PDA

View Full Version : Motorsport Trivia

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Bob Riebe
25th July 2011, 04:51
Of the World Champions of the 1960s, name the ones with Can-Am wins (1 or more) to their credit.
Hulme
Stewart
Surtees

D28
25th July 2011, 15:00
Hulme
Stewart
Surtees

All correct, but not a complete list.

52Paddy
25th July 2011, 21:47
Surely Phil Hill then, being American?

D28
25th July 2011, 22:08
Surely Phil Hill then, being American?

Correct. The list of winners is the same as the list of single WC winners in the decade:
Phil Hill, John Surtees, Dennis Hulme, Jackie Stewart.

The double WCs in the decade entered only a handful of Can-Am races, though typically Jack Brabham did finish 3rd in the 1969 Texas Can Am, in an A. Mann entered Ford.

52Paddy
26th July 2011, 11:48
Not strictly related to F1 but: What colour(s) were associated with the DHL brand before they teamed up with Jordon in 2002?

D-Type
26th July 2011, 13:14
Not strictly related to F1 but: What colour(s) were associated with the DHL brand before they teamed up with Jordon in 2002?
There's no restriction to F1 on this thread - only that questions are motor sport related.

steveaki13
26th July 2011, 22:46
Shows what I know. I always though it was yellow and red the same as now. I wait for the answer.

52Paddy
30th July 2011, 14:49
It used to be white and red before the Jordan connection. New Q: Which design chief came up with the FTT system? What year was it? For what team's car? And what does the system actually do?

Mintexmemory
3rd August 2011, 09:53
It used to be white and red before the Jordan connection. New Q: Which design chief came up with the FTT system? What year was it? For what team's car? And what does the system actually do?

Pat Symonds, 1999 (tested in 98), Benetton, acts as a lsd to stop the inside wheel locking under braking thereby allowing a car to go deeper into the apex of a bend with predictable steering. BAR refined the idea in 2004 by making the system elecdraulic, thus saving weight.

52Paddy
3rd August 2011, 19:51
Pat Symonds, 1999 (tested in 98), Benetton, acts as a lsd to stop the inside wheel locking under braking thereby allowing a car to go deeper into the apex of a bend with predictable steering. BAR refined the idea in 2004 by making the system elecdraulic, thus saving weight.

1998/9 is correct. Benetton is correct. Pat Symonds is incorrect however for Nick Wirth was behind the idea. You're description of the system is partially true, at least by my records. The ultimate effect is that it prevents lockups, yes, but it is done in a different (though related) manner. FTT stands for Front Torque Transfer and, rather than evenly producing drive to both wheels under acceleration (like a LSD), it distributes the load between the front brakes. Question from you perhaps? :)

Mintexmemory
5th August 2011, 17:19
Which aspect of Rindt and Andretti's Championship wins for Lotus distinguish them from both Clark and Hill's wins

D-Type
6th August 2011, 00:04
Rindt and Andretti won single championships while Clark and hill won two apiece

52Paddy
6th August 2011, 17:30
Which aspect of Rindt and Andretti's Championship wins for Lotus distinguish them from both Clark and Hill's wins

Rindt's and Andretti's cars had wings. Clark's and Hill's didn't.

52Paddy
6th August 2011, 17:31
'aspect of...championship wins' -> I guess that implies that it is not actually related to the cars they drove then.

Mintexmemory
7th August 2011, 23:47
Very hard to ask the question without giving the answer away but it's about the nature of their championship campaigns - so it isn't the number of championships won. i.e.Something happened in both Rindt and Andretti's seasons that didnt in Clark or Hill's. Hill had wings in 68 so it wasn't that, but it is car-related.

D-Type
8th August 2011, 12:00
Did Rindt and Andretti use two models of Lotus while Clark (either time) and Hill used a single model?

Mintexmemory
8th August 2011, 12:57
Did Rindt and Andretti use two models of Lotus while Clark (either time) and Hill used a single model?

Yes, not just use, but score GP wins in two different models during the season
49/72 Rindt
78/79 Andretti

I discount evolutions as I believe Hill used a 49 and 49b in 68
Over to you D-Type

D-Type
8th August 2011, 14:19
Oh 'eck! Now I've got to come up with a suitably devious question.

D-Type
8th August 2011, 23:02
The silversmith who made the trophy presented annually to the best race promoters is better known for something else.

Who is he?
What did he do?

Mintexmemory
9th August 2011, 12:51
Roy James - British Formula Junior winning competitor and Great Train Robber

D-Type
9th August 2011, 13:54
That's the one. :up:

Your question

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 00:08
Which Williams driver urged the team to implement team orders for the following season, stating that a growing rivalry with his team-mate could cost them a chance of winning the drivers' title? Also, what year was it said?

I realise that this may have happened on more than one occasion but, hopefully not :D

D28
6th September 2011, 02:51
My guess is Nelson Piquet, making the remark in 1986, that is referring to the 87 season.

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 11:09
When I posted the question, I expected Piquet would crop up as an answer. It's not unlikely that Piquet said something of the sort but that's not who I'm referring to anyway.

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 11:43
Which Williams driver urged the team to implement team orders for the following season, stating that a growing rivalry with his team-mate could cost them a chance of winning the drivers' title? Also, what year was it said?

I realise that this may have happened on more than one occasion but, hopefully not :D

Something about Rosberg and Mansell jogs the back of my memory here but may be wrong.

Otherwise it could be Mansell talking about Patrese in 1991?

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 11:49
No. Not to do with Mansell, Rosberg or Patrese.

Bruce D
6th September 2011, 12:24
Paddy, 2 drivers spring to my mind, either Alan Jones in 1980 (against Carlos Reutemann - I know there was a contract in place which said that Reutemann had to finish behind Jones, thus the infamous Jones-Reu pitboard in Brazil '81), or Damon Hill in 1994 (against DC, it seems according to DC's autobiography that they didn't really ever get on with each other).

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 12:33
Paddy, 2 drivers spring to my mind, either Alan Jones in 1980 (against Carlos Reutemann - I know there was a contract in place which said that Reutemann had to finish behind Jones, thus the infamous Jones-Reu pitboard in Brazil '81), or Damon Hill in 1994 (against DC, it seems according to DC's autobiography that they didn't really ever get on with each other).

Yeah I was thinking of Alan Jones and Carols Reutemann alright but since it was in Carlos contract to finish behind Jones, despite the Brazil 81 incident, I figured that there would be no need for Jones to urge Williams to implement team orders that were already in place. It's just that Carlos decided to ignore them.

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 12:59
Neither Reutemann, Jones, Hill or DC. I'll give you a clue: Hill, Spa 1998.

Bruce D
6th September 2011, 14:18
But that doesn't make sense cos neither Williams driver was in the championship running in '98, Villeneuve easily had the measure of Frentzen, so there was no need. Hill was at Jordan, where he may have asked that Ralf or Frentzen in '99 wouldn't be a threat to him in the championship, but I find it hard to believe Hill suddenly thought he was in a title-winning car for '99. So was your question "Former-Williams driver" or "current-at-the-time-Williams driver"?

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 14:46
No Bruce, you're taking my clue up wrong. It's a very abstract clue :p :

SGWilko
6th September 2011, 14:48
But that doesn't make sense cos neither Williams driver was in the championship running in '98, Villeneuve easily had the measure of Frentzen, so there was no need. Hill was at Jordan, where he may have asked that Ralf or Frentzen in '99 wouldn't be a threat to him in the championship, but I find it hard to believe Hill suddenly thought he was in a title-winning car for '99. So was your question "Former-Williams driver" or "current-at-the-time-Williams driver"?

Hill suggesting to EJ over the radio to hold station and not risk nil points?

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 14:55
It wasn't Thierri Boutsen and Patrese in 89 was it? They were both pretty close to each other that year. I'm assuming since he came third in the championship that year that it would have been Patrese that made the request. Williams also scored their first ever one-two in Canada that year.

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 14:58
No! I feel terrible rejecting all of the answers since they all seem likely situations. Another clue - it was post 1999.

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 15:21
Didn’t Ralf Schumacher and Montoya win two races a piece in 2003? Saying that Montoya finished 3rd that season and I felt out performed Ralf.

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 15:26
Didn’t Ralf Schumacher and Montoya win two races a piece in 2003? Saying that Montoya finished 3rd that season and I felt out performed Ralf.

You're getting warm now ;)

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 15:33
You're getting warm now ;)

So since with a few races to go that year and Ralf after being sidelined by his crash at Indianapolis that Montoya made the request of the team? Or else Ralf did for the next year?

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 15:45
So since with a few races to go that year and Ralf after being sidelined by his crash at Indianapolis that Montoya made the request of the team? Or else Ralf did for the next year?

You've the right drivers in question but the wrong year.

The Black Knight
6th September 2011, 15:52
You've the right drivers in question but the wrong year.
Must be 2002 so then. That was their closest year points wise?

D28
6th September 2011, 16:06
I think Ralf made the request (to be no 1) in late 2001 for the upcoming year.

52Paddy
6th September 2011, 16:51
I think Ralf made the request (to be no 1) in late 2001 for the upcoming year.

That's it. It was the main article in the October 2001 issue of Autosport. On reading it, it was clear to see that Ralf was anxious about being beaten by a rookie and wanted to lay down the law early on.

D28
7th September 2011, 02:24
Who was the first driver to lap the Nurburgring's Nordschleife, in under 9 minutes, car and year?

The Black Knight
7th September 2011, 08:58
That's it. It was the main article in the October 2001 issue of Autosport. On reading it, it was clear to see that Ralf was anxious about being beaten by a rookie and wanted to lay down the law early on.

Ah yes, I do remember hime requesting that now. I'm pretty sure I read it in autosport magazine at the time. I do remember hearing it though. And I also remember Patrick Head not being too impressed either.

52Paddy
7th September 2011, 19:14
Who was the first driver to lap the Nurburgring's Nordschleife, in under 9 minutes, car and year?

1961, Phil Hill in the Ferrari 250?

52Paddy
7th September 2011, 19:15
And I also remember Patrick Head not being too impressed either.

