PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Mercedes GP Petronas launch thread

Giuseppe F1
24th January 2010, 11:30
Lets make this the official thread to post all thoughts leading up to and during the official team launch tomorrow of the new Mercedes GP Petronas team.....the Silver Arrows livery, driver presentation, Schueys new helmet design, body language between Michael and Nico, sponsors, thoughts etc. etc from the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart.

Presentation will be streamed live tomorrow on http://www.sport1.de at 11am CET and by the looks of it, this below is the new official team logo:

http://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/twitterstuttgart.jpg

pettersolberg29
24th January 2010, 11:59
And I'm hoping against hope that Nick isn't unveiled as the test driver but gets back to a seat with Renault or USF1 or anyone!

Giuseppe F1
24th January 2010, 12:17
And I'm hoping against hope that Nick isn't unveiled as the test driver but gets back to a seat with Renault or USF1 or anyone!

Unfortunately with the news stories coming out over this weekend, it seems Nick will indeed be announced as the third Mercedes driver.

I now reckon the 3 remanining F1 seats (Campos, Renault, USF1) will go out between Petrov, Sato and perhaps Jacques even Maldonado, Soucek, Nakajima or we may yet even get another huge driver suprrise along the lines of the Lopez/USF1 deal.

Cant wait to see the Mercedes GP Petronas 'Silver Arrows' livery - I REALLY hope they dont mess it up with too much green or in using more grey instead of silver........something tells me the McLaren-Mercedes livery will still end up looking more traditional 'Mercedes Silver Arrows' than the official Mercedes GP one!

I also feel with Mercedes GP not yet being able to poach traditional longterm Mercedes Motorsport partners Mobil1 and Hugo Boss from McLaren until current deals run out, that they will have a fair bit of 'AMG' branding on the car and driver overalls/helmets as well as much use of the Mercedes font, in order to convey a sense of 'Mercedes-ness' from a branding/presentation point of view

Giuseppe F1
24th January 2010, 13:43
Mobil1 and Hugo Boss have been with Mclaren since long before Mercedes joined the partnership. Mercedes are still a young team and have not won anything as yet as a team brand. I can't see these loyal sponsors leaving just yet.. :)

Strictly not true - Mobil1 joined McLaren at the exact same time as Mercedes in 1995 and because of Mercedes (before then, McLaren's fuel partner was Shell) - agree on the Hugo Boss part however Mercedes do alot of associate marketing with Hugo Boss at alot of events worldwide, particularly Mercedes Fashion Week event and alot of Mercedes other works teams in DTM etc have Hugo backing.

When the news story came out a month or so back about Mercedes potentially poaching McLaren sponsors, Mercedes press releases on the matter were very telling in their wording....."We cannot take any sponsors from McLaren" - 'Cannot' rather than 'will not' suggesting that indeed they wont to once current deals lapse:

http://www.flagworld.com/news/?p=29625

Also, the team brand isnt coming off a starting point of 1 year this year as a brand new team out of the ashes of Brawn, remember this is a Works MERCEDES team, a brand which is truly global, aspirational and has been around much longer than one year and in pure motorsport terms, is indeed one of the oldest brands - it is this history that potential sponsors are buying ingto and associating their brands with - not a oneyear old 'new' team necessarily

Saint Devote
24th January 2010, 16:36
Hugo Boss is my favorite clothing brand because it was first associated with a great favorite driver of mine - Jochen "Herman the German" Mass.

And they were also tagged to Keke Rosberg.

Nico is strong minded individual, capable of being quick and forceful in a race [finishing 7th in the WDC in 2009] but now he is fully in the limelight. He cannot afford to make the same sort of errors he did in 2009 such as at Marina Bay.

As teammate to Schumi - assuming he will "be back" - any error will be magnified.

Nico has never had to struggle in racing but I think he can do it, albeit it is likely to be motor racing fight of his life that will either raise of significantly lower his reputation as an f1 driver.

jens
24th January 2010, 18:27

IMO being a reserve driver in Mercedes is a better option than racing for the probably hopeless USF1 team.

