PDA

View Full Version : Australians having a Whinge

Camelopard
27th January 2010, 10:00
Media beat up?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/27/2802988.htm?section=justin

"Australian travellers stranded by landslides in Peru say they have been forgotten and want the Federal Government to put pressure on Peruvian authorities to speed up evacuation efforts."

So, you go off to anther country and it all turns to poo and you expect 'your' government to bail you out? Get real, why not 'holiday' at home where everything is perfect? (sarcasm mode 'on')

Sounds a bit like some overrated, dumb arse 'merican sportman(?) who goes to another country then has the audacity to complain about the health system there. Don't like what you may find in another country? Good, then stay at home.

If you want everything perfect and don't want any problems, don't venture outside the front door of your own house....... :)

Daniel
27th January 2010, 10:28
Media beat up?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/27/2802988.htm?section=justin

"Australian travellers stranded by landslides in Peru say they have been forgotten and want the Federal Government to put pressure on Peruvian authorities to speed up evacuation efforts."

So, you go off to anther country and it all turns to poo and you expect 'your' government to bail you out? Get real, why not 'holiday' at home where everything is perfect? (sarcasm mode 'on')

Sounds a bit like some overrated, dumb arse 'merican sportman(?) who goes to another country then has the audacity to complain about the health system there. Don't like what you may find in another country? Good, then stay at home.

If you want everything perfect and don't want any problems, don't venture outside the front door of your own house....... :)
LOL :D What a bunch of fools. I don't like how cold it was this winter, why is the Australian govt so slow in making it warmer here in the UK?!?!?!

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 11:04
Somebody read the first paragraph, then decided to post a sill thread here.

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 12:26
I meant silly. In fact, the article referred to the Peruvian government not permitting many helicopters from other countries to help, and these tourists were trying to get the Australian Govt to influence the Peruvian government to permit these other helicopters to land to evacuate the stranded tourists.

Maybe we should apply the numeracy and literacy tests (as set out by our minister for education) to the guy who started this thread. :p :

Hondo
27th January 2010, 12:52
I meant silly. In fact, the article referred to the Peruvian government not permitting many helicopters from other countries to help, and these tourists were trying to get the Australian Govt to influence the Peruvian government to permit these other helicopters to land to evacuate the stranded tourists.

Maybe we should apply the numeracy and literacy tests (as set out by our minister for education) to the guy who started this thread. :p :

No doubt another proud graduate of the Eki Institute of Post the Link and Hope They Don't Read It Because I Changed It News Reporting.

Camelopard
27th January 2010, 22:41
No doubt another proud graduate of the Eki Institute of Post the Link and Hope They Don't Read It Because I Changed It News Reporting.

Care to elaborate, how have I changed "it"? Did you read the whole article?

I did and I still think it is a bunch of Australians having a whinge.

"And Ms Nemcich says the Australian embassy has "no idea what's going on". "I think the feeling amongst Australians here is that we've been forgotten and we are one of the biggest contingents of tourists here. It is quite unbelievable - we are up to over 200 Australians," she said."

Camelopard
27th January 2010, 22:44

Not bad coming from someone who never makes spelling mistakes and doesn't know how to use capital letters. :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
27th January 2010, 23:07
I wont comment on the spelling or the way posts don't come out right...guilty as charged!

As for the Aussies on holiday, they are no different than Americans, Canadians or Brits when they travel in the 3rd world. When it all goes south, they like to yell as if they were at home and the fire dept. didn't get there in 4 minutes. This story is just the same as those Canadians whining about being stuck in the Caribbean when a hurricane came through and they didn't get on the first plane they could, or Americans demanding things should be like they are at home at a hotel that isn't serving hamburgers.

When you leave your home, don't expect service like home especially when it is a poorer nation.

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 23:12

"And Ms Nemcich says the Australian embassy has "no idea what's going on". "I think the feeling amongst Australians here is that we've been forgotten and we are one of the biggest contingents of tourists here. It is quite unbelievable - we are up to over 200 Australians," she said."

So what is wrong with the Aussis asking the Australian Govt for help in negotiating with the Peruvian Govt to permit helicopters from other countries to land and pick up those who are stranded?

Valve Bounce
28th January 2010, 08:22

OK! I have just watched the newsreel footage. Now, I was an Engineer in the Geotechnical Engineering Office in HK, and I was directly involved in the clearing/evacuating of structures (squatter huts) directly affected by mudslides during rainstorms. So I fully appreciate the peril these tourists were in. I can only say that you have taken a totally wrong slant on their cry for help and assistance from the Australian Govt., especially as it was just announced in today's news that the Australian Govt has no plans to send in helicopters to get these people out. Perhaps the logistics would make this impossible as the time taken to get helicopters there would be too great. But it was reported that the Americans were deploying helicopters to take their citizens out.

If my family was stranded there, I would do everything possible here to try to get the Government to help them get out.

Mark in Oshawa
28th January 2010, 08:25
OK! I have just watched the newsreel footage. Now, I was an Engineer in the Geotechnical Engineering Office in HK, and I was directly involved in the clearing/evacuating of structures (squatter huts) directly affected by mudslides during rainstorms. So I fully appreciate the peril these tourists were in. I can only say that you have taken a totally wrong slant on their cry for help and assistance from the Australian Govt., especially as it was just announced in today's news that the Australian Govt has no plans to send in helicopters to get these people out. Perhaps the logistics would make this impossible as the time taken to get helicopters there would be too great. But it was reported that the Americans were deploying helicopters to take their citizens out.

If my family was stranded there, I would do everything possible here to try to get the Government to help them get out.

Peru tho isn't Australia, and at some point when you go to nations with less infrastructure and the like, you are taking a risk. As for the Americans flying their people out, that is great, they have military assets all over the Caribbean and in Panama so a short hop south in to Peru is doable. If the Australian gov't wants to get them out, they should pay the Yanks to do the job....they are there, and usually are very happy to help.