And rightly so!

D28
7th September 2011, 19:43
1961, Phil Hill in the Ferrari 250?

Phill Hill broke the record in practice for the 61 German Grand Prix in the Ferrari 156

I remember the occasion, the time was 8:55.2. Today production cars such as the Cadillac CTS-V (7:59) and the Corvette C8ZR1 (7:19.6) lap much quicker, not to mention super cars. The circuit may be slightly improved since 1961, but still progress in lap times is stunning.

52Paddy
7th September 2011, 22:12
Phill Hill broke the record in practice for the 61 German Grand Prix in the Ferrari 156

I remember the occasion, the time was 8:55.2. Today production cars such as the Cadillac CTS-V (7:59) and the Corvette C8ZR1 (7:19.6) lap much quicker, not to mention super cars. The circuit may be slightly improved since 1961, but still progress in lap times is stunning.

I know that he was certainly the first to set a qualifying time under 9 mins due to my reference to an old encyclopaedia at home. Wasn't sure of the Ferrari model of hand. 156 was probably it alright.

Next Q: What, quite impressive, feat did Gabriele Tarquini achieve at the 1992 Brazilian GP?

steveaki13
8th September 2011, 07:38
I know that he was certainly the first to set a qualifying time under 9 mins due to my reference to an old encyclopaedia at home. Wasn't sure of the Ferrari model of hand. 156 was probably it alright.

Next Q: What, quite impressive, feat did Gabriele Tarquini achieve at the 1992 Brazilian GP?

Actually managed to get his Fondmetal around the circuit once. Thats quite impressive.

52Paddy
8th September 2011, 09:56
Actually managed to get his Fondmetal around the circuit once. Thats quite impressive.

Yes, but there's something even more impressive :D

steveaki13
8th September 2011, 15:30
Ummm.

Definatley not Pole, win or podium.

I don't think I recall points.

So where does that leave me?

steveaki13
8th September 2011, 15:31
Fastest Lap?

52Paddy
9th September 2011, 08:29
Fastest Lap?

Getting warm now.

AndyL
9th September 2011, 10:58
Getting warm now.

Led the race?

steveaki13
9th September 2011, 18:22
Getting warm now.

OK

Led the race?

I have the race on DVD and don't think in the times I watched it, a Fondmetal led a race.

I am warm with Fastest lap, and looking back you would have said impressive feat if it was FL so as you said pretty impressive, it must be one of the fastest laps so 2nd or 3rd fastest lap

52Paddy
9th September 2011, 21:09
it must be one of the fastest laps so 2nd or 3rd fastest lap

We have a winner! He set the third fastest lap of the race. Fair play to him for punching above his weight.

steveaki13
9th September 2011, 21:14
We have a winner! He set the third fastest lap of the race. Fair play to him for punching above his weight.

That was a great effort then, I will have to dig out the race and see if I can spot him racing well.

My turn then, I am not big into technical issues and don't have a massive knowledge of all series of motorsport as I tend to watch races rather than follow whole championships, so my question might be very simple for some.

steveaki13
9th September 2011, 21:21
So

What historic honour (He may not see it as an honour) did Erik Comas achieve at some point in 1994?

I didn't want to give exact race for now as it may give it away, but if people want the race in happened let me know.

52Paddy
11th September 2011, 04:31
Could it be the lowest classified finish in the driver's championship? i.e. 23rd with 2 points.

steveaki13
11th September 2011, 08:23
Could it be the lowest classified finish in the driver's championship? i.e. 23rd with 2 points.

No. Something happened in a specific race in 94.

speedhog
11th September 2011, 09:30
1994 San Marino Grand Prix, he was waved out of the pits and drove onto the circuit, during the red flag which followed the fatal crash of Ayrton Senna.

steveaki13
11th September 2011, 10:00
1994 San Marino Grand Prix, he was waved out of the pits and drove onto the circuit, during the red flag which followed the fatal crash of Ayrton Senna.

Forgot about that, but no. The incident/historic moment was not that one.

D28
13th September 2011, 16:35
So

What historic honour (He may not see it as an honour) did Erik Comas achieve at some point in 1994?

Could be the point he got at the German GP was the last ever for Larrousse F1 team.

steveaki13
13th September 2011, 20:56
Could be the point he got at the German GP was the last ever for Larrousse F1 team.

Nope.

It was the first time a driver did a certain thing and action was taken.

D28
14th September 2011, 01:50
OK, Comas became the first driver ever to be penalized for speeding in the pit lane, Canadian GP 1994.

steveaki13
14th September 2011, 07:25
OK, Comas became the first driver ever to be penalized for speeding in the pit lane, Canadian GP 1994.

Yep Well Done

52Paddy
14th September 2011, 08:03
Interesting. I would have thought someone was caught speeding in the pit-lane a long time before that!

steveaki13
14th September 2011, 18:08
Interesting. I would have thought someone was caught speeding in the pit-lane a long time before that!

I think it was only in 1994 that a pitlane speed limit came in, along with a raft of other safety measures after Senna and Ratzenbergers deaths.

That weekend (Imola), there was a bad accident in the pit lane when a wheel flew off, if I remember.

All in all a terrible weekend.

Mintexmemory
15th September 2011, 15:24
On a lighter note, this coming w/e the Goodwood Revival is celebrating 100 years since Fangio's birth. So what Driver's World Championship record does the great man still hold outright (it's not about percentages so put the lapcharts and calculators away!).
Michael S doesn't look like ever getting near it though Alonso, Vettel, Button and Hamilton still could

AndyL
15th September 2011, 16:17
Oldest world champion?

D-Type
15th September 2011, 16:57
Champion in the most different makes of car?

D28
20th September 2011, 16:28
Champion in the most different makes of car?

That would appear to be the likely answer, what about it Mintexmemory?
D-Type, is it time for another question?

D-Type
20th September 2011, 20:34
Let's give Mintexmemory a couple more days to reply. Otherwise when more than one question is on the go it can get very confusing and hard to follow.

Mintexmemory
21st September 2011, 00:02
Sorry guys for my tardiness, D-Type is absolutely correct 4 different marques in 5 wins. Schue , Prost, Stewart and Lauda all have 2. If like me you can't see MS being WC again then the current crop had better start musical chairing to get near that. Whatever it was he just got in and drove! Great to see the W196, Lancia Ferrari and Maserati 250F at Goodwood.
Over to you D-Type

D-Type
21st September 2011, 13:30
I can't think of a decent question so here's one for those who went to Goodwood:

What is the relevance of the following outfits to Goodwood's history:
(1) Indiana Jones?
(2) Roman toga?
(3) Miniskirt PLUS spiked "German World War 1" helmet?
(4) William and Kate?
(5) RAF squadron leader?
(6) Lederhosen?

Creative answers please.

Mintexmemory
21st September 2011, 15:15
1) Indiana Jones is homage to Charlie March (then Settrington) being George Lucas' stills photographer before inheriting, still too early to be in period
2) Sussex has a number of well preserved Roman remains or it could be any of the 50s period sword and sandal film extras who rushed from Pinewood to watch the events at Godwood
3) I was Kaiser Bill's Batman, popular ditty in the Swinging London / Carnaby St scene
4) Living anachronisms? (got me beat on that one, just shows that many people are increasingly missing the point re. in-period dress)
5) Discussed on other fora, Goodwood was RAF Westhampnett and as such many still-mobilised military types attended the early meetings
6) Just the thing those jolly Bavarian mechanics would wear in the evening after fettling their Porsche and Merc charges. Went down a storm in nearby Portsmouth I understand! ;-)

D-Type
22nd September 2011, 21:12
Well, that idea fell rather flat. After seeing how some people at Goodwood had missed the point and were wearing any old fancy dress instead of period dress or uniform I thought it would be rather fun to take the mickey but no-one seemed interested.

Only #5 has a real answer, which Mintexmemory has given so it's his question.

Any suggestions for the others while we're waiting?

D-Type
30th September 2011, 21:51
To kick start this thread here's another question, from over 100 years ago:

Who was the last man to set a World land speed record in a car steered by a tiller?
The car?
What was unique about this record?

52Paddy
1st October 2011, 19:46
I'll admit that I don't even know what a tiller is. Will have read up on it though.

D28
2nd October 2011, 02:23
Could be:

Leon Serpollet in a a Gardner-Serpollet. The first steam powered record holder, ending electric cars reign.

D-Type
2nd October 2011, 17:34
Could be:

Leon Serpollet in a a Gardner-Serpollet. The first steam powered record holder, ending electric cars reign.
No, the answer I'm after was later.

D28
2nd October 2011, 17:45
How about Fred Marriott in the Staney steamer. This car was based on a canoe chassis and held the steam record for 80 years.

Don Capps
2nd October 2011, 19:36
How about Fred Marriott in the Staney [sic] steamer. This car was based on a canoe chassis and held the steam record for 80 years.

The Marriott "record" was an American one only, the European-centric AIACR not recognizing any of the American speed or distance records until well after the Great War because it refused to acknowledge the existence of the AAA as a sanctioning organization. Only after the AAA Contest Board representative replaced the ACA representative on the CSI in the late-Twenties did the AIACR recognize any records using AAA timing.

Rather than a tiller or a steering wheel, Marriott used a steering bar. The chassis and bodywork were made by the J.R. Robertson Canoe Factory of Auburndale, Mass. for the Stanley company.

D-Type
2nd October 2011, 22:55
How about Fred Marriott in the Staney steamer. This car was based on a canoe chassis and held the steam record for 80 years.
My mistake. I thought the Stanley had a steering wheel. The one I was thinking of was Henry Ford's 1904 record which was unique because it was set on a frozen lake.
your question.

Don,
Would you care to open a thread to enlighten us on what records were and were not recognised. The books I have differ in which were not recognised.
Certainly any one-way records set post-1911 were not recognised by the international body.

D28
3rd October 2011, 00:04
Just think, 127.66 MPH with a tiller or stearing bar, whatever, that is impressive, whether a record or not!

Who has a combined driver/entrant record of 4 Le Mans victories? (At least one of these is as entrant).

