PDA

View Full Version : Double Diffusers to be banned from 2011

Giuseppe F1
7th January 2010, 15:44
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80766

gloomyDAY
7th January 2010, 16:20
Good: Get rid of those fiddly things sticking out the back.

Bad: Another bloody redesign.

After 2011 there should only be slight evolutions of the car. I think most manufacturers are getting their panties in bunch every time they need to radically change the car for the following year.

Mia 01
7th January 2010, 19:17
Ok, then it will be triple diffusers on some cars this year.

Sonic
7th January 2010, 19:32
Bah! Yet another avenue for inventive technical minds closed off. We are going to loose all the best designers from F1 if there is effectively just one acceptable car design, where every new or inventive is banned straight away - where is the challenge in that? Might as well just give them all Lola's and be done with it.

Ranger
7th January 2010, 23:13
Bah! Yet another avenue for inventive technical minds closed off. We are going to loose all the best designers from F1 if there is effectively just one acceptable car design, where every new or inventive is banned straight away - where is the challenge in that? Might as well just give them all Lola's and be done with it.

The engineers will find something to spend money on, that's why they are employed.

Daniel
8th January 2010, 00:00
I thought people wanted less downforce? What gives?

harvick#1
8th January 2010, 00:16
The Double Diffusers should've been banned last year!!!!!!!

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 19:13
The Double Diffusers should've been banned last year!!!!!!!

Why. Poor developer in the other teams?

Big Ben
8th January 2010, 19:55
There was no reason to ban them last year since it was according to the rules... however they should have banned them for this year since it went against the spirit of the new rules.... less downforce.

Big Ben
8th January 2010, 19:59

I think right now all teams have them (or at least most of them) so I donīt see how it inhibits creativity when you make them come up with something new.

Sonic
8th January 2010, 20:38
I think right now all teams have them (or at least most of them) so I donīt see how it inhibits creativity when you make them come up with something new.

Adrian Newey is on record as feeling the exact opposite.

ioan
8th January 2010, 21:07
There was no reason to ban them last year since it was according to the rules... however they should have banned them for this year since it went against the spirit of the new rules.... less downforce.

The spirit of the rules was exactly the same last season -> less downforce, that's why they shouldn't have had to allow them in the first instance.
However last season the jury was out to destroy the FOTA not to enforce the rule or the spirit of the rules.

F1boat
8th January 2010, 21:32
I care about the rules and I don't give a damn about spirits.

christophulus
8th January 2010, 21:58

Absolutely. Trying to enforce the "spirit" of the rules would mean the rule makers would have to bring their own opinions into the matter. If it's not black and white there's nothing you can do without setting a dangerous precedent.

Having said that, banning them for 2011 is the right move. It's hindering the cars ability to follow each other and should equal closer racing. Until the next loophole is uncovered, that is.

DazzlaF1
8th January 2010, 22:20
Absolutely. Trying to enforce the "spirit" of the rules would mean the rule makers would have to bring their own opinions into the matter. If it's not black and white there's nothing you can do without setting a dangerous precedent.

Having said that, banning them for 2011 is the right move. It's hindering the cars ability to follow each other and should equal closer racing. Until the next loophole is uncovered, that is.
Seconded

It definitely is the correct move to ban them

PSfan
8th January 2010, 22:47
The spirit of the rules was exactly the same last season -> less downforce, that's why they shouldn't have had to allow them in the first instance.
However last season the jury was out to destroy the FOTA not to enforce the rule or the spirit of the rules.

The FIA where not interested in enforcing the rules as worded, so forget about the spirit of them...

and food for thought:

Hole and Gap are synonyms

the transition between the reference and step planes are referred to in the singular 3 times in the tech regs. "the vertical transitions between them and any surfaces rearward of the surfaces lying on the reference or step planes" does not appear to me to be limited to the ref/step plane transition, so irrelevant in the argument that you are allowed multiple transitions between the step and ref planes

is around a hard concept to follow...

No where in 3.12.7 of the tech regs has the word directly in it...

Big Ben
9th January 2010, 13:09
Adrian Newey is on record as feeling the exact opposite.

Adrian Newey sounds like a prima donna. I understand that with the current rules the cars will actually generate the same amount of downforce as before in half a year... if thatīs not creativity than what is? Newey wasnīt creative enough even for these rules so maybe it wouldnīt be such a loss if he went to design boats after all. Everybody predicted the fall of McLaren after he left however they seem to be doing better without him. Iīm not saying he is not good at what he does but I think heīs a bit overrated.

Big Ben
9th January 2010, 13:20

Actually I believe things should be judged to the letter of the law and because the double diffuser was respecting the rules there was no reason to ban it... however since it went against the spirit of the rules they should have changed the rules for 2010 to get the letter of the law closer to the spirit of the law.... I think.

You are one fascinating individual.

wedge
9th January 2010, 13:22
Adrian Newey sounds like a prima donna. I understand that with the current rules the cars will actually generate the same amount of downforce as before in half a year... if thatīs not creativity than what is? Newey wasnīt creative enough even for these rules so maybe it wouldnīt be such a loss if he went to design boats after all. Everybody predicted the fall of McLaren after he left however they seem to be doing better without him. Iīm not saying he is not good at what he does but I think heīs a bit overrated.

True, the boys in Brixworth (Mercedes Benz HPE) see the engine regs as more of a challenge than a stumbling block on creativity.

Re: Newey - last year's RBR could match the Brawns without double diffusers, so yes Newey must be over rated.

Ari
10th January 2010, 08:23
Why. Poor developer in the other teams?

NO.

Because other teams were told they could not have it.

Ari
10th January 2010, 08:25
Btw if they were going to ban them they should have pulled their finger out and made the ban for 2010 before last years season ended.

As it is teams will now need to design a car to carry a full fuel load with diffuser then re-design a new car to carry a full fuel load without diffuser for 2011.

Weren't we supposed to be saving money!?!?!?!?

Idiots.