PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phones & tablets thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

CaptainRaiden
17th November 2012, 10:50
The Nexus 4 is an incredible phone, and it's a wonder it's not more highly publicised. It's the equal of an iPhone in most respects, with a few minor drawbacks and advantages over the Apple, but it's damn near half the price.

I guess if Google or LG spent as much money on publicity and marketing as Apple or Samsung do, then the handset will no longer be this cheap, and will fall somewhere around the Galaxy S3 range.

Malbec
17th November 2012, 15:28
I guess if Google or LG spent as much money on publicity and marketing as Apple or Samsung do, then the handset will no longer be this cheap, and will fall somewhere around the Galaxy S3 range.

Samsung gets about £50-70 more for an S3 than LG gets for the Nexus 4. That gap is far too large to be accounted for by marketing, the cost of which would be spread throughout the entire Samsung range anyway.

Unless Google/LG are dumping which would get them into serious legal problems all the Nexus 4 price illustrates is the ridiculously high premium Samsung/HTC/Sony et al charge for their flagship phones.

Valve Bounce
18th November 2012, 01:51
Samsung gets about £50-70 more for an S3 than LG gets for the Nexus 4. That gap is far too large to be accounted for by marketing, the cost of which would be spread throughout the entire Samsung range anyway.

Unless Google/LG are dumping which would get them into serious legal problems all the Nexus 4 price illustrates is the ridiculously high premium Samsung/HTC/Sony et al charge for their flagship phones.

Well, you could be right!. The difference in price is even greater here in Oz, as the Samsung is very popular.
I am also aware that there is a thriving market here for fake brand name mobile phones here in Oz. I just found an advert for two i5's here in Melbourne for $119. I would guess that they are either stolen, or fake and probably don't work.
When I do make my move, I willprobably pay a little more and get a phone from a reputable out let.

Valve Bounce
19th November 2012, 02:30
OK! I have been looking at the LGNexus 4, and at $300 it seems like a good deal. However, I note that it does not come with 4G LTE, not that I have the faintest idea what that is. However, can you guys please tell me how serious this lack of 4G LTE is.Thanks!

Dave B
19th November 2012, 10:13
OK! I have been looking at the LGNexus 4, and at $300 it seems like a good deal. However, I note that it does not come with 4G LTE, not that I have the faintest idea what that is. However, can you guys please tell me how serious this lack of 4G LTE is.Thanks!
What's your 4G coverage like over there, and what are the networks' expansion plans? Without decent coverage there's no point having 4G, but if you're planning on keeping the handset for a few years there's no harm in futureproofing yourself. Here in the UK there's currently only one network offering 4G, and that's only in a few major towns, and even then the coverage is patchy.

I suspect that like many features it's one of those things you'll only appreciate once you've used it. 3G speeds are decent enough for most purposes, but if you're planning on streaming media then you'll soon need fast(er) connections and uncapped data. Personally I like keeping my music and video on the device itself, others prefer the cloud which leaves you reliant on a decent signal.

Dave B
19th November 2012, 10:35
OK! I have been looking at the LGNexus 4, and at $300 it seems like a good deal. However, I note that it does not come with 4G LTE...
There's a suggestion that actually the Nexus4 does have LTE hardware, but that it's not currently enabled. It's just about conceivable that a firmware update could switch this feature on, but certainly don't base a purchasing decision around that possibility!

iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/ifixit-tears-apart-the-nexus-4-finds-a-surprise-lte-chip/)

Valve Bounce
19th November 2012, 11:11
There's a suggestion that actually the Nexus4 does have LTE hardware, but that it's not currently enabled. It's just about conceivable that a firmware update could switch this feature on, but certainly don't base a purchasing decision around that possibility!

iFixit tears apart the Nexus 4, finds surprise LTE chip | Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/ifixit-tears-apart-the-nexus-4-finds-a-surprise-lte-chip/)

Thanks a lot. I think that only Telstra has 4G here, but I am with Optus. Anyway, I will confirm this tomorrow. I won't be using the phone for streaming anyway, as I have an Ultrabook for that.

Malbec
19th November 2012, 11:14
What's your 4G coverage like over there, and what are the networks' expansion plans? Without decent coverage there's no point having 4G, but if you're planning on keeping the handset for a few years there's no harm in futureproofing yourself. Here in the UK there's currently only one network offering 4G, and that's only in a few major towns, and even then the coverage is patchy.

One thing I find dodgy about 4G contracts (apart from the patchy and sometimes non-existent coverage) is that the download limits are based on 3G usage rates. If you use 4G as the networks intend with lots of streaming etc the bills are likely to go through the roof as traditional monthly limits like 1 and 2GB prove insufficient.

Mark
19th November 2012, 11:16
Well quite, lots of reports saying people go through their data limit in 5 minutes! :eek:

It doesn't help that quite often your phone / tablet will optomise a video stream according to the speed available. So it sees you've got a fast connection and sends a lot more data to up the quality, meaning you burn through your allowance even faster.

race aficionado
19th November 2012, 12:19
I am one of those lucky ones that got unlimited data with AT&T for a great price when this all started. The cool thing is that the deal carries through as I renew the contract.
I am spared the pain of going through my allotted stash every month.
I'm not rubbing it in. :)

Malbec
19th November 2012, 13:51
Google faces 'perfect storm' of legal action from EC and United States FTC | Technology | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/nov/15/google-legal-perfect-storm-android)

Google looks set for a big series of legal showdowns across pretty much all fronts in both Europe and the US.

From a phone point of view Motorola's refusal to grant standards essential patents to Microsoft and Apple is likely to land them in big trouble, as would a finding that providing Android for free is anti-competitive. Lots at stake here.

Mark
20th November 2012, 11:12
Why is it impossible?

Anyway Mr. Sam Sung working for Apple. People say "Why not use Samuel Sung", why should he? Same as a friend of mine goes by Tom Jones rather than Thomas Jones - why? Because that's his name.

Malbec
20th November 2012, 11:12
The heat is off Apple as the major instigator in all this and it'll certainly be amusing to see the reaction.

The truth has always been though that they all sue each other.

Google is in bigger trouble though as they are being looked into by regulators who have serious powers to punish them with fines or force them to change their entire corporate behaviour as the Guardian article shows. Motorola's behaviour also goes much further than Apple, Samsung, Microsoft or just about any other manufacturer in terms of being aggressive in using their patents. The patents they are refusing other companies to use are essential to comply with standards so their behaviour will interest anyone interested in ensuring a free market.

If it was up to me I'd like to see Google, Apple and a few other companies looked into for the way they harvest and use personal information. I'm sure that with the masses they have on us they would infringe some laws and regulations here or in the US.

DonJippo
20th November 2012, 11:40
Jolla mobile will announce their new OS the Sailfish tomorrow,announcement time is Wed. 21st, 11:15 FIN/EET (10:15 CET, 9:15 GMT). You can follow it live from http://www.livestream.com/slush2012mainprogram

DonJippo
20th November 2012, 11:47
This one for Daniel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yDEahsoa_N4

Robinho
21st November 2012, 04:47
Thanks a lot. I think that only Telstra has 4G here, but I am with Optus. Anyway, I will confirm this tomorrow. I won't be using the phone for streaming anyway, as I have an Ultrabook for that.

VB I think Optus have 4G now as well, although neither theirs or Telstra's works much outside the main CBD's and only stretches into a few wider metro areas

Robinho
21st November 2012, 04:53
Thanks for that.

How's the sound?

My carrier only sells the white version. I understand keeping it clean is a bit of an issue.

Sound is fantastic - it come with the preloaded Beats Audio software with does a decent job of enhancing sound quality, plus I got mine with the free Beats Solo headphone. Sure they make me look a tool, but the music sounds great, although they are not so good when you are walking as your footsteps echo if you're wearing shoes not trainers. I also have the white one, I have had no issues with cleanliness so far, but as its a pretty big phone it lives in my pocket on its own when on the move. The gorilla glass is great, no marks after 4 months as I hate those sticky plastic screen protectors - you buy an awesome phone with a nice display and then cover it up with a 50p piece of crap to stop it getting scratched

Big Ben
21st November 2012, 09:43
Sound is fantastic - it come with the preloaded Beats Audio software with does a decent job of enhancing sound quality, plus I got mine with the free Beats Solo headphone. Sure they make me look a tool, but the music sounds great, although they are not so good when you are walking as your footsteps echo if you're wearing shoes not trainers. I also have the white one, I have had no issues with cleanliness so far, but as its a pretty big phone it lives in my pocket on its own when on the move. The gorilla glass is great, no marks after 4 months as I hate those sticky plastic screen protectors - you buy an awesome phone with a nice display and then cover it up with a 50p piece of crap to stop it getting scratched

Well, thanks again. I've just ordered it. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :D

Valve Bounce
21st November 2012, 22:31
Just read an article in today's paper that Samsung are developing a new type of phone that is so small,light,and flexible that it can be placed and folded in a wallet. It can be out as early as next year.

race aficionado
22nd November 2012, 00:37
Darn it! That means I'll lose my phone and wallet at the same time!

Valve Bounce
22nd November 2012, 01:10
Darn it! That means I'll lose my phone and wallet at the same time!

............and credit cards.

On a brighter note, I have been following the prices of the Samsung Galaxy Ace and there is a model S7500 Plus , and the price appears to be creeping down little by little each day.

Dave B
22nd November 2012, 08:30
I can foresee a point where you have a miniscule wearable phone for everyday use, with a screen that folds out or unrolls for browsing or viewing media. Imagine a roll-up projector screen, now shrink it down to cigarette size and have a 6" screen rolled up in your pocket. Type of thing.

BleAivano
22nd November 2012, 09:58
Any S3 owners looking forward to the S4 due in the next couple of months?

i don't think we'll see it in stores until spring time.

Valve Bounce
22nd November 2012, 10:01
OK! I admit that I have been questioning the advantage of having a tablet over the advantages of a Laptop. Imagine when you can have both in the one device:Toshiba Satellite U925T-S2300 Ultrabook (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000040279), Now we can stop babbling about the advantage of a tablet over a laptop - I am waiting till I can lay my hands on one of these at my favorite store. :)

BleAivano
22nd November 2012, 16:22
Well when ever it comes out, doesn't really matter within the purpose of my question.
The specification details are starting to get leaked and being as hardware is an important factor for some of you,
I was wondering if any of you planning to get it and what are your thoughts?

I don't know yet, I usually don't "plan" my purchases that far ahead.

I do would like a new phone but if and when I decide that I can afford to spend
£400-£500 on a new phone, I will take a decision to buy a new phone and
I will look around to see what models are available, how much the cost, what
their specs are and etc. Just regular research.

Then I make a choice and then starts to look around for lowest price and etc.
Maybe a week or two later I buy one.

Unlike many other phone owners, I usually don't buy a new phone just because the
a new model have been released. I only have a HTC Desire now which have served me well
so I intend to replace it sometime next year since I need to. Wether it will be a S4 or
something else I don't know yet.

However if I had an HOX(+) or S3 I would probably not buy an S4 when they come out.

Daniel
22nd November 2012, 23:35
I kind of upgraded early, but only because Caroline had a really rubbish phone and I gave her mine and bought a new one for myself for Christmas. Don't see any point in upgrading early usually though.

Big Ben
23rd November 2012, 08:38
I received my HTC one x yesterday. I'm very pleased with the way it moves but that's no surprise considering I upgraded from an iPhone 3g. I have one major issue though. It seems the phone can't handle secure Wi-Fi connection. I didn't figure out what can I do about it but this really sucks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mark
23rd November 2012, 08:54
No you don't have to upgrade only when there is a new model. But it pays to be aware of the product cycles. As the difference between a few weeks can be a vastly better device for the same money. Or perhaps the same device for less money.

Big Ben
23rd November 2012, 10:15
A quick Google search on your issue and there is quite a few links relating to WiFi problems but many of these date back to March and April of this year. I'd be very surprised if an update hasn't been released for you phone by now. It might be a silly question but have you scanned for updates? HTC claim to have taken note of this issue.

I've been studying the matter but didn't find a fix yet. I updated it yesterday. I have the ICS 4.04 and Sense 4.1. That's what's available up to now. I can only connect to an unsecured wi fi. It's not that much of a problem at home (though I don't like it) since the router is not too good anyway. The signal drops nicely even inside our own little apartment so I won't provide free internet to the whole building. BUT I can see myself coming across this problem very often if I can't fix it.

I've tried to make some changes to the router settings but that's not a good approach. It's the phone that should work with various router settings... at least the common ones

Robinho
23rd November 2012, 10:36
That's not one I've come across since I've had the HTC, its been equally happy connecting to secure or unsecured WiFi. You're on the same software version as me too

Big Ben
23rd November 2012, 11:08
Doesn't seem to be my problem though. The connection is just fine if it's unsecured. It's stable and fast enough. Only when dealing with secured connections it keeps authenticating for a while and then just gives up. I'm not an engineer but that sounds to me more like a software issue.. I might be wrong though. Anyway I'll wait a little.. try this and that... maybe an update will fix it..

Big Ben
23rd November 2012, 11:23
To be honest I don't know if it's that easy in this part of the world...

This is pretty much my problem

Loop obtaining ip address htc one x - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjYNOt0_pg)

Mark
23rd November 2012, 12:48
That depends on the company. There is no such entitlement under law.

Valve Bounce
24th November 2012, 03:53
I received my HTC one x yesterday. I'm very pleased with the way it moves but that's no surprise considering I upgraded from an iPhone 3g. I have one major issue though. It seems the phone can't handle secure Wi-Fi connection. I didn't figure out what can I do about it but this really sucks.