52Paddy
24th January 2010, 18:47
This will be an interesting launch. Thanks for the link Giuseppe. :up:

Looking forward to this livery. The photoshop preview from a few weeks ago looks impressive and if the real livery is similar, it will be one sweet car :s mokin:

Saint Devote
24th January 2010, 19:07
If they select Heidfeld then they should also sign an up and coming driver as fourth reserve.

They can pretend that this very British team is the "German" team or look for the best driver in the lower formula - regardless of nationality- available and groom him for the future.

jens
24th January 2010, 19:21
If they select Heidfeld then they should also sign an up and coming driver as fourth reserve.

Wasn't Marcus Ericsson rumoured to join Mercedes GP team? :)

Rollo
24th January 2010, 19:34
Also, the team brand isnt coming off a starting point of 1 year this year as a brand new team out of the ashes of Brawn, remember this is a Works MERCEDES team, a brand which is truly global, aspirational and has been around much longer than one year and in pure motorsport terms, is indeed one of the oldest brands - it is this history that potential sponsors are buying ingto and associating their brands with - not a oneyear old 'new' team necessarily

Hardly. Mercedes' engine department may have been around since about 1993 because they bought Ilmor engineering, but essentially this is the same team that was Honda, then Brawn and now Mercedes.

To be totally fair, the fact that they haven't even assigned a Wagennummer (W) to the cars still makes me wonder more about what they intend to do with the team long term.

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 09:41
Mercedes GP have launched a teaser video of the new livery with MS and Nico - from what you can see, the car has Petronas green wheels and the font used for the drivers' names on the car is not the traditional 'Mercedes' font so I hate it already :)

Video Teaser below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBszU_jo4zU

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 10:38
First picture of the new Mercedes Silver Arrow:

http://www.sport1.de/media/_redaktion/sportarten/formel1/saison2010/teams_2/mercedesgp_1/silberpfeil-schumi-video_AufmacherTeaser.jpg

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 10:39
Yuck IMO! McLaren Mercedes' livery pays much more homage to the traditional image of the 'Silver Arrows' IMO

Powered by Cosworth
25th January 2010, 10:46
http://web9.twitpic.com/img/59936575-d5178ececad6ac44ec72d919579eb0e2.4b5d7543-scaled.jpg

any proper pics out yet?

F1boat
25th January 2010, 10:46
IMO the lightning ruined the thing. But it looks like the 1998-1999 McLarens.

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 10:53
Is it a 'Silver Arrow' or a 'White Arrow'??

In all their press releases leading up to this, Mercedes have quoted 'Silver Arrows' this and 'Silver Arrows' that = the beauty of the original Silver Arrows is that it was a very clean livery - obviously in modern F1 where you ahve to include sponsor logos there in lies the challenge, but still, why all the 'Brawn style black swoops up the nose etc - LOOKS DREADFUL!

They need a lesson from McLaren-Mercedes or even BMW Sauber F1 Teams book on livery design and harnessing/protecting a brand image - a plain silver car with standard black logos with the odd hint of red, maybe on the race number, would be MUCH more in keeping with the 'Silver Arrows' tradition - fair enough, Petronas are title sponsor and corporate green but they surely could have come to an arrangement as in their BMW Sauber days where they agree to fall in line with the car manufacturer they are supporting colour scheme.

Looks awful!

McLaren Mercedes liveris from 1997 - especially the 1997/98 and 2006 livery (also loved the 2008) are MUCH more fitting to the 'Silver Arrows' tradition

SHAME ON YOU MERCEDES-BENZ!!!!! :(

christophulus
25th January 2010, 10:55
It looks alright, certainly better than that horrible mock-up they released with the turquoise wings and sidepods. The lighting is pretty awful though, hopefully we'll get some clear pictures later.

RS
25th January 2010, 10:55
I thought they were going to launch the new car today and not just the livery!?

First proper new car launch is Ferrari on Thursday then I guess.

jonny hurlock
25th January 2010, 11:00
any links for images yet?

