PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar Loses Multiple Fuel Settings

DanicaFan
13th January 2010, 14:58
Well, starting this year, the IndyCar Series announced that they are removing the four position fuel mixture switch from the cars. I dont like this. I think they should keep it myself. So now fuel strategy will have to be done other ways like controlling the throttle.

The teams will still have the push to pass system and the new reverse gear so Im glad they kept the one and added the other feature. They also added a new "floating back" headrest to use. This is supposed to reduce the head and neck injuries by helping with the G forces. The kevlar skin of the headrest is attached to the front of the foam and the sides "float", so the driver only feels foam.

Ironcurtainantihero
13th January 2010, 15:50
Well, starting this year, the IndyCar Series announced that they are removing the four position fuel mixture switch from the cars. I dont like this. I think they should keep it myself. So now fuel strategy will have to be done other ways like controlling the throttle.

The teams will still have the push to pass system and the new reverse gear so Im glad they kept the one and added the other feature. They also added a new "floating back" headrest to use. This is supposed to reduce the head and neck injuries by helping with the G forces. The kevlar skin of the headrest is attached to the front of the foam and the sides "float", so the driver only feels foam.

Let me ask you an honest question, DanicaFan. You say you don't like the idea of removing the fuel mixture switch from the cars for 2010. Why don't you like it? I'd really appreciate it if you could explain your reasons why. :)

DanicaFan
13th January 2010, 15:56
Let me ask you an honest question, DanicaFan. You say you don't like the idea of removing the fuel mixture switch from the cars for 2010. Why don't you like it? I'd really appreciate it if you could explain your reasons why. :)

I like the idea of being able to control it. It adds more fuel strategy to the race. Besides, with the fuel settings, Danica almost won the 2005 Indy 500, her rookie year. :)

Ironcurtainantihero
13th January 2010, 15:57
What, actually require the driver to have control of how he/she drives? What a revolutionary idea! :D

I agree with you, Starter. I really like this idea. People here-and other places-say that driving the cars are too easy and anyone can do it. Well, if you have no traction control and no ability to adjust your fuel settings from the car, it will in my opinion show who the great are and who the good and below are in the series.

garyshell
13th January 2010, 16:19

Oh my god! You mean the princess and other drivers will actually have to drive the cars? Heresy!

Gary

Ironcurtainantihero
13th January 2010, 16:49
Oh my god! You mean the princess and other drivers will actually have to drive the cars? Heresy!

Gary

That is precisely what I was getting at, Gary. Out of all of the drivers, the princess is the most likely to be affected by this, and that, I believe, is why DanicaFan is so upset about it, although they don't want to say those exact words. Perhaps this isn't the best time to break it to DF that you can't adjust fuel settings in NASCAR, either. :) :D

garyshell
13th January 2010, 17:10
That is precisely what I was getting at, Gary. Out of all of the drivers, the princess is the most likely to be affected by this, and that, I believe, is why DanicaFan is so upset about it, although they don't want to say those exact words. Perhaps this isn't the best time to break it to DF that you can't adjust fuel settings in NASCAR, either. :) :D

Sorry, but I can't say she is the most likely affected at all. We have no clue about that, except to say that her one win was made on a fuel strategy and I dare say that could not have been totally due to fuel settings. A certain amount of right foot finesse probably came into play.

Gary

NickFalzone
13th January 2010, 17:20
Experience, strategy, and skill all play into a driver's ability to save fuel. Dixon and Franchitti are known to be the 2 best at it, no coincidence they are both 2x champions and Indy 500 winners. Fuel efficiency seems to come into play more on the ovals, which are Danica's strong suit. My guess is that this could have a moderate effect on her oval results, as much of her oval experience has been with fuel knobs. I think the weight distribution rules as of last season had a much more significant impact than the fuel knobs ever will.

harvick#1
13th January 2010, 17:54
they should've gotten rid of the multiple fuel system long back.

with all the technology today, there should still be certain things that the driver still has to do and learning how to conserve fuel is one of them without a knob on the steering wheel.

although with this now, your gonna see alot of single file racing most likely for the first 2/3rds of a race as drivers will just ride around in the tow and save fuel that way

BTW, DF. Nascar doesn't have multiple fuel settings either :p : and its worked just fine

chuck34
13th January 2010, 17:57
Didn't they do this a couple of years ago, or was that just talk? For some reason I think they took the mixtures away for a year or two, nothing really changed, then they gave the mixtures back, and nothing really changed. Much ado about nothing, I think.

NickFalzone
13th January 2010, 18:08
Didn't they do this a couple of years ago, or was that just talk? For some reason I think they took the mixtures away for a year or two, nothing really changed, then they gave the mixtures back, and nothing really changed. Much ado about nothing, I think.