D28
9th October 2011, 17:36
The latest question has been up for a week now.
There is an American angle to the answer.

Who has a combined driver/entrant record of 4 Le Mans victories? (At least one of these is as entrant).

D-Type
9th October 2011, 18:06
How about Luigi Chinetti?
As a driver in 1932, 1934 and 1948. He was Italian in 1932 and 1934 but may have become an American by 1952
As an entrant, he was a leading light in the NART who entered the winning Ferrari in 1965

I'm sure there is also a more recent one? Henri Pescarolo? 1973 and 1984 as a driver plus later as an entrant?

D28
9th October 2011, 18:41
That is the man. Actually it was 1949 he won first time for Ferrari with Selsdon. He was an American by 1965 when his North American Racing Team won with American Masten Gregory and Jochen Rindt. So he has the first and last outright wins for Ferrari.

TO the best of my knowledge Pescarolo has yet to win as an entrant. He has 4 wins as a driver, so that would exclude him anyway, given the terms of the question.

D-Type
9th October 2011, 20:45
Thanks. Next question
Apart from the 1956-57 [Lancia] Ferraris, what car won a grand prix under one name with a chassis designed under another name?

D28
10th October 2011, 03:02
Thanks. Next question
Apart from the 1956-57 [Lancia] Ferraris, what car won a grand prix under one name with a chassis designed under another name?

John Surtees won the 1967 Italian GP for Honda, in a RA300 chassis that was largely a Lola design, called a Hondola by the press.

D-Type
10th October 2011, 10:38
That was quick!

Spot on. (I think the 'Hondola' might have been the RA301 but can't be sure without looking it up. Doesn't affect your answer)

Your question

D28
10th October 2011, 16:19
This one should be easy.

What is the most number of cylinders to power a race winning F1 car (World championship 1950-present)?
When did such an engine last win, details car, driver, race.

52Paddy
10th October 2011, 17:55
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that a 16 cylinder car won some time during the 50s. Could it be an Auto Union?

D28
10th October 2011, 18:56
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that a 16 cylinder car won some time during the 50s. Could it be an Auto Union?

Not the one, don't believe AU ran any F1 races after 1950.

Mintexmemory
10th October 2011, 19:58
Jim Clark Lotus 43 BRM H16 USGP Watkins Glen 1966.
IIRC (for further above) The RA300 was the Hondola the RA301 being the 1968 car and the RA 302 the V8 that killed poor Jo Schlesser.

D-Type
10th October 2011, 20:43
Jim Clark Lotus 43 BRM H16 USGP Watkins Glen 1966.
IIRC (for further above) The RA300 was the Hondola the RA301 being the 1968 car and the RA 302 the V8 that killed poor Jo Schlesser.
Now I've looked it up, I have to agree :mad:
(Memo to self: don't trust your memory!)

D28
10th October 2011, 21:23
Now I've looked it up, I have to agree :mad:
(Memo to self: don't trust your memory!)

Right, Andrew Frankel described the Hondola as RA300/1 adding there is no RA300/2 and never was.

The Lotus-BRM H16 is the one I was thinking of, Mintexmemory has it correct.

I was at Watkins Glen that day in 1966, Clark gave the engine its only win in championship rounds.
I do not remember the engine note being particularly dramatic. The other Team Lotus car for Arundel had a Climax 2 L engine.
One would expect a 3 litre H16 to sound distinctive, but it is not my recollection.
Anyone else have memories of the BRMs of 1966?

Mintexmemory
11th October 2011, 09:24
Right, Andrew Frankel described the Hondola as RA300/1 adding there is no RA300/2 and never was.

I was at Watkins Glen that day in 1966, Clark gave the engine its only win in championship rounds.
I do not remember the engine note being particularly dramatic. The other Team Lotus car for Arundel had a Climax 2 L engine.
One would expect a 3 litre H16 to sound distinctive, but it is not my recollection.

Last year they were demonstrating the BRM H16 at the Goodwood Revial and I agree that the 68 onwards V12 makes a far more impressive sound, but both pale in comparison to the 1.5l V16.
Anyway to correct my previous tardiness in supplying a question here goes
The 69 season saw the end of a 13 season unbroken run, what was it and what were the unique circumstances surrounding this end.

Bruce D
11th October 2011, 12:20
Hmm, at a fly I'd say it was the first time the drivers championship had been won by a driver in a team that hadn't actually designed the car. For 13 years, that makes it 1956, which is the year Fangio won in the Lancia-Ferrari, the Lancia D50 run by the Ferrari team and 1969 was Stewart's title in the Matra which was run by the Tyrrell team.

Ex-Jagboy
11th October 2011, 12:57

I have many memories of the BRMs and their drivers including being at the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting in Sept 1966, and witnessing the English racing debut of the H16 just a fortnight or so before Jim Clark gave the H16 it`s one and only GP win.

Clark`s car which had been so impressive on debut in the Italian GP a couple of weeks earlier was at Oulton, had looked very good during Friday practice but was not used for the Gold Cup race, Clark instead drove a Lotus 33 with a 2 litre Climax engine in the big race I saw Jim Clark on countless occasions including his debut races in 1960 when he joined Lotus to drive in the Formula Junior events, and over the years he developed a well known reputation for being very light on the car, a characteristic that may well have contributed to that H16 win.

Don Capps
11th October 2011, 13:37

The Honda "RA300/1" was built at Slough by Lola under the direction of Surtess and given the factory designation of "T130." There were two additional chassis (F801 & F802) built by Lola for Honda as the "RA301" and given the internal Lola designation of "T180."

The BRM P75 H-16 engine was probably a nice idea in theory, but simply ignored the realities of what would be necessary to be successful in motor racing at the time. Overweight, complicated, and requiring a heavy car to lug it around, that it actually began to gain a level of reliability by 1967 is a testament to the persistence of the folks at the Owen Racing Organisation. That ORO were actually considering producing a "lightweight" version of the H-16 before the CSI banned 16-cylinder engines beginning with the 1969 season has always struck me as proof that R.W. Emerson was on to something....

D28
11th October 2011, 16:20
!969 could be the first time in 13 seasons that a chassis other than Italian, or English, was the winning World Drivers's Championship car. Matra already had a good chassis; they decided to concentrate on sportscars, leaving Ken Tyrell, Ford and Jackie Steart to do the F1 racing.

Don Capps
11th October 2011, 16:52
The 69 season saw the end of a 13 season unbroken run, what was it and what were the unique circumstances surrounding this end.

Of the many and various things that might fall under this broad umbrella of a question, one could suggest the last appearance of the Type FPF engine produced by Coventry Climax in the finally came to an end during the 1969 GP/F1season at the Canadian GP -- the engine being installed in an Eagle Mark 1 (the original chassis '101') driven by Al Pease which also had its last appearance albeit it was not allowed to start the event due to being "too slow." All of which is truly trivial, of course.

D28
11th October 2011, 17:29
the engine being installed in an Eagle Mark 1 (the original chassis '101') driven by Al Pease which also had its last appearance albeit it was not allowed to start the event due to being "too slow." All of which is truly trivial, of course.

Actually Pease did start the race and was black flagged on lap 23 after 2 separate altercations. He was disqualified for insufficient speed. I remember him trundling around Mosport, quite a bit off the pace.

Mintexmemory
11th October 2011, 19:19
Mr Capps has it, the last Climax engine appearance in a Championship GP - appeared in every season from 57 onwards, although it first appeared in late 56 in a non-championship F1 race.
D28 has the exact nature of the uniqueness of the scenario, Al Pease being the only driver in a Championship GP to be black flagged for being too slow.
DC your call I believe.

Don Capps
11th October 2011, 20:44
Actually Pease did start the race and was black flagged on lap 23 after 2 separate altercations. He was disqualified for insufficient speed. I remember him trundling around Mosport, quite a bit off the pace.

I was going it off the top of my seemingly decaying memory for such things. I could not remember if Pease actually started or not, but I did recall reading that he was seriously off the pace during practice and in the opinion of more than a few such not have take a place on the grid. Different days. I did not attend the race due to putting in my time doing field work for my Robert S. McNamara/Clark Clifford Fellowship for Southeast Asia studies as well as taking part in the activities of my fraternity, Sigma Mekong Delta....

Once production of the FPF by Coventry Climax ceased, several years later another company with ties to motor racing stepped in to first rebuild and then in a few cases produce new engines for customers using the FPF in racing. This should be very easy....

D-Type
11th October 2011, 22:33
Crossthwaite and Gardiner ?

Don Capps
12th October 2011, 00:41
Crossthwaite and Gardiner ?

Nope.

Giveaway hint: Bonus for the derivation of the company's name.

Don Capps
12th October 2011, 12:04
Another hint: the reason for the company getting into the FPF rebuild/production business was a series that began in 1964.

D28
13th October 2011, 01:01
Bob King's Racing Preparations ?

Don Capps
13th October 2011, 01:10
Nope.

Another hint: this company also built engines that powered two world champions....

D28
13th October 2011, 01:39
By process of elimination it must be Repco?

Rollo
13th October 2011, 02:19
By process of elimination it must be Repco?

Repco is short for "Replacement Parts Company" and sells auto parts. According to their website they have more than 400 stores and the company started in 1922.
Repco Limited - Shop Internet site (http://www.repco.com.au)
http://202.45.102.66/images/stores/thumbs/repco_9.png

The F1 "Repco" V8 was really the small-block Olds V8 F85 engine. It would be sort of like Halfords or Carquest rebranding a Cosworth or something.

Don Capps
13th October 2011, 10:35
Finally....

Rollo
13th October 2011, 11:16
Something bothered me:

Once production of the FPF by Coventry Climax ceased, several years later

Production of the FPF ceased in 1966. The only reason I know this is that there was an Eagle T1G at the automotive museum in San Diego, and the casting date could be seen on the engine block.
Victor Peas? Pees? Pies? I don't know, might have had an FPF in the Canadian GPs as late as 1969... I don't know enough to be able to say much more.

