PDA

View Full Version : The future of Romain Grosjean?

jens
23rd January 2010, 14:49
One more guy I would like to give some attention to. It is a shame that Romain has so comprehensively fallen off the radar lately. Assessing his career so far, I still think this guy has some serious raw pace hidden inside him, even if he may not be the strongest driver mentally. However, he was thrown into F1 at the worst possible moment into the worst possible team and I fear this may have destroyed his career for good. :\ He actually showed some good pace in qualifying sessions, but that was too little to get the results in races. Is Grosjean's career really over already before it had actually begun?

maximilian
23rd January 2010, 15:11
In one word: BLEAK!

Sonic
23rd January 2010, 15:38
He's still in with a shot at Renault; and IMO he should be given that chance. As you say Jens, the kid was thrown in without testing, as all last years mid-season replacements were, but he instantly matched PK's "results", whereas know quantities like Fisi and Tonio never really found their feet at their respective "hot bunk" rides.

With some proper testing and a half years experience I think he could support Robert well whilst learning a great deal.

DexDexter
23rd January 2010, 17:45
One more guy I would like to give some attention to. It is a shame that Romain has so comprehensively fallen off the radar lately. Assessing his career so far, I still think this guy has some serious raw pace hidden inside him, even if he may not be the strongest driver mentally. However, he was thrown into F1 at the worst possible moment into the worst possible team and I fear this may have destroyed his career for good. :\ He actually showed some good pace in qualifying sessions, but that was too little to get the results in races. Is Grosjean's career really over already before it had actually begun?

IMO he's nothing special, too much hair and too few results plus he seemed (emphasizing the word seem) to be a bit of a whiner as well. Sure he had a bad situation, but Kobayashi didn't drive the Toyota before thrown at the deep end either.

Josti
23rd January 2010, 18:16
Sure he had a bad situation, but Kobayashi didn't drive the Toyota before thrown at the deep end either.

True, but in honesty, the Toyota was a better car than the Renault, which was actually really bad last year. I would like to see Grosjean given a second chance, because I think he can do better with some proper testing.

But with Heidfeld on the loose, I think it's going to be difficult (although I don't prefer a Kubica-Heidfeld combination again).

Sonic
23rd January 2010, 18:19
IMO he's nothing special, too much hair and too few results plus he seemed (emphasizing the word seem) to be a bit of a whiner as well. Sure he had a bad situation, but Kobayashi didn't drive the Toyota before thrown at the deep end either.

Very true. Kamu delivered. Fact.

But that's not to say Romain isn't worthy of another go. Kamu had a Toyota that was a bit hit and miss - but was on good form in his two GP's, whereas RG had a dog of a Renault that even the sublime Alonso could only muster a 3rd place at best.

F1boat
23rd January 2010, 18:20
I hope that Romain will have another chance.

52Paddy
23rd January 2010, 18:27
When I saw Grosjean drive in GP2, I thought the guy had balls. That he had raw speed and may be liable to pushing too hard and making mistakes. When he hit F1 last year, I was disappointed. His didn't display the racecraft I thought he had. Although, on paper, Grosjean didn't make a bad effort, he wasn't near impressive either. And, with the silly season the way it is, top team owners are looking to drivers who have already shown that they can perform really well. The field is so full of talent this year that picking up a driver that hasn't proven anything (i.e. has raced in F1 with no particular results of note) could be something awful to regret. He may have had a greater chance in previous seasons - though that's not to say that he still won't end up at Renault or in a testing role.

Though I do agree: it would be a shame if Grosjean's career has ended so soon. I think he deserves a year in a decent car at least.

truefan72
23rd January 2010, 19:19
he deserves a 2nd shot with renault and with a car and setup more akin to his liking right from the get go not occupying NPJr' cursed seat. At the very least he needs to stay around F1 as a 3rd driver or whatever as I' am sure there will be openings in the next 2-3 years. For one, Rubens and Trulli are probably gone next year, MSC might be 1 and done, and then there is the potential for fallout from other teams

Sonic
23rd January 2010, 19:43
he deserves a 2nd shot with renault and with a car and setup more akin to his liking right from the get go not occupying NPJr' cursed seat. At the very least he needs to stay around F1 as a 3rd driver or whatever as I' am sure there will be openings in the next 2-3 years. For one, Rubens and Trulli are probably gone next year, MSC might be 1 and done, and then there is the potential for fallout from other teams

He needs to avoid becoming the forgotten man of F1.

truefan72
23rd January 2010, 23:14
He needs to avoid becoming the forgotten man of F1.

that's for sure

jens
24th January 2010, 18:06

I think Grosjean might be a bit of Kovalainen-type driver, who may blossom in the right environment. But I can understand, why he isn't a particularly interesting option to teams at the moment - he is a gamble and is neither experienced nor a paydriver. All I hope - which is the main way out - is that he becomes a reserve driver in one F1 team and gets at least a handful of testing days to impress the team with his pace.

Actually Kobayashi had driven that TF109 before - in 2009 winter he got several test days. Alguersuari and Grosjean, however, had just plain never driven their car before.

Big Ben
24th January 2010, 22:32
who?

woody2goody
25th January 2010, 04:50
Too many mistakes last year I think for him to remain with Renault for '10.

Crashes into Button and Badoer, and numerous spins were the lowlights for him.

