PDA

View Full Version : Verus to expand racing coverage!

garyshell
6th January 2010, 18:23
Well apparently the IRL is NOT the only series sick and tired of the SpeedTV coverage!

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/scca-world-challenge-to-air-on-versus/

Gary

Jag_Warrior
6th January 2010, 18:43
Great. So there's two racing series I won't be able to watch this season.

bblocker68
6th January 2010, 20:17
Yup.

harvick#1
6th January 2010, 21:41
Great. So there's two racing series I won't be able to watch this season.

but the opposite for me :D

you can always find the races on justin.tv on racedays

NickFalzone
6th January 2010, 22:05
The quality of the justin.tv broadcasts has been lacking imo, although the Australia race last year was ok. Problem being is that often they have good video coverage but all the announcing is in another language, so I end up listening to the IMS radio broadcast while watching the video. Well I did, now I have Versus.

Are we under the assumption that a deal with Direct TV is not going to happen by the time NHL starts? And that the NBC deal makes it even less likely? I have no opinion on that, and I still feel like there's a possibility direct tv will have VS by the time the season starts.

Jag_Warrior
6th January 2010, 23:29
I've never heard of justin.tv before. What is it (asked the man too lazy to use Google right now)?

I haven't heard about any further negotiations between DTV and Versus. I'm not sure where that deal stands. All I've heard about lately is seemingly every content provider wants an increase in what they get paid by the systems. So in a year or two, when the average cable and satellite bill is $150/month for basic service, you guys will just have to tell me who won the races.

MDS
6th January 2010, 23:45
Are we under the assumption that a deal with Direct TV is not going to happen by the time NHL starts? And that the NBC deal makes it even less likely? I have no opinion on that, and I still feel like there's a possibility direct tv will have VS by the time the season starts.

I've asked around and done some reading. Everything I see points to a deal be done in time for the NHL playoffs. Both Comcast and DirecTV are under pressure from the MMA organizations, NHL and the IRL to work this out.

harvick#1
7th January 2010, 01:01
I've never heard of justin.tv before. What is it (asked the man too lazy to use Google right now)?

its a video stream of what ever you want. sporting events, tv shows, movies, etc... I watch all the races and Top gear and whatever else because I dont get BBC America or Speed

Jag_Warrior
7th January 2010, 03:02
its a video stream of what ever you want. sporting events, tv shows, movies, etc... I watch all the races and Top gear and whatever else because I dont get BBC America or Speed

Cool. I didn't know about that.

NickFalzone
7th January 2010, 03:05
I've asked around and done some reading. Everything I see points to a deal be done in time for the NHL playoffs. Both Comcast and DirecTV are under pressure from the MMA organizations, NHL and the IRL to work this out.

Yeah, VS airs the WEC which is owned by UFC. With UFC, IRL, and NHL on their backs, I think this would get done sooner rather than later. The fact that it's still not done shows imo the severe greed on both sides of the table, but eventually one side needs to cave.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2010, 05:39
I am ticked. WC is one of my favourite series and I wont get to see it now. NO VS in Canada boys.....

Speed gave that series coverage when there was no on else interested. Better hope they get that Direct TV thing worked out, but I wont be caring now. To think, the only race I will see of this series now will involve me scooting up to Mosport. Not that is a bad thing, but at least I can see the IRL on TSN up here....

Easy Drifter
7th January 2010, 06:30
For me not if it is on TSN2.
Actually OLN is now Versus Canada but they do not show much of what is on US Versus

bblocker68
7th January 2010, 15:55
There are 2 very good F1 channels on JustinTV also. One plays races from the 90's-present and the other plays the classics from the 70's to the 90's.

Mark in Oshawa
7th January 2010, 22:43
For me not if it is on TSN2.
Actually OLN is now Versus Canada but they do not show much of what is on US Versus

Get Bell Expressvu Drifter....I have my TSN2. Rogers just is holding up putting TSN2 on because it competes with Roger's Sportsnet.

As for VS Canada/OLN...it is damn near unwatchable most of the time. Take off Ed's Up and Mantracker and it is. They cannot put racing on FAST enough for my liking....

Easy Drifter
8th January 2010, 00:43
I have Bell. TSN2 is in an extra charge pkge last I checked and I don't want the other c.

Scotty G.
8th January 2010, 06:41
Versus has already dumped the half hour Indy Lights race shows. Besides the Freedom 100 (I think), there will be no TV for Indy Car's top feeder series this season. Not that there are any real sponsors in Indy Lights to begin with, but try selling that to potential "investors" in the sport. Especially when NASCAR Nationwide, Trucks and ARCA all have most if not all of their races shown on TV (and all get equal to or better ratings then anything Indy Car musters).

And us Direct TV people still can't get the damn network.

Teh Versus deal continues to be a albatross for this sport.

Mark in Oshawa
8th January 2010, 18:58
I have Bell. TSN2 is in an extra charge pkge last I checked and I don't want the other c.

Well...TSN doesn't get the ratings for the IRL they used to get 15 years ago for CART. Yet another symptom of the problem with the sport's decline....

Chamoo
8th January 2010, 20:09
I get TSN2 as part of Rogers.

Mark in Oshawa
9th January 2010, 16:01
I get TSN2 as part of Rogers.

Originally, Roger's didn't carry it Chamoo.... and I think Cogeco still doesn't either...there was a lot of controversay about it...