PDA

View Full Version : Williams sign Bottas as official test driver

Giuseppe F1
29th January 2010, 10:18
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81111

Williams signs Bottas as test driver
By Matt Beer
Friday, January 29th 2010, 09:49 GMT

Williams has signed Formula 3 Euro Series frontrunner Valtteri Bottas as its official test driver for the 2010 Formula 1 season.

The 20-year-old Finn, who is managed by former world champion Mika Hakkinen, steps into the role vacated by GP2 champion Nico Hulkenberg, who has been promoted to the Williams race team this year......

.....Bottas finished third in his F3 Euro Series rookie season last year with top team ART, and is among the 2010 title favourites having completed a deal to stay with the squad.

Sir Frank Williams added: "Valtteri's CV is very impressive, with a long list of success in the right junior formulae. We hope that the role of official test driver in our squad will provide him with another step in his development. We wish him all the best in the Formula 3 Euro Series this season."

maximilian
29th January 2010, 12:52
It always amazes me how Finland keeps producing talented racers and rallyers on a regular basis. I believe this is a good signing. I had Bottas on my list of guys to watch as future F1 talents, and here he is...

jens
29th January 2010, 13:35
Bottas seems to be going pretty much via the path of Hülkenberg/Bianchi - 3rd in his first Euro F3 season with ART and is a likely title favourite for the second season. I think this guy is certainly worth of taking serious notice among the future talents. Despite Kimi's departure and Heikki's drop to a potential backmarker team, Finns have a reason of looking forward to a positive future. :up:

Sonic
29th January 2010, 13:50
I thought Sam Bird was in line for that seat?

jens
29th January 2010, 14:01
I thought Sam Bird was in line for that seat?

I thought Andy Soucek was. :p :

maximilian
29th January 2010, 14:09
I am hoping it is a good sign that Soucek might land the Campos seat...

Sonic
29th January 2010, 14:17

Good old Frank - half a dozen drivers on the go. Its like 1996 all over again :D