He did show some decent pace but the consistency wasn't there. I think they should have taken di Grassi, but now that's obviously impossible I'm not sure who would be the best fit for them. Maybe going with Grosjean again wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Maybe they should get a French driver in like Bertrand Baguette? Amazing name for a French driver by the way.

jens
25th January 2010, 12:47
Maybe they should get a French driver in like Bertrand Baguette? Amazing name for a French driver by the way.

Except that he is Belgian. But maybe he speaks French. :)

When I saw Grosjean drive in GP2, I thought the guy had balls. That he had raw speed and may be liable to pushing too hard and making mistakes. When he hit F1 last year, I was disappointed. His didn't display the racecraft I thought he had.

Yes, admittedly Grosjean's racecraft was quite non-existent. I remember, how he let people pass him left and right in the Brazilian Grand Prix. To me it looked like he felt really uncomfortable in the car and simply had too much trouble to merely keep the car on the road, let alone race against other cars! Maybe a full winter testing could iron out that total lack of confidence in handling an F1 car, which would rejuvenate his racing spirit too.

52Paddy
25th January 2010, 13:34
Yes, admittedly Grosjean's racecraft was quite non-existent. I remember, how he let people pass him left and right in the Brazilian Grand Prix. To me it looked like he felt really uncomfortable in the car and simply had too much trouble to merely keep the car on the road, let alone race against other cars! Maybe a full winter testing could iron out that total lack of confidence in handling an F1 car, which would rejuvenate his racing spirit too.

Well even Alonso struggled with that car at the best of times so I guess that could be part of the reason. Give him a car that's a little more sympathetic to the driver and he may display the talent he has - if any.

I feel a little awkward saying that: "sympathetic to the driver" -> Jim Clark would be laughing down on us for saying that...

F1boat
25th January 2010, 13:56
I hope that Romain will stay in the team, but I fear that Petrov or Heidfeld will get the drive. I really feel for Grosjean, who was decent in GP2. I think that he really felt the pressure, which is a bad sign, unfortunately.

Tom206wrc
27th January 2010, 18:46
Petrov 2nd driver, Ho-Ping Tung 3rd driver(source Autohebdo website)...end of Grosjean at Renault F1 Team :s :s

There was a rumour(reliable or not that's the question)Romain was among the candidates for being the 3rd driver for Le Mans in the ORECA 908... :rolleyes:

F1boat
27th January 2010, 18:48
Petrov 2nd driver, Ho-Ping Tung 3rd driver(source Autohebdo website)...end of Grosjean at Renault F1 Team :s :s

There was a rumour(reliable or not that's the question)Romain was among the candidates for being the 3rd driver for Le Mans in the ORECA 908... :rolleyes:

:(

Robinho
27th January 2010, 20:53
not sure about the wisdom of replacing the guy who was right up there in the Gp2 standings until withdrawing to drive fior Renault, and still finished 4th, only 30 points behind the driver who is apparently replacing him, despite having best part of half a season more.

sure Grosjean didn't do much to shine last year, but it was a team in turmoil and coming in mid season is difficult for any rookie. he really deserves a proper chance, not that Petrov doesn't also deserve a shot at a drive, but i don't think that he's going to be a much better prospect than Grosjean. i hope he is able to find a drive elsewhere and get a season to prove himself. if nothing happens then, then its no biggie if he's moved on, but i think if your going to give a driver a drive you have to give them a proper opportunity, given the limits on mileage available to them

jens
4th April 2010, 11:34
With Grosjean driving now in GT1 championship, I couldn't resist bumping this thread. Seeing, how Alguersuari and Liuzzi have been much better this season than last year after being thrown in mid-season, I'm certain the former French GP2 frontrunner is worth to be given another shot in F1, especially considering, how many former GP2 drivers we are currently seeing in F1. But it's difficult to climb into F1 from GT championship - has anyone besides Zonta done it?

F1boat
4th April 2010, 11:42
With Grosjean driving now in GT1 championship, I couldn't resist bumping this thread. Seeing, how Alguersuari and Liuzzi have been much better this season than last year after being thrown in mid-season, I'm certain the former French GP2 frontrunner is worth to be given another shot in F1, especially considering, how many former GP2 drivers we are currently seeing in F1. But it's difficult to climb into F1 from GT championship - has anyone besides Zonta done it?

Wasn't Webbo a FIA GT racer?

jens
4th April 2010, 11:54
Wasn't Webbo a FIA GT racer?

Actually he was for a short time, but he jumped into F1 from F3000, so I view that as a bit of a different case.

wedge
4th April 2010, 12:56
Actually he was for a short time, but he jumped into F1 from F3000, so I view that as a bit of a different case.

That was when FIA GT was more presitigous, money was flying around and was paid good money driving for Mercedes.

Robinho
4th April 2010, 14:19
i'm pretty sure a certain Mr Schumacher had a decent sportscar career before F1. Allan McNish came through that way after a previously promising junior single seater career stopped short of F1.

it is possible, and i'd think a few people are still watching Grosjean - Hulkenburg, Petrov, Alguesari are all showing that with a bit of testing and a half decent car they can show well, Grosjean surely deserves another chance, i'd put him easily equal to those 3

wedge
4th April 2010, 22:29
i'm pretty sure a certain Mr Schumacher had a decent sportscar career before F1. Allan McNish came through that way after a previously promising junior single seater career stopped short of F1.

Again that was when endurance racing was more 'prestigous'.

Who cares about FIA GTs in the past decade after the 'old' GT-1 nee prototype cars were outlawed?