Well, this is a serious issue here in Melbourne. All the latest Netgear modem+routers come secure with an already installed security system and access code.
I am still trying to decide what phone to buy for Christmas,and may settle on a Samsung Ace plus 7500, Sony Xperia, or a Lumia. I'm not in a hurry, and am making do with an ancient Nokia red phone (7 years old). :(

Mark
24th November 2012, 08:27
Insecure wifi is not suitable anyway.

Big Ben
24th November 2012, 09:36
Problem solved. I'm not sure how and if for good but now it works. I went home yesterday, reset the password on my router and then restarted it. After that I told my my phone to forget about the connection, looked again for it and when it asked for the password I also checked the advanced settings options... I thought that will prompt another screen with more wifi settings... but it didn't.. It just connected to the network and worked fine ever since.

Valve Bounce
24th November 2012, 11:15
Happy Ending :)

Big Ben
24th November 2012, 12:31
I'll wait and see how it handles other secured routers. So far I only tested it on mine. I'm not going to ask left and right to reset their routers for me :p . I'm happy though because it doesn't seem to be an hardware issue. That's my amateur opinion at least.

Anyways... I like this phone a lot. It's fast and it looks nice. I like the huge screen and the size hasn't bothered me much so far... and it's slightly lighter than my old iphone. The camera is impressive but then again it must be also the fact that I got so used to the $h1tty camera the iphone has. It's almost useless. I've tried the burst shots, panorama shots... everything worked better than I expected.
I like the OS too. I'm kind of new to the Android and my old phone got stuck to the iOS 4.1 so that's all I can compare it too.
The sound's great.
The battery behaves pretty much as expected. I think I'll be able to get through the normal days with just one charge

As a first impression I'd say I'm happy I switched to Android and at this point I wouldn't touch an iPhone with a stick :p .. but it's early :D

Valve Bounce
25th November 2012, 11:20
I'll wait and see how it handles other secured routers. So far I only tested it on mine. I'm not going to ask left and right to reset their routers for me :p . I'm happy though because it doesn't seem to be an hardware issue. That's my amateur opinion at least.

Anyways... I like this phone a lot. It's fast and it looks nice. I like the huge screen and the size hasn't bothered me much so far... and it's slightly lighter than my old iphone. The camera is impressive but then again it must be also the fact that I got so used to the $h1tty camera the iphone has. It's almost useless. I've tried the burst shots, panorama shots... everything worked better than I expected.
I like the OS too. I'm kind of new to the Android and my old phone got stuck to the iOS 4.1 so that's all I can compare it too.
The sound's great.
The battery behaves pretty much as expected. I think I'll be able to get through the normal days with just one charge

As a first impression I'd say I'm happy I switched to Android and at this point I wouldn't touch an iPhone with a stick :p .. but it's early :D

OK! just doing some research from Oz: how much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? Is it unlocked or linked to a provider with a plan?

race aficionado
25th November 2012, 18:07
I've been on the iPhone user when I changed from BlackBerry to the iPhone 3.
My carrier is AT&T and they had an exclusive with Apple's iPhone until a short while ago when others like Sprint, Verizon were also able to offer the iphone as a phone option.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

I remember seeing adverts that said that AT&T's iPhone offered features that other carriers didn't.
Then I saw this. i thought all iPhones could multitask in terms of talking and surfing the web at the same time. Looks like it's not.
How is it for the iPhone users on the other side of the pond?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/26/5a5a2yhu.jpg

Mark
26th November 2012, 09:57
Well yes, of course you can. Not sure about non-3G networks, but otherwise, yes.

Big Ben
26th November 2012, 11:40
OK! just doing some research from Oz: how much did you pay for it and where did you buy it? Is it unlocked or linked to a provider with a plan?

I paid 180 euros for the phone and I'm chained with a 23 euros/month plan. I live in Romania so I doubt this info will help you much. For some reasons (because they take us for chumps) they are more expensive here than in the first world.

Robinho
26th November 2012, 13:32
Vb, I got the HTC in oz, free phone on $60 per month with optus

Valve Bounce
27th November 2012, 04:41
Vb, I got the HTC in oz, free phone on $60 per month with optus

Well, I do have a plan, a very old plan where I was provided with 2 very basic Motorola phones for $20 per montha 8 years ago. My wife upgraded her phone to an unlocked Nokia, while upgraded to a Motorola Razr 5 years ago, and which I recently lost. These plans are no longer on the market, and I have been advised by an Optus dealer that whatever I do, these plans are so good that I should not ever,ever let them lapse.

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus 7500 :Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 - Full phone specifications (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_plus_s7500-4397.php) for around $200. It should arrive tomorrow (Inshalla) and it becomes my wife's phone,and I will then use her 6 years old Nokia in the interim. If the Samsung is or exceeds what we require, then I will probably order one for myself before Christmas.

Robinho
28th November 2012, 05:18
That's a lot of money to fork out every month on a phone IMO. Unless its used for business of course. Its still 14 quid more a month than I pay, but maybe prices in the Uk are less on these things.

$60 = about 40 quid, my old Orange contract in the UK was 38quid I think. plus I get pretty much unlimited minutes and texts (more than I can use anyway) plus 1.5gb web, plus unlimited facebook, twitter and a couple of other items. Its actually one of the few things that is pretty competitvely priced over here compared to the UK, especially being in WA which seems to have an added premium for most things. plus they are giving away prety much every phone free on these cntracts (except Iphone 5 obviously!) whereas in the UK I found it difficult to get the very latest phones free on a contract/upgrade unless you went to about 60-75 quid a month

CaptainRaiden
28th November 2012, 11:03
I paid 180 euros for the phone and I'm chained with a 23 euros/month plan. I live in Romania so I doubt this info will help you much. For some reasons (because they take us for chumps) they are more expensive here than in the first world.

Yep, I don't get that either. Some of the handset costs and monthly plans in Romania are just ridiculous. I guess only US and UK guys get those super deals. That's why I kept my 10 euros/month plan, added 1 GB extra traffic for 7 euros (I never go over that anyway), and bought my Galaxy S3 on the credit card. I pay much lesser over 2 years this way.

I've been trying to get my Galaxy S3's screen repaired and the guy at the Samsung center at Bucharest quoted me close to 200 euros for the screen replacement AND the warranty being discontinued. Now this is weird, because a friend in Helsinki got his Galaxy S3 screen replaced for 80 euros. Quote in UK was around 80 pounds. I called up the Indian Samsung repair shop, and the quote was 100 euros. So, I'll be getting my phone repaired when I go down there in December.

I really don't get what's the 100 euros extra in Romania for?!? :confused:

Big Ben
28th November 2012, 12:23
Yep, I don't get that either. Some of the handset costs and monthly plans in Romania are just ridiculous. I guess only US and UK guys get those super deals. That's why I kept my 10 euros/month plan, added 1 GB extra traffic for 7 euros (I never go over that anyway), and bought my Galaxy S3 on the credit card. I pay much lesser over 2 years this way.

I've been trying to get my Galaxy S3's screen repaired and the guy at the Samsung center at Bucharest quoted me close to 200 euros for the screen replacement AND the warranty being discontinued. Now this is weird, because a friend in Helsinki got his Galaxy S3 screen replaced for 80 euros. Quote in UK was around 80 pounds. I called up the Indian Samsung repair shop, and the quote was 100 euros. So, I'll be getting my phone repaired when I go down there in December.

I really don't get what's the 100 euros extra in Romania for?!? :confused:

I used to have a 8 euros/month plan and Orange offered me the Galaxy S3 for something close to 500 euros for renewing my contract... :laugh: while I could buy it for around 440 euros unlocked in Media Market in Germany for instance. I don't expect some huge discount for that contract but I still think it's not unreasonable to expect to be at least at the same price as an unlocked device. When they started selling them the price would start from 299 euros... so for a 50 euro/month plan you'd still pay 299 euros for the handset... just ridiculous :laugh:

Malbec
28th November 2012, 13:53
I guess only US and UK guys get those super deals.

The British networks paid off the costs of establishing their infrastructure years ago and the running costs are peanuts, hence why they can charge so little money for phone minutes and texts. Its the one thing where we're better off than other places, usually we get ripped off left right and centre.

The Romanian networks are probably still paying for the cost of establishing the networks and are merely passing some of the cost onto you.

That's why I kept my 10 euros/month plan, added 1 GB extra traffic for 7 euros (I never go over that anyway), and bought my Galaxy S3 on the credit card. I pay much lesser over 2 years this way.

I wouldn't complain too much with that price plan, I'm looking at paying £20 a month for a similar deal to yours, sim only.

Mark
28th November 2012, 14:12
What anything costs is rarely a function of the actual cost of providing a service. The laws of supply and demand outweigh this by some margin. It's probably just that in Romania the competitive marketplace for mobile operators is not yet as firmly established as it is in the UK.

I don't know what the market for mobiles is in Romania but when you have a situation like in the UK where something like 99% of the adult population has a mobile phone, then you see big competition and economies of scale.

Big Ben
28th November 2012, 14:32
I get plenty in my 23 euros/month plan. More than I need:
2000 minutes - same carrier,
2000 SMS - same carrier,
200 minutes - other carriers and international calls,
200 SMS -other carriers
1000 MB internet

Seems ok.

I don't know about other countries but here you have much better deals on prepay. For 9 euros you get 3000, 3000, 150, 150 and 500 (same order as above) for instance.

It's kind of odd.

CaptainRaiden
28th November 2012, 18:12
That sucks about the screen. A couple of my friends have needed replacement screens for their iPhones and its usually a flat cost of around 70 quid. Cheaper than in Romania.

That's near about what I got quoted for the S3 replacement screen in the UK and India. I don't get why it's double that in Romania. When my wife asked the guy at the repair center why it is so much more expensive there, he simply said, "Well, because this is how it is here." Highly confusing. I'm guessing it's just a simple "making an extra 100 euros" exercise at this point.

Still a lot of money and mistakes happen, but that's no reason for franchises to try and rip you off with inflated prices. Would it be worth you losing the phone Captain? ;)

The phone works great so far, even with the cracks. I'm able to play games, read everything fine. All the touch screen functions work as good as before. I just don't want to pay double for a simple replacement for no apparent reason. Since I go down to India in December anyway, makes sense to get it repaired then. ;)

CaptainRaiden
28th November 2012, 18:26
The British networks paid off the costs of establishing their infrastructure years ago and the running costs are peanuts, hence why they can charge so little money for phone minutes and texts. Its the one thing where we're better off than other places, usually we get ripped off left right and centre.

The Romanian networks are probably still paying for the cost of establishing the networks and are merely passing some of the cost onto you.

It's not just that, but a lot of other stuff is more expensive here. I had a chat with two of my acquaintances who visited Romania, one British and one from Dubai (filthy rich), and they couldn't believe how expensive groceries were in supermarkets. In particular, the British guy said they find food much cheaper in British supermarkets.

The Google Nexus 7 is more than $100 more expensive here than anywhere else. Like I said in my reply to henners above, I'm being asked 100 euros more for the same Galaxy S3 screen and digitizer replacement in Bucharest compared to Helsinki, Cardiff and Mumbai.

I'm guessing it's some mystery tax levied by the hated government or just because their economy is pants ATM.

I wouldn't complain too much with that price plan, I'm looking at paying £20 a month for a similar deal to yours, sim only.

Yep, my deal is quite similar. I forgot to add above that it was 12 euros for 1 GB extra, so I pay a total of 22 euros monthly, which is more than good enough, no complaints.

CaptainRaiden
28th November 2012, 18:37
I don't know about other countries but here you have much better deals on prepay. For 9 euros you get 3000, 3000, 150, 150 and 500 (same order as above) for instance.

Naah, I am an Indian, and we've got better prepaid plans, while Romania has much better postpaid plans (even if so expensive). :D

You can't find flagship smartphones even with half off offers with postpaid in India. Most of the time you have to pay the full amount. I guess it's because of too much population to keep track of, lack of better mobile infrastructure, lack of a unique ID code, and more people willing to scam the companies and run away. :p

Besides if they started providing smartphones at 0 initial cost and a $40 monthly rental, the supply would be ridiculously behind the demand.

This is why telecom companies in India concentrate on providing better prepaid business, and you get many more options and bang for your buck than postpaid.

ioan
1st December 2012, 12:05
It's not just that, but a lot of other stuff is more expensive here. I had a chat with two of my acquaintances who visited Romania, one British and one from Dubai (filthy rich), and they couldn't believe how expensive groceries were in supermarkets. In particular, the British guy said they find food much cheaper in British supermarkets.

The Google Nexus 7 is more than $100 more expensive here than anywhere else. Like I said in my reply to henners above, I'm being asked 100 euros more for the same Galaxy S3 screen and digitizer replacement in Bucharest compared to Helsinki, Cardiff and Mumbai.

I'm guessing it's some mystery tax levied by the hated government or just because their economy is pants ATM.

Yep, my deal is quite similar. I forgot to add above that it was 12 euros for 1 GB extra, so I pay a total of 22 euros monthly, which is more than good enough, no complaints.

Yep, the problem in Romania is that people simply pay whatever they are asked for, even though they are being paid peanuts salaries.
If you want cheap and good quality groceries in Romania then avoid the supermarkets and go to the market where the peasants sell their crops.

ioan
1st December 2012, 12:09
As far as phone plans I have found Austria one of the best places up to now, for 35 Euro/month I get 1000 minutes to call in all European countries as well as 3 GBs High Speed data (after the 3GB are reached the download/upload speed will be limited to a slower rate, but will still work for no additional costs) and I get a new smartphone of my choice every 2 years, for free. I can easily live with this.

