PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up new modem please

306 Cosworth
11th January 2010, 17:50
Ok so i've got a new wireless modem, followed everything the manual told me to do but still I can't connect to the internet (using my old modem now)

I've done everything I can according to the manual but it just won't connect to the internet.

My current modem is a cheap crappy USB modem that Virgin supply, one of thse pieces of sh*t (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTouch_330)

I've unplugged the old modem and nothing but the new one is connected to the computer via the ethernet port rather than USB like the old one. I've put in the details on the setup wizard such as my username and password but it keeps saying no connection.

Can anyone help me?

This is the screen I see on the setup wizard. I've entered my username and password but i'm not sure what my connect type is (choice of PPPoE, PPPoA, Static IP, Modem Only) and I also don't know what to enter in the VPI/VCI, Encapsulation and the MTU boxes. Is this where it's going wrong?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3354/clipboard02bk.jpg

New modem is a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G-router

Daniel
11th January 2010, 18:12
do virgin not have a generic setup page for you to use?

donKey jote
11th January 2010, 18:30
I spent a good part of my christmas holls trying to get an old wireless modem for my dad to work, and I had all the VPI/VCI, pppoE, wotsit settings...
I got a stage further when I updated the firmware, but I still failed miserably and it really bugs me :mad:

Dave B
12th January 2010, 11:00
1) Are you using Virgin's cable service or via ADSL?

2) Are you connecting via the ethernet port you mentioned, or wirelessly?

3) Daft question - but is the ethernet port on the PC enabled?

306 Cosworth
12th January 2010, 15:23
I think we're using ADSL, but what's the difference between the two?
I'm trying to connect to the internet using the Ethernet port but the old modem is USB. How would I enable the Ethernet port? It must be enabled anyway as the PC recognises that it's connected.

Dave B
12th January 2010, 15:49
If you were on cable then the modem doesn't "dial up" in the traditional sense and therefore is much more plug'n'play. I don't know the settings for Virgin's ADSL service, sadly.

I asked about the ethernet port as some older PCs have the physical socket but no driver software installed. It's rare, but it can catch people out.

Does the PC recognise the modem? Certainly on cable the modem's IP is 192.168.100.1 - have you tried putting that into your browser, it might bring up a setup page.

Daniel
12th January 2010, 15:51
If your standard modem is a speedtouch 330 then you're on ADSL. Have you tried calling Vigin up?

edv
12th January 2010, 16:10
If you're using a new router with existing service, then perhaps you need to clone the MAC address of the old router into the new one, so that your service provider sees 'nothing new'. ?

306 Cosworth
12th January 2010, 17:03
If you're using a new router with existing service, then perhaps you need to clone the MAC address of the old router into the new one, so that your service provider sees 'nothing new'. ?

How do I go about doing that?

I've been through all the set up pages Dave and found some useful info on the Virgin pages but it still hasn't helped. It has an ADSL connection but it still says Internet not connected.

edv
12th January 2010, 21:32
Well, the MAC address is sort of like a unique serial number...every piece of network hardware has a MAC address.
Where I live, the service provider identifies my router by its MAC address.
When I bought a newer wireless router, I forced the MAC address of my previous router into the new one. This is called cloning, and from the standpoint of my service provider, nothing changed, so the service remained seamless and uninterrupted.

If this is indeed the issue in play, then there are 2 options for you:

1) Determine the MAC address of your new router and tell your service provider so that they can update your service
or
2) Fool them into thinking that nothing has changed at your end by cloning the old address.
If you want to try number 2 then here are the steps, assuming Microsoft Windows:

-Hook up your old router.
-Open a DOS (command prompt) window, and at the prompt type ipconfig/all
-look for the 'physical address' and note it down. It's a set of 6 pairs of octal numbers (0-9 and A-F)
-Disconnect the old router and hook up your new one.
-do the ipconfig/all thing again and note down the physical address of your new router (for posterity or in case you need to restore it later)

Now, to change the physical (MAC) address of your new router, you'll need to 'Log In' to the router itself using your WEB browser.
In my experience, all routers have a built-in WEB site that you can access in order to set up security.
Check your manual for this. Typically, the URL will be http://192.168.1.1 and you'll have to log in typically as admin with password = admin
Once inside, navigate to the MAC address cloning feature and change the current address to the old one.
Save changes and voila!

donKey jote
12th January 2010, 22:24
:D
I must try that next time I'm in Madrid :up: