PDA

View Full Version : Ticket prices still high though

MDS
1st February 2010, 16:51
Like a lot of NASCAR fans I've given up a good bit of interest because of the COT and other reasons, but this year My dad wanted to go back to Daytona and see the Twin 125s, now Gatorade Duels, like we used to when I was a kid. So I looked into it and ticket prices are $49, which given the quality of the racing seems a bit expensive to me.

You'd think given the state of the economy they'd bring the prices down to help out their working-class fanbase that has been hit hard by this recession, but clearly that's not their intention. Since I live in Atlanta now I looked into tickets at Talladega, and you can get two-day tickets for $49, and there you get to see an actual race. Yes the seats are on the back stretch, but its not that bad. Tickets for the March Atlanta race cost only $39, so it seems a bit mad to me to pay $50 for a race where most of the drivers are locked into the field anyway.

Anyone else feel that NASCAR doesn't get it at this point?

Lee Roy
1st February 2010, 17:10
. . . . . their working-class fanbase . . . .

Speaking for yourself?

MDS
1st February 2010, 18:26
Speaking for yourself?

NASCAR's image has always been that of the "Working man," but I suppose that's a bad word choice. Anyways NASCAR's fan base has predominately been middle class, and we all know the beating the middle class has taken.

My Father is a pastor, so when we were kids money wasn't easy to come by, and so going to the 125s, was our way of going to the Daytona 500 because he couldn't afford five tickets to the 500, not could he afford to take Sundays off, but 125s cost about $25 back in the day and so he could afford to take me and my brothers. So yeah, I think its a little offensive to charge more for a qualifying race at Daytona than for a 500 mile race at Atlanta.

Lee Roy
1st February 2010, 19:06
NASCAR's image has always been that of the "Working man," but I suppose that's a bad word choice. Anyways NASCAR's fan base has predominately been middle class, and we all know the beating the middle class has taken.

I know all that nonsense about NASCAR fans being somehow a lower form of life is fully accepted on the Indy Car forums where you spend nearly all of your time, but you may find that some here find it a bit snobby (as well as bull-spit).

Especially given the fact that nearly all of the Indy Car fan base are currently living in their mother's basements. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
1st February 2010, 21:39
I know all that nonsense about NASCAR fans being somehow a lower form of life is fully accepted on the Indy Car forums where you spend nearly all of your time, but you may find that some here find it a bit snobby (as well as bull-spit).

Especially given the fact that nearly all of the Indy Car fan base are currently living in their mother's basements. ;)

I do NOT live in my mom's basement (lol) and taking shots at MDS for being an Indy Car fan is obscuring the obvious rebuttal. 50 bucks for an afternoon's racing at Daytona is a reasonable price. People think nothing of paying that much or more to go to an NFL game, and a lot of seats in many Ball parks cost 50 for a baseball game, which is the sporting world's solution to insomnia at times.

MDS, try going to Yankee Stadium for less than 50 bucks a seat? Heck, try going to watch an NHL game in some cities for 50 bucks a seat if you don't want to sit in the rafters. Ditto the NBA.

50 bucks for the Duels is fine.....for while we all know most of the guys who will get it in, it doesn't stop them from trying to win it... and THAT is the entertainment value...

call_me_andrew
2nd February 2010, 02:54
$50 doesn't sound that bad for a race. Good seats at Pocono ten years ago cost $80 (and that price hasn't gone up much).

I've seen (lower level) baseball tickets that cost $40 at the start of the season jump to $70 at the end of the regular season.

MDS
2nd February 2010, 03:14
MDS, try going to Yankee Stadium for less than 50 bucks a seat? Heck, try going to watch an NHL game in some cities for 50 bucks a seat if you don't want to sit in the rafters. Ditto the NBA.

I don't go to New York City unless I have to, and I have season tickets for the Thrashers in the lower bowl that average about $42 per seat. I'm just saying the Duels are a crap race, and $50 a ticket is a bit excessive for an event that's happening in the middle of a work day in front of an empty grand stand.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd February 2010, 07:17
I don't go to New York City unless I have to, and I have season tickets for the Thrashers in the lower bowl that average about $42 per seat. I'm just saying the Duels are a crap race, and $50 a ticket is a bit excessive for an event that's happening in the middle of a work day in front of an empty grand stand.

I bet they have more at Daytona for the duels than 40000 thousand. The duels are not a crap race at all. They are two races and I usually find them pretty interesting. Like Bubble day at Indy used to be, the game is who gets in..and who gets sent home, and at the front, we see who has their gear together. TV broadcasts them live to better ratings than the IRL will likely see all season save the 500 so if you feel this is a crappy product, then DON'T GO.

AS for your assertion this is a sport about the middle class and not the working man, I guess Someone who drives truck for a living, or works in a factory is lower class? White collar workers are the only ones that can afford to go? Listen, at 50 bucks a ticket, the LEAST expensive part of my trip to Daytona if I didn't live there would be the ticket. So for ISC to make the ticket 30 bucks wouldn't make one IOTA of difference. You really don't get it do you? IF ISC wasn't making money on this day of racing, they would either alter it or cancel it. The stands only look empty to you because you can't get it into your head that there are 150000 seats at that place. If you made the tickets 10 bucks a head I doubt you would see that many people in there.

Oh ya...as for your Thrashers, at 42 bucks a game, that is more a reflection of the poor status of the NHL in Atlanta. I cant sit in the top row of the Air Canada Center for that price for a Leaf's game. I suggest you realize what a great bargain you have in the NHL in Atlanta, because at the rate things are going, they will be the Winnipeg Thrashers some day...THAT like the Duels is a pretty good price for 3 hours of fun...

call_me_andrew
3rd February 2010, 06:33
Must be nice to be the only hockey fan in a city with an NHL team.

http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/upload/2008/04/newseating.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/upload/2009/07/0910-ST-PRICING-08FLY875_PRF3.jpg

Supply & Demand is a harsh mistress.

dunes
6th February 2010, 22:00
Must be nice to be the only hockey fan in a city with an NHL team.

http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/upload/2008/04/newseating.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/flyers/images/upload/2009/07/0910-ST-PRICING-08FLY875_PRF3.jpg

Supply & Demand is a harsh mistress.

No thanks I'll keep my WING;s tickets and enjoy the reprise of when we meet again.I'm sorry if this is the philly spectrum and not the iglooLOL. but all the same 1 person season tickets for mediocer tickets at Joe Louis is only $295.00; and yes I belong to the lower than middle class still employed average.I also belong to the two worst repression hit areas in the continental U.S..Mich and Fla..

call_me_andrew
7th February 2010, 03:01
No thanks I'll keep my WING;s tickets and enjoy the reprise of when we meet again.I'm sorry if this is the philly spectrum and not the iglooLOL. but all the same 1 person season tickets for mediocer tickets at Joe Louis is only $295.00; and yes I belong to the lower than middle class still employed average.I also belong to the two worst repression hit areas in the continental U.S..Mich and Fla..

Where exactly are these $295 seats?

http://cdn.nhl.com/redwings/images/upload/2009/08/PriceChart.jpg

http://cdn.nhl.com/redwings/images/upload/2009/08/Chart1.jpg

dunes
7th February 2010, 03:10

My bad I mis quoted the price. Typagrafical error.2,950.00 a year Detroit river side upper level.Thanks for cathing that.