Valve Bounce
1st December 2012, 23:01
Yep, the problem in Romania is that people simply pay whatever they are asked for, even though they are being paid peanuts salaries.
If you want cheap and good quality groceries in Romania then avoid the supermarkets and go to the market where the peasants sell their crops.

Any chance of picking up a mobile phone or tablet at a good price at these markets? Maybe one that has been slightly used?

CaptainRaiden
3rd December 2012, 11:34
As far as phone plans I have found Austria one of the best places up to now, for 35 Euro/month I get 1000 minutes to call in all European countries as well as 3 GBs High Speed data (after the 3GB are reached the download/upload speed will be limited to a slower rate, but will still work for no additional costs) and I get a new smartphone of my choice every 2 years, for free. I can easily live with this.

That's an amazing deal!

CaptainRaiden
3rd December 2012, 11:36

That's good for fruits and vegetables, but a lot of other daily stuff that we need, found mostly only in supermarkets, is grossly overpriced. I think that's because a lot of stuff isn't manufactured here, but instead imported, and that results in higher prices.

For example, I found a Kiwi shoe shiner in a Romanian supermarket the other day stamped with "Made in India", and about 4 times the price of what you can get it in India for. :p

gadjo_dilo
3rd December 2012, 12:59
That's good for fruits and vegetables, but a lot of other daily stuff that we need, found mostly only in supermarkets, is grossly overpriced. I think that's because a lot of stuff isn't manufactured here, but instead imported, and that results in higher prices.
Ironically, even at the "peasant market" ( where I suppose you've already noticed the ones who sell aren't the producers but guys who buy cheap and increase the price about a few times ) in most of the cases products aren't exactly romanian but displayed as romanian.
Then all jonathan apples are presented as coming from Voinesti -which is practically impossible, all nuts are from Vrancea, all potatoes are from Covasna, etc.
If you want cheaper products forget supermarkets and go to hypermarkets, the difference is considerable.

For example, I found a Kiwi shoe shiner in a Romanian supermarket the other day stamped with "Made in India", and about 4 times the price of what you can get it in India for. :p
Import taxes + transport costs+ a VAT of 24%+ a consistent profit for retailer+etc. etc.etc.?

Btw, I can't understand a thing. There are some indian soaps on tv and some indian housekeepers are presented at the market ( ironically they always complain about the high prices ) buying some absurd quantities of vegetables. For ex they ask for 1/4 kilo of cauliflower, 1/2 kilo of eggplants, 1/4 kilo of tomatoes - despite cooking for at least 5 persons. And then I come back to our market where no "peasant" will admit to sell less than 1 kilo. Can't really understand what you eat....Don't think that I've ever seen a cauliflower of 1/4 kg.....

As for the difference of 100 euros, I suppose you know that romanians have a crazy appetite for gadgets of all kind. Most of them buy products without even knowing to use their all functions just because they want to look trendy.
Who cares if you're torn in the a*s and buried in debts if you have the latest model of phone/tablet?

CaptainRaiden
3rd December 2012, 13:14
Import taxes + transport costs+ a VAT of 24%+ a consistent profit for retailer+etc. etc.etc.?

Well, of course. I guess it would help if Romania could mass produce a lot of daily use products themselves. Would help offset the cost of importing and make it easier for their citizens.

Btw, I can't understand a thing. There are some indian soaps on tv and some indian housekeepers are presented at the market ( ironically they always complain about the high prices ) buying some absurd quantities of vegetables. For ex they ask for 1/4 kilo of cauliflower, 1/2 kilo of eggplants, 1/4 kilo of tomatoes - despite cooking for at least 5 persons. And then I come back to our market where no "peasant" will admit to sell less than 1 kilo. Can't really understand what you eat....Don't think that I've ever seen a cauliflower of 1/4 kg.....

You're making the mistake of guessing buying and eating habits of a country of 1.2 billion by their soap operas all pretty much produced in one state. :p

Nobody buys like that, at least I remember my mother didn't. ;)

As for the difference of 100 euros, I suppose you know that romanians have a crazy appetite for gadgets of all kind. Most of them buy products without even knowing to use their all functions just because they want to look trendy.
Who cares if you're torn in the a*s and buried in debts if you have the latest model of phone/tablet?

I guess you're not aware of the context I mentioned those 100 euros in above. In short, my Galaxy S3 fell on the concrete and the front glass cracked. My wife called the authorized Samsung repair center in Bucharest, they quoted me 200 euros. I checked through my friends in Cardiff, UK and Helsinki, Finland for the exact same repair (front screen and digitizer replacement) from the authorized Samsung repair center, and were quoted 80 euros. I called up the authorized Samsung repair center in Mumbai, India, and was quoted 100 euros. What I don't understand is why are they asking me double price in Romania. :confused:

gadjo_dilo
3rd December 2012, 13:45
Well, of course. I guess it would help if Romania could mass produce a lot of daily use products themselves. Would help offset the cost of importing and make it easier for their citizens.:
Ha! Why do you think we were admitted in EU?
As for the citizens, who do think of them ?

You're making the mistake of guessing buying and eating habits of a country of 1.2 billion by their soap operas all pretty much produced in one state. :p

Nobody buys like that, at least I remember my mother didn't. ;) .

Might be true but at the same time I think the target of the soap is the 1.2 billion not only a state. They should recognize themselves in the characters....

I guess you're not aware of the context I mentioned those 100 euros in above. In short, my Galaxy S3 fell on the concrete and the front glass cracked. My wife called the authorized Samsung repair center in Bucharest, they quoted me 200 euros. I checked through my friends in Cardiff, UK and Helsinki, Finland for the exact same repair (front screen and digitizer replacement) from the authorized Samsung repair center, and were quoted 80 euros. I called up the authorized Samsung repair center in Mumbai, India, and was quoted 100 euros. What I don't understand is why are they asking me double price in Romania. :confused:

My dost, supply and demand rules are different here :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
3rd December 2012, 16:50
Ha! Why do you think we were admitted in EU?

Fair enough. I wasn't aware of that.

Might be true but at the same time I think the target of the soap is the 1.2 billion not only a state. They should recognize themselves in the characters....

Not the 1.2 billion, but the Hindi speaking states, which are much lesser than that. Besides, by now you should know that TV and cinema exaggerate and sometimes understate a lot of things. Having been to the US, I can assure you that a very large percentage of American families don't look or behave like the ones in Hollywood movies. ;)

Another thing to keep in mind is that people from different households in India buy groceries differently. So, a poor family will buy half of what a middle class family would, and the rich families buy in bulk.

My dost, supply and demand rules are different here :laugh:

Can you please elaborate?

CaptainRaiden
4th December 2012, 10:05
I live in Cardiff so you could always post it to me to get repaired if this city has a registered repair outlet :)

Thanks for the offer, Henners. :) But I'll be flying down to Mumbai for Christmas and will get the phone repaired then.

gadjo_dilo
4th December 2012, 10:19
Can you please elaborate?

Kinda hard as I don't have the words with me ( if you know what I mean ). :laugh:
The basic idea is that romanian capitalism is a bit different.
Just as our style of work is different. I mean we don't work traditionally, we aren’t lazy, on the contrary we are rather active but we are "resourceful" ( taking the pejorative meaning of this word ), we "do arrangements", we "run to".
As well, our businesses are based on " a da un tun " – „to give a gun” meaning to get a rapid gain mainly on illicit bases. Our business world is dominated by „smart” guys, „sly”guys and those who knows to „spin around”.
On these circumstances our merchants aren’t interested in selling a lot of stuff with a reasonable profit but to sell a few items with a big profit. Even the „sales” season is a farse, they increase the price a week before sales starts and then pretend they reduced the price.
Take a walk on Calea Victoriei and you’ll see a lot of shops with no clients. What’s the reason to pay a prohibitive rent when your activity is low?

CaptainRaiden
5th December 2012, 11:54
Well, it's frustrating.

And just to make it clear, I'm not a cheap-ass or enjoying keeping my phone with the front screen cracked. I will just not pay double the amount out of principle, because I will not make the swindlers richer. Besides I'm not getting anything extra out of it.

CaptainRaiden
5th December 2012, 12:08
In other news:

Samsung Galaxy S4 release date, news and rumours | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-release-date-news-and-rumours-1089523)

I guess I'm happy with my S3 for another few years for now. The S4 so far seems to have things I'm not really interested in. Edge to edge display is not my thing, neither is flexible display. A 5 inch 1080p display would probably be too much for a phone, unless they can come up with a battery double the capacity of the 2100 mAh one in the S3.

As far as on the processing side, they're talking about an octo core chip! :eek: Now that IMO is just too much, as the quad core processors and current smartphone GPUs have all bases covered for now, and I don't see any blazing new graphic intensive games for Android or super HD movies being played on the phone right now or over the next two years. They're also talking about putting in a mini projector, which on a phone sounds gimmicky.

So well, based on the market right now and the tech forecast, Galaxy S3, HTC One X and iPhone 5 users can breathe a sigh of relief that their tech won't be outdated for quite a while. ;)

Mark
5th December 2012, 12:14
The Samsung S3 is already ahead of the iPhone 5 in many ways, the S4 has the potential to blow it away completely. Especially if the 5S/6 isn't out until late next year.

Big Ben
5th December 2012, 12:24
I've read parts of that article and it sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

CaptainRaiden
5th December 2012, 12:37
I've read parts of that article and it sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

While I admit an octo core chip would be an overkill and unlikely as of now, the rest of the rumored stuff is already present in some other phones. Edge to edge for example in Motorola's Razer max, Sony Odin will have a 5 inch 1080p display, and Samsung has patented and has been working on flexible displays and thinner storage for quite a while now.

IMO the Galaxy S4 will have a higher frequency quad core (possibly six core) processor with LTE, NFC, wireless charging, around 2 GB RAM, the usual storage, possibly going up to 128 GB even with a microSD slot, and some extra Samsung specific features like in the S3. These would be more realistic upgrades to the current S3.

Mark
5th December 2012, 13:49
To be honest my iPhone 5 is plenty powerful enough for most things people do on a smartphone. Even if I had an S3 or an S4 I'd still only be sending emails, surfing the net, looking at facebook, twitter, youtube, tapatalk, texting and calling people, pictures video's etc etc. It does all those things fast and has never frozen on me in the 2 or so months I have been using it. On top of that its a bloody nice looking phone. I think its been proven that spec means diddly squat as long as you are happy with your device and it does everything you have bought it to do.. That goes for any phone model people choose :)

Yes, true, but the idea of the iPhone has always been the best phone money can buy, that is no longer the case.

Mark
5th December 2012, 14:10
The S3 is an excellent phone and I'm surprised the S4 is being announced so soon. I suppose by the time it comes out it'll nearly be a year but you'd think Samsung would take note of how many people bought the S3 and are likely to be on 24 month contracts. Then again with it being announced Apple have dominated the market and overtaken Android of late with the release of the iPhone 5, its perhaps needed. How did Apple regain so much of the market? Wasn't their market share 37 or 38% back in the summer? That's massive growth for a phone many dubbed as a disappointment.

I don't see why it's a big surprise. Apple have done yearly announcements for years now.

Mark
5th December 2012, 14:24
Samsung you mean? Or was that in relation to the market growth?

No I mean Apple. They do yearly announcements, I don't see why it should be a surprise when Samsung do the same.

Dave B
5th December 2012, 19:14
In other news:

Samsung Galaxy S4 release date, news and rumours | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-release-date-news-and-rumours-1089523)

I guess I'm happy with my S3 for another few years for now. The S4 so far seems to have things I'm not really interested in. Edge to edge display is not my thing, neither is flexible display. A 5 inch 1080p display would probably be too much for a phone, unless they can come up with a battery double the capacity of the 2100 mAh one in the S3.

As far as on the processing side, they're talking about an octo core chip! :eek: Now that IMO is just too much, as the quad core processors and current smartphone GPUs have all bases covered for now, and I don't see any blazing new graphic intensive games for Android or super HD movies being played on the phone right now or over the next two years. They're also talking about putting in a mini projector, which on a phone sounds gimmicky.

So well, based on the market right now and the tech forecast, Galaxy S3, HTC One X and iPhone 5 users can breathe a sigh of relief that their tech won't be outdated for quite a while. ;)
With the caveat that the article is based on rumours, this could be the first time I've upgraded before my contract runs out. I'm finding that I'm already pushing my S3 to its limit and beginning to find its limitations - you don't realise that you'll use some features until you get the phone in your hand. I'm actually quite excited about the idea of a full-HD screen: I'm shooting videos of the little'un in 1080 and editing them on the handset, which is pushing the screen and the processor quite a bit, not to mention the potential for taking on the likes of the Wii U for portable gamine. I can't see the point of a projector, the ones built into other phones are utterly useless and the handset can already "talk" to projectors via HDMI or DNLA.

Dave B
5th December 2012, 20:10
My advice would be to get a decent camcorder Dave. They are only babies for a very short time and you want footage of the best quality to view in years to come and not filmed on a phone with a crap lens (good for a phone no doubt). I know phones are more convenient but in my experience you end up regretting it. I went to Belgium last month and used my phone for pictures a little more than I intended. What I have are some very nice photo's for Facebook, but not pictures I could edit and print out. The sensor on most top end smartphones brags so many megapixels but its the glass that captures the quality. I look at some of the pictures I took and wish I had taken the time to pull my DSLR out of my bag. :\
Sometimes the best camera is the one you have with you. Sorry, rewind: CLICHÉ KLAXON! Anyway, I pretty much always have my phone for those unexpected moments, whereas I tend to only take my SLR to special occasions. Yes my SLR obviously trumps the phone's camera, but the convenience wins far more often. The same would apply with a dedicated camcorder to the point where I doubt I could justify the cost, you'd be looking at the wrong side of 500 quid to make it a worthwhile leap in quality - the footage taken with my S3 is surprisingly good provided there's reasonable light (admittedly it's damn near hopeless in poor light). Then factor in the lack of features on a camcorder - I'd miss the ability to edit down clips to email, or to stream wirelessly to a telly.

