PDA

View Full Version : How Formula 1 race strategy will be different in 2010

CNR
16th January 2010, 00:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8461293.stm

The first big headache for teams will be calculating the exact amount of fuel to put in the car.
Engineers will have had enough time in winter testing to figure out their fuel consumption rates under different weather/track conditions and engine settings, and can use a lot of their data from last year so this shouldn't be a problem.
Where the headache starts is trying to carry as little fuel as possible to complete the race.

1 thing i find strange is that the fueling will be done before the 3rd session of qualifying
fuel expands in high temperatures.
so some teams may be in trouble if there is a big change in the weather after quilifying

ioan
16th January 2010, 00:15
Strange, I thought that race fuel qualifying was going to be finally scraped and fuel was to be added after qualifying was over.

foxystoat
16th January 2010, 00:33
Yes I thought the cars would be light in 3rd quali not running race fuel this year.

ioan
16th January 2010, 00:47
I hope the Beeb journo made a mistake.
I'll look up the rules tomorrow, however.

Valve Bounce
16th January 2010, 02:03
In the event of a safety car being deployed, the amount of fuel used in such conditions will be less than at full speed. I just wonder if the cars will be permitted to jettison excess fuel after each safety car period! :eek:

winer
16th January 2010, 03:08
Strange, I thought that race fuel qualifying was going to be finally scraped and fuel was to be added after qualifying was over.

I believe this is correct. I could not find a specific reference to this question. The closest I found was "Teams are free to alter their cars’ fuel loads at will during practice and qualifying. However, no refuelling is allowed during the race."

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8714/

CNR
16th January 2010, 06:43
the fuel was in the Q & A with Christian Horner i think i may have red it wrong

It will be interesting with qualifying changing as well, slightly in the third element now with it being a flat-out Q3 without the fuel effect,

ioan
16th January 2010, 11:27
In the event of a safety car being deployed, the amount of fuel used in such conditions will be less than at full speed. I just wonder if the cars will be permitted to jettison excess fuel after each safety car period! :eek:

Why should they?
It would be better for them to change the engine mapping and use the excess fuel to get more power.

christophulus
16th January 2010, 11:29
It'll be interesting to see how aggressive the teams are on fuel loads. I bet we'll see one or two cars running out of fuel in the first race.

Valve Bounce
16th January 2010, 11:38
Why should they?
It would be better for them to change the engine mapping and use the excess fuel to get more power.

Well, I just thought they'd be able to lap faster if the car carried less fuel. But you have a good point. But supposing they had two safety car periods, then surely the driver can't change the engine mapping that much, could he?

ioan
16th January 2010, 11:45
Well, I just thought they'd be able to lap faster if the car carried less fuel. But you have a good point. But supposing they had two safety car periods, then surely the driver can't change the engine mapping that much, could he?

They can change the engine mapping as often as they wish also there is quite some difference between the various engine mappings they use.
They can also chose to have the fuel surplus used up in a few laps or over the rest of the race, it's up to the guys with the laptops to make the maths.

SGWilko
16th January 2010, 11:46

Shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things, the SC periods would affect the field in equal measure wouldn't it?

wedge
16th January 2010, 12:00
TYRES!

Damn the mandatory stops/race two compounds rules!

ioan
16th January 2010, 14:52
TYRES!

2005 made it clear enough that it was very difficult to race on one set of tires with a F1 car. I don't find the pit stops for tires particularly negative.

tinchote
16th January 2010, 15:21
2005 made it clear enough that it was very difficult to race on one set of tires with a F1 car. I don't find the pit stops for tires particularly negative.

That's really a matter of tire design. F1 cars run that way (no stops) for many years (all the 60s, 70s, and early 80s if I'm not wrong). If they could cope back then, they can now.

I have another question (that came to me when you mentioned the "laptops"): is two-way telemetry still banned?

ioan
16th January 2010, 16:32
That's really a matter of tire design. F1 cars run that way (no stops) for many years (all the 60s, 70s, and early 80s if I'm not wrong). If they could cope back then, they can now.

The lateral and the braking forces they reach nowadays in F1 are way above what they used to get back then. I don't know if the 80's rubber would hold up for even half a race nowadays

I have another question (that came to me when you mentioned the "laptops"): is two-way telemetry still banned?

Yes, it is still banned.
The driver has to make the suggested adjustments himself using the modern steering wheel that has about as many buttons and switches as a laptop keyboard! ;)

harvick#1
16th January 2010, 17:00
TYRES!

but now without refuel, I think the tire changing will be alot more aggressive. if a certain compound isn't working for that race, Teams might run one lap and change out. with no refueling, pitstops are gonna be in the DTM range of around 3-4 seconds.