D28
13th October 2011, 15:23
Something bothered me:
Production of the FPF ceased in 1966. The only reason I know this is that there was an Eagle T1G at the automotive museum in San Diego, and the casting date could be seen on the engine block.
Victor Peas? Pees? Pies? I don't know, might have had an FPF in the Canadian GPs as late as 1969... I don't know enough to be able to say much more.

Canadian businessmen purchased the Eagle-Climax 4 for Al Pease to drive in Canada in 1967. The car was already outdated, Pease qualified about 5 seconds off the pace.The following year the same car failed to take the start. In 1969 Pease qualified about 13 seconds back, and was blackflagged for being too slow (see above). The car would have had no development over the three years in Canada, except maybe a fresh engine in 69. This may be the car you saw in San Diego.

D28
13th October 2011, 17:12
Next question:

What car won twice in W. Championship F1 races, consecutive wins, then never won again?
Details please.

Ex-Jagboy
13th October 2011, 18:23
Next question:

What car won twice in W. Championship F1 races, consecutive wins, then never won again?
Details please.

Cooper-Maserati

D28
13th October 2011, 18:34
Cooper-Maserati

Exactly. John Surtees won at Mexico 1966 and Pedro Rodriguez won at SA 1967. After that it was all downhill for Cooper.
Rodriguez gave them their last WC victory.

Ex-Jagboy
13th October 2011, 18:48
Exactly. John Surtees won at Mexico 1966 and Pedro Rodriguez won at SA 1967. After that it was all downhill for Cooper.
Rodriguez gave them their last WC victory.

The facts were well known at the time, but what was additionally interesting was that John Surtees started the 1966 season with Ferrari, winning the Belgian GP Then suddenly departing the team, which caused quite a stir at the time, so Surtees won world championship events in 2 different cars in the same season.

D28
13th October 2011, 19:01
Yes he did, the last person to do so (another good trivial question, already answered).
Others have switched cars and came close, Stewart in 1970, also Peter Gethin who switched from McLaren to BRM in 1971 and won his only race, the Italian GP. I think John will hold onto this one, hard to see it happening today. Probably is illegal now.

Ex-Jagboy
13th October 2011, 19:08
Yes he did, the last person to do so (another good trivial question, already answered).
Others have switched cars and came close, Stewart in 1970, also Peter Gethin who switched from McLaren to BRM in 1971 and won his only race, the Italian GP. I think John will hold onto this one, hard to see it happening today. Probably is illegal now.

Don`t forget Stirling Moss won the opening event in 1958 at the Argentine GP in Rob Walkers cooper, then his remaining victories that year were with Vanwall.

D28
13th October 2011, 19:28
Yes, and also Fangio. I was referring to the period since John Surtee's feat.

D-Type
13th October 2011, 21:03
Something bothered me:

~
Was the car you saw Climax FPF or Weslake V12 powered? The T1G's used both engines at different times

Don Capps
14th October 2011, 01:09
There was NEVER EVER an Eagle "T1F" or "T1G" except in Len Terry's imagination -- these being designations given by Terry and not Gurney which Road & Track first used and which subsequently (much as the incorrect Auto-Union "letter" types) passed into lore. Dan Gurney never used that designation for his cars, he being rather vague on the point of names of the cars for some time; with the serials of "101" to "104" for the cars built for formula one racing, these were essentially the "Mark 1" cars with the first of the "Indy" type cars being the "Mark 2" Eagles.

The name Gurney used -- when he was asked on TNF -- was something along the lines of "All American Racers Gurney Eagle Formula 1" -- although that is probably not exactly it, it gives you the clear idea that it was certainly not "T1F" or "T1G" -- which he also clearly denied were the designations.

The production of the original FPF came to end about 1961, the few built being for sports car or Inter-Continental Formula racing while the FPF "Mark II" engines ceased the same year, the FWMV taking its place. Not surprised to see a "1966" date on a block, which would not necessarily mean an entirely new block -- unless it was one that Repco built, of course -- but that it may have been rebuilt that year.

D-Type
14th October 2011, 13:37
Don, isn't this really a trivial matter of semantics? These are simply convenient names so we know what we are talking about and have no real significance. If Len Terry who designed them thinks of them as "T1F", "T1G" etc that's good enough for me. Cooper type numbers are similar, then there's the Cortina "MkV", the Ford GT40 etc.

Surely it is analogous to saying that "There was never a First World War" a when people and historians in the 1920's gave a name to the 1914-18 (1916-18 for Americans and 1914-19 for Italians) conflict, they named it the "Great War" and only retrospectively named "The First World War" post-1945 when people and historians named the 1939-45 (1941-45, 1939-44 etc) conflict "The Second World War".

Cooper type numbers are similar, then there's the Cortina "MkV", the Ford GT40 etc.

The different naming of cars and engines is almost worth a thread of its own.

D28
14th October 2011, 16:10
Ex-Jagboy: Meanwhile do you have a question, you would like to post?

Don Capps
15th October 2011, 01:12
Don, isn't this really a trivial matter of semantics? These are simply convenient names so we know what we are talking about and have no real significance. If Len Terry who designed them thinks of them as "T1F", "T1G" etc that's good enough for me. Cooper type numbers are similar, then there's the Cortina "MkV", the Ford GT40 etc.

Surely it is analogous to saying that "There was never a First World War" a when people and historians in the 1920's gave a name to the 1914-18 (1916-18 for Americans and 1914-19 for Italians) conflict, they named it the "Great War" and only retrospectively named "The First World War" post-1945 when people and historians named the 1939-45 (1941-45, 1939-44 etc) conflict "The Second World War".

Cooper type numbers are similar, then there's the Cortina "MkV", the Ford GT40 etc.

The different naming of cars and engines is almost worth a thread of its own.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I simply let it go at that given that it is evident I would be wasting my time.

52Paddy
15th October 2011, 14:54
Here's one just to keep us moving while we wait on Ex-Jagboy: Which former ABBA drummer raced in F1 during the early 80s and with what team?

D-Type
15th October 2011, 15:58
Slim Borgudd with ATS (7 starts and 5 DNQ's)and Tyrrell (3 starts).

He wasn't that bad a driver - 3rd in the European F3 Championship and a best GP result of 6th. I think he later went truck racing with some success.

Ex-Jagboy
15th October 2011, 18:03
Ex-Jagboy: Meanwhile do you have a question, you would like to post?

Ok, here`s a couple for you

Which well known F1 and sportscar driver of the late 1950s -60s, upon retirement from racing located to Holland becoming an Amsterdam diamond merchant.

Which extremely rapid and promising driver of the same era was popularly nick-named `Leadfoot Londoner`

52Paddy
15th October 2011, 19:05
Slim Borgudd with ATS (7 starts and 5 DNQ's)and Tyrrell (3 starts).

He wasn't that bad a driver - 3rd in the European F3 Championship and a best GP result of 6th. I think he later went truck racing with some success.

Correct. On to Ex-Jagboy's questions above now :)

52Paddy
15th October 2011, 19:36
Which extremely rapid and promising driver of the same era was popularly nick-named `Leadfoot Londoner`

Could it be Ian Burgess? He had some decent showings in the few grand prix that he entered during the late 50s/early 60s.

D28
15th October 2011, 20:08
The first driver is Masten Gregory aka the "Kansas City Flash"

The 2nd I will leave to you more familiar with Londoners.

Ex-Jagboy
15th October 2011, 20:24
Could it be Ian Burgess? He had some decent showings in the few grand prix that he entered during the late 50s/early 60s.

Nope... Ian Burgess was`nt in the same league as this driver, in fact few were,

Clue..... he also drove Cooper- Borgward in F2

Ex-Jagboy
15th October 2011, 20:42

Spot on D28 , Masten indeed, who was potentially the best of all the American drivers that hit our shores, and one of the unluckiest, I saw his drive at Silverstone in the Ecurie Ecosse Lister Jaguar which was absolutely sublime, and at Oulton Park in the paddock, a slightly built bespectacled figure either smoking a pipe or a cigarette, who out of a racing car could easily be mistaken for a bank clerk or local primary school teacher, an unforgettable character.

D28
15th October 2011, 23:51

The F2 clue points to Ivor Bueb, though I have always seen him referred to Ivor 'The Driver". Is it he?

kfzmeister
16th October 2011, 03:06
Name the designer that created the current quick connect/ disconnect for all F1 cars front noses

Rollo
16th October 2011, 08:37
Name the designer that created the current quick connect/ disconnect for all F1 cars front noses

If I might make a wild stab in the dark, the first "high nose" car was a Tyrrell from 1990 whilst Alesi was still there (hence the reason why this is my guess).
Tyrrell had Harvey Postlethwaite design their cars, and I think he might have even had a hand in the 1999 Honda project that went nowhere.

I'm saying Dr. Harvey Postlethwaite... could be wrong though.

D-Type
16th October 2011, 17:38
Let's finish this one before starting another shall we?

Ok, here`s a couple for you

Which well known F1 and sportscar driver of the late 1950s -60s, upon retirement from racing located to Holland becoming an Amsterdam diamond merchant.

Spot on D28 , Masten indeed, who was potentially the best of all the American drivers that hit our shores, and one of the unluckiest, I saw his drive at Silverstone in the Ecurie Ecosse Lister Jaguar which was absolutely sublime, and at Oulton Park in the paddock, a slightly built bespectacled figure either smoking a pipe or a cigarette, who out of a racing car could easily be mistaken for a bank clerk or local primary school teacher, an unforgettable character.

The F2 clue points to Ivor Bueb, though I have always seen him referred to Ivor 'The Driver". Is it he?

Is it Chris Bristow?

Ex-Jagboy
16th October 2011, 18:26
Indeed it was Chris Bristow who partnered Ivor Bueb in the BRP Cooper- Borgward team in 1959, and immediately announced himself on the scene by winning the F2 class at the 1959 Aintree Gp, followed by the John Davy trophy at Brands Hatch, a driver of exceptional promise whose death shocked us all at the time as he was arguably the greatest lost talent of his era.

Ex-Jagboy
16th October 2011, 18:46

Nope, but you were very near, Ivor Bueb was known as `Ivor the Driver` but also managed to pick up another quite amusing title thanks to the organisers of a European event getting his name hopelessly mixed up, and subsequently appearing in the programme as `Igor Bulb`.

52Paddy
16th October 2011, 23:32
I was thinking Bristow too. Would have been my next guess. That weekend of the 1960 Belgian GP also saw the death of another Londoner, young Alan Stacey. Just for your interest. A black weekend which saw big accidents for Stirling Moss and a career-ending one for another driver whose name escapes me right now.

kfzmeister
17th October 2011, 04:56
If I might make a wild stab in the dark, the first "high nose" car was a Tyrrell from 1990 whilst Alesi was still there (hence the reason why this is my guess).
Tyrrell had Harvey Postlethwaite design their cars, and I think he might have even had a hand in the 1999 Honda project that went nowhere.

I'm saying Dr. Harvey Postlethwaite... could be wrong though.

Not Postlethwaite. Clue: Reading Steve Matchetts "The Mechanic's Tale" may shed some light on it.

D28
18th October 2011, 22:00
Nope, but you were very near, Ivor Bueb was known as `Ivor the Driver` but also managed to pick up another quite amusing title thanks to the organisers of a European event getting his name hopelessly mixed up, and subsequently appearing in the programme as `Igor Bulb`.

I always wondered how to pronounce Bueb, having never heard the name. Could you or someone spell it out phonetically . Thanks a lot.

kfzmeister
19th October 2011, 14:24
Boo-ebb

D-Type
19th October 2011, 15:18
Phonetics are tricky as we don't all pronounce the basics the same, eg the American "Noo York" and the British "Nyew York"

I allways thought it was "Bew - ebb" with the first syllable rhyming with "few" or "Nyew" rather than the the American "Noo" but sort of rolled into one syllable: "Byewb" rather than "Boob"

But I must admit have never heard his name pronounced by anybody who should know.

Ex-Jagboy
19th October 2011, 15:45
I always wondered how to pronounce Bueb, having never heard the name. Could you or someone spell it out phonetically . Thanks a lot.

I heard his name pronounced on a number of occasions at that time, usually over the race broadcast, and it was always Bue-eb, or Bew-eb,

He was a twice Le Mans winner, and a particularly fine sports car driver, who could never seem to cut it in single seaters, we saw him at Aintree in the very competitive Cooper- Borgward but was way off the pace, and the following weekend he lost his life in a F2 event at Clermont Ferrand becoming yet another sad statistic of that era.

kfzmeister
19th October 2011, 17:46
An American/English speaking may pronounce Bew-ebb, yet a European and even Bueb himself would have said Boo-ebb.

D28
21st October 2011, 17:11

John Barnard

kfzmeister
23rd October 2011, 05:08
John Barnard How did you know. Did you do some research?
Answer is correct.

Rollo
23rd October 2011, 05:44
How did you know. Did you do some research?
Answer is correct.

Since I didn't know the answer to that, my interest has been piqued. Which car was it first used on? Logically it was the MP4/1.
More importantly I'd like to know how you came across this if it wasn't the MP4/1.

D28
23rd October 2011, 16:30
Since I didn't know the answer to that, my interest has been piqued. Which car was it first used on? Logically it was the MP4/1.
More importantly I'd like to know how you came across this if it wasn't the MP4/1.

kfzmeister:
I confess to having to research the answer, I followed the clue of Steve Matchett and quickly came upon this video from SpeedTV:
http://www.speedtv.com/video/formula-1/chalk-talk/f1-german-gp-chalk-talk-2010-221171668001/2/

The first application appears to be the 1991 Benetton 191, but look for yourself on the video.

D28
23rd October 2011, 16:35
Next question, a bit easier this round!

Who drove a Cooper to its last WC Grand Prix appearence? Details, race, engine etc.

Mintexmemory
24th October 2011, 01:15
That would be Vic Elford at the 1969 Monaco Grand Prix with the Antique Automobiles Cooper Maserati. Used because the McLaren M7 they'd ordered wasn't available in time. Tribute to Vic's mechanical sympathy that it was the last running finisher in 7th, albeit 6 laps down.

D28
24th October 2011, 02:39
That would be Vic Elford at the 1969 Monaco Grand Prix with the Antique Automobiles Cooper Maserati. Used because the McLaren M7 they'd ordered wasn't available in time. Tribute to Vic's mechanical sympathy that it was the last running finisher in 7th, albeit 6 laps down.

That is the answer. It is fitting that the last GP should be Monaco where Cooper enjoyed so much success. Just 12 years earlier, Jack Brabham pushed home for 6th in Rob Walker's Climax engined 1.96 l car, showing what was possible in F1.

Rollo
24th October 2011, 03:53
The first application appears to be the 1991 Benetton 191, but look for yourself on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVEg3vkAw9s&feature=related

Right at the beginning of this video, Nannini pits and has his nose replaced in the 1990 Brazillian GP. I do know that later in the GP, Boutsen also had his nosecone replaced, but that wasn't anywhere near as swift.

The point being that at least the Benetton B190 had it in 1990, but (and I'm still trying to find the video for this) that the Tyrrell 019 which was the first high-nose ever, was tested before the Benetton B190.

1991 is too late though.

D28
24th October 2011, 04:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVEg3vkAw9s&feature=related

Right at the beginning of this video, Nannini pits and has his nose replaced in the 1990 Brazillian GP. I do know that later in the GP, Boutsen also had his nosecone replaced, but that wasn't anywhere near as swift.

The point being that at least the Benetton B190 had it in 1990, but (and I'm still trying to find the video for this) that the Tyrrell 019 which was the first high-nose ever, was tested before the Benetton B190.

1991 is too late though.

OK you were able to access the link to Steve Matchett video alright? He is clear about Barnard being the designer with the idea, but not so clear on the first car.

kfzmeister
24th October 2011, 06:03
It was indeed the B191 that first had the cam lock design for removing the nose (I looked it up in Matchett's book)
Matchett mentions in "The Mechanic's Tale" that the B190's nose was still ...."secured by 4 small pins, retained in the chassis by internal spring clips." problems often arose due to the pins sticking in the nose, or the pins would work themselves lose and get lost out on the circuit.
Other teams bolted the nose to their cars. Williams even had airguns to speed things up in case a nose change was necessary. It took way too much time to change a nose, til Barnard's design came along. A nose now is changed in about 7 seconds.
All teams eventually switched to the "Barnard Nose Catch". It is still being used today (the video showed the 2010 RB6).
The idea originally came to Barnard from the furniture industry. Can you say IKEA??? Lol

D28
25th October 2011, 15:46
Mintexmemory: Over to you, if you have a question to pose.

Mintexmemory
26th October 2011, 07:52
Which abortive F1 marque should actually have been named after the team's chief mechanic rather than the nominal designer - Details please

D28
26th October 2011, 18:09
Could be the 1973 Tecno driven in the Belgian GP by Chris Amon for 1 point?

This "Italian" Tecno was built up by designer Alan McCall and mechanic Eddie Wiess.

Mintexmemory
26th October 2011, 19:44
Could be the 1973 Tecno driven in the Belgian GP by Chris Amon for 1 point?

This "Italian" Tecno was built up by designer Alan McCall and mechanic Eddie Wiess.

In the right ball park but this mech is credited with '95%' of the design decisions whereas iirc the Tecno was far more collaborative. This marque actually got more points than the Tecno.

D28
27th October 2011, 15:47
Which abortive F1 marque should actually have been named after the team's chief mechanic rather than the nominal designer - Details please

Abortive to me suggests the marque was very short lived, 1-2 seasons or so. Could you clarify this please.

I have a feeling there is more than one candidate for the answer.

Mintexmemory
27th October 2011, 15:57
Abortive to me suggests the marque was very short lived, 1-2 seasons or so. Could you clarify this please.

I have a feeling there is more than one candidate for the answer.

2 year lifespan, generally thought of as a complete dog. Qualified on one occasion because of other cars expiring in practice. While there are still-born and neo-natal marque deaths none of them are quite as mis-named as this one. A tribute to the fallibility of F1 engineering of the time that it did score points!

D28
28th October 2011, 19:17
2 year lifespan, generally thought of as a complete dog. Qualified on one occasion because of other cars expiring in practice. While there are still-born and neo-natal marque deaths none of them are quite as mis-named as this one. A tribute to the fallibility of F1 engineering of the time that it did score points!

OK my latest (and last guess) is the Iso-Marlboro car of Frank Williams 1973. This car gained 2 points, but one was in the chaotic Canadian GP which was probably not warranted.
Len Bailey may have designed the original car, don't know who reworked it, feel this should be enough, if it is the one!

Mintexmemory
29th October 2011, 01:21
OK my latest (and last guess) is the Iso-Marlboro car of Frank Williams 1973. This car gained 2 points, but one was in the chaotic Canadian GP which was probably not warranted.
Len Bailey may have designed the original car, don't know who reworked it, feel this should be enough, if it is the one!
Nope Iso-Marlboro isn't named after the 'designer'. Anyone else want a tilt?

Rollo
29th October 2011, 09:54
You're not thinking of Porsche are you? I think that would also qualify to fit the question.

BDunnell
30th October 2011, 00:21
You're not thinking of Porsche are you? I think that would also qualify to fit the question.

I think that's out on the grounds of this statement: 'Qualified on one occasion because of other cars expiring in practice'.

It's not Kauhsen, is it?

Mintexmemory
31st October 2011, 00:11
No it's not Kauhsen, BD. I don't want to make it too obvious but the fact that it was a monocoque construction was the most important feature of the design

D28
31st October 2011, 01:19
No it's not Kauhsen, BD. I don't want to make it too obvious but the fact that it was a monocoque construction was the most important feature of the design

The 1963 BRP designed by Tony Robinson fits some of the clues.

Mintexmemory
31st October 2011, 07:46
:o
The 1963 BRP designed by Tony Robinson fits some of the clues.
Except it's not named after the supposed designer. :)
Apologies, I've reviewed the facts and I've made 2 crucial error - only approx 65% of this car actually scored 1 WC point.
The qualification I referred to wasn't because the other entered cars failed in practice, they didn't turn up at the GP to practice despite being entered.
Think this will now fit all the facts that I'm sure someone has discounted because of my fault!

D-Type
31st October 2011, 21:30
AGS?

Mintexmemory
1st November 2011, 11:00
Not AGS.
Full recap of facts.
Dog of a car having a designer's name but should have been named after the chief mechanic (responsible for 95% of the design)
65% (approx value) of the car had scored 1 championship point, but in its final form failed to score a point (mistaken info previously on the points record)
It only qualified on 1 occasion because 2 superior cars failed to make it to practice despite being entered (i.e. it was the last car in a 24 car grid)
It had to be a monocoque construction (key design criterion)
New facts
It was DFV powered and only actually raced twice in Championship GPs

Ex-Jagboy
1st November 2011, 19:14
Complete guess, but vaguely remember Swiss driver Moser abandoning Brabham, and becoming involved with an ill-fated Swiss project around the 1969-70 period, with the car usually failing to qualify, unfortunately can`t recall it`s name,

Might have been something like a Dessardi or Dellardi-Ford, Are we close?.

Mintexmemory
1st November 2011, 22:58
Complete guess, but vaguely remember Swiss driver Moser abandoning Brabham, and becoming involved with an ill-fated Swiss project around the 1969-70 period, with the car usually failing to qualify, unfortunately can`t recall it`s name,

Might have been something like a Dessardi or Dellardi-Ford, Are we close?.
Searingly
Silvio Moser was the very first F1 driver whose autograph I obtained - Race of Champions 1968. He had a Brabham BT20 Repco and along with Jo Bonnier in the Mclaren M5 BRM was propping up the grid.
Wiki-able now I fancy ;)

D28
2nd November 2011, 12:39
I am unclear, the answer is Bellasi?
That marque slipped by, as I was looking for a point scoring car. It is one make that I never heard of.

I am curious as to the details of the evolution from a Brabham to a Bellasi.

Mintexmemory
3rd November 2011, 20:04
Silvio Moser, who had been racing a Brabham BT24 with a DFV in place of the Repco V8 and had met Bellasi during their F3 days, commissioned his fellow Ticino, Switzerland, resident to produce a F1 car for 1970. The reason for this apparently strange move was that Moser needed a monocoque replacement for the Brabham (a tubular spaceframe) he had been racing because of regulations calling for bag fuel tanks. He had scored a point with the Brabham at the 69 US GP. The two started working on the idea in the winter of 1969-'70, with the original idea being to build a new frame based on Moser's BT24-3. The frame was to be financed by Bellasi while the Moser Racing Team SA brought in the engine (the old DFV 802), gearbox, wheels and other parts (including suspension components - hence the 65% of a point clue) from the old Brabham. In February 1970, having started out with the BT24-3, Beat Schenker, Moser's faithful mechanic, found out that Bellasi was full of ideas but short of a clear project. So Schenker took over the command to design and build the remaining 90 to 95 per cent of the car. Hence, the car should rightly have been called a Schenker but presumably Bellasi had stumped up some cash and had a contract!
It only qualified for the 1970 Austrian GP because Hill and Peterson were DNAs, retiring after 13 laps
It managed to qualify the following year, at its only attempt, for the Italian GP, again retiring.
Silvio died in 1974 from injuries sustained in a crash at the Monza 1000kms.
Beat Schenker maintains a website dedicated to Moser's career and is attempting to restore the Bellasi
Sources:
car racing with silvio moser (http://www.silviomoser.ch/silviotie.htm)
8W - What? - Bellasi (http://www.forix.com/8w/bellasi.html)

So as Bellasi is the answer over to D28

D28
3rd November 2011, 20:22
Thanks, very interesting. Since I only found the answer by typing in Moser the real credit belongs to Ex-Jagboy.
I looked at a lot of F1 rejects but never would have came up with the Bellasi, indeed I had never noticed the name.

Over to you Ex-Jagboy for a question, since you came up with Silvio Moser.

Ex-Jagboy
3rd November 2011, 22:32
Thanks, very interesting. Since I only found the answer by typing in Moser the real credit belongs to Ex-Jagboy.
I looked at a lot of F1 rejects but never would have came up with the Bellasi, indeed I had never noticed the name.

Over to you Ex-Jagboy for a question, since you came up with Silvio Moser.

Thanks D28, It really was a shot in the dark, but I saw Silvio Moser in the Oulton Park Gold Cup in 1969 where he performed quite creditably, qualifying quite well in practice, and during the race runnng around 5th or 6th from memory until he hit mechanical problems, It was after the Oulton meeting that he disappeared from the UK scene, and a article appeared in one of the motoring mags linking him with with this Swiss based monocoque project which we now know to be the Bellasi,

I briefly saw Silvio in the paddock at Oulton, but sadly never thought to obtain his autograph, but according to those who did he seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke.

Anyway question for you.

Which playboy F1 racer of the 1950s attracted not only media attention for his exploits on the track, but also for his involvement with the Italian ballerina Delia Scala.

Rollo
3rd November 2011, 23:37
I had no idea, so I googled this and found the answer quite quickly.

Now I have all sorts of questions :D

Mintexmemory
4th November 2011, 00:05
I had no idea, so I googled this and found the answer quite quickly.

Now I have all sorts of questions :D

What a gal Delia was (allegedly)! So what questions would they be, then Rollo? ;)

Rollo
4th November 2011, 00:22
Is there a reason why 548 had a yellow nose in the Mille Miglia?
How many times did he pair with Fangio?
Is the story of Vittorio Marzotto winning the 1952 Monaco GP true because of a can of Coke true? That just seems a little too fantastic to be true.

D28
7th November 2011, 15:20
Is it time for another question here? Rollo?

Rollo
7th November 2011, 22:51
I am obsessed with numbers.

What is the highest number ever to appear on the winner of a Grand Prix? (modern era - 1950 and onwards)

D28
8th November 2011, 01:16
I am obsessed with numbers.

What is the highest number ever to appear on the winner of a Grand Prix? (modern era - 1950 and onwards)

I'd say 136 which appeared on Rudolf Krause's BMW F2 car in the 1952 German Grand Prix.

Rollo
8th November 2011, 01:35
I'd say 136 which appeared on Rudolf Krause's BMW F2 car in the 1952 German Grand Prix.

Is it possible to win a race of you've retired?

D28
8th November 2011, 02:50
Is it possible to win a race of you've retired?

Of course not, didn't read carefully, my mistake.

I'll say # 101 on Ascari's Ferrari 1952 Greman GP.

Rollo
8th November 2011, 03:10
Of course not, didn't read carefully, my mistake.

I'll say # 101 on Ascari's Ferrari 1952 German GP.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

http://datagrange.com/motorsport/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1952GermanGP.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3895097238_f1872febc8.jpg

re 136 which appeared on Krause's car: it isn't even the highest number to appear on a Grand Prix car. That honour goes to Lella Lombardi who drove #208 being the wavelength of Radio Luxembourg.

D28
8th November 2011, 04:16
re 136 which appeared on Krause's car: it isn't even the highest number to appear on a Grand Prix car. That honour goes to Lella Lombardi who drove #208 being the wavelength of Radio Luxembourg.

Correct, I find that very interesting. Looking up sources for Lella's races, I could not find #208 on any records.Then I found that 1974 British GP she drove a Brabham-Ford but failed to qualify. I'm wondering if she ever actually raced with # 208, or was this just a one-off deal.
That makes for a good trivial question the way you phrased it.
Fascinating stuff.

Rollo
8th November 2011, 04:33
To expand this to everything, I wonder what the highest number ever to appear on a racecar ever was. Both Jack Perkins and James Moffat have driven #999 in the Fujitsu Series (the V8 Supercars feeder series), so that means that if there is going to be a higher number it will have at least four digits. I would think that such a car would have been in the Mille Miglia where the number was determined by the starting time on the road.

D-Type
8th November 2011, 13:19
Correct, I find that very interesting. Looking up sources for Lella's races, I could not find #208 on any records.Then I found that 1974 British GP she drove a Brabham-Ford but failed to qualify. I'm wondering if she ever actually raced with # 208, or was this just a one-off deal.
That makes for a good trivial question the way you phrased it.
Fascinating stuff.
I am pretty certain that she raced with #208 in the Aurora Championship but need to check

D-Type
8th November 2011, 13:26
To expand this to everything, I wonder what the highest number ever to appear on a racecar ever was. Both Jack Perkins and James Moffat have driven #999 in the Fujitsu Series (the V8 Supercars feeder series), so that means that if there is going to be a higher number it will have at least four digits. I would think that such a car would have been in the Mille Miglia where the number was determined by the starting time on the road.
From Martin Krejki's great site: in the 1956 Mille Miglia #2400 was a Fiat 1100.103 TV driven by Vincenzo Antolini Ossi and Deteo Malucelli

D28
8th November 2011, 15:55
Next question:

JM Fangio was asked by friend Johnny Claes to try his sister Maserati at Spa 1953, with the idea of explaining the huge differential in lap times. After setting identical times with both cars, Claes asked Fangio how he did it.
What is Fangio quoted as telling Claes, and who overheard this exchange and reported it?

D-Type
13th November 2011, 18:08
I am pretty certain that she raced with #208 in the Aurora Championship but need to check
Just to close this out. It wasn't the Aurora Series but she did compete in 1974 non-championship F1 races: Race of Champions (not classified) and International Trophy (13th). The Radio Luxembourg sponsored 208 also featured in these races in other years

D28
13th November 2011, 18:28
Just to close this out. It wasn't the Aurora Series but she did compete in 1974 non-championship F1 races: Race of Champions (not classified) and International Trophy (13th). The Radio Luxembourg sponsored 208 also featured in these races in other years
Right, I didn't find any record of her competing in the Aurora series.

With respect to the higest number ever, I have found none above 2400. Under the Mille Miglia system that would correspond to a starting time of midnight. The number 2400 appeared in several MM races, always on one of the slower cars.