Valve Bounce
5th December 2012, 23:05
Thanks for the offer, Henners. :) But I'll be flying down to Mumbai for Christmas and will get the phone repaired then.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new phone in Mumbai?

Valve Bounce
5th December 2012, 23:07
The Samsung S3 is already ahead of the iPhone 5 in many ways, the S4 has the potential to blow it away completely. Especially if the 5S/6 isn't out until late next year.

I have acquired a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus s7500, and we have finally worked out last night how to answer a call.

BleAivano
6th December 2012, 01:23
I have acquired a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus s7500, and we have finally worked out last night how to answer a call.

Is it one of these modern phones that can do everything except the phone part?

Valve Bounce
6th December 2012, 03:08
Is it one of these modern phones that can do everything except the phone part?

Toanswer a call, I have to tap on the green phone then drag it sideways to the edge.
But yeah! it will do a lot, but I havn't figured out how to do it yet. :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
6th December 2012, 10:50
To be honest my iPhone 5 is plenty powerful enough for most things people do on a smartphone. Even if I had an S3 or an S4 I'd still only be sending emails, surfing the net, looking at facebook, twitter, youtube, tapatalk, texting and calling people, pictures video's etc etc. It does all those things fast and has never frozen on me in the 2 or so months I have been using it. On top of that its a bloody nice looking phone. I think its been proven that spec means diddly squat as long as you are happy with your device and it does everything you have bought it to do.. That goes for any phone model people choose :)

Maybe not for you henners, but for a lot of other people, specs do matter. Many people do a lot of hardware intensive stuff on their phones too. Smartphones have transitioned nicely into being used as potent handheld gaming devices, designing and editing tools as well. Phone companies won't be displaying benchmark testing results or even show specs at all if that weren't the case. Samsung, HTC and now Sony are battling hard in the specs arena for a reason. Apple was pretty much forced to raise the specs dramatically for the iPhone 5 under public scrutiny.

For the things you do with your smartphone, as you mentioned above, you don't need an iPhone 5. :D An iPhone 4 or a Galaxy S would be more than enough. ;)

CaptainRaiden
6th December 2012, 10:53
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new phone in Mumbai?

?

Umm, no. Since I already have a Galaxy S3 (costs about $600), I'm not looking for a newer phone. Its screen is cracked, and since I go home for Christmas, would make sense to get it repaired for less.

CaptainRaiden
6th December 2012, 11:00
With the caveat that the article is based on rumours, this could be the first time I've upgraded before my contract runs out. I'm finding that I'm already pushing my S3 to its limit and beginning to find its limitations - you don't realise that you'll use some features until you get the phone in your hand. I'm actually quite excited about the idea of a full-HD screen: I'm shooting videos of the little'un in 1080 and editing them on the handset, which is pushing the screen and the processor quite a bit, not to mention the potential for taking on the likes of the Wii U for portable gamine. I can't see the point of a projector, the ones built into other phones are utterly useless and the handset can already "talk" to projectors via HDMI or DNLA.

I'll be honest I haven't done any video editing on the S3 yet. I'm more comfortable with Adobe Premiere on the PC for that. But I can see your point. The thing is for an octo core chip + a 5 inch 1080p screen, the battery would have to be gigantic, even bigger than the one Motorola crammed into their phone. Still I don't see it lasting very long.

I cycle around 10 of my favorite 720p movies + music on my 64 gig card, and some top of the line games installed on the phone memory, for a nice little entertainment unit during commute or just relaxing. Some games like Dead Trigger on full graphics do push the S3 to its limits, but apart from that it seems to handle things fine, and I doubt I'll be upgrading to the S4. BUT only time will tell. :p

CaptainRaiden
6th December 2012, 11:17
It would have been but the iPhone 5 is a nicer looking phone and I wanted the most up to date iPhone.

So, you did buy the phone for more than just basic smartphone functions. Same way, some people buy other flagships because it offers kickass hardware for things they wanna do on top of basic smartphone functions. There's a market for both types of consumers, and whether the S4 will blow the current flagships out of the water is relevant to lots of folks.

I probably don't push the phone to its full capabilities but very few people I know do in reality. I don't play games on it, I certainly don't need it for video editing or designing anything on.

You do realize that for the iPhone 5, Apple upped the hardware to appeal to handheld gamers and widened the screen to handle HD movies better, right?

For everything else, like I said, the older iPhone 4 is more than enough.

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 10:27
I am also aware of that too, I own one. It is nice to watch the odd video on, I wouldn't wish to watch a full movie on it though. I am aware some people use their phones for this purpose and that's all gravy.

The iPhone 4 does all the things I presently do on an iPhone and my old HTC did all the things I presently need it to do. I didn't see the point in upgrading to a phone older than my previous one when there is a brand new flagship of the brand out at the moment. I liked the iPhone so I bought it. I still like it and not only does it do all the things I am used to doing, but its also a lot more pleasurable to use. I haven't really needed to look back :)

Then discussions around specs or performance really shouldn't bother you. ;)

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 11:01
They only bother me when I am told something I own is a load of crap based on something someone else feels is important.

I don't think anybody here said the iPhone 5 is a piece of crap TBH.

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 11:34
A figure of speech. The general tone of this thread at times has not been very complimentary, so we can draw our own conclusions on that or apply our own takes on the terminology.

I think Mark was only stating the S3 is ahead of the iPhone 5 in some ways, which is a fact. And the S4 will most likely blow all current flagships out of the water, very likely a fact. All purely based on hardware specs. Nobody disputed the usability or the aesthetics of any current smartphone.

The rest of my post stands though in relation to telling each other what should and not not bother us.

Great! Now we're in the same boat! :p

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 11:47
OT, but a recent annoyance. Apple sell their Quicktime Pro media player for $30 and it doesn't have a freaking playlist feature.

VLC player gives it for free.

Bloody crooks Apple are. :mad:

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 12:02
I don't use Quicktime as I've always thought it was crap. I've used VLC since the early part of last decade.

I use VLC for everything else myself.

I was trying to play some .MOV videos, which were encoded weirdly and getting stuck in VLC, so I thought Quicktime would play it better. These are small 2-3 minutes videos (tutorials for a software I'm learning) I'm watching on my TV through the PC, and lots of them, and so I have to get up every few minutes to open a new one.

I thought maybe pro would have a playlist feature, but a quick Google search said otherwise. Thank goodness I didn't fall for that trap.

Mark
7th December 2012, 13:16

My boss says that it is cos he's got one.

janneppi
7th December 2012, 14:47
I'm sort of considering getting new hardware and I'm not sure where to go. I'm tempted to get a stupidly expensive big screen phone to replace my trusty old Nokia. Or I keep the thing for when outside the house and get a 7" tablet for indoor use.

A question to those who have used these things, what kind of usage do you get with these devices? Especially comparing big phone vs small tablet?

Dave B
7th December 2012, 17:21
A question to those who have used these things, what kind of usage do you get with these devices? Especially comparing big phone vs small tablet?
As someone with a 4.8" phone screen and a 7" tablet, I can tell you that in my case the tablet tends to sit gathering dust while the phone gets a right hammering. For anything vaguely productive I use a laptop as you simply can't beat a proper keyboard for typing, but the phone gets used for casual gaming, social media, 80% of my browsing, a huge amount of pics and video, and for adding things to my shopping order as and when I think of them. It's always on me, so becomes my go-to device for most tasks.

Personally I'd get the biggest screen phone you feel comfortable with and forget a tablet, but as ever only you can make that decision. Some people can't get on with huge touchscreens, others find the tiny-weeny iPhone style screens a bit quaint. If I was buying a phone today I'd probably go for a Galaxy Note 2 or a Nexus 4.

As ever, go and play with then in stores or borrow your friends' devices, and make your own decision based on your needs :)

janneppi
7th December 2012, 18:00
Thanks for the opinion Dave. That's in line with what friend of mine advised.

As ever, go and play with then in stores or borrow your friends' devices, and make your own decision based on your needs :)
To be honest, I'll probably do what others have done, pick a phone on the way it looks and then move my goalposts to suit it best and then argue passionately about how it's best for my needs and the things others have chosen are scheiße.

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 18:22
I'm sort of considering getting new hardware and I'm not sure where to go. I'm tempted to get a stupidly expensive big screen phone to replace my trusty old Nokia. Or I keep the thing for when outside the house and get a 7" tablet for indoor use.

The smartphone will fit in your jeans pocket while the tablet won't. I haven't found one good use of a tablet in my experience. I use the laptop or a PC for anything that my smartphone can't do. More than that, I guess this flowchart below should help: :p

http://edublog.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/100329-buy_ipad_flowchart.jpg

CaptainRaiden
7th December 2012, 18:25
My boss says that it is cos he's got one.

Oh no, what have you done! Tell your boss to look out for a guy called henners with a crowbar. :D

Hell hath no fury like a henners scorned. :p

Valve Bounce
8th December 2012, 04:59
Hi Guys,

I just happened onto this website where I have ordered a sleeveless jacket for around $30 including shipping.Then I started researching this website and found this stock of mobile phones, some of which I have never heard of. SmartPhone Cell Phone, Mobile Cell Phones, Smart Phone (http://www.dinodirect.com/cell-phones-smartphones/) including this one: Huawei U8836D/G500 Pro Android OS 4.0 4.3'' Dual Core MTK6577 1GB RAM GPS WIFI 3G Phone - DinoDirect.com (http://www.dinodirect.com/pro-android-os-4-0-4-3-dual-core-mtk6577-1gb-ram-gps-wifi-3g-u8836d-g500-phone.html?AdAnalytics=111|0018|521925|2|0)

and I wonder what you guys think.

Dave B
8th December 2012, 09:09
Hi Guys,

I just happened onto this website where I have ordered a sleeveless jacket for around $30 including shipping.Then I started researching this website and found this stock of mobile phones, some of which I have never heard of. SmartPhone Cell Phone, Mobile Cell Phones, Smart Phone (http://www.dinodirect.com/cell-phones-smartphones/) including this one: Huawei U8836D/G500 Pro Android OS 4.0 4.3'' Dual Core MTK6577 1GB RAM GPS WIFI 3G Phone - DinoDirect.com (http://www.dinodirect.com/pro-android-os-4-0-4-3-dual-core-mtk6577-1gb-ram-gps-wifi-3g-u8836d-g500-phone.html?AdAnalytics=111|0018|521925|2|0)

and I wonder what you guys think.
AT first glance it looks like the Chinese no-names you get on eBay for a similar price, but wrapped up in a shiny template website. I've never heard of the retailer so immediately I'd be on guard.

Then five seconds on Google brings up tons of complaints (they've taken my money, never got the goods kind of thing), for example this site:
17 Complaints and Reviews about DinoDirect (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/dinodirect.html)

Personally I'd avoid them like the proverbial. If you feel you really must use them, do you have an equivalent of the Consumer Credit Act? In the UK, in the case of payments over £100 on a credit (not debit) card, the card issuer is jointly liable in the event of an unfulfilled order.

Dave B
8th December 2012, 09:16
To be honest, I'll probably do what others have done, pick a phone on the way it looks and then move my goalposts to suit it best and then argue passionately about how it's best for my needs and the things others have chosen are scheiße.
Nicely done :laugh: :up:

Valve Bounce
8th December 2012, 11:17
AT first glance it looks like the Chinese no-names you get on eBay for a similar price, but wrapped up in a shiny template website. I've never heard of the retailer so immediately I'd be on guard.

Then five seconds on Google brings up tons of complaints (they've taken my money, never got the goods kind of thing), for example this site:
17 Complaints and Reviews about DinoDirect (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/retail/dinodirect.html)

Personally I'd avoid them like the proverbial. If you feel you really must use them, do you have an equivalent of the Consumer Credit Act? In the UK, in the case of payments over £100 on a credit (not debit) card, the card issuer is jointly liable in the event of an unfulfilled order.

Damn!! I wish I checked first. I only bought a sleeveless jacket for $30 and paid for it with Paypal. Is there some safety arrangement with Paypal if I don't receive what I bought? I just hopeI am not $30 poorer but $30 wiser :(

ioan
10th December 2012, 19:50
Kinda hard as I don't have the words with me ( if you know what I mean ). :laugh:
The basic idea is that romanian capitalism is a bit different.
Just as our style of work is different. I mean we don't work traditionally, we aren’t lazy, on the contrary we are rather active but we are "resourceful" ( taking the pejorative meaning of this word ), we "do arrangements", we "run to".
As well, our businesses are based on " a da un tun " – „to give a gun” meaning to get a rapid gain mainly on illicit bases. Our business world is dominated by „smart” guys, „sly”guys and those who knows to „spin around”.
On these circumstances our merchants aren’t interested in selling a lot of stuff with a reasonable profit but to sell a few items with a big profit. Even the „sales” season is a farse, they increase the price a week before sales starts and then pretend they reduced the price.
Take a walk on Calea Victoriei and you’ll see a lot of shops with no clients. What’s the reason to pay a prohibitive rent when your activity is low?

