PDA

View Full Version : De La Rosa at Sauber *confirmed*

Giuseppe F1
3rd January 2010, 16:53
http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/5936.html

Pedro de la Rosa is expected to be announced as Kamui Kobayashi's team-mate at Sauber for 2010.

Swiss newspaper Blick, which has close ties to the Peter Sauber-led team, reported the news is likely to be confirmed soon barring "an earthquake in Hinwil"..........

...........NZZ am Sonntag quoted Peter Sauber as admitting that "an experienced man" with "new knowledge for the team" had been signed to partner Kobayashi in 2010. He also ruled out that this driver was Nick Heidfeld.

Giuseppe F1
3rd January 2010, 16:54
So, where now for poor Nick??

F1boat
3rd January 2010, 17:00
So, where now for poor Nick??

Likely Renault, unless RS gets his place. He also might become a third driