PDA

View Full Version : Money well spent?

Viktory
11th January 2010, 17:04
Just came across this rather interesting article on pitpass.com:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39752

Puts a new light on the amount of money spent by the manufacturers. Sorry if old news.

christophulus
11th January 2010, 17:47
Wow, that is a hell of a lot of money. Toyota spent £1.3bn in eight years? And Ferrari just £900m in sixty!

Sonic
11th January 2010, 17:55
Makes Ferrari seem positively long of pocket and short of arm in comparison. :D

DazzlaF1
11th January 2010, 18:33
If you work that out on spending per season (including engine supply) then its even scarier

1. Toyota ................ £162.5million
2. BMW ................ £96.6million
3. Mercedes ................ £77.4million
4. Honda ................ £66.2million
5. Renault ................ £47.3million
6. Peugeot ................ £19.3million
7. Ford ................ £15.0million
8. Ferrari ................ £14.9million
9. Porsche ................ £3.9million
9. Alfa Romeo ................ £2.7million

All that money every year from Toyota with sweet FA in return, no wonder they pulled out

ioan
11th January 2010, 21:50
The biggest spender in the last 5 years was Honda!
Well, well, this might be a surprise to those who thought that the Brawn GP car was built on a shoe string.

garyshell
11th January 2010, 22:00
If you work that out on spending per season (including engine supply) then its even scarier

1. Toyota ................ £162.5million
2. BMW ................ £96.6million
3. Mercedes ................ £77.4million
4. Honda ................ £66.2million
5. Renault ................ £47.3million
6. Peugeot ................ £19.3million
7. Ford ................ £15.0million
8. Ferrari ................ £14.9million
9. Porsche ................ £3.9million
9. Alfa Romeo ................ £2.7million

All that money every year from Toyota with sweet FA in return, no wonder they pulled out

What exactly IS this list? It sure isn't a list of F1 budgets. So what is it?

Gary

Sonic
11th January 2010, 23:07
Does anyone think that Ioan? Any F1 fan worth their salt knows a cars conception is 9-12 months in the planning.

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 23:22
I´ve read the orginal article, and perhaps Joe didin´t got all things right.

ioan
11th January 2010, 23:39
Does anyone think that Ioan? Any F1 fan worth their salt knows a cars conception is 9-12 months in the planning.

There's plenty of posts dating less than 1 year that suggest that BrawnGP1 was a miracle only due to Ross' genius and was built and won a championship on the 'smallest budget'.

Mia 01
12th January 2010, 00:04
There's plenty of posts dating less than 1 year that suggest that BrawnGP1 was a miracle only due to Ross' genius and was built and won a championship on the 'smallest budget'.

As we don´t all know, what are you meaning?

winer
12th January 2010, 03:49
I'm not sure these numbers are correct. I remember reading that during the last few years of Schumacher's reign at Ferrari that the team budget was on the order of $500 - $600 million US.

Dave B
12th January 2010, 09:36
Apologies if I'm doing anybody a disservice, but I'm sure that when the original figures came out there were a lot of voices claiming that Formula Money wasn't exactly the most reliable of sources.

Still, even as ballpark figures, they're fascinating. You do have to wonder if Toyota might have been better served staying at the factory and burning £20 notes on a bonfire.

Sonic
12th January 2010, 09:51

I'll take your word for as it as I'm not gonna trawl through the backposts! :D

Perhaps the "smallest budget" refered to the opperating cost of the season and not the desig of the car. They did fly easy jet after all. Just guessing though.

SGWilko
12th January 2010, 09:52
I'm not sure these numbers are correct. I remember reading that during the last few years of Schumacher's reign at Ferrari that the team budget was on the order of $500 - $600 million US.

Depends what you are trying to show here. Own money spent only, or own plus sponsor money?

Philip Morris spent the most over the years......

Dave B
12th January 2010, 10:05
There was talk of Brawn having a relatively modest operating budget but I'm confident that we all understood the input Honda had into the car's R&D.