We rarely agree but on this one you're 100% right.

ioan
10th December 2012, 19:56

The iPhone 5 is an overpriced piece of crap! There you have it. :p

ioan
10th December 2012, 20:00

Best post in this thread! Sums it up pretty well too! :up: ;)

gadjo_dilo
11th December 2012, 08:14
We rarely agree but on this one you're 100% right.

Really ? Maybe because it's the Christmas spirit that makes this possible...

Big Ben
11th December 2012, 08:39
I upgraded to Android 4.1.1 and HTC Sense 4+ (am I the only one who thinks it's strange that 4+ comes after 4.1?). The power saver option seems to be working pretty well... the only problem is that it doesn't help that much to have a battery that lasts for 1.5 days instead of 1.... but the extra juice may come in handy at any time.

SGWilko
11th December 2012, 09:35
OT, but a recent annoyance. Apple sell their Quicktime Pro media player for $30 and it doesn't have a freaking playlist feature.

VLC player gives it for free.

Bloody crooks Apple are. :mad:

You can run iTunes free on any version of Windows. Some iterations of Apple PC OS required a paid for upgrade before you could run the latest version of iTunes......

CaptainRaiden
11th December 2012, 09:44
I upgraded to Android 4.1.1 and HTC Sense 4+ (am I the only one who thinks it's strange that 4+ comes after 4.1?).

Android 4.1 is the OS, and HTC Sense is the UI (user interface) made by HTC as a skin for their phones, the two things are not quite the same thing. ;)

The power saver option seems to be working pretty well... the only problem is that it doesn't help that much to have a battery that lasts for 1.5 days instead of 1.... but the extra juice may come in handy at any time.

That's the deal with all smartphones. Motorola's Razer and Samsung's Galaxy S3 have two of the biggest batteries currently, but even they don't last longer than 1 or 1.5 days with all the radios (Wi-fi, GPS, 3G data etc.) on.

Try this - Juice Defender (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender&feature=search_result)

It's pretty much halved my battery usage and now the phone can go on for 2 days and sometimes even more. Plus there's no choppiness or slowdown that you get with Android's own battery saving option. I'm using the aggressive option right now. It's so good that I'm going to buy the ultimate version before my travel for the "extreme" option, which hopefully will make the phone last even longer.

Big Ben
11th December 2012, 10:36
Android 4.1 is the OS, and HTC Sense is the UI (user interface) made by HTC as a skin for their phones, the two things are not quite the same thing. ;)

I understand that. My comment was vis a vis the HTC Sense version 4.1 I had before 4+

Maybe I'll try the Juice Defender but right now I'm operating within the limits so battery is not so much of a problem yet

Mark
11th December 2012, 10:58
On Click at the weekend they were reviewing the latest tablets and they didn't like the Surface at all. Basically saying that it looks like the designers actually wanted to make a laptop, but failed in that aim. But then said for use as a tablet the reporter would be able to cancel their gym membership it was that heavy.

CaptainRaiden
11th December 2012, 11:34
I understand that. My comment was vis a vis the HTC Sense version 4.1 I had before 4+

Ah okay, my bad then. Maybe HTC thinks + is greater than 4.2. :p

Maybe I'll try the Juice Defender but right now I'm operating within the limits so battery is not so much of a problem yet

The free version is what I am using right now, and it's pretty much doubled the battery time. In any case it'd be helpful.

donKey jote
11th December 2012, 19:48
Try this - Juice Defender (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender&feature=search_result)

will do, cheers ! :bandit:

Mark
13th December 2012, 09:57
The Google Maps app is now available on iOS. This is a great day :D

SGWilko
13th December 2012, 09:59

How embarrasing - number 1 rival OS manufacturers 3rd party app is infinately superior and, more importantly, accurate, than your own.

Wack, wack, oooops!

SGWilko
13th December 2012, 10:53
I just got it and having a play around with it. Nice app, easy to follow and the street view edition is good too. Obviously this is all available on Google devices but its nice to have it back on iOS. Dare I say I prefer the Apple Maps interface when the actual navigation part is enabled, but Google wins hands down for actually producing a system that gets you to your destination most of the time!

The app certainly improves my overpriced piece of crap that bit more and brings it slightly closer to the other flagship models that not only blows it away, but get you more respect amongst the internets. The only saving grace is it looks good next to my ear or nicer on the dashboard when navigating using 'Google' Maps. I can hang my head in shame at traffic lights when hotties pull up alongside and look down on me as they will know I chose my iPhone purely for looks rather than application and that I am pathetically attempting to get to the that client without the use of its default mapping. Oh well, thanks to Google for saving my backside.

Should silence a few of the critics for now. :)

Made me chuckle. You might just 'pull' the hotties that pull up next to you, as they'll assume you are loaded....

;)

SGWilko
13th December 2012, 12:11
True. It wouldn't be the first time I have had to palm the 'hotties' off me after pulling my iPhone out my pocket to answer a call whilst sipping away in Whetherspoons. Often leaving a melee of hair pulling and slaps as multiple girls argue over who saw me and my iPhone first. I am married so I don't get a chance to use the 'I've got an iPhone, fancy coming to bed with me at the end of the night' yarn. This does work btw. Of course some of my friends look smugly on as they sit by the bar watching repeats of Eastenders streamed in stunning full high definition on the fantastic screen the Samsung Galaxy S3 boasts. I just have to put up with this unwanted attention and accept its just another one of the many drawbacks the iPhone comes with. That'll teach me for being vain and moving far too many goalposts to accommodate my extravagant purchase. :)

It's a dirty job, but someones gotta do it!!! :p

Dave B
13th December 2012, 12:12
But can you set it to default yet? :p

Dave B
13th December 2012, 12:18
I don't know how to turn Nokia Maps off as the default on mine, so I doubt I'll ever work that out. Whenever I've encountered a web page with a map link, it nearly always says Nokia as the provider. Strange.
That sounds like whoever wrote the web page simply embedded a link to Nokia's maps, that can't be changed without getting them to re-write the website.

What you're missing, though, is the ability to tell iOS that Google Maps should be the default to open any address (eg from your contacts, when you search for a business or directions etc). It's one of those omissions that IMO stops iOS being a polished user experience.

Valve Bounce
14th December 2012, 07:31
I just got it and having a play around with it. Nice app, easy to follow and the street view edition is good too. Obviously this is all available on Google devices but its nice to have it back on iOS. Dare I say I prefer the Apple Maps interface when the actual navigation part is enabled, but Google wins hands down for actually producing a system that gets you to your destination most of the time!

The app certainly improves my overpriced piece of crap that bit more and brings it slightly closer to the other flagship models that not only blows it away, but get you more respect amongst the internets. The only saving grace is it looks good next to my ear or nicer on the dashboard when navigating using 'Google' Maps. I can hang my head in shame at traffic lights when hotties pull up alongside and look down on me as they will know I chose my iPhone purely for looks rather than application and that I am pathetically attempting to get to the that client without the use of its default mapping. Oh well, thanks to Google for saving my backside.

Should silence a few of the critics for now. :)

OK!! I will first clearify that hthis is in relation to the Apple maps.Well, over here they are shyte!!. Directions to Mildura in Victoria lead drivers to a desert instead, and there was no phone reception nor was there any water. Motorists stuck there had to walk out in above 40 degreeC heat.
I had the misfortune to buy a Navman when I went North in May, and this device relied on google maps.First night at Gundagai, I was lead to an empty place on a back road and informed blithely that I had arrived at my destination. Second night, my destination was Wooten in NSW,and I was led to a tiny house 30 km south and informed, blithely again,that I had arrived at my destination. Fortunately, I was able to call my host on my mobile and was given instructions how to get to his place. 4 months later, on my return to Wooten on my return to Melbourne, my host told me that Google still had not corrected their directions nor maps. Basically, I spent around $160 for the Navman, and got nothing out of it.

Mark
14th December 2012, 08:35
But can you set it to default yet? :p

No, that's the drawback, but then Apple paid Google a lot of money to allow that to be the case, I believe Google wants money from any app developers who want to use their maps. So I suspect most Apps will be stuck with awful mapping for the forseeable future.

CaptainRaiden
14th December 2012, 08:52
The iPhone 5 is an overpriced piece of crap! There you have it. :p

I'll reserve my judgment until I extensively use the overpriced piece of crap! :p

Mark
14th December 2012, 12:59
Same here, there are two streets with my street name within the Chester-le-Street administrative area. I'm sure some of my missed deliveries have ended up there.

Valve Bounce
14th December 2012, 21:39
Good news for Apple phone owners: they can download the google maps here, which are now the fastest selling app ( so I hear on TV) in Oz. :)

gloomyDAY
14th December 2012, 22:02

Should silence a few of the critics for now. :) HAHAHA!! :up:

That's beautiful, man. Just beautiful.

Daniel
14th December 2012, 22:52
Hopefully Google maps will be accepted and maybe Apple will drop their mapping and just make friends with an already decent piece of software that is Google. :)

and pigs will fly ;)

Valve Bounce
17th December 2012, 01:15
The latest gadget coming onto the markets thisChristmas is the touch screen ultrabook, with shops starting to offer these devices, some almost like a tablet conversions, at quite high prices

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 11:13
Report has more phone vendors using 5" Full HD displays next year | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/report-has-more-phone-vendors-using-5-full-hd-displays-next-year-1119055)

That's a bit surprising IMO. I thought the buck would stop at around 4.7 inch screens, but apparently phone makers are thinking bigger. Anyway, how much of a difference would 0.3 inches make? :p

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 11:14
Report has more phone vendors using 5" Full HD displays next year | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/report-has-more-phone-vendors-using-5-full-hd-displays-next-year-1119055)

That's a bit surprising IMO. I thought the buck would stop at around 4.7 inch screens, but apparently phone makers are thinking bigger. Anyway, how much of a difference would 0.3 inches make? :p

I'll ask the missus when I get home...... :laugh:

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 12:46
Not a fan of large phones myself but I won't need to worry about buying another 'overpriced piece of crap' until October 2014. :D

I wonder how long you're gonna remain butthurt about your phone. :p

donKey jote
17th December 2012, 16:42
I'll ask the missus when I get home...... :laugh:

well Billy tells us she never minded his 0.3 inches :andrea:

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 16:49
well Billy tells us she never minded his 0.3 inches :andrea:

SSSSSSSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :p

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 18:04
Probably until the end of my 24 month contract. When I see what I could have had and the constant misery I'm faced with when I wake the screen up on my phone each time, I doubt it'll be something I come to terms with any time soon.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md8ejhtBov1rcxqvco1_500.jpg

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 18:11
I think it's self explanatory, but in case you need an extended description - Urban Dictionary: ButtHurt (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ButtHurt)

;)

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 18:39
I may have developed a rather sarcastic tone but that has been mainly because of the competitive ridicule I have experienced. Your wording is hardly an accurate description of my feelings on this thread mate to be honest.

I don't think anybody mentioned henners and his iPhone 5 in my post or in the Techradar link I posted a few posts ago, mate. You're getting unnecessarily bent out of shape over your gadget that others may not go completely gaga over, at least your recent "sarcastic outbursts" would suggest so. Frankly, who cares what whoever says about a product you own?

race aficionado
17th December 2012, 19:02
Frankly, who cares what whoever says about a product you own?

words to live by ???

I do care about what you feel about your phone/tablet now that this particular thread has that title.

What I don't care about is someone telling me that I am wrong, or stupid, or gullible because of my choice. Again, my choice or henners88 choice and yes your choice.

henners88
17th December 2012, 19:31
You're getting unnecessarily bent out of shape over your gadget that others may not go completely gaga over, at least your recent "sarcastic outbursts" would suggest so.
My recent sarcastic posts were in response to the posts 2 pages back where I returned from a few days away to see I had been the topic of ridicule. The funny thing is I have spent much of this thread defending my choices rather than mocking others with theirs, yet the joke was on me? I don't think so. Although I was being sarcastic from my own point of view, what I was saying is everything you and others have been hoping for. Don't tell me you didn't jump off your seat and punch the air when you thought there might be a slim chance I hated what you hate? I know am yet another anonymous poster to you but having read Android forums for years I can tell you that your views are something of a sport on there and the type of response I gave is seen as the ultimate prize. An iPhone user converted.

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 19:40
words to live by ???

Um? I don't think I've made any secret of the fact that I don't give a flying rat's ass if anybody calls the Galaxy S3 (a phone I own) an overpriced piece of crap. I am confident enough in my choice, and opinions of a couple of strangers on a discussion board really don't affect me in the slightest.

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 19:48
Indeed. That was the undertone of this thread from the very start. Mocking a product and covertly mocking those who buy it, but then telling us we shouldn't be bothered by it?

Product criticisms have always been part of discussions since forever. If you call a car ugly, you're not automatically calling the owner ugly, stupid or gullible. Problem is with oversensitive people who attach themselves to a product more than they're supposed to, to a point it becomes more than a mere gadget, instead an extension of their social image.

I'm sure we all have our thoughts on who the joke is on.

Yep, and you don't covertly mock anyone St. henners. ;)

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 19:55
You cared enough when I suggested I thought iOS was far superior to Android, an opinion I stand by several months later after having extensive experience using both.

I actually didn't care, because your opinion was highly incompatible with what the actual tech experts think. ;)

At least I didn't get my panties in a bunch and kept mulling over what someone called my precious gadget, even butting into posts where there was not a single mention of me or my gadget.

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 19:59
Isla St. Claire has been sent by Larry 'shut that door' Grayson to read out the scores on the doors....

It's a tie, you both wasted your time.

However, I'm gonna give it to Henners, for wanton self derisoryness in respect of taking the mick when it comes to expensive tat! :)

Dave B
17th December 2012, 20:07
You'd think that of all the current threads, this wouldn't be the one inviting closure due to personal bickering! :eek:

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 20:10
The problem is not people attaching themselves to a product. We are discussing products here and products people own so naturally those contributing are going to relate to their own experiences.

Well, then they should be happy with what they chose, instead of getting depressed over what some strangers think about what they own. There are pages and pages full of criticisms for every product that exists on this planet.

This goes back to my car example. If all Fiat Multipla owners thought like you, I'd guess there'd be a sea of depressed people because someone made puking noises at the sight of their car.

I think you got the sentence about social image mixed up as it makes no sense. If you were trying to say people use their phone as an extension of their social image then I'm sure its the case for some people. I think its more reserved for those who pick sides rather than those who simply buy what they like.

Then don't pick sides, as simple as that. You say you don't pick sides, yet the last 50+ pages have been filled with you defending Apple till kingdom come. You also seem to defend your iPhone willy-nilly with the same repetitive rhetoric every single time someone even dares to mention that something else might be better, in some cases even when you or your iPhone 5 isn't even mentioned! :confused:

Correct.

Bull****. ;)

donKey jote
17th December 2012, 20:22
I suggest two separate threads, one for the Hen and one for the Cap'n.
After a couple of months, Mark could merge the two and hey presto! This very thread but without the bickering :p

race aficionado
17th December 2012, 20:23
:rotflmao:

Firstly Steve it should be called an iPod Touch jumbo because that's what it is and secondly Tablet PC's are crap unless you're using it as a replacement for a clipboard and how often do most people need clipboards?

Just for fun - this is the first post in this thread.

How time has passed! :D and not that much really.

Daniel. What would you now call those Window's phone jumbo that are now all plastered on TV commercials and blatantly used as smart commercial plugs on shows like Hawaii Five-0 and others?

How are these tablets by the way? They look cool and Windows 8 seemed to have passed the consumer test.

donKey jote
17th December 2012, 20:26
almost 2 years ago!! :eek:

that reminds me... where's daniel? :p :andrea:

CaptainRaiden
17th December 2012, 20:29

http://guerilla-photographer.smugmug.com/photos/361488549_PESEC-M.jpg

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 20:31
almost 2 years ago!! :eek:

He's at the F1 end of year party handing round the canopies.......... :D

donKey jote
17th December 2012, 20:32
:groan: :D

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 20:34
He's at the F1 end of year party handing round the canopies.......... :D

I know this 'cos there's a Fiat 500 outside....... :p

Dave B
17th December 2012, 20:39
Last I heard he was plugging himself into a 777-ER

Mark
17th December 2012, 20:46
I thought he'd been deported for good :D

donKey jote
17th December 2012, 21:06
Has he stopped hitting himself on the head with a hammer yet?

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 21:07
Has he stopped hitting himself on the head with a hammer yet?

Yeah, I think it broke......

SGWilko
17th December 2012, 21:08
http://guerilla-photographer.smugmug.com/photos/361488549_PESEC-M.jpg

Why did you have to post that - wonky pictures and I cannot straighten them.

Aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggg!

CaptainRaiden
18th December 2012, 19:32
Oops, beware of the new Instagram terms and conditions:

Instagram: how do you like our 'evil' filter? | News | TechRadar (http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/instagram-how-do-you-like-our-evil-filter-1119875)

Dave B
30th December 2012, 18:34
I've just had a belated xmas present from Samsung: an update which has given me the ability to run two apps in separate windows on my S3. It's limited to a few dozen compatible apps such as Maps and Facebook but I'm sure more will be added. They've also improved the stock browser, gallery, camera and keyboard beyond recognition (although I'll stick with Dolphin and SwiftKey for now). :D

Mark
31st December 2012, 09:41
Sounds good although Iain has been complaining about the keyboard change.

Dave B
31st December 2012, 12:35
Sounds good although Iain has been complaining about the keyboard change.
I saw that. Anecdotal evidence time: I don't know anybody who uses the stock Android keyboard, they all prefer Swype or SwiftKey. It's nice to have the choice :p

Mark
31st December 2012, 14:08
Yes it is. I wish iOS had that feature.

If you want to type e.g.

find -name / . /var/log/httpd/*

It takes more key presses than necessary! And don't get me started on a simple thing like Up Arrow Enter

race aficionado
31st December 2012, 22:26
I've finally joined Daniel's favorite gadget club.
This is my first pad ever.
The latest retina display, 16 GB, wifi/cellular contraption from Apple.
My eyes are now going to take a rest as I usually use my iPhone in the house to read my mail, FB and forum.
Not a bad way to end the old year and start the new.
:)

Zico
1st January 2013, 16:43
We bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4.2 media player Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.2 (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxyswifi/gs4_2/gs4_2_main.html) (basically an Android version of the Ipod touch) from Amazon in the 'Black friday' deals for just £69.99 delivered and were going to sell it on... however on reading up on it I discovered it had a good DAC in it (Wolfson) and with the right music player would make an excellent DAP.. so I asked if I could get it for my Xmas. :D

I've installed Neutron music player on it and its just amazing.. the sound quality is the best I've ever heard from any device period.

Mark
2nd January 2013, 13:04
After having used it for over a week I can certainly recommend the iPad Mini. Really light and thin and a screen just nicely sized for reading sitting on the sofa.

race aficionado
2nd January 2013, 17:22
After having used it for over a week I can certainly recommend the iPad Mini. Really light and thin and a screen just nicely sized for reading sitting on the sofa.

Good for you Mark. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
As for my larger iPad, I am totally mesmerized by what it can do and how it does it (remember, I have never owned nor played with a pad before)

I can also see the advantage of a smaller version like yours.

cool stuff. awesome as a matter of fact.

Jag_Warrior
3rd January 2013, 15:18

Do you run Softpauer's F1 Timing app? I'm curious how it looks from the standard size iPad to the Mini.

If they introduce a Retina version of the iPad Mini later this year, I believe this is the size that I'll go for.

Mark
3rd January 2013, 15:19
Do you run Softpauer's F1 Timing app? I'm curious how it looks from the standard size iPad to the Mini.

Since I've only had it since Christmas Day then no :p

race aficionado
3rd January 2013, 19:42
Anybody knows if this is for real?

** Ubuntu system comes to smartphones **
The Linux-based Ubuntu operating system is to work on smartphones, allowing users to run full-scale programs on handsets designed for Android.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868 >

Mark
3rd January 2013, 19:55

The Linux-based Ubuntu operating system is to work on smartphones, allowing users to run full-scale programs on handsets designed for Android.
< http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868 >

Yes of course it's for real.

race aficionado
3rd January 2013, 20:21
:bandit:
okay . . . I'll refrase: is this something any of you has used and recommends it?

Mark
3rd January 2013, 20:33
Over here that app is £23.99! I think I'll stick to just watching the TV lol.

Yikes! What a rip off! I think Sky do an F1 app for iPad. Will have to see how that works.

Mark
3rd January 2013, 20:42
The full sized iPad has been criticised for being too thick and too heavy. Quite rightly so. Yet the iPad Mini is thinner than the iPhone 5 which many say is too thin!

Mark
4th January 2013, 08:54
Apparently you can off set the time if you are watching delayed (highlights) but then again I've never been that into a race that I need live timing. If you can keep me sat down for the full two hours without fluttering in and out of the room its an achievement lol.

Yes, same here. Used to love sitting watching a Grand Prix. But weekends are precious time as it is, so I can rarely afford 3 hours on a Sunday lunchtime, plus Freya won't go that long without CBeebies!

BleAivano
4th January 2013, 15:44

< BBC News - Ubuntu operating system comes to Android smartphones (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868) >

Yes not so unexpected since Android is a Linux based Operating system.

CaptainRaiden
6th January 2013, 12:11
Had a chance to play with the Nexus 7 and iPad mini for a week, courtesy of my relatives during the holidays. I prefer the Nexus 7, but that's simply because of Android being my OS preference and being more used to it. The iPad mini is lighter though. The only good use of the tablets I found was reading magazines or comic books, that's it. For anything else, they just don't fit anywhere between my smartphone and laptop.

CaptainRaiden
6th January 2013, 12:16
On another note, I'm gonna be spending about 4 hours at Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport tomorrow for a flight connection. I'm guessing there are no free wifi zones. Has anybody here spent any time at Heathrow? Any tips?

ioan
6th January 2013, 14:57
Nowadays every airport in Europe has free wifi zones.

race aficionado
6th January 2013, 17:03
I love my iPad.
I am currently watching the first season of "the West Wing" on Netfix. I can't stop.
This pad technology is amazing.
Daniel was right. These iPads are magic.

Mark
6th January 2013, 17:04
WiFi of course. Free? Dunno like.

donKey jote
6th January 2013, 20:11
Paris CDG has 15 minutes free (per MAC ;) :p ) :bandit:

CaptainRaiden
7th January 2013, 08:43
Nowadays every airport in Europe has free wifi zones.

Nah, not at Heathrow. I did a little Googling and they have Boingo, and what appears to be rather exorbitant fees for a few hours of surfing.

Heathrow: Internet access | Heathrow Airport wi-fi and internet cafes (http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/services-and-facilities/internet-access)

Paris CDG also doesn't have free wi-fi as I found out last year.

SGWilko
7th January 2013, 08:53
Paris CDG has 15 minutes free (per MAC ;) :p ) :bandit:

DO they up the allowance when the drivers/staff are on strike(i.e most of the time)? :p

7th January 2013, 12:05
Ipod touch XXl

Dave B
8th January 2013, 11:30
On another note, I'm gonna be spending about 4 hours at Terminal 5 at Heathrow airport tomorrow for a flight connection. I'm guessing there are no free wifi zones. Has anybody here spent any time at Heathrow? Any tips?
Any tips? Yup, next time go via Amsterdam. :p

race aficionado
14th January 2013, 20:16
Okay . . . . bare with me, but only in the last week have I been introduced the the tablet now that I finally ventured into one.
The iPad retina display one.
Amazing technology and brilliant idea of mister Steve Jobs. (again Daniel was right) :s pin:

Pros: It rocks and I can now sit in the comfort of my own home and be able to get into the forum, Facebook, Netflix and other internet pages without having to strain my eyes reading from my cool yet too small lettered iPhone.

Cons: For someone that could not bare having smudges in his computer screen and would make sure that no one dared do so, I find myself looking at a screen that is so full of finger smudges that it has taken a while to realize that a good solution is to not eat pop corn as I scroll through my iPad and to always carry one of those nifty eye glass cleaner rags to constantly clean the surface. so I guess this 'con" has been solved.

My other con is that I agree with Mark, that thing is too heavy. It's got it's practical contraption that will make it stand up on a desk or coffee table but when you actually carry it as you try to sit comfortably in your sofa the dam thing is heavy. I wonder if the Windows Surface and other tabs the same size have the same weight issue.

My son got himself an iPad mini and yes, it is a superb piece of not heavy technology.

But my bottom line is, those pads are a great addition to our toy/tech contraption filled life. I love it.(even with the weight and all)

:s mokin:

Mark
15th January 2013, 08:41
Told you that you should have got the mini!

Used facetime for the first time this morning, me on my iPhone in the office and Karen on her iPad at home, works well! :D . Freya kept going around the back to see if Daddy was there :)

Malbec
7th February 2013, 18:23
Well, finally after months of vacillitating put in a pre-order for the Xperia Z which should arrive at the end of this month.

Was sorely tempted with the Nokia 920 but the tariffs are too expensive on Vodafone, although the RRP is the same as the Sony for the same monthly tariff the 920 is £69 while the Xperia is free.

Still, got my wife a Nokia 820 yesterday so I might still get the option to swap if I really don't like the Sony (I hope).

henners88
8th February 2013, 07:46
Well, finally after months of vacillitating put in a pre-order for the Xperia Z which should arrive at the end of this month.

Was sorely tempted with the Nokia 920 but the tariffs are too expensive on Vodafone, although the RRP is the same as the Sony for the same monthly tariff the 920 is £69 while the Xperia is free.

