PDA

View Full Version : test and reserve drivers in Friday practice ?

CNR
27th January 2010, 22:18
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/156335/1/whitmarsh_lets_cat_out_of_bag_on_di_restaforce_ind ia_f1_deal.html

As the new chairman of the Formula One (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1) Teams' Association (FOTA), Whitmarsh has revealed that for the first time in four years, some teams – McLaren (http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/team_profile/10/vodafone_mclaren_mercedes.html) admittedly not amongst them – are re-examining the viability of running test and reserve drivers in Friday practice rather than the regular race-driving duo.

52Paddy
27th January 2010, 23:24
What? And not have the race drivers run in practice at all? Get out of town! Firstly no in-season testing and now, no Friday practice! An intense training and practice routine will make a driver, a real driver. With these limitations, how can anybody reach their full potential?

savage86
28th January 2010, 00:03
this is total bullcrap there's no reason why a team would want to take away already limited setup time on a friday, and expect them to do the whole lot on saturday.

The test driver could have a totally different driving style and setup demands.
Seems more likley the test driver will just run now and again on a friday morning when the tracks all dusty.

truefan72
28th January 2010, 01:27
I actually thought that it was supposed to be test/reserve drivers along with the regular folks, so we would see 3 team cars in practice. to me that owuld have been ok and a welcomed opportunity to get in testing as well as to keep those 3rd drivers fresh with something meaningful to do.

If they do as others here suggest they are intending to do, then I do not see 1 single team forsaking their actual race drivers for some 3rd driver to stretch his legs on Friday. so as it stand the idea is nonsense.

maximilian
28th January 2010, 01:35
3 cars per team in Friday practice would be wonderful... in other words, it'll never happen! :p :

jens
29th January 2010, 13:22
3 cars per team in Friday practice would be wonderful... in other words, it'll never happen! :p :

Yes, exactly, which I mentioned in another thread. :) And if they are worried about costs, they may use a certain engine limit per season for a third Friday driver too. So it should be like we had in mid-noughties with the difference of all teams running 3rd cars, not only WCC 5th-10th.

maximilian
29th January 2010, 14:02
Yes, exactly, which I mentioned in another thread. :) And if they are worried about costs, they may use a certain engine limit per season for a third Friday driver too. So it should be like we had in mid-noughties with the difference of all teams running 3rd cars, not only WCC 5th-10th.
Yeah, the question of costs also crossed my mind. For some of the lesser funded teams it may be difficult to have 3 cars ready, and the shipping of extra cars/materials may be an issue as well. Would be risky business to use the race seat cars with the test driver, as the racers would lack practice later, and there is a chance the car may be wrecked (at least if a racer crashes, he only has himself to blame) - not to mention the engine allowance thingy... So maybe it's cost-prohibitive, or rather favors the larger teams who have the resources to run 3 cars, in which case it may be better if it didn't happen. I am just thinking out loud here, I'd still love to see 3 cars in practice! :D