PDA

View Full Version : Is 4WD more similar to...

rally7
20th January 2010, 15:20
RWD or FWD? If you have any experience of this please answer if you are only guessing please dont answer i dont want to get mislead :)

Brown, Jon Brow
20th January 2010, 15:44
It depends on the car and the circumstances. Many 4x4 cars have more power going to the back wheels so it is more similar to RWD. In a Veyron isn't it about a 70/30 split? You wouldn't want more than 300bhp going to the front wheels.

Sonic
20th January 2010, 16:08
It depends on the car and the circumstances. Many 4x4 cars have more power going to the back wheels so it is more similar to RWD. In a Veyron isn't it about a 70/30 split? You wouldn't want more than 300bhp going to the front wheels.

I echo Jon. It really depends on what car and where. My only experience of a 4wd car was the dreadful original Audi TT and that was far more similar to a fwd. I used to work with a lad who had awesome car control - Dillon - and he could do this wicked trick with the TT. He could take the 90 degree left at graham hill (brands) on full right opposite lock with no hands on the wheel. Very spectacular; never managed it myself - spun myself halfway to the pit lane when I tried. Ahhh, good times.

rally7
20th January 2010, 16:22
so what car is more similar to fwd and the other way around? And same thing with the circumstances?

If we take hard packed gravel and a group N Evo 9, is this more similar to fwd or rwd ?

Daniel
20th January 2010, 17:38
4wd us similar to FWD. Why do you want to know?

Daniel
20th January 2010, 17:47

Most 4wd's use a variable torque split so if the there is wheelspin at the front for instance more torque can be sent to the back.

JSH
20th January 2010, 18:21
I test drove a AWD BMW 3-Series and a RWD 3-Series. Same engines. Dry Roads. Same day.

The AWD felt heavy and understeered like a FWD compared to the RWD...IMO

In wet/slippery conditions it though it could 'feel' different.

schmenke
20th January 2010, 19:28
Most 4wd's use a variable torque split so if the there is wheelspin at the front for instance more torque can be sent to the back.

Yep, that's similar to our Mazda Tribute. Although we can electronically lock the centre differential to provide a constant 50/50 split (we rarely use this though).