PDA

View Full Version : Question re Melbourne GP

ozrevhead
22nd January 2010, 13:59
Well im excited to say Im going to be in Melbourne for the GP

Due to funds I can afford the 4 day pass for the Senna, Waite and Clarke grandstands

Bro reckons we should go the Waite Grandstand but not sure

One thing I do know for sure is I cant WAIT! :D

Valve Bounce
23rd January 2010, 00:13

Due to funds I can afford the 4 day pass for the Senna, Waite and Clarke grandstands

Clarke and Waite are not that great for action; Clark is much like a natural chicane and not much more. Waite is a somewhat faster version of Clark and cars will come through a bit faster there - cars have been know to overtake on the rare occasion coming out of Waite.

Senna is near the start of the main straight and you will see some action there. AS for the screens, both Clark and Waite in previous years had screens facing north with the sun shining into them and you get very little detail from them. Senna you sit facing the sun but the screen is shaded so you get a lot more watching that screen.

My suggestion is that you walk around the circuit during Friday and see where you would like best to be. If I remember correctly, they didn't even bother to construct stands at Clark and Waite last year. But with SchM back this year, I am sure the attendance will be up and they might have stands there this year.

ozrevhead
23rd January 2010, 00:45
We are heading over to Melb by the overlander on friday so we wont get there till 6.30 sat night

whats the transport like - staying @ the grand chancellor which i believe is about 4ks from the track

and how easy is it to walk around before taking your seat - how restricted is it

Valve Bounce
23rd January 2010, 01:42
We are heading over to Melb by the overlander on friday so we wont get there till 6.30 sat night

whats the transport like - staying @ the grand chancellor which i believe is about 4ks from the track

and how easy is it to walk around before taking your seat - how restricted is it

Pity that you won't be there for quals because this is possibly the best session of the weekend.

Grand Chancellor is lovely from the website and superbly located. Your GP entry ticket get's you free tram travel to the circuit - and I think the trams come along at least every second minute or maybe even every minute. The #96 tram runs along Burke St, a block from Londsdale St, and it will take you right near the Senna stand if you get off at the Fraser St stop. The tram is the only way to get to the circuit, and you should get there in 15 minutes or so. Taxi is the worst because most of the roads around the circuit are fenced off and a Taxi could take you more than an hour to get through the traffic logjam - quicker to walk. :(

Little Burke St (China Town) is a short walk from the Grand Chancellor, and I recommend the Kun Ming Restaurant, although there are a number of other great restaurants there.

Walking around the circuit, I don't know, as some areas are fenced off if you don't have the expensive grandstand tickets. To be honest, I have no idea how easily or otherwise it will be to walk from Senna to Waite.

P.S. Why are you travelling on the Overlander? If you fly, you get to see quals.

ozrevhead
23rd January 2010, 05:13
i will get there by qualifying Saturday - The train leaves about 7am adelaide time and gets there by 6.30 melb time...its just we got 4 tickets and six of us going so we are going to share it around.....mum & anty wont go and im catching up with a mate who lives there so when he goes will be the day I come along (could go one or other or both)

They wanted Waite stand so I brought that one so lets see what happends

Just need to know a couple good resturants/cafe's in lygon street and we are set

raybak
23rd January 2010, 09:42
I'll be heading down for the weekend. The best restaurant for me is Mum's in Brunswick West :) Also can walk out the front door down the road about 50m to the Tramstop which takes me straight to the GP for free. How good is that. Oh and did I say free tickets as well.

Ray

driveace
23rd January 2010, 10:02
well, never spectated there,but walked round and drove round the public road circuit.I was there 2 weeks before the event,
I thought ,that the bit where the track goes through the middle of the NORMAL car park,would be good.they come down the straight and it goes 90 right,then left ,then right again.A few years ago ,someone shot over the top of two or three cars there.

Valve Bounce
23rd January 2010, 11:34
i will get there by qualifying Saturday - The train leaves about 7am adelaide time and gets there by 6.30 melb time...its just we got 4 tickets and six of us going so we are going to share it around.....mum & anty wont go and im catching up with a mate who lives there so when he goes will be the day I come along (could go one or other or both)

Just need to know a couple good resturants/cafe's in lygon street and we are set

I take it you'll be there at 6.30 friday night, because by 6.30 Saturday night, you won't get to the circuit to see quals.

I don't go to Lygon St at night so can't help you there, but if you walked down Lygon St, you should be able to find some decent Italian Restaurants.
You could try Brunetti's Restaurant, which has the most fantastic assortment of Italian cakes and a limited but inexpensive menu. It is possibly the most famous Italian establishment in Melbourne. http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/?action=venue&venue_url=brunetti

Ari
25th January 2010, 04:25

I am just a little bit excited too!! :D

I am on the Jones package:
Jones Stand - Sunday
Clark Stand - Saturday
Brabham Stand - Friday
Fangio Stand - Thursday

Have rented a townhouse for the week with mates and we're getting there on Wednesday so we can do the pit tour thing on the wednesday night. :D Not long to go now!

Ari
25th January 2010, 04:30

Now you're catching up with two mates while you're in town!!! ;)

Valve Bounce
25th January 2010, 05:30
I am just a little bit excited too!! :D

I am on the Jones package:
Jones Stand - Sunday
Clark Stand - Saturday
Brabham Stand - Friday
Fangio Stand - Thursday

Have rented a townhouse for the week with mates and we're getting there on Wednesday so we can do the pit tour thing on the wednesday night. :D Not long to go now!

I wish you fair weather. I think the Jones stand is probably the best.