Mintexmemory
17th November 2011, 12:30
Next question:

JM Fangio was asked by friend Johnny Claes to try his sister Maserati at Spa 1953, with the idea of explaining the huge differential in lap times. After setting identical times with both cars, Claes asked Fangio how he did it.
What is Fangio quoted as telling Claes, and who overheard this exchange and reported it?

"Less brakes, more accelerator" -don't know who overheard it though -Jenks or John Bolster?

D28
17th November 2011, 15:13
"Less brakes, more accelerator" -don't know who overheard it though -Jenks or John Bolster?

Good work. That pithy quote makes a good story, Fangio was not putting his friend down, just stating the obvious.

I'm sure you know the source, very well known Belgian journalist.

Mintexmemory
19th November 2011, 10:52
Good work. That pithy quote makes a good story, Fangio was not putting his friend down, just stating the obvious.

I'm sure you know the source, very well known Belgian journalist.

This is like the '10 famous Belgians' question! There is only one very well known Belgian motor sport journalist and he's the right era - So Paul Frere it is - n'est ce pas?

D28
19th November 2011, 15:20
This is like the '10 famous Belgians' question! There is only one very well known Belgian motor sport journalist and he's the right era - So Paul Frere it is - n'est ce pas?
Yes it is. The story is related in Karl Ludvigsen's biography, he says:

Paul Frere heard the reply: 'Fangio said nothing at first and extricated himself from the cockpit; he then went quietly to sit on the pit counter and, in his broken English, gave his very plain and simple explanation: "Less brakes, and more accelerator."'" (p. 84).

Your turn.

D28
19th November 2011, 21:18
Paul Frere is arguably one of the best driver/journalists in recent times. Fellow LeMans winner Phil Hill would also be in that category, as well as Innes Ireland. I believe Frere might get the nod over the others due to writing complete books like Sports Car and Competition Driving, and The Porsche 911 Story.

D-Type
19th November 2011, 23:57
I think it would be more accurate to describe Frere as a journalist/ driver. He made the conscious choice not to pursue a career as a professional driver and made journalism his main means of support.

Another driver/journalist is Innes Ireland who took up journalism after he retired - I forget which magazine he wrote for.

D28
20th November 2011, 01:17
He wrote for Autocar which I did not see, and Road & Track which I did see a lot. As for Denis Jenkinson, obviously a superb journalist, observer and so on. I know he had a career with a bike sidecar outfit, also was totally fearless, as mentioned by Moss and others. I'm wondering,
Did he ride, or was he the passenger with the sidecar?
Did he ever drive competively in cars?
Was his eyesight a limiting factor in competivive driving?

D-Type
20th November 2011, 10:31
Jenks rode as passenger on sidecars including partnering Eric Oliver to win the 1949 World Championship. Because several Continental sidecar races took place on the same weekend as a car race he started reporting the car races, doing so full time when he hung up his helmet. He never raced cars competitively. I think his poor eyesight may have been a reason.
There is a great book Jenks - A passion for motor sport published in 1997 shortly after his death. It comprises an anthology of 100 or so pieces from him, mainly from the BRDC Bulletin but including a couple from Motor Sport including his classic account of the 1955 Mille Miglia. It also has contributions headed "The Jenks I knew" from Doug Nye, Bill Boddy, Nigel Roebuck, Alan Henry, Eoin Young, Jesse Alexander and Maurice Hamilton.

Mintexmemory
20th November 2011, 21:24
Next question then. Who's first GP podium was greeted with the winner turning to him on the 'Lap of Honour' trailer and saying " (Expletive deleted)ing hell, you didn't finish 3rd, did you!?"

D-Type
20th November 2011, 22:27
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Great question - But sadly I haven't a clue!

D28
21st November 2011, 14:26
I have a hunch this is somehow Cooper related, so I will guess the 1959 British Grand Prix, and Jack Brabham taliking to Bruce McLaren.

Mintexmemory
21st November 2011, 23:06
I have a hunch this is somehow Cooper related, so I will guess the 1959 British Grand Prix, and Jack Brabham taliking to Bruce McLaren.
Although Black Jack was no stranger to 'industrial language' he would have known what his team mate was up to in a race, I expect. Especially so, given the Cooper dominance of the 1959 British GP which was McLaren's first podium (3rd) to Brabham's win - hardly gobsmacking!
Next attempt please folks.

BDunnell
21st November 2011, 23:15
I am going for Keke Rosberg, because his first podium was in a race won by Alan Jones, and it sounds like the sort of thing Jones might have said.

Mintexmemory
22nd November 2011, 00:13
I am going for Keke Rosberg, because his first podium was in a race won by Alan Jones, and it sounds like the sort of thing Jones might have said.

:D seems everyone thinks the quote was said by an antipodean, it wasn't. (first extra clue).

RichardMK
22nd November 2011, 16:10
My guess - John Watson to Eddie Cheever at 1982 Belian Grand Prix, as Cheever started fair way down grid, and his first podium

Mintexmemory
22nd November 2011, 20:20
My guess - John Watson to Eddie Cheever at 1982 Belian Grand Prix, as Cheever started fair way down grid, and his first podium

No, as I recall Wattie was always calm and restrained in his dealings with other drivers. Even if he had ever had that sort of reaction I'm sure it would have been muted at Zolder given the tragic loss of Gilles V in practice. The bit that you have got right is that both parties were anglophones ;)

BDunnell
22nd November 2011, 20:38
Hunt to Watson, 1976 French GP?

Mintexmemory
22nd November 2011, 23:54
Hunt to Watson, 1976 French GP?
I like your thinking BD but Watson isn't the sort of guy who says much about the inside track of his career (beach fishing being his obsession I understand). So someone as 'direct' as Hunt as the quotee but the recipient is someone who has a million stories like this one!

RichardMK
23rd November 2011, 17:40
Okay, another try - Jackie Stewart to Mario Andretti at 1970 Spanish GP?

Mintexmemory
24th November 2011, 09:25
Okay, another try - Jackie Stewart to Mario Andretti at 1970 Spanish GP?

One quarter right! Once again though, wee Jackie was never one to let his PR image slip (except his biography excerpt which profusely praises Fred Goodwin!!!)

D-Type
24th November 2011, 12:15
Other way perhaps
Graham Hill to Jackie Stewart at Monaco 1965
But I am wondering if they did have a 'Lap of honour' on a trailer at Monaco or did they go directly to presentation of trophies by the Prince and Princess?

Mintexmemory
24th November 2011, 12:34
Other way perhaps
Graham Hill to Jackie Stewart at Monaco 1965
But I am wondering if they did have a 'Lap of honour' on a trailer at Monaco or did they go directly to presentation of trophies by the Prince and Princess?

Another 25% correct!
No they didn't do a lap of honour on a trailer- it was the back of an open top limmo before meeting Their Serene Highnesses.
So I did some research and it wasn't a trailer anyway for the incident in my question. The 3 podium drivers were crammed in the back of a small engined sportscar, sitting on the boot with their feet on the back seat.
The 'clean' version of the story is: ' There I was waving at the crowd when suddenly X turned round, looked at me in astonishment and said "Don't tell me you finished 3rd".'
I prefer the 'after dinner' version :)

RichardMK
24th November 2011, 16:04
Believe now have it, thanks to the 25% clues
Hill to Brian Redman, 1968 Spanish GP

D28
24th November 2011, 17:18
Another 25% correct!
No they didn't do a lap of honour on a trailer- it was the back of an open top limmo before meeting Their Serene Highnesses.

I watched a TV newsreel of the Monaco race, including the ceremonies. Hill goes directly to the royal box to receive his trophies, no sign of Bandini and Stewart. Then he gets back in the BRM with a laurel round his neck and starts to drive off, Back to the paddock?
Ranier and Grace get in a Cadillac and drive away. I did not see any parade lap for the three drivers.

Mintexmemory
24th November 2011, 17:43
I watched a TV newsreel of the Monaco race, including the ceremonies. Hill goes directly to the royal box to receive his trophies, no sign of Bandini and Stewart. Then he gets back in the BRM with a laurel round his neck and starts to drive off, Back to the paddock?
Ranier and Grace get in a Cadillac and drive away. I did not see any parade lap for the three drivers.
I have seen a photo in the past of the 68 win with a limmo (or maybe dementia is setting in and I imagined it) I shall try to relocate it from somewhere.
However,Richard MK has it - Hill to Redman 68 Spanish GP. In a race of only 5 classified finishers it is amazing the 3rd and 4th were Cooper-BRMs. Brian tells the story in a number of different ways, but having been in the paddock at Brands when, a less than happy, G Hill was explaining a problem to a mechanic I can vouch for the fact that colourful anglo-saxon invective was never far from his lips. If you ever get a chance to listen to Brian R in racconteur mode seize it. Some of my best Festival of Speed moments have been at the Dunlop stage listening to BR

D28
24th November 2011, 18:12
Apart from the lap of honour deal, I would have guessed Monaco 65 for sure. In this I was half right, with Graham Hill, but never would have guessed Redman. I believe all such laps of honour don't happen anymore, as the podium protocol is laid out by F1 management. Is this correct?

BDunnell
24th November 2011, 19:02
If you ever get a chance to listen to Brian R in racconteur mode seize it. Some of my best Festival of Speed moments have been at the Dunlop stage listening to BR

I couldn't agree more. He is most entertaining, and insightful with it.

Mintexmemory
25th November 2011, 00:49
Apart from the lap of honour deal, I would have guessed Monaco 65 for sure. In this I was half right, with Graham Hill, but never would have guessed Redman. I believe all such laps of honour don't happen anymore, as the podium protocol is laid out by F1 management. Is this correct?
I don't know for sure, but given how little variation there is in the respective podium ceremonies (presumably to fit in with TV schedules) it would seem so.
Living History: Brian Redman In Classic Photos | The Race Driver (http://www.theracedriver.com/2011/04/living-history-brian-redman-in-classic-photos/) is the link for the photo of the 'lap of honour in question.
Over to Richard MK for the next Q

D28
25th November 2011, 02:06
With the mandatory TV press conference there is no time for honour laps, and the podium ceremonies do follow a protocal.
The lap of honour I remember from pictures, is the British GP 1968 they put Siffert's Lotus on a trailor and towed it around the circuit with a Ford tractor. This one from Spain looks almost as good, I wouldn't have believed they would use such a puny car. One more thing to miss from modern F1!

