PDA

View Full Version : Button already asking for help

truefan72
19th January 2010, 20:02
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/19012010/58/button-hamilton-discuss-car.html

yes I know the title is a bit misleading but his comments lend me to believe that he is already a desperate man making sure that things will go his way, in particular this comment struck me as curious.

"Lewis is a world champion and he's been with them for three years and done exceptionally well.

"When we start testing we need to be working together and we need to share everything and that's the key for us being ready at the first race," added the Briton, who last spoke to Hamilton face-to-face in November.

the way I read it is that he is looking for Hamilton to help him out the same way Rubens pretty much setup his cars for him. It is akin to him saying that he hopes Hamilton will share his date and help him out.

I'm sure Hamilton will help out a bit but I doubt that he will be as forthcoming as Button hopes. After all, it is a top team and they both have their set of engineers, so Button better hope he and his side makes the right decisions. Mclaren will offer both of them them equal status in terms of cars, access, fair play etc. And with no refueling, there cannot be any cases of preferential strategies.

BTW this is also the first time Button has had a teammate who is not only better than him but considered one of the best on the gird. It will be intersting to see how he handles the pressure.

Sounds like he is preparing to make excuses. He knew what he ws getting into.

Valve Bounce
19th January 2010, 21:41
Does anyone know who the McLaren test drivers are this year?

gloomyDAY
19th January 2010, 22:09
How in the hell did you reach that conclusion?!

Only a Hamilton fan would make this thread. lol

Sonic
19th January 2010, 22:33
Does anyone know who the McLaren test drivers are this year?

Gary P is still test driver I believe and I guess without PDR around he'll become official reserve too.

truefan72
19th January 2010, 22:36
test drivers these days are meaningless with the severe limitations on tersting. I think Gary P is their 3rd driver more so than a test driver

truefan72
19th January 2010, 22:41
How in the hell did you reach that conclusion?!

Only a Hamilton fan would make this thread. lol

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19012010/23/coulthard-button-balls-line.html

motetarip
19th January 2010, 22:54
Another troll feeding session.

Maybe Button means that sharing knowledge gained through testing will best improve the car. That's revolutionary thinking for you.

ioan
19th January 2010, 23:40
We all saw how 'well' Button did after Rubens got fed up being treated badly and didn't share his data with Button's team.
Probably JB is hoping that he will get all of Hamilton's data. The only problem is that Lewis has a very different driving style and his set up wouldn't help Button at all.

gloomyDAY
19th January 2010, 23:46
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19012010/23/coulthard-button-balls-line.htmlAnother opinion from a retired driver? I'm getting fed up with their quips since they seem to have a foggy crystal ball. Also, David talks a lot for a driver that only ended up facing the opposite direction in 2008.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Button and Hamilton sharing information. Maybe you missed the article in Autosport stating McLaren's restructuring of pit crew. Hammy and Bunsen both get their own set of engineers with a senior engineer looking over data of the both drivers, therefore, getting the best of both drivers. This is the big picture: McLaren wants to haul in the 2010 WCC and I think their line-up is up to the task.

Valve Bounce
20th January 2010, 00:51
Just read the article linked in the OP. Sounds like somebody had to talk to the press to keep them happy with useless information. I wouldn't put much importance on what Bunsen said to these buggers.

Mark
20th January 2010, 08:14
He speaks the truth, During testing, keeping to themselves will hurt both of them, this is the time they do need to work closely together. When it comes to the races, that's a different matter!

Mia 01
20th January 2010, 10:30
The only thing benson wnats is to be threaten fair.

For example the same parts as LH at the same time, sharing data and perhaps the same amount of fuel in the races.

Mark
20th January 2010, 10:42
perhaps the same amount of fuel in the races.

Given that there are no fuel stops in the races this year. I would assume this is a given?

Dave B
20th January 2010, 10:44
Driver expects team-mate to be a team player shock. Move on, nothing to see here.

Mia 01
20th January 2010, 11:05
Given that there are no fuel stops in the races this year. I would assume this is a given?

The teams could speculate on safetycars with one car

Mark
20th January 2010, 11:58
That would be a huge gamble because if there wasn't a safety car then they would run out of fuel. I can't imagine that happening to be honest.. :)

Well I don't think it's meant as they will run out of fuel exactly. But merely if there isn't a safety car, they will have to run on a leaner engine map for the latter half of the race.
The gamble is that you put less fuel in, and then go full rich at the start of the race to make up ground, then hope there is a safety car to save fuel, then go full rich again to the end.

Whereas those who haven't gambled on a safety car won't have had that fuel at their disposal early on and will be that bit heavier at the end of the race too.

Mark
20th January 2010, 12:23
There is also the option of filling the car right up and driving absolutely flat out all the time. Or putting less fuel in and driving more sparingly through the race.

What is certain is that the strategies we've been seeing for around 15 years now are all out of the window!

driveace
20th January 2010, 16:57
A world champion should not need any help from ,another driver,I think Button will struggle with his new job at Mclaren,and maybe Lewis and,his side will give only the smallest help,on his car set up

Mark
20th January 2010, 17:04
A world champion should not need any help from ,another driver

That's not what they are saying. True, Hamilton and Button shouldn't need to help *each other* but they both need to be helping the team!

Sonic
20th January 2010, 17:16
That's not what they are saying. True, Hamilton and Button shouldn't need to help *each other* but they both need to be helping the team!

I know this is the new "touchy feely" McLaren (McFeely if you will) but a team mates first job is to beat the guy across the garage. If I were Lewis I'd be sharing stuff like fuel consumtion and tyre wear etc. But I wouldn't let him see my setup data for all the tea in china.

wedge
21st January 2010, 00:09
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/19012010/58/button-hamilton-discuss-car.html

yes I know the title is a bit misleading but his comments lend me to believe that he is already a desperate man making sure that things will go his way, in particular this comment struck me as curious.

"Lewis is a world champion and he's been with them for three years and done exceptionally well.

"When we start testing we need to be working together and we need to share everything and that's the key for us being ready at the first race," added the Briton, who last spoke to Hamilton face-to-face in November.

the way I read it is that he is looking for Hamilton to help him out the same way Rubens pretty much setup his cars for him. It is akin to him saying that he hopes Hamilton will share his date and help him out.

I'm sure Hamilton will help out a bit but I doubt that he will be as forthcoming as Button hopes. After all, it is a top team and they both have their set of engineers, so Button better hope he and his side makes the right decisions. Mclaren will offer both of them them equal status in terms of cars, access, fair play etc. And with no refueling, there cannot be any cases of preferential strategies.

BTW this is also the first time Button has had a teammate who is not only better than him but considered one of the best on the gird. It will be intersting to see how he handles the pressure.

Sounds like he is preparing to make excuses. He knew what he ws getting into.

I've lambasted Button but I won't go below the belt, scrape the barrel for any excuse to point my fingers.

This is just pre-season PR drilled nonsense. Alonso said similar things

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8460320.stm

"I have no problem with him (Massa)," he said. "I can do a good job with him. I hope we do a good job together because when you work well you have a better car."

Valve Bounce
21st January 2010, 00:49
I've lambasted Button but I won't go below the belt, scrape the barrel for any excuse to point my fingers.

I agree. Can this also be aimed at Red Bull who intend to miss the first testing session?

Personally, I think Bunsen had to say something to the interviewer and this was good company and non controversial PR.

Somehow, I don't go 100% with the belief that a driver's first job is to beat his team mate. WE don't have to look very far to find drivers whose first job was to beat somebody in another team.

F1boat
21st January 2010, 06:36

The difference is that according to armchair experts one is great and other is lucky :(

wedge
21st January 2010, 13:26
I agree. Can this also be aimed at Red Bull who intend to miss the first testing session?

Personally, I think Bunsen had to say something to the interviewer and this was good company and non controversial PR.

Somehow, I don't go 100% with the belief that a driver's first job is to beat his team mate. WE don't have to look very far to find drivers whose first job was to beat somebody in another team.

Just wait till they start racing for wins and then the WDC. Then they'll add I in team!

The difference is that according to armchair experts one is great and other is lucky :(

Dare to call JYS - 3 times WDC an armchair expert?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/jenson-button/6348429/Brazilian-GP-Jenson-Button-must-remind-us-how-good-he-is-by-winning-F1-title.html

F1boat
21st January 2010, 16:48
Just wait till they start racing for wins and then the WDC. Then they'll add I in team!

Dare to call JYS - 3 times WDC an armchair expert?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/jenson-button/6348429/Brazilian-GP-Jenson-Button-must-remind-us-how-good-he-is-by-winning-F1-title.html

Jackie was a great driver, but I disagree with many of his views, being a proud armchair expert myself. :-)

truefan72
22nd January 2010, 00:23
Jackie was a great driver, but I disagree with many of his views, being a proud armchair expert myself. :-)

lls

Valve Bounce
22nd January 2010, 05:22

Well, Brendan Fevola's answer to that was:"There's an 'I' in win".