Yeah I don't remember the exact years, but I think 2005 they had the knobs, 2006 they didn't, 2007 they didn't, and 2008 they did, last year they did. I preferred the oval racing in 07 to what we've had the last 2 years, so I do think it could have made a moderate difference for the worse with the knobs.

Mark in Oshawa
13th January 2010, 19:30
The less the sport is automated, the better off the sport will be. Doesn't matter if we are talking fuel, or having computer assisted aero bits or traction control. NASCAR has managed to do just fine because they have banned the electronics from any official sessions.

TURN3
13th January 2010, 22:08

I was thinking the same thing. I know Champ Car did, maybe I'm just confusing my thoughts with that. At any rate, truly a great idea. I called for this last year and I know Starter agreed back then. This just adds to the necessary talent required to be an all around good driver. You can bank that Dixon and Francitti are 2 of the best so it'll be interesting to see who can join that elite group. For the record, Bourdais (the French *****), was amazing at it and was probalby the single most impressive thing he could do....save more fuel than the next guy and stay fast doing it.

SUBARUTEAM
13th January 2010, 22:14
i like it. if you want to save fuel, drive the car conservatively using skill and talanet. good move indy car

NickFalzone
13th January 2010, 22:20
I think the bigger change will be the push to pass, which will be close to 2x as powerful next season. Still not sure how much of an impact it had last season, but I think with the added boost we should see some interesting use now.

Phoenixent
13th January 2010, 22:34
Sorry, but I can't say she is the most likely affected at all. We have no clue about that, except to say that her one win was made on a fuel strategy and I dare say that could not have been totally due to fuel settings. A certain amount of right foot finesse probably came into play.

Gary

Those setting did help her at Long Beach last year. She started at the back and finished 4th with fuel strategy. I doubt it would have happened without those settings to trim the fuel instead of the driver's foot doing it.

garyshell
13th January 2010, 22:48
Those setting did help her at Long Beach last year. She started at the back and finished 4th with fuel strategy. I doubt it would have happened without those settings to trim the fuel instead of the driver's foot doing it.

Not saying they didn't help. Just not sure she will be hurt the most. I don't think she got her one win ONLY because of the dial. I think she did have to use her right foot carefully to accomplish the win.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 00:01
Not saying they didn't help. Just not sure she will be hurt the most. I don't think she got her one win ONLY because of the dial. I think she did have to use her right foot carefully to accomplish the win.

Gary

One thing is for sure, without the Dial, she and others have one more skill to master....

racer69
14th January 2010, 11:36
Great idea, make the drivers work out their own fuel... now if they just got rid of the farcical push to pass...

wedge
14th January 2010, 12:43
Seems silly now they use paddle shifters

I'm against it.

The fuel settings is only one part of the equation. Dario still had to adjust his driving style to save fuel at Homestead.

Get rid of the fuel knob then you might as well get rid of roll ball lever, brake bias, weight jacker. It's band aid for a spec series racing.

bblocker68
14th January 2010, 19:18
This gives an advantage to Champcar guys like Justin Wilson. He was te best at saving fuel.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 19:46
Wedge, having electronics lean out the mixture isn't the same as taking out the other adjustments the driver can make. All it does is add more complication to a sport that should be kept simple. Take that away, and the ONLY way to save fuel will be with the right foot....which is as it should be. Taking other adjustments such as the weight jacker out do not put any MORE skill in the driver's hands, but taking the fuel knob does. Hence the difference...

wedge
14th January 2010, 23:05
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Drivers have been playing with the fuel mixture for how long?

You don't just need a good right foot to maximise a car. You need a good brain as well.

Mark in Oshawa
14th January 2010, 23:17
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Drivers have been playing with the fuel mixture for how long?

You don't just need a good right foot to maximise a car. You need a good brain as well.

You are right, it is a brains thing...but why make it any easier? It aint broke but they are just making it a bit tougher to know how well the driver is saving fuel. It isn't a fix, it is a change that makes driving that car a few points more reliant on the driver's brains.....

wedge
15th January 2010, 13:58
I would say it is any easier just different options.

CART had turbo pressure settings, mixture settings and drivers still had to short shift in road racing.

As I said with Dario at Homestead he was still using 'tricks' to save fuel

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/franchitti-an-amazing-year/

I can’t give away my secrets for saving fuel, but there is stuff that you can do with your driving to improve your consumption. The funny thing is, some people think we’re driving around cruising at that point like you're on the highway saving fuel but you're not. You're actually having to make more up in the corners if you can, and take more risks because you don't have that advantage of having an extra 20 or 30 hp. I was using every trick I knew to make any kind of fuel improvement. It really became key coming up to that last stop, just to make every inch I could on the track to get one more lap out of it.