I'm quite excited for the 2010 season, this should be good

52Paddy
17th January 2010, 12:07
I bet we'll see one or two cars running out of fuel in the first race.

Me too. Only Schumacher and Barrichello have experience of racing with no refueling. Teams-wise, I'm not so sure. The four new teams will be facing a challenge, but at least they haven't gotten bedded in to the 09 F1 system. They don't have to change their F1 approach because they're only starting.

Force India, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault have not raced under these circumstances with their current personnel (though it's possible their personnel worked with these regs with another team ala Newey with McLaren?). It will be interesting to see how these teams fare out.

wedge
17th January 2010, 13:35

Ted Kravitz mentioned mandatory 2 pit stops being rumoured.

With a ban on refuelling I particularly like the idea of the race 2 tyre compounds. I like to see a variety of strategy being used

Saint Devote
17th January 2010, 14:31
Tyres will be the next urgent issue in f1. There is need to find a replacement for Bridgstone and a short period of time to do it.

Maybe the next tyre manufacturer will have certain demands that the FIA will have to agree to.

Considering the way Michelin was treated the FIA are fortunate that Todt is now governing and not Max.

Maybe allowing more than one manufacturer and not requiring pitstops is a way to go.

Until the tyre situation is known nobody will even begin to complete 2011 car designs.

Time goes quickly.

Easy Drifter
18th January 2010, 01:08
Unless more than one tire Co. shows serious interest in supplying F1 the tire Co. will have the upper hand in deciding the rules regarding # of compounds and # of mandatory tire changes.
There is no reason a tire cannot be compounded to last the race distance. It probably would result in slower lap times but so what.
It is quite likely whatever Co. comes in will want one compound per race, and quite likely one suitable for many tracks, just to keep their costs down. Supplying one compound and probably 2 or 3 sets per weekend will reduce their costs considerably.
However if things are thrown open to 2 or more companies then the fun begins. Even then things could be controlled by demanding a max. of one full tire change per race, except for flats and then only the flat changed.
Remember also that if multiple tire changes or especially no regular changes, the number of crewmen could be reduced cutting down costs to the teams.
There are a lot of possible senarios for 2011.

Saint Devote
18th January 2010, 01:21
There is one thing that f1 should get rid of - all the artifical nonsense.

This includes requiring tyre changes during a race and the latest silliest idea of "shortcuts".

If f1 wants to attract the public idiots who are entertained that way it will lose its identity.

Instead the tyre companies should construct a tyre that will last an entire distance and the cars will be constructed accordingly.

Aerodynamics, the curse of motor racing should be reduced and lets return to cars that have ENGINES at their soul and drivers that qualify badly with real RACING cars, able to work their way to front based on their individual abilty.

Not the artifical crap of pit stops and the consequent pretense that this is a "team sport". It is a sport of teams. At the end of the day the job of the team is to give the driver the best car. Thats their job.

The driver is involved in the driving and mixing it with pit stops skews reality.

Those who do not like to watch and complain about "boring races" - go watch something else because f1 is not your "thing".

At least in 2010 we will have at last REAL pole positions after the recent tomfoolery.

SGWilko
18th January 2010, 10:33
There is one thing that f1 should get rid of - all the artifical nonsense.

This includes requiring tyre changes during a race and the latest silliest idea of "shortcuts".

If f1 wants to attract the public idiots who are entertained that way it will lose its identity.

Instead the tyre companies should construct a tyre that will last an entire distance and the cars will be constructed accordingly.

Aerodynamics, the curse of motor racing should be reduced and lets return to cars that have ENGINES at their soul and drivers that qualify badly with real RACING cars, able to work their way to front based on their individual abilty.

Not the artifical crap of pit stops and the consequent pretense that this is a "team sport". It is a sport of teams. At the end of the day the job of the team is to give the driver the best car. Thats their job.

The driver is involved in the driving and mixing it with pit stops skews reality.

Those who do not like to watch and complain about "boring races" - go watch something else because f1 is not your "thing".

At least in 2010 we will have at last REAL pole positions after the recent tomfoolery.

Front and rear wings, brakes, tyres & suspension should all be standard.

The rest is fair game within prescribed limits & simple no nonsense regs.

Mark
18th January 2010, 10:44

Of course not. But you could see a team take a gamble on there being a safety car during the race and put slightly less fuel in the car.

CNR
18th January 2010, 11:35
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19658&Itemid=219

Ferrari works on Formula 1 fuel efficiency weakness for 2010

wedge
22nd January 2010, 22:46
Lapped traffic will be interesting. Gone will be the days of pit wall adjusting the strategy accordingly.

Senna used to take no prisoners. He used to take audacious risks with some costly consequences.