PDA

View Full Version : First sneak-peak of 2010 Ferrari from Gazzetta dello Sport

Giuseppe F1
10th January 2010, 19:28
James Allen reports of the first strongly backed up sneak-peaks of the 2010 Ferrari from the Italian Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper with expert illustrations from reknowned Giorgio Piola, who all regular readers of Autosport magazine will be very familar with.

It seems that the Ferrari will take alot of its aerodynamic cues from the 2009 Red Bull Racing machine.

EXCERPTS:

"It looks pretty aggressive, judging from the drawing by F1’s pre-eminent technical journalist, Giorgio Piola. He is not always right but after over 40 years in the business and with some impeccable contacts at Ferrari, we can be fairly confident that the information is valid....

.....Piola suggests that there are strong echoes of last year’s Red Bull, arguably the most successful car aerodynamically of 2009, the area where Ferrari got it wrong. The cockpit top is higher than last year’s car and the nose has a step in it, like last year’s Red Bull, the diffuser is also said to be similar to the Red Bull.....

.....To accommodate the new rules, the fuel tank is said to be double the size of last year’s at 240 litres, almost six times the size of a Fiat Punto tank, the paper points out. This means that the wheelbase is 15cm longer than the 2009 car. Allowing for the higher minimum weight (620kg) and the full fuel tanks, sitting on the start line of the race, the car will be 185 kilos heavier this year, which is 30% more than last year! That is going to give the brakes a seriously hard time at tracks like Bahrain and Montreal....."

James Allen's full blog post on this story and the Gazzetta images are below:

DETAILS EMERGE OF NEW FERRARI F1 DESIGN:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/01/details-emerge-of-new-ferrari-f1-design/

http://i50.tinypic.com/103aamd.jpg

10th January 2010, 19:33
Hmmm.....shouldn't Ferrari should be fined for letting Gazzetta get hold of that info?

Giuseppe F1
10th January 2010, 19:42
I saw a similar drawing in Woking last week but it had dimensions, tolerances, customs specs and....... Oh sh!t what have I said.. :grenade:

You couldnt make us a photocopy, could you? :)

ioan
10th January 2010, 19:45
I saw a similar drawing in Woking ...

Were you delivering sandwiches to the Woking copy shop?

Saint Devote
10th January 2010, 20:26
As usual a very pretty car from Ferrari. From what can be seen the nose looks a lot neater than 2009.

Interesting the mention that USF1 is seeking to only begin particiaption in Spain. If its true it will definitely start speculation that USF1 is in trouble.

And given the Campos Meta's precarious financial position, Bernie's statement that neither these two teams will be on the grid at Sakhir looks accurate.

10th January 2010, 21:11
I don't think I can be bothered to photocopy over 780 pages of this stuff mate, give me your address and I'll get Renault to post you a copy of the disks.. ;)

No thanks, Renaults dodgy info was out of date when they got it.....we want the live-feed, up-to-date stuff that you have got from Maranello.

harvick#1
10th January 2010, 21:23
the nose cone looks exactly like the Red Bull :mark:

I'll believe the looks when I see it when they launch the car :)

UltimateDanGTR
10th January 2010, 21:54

took the words right out of my err, typing fingures :D

Giuseppe F1
10th January 2010, 22:03

Imitation is the biggest form of flattery and all that jazz

wedge
10th January 2010, 23:26

It was used last year also

http://www.f1technical.net/development/265

Interestingly, the new Bloodhound SSC - designed to break 1000mph uses same concept

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2009/07/BLOODHOUND-SSC.jpg

Saint Devote
11th January 2010, 00:02
Imitation is the biggest form of flattery and all that jazz

With all that money and prestige the "greatest" copies someone else's ideas....

Of course, what happens if under the current regs Newey has gone an entirely DIFFERENT way - talk about Alonso hysterics....!!! :D

F1boat
11th January 2010, 07:33
Sometimes a copycat can be very, very successful. Remember in 2004 - the Ferrari seemed a small evolution from the 2003 troubled car, while the McLaren and the Williams were with radical new design - one of them from the great and infallible Newey - but both of these teams ate dust from Ferrari and even other cars.
Besides, with time tunnels show the correct form. Newey himself stated that he likes rule changes as he uses his undeniable talent and can allow a small team to beat a big one. With time, the big teams get the right design and hit the minors hard.

RJL25
13th January 2010, 10:34
Seems like red bull where onto something last year then... be interesting to see then if red bull evolve their 2009 design or do another radical change

Dave B
13th January 2010, 11:12
Official launch will be Jan 28th in Maranello, accoring to grandprix.com

Dzeidzei
13th January 2010, 12:15

I wish the top teams would refrain from copying, but I guess not. The nose is just ugly.

Looking forward to a beautiful Merc for Nico.

truefan72
13th January 2010, 17:14

yep, I don't blame them for copying it. That 2009 RBR was one sweet car and without the aid of the DD would have been the best and fastest car on the grid, so they obviously would attract many copycats this year. Expect Mclaren,. Williams and Renault to come out with similar designs.