are really good and saved their cars. She is a long, long, long way from ever being with the crowd. Cup is tough. Just ask Sam. And Dario. And Christian Fittipaldi. And Scott Pruett. And Scott Speed. And AJ Allmendinger. And Robby Gordon. And most any other driver that has come from F1 or Indy Cars. And those drivers are all infinitely more talented then Patrick is (well, maybe Fittipaldi....). :p :

Lee Roy
7th February 2010, 14:10
Have to give Danica credit. She looked pretty good in that race.

Lee Roy
7th February 2010, 14:12
She looked good in NASCAR's equivelent of Class A minor league baseball.

It's still a step up from where she's been.

beachgirl
7th February 2010, 15:02
Of course she let go of the steering wheel. OW drivers are trained to let go of the wheel during a crash because if an OW driver holds onto the wheel during a crash, the spokes can break thumbs.

But she wasn't IN an OW car last night. I guess that was one of the questions The Sponge (DW comment) forgot to ask about. If she desires to do NASCAR, she must learn the ways of the driving and the recoveries. She is very fortunate that it turned out as it did. Of course, if it hadn't, it still wouldn't have been her fault, as nothing much ever is.

She did a good job last night with cubic dollars and excellent equipment, so please don't automatically label me a naysayer. She was also very lucky, which I've decided is Danica's real middle name. She just has an incredible amount to still learn before she can be considered a competitive force in either ARCA or Nationwide. This is just one of those things, which is extremely crucial for her and for those racing around her, and is so very fundamental.

I would have thought it was more important than whether or not she should turn her radio off during a red flag, but what do I know?

edv
7th February 2010, 16:25
Is it just me, or did it seem that the diameter of her steering wheel was about 50% more than normal? For more leverage? Or just an optical illusion due to her diminutive stature?

I thought she did OK for a first race. I was quite turned off by the incessant hype, though, particularly from DW.

wedge
7th February 2010, 16:28
Solid race

She did good :up:

beachgirl
7th February 2010, 17:06
Is it just me, or did it seem that the diameter of her steering wheel was about 50% more than normal? For more leverage? Or just an optical illusion due to her diminutive stature?

I thought she did OK for a first race. I was quite turned off by the incessant hype, though, particularly from DW.

I think it was just an optical illusion. The incessant hype, though, is typical Danica's-in-a-race. Been that way since 2005, regardless of how she does in any given race. DW's still not anywhere near as bad as Todd Harris was. Yet.

TURN3
7th February 2010, 17:36
Was just in an iRace practice session with Tony Jr. Very interesting insight for sure and great guy for being just a regular person having a good time with us. I've gained another notch of stock car respect because of his "respectful" yet candid conversations. He said it how it is, she did well last night by learning everything she did. Her finish was more a fact of having 35 laps fresher tires than the lead pack. It was unimportant where she finished so as long as she learned lessons. He talked about how she was afraid to cross in front of other cars because in Indycars you don't do that, etc. Bottom line is she accomplished her goals and that is the credit he gave her. He also said she has a long way to go. All the bs about how amazing her "save" was and her "storm" to 6th from back in the pack was meaningless...except to the media and fans hoping for anything to hang their hat onto for her. Sounds like she's going to do the Nationwide too.

She's proven throughout her career she isn't much of a talent. I'm sure many of us on this forum would be capable of going out to the local track with a top team and be competitive. When she starts playing around with a field full of professionals (instead of 1/8th full) then we can start judging her. Let us not forget some of the most talented drivers in the entire world (i.e. Montoya, Franchitti, etc.) have struggled and she isn't in their universe on a talent level. She'll fall flat on her face eventually.

Hoss Ghoul
7th February 2010, 18:09
NASCAR is far more competitive than any racing series in the world, bar maybe, Formula 1. Those I see posting about her solid run(particularly the NASCAR forum regulars) understand this but are still able to give her her due. I don't think anyone praising her race yesterday is under the impression she is ready to run at the Cup level, she is not.

But finishing 5th in the points and improving her place in the standings yearly in a major professional national touring series(Indy Car) proves she has some talent. People who won't admit that and insist it is all hype are as clueless as those who insist she is the second coming.

