PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Tips and tricks to fly in spectating Portugal

WRXedUSA
2nd February 2010, 14:52
Since we 'mericans now have something to cheer for on the stages, I figure I owe it to them and should make the effort to come out and see them rally.

Ive been to 10 or so WRC events in different countries (Germany, Finland, Sweden), so I know how the events work, but I need your tips on planning a trip!

I'm thinking of spending 10 days, bookending the rally with days on the beach at a resort, Likely fly in to Lisbon. Which town is best to stay in for rally access? Lagos? Faro? Something else? Special favorite place to stay? Certain stage groupings to see?

Pick up hired car in Lisbon, or Faro? Take the train from Lisbon to Faro?

Rally fans, your input is appreciated!

Tomi
2nd February 2010, 15:15
Since we 'mericans now have something to cheer for on the stages, I figure I owe it to them and should make the effort to come out and see them rally.

Ive been to 10 or so WRC events in different countries (Germany, Finland, Sweden), so I know how the events work, but I need your tips on planning a trip!

I'm thinking of spending 10 days, bookending the rally with days on the beach at a resort, Likely fly in to Lisbon. Which town is best to stay in for rally access? Lagos? Faro? Something else? Special favorite place to stay? Certain stage groupings to see?

Its not too difficult to plan, especially when you have a lot of time, check out where the stages are, choose a Hotel that is near, and because you have plenty of time it would be clever to drive truh the stages a few days earlier, to find good spots to spectate, and go early enough to the stages, and dont make too tight program for you self.
And use map instead of navigator, check also the map carefully to find possible shortcuts to the next stages.

J4MIE
2nd February 2010, 15:22
I am looking at going as well to this one though I cannot get any extra time off work so would be leaving Edinburgh after 6pm on the Friday! Have tried to hunt for reasonably priced flights but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable :(

Audimadgeoff
2nd February 2010, 16:59
I am looking at going as well to this one though I cannot get any extra time off work so would be leaving Edinburgh after 6pm on the Friday! Have tried to hunt for reasonably priced flights but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable :(

Portugal is on my whistle stop tour of the WRC this year Jamie if you fancy tagging along? :D (and can stomach my driving again? ;) )

RICARDO75
2nd February 2010, 22:52

Flights from London to Oporto or Lisbon, are not expensive. Search on low cost companys.

RICARDO75
2nd February 2010, 23:04

The trip by car with GPS from Lisbon to Algarve, it takes between 2 to 2:30. Faro is nothing special, look for information about Vilamoura to stay there. The stages are not far from there.

katxal
2nd February 2010, 23:14
Book hotel in Vilamoura "Pe do lago" - Hotel...really cheap :)

J4MIE
3rd February 2010, 00:17
Flights from London to Oporto or Lisbon, are not expensive. Search on low cost companys.

Yes but the connection times for me from here are no good... Depending on what Geoff's plans are I may well get there :s Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

WRXedUSA
3rd February 2010, 01:06
Book hotel in Vilamoura "Pe do lago" - Hotel...really cheap :)

Thanks katxal & Ricardo.

I'll look into that place, and Portimao-Lagos.

The estimation of driving time helps, because a flight from the US to Seville or Lisbon->Faro makes things quite expensive, while car rental is dirt cheap!

Mintexmemory
3rd February 2010, 10:00
Hi WRXedUSA in case you haven't realised the stage maps for all the event are up on www.rallydeportugal.pt (http://www.rallydeportugal.pt) that should help with your planning.
The Super special is pay to enter otherwise service and all the stages are freeview. Vilamoura tends to be full of Brit golfers so be prepared! If you can recce then pick an early schedule stage with different view points that you could walk between in the break between 1st and 2nd running. Trying to drive between stages can be done but you will be parking a long way from the stage if you turn up after 11 am. If you watch the first stage on any day you can get away in time to make it to service when the field arrives and drivers are talking to the mechs

WRXedUSA
3rd February 2010, 15:45
Thanks Mintex.

That's typically how we do it. 2-3 (3 being maximum) stages a day. A early morning stage, then a stage around noon, (or, camp on that stage on the 2nd passing) then a 3rd or SSS if time allows. We're on holiday right!?! No point in stressing it!

I might just stay im Vilamoura for the rally, then detour over to Lagos for some beach time. Heck, I may just bring my golfing sticks!

;)

StevieWonder
3rd February 2010, 18:10
was there in 2009

also think of road charges on the motorway from lisbon to faro - approx. EUR 35,- one way.

we stayed in Vilamoura - it´s a tourist center at the beach, but very nice. also very nice: very low beer prices in shops and also in pubs !!!

best regards and have a nice stay
steviewonder

RICARDO75
3rd February 2010, 19:58
Thanks Mintex.

That's typically how we do it. 2-3 (3 being maximum) stages a day. A early morning stage, then a stage around noon, (or, camp on that stage on the 2nd passing) then a 3rd or SSS if time allows. We're on holiday right!?! No point in stressing it!

I might just stay im Vilamoura for the rally, then detour over to Lagos for some beach time. Heck, I may just bring my golfing sticks!

;)

Portimão is also very good. To stay in Vilamoura, could be more expensive.

Mintexmemory
4th February 2010, 08:54
Thanks Mintex.

;)

Have a great time, I'm doing Ypres (IRC), Deutschland, Catalunya and Wales this year. Remember, when talking to UK golfers it's always 'bats' - never 'sticks' :) ;)