Still, got my wife a Nokia 820 yesterday so I might still get the option to swap if I really don't like the Sony (I hope).
Oh nice one, I hope it lives up to your expectations. If not I think there is usually a 7 day cooling off period where you can change if you wish. I know Carphone Warehouse allow this. :)

A female friend of mine should have upgraded about 5 months ago and has an older Sony Xperia. She asked me what a good phone to upgrade to was and I've recommended the Samsung S3. I didn't know about the Xperia Z but she did mention she didn't mind a change. She's happy with the interface on her existing phone so I figured she'd like the Samsung. I know the S4 is due out in the next few months but she's not really bothered about having the latest and greatest. She's going to try a few phones out over the weekend anyway and will probably get something random lol.

henners88
8th February 2013, 09:51
I thought I'd share this here for anyone with an iPhone and who may be interested. There is an app called 'Mailbox' that looks like a great alternative to the existing built in push email system on iPhone. I've just downloaded it myself and although the app is not live, you can join the waiting list. I remember being on the waiting list to beta test Gmail back in 2004 (think it was?), and this looks like a nice way of handling email whilst on the go. I can see influence from elsewhere in its development and hopefully it won't be too long until release. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICMxwgm274

Mailbox for iPhone Is Finally in the App Store, Along With Its 250,000+ Waiting List | Gizmodo UK (http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/02/mailbox-for-iphone-is-finally-in-the-app-store-along-with-its-250000-waiting-list/)

Dave B
8th February 2013, 18:26
I'm always suspicious about "waiting lists" for simple services like that, it reminds me of Cartman's "you can't come in here" fairground from South Park​. :p

henners88
8th February 2013, 18:35
There's good reason in this case. The demand has been overwhelming so they have done it to save their servers. It's annoying to wait but seems like a lovely alternative to push email. Hopefully I won't be waiting too many weeks lol.

przemson
9th February 2013, 16:53
Great thread

Jag_Warrior
9th February 2013, 18:23
I haven't noticed it being mentioned over the last couple of pages, so I thought I'd ask if anybody is jazzed up about the new BlackBerry Z10 or the BB10 OS? Being that it doesn't seem to be getting much positive press after the launch, do you think it's going to land with the same giant thud that the Playbook did?

ioan
10th February 2013, 13:18
Not sure about the Z10 as I prefer the X10 which has a physical keyboard and that for me is essential and one of the reasons why I will stay with BB, the other reason being excellent data package price when roaming outside of Europe.

henners88
11th February 2013, 10:11
I haven't noticed it being mentioned over the last couple of pages, so I thought I'd ask if anybody is jazzed up about the new BlackBerry Z10 or the BB10 OS? Being that it doesn't seem to be getting much positive press after the launch, do you think it's going to land with the same giant thud that the Playbook did?
Its getting quite positive press in the UK and reports have stated that a significant number of CW stores have sold out of the Z10. Good news for Blackberry but they have now entered the same market space as iOS, Android, and WP8 by producing a touchscreen device. As ioan said he prefers a physical keyboard and a lot of present Blackberry users are of that mindset in my experience. Its what set Blackberry apart from the competition but now they have changed direction I think only time will tell whether they will be successful. At present the Z10 has been applauded but hype always does this shortly after launch and Blackberry have certainly not held back with their advertising here in the UK. Its had more coverage than many Android devices get (apart from the S3) and Blackberry are lucky they are still relatively popular amongst teens. With the increasing popularity of iMessage and free messengers like Whatsapp, I can't see BBM remaining as the selling point amongst teens solely. I hope they do well as it just adds to the already competitive market, so fingers crossed they push it further and so far so good.

SGWilko
11th February 2013, 11:16
Its getting quite positive press in the UK and reports have stated that a significant number of CW stores have sold out of the Z10. Good news for Blackberry but they have now entered the same market space as iOS, Android, and WP8 by producing a touchscreen device. As ioan said he prefers a physical keyboard and a lot of present Blackberry users are of that mindset in my experience. Its what set Blackberry apart from the competition but now they have changed direction I think only time will tell whether they will be successful. At present the Z10 has been applauded but hype always does this shortly after launch and Blackberry have certainly not held back with their advertising here in the UK. Its had more coverage than many Android devices get (apart from the S3) and Blackberry are lucky they are still relatively popular amongst teens. With the increasing popularity of iMessage and free messengers like Whatsapp, I can't see BBM remaining as the selling point amongst teens solely. I hope they do well as it just adds to the already competitive market, so fingers crossed they push it further and so far so good.

Battery life alone looks impressive, which was always one of the strong points of the original colour Blackberry handsets. If the app level is good and the battery life is as good as stated, it has a good chance. The picture editing feature, peak and flow are nice, as is the swipe up feature for predictive words on the virtual keyboard.

The BES 10 software (which will allow a free upgrade of your (soon to be) legacy BES 4.1.x/5.x) licence keys is nice too. Plus BES 10 can manage IOs and Android devices too. Looks like they are heading in the right direction.....

henners88
11th February 2013, 12:04
Indeed. Apps will be the key for any manufacturer and Blackberry need to attract more developers onto their platform.

Malbec
11th February 2013, 19:47
Oh nice one, I hope it lives up to your expectations. If not I think there is usually a 7 day cooling off period where you can change if you wish. I know Carphone Warehouse allow this. :)

Just as well as I've just cancelled the order and will be popping down to my local Vodafone store to get the Nokia 920 ASAP!

janneppi
13th February 2013, 18:16
I'm sort of considering getting new hardware and I'm not sure where to go. I'm tempted to get a stupidly expensive big screen phone to replace my trusty old Nokia.

I've upgraded purchase project to a new status.
I'm now considering getting a new smartphone. :D

Sony Xperia V seems to be on top at the moment, I really wanted to like the Lumia 820, but it's just too closed system, I'm nerd enough to need real third party multitasking and open Bluetooth. And sadly only Androids do that well.
I do like some features on it, it has some weatherproofing and a replaceable battery. And It looks a lot better than the Nexus 4.

I either need to get drunk and order the damn phone or somehow justify myself that I's a good idea to spend 500 Eur on it.

Daniel
14th February 2013, 17:51
what do you think of the lumia 920 Malbec?

Malbec
15th February 2013, 12:02
what do you think of the lumia 920 Malbec?

Just to clarify my wife has an 820, I have a 920 and my officemate has two 620s, one for him and one for his wife so I've had a good play with them all.

My 920 is utterly fantastic. Very smooth, fast and handy. Windows is excellent, I don't think it lacks for anything although I've had the usual difficulties adjusting to a completely new OS. So far the battery doesn't last quite as long as I expected but I've only put it through a few cycles so that might improve.

Put it this way, I pre-ordered the Xperia Z which would have come with a £300 set of headphones as a special offer. Obviously cancelling that order means I won't get those headphones, but the Nokia 920 is good enough that I don't care.

I do think that Windows sells itself best by people having a good go on the phones to see it in action. The staff in the Vodafone shop I went to knew next to nothing either about the OS or the phones running it.

Daniel
15th February 2013, 12:27
Exactly. The big problem is that you'll never walk into a store and be sold a windows phone without asking. Perhaps there's a stigma attaches to them? I've owned 3 different windows phones and have liked them all. Should get number 4 soonish.

henners88
15th February 2013, 13:57
Exactly. The big problem is that you'll never walk into a store and be sold a windows phone without asking. Perhaps there's a stigma attaches to them? I've owned 3 different windows phones and have liked them all. Should get number 4 soonish.
I think there is a certain stigma attached to them but for reasons I can't explain. Just reading the tech articles on various sites you get the impression they are given a hard time. Just reading today Blackberry are very much the phone company of the month with a lot of effort going in to their marketing on British TV at the moment. They are officially still the third most popular platform after Android and iOS according to articles this morning despite not really pushing any of their flagship products for the last 12 months. I have heard mumblings that manufacturers are complaining that WP8 is too complex to work with and Microsoft are very much helping Nokia out more than the rest. The lack of apps is the key issue I think, or should I say the lack of well known apps that you find across other platforms. I think this needs to be tackled in order for them to be a serious contender within the already competitive market.

Everybody I have spoken to lately who owns a WP8 device has been very happy with it in my experience. I didn't used to know anybody with one but a couple of friends and colleagues have moved across to it and think its brilliant. I know someone with the 920 and its got a lovely screen on it with plenty of saturation on the colours. My only gripe from an aesthetics point of view is its weight and size. If you can put up with that then fantastic. Hope you continue to enjoy your purchase Malbec, you've obviously thought long and hard about it. :)

Mark
15th February 2013, 14:08
Why the quick turnover? They must have been crappy if you want to get rid of them that fast.

Daniel
15th February 2013, 14:18
Me? First phone was an omnia 7 which I gave to Caroline when I got a lumia 800 which I couldn't get unlocked and I picked up an hd7 very cheap. All good phones, though the screen is a bit ordinary on the hd7

Daniel
15th February 2013, 20:57
I think there is a certain stigma attached to them but for reasons I can't explain. Just reading the tech articles on various sites you get the impression they are given a hard time. Just reading today Blackberry are very much the phone company of the month with a lot of effort going in to their marketing on British TV at the moment. They are officially still the third most popular platform after Android and iOS according to articles this morning despite not really pushing any of their flagship products for the last 12 months. I have heard mumblings that manufacturers are complaining that WP8 is too complex to work with and Microsoft are very much helping Nokia out more than the rest. The lack of apps is the key issue I think, or should I say the lack of well known apps that you find across other platforms. I think this needs to be tackled in order for them to be a serious contender within the already competitive market.

Everybody I have spoken to lately who owns a WP8 device has been very happy with it in my experience. I didn't used to know anybody with one but a couple of friends and colleagues have moved across to it and think its brilliant. I know someone with the 920 and its got a lovely screen on it with plenty of saturation on the colours. My only gripe from an aesthetics point of view is its weight and size. If you can put up with that then fantastic. Hope you continue to enjoy your purchase Malbec, you've obviously thought long and hard about it. :)

Well, there was a time when Windows such a popular thing to dump on. Back in the ME and early XP days at least. I guess this still persists. I'm temping somewhere at the moment doing admin work and we were talking about phones and the IT manager has an iPhone, i showed him my windows phone and he asked how many times a day I have to reboot it :p Thankfully it was just a lighthearted bit of banter :p

I imagine that if Apple had called the iPhone a Macintosh phone then it wouldn't have done so well.

I guess I'm just not a typical user, I don't find myself using apps all that much really. I use the web version of facebook on my phone unless I'm uploading and tagging photos in which case I use the built in facebook. I use last.fm when I'm in the shower to play music and I use a couple of weather apps. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I just don't feel the need to move because of apps.

We're both looking at upgrading at the moment, Caroline quite likes the Ativ S which is a dual core Galaxy S3 running WP8 and I quite like the Lumia 920, though the Ativ S does also appeal to me as well.....

Lumia 920 has a fantastic camera, has 4g (probably not really much of a factor tbh), does wireless charging and the Ativ S is slimmer, has a bigger screen, is lighter and the screen was a bit more vibrant I thought.

janneppi
17th February 2013, 13:12
I've upgraded purchase project to a new status.
I'm now considering getting a new smartphone. :D

Looks like my PC found out I'm thinking of upgrading electronics and decided to get in on the action by crapping the graphics card or power unit. :(

Not sure it's worth getting new components for a 6 year old PC so I might have to start building a new one. Estimated cost for a good package without a monitor is about 700-800 eur. Jolly good fun.

Malbec
17th February 2013, 14:04
I guess I'm just not a typical user, I don't find myself using apps all that much really. I use the web version of facebook on my phone unless I'm uploading and tagging photos in which case I use the built in facebook. I use last.fm when I'm in the shower to play music and I use a couple of weather apps. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing, but I just don't feel the need to move because of apps.

Do real normal people really use that many apps? At the moment I look for apps that improve the utility of my phone but after that I suspect I won't visit the store for months on end, just as with my android phones. I've often found this idea that the huge number of apps on one OS or another will swing things to be a bit of a geeky misrepresentation of things.

Lumia 920 has a fantastic camera, has 4g (probably not really much of a factor tbh), does wireless charging and the Ativ S is slimmer, has a bigger screen, is lighter and the screen was a bit more vibrant I thought.

The camera on the 920 really is fantastic but on the other hand wireless charging seems like little more than a gimmick. Also the battery life really isn't that great on the 920.

Another thing you need to think about is that there is little performance difference between the 620 through to the 920 for the casual user, personally I think the 820 offers by far the best value for money.

airshifter
18th February 2013, 05:48
I think there are more than enough apps for just about any phone or device these days. Once the novelty wears off and the device becomes more than just a toy, the majority of people I know don't end up using all that many apps really. I don't have many at all, and don't even use my phone for music.

Around the area where I live, I can't think of a single person I know that has a Windows phone. People just don't seem to buy them.

henners88
18th February 2013, 09:10
Do real normal people really use that many apps? At the moment I look for apps that improve the utility of my phone but after that I suspect I won't visit the store for months on end, just as with my android phones. I've often found this idea that the huge number of apps on one OS or another will swing things to be a bit of a geeky misrepresentation of things.
I download the odd app to try out new things. I quite like discovering new things and ways to use devices. I hope I'm normal lol. I do find the app store for iOS is a lot more appealing than the Play Store in terms of bringing useful apps to your attention. I use an app called 'App Gratis' and it notifies you daily of a free app that has been made available for 24 hours only. Some have been complete rubbish but I've also had some great apps and saved money by not having to buy them. Apps are not for everyone but they are the major pull for any operating system at the moment.

The camera on the 920 really is fantastic but on the other hand wireless charging seems like little more than a gimmick. Also the battery life really isn't that great on the 920.
From what I have heard the camera is one of the best out there. Having said that the camera's have always been pretty good on the Nokia's I've owned because of the Carl Zeiss influence. Many phone manufacturers boast 12, 13, 14 megapixel camera's but if the lens is crap, you aren't going to get a picture worthy of the hype. Nokia teamed up with a good lens manufacturer early on. The iPhone camara is very good, but it'll never be better than a purpose built compact or DSLR. Its always going to be a basic handy point and shoot feature. Having a fairly good camera on your phone is better than having a rubbish one of course lol.

Wireless charging is only ever going to be a gimmick IMO. Having a charging mat that is plugged in rather than plugging the end of the cable in to your phone is just an alternative rather than solving a problem. Its cool, but its not a unique selling point for everybody.

Dave B
18th February 2013, 12:22
I think there are more than enough apps for just about any phone or device these days. Once the novelty wears off and the device becomes more than just a toy, the majority of people I know don't end up using all that many apps really. I don't have many at all, and don't even use my phone for music.

I'd be interested in seeing figures for app usage, as opposed to downloads. I suspect that many people do indeed download apps and ignore them once the novelty wears off. I've got about 100 apps on my phone, about a quarter of which I use regularly, about half of which I use occasionally, and the other quarter of which I'm too lazy to uninstall.

(edit: I've just looked and it's 131)

Dave B
18th February 2013, 12:26
Wireless charging is only ever going to be a gimmick IMO. Having a charging mat that is plugged in rather than plugging the end of the cable in to your phone is just an alternative rather than solving a problem. Its cool, but its not a unique selling point for everybody.
I'm not so sure. It should be so easy to standardise that before long I think we'll see wireless charging pads in cars and on public transport. And don't forget that docking stations are starting to appear that play music via NFC while simultaneously charging the handset. I can see a time where we laugh at the olden days when we still plugged things in.

Daniel
18th February 2013, 12:27
That's why I've never had any issues with my windows phone and the comparative lack of apps.

I use it as a phone and to browse the net and post on forums and such.

The only thing which I would really like is iPlayer support.

henners88
18th February 2013, 12:40
I'm not so sure. It should be so easy to standardise that before long I think we'll see wireless charging pads in cars and on public transport. And don't forget that docking stations are starting to appear that play music via NFC while simultaneously charging the handset. I can see a time where we laugh at the olden days when we still plugged things in.
I understand the point about wireless charging on the move but right now I'd rather have a thin cable than a charging mat to pack in my case.

henners88
18th February 2013, 12:44
My brother in law got the deal of the century on eBay last week when he picked up a brand new Microsoft Surface tablet 32GB for 200 quid! The guy who put it on spelt Surface with an 'i' ('Sirface') and only two others were bidding on the item. Its a nice tablet indeed, but a lot closer to a laptop than an actual tablet. Its also a lot thinner than I expected it to be. I would have had one for 200 quid.

Daniel
18th February 2013, 13:09
personally I wouldn't have a surface rt

janneppi
18th February 2013, 16:05
It is already standardised. It just won't catch on until you slab an i in the front of the device name. :(

Qi (inductive power standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard))

Dave B
18th February 2013, 17:57
It is already standardised. It just won't catch on until you slab an i in the front of the device name. :(

Qi (inductive power standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(inductive_power_standard))

Power sockets and chargers are in theory standardised, in the EU at least, but there's still one company which refuses to play ball. But yes, iCharge will probably be a game-changer and the beginning of another round of lawsuits.

henners88
18th February 2013, 18:13
If Apple wanted to make money from this situation they could sell the rights to their lightning connector design for standard use. We know they wouldn't do that but it's by far the best connector in use in terms of design and application IMO. They obviously want to set themselves apart and it works in certain areas. If you have one or the other I can't see why it would be an issue though? Nowadays you either have micro USB connectors or Apples version. It wasn't so long ago every phone manufacturer on the market had its own type of connector and we didn't seem to mind that too much.

Daniel
19th February 2013, 18:08
If Apple wanted to make money from this situation they could sell the rights to their lightning connector design for standard use. We know they wouldn't do that but it's by far the best connector in use in terms of design and application IMO. They obviously want to set themselves apart and it works in certain areas. If you have one or the other I can't see why it would be an issue though? Nowadays you either have micro USB connectors or Apples version. It wasn't so long ago every phone manufacturer on the market had its own type of connector and we didn't seem to mind that too much.

Yes, but Apple don't do that. They feel they've got the best OS, do they go and charge a licence fee for it? Nope.......

Dave B
19th February 2013, 19:10
I understand the point about wireless charging on the move but right now I'd rather have a thin cable than a charging mat to pack in my case.
But why would you pack a charging mat? Imagine they're standardised and so commonplace that all your mates have one, there's one on your desk, one on your train table, in your hotel room... See the possibilities? And it needn't be restricted to mere charging. Chuck your phone into your car and it'll not only charge but seamlessly play music through your ICE. None of this is fantasy talk, it's all currently possible and just waiting for mass-market adoption.

henners88
19th February 2013, 19:46
If it comes I will use it like any other feature. I'm not against it but at the moment I don't have an issue with the current method, just saying that's all. I'm not against innovation. It sounds like it would make things easier if standardised so let's wait and see how quickly it's adopted by all. :)

Daniel
19th February 2013, 20:48
If it comes I will use it like any other feature. I'm not against it but at the moment I don't have an issue with the current method, just saying that's all. I'm not against innovation. It sounds like it would make things easier if standardised so let's wait and see how quickly it's adopted by all. :)

Thing is, it's one of those things you're not forced to use, it's an additional feature which a lot will find useful. The fact that Apple haven't adopted NFC is just silly. When they eventually bring out itouch or whatever and make it incompatible with other phones, then people are going to wonder why everyone else can tap to share and they can't

henners88
19th February 2013, 21:31
I'm sure Apple will bring in NFC in the future but it made little sense to invest when it's in it's infancy IMO. Is my phone worse off for not having it? Not as far as I can tell. :)

schmenke
20th February 2013, 14:55
The missus and I just renewed our family plan contract with our local mobile carrier, with shiney new iPhones on order :D .

In other news, I was just told that I'm being issued a new Nokia Windows phone as a company device :mark:

Mark
20th February 2013, 15:15
But why would you pack a charging mat? Imagine they're standardised and so commonplace that all your mates have one, there's one on your desk, one on your train table, in your hotel room... See the possibilities? And it needn't be restricted to mere charging. Chuck your phone into your car and it'll not only charge but seamlessly play music through your ICE. None of this is fantasy talk, it's all currently possible and just waiting for mass-market adoption.

We can't even get agreement on wired charging anyway! Or rather we can but then Apple agrees then goes off and does it's own thing anyway.

janneppi
20th February 2013, 15:30
Wireless charging on a mobile phone sounds like something you can live without your whole life, but after using it for a while you wouldn't want to give it up. A bit like touch screens. I remember when a friend of mine showed it first in his Nokia 7710 around 2004 I wasn't that impressed.

I've already had some thoughts about using nfc tags when I get a new phone. It would have been nice to go with a wireless charger, but can't get everything right yet.

Knock-on
20th February 2013, 16:29
I wonder if anyone on here can help me with an iPhone problem I have.

With Sky Go, can it be played from a 4s onto a TV. I have brought the appropiate iPhone to HDMI cable but only sound comes out with a message that HDMI isn't supported on Sky Go where I have heard it is?

Is there a way around this?

race aficionado
20th February 2013, 16:44
The missus and I just renewed our family plan contract with our local mobile carrier, with shiney new iPhones on order :D .

In other news, I was just told that I'm being issued a new Nokia Windows phone as a company device :mark:

Perfect!
Now finally we will have a real hands on comparison.

donKey jote
20th February 2013, 18:07
with his missus ? :eek: :andrea:

schmenke
20th February 2013, 18:35
The missus prefers the "hands on" approach :s tareup:

Dave B
20th February 2013, 19:31
I wonder if anyone on here can help me with an iPhone problem I have.

With Sky Go, can it be played from a 4s onto a TV. I have brought the appropiate iPhone to HDMI cable but only sound comes out with a message that HDMI isn't supported on Sky Go where I have heard it is?

Is there a way around this?
It's almost certainly to do with DRM - copyright protection, basically. Does your TV support DLNA? If so you may be in luck but I suspect between Sky and Apple they've got it pretty well locked down.

What you need is some sort of baseball cap and simply hang the iPhone from the peak such that it hangs in front of your eyes. Voila! That home cinema experience comes to life. Now all you need is a chav kicking the back of your seat, and to pay a tenner for some flat Coke and a bucket of inedible slop. :p

Mark
20th February 2013, 19:43
Probably not. As Dave says its a DRM issue. Basically Sky are aiming Sky Go as a way to watch content while out and about. If you want to watch on a proper TV you'll need a proper Sky box!

It might work via AirPlay mirroring on the Apple TV but I doubt it.

Daniel
21st February 2013, 19:15
Well I've ordered a Lumia 920 in Black. Kind of fancied an Ativ S, but I love the idea of a good camera too much :)

henners88
22nd February 2013, 09:42
Did you buy the phone outright or is it paid for over a contract?

Daniel
22nd February 2013, 11:24
Contract. Trying to find a reasonably priced path 920 seemed an impossible challenge

Dave B
25th February 2013, 18:13
We can't even get agreement on wired charging anyway! Or rather we can but then Apple agrees then goes off and does it's own thing anyway.
Right on cue, here's the Telegraph with an article on the failure to agree on any kind of standards:
Industry divisions hold back wireless power - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9892403/Industry-divisions-hold-back-wireless-power.html)

henners88
25th February 2013, 19:33
I was expecting to read that article and see that it was all Apple's fault the technology is being blocked, I was pleasantly surprised.

neelayphywono
26th February 2013, 11:08
stiri din romania

Malbec
26th February 2013, 15:05
Contract. Trying to find a reasonably priced path 920 seemed an impossible challenge

Many of them are dodgy too, locked to certain networks with reports that 3G doesn't work on unlocking.

Black is IMO the best colour, looks very nice. I'm very happy with mine, makes Apple/Android look dull and unimaginative by comparison whilst still being very user friendly.

Daniel
26th February 2013, 16:13
Grrrr. Phones4u are out of stock, but I've been offered a Samsung Ativ S and 75 quid cash off my bill..... Decisions......

Still keeping my lumia 800 so I'll have al the Nokia apps, though they're going to be available for all wp8 devices.

Argh, I like both.....

henners88
27th February 2013, 08:14
Black is IMO the best colour, looks very nice. I'm very happy with mine, makes Apple/Android look dull and unimaginative by comparison whilst still being very user friendly.
I think there will be some leaps forward with iOS 7 and lets face it they are all learning off each other. There are aspects of Android I miss of course, but many more positives with what I have now. Its all about being happy with your purchase at the end of the day. I can't say I can't say I've grown to like the windows interface and its just not for me but that makes no difference because many people do like it including yourself and Daniel. It sells and that's the main thing. I'm still very happy with my choice too which is just as well considering I'm stuck with it for at least another year.

One thing did catch my attention this morning. Apple may be tipped as being 'boring and unimaginative' by those that choose other products but at least they are reliable. The estimate is mostly guesswork of course (its Gizmodo reporting!), but Apple's customer service has always been very good in my experience. I had to send a HTC back three times before I had a replacement and a friend of mine has been left without a phone whilst his Samsung S3 is sent off for repair recently.

http://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/iphone-reliability.jpg

Mobile Complaint Stats Say iPhone is Three Times as Reliable as Samsung's Galaxy Models | Gizmodo UK (http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/02/mobile-complaint-stats-say-iphone-is-three-times-as-reliable-as-samsungs-galaxy-models/)

Daniel
28th February 2013, 18:20
Well i have an Ativ S in my hand now :)

os is taking a little getting used to and the phone is a touch slippery but happy so far :D

airshifter
28th February 2013, 20:49
I thought the idea of a Win phone was to better standardize the OS and the way it interacted with various hardware?

Daniel
28th February 2013, 21:04
Yes, but i was using a phone with windows phone 7.5, this is 8. It's no t worlds away but they've changed a few things and added new features

Valve Bounce
1st March 2013, 00:26
Hi! I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus Compare prices for Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 mobile phone, Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S 7500 reviews - ShopMania (http://www.shopmania.com.au/mobile-phones/p-samsung-galaxy-ace-plus-s7500-18636022)
My only issue with this phone is that it has so many functions and icons that I don't know what most of them do. I will have to get my grandson on Skype (he lives in Brisbane) and get him to explain what these functions do. My $10 phone plan only allows me to contact my wife (on the same plan) when we are in the Mall or Costco to find out where she is when shopping. No internet in the plan, although I can connect to my own internet plan via wi-fi when at home.
I think this mobile phone more than meets all my needs, so I don't have any complaints. It cost me A$188 and I am happy with it.

Malbec
1st March 2013, 14:15
Well i have an Ativ S in my hand now :)

os is taking a little getting used to and the phone is a touch slippery but happy so far :D

What do you do for maps and navigation?

Daniel
1st March 2013, 14:37
Nokia drive is free for all wp8 devices, plus i still have my lumia 800

airshifter
1st March 2013, 19:07
Yes, but i was using a phone with windows phone 7.5, this is 8. It's no t worlds away but they've changed a few things and added new features

Makes more sense now. Winphones just aren't catching on at all over here, so I've yet to really check them out.

Daniel
1st March 2013, 20:18
Makes more sense now. Winphones just aren't catching on at all over here, so I've yet to really check them out.

They are selling more and more though.

Engadget's readers voted the Lumia 920 smartphone of the year.

The winners of the 2012 Engadget Awards -- Readers' Choice (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/winners-2012-engadget-awards-readers-choice/)

Mark
1st March 2013, 20:30
I've certainly no plans to upgrade my phone in the near future.

Daniel
1st March 2013, 21:07
I've certainly no plans to upgrade my phone in the near future.

One thing I should mention, this forum doesn't work with IE10, be it desktop or mobile.

Valve Bounce
2nd March 2013, 01:42
Nokia drive is free for all wp8 devices, plus i still have my lumia 800

Reminds me of when I was in Hong Kong many years ago, and this guy was sitting in his Ferrari parked in Pedder St and yelling "buy, BUY!, BUY!" when his phone rang. He was obviously pretending to be talking to his broker while posing in his new Ferrari.

Mark
2nd March 2013, 09:16
One thing I should mention, this forum doesn't work with IE10, be it desktop or mobile.

Right. I shall have to download it and check it out.

Dave B
2nd March 2013, 17:58
I forgot all about IE10, I've just tried it for the first time.

Yuk. Back to Chrome... :s

Daniel
2nd March 2013, 18:07
Guess it's what youre used to. Been using chrome at work recently as we use google docs. It works as a browser, but ive never been particularly bothered about browsers