Mintexmemory
25th November 2011, 08:51
The Brands Hatch tractor and trailer was a standard feature of F1 races at Brands. The trailer would be covered in advertising banners for the event main sponsors -Daily Mail for the Race of Champions and at some time John Player Special (with about 20 v attractive ladies in black mini skirts and gold blouses accompanying the winner - grrrrowlll !!)

D-Type
25th November 2011, 14:08
With the mandatory TV press conference there is no time for honour laps, and the podium ceremonies do follow a protocal.
The lap of honour I remember from pictures, is the British GP 1968 they put Siffert's Lotus on a trailor and towed it around the circuit with a Ford tractor. This one from Spain looks almost as good, I wouldn't have believed they would use such a puny car. One more thing to miss from modern F1!
I think the tractor and trailer may have started at Silverstone but have no idea when. When Clark won in 1963 the the trailer had the Lotus, Jimmy, Colin Chapman, several mechanics, (possibly Hazel Chapman and Sally Stokes) and a piper. Is there a photo somewhere? Is there enough to discuss to merit its own thread?
?
As to the "puny car"; was it perhaps a Spanish-made SEAT 850 as at the time SEAT were building Fiats under licence? That would explain the choice.

Awating RichardMK with the next question

52Paddy
29th November 2011, 00:29
In what way did Count Agusta involuntarily push John Surtees to car racing?

D28
29th November 2011, 02:38
Signed to an exclusive bike contract with Agusta, Surtees was limited to the races the factory chose to enter. Being precluded from racing his own bikes, he had many free weekends to try out 4 wheel racing.

52Paddy
29th November 2011, 13:21
Correct!

D28
29th November 2011, 16:58
Who was the first Finnish driver to qualify for a F1 race, time and place?

D-Type
29th November 2011, 19:17
Do you mean "Formula 1 race" or do you mean "World Drivers' Championship qualifier". From the forties through to the eighties or so, there were several non-championship Formula 1 races so these two terms were not synonymous although they are now (more or less).

D28
29th November 2011, 19:35
Do you mean "Formula 1 race" or do you mean "World Drivers' Championship qualifier". From the forties through to the eighties or so, there were several non-championship Formula 1 races so these two terms were not synonymous although they are now (more or less).

I thought of that, but in this case I don't think it is relevant. I do however mean world championship races.

Mintexmemory
1st December 2011, 10:01
I thought of that, but in this case I don't think it is relevant. I do however mean world championship races.

Indeed it isn't relevant.
Leo Kinnunen, Swedish GP at Anderstorp, 1974.
Driving a Surtees TS14 that Big John should never have sold to anyone (Bent monocoque, 80kgs overweight, one sparkplug thread stripped in the DFV)
I only saw him 'race' once - the short intermission in the 'Pedro Rodriguez show' that was the 1970 BOAC 1000.

D-Type
1st December 2011, 12:47

With my moderator's hat on, I have to say that this question is always relevant. It may not change the answer but it affects the searching.

For example, there might have been a Finnish driver in the Swedish ice races of the late forties which were, I think, run to Formula 1 rules. Likewise there might have been a Finn entered in a non-championship F1 race such a the Race of Champions or International Trophy before making his Championship debut, or a Finn might have raced in a minor non-championship F1 race and never entered a WDC race. From what you say, none applies in this case, but it could have been the case.

D28
1st December 2011, 14:34
Indeed it isn't relevant.
Leo Kinnunen, Swedish GP at Anderstorp, 1974.
Driving a Surtees TS14 that Big John should never have sold to anyone (Bent monocoque, 80kgs overweight, one sparkplug thread stripped in the DFV)
I only saw him 'race' once - the short intermission in the 'Pedro Rodriguez show' that was the 1970 BOAC 1000.

Right, well done. I came upon this question from an interview with Kinnunen himself, where he claimed to be the first Finn in F1. I was pretty sure there were no earlier claimants, but I would have accepted one for the answer if it had surfaced. That is why I didn't specify world championship races, as I usually do.

Finns have been sucessful in F1 out of all proportion to their numbers, winning the Drivers Championship 4 times. Of course in rallying they are even more dominant. That must set some sort of record, number of title wins per population, I would think. Population is about 5.4 m.

Mintexmemory
1st December 2011, 19:32
Right, well done. I came upon this question from an interview with Kinnunen himself, where he claimed to be the first Finn in F1. I was pretty sure there were no earlier claimants, but I would have accepted one for the answer if it had surfaced. That is why I didn't specify world championship races, as I usually do.

Finns have been sucessful in F1 out of all proportion to their numbers, winning the Drivers Championship 4 times. Of course in rallying they are even more dominant. That must set some sort of record, number of title wins per population, I would think. Population is about 5.4 m.
Next question comes straight from the above - Which country has the highest number of FIA world championship titles per head of population (I'll accept currently given population on Wikipedia)

D-Type
1st December 2011, 19:58
Scotland

Mintexmemory
1st December 2011, 21:29
Scotland
Now if you put in a suggestion please tell me how many titles you are claiming. I presume you are claiming
Clark - 2
Stewart - 3
McRae - 1

Total 6 - way off being the best!! ;)

D-Type
1st December 2011, 23:08
Sorry, I misread the question. I thought you were asking about World Drivers' championships.

D28
2nd December 2011, 03:37

According to Kinnunen the car was barely drivable. He only managed to qualify it one time, and then only fueled it for about 8 laps, and retired. Another trivial distinction for Kinnunen is the claim to be the last driver to wear an open-faced helmet in a F1 GP. (Motorsport Jul 2005)

Mintexmemory
2nd December 2011, 10:49
Sorry, I misread the question. I thought you were asking about World Drivers' championships.

The question is very carefully worded ;) For clarification I mean individual citizens of that country, not teams based there so, for instance the F1 Constructor's Championship does not count.

D28
9th December 2011, 15:31
To keep things moving here, I will bite and go with my original guess and say Finland. I am not knowledgeable about rallying, but I count about 14 World Champiuonship for Drivers, this along with 4 F1 drivers titles would be 18, pretty hard to beat for about 5.4 m people.

52Paddy
9th December 2011, 21:24
If Finland is incorrect, I'm pretty sure it would be one of the Scandinavian neighbours Sweden or Norway, given their success in the FIA European Rallycross Championship.

11th December 2011, 13:27
Probably 20 pounds or 30 @ the most very unlikely any higher then 20.
Aint worth it stick with the game.

Mintexmemory
12th December 2011, 11:49
If Finland is incorrect, I'm pretty sure it would be one of the Scandinavian neighbours Sweden or Norway, given their success in the FIA European Rallycross Championship.
Finland is incorrect but is the best of the Scandanavian countries with a FIA world title coefficient of 5.3 x 10(-6) wins per head of population and is second place in the list
- A long way short of the the top country whose coefficient is 228x 10(-6)
FIA EUROPEAN Rallycross is NOT a WORLD TITLE. The Kart World Championship is however (but that isn't significant in itself)

AndyL
12th December 2011, 14:56
Finland is incorrect but is the best of the Scandanavian countries with a FIA world title coefficient of 5.3 x 10(-6) wins per head of population and is second place in the list
- A long way short of the the top country whose coefficient is 228x 10(-6)
FIA EUROPEAN Rallycross is NOT a WORLD TITLE. The Kart World Championship is however (but that isn't significant in itself)

So to turn that number on its head, we're looking for a country that has a population of 4,386 per win. For a country the size of Monaco or San Marino that would mean 7 or 8 championships, which I'm sure we would have remembered by now, and the list of countries smaller than them is quite short! Are we looking for some semi-independent colony of a larger country, where the larger country is usually listed as the nationality of the relevant champion driver?

D-Type
12th December 2011, 22:01
A visit to the FIA site shows they currently have six Championships with "World" in the title:
(1) FIA Formula 1 World Championship
(2) FIA World Rally Championship
(3) FIA World Touring Car Championship
(4) FIA World Endurance Championship
(5) FIA GT1 World Championship
(6) FIA Cross-Country World Cup
Is this the list we should be working from, or were there others in the past?

And there's the CIK/FIA Karting World Championship which has already been ruled out.

So, could the answer be Belgium, courtesy of Jacky Ickx's many World Endurance Championships?

AndyL
13th December 2011, 10:43
A visit to the FIA site shows they currently have six Championships with "World" in the title):
(1) FIA Formula 1 World Championship
(2) FIA World Rally Championship
(3) FIA World Touring Car Championship
(4) FIA World Endurance Championship
(5) FIA GT1 World Championship
(6) FIA Cross-Country World Cup
Is this the list we should be working from, or were there others in the past?

And there's the CIK/FIA Karting World Championship which has already been ruled out.

So, could the answer be Belgium, courtesy of Jacky Ickx's many World Endurance Championships?

To make the numbers add up, with a Belgian population of 11 million Jacky would have had to win about 2,500 championships! He was good, but not that good :D We must be looking for a much smaller country.

In an earlier post, didn't Mintexmemory rule the karting world championship in?

The predecessor to the World Endurance Championship, the World Sportscar Championship, ran for 40 years but only had a driver's title for the last dozen. All of those were either British, American, French, Spanish, German, Brazilian or, of course, Jacky Ickx.

Actually this raises a point I hadn't thought of. Are we considering team and manufacturer titles as well as driver titles? Looking back at the original question I guess we are.

52Paddy
13th December 2011, 19:37
For clarification I mean individual citizens of that country, not teams based there so, for instance the F1 Constructor's Championship does not count.

Clearly not counting team's or manufacturer's championships. Just drivers.

D-Type
13th December 2011, 21:09
I wonder, are you considering Jersey to be a separate country? And it wins courtesy of Andy Priaux?