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 11:01
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1264416761.jpg

Dont say from this press image that Schuey WILL be keeping his helmet colours FERRARI RED too..........blooming heck!! :)

christophulus
25th January 2010, 11:11
The big white circle with the number in looks out of place imo. Also, the car is going to be called the W01

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81045

CNR
25th January 2010, 11:21
the colors look ok
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8478471.stm

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 11:29
Lots of photos of all angles of the car over at:

http://www.sutton-images.com

jonny hurlock
25th January 2010, 11:33
with the white clothing schumi is wearing he looks more of the stig in those clothing lol

woody2goody
25th January 2010, 11:43
I wish they had used more Petronas green - at least then they would be distinguished more from McLaren, who, I assume will remain silver and red/black.

To be honest I don't really like it too much. Also no bright yellow for a nod towards last year and Brawn :(

At least it's being called the Mercedes RB1 for the big fella.

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 11:51
Any word of Heidfeld at the launch?

pettersolberg29
25th January 2010, 12:01
BBC - "Former BMW Sauber driver Nick Heidfeld has been linked to the role of test and reserve driver, but while Brawn did not deny the German would eventually take that position, he said it had not yet been finalised."

jens
25th January 2010, 13:17
At least the abbreviation of MGP W01 sounds a much more sensible choice than yet another RB1 on the grid. Livery? From the front view looks quite nice, from the side doesn't create any impressions.

52Paddy
25th January 2010, 13:26
I think the livery looks OK. It doesn't look bad. But it's far from beautiful. I also think it would have looked nicer with some more Petronas green. The artist impression of a few weeks ago looked great. I just hope it will stand out enough to not be confused easily with McLaren.

F1boat
25th January 2010, 14:00
I just hope it will stand out enough to not be confused easily with McLaren.

I hope so as well.

maximilian
25th January 2010, 14:24
Does anyone else think it looks like someone has sprayed a black strip with a aerosol can and stuck a Mercedes decal on the side? :p

It certainly doesn't show off the Mercedes branding very well IMO.

http://joesaward.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/100125_003.jpg
That's EXACTLY what I thought, too... that it looks like someone was about to spray the car black, and then ran out of spray paint before they ever really got started! Or that the car was driving behind another leaking oil for an hour!

I am also disappointed with the super bland and maldesigned livery, if they had stuck to the photoshopped one from earlier, it would have been great. :(

HenryM
25th January 2010, 14:31
I was expecting more Petronas green, maybe a darker silver, but it looks good..

turismo6
25th January 2010, 14:46
I like it, I like how the Petronas logo on the side of the car isn't back but carbon fiber. I do think the car would look better if the smoky effect had more tint variation in it.

I still dont get the point of painting last years car in this years colours.

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 14:57
Which livery looks more like wha we have come to known as a 'Works' Mercedes identity and which does a better job of showing off the 'Mercedes-Benz' brand? Mercedes GP have messed up here in my humble opinion - poor effort!:

http://www.sutton-images.com/previews/djm1025ja96.jpg

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/gen/f1-2007-gen-tm-0199.jpg

I mean, how hard is it to read the 'Mercedes-Benz' tagline on the engine cover in the new MGP car?? Cant see it on that dodgy silver on black on silver effect theyve gone for

Dave B
25th January 2010, 15:09
That is truly horrible. The Petronas green looks like an afterthought, and the black background to the Mercedes Benz branding on the engine cover looks like it was done by a drunken graffiti artist. The stupid yellow & black "safety tape" on the mirrors further cheapens the look, but I suppose at least it's better than a plain white car with a few dayglo "Brawn GP" stickers.

Josti
25th January 2010, 15:56
I agree with Dave, it really looks like the green is added at the very last moment, like they forgot. I also don't get the red with black outline numbers.

For the rest I think it looks ok, though the Mercedes brand is indeed hard to look at from certain angles.

Stuartf12007
25th January 2010, 18:09
I think it looks absolutley awesome.

A great design.

52Paddy
25th January 2010, 18:13
Which livery looks more like wha we have come to known as a 'Works' Mercedes identity and which does a better job of showing off the 'Mercedes-Benz' brand? Mercedes GP have messed up here in my humble opinion - poor effort!:

http://www.sutton-images.com/previews/djm1025ja96.jpg

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2007/gen/f1-2007-gen-tm-0199.jpg

I mean, how hard is it to read the 'Mercedes-Benz' tagline on the engine cover in the new MGP car?? Cant see it on that dodgy silver on black on silver effect theyve gone for

Although the shading is clearly a problem for the Mercedes car, that pic of the McLaren looks horrible. The shape of the car is awful and, now, I just realised how much I don't like that livery and how much I haven't liked McLaren's livery from about 2007 onwards. That red is pure disgusting. I think Mercedes' livery is fine looking, but just not practical in many ways. And it could be better with some small changes.

But, bloody hell, that McLaren really does look sickening :mark:

52Paddy
25th January 2010, 18:14
At a second glance, the McLaren makes the Mercedes look beautiful. Genuinely! I'm not just saying that. :eek:

In my opinion of course ;)

Dzeidzei
25th January 2010, 18:33
One point about neing a brand is that its easily recognisable. So basicly it doesnt mean a rats ass if you cannot see the spelling. People will knwo its a Silverarrow, especially if it runs in the front.

That said Im a bit disappointed. Was expecting more from Merc. Now I hope that Santander-Ferrari wont be too white.

And please let Lotus revive the black gold combination!

Giuseppe F1
25th January 2010, 19:20
Schuey officially keeping his 'Ferrari Red' helmet at Mercedes!......Seriously, that is just kinda tacky - Mercedes brand department must be smoking something!?:

http://www.pitpass.com/images/galleries/2010liverylaunchmercedes/2010liverylaunchmercedes_s016.jpg

Bagwan
25th January 2010, 19:23
You're stuck in the past , man .
You dudes need to get on with the future .
You gotta stick a new face out there , but , one that's got a link to the past , man .
You'll get used to it .
I know , it seems like a bad trip right now , but it'll be ok , and you'll all mellow on it soon .
Yeah , like , calm blue oceans and all that .
Yeah , like calm blue , calming blue , calming blue of Petronas , calming blue of Petronas , calming blue of Petronas .
Let it be your mantra .
Say it with me .
Calming blue of Petronas . Calming blue of Petronas .

There .
Everyone all better now ?

All that chanted , and I must say that I think I actually like it , but I think it will look MUCH better from other angles .

52Paddy
25th January 2010, 19:55
You're stuck in the past , man .
You dudes need to get on with the future .
You gotta stick a new face out there , but , one that's got a link to the past , man .
You'll get used to it .
I know , it seems like a bad trip right now , but it'll be ok , and you'll all mellow on it soon .
Yeah , like , calm blue oceans and all that .
Yeah , like calm blue , calming blue , calming blue of Petronas , calming blue of Petronas , calming blue of Petronas .
Let it be your mantra .
Say it with me .
Calming blue of Petronas . Calming blue of Petronas .

There .
Everyone all better now ?

All that chanted , and I must say that I think I actually like it , but I think it will look MUCH better from other angles .

Pass the joint dude :s mokin:

F1boat
25th January 2010, 20:43
Why, I'd love the red helmet to remain.

truefan72
25th January 2010, 21:30
looks more white than silver to me.

and it looks more like a Mclaren 2003/2004 livery with the gray and white. The only difference is the teal of Petronas.

As to Mclaren, We will see if their livery remains the same. As things stand, I think there is enough difference between the two as much as Brawn GP was different from Mclaren in 2009.

Mia 01
25th January 2010, 21:49
The car looks great. Hope itīs fast.

Rollo
25th January 2010, 22:30
I still dont get the point of painting last years car in this years colours.

This year's car has this year's aero dynamic package and this years engine. Even in official press photos, the team which won both championships last year doesn't want to give anything away about the current car, lest they "reverse engineer" solutions from it*

*don't copy our stuff.

Hawkmoon
25th January 2010, 22:42
I think they should stop calling it a 'Silver Arrow' and start calling it a 'Grey Arrow' because, at least in those launch photos, that car is grey.

I don't mind it. The Petronas green was kept to a minimum and the red numbers are a nod to the cars of the '50s. The wings look like they've been painted with a "brushed" look to emulate bare metal, another nod to the '50s cars.

They do need to lose the black smear on the engine cover and simply write 'Mercedes-Benz' in big black letters. The smudge looks stupid.

BDunnell
25th January 2010, 23:20
Horrible looking car. Just horrible. Mind you, anybody who finds a modern F1 car attractive in any way probably has little appreciation of history.

Talking of which, I was amazed to read this comment made by Norbert Haug at the launch: 'With today’s presentation of our new MERCEDES GP PETRONAS Formula One Team, a new and certainly the most important chapter of over 100 years of Mercedes-Benz motorsport history begins'. Can anyone seriously explain how this moment is more 'important' than the Mercedes entry of 1954, a rather more momentous occasion in F1 history than 'Mercedes takes over Brawn', surely? It seems that even the admirable Haug has been taken over by PR puffery.

AndyRAC
25th January 2010, 23:39
Don't like the livery, though I'm not surprised. When they signed with Petronas???? Why?? I just knew that there would be green on it. Which does nothing for the look of the car. Apart from the reason of money, why would you want a Malaysian fuel/oil supplier rather than one of the better known companies?
I expect the McLaren to look more of a Silver Arrows than the MercedesGP car.

As for your question Ben, anything modern is always important than anything historical - or so we are led to believe......but I agree with you.

Saint Devote
26th January 2010, 00:02
There was a very big MB boardroom collision over this whole project so I guess the Petronas interest is to cover the team financially.

I dont think the team will remain in f1 any longer than any other large auto manufacturer and if Schumacher wins the WDC in the next three years they will be gone at the end of 2012 - or at best until the current CEO retires.

The livery IS disappointing - not a sign of the Mercedes star either. They could have done far better. But then the current f1 cars are not the prettiest machines ever seen in racing either.

Ranger
26th January 2010, 00:07
Apart from that engine cover smudge it looks good. :up:

Now to wait for the actual car...

truefan72
26th January 2010, 01:05
btw its looks fine. not the worst thing I seen

ArrowsFA1
26th January 2010, 08:48
Schuey officially keeping his 'Ferrari Red' helmet at Mercedes!......Seriously, that is just kinda tacky - Mercedes brand department must be smoking something!?:
Don't know about tacky, but it's a little odd. MS's design has changed a lot over the years, but the all red design is so clearly associated with Ferrari.

As drivers are increasingly changing designs to match their team/sponsors having something so closely associated with one team while racing for another may see MS making a change sometime soon.

Unless, that is, the red is designed to strike fear in his opponents. It was said that Senna's mainly yellow lid could be seen so clearly in his opponents mirrors that they jumped out of the way when they saw it. Perhaps MS is keeping red to do the same. It'll certainly stand out in the cockpit of a "Silver Arrow".

F1boat
26th January 2010, 08:59
Don't know about tacky, but it's a little odd. MS's design has changed a lot over the years, but the all red design is so clearly associated with Ferrari.

As drivers are increasingly changing designs to match their team/sponsors having something so closely associated with one team while racing for another may see MS making a change sometime soon.

Unless, that is, the red is designed to strike fear in his opponents. It was said that Senna's mainly yellow lid could be seen so clearly in his opponents mirrors that they jumped out of the way when they saw it. Perhaps MS is keeping red to do the same. It'll certainly stand out in the cockpit of a "Silver Arrow".
I think so as well...

cathedral
26th January 2010, 15:57
well hello all. for years i've followed this forum silently wisecracking f1 to the fullest. now i've registered, i'm at a loss for words. i will begin here on this merc development by saying the livery still lacks sponsors. as for colors, anything is better than last years brawn blandness. if i were at the track i might have gone blind. to get technical, if u now illustration, then u know there are nearly a hundred shades of grey. silver itself is dull unless shined so i can let the grey/silver issue pass. finally on a merc debut thread i pose the question, will we see history made as far as having the first mercedes driver to win the wdc who has also been a wdc in a ferrari since who knows when? or is it vice versa? barrichello sliced a portion when he won last year, knocking fernando down for second( i'll assume ). oh whatever you get the point.

edv
26th January 2010, 16:34
Personally, I will reserve judgement until we see the livery outdoors in the sunlight. Something about the lighting at that launch doesn't seem right, although I can't put my finger on it.
Howdy 'cathedral'.

jens
26th January 2010, 17:48
--- but I suppose at least it's better than a plain white car with a few dayglo "Brawn GP" stickers.

To me that Brawn actually looked fine. Yes, it was overwhelmingly white, but at least the lines of other colours - yellow and black - were integrated nicely and likably. Mercedes, except for the nose section, hasn't achieved that.

F1boat
26th January 2010, 19:41
IMO the Brawn car was very pretty.

F1boat
26th January 2010, 20:43
I loved when Brawn GP had the terminator as a sponsor in Barcelona. And it did terminate its rivals there

Giuseppe F1
26th January 2010, 21:19
I loved when Brawn GP had the terminator as a sponsor in Barcelona. And it did terminate its rivals there

I loved when Brawn had the 'earthdreams' livery ;)

52Paddy
27th January 2010, 12:34
well hello all. for years i've followed this forum silently wisecracking f1 to the fullest. now i've registered, i'm at a loss for words.

Welcome aboard cathedral :wave:

52Paddy
27th January 2010, 13:01
I loved when Brawn had the 'earthdreams' livery ;)

I know you're joking but when Honda had that livery, I did actually like it. I'm a big fan of densely sponsored/coloured cars. Of course, the Honda was not densely sponsored but the colours did stand out. It was far from bland. I find that the McLaren livery is bland (or maybe it's just lost the appeal it had when initially used in the late 90s). But some of my favourite liveries come from the back-marker teams of the 90s who went to extremes with sponsors and mad contrasts of colour just to get onto the grid (e.g 1994 Minardi, 1995 Footwork, 1997 Mastercard Lola, 1994 Pacific).

Valve Bounce
27th January 2010, 13:04
Funny!! could have sworn there was a Mercedes star at the front of that car. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81045

52Paddy
27th January 2010, 15:01
Bland is the wrong word. But it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't think its the colours alone though. The mirrored effect on a car with so many ugly lines and curves just isn't nice in my opinion.

I'd love if they would revert back to the red/white colour scheme of and up to 1996. But with tobacco sponsorship gone it wouldn't make sense to go to those colours. It would be a blast from the past :cool:

Hey, it's just me being nostalgic again. :)

Rollo
27th January 2010, 19:15
Welcome aboard cathedral :wave:

Welcome about Cathedral Airways. This flight will be landing in Silvio Berlusconi in approximately 3 hours.

truefan72
28th January 2010, 01:45
I know you're joking but when Honda had that livery, I did actually like it. I'm a big fan of densely sponsored/coloured cars. Of course, the Honda was not densely sponsored but the colours did stand out. It was far from bland. I find that the McLaren livery is bland (or maybe it's just lost the appeal it had when initially used in the late 90s). But some of my favourite liveries come from the back-marker teams of the 90s who went to extremes with sponsors and mad contrasts of colour just to get onto the grid (e.g 1994 Minardi, 1995 Footwork, 1997 Mastercard Lola, 1994 Pacific).

I did like that green Honda earth livery, took me a while to getr around to liking it, but I did. I loved the jaguar livery too from a few years back. I thought it was a classic. must be a green thing.

However I really do like that mlaren silver metallic livery, as I also found the all scarlet red Ferrari livery to be quite nice. Now with the huge white bits on it, I'm not to keen on that look.
...and yes the Brawn GP livery was smooth.

Mia 01
28th January 2010, 06:28
The car looks good.

It will be very fast in the hands of MS!

Valve Bounce
28th January 2010, 08:25
The car looks good.

Are your two statements connected, or do you have some other ideas why the car will be fast?

F1boat
28th January 2010, 08:31
The car looks good.

