PDA

View Full Version : Nasty train accident

allycat228
23rd February 2007, 23:48
I hope that everyone has got out allright and that people are not too badly injured

tony_yeboah
23rd February 2007, 23:49
i hope so too, quite scary when u think virgin are the best

if anyone doesn't know, its here http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6391633.stm

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 00:10
:eek: :eek:

Hope there won't be any casualties.

PuddleJumper
24th February 2007, 12:57
Sadly an elderly woman died in the crash in Cumbria last night, and several other people are still in hospital with serious injuries. It's a wonder there were not more injuries when you see how big a derailment it was. The whole train left the the track and nearly all of it ended up in a field at the bottom of an embankment. The Pendolino is built to be very strong and has thankfully proved its strength here.

AndySpeed
24th February 2007, 13:08
i hope so too, quite scary when u think virgin are the best

if anyone doesn't know, its here http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6391633.stm

Well yes, but the main area of investigation at the moment concerns some points, which isn't directly linked to Virgin.

The train and carriages themselves are some of the safest out there

Brown, Jon Brow
24th February 2007, 13:10
None of the window's were smashed which is amazing. If it was an older train more would have died.

My brother was working on that stretch of line for Network Rail last week :uhoh:

stevie_gerrard
24th February 2007, 15:32
it is such sad news :( we are lucky to have such reliable trains like the pendolino that are structurally strong and safer than other trains we have.

janneppi
24th February 2007, 15:40
That's the first time i've heard anyone call Pendolinos reliable, ours are notorious for having mechanical problems.

reidy_fan
24th February 2007, 16:25
they are not reliable but they are strong in a crash, lady luck was also there last night as another train should have passed that point (grayrigg passing loop) at the time that train derailed (it was running to time) fortunately the other train was 7 minutes late and was held about a mile further north. it could have been a hell of a lot worse

reidy_fan
24th February 2007, 16:29
the pendos are not that reliable but they are the best for crash worthiness, god/lady luck was there last night as another train was timed to pass that point (grayrigg goods loop) at the same time, fortunately it was 7 minutes late and was held a few miles north. could have been really bad if it had been a head on at a closing speed of 180mph.

slinkster
24th February 2007, 17:45
Very sad, but miraculous that more people weren't killed...

Hazell B
24th February 2007, 19:07
If anyone's worried about Scuby (he used to be a member here and he's a Virgin train driver) he's fine. It was his day off :)

Dave B
26th February 2007, 12:31
When you see the pictures of the train at the bottom of the embankment, it's remarkable that there weren't more fatalities.

Obviously one death is still one too many, but mercifully the train did a sterling job of protecting its occupants.

Drew
26th February 2007, 16:18
I saw the pictures of the train wreck, tbh it really is incredible how little damage the train took. None of the windows were broken either, so I have heard. Incredible