NickFalzone
7th February 2010, 18:27
NASCAR is far more competitive than any racing series in the world, bar maybe, Formula 1. Those I see posting about her solid run(particularly the NASCAR forum regulars) understand this but are still able to give her her due. I don't think anyone praising her race yesterday is under the impression she is ready to run at the Cup level, she is not.

But finishing 5th in the points and improving her place in the standings yearly in a major professional national touring series(Indy Car) proves she has some talent. People who won't admit that and insist it is all hype are as clueless as those who insist she is the second coming.

I agree. I see a lot of the usual naysayers offering up excuses for why she did better than expected. And they are not totally wrong. But the fact of that matter is that she DID do better than most expected, and the reasons they're suggesting do not add up to much when you look at the big picture of yesterday's race. Granted, she may not be particularly successful in the long haul as a NASCAR driver. But I do see SOME potential there, and that potential may very well be enough for her to grind out a midpack career with a highlight win or two. I hope those that are her huge fans do not expect more, and that her haters are not dismayed when she turns out to not be terrible, but simply average.

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2010, 03:50
She's daring,cunning and cute. I'll wish her well and offer my support.If thats not enough I'd like to offer her my number.

Ummm you did know she is married?? lol

Mark in Oshawa
8th February 2010, 03:56

I wont disagree.I have tried to balance my dislike of the hype and her personlity with the fact in the last year or so she is getting a lot more consistent. I will say this tho. A Stock Car Career isn't to be judged by what she did in ARCA. She did well, but Ali Owens ended up 23rd, but I know Ali Owens over a season is a lot further ahead of Danica.......because she has grown up in stock cars and isn't afraid of the bump and grind and THAT will be Danica's biggest challenge....

wedge
8th February 2010, 23:42
Was just in an iRace practice session with Tony Jr. Very interesting insight for sure and great guy for being just a regular person having a good time with us. I've gained another notch of stock car respect because of his "respectful" yet candid conversations. He said it how it is, she did well last night by learning everything she did. Her finish was more a fact of having 35 laps fresher tires than the lead pack. It was unimportant where she finished so as long as she learned lessons. He talked about how she was afraid to cross in front of other cars because in Indycars you don't do that, etc. Bottom line is she accomplished her goals and that is the credit he gave her. He also said she has a long way to go. All the bs about how amazing her "save" was and her "storm" to 6th from back in the pack was meaningless...except to the media and fans hoping for anything to hang their hat onto for her. Sounds like she's going to do the Nationwide too.

She's proven throughout her career she isn't much of a talent. I'm sure many of us on this forum would be capable of going out to the local track with a top team and be competitive. When she starts playing around with a field full of professionals (instead of 1/8th full) then we can start judging her. Let us not forget some of the most talented drivers in the entire world (i.e. Montoya, Franchitti, etc.) have struggled and she isn't in their universe on a talent level. She'll fall flat on her face eventually.

At least she didn't make an idiot of herself with a silly rookie error ....yet.

On her practice laps DW cringed at the thought of her not getting used to the steering/corner entry/driving style.

harvick#1
9th February 2010, 00:28
On her practice laps DW cringed at the thought of her not getting used to the steering/corner entry/driving style.

yes because Daytona is so hard to drive on :rolleyes: :D

Mark in Oshawa
9th February 2010, 02:20
At least she didn't make an idiot of herself with a silly rookie error ....yet.

DW couldn't make up his mind whether to pull out the pompoms like the rest of the Speed team or not. Considering he doesn't do color for SPEED's ARCA coverage normally says to me Danica's presence got him an extra paycheck....

NickFalzone
9th February 2010, 03:10
DW couldn't make up his mind whether to pull out the pompoms like the rest of the Speed team or not. Considering he doesn't do color for SPEED's ARCA coverage normally says to me Danica's presence got him an extra paycheck....

Haha, you think? Yeah I've never heard DW commentate an Arca race. Maybe it's happened, and granted I haven't watched many, but as soon as I heard his voice I knew that he was there because of the noise around Danica. I actually think he just likes being part of NASCAR history/news-making in that way, whether it was a big extra paycheck or not.