PDA

View Full Version : 575HP means 250lbs less drag

Hoop-98
10th January 2010, 16:29
Taking 250 pounds of drag off the car is the same as 75 HP, at Indy the car really doesn't know the difference.

Now if what Honda said about the RC power is true you can see some possibilities of;

A V6 with out the minimum weight rule should take about 80 pounds off the car. That allows many other components to be lighter, such as clutch, transmission, fuel loads.

If (and I say if as I do not know) we extrapolate all the weight reductions into a 200 pound diet and 625 HP the car would have a P/W ratio of ~2.45 compared to today's car of 2.7.

Today's car had many aero restrictions from the days of chassis competition (such as tunnel exit area), and has a L/D ratio of ~3. With today's technology we could bump that to 3.5 or 3.8 (For Road Course and Short Oval configuration) which would be like a free 100 HP at high speeds.

This could/should result in much better lap times on R/C and short ovals. Possibly the fastest RC car we have ever had.

For the 1.5's the lower power would mean we would need far less wing induced drag, hopefully putting the driver more responsible for speeds.

Now i have no idea if these things will occur, but there is absolutely no technical reason they can't.

I assume the DW guys are a lot more educated in this than I am and I can see some really great technical POSSIBILITIES in this type of formula.

Or it could get screwed up, crossing my fingers.

rh

Hoop-98
10th January 2010, 18:54
A followup on what weight and efficiency could mean.

http://i49.tinypic.com/29xdt21.jpg

In this case the Dallara and DP01 are as currently run, the "Future" assumes 200 pounds lighter (80 from engine) 625 RC Power level and 25 pound average lower fuel load.

in 07/08 The Cosworth was typically at 725 base HP although less for altitude tracks (higher boost requirement made blower go boom).

if, big if of course, something like this was built, it would have the equivalent of 75-150 extra HP over the DP01 or Dallara at 150.

hmmmmm

rh

speeddurango
11th January 2010, 23:19
That is a good news from almost whichever viewing angle since their race is bad enough and 670 HP is not really a high power output worthy of maintaining, whereas with the new engine could have an efficient boost setting for ameliorating the racing.