Hope so!

F1boat
28th January 2010, 08:37
The car is the Brawn, so we are yet to see the actual car. The colors as I said resemble the 1998 McLaren. OK, I guess.

DazzlaF1
30th January 2010, 15:47
Just noticed these pics on the Malaysian Grand Prix website from their race promotion launch, Could this be the actual Merc' 2010 car? You can tell by the shape of the airbox that its a different car to '09 Brawn car used for the team launch on Monday

http://www.malaysiangp.com.my/files/news_banner/1_3.jpg

http://en.espnf1.com/PICTURES/CMS/1200/1233.jpg

UltimateDanGTR
30th January 2010, 16:56
Dazzla I think you are right (somehow-i missed this)

different airbox. different sidepod shape. different front nosecone.

different car (unless its a Brawn GP in over audatious and pointless discuise-which i doubt somehow)

DazzlaF1
30th January 2010, 17:39
Dazzla I think you are right (somehow-i missed this)

different airbox. different sidepod shape. different front nosecone.

different car (unless its a Brawn GP in over audatious and pointless discuise-which i doubt somehow)

Weirdly, this isn't shown on any of the motorpsort websites apart from ESPN's F1 section, if this is indeed the actual car then they did well in keeping it quiet

Giuseppe F1
30th January 2010, 18:17
This IS NOT the 2010 Mercedes GP car unfortunately - its simply the old Brawn promotional car the team uses for shows, events, TV commercials etc. just painted in the new Merc GP livery -

It is THIS car here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbwi9g_mig-bank-making-of-brawn-gp-partner_lifestyle

DazzlaF1
30th January 2010, 18:29
This IS NOT the 2010 Mercedes GP car unfortunately - its simply the old Brawn promotional car the team uses for shows, events, TV commercials etc. just painted in the new Merc GP livery -

It is THIS car here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbwi9g_mig-bank-making-of-brawn-gp-partner_lifestyle

Ah I see,

Dzeidzei
1st February 2010, 09:03
http://f1center.hu/userfiles/Mercedes-GP-2010.jpg

Looks slightly better in daylight..

I think Merc and Santander are the best looking cars so far.
The new Merc also here: http://cdn.images.autosport.com/editorial/1265012889.jpg
I think this says more about the general quality of the looks, not about the beauty of Merc and Santander.

Please please let Lotus NOT have a sharkfin. They are hideous. Most of the grid is repulsive.

turismo6
1st February 2010, 09:05
There is something going on with the airbox, you can't see it because of Ms arm, but i'll try and find a photo.

Dzeidzei
1st February 2010, 09:12
I'm on the opposite side of the fence on that one.. :)

I know, this divides people. Wouldnt it be great if RBR didnt have a fin? It would suprise all the people that are trying to copy their last years design.

Anyway, the fin is just like my neighbor. Cant stand the sight of either one.

turismo6
1st February 2010, 09:18
It looks like an A1GP cars air box. Check out the link above.. :)

Looks like the shark fin is in the airbox.

Nose smoke livery looks alot better on the 2010 car.

christophulus
1st February 2010, 09:23
Hi-res photo here: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/02/01/mercedes-w01-debuts-in-valencia-pictures/merc_w01_2010_vale/

The livery looks a lot better without all those studio lights. And the airbox is definitely different to the others we've seen.

UltimateDanGTR
1st February 2010, 10:28
wierd airbox but the more difference between the cars the better. Its not a bad looking car either, though the livery should have been better.

wedge
1st February 2010, 12:47
That livery really turns my stomach.

Silver and day-glo green is not a good mix

turismo6
1st February 2010, 12:51
Here's a good photo of the airbox

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rosb_merc_2010.jpg

callum122
1st February 2010, 13:24
I like this car. Lots.

gloomyDAY
1st February 2010, 22:53
I like this car. Lots.Me too! I think it looks better than the McLaren.

F1boat
2nd February 2010, 06:55
Me too! I think it looks better than the McLaren.

I have to agree.

Garry Walker
2nd February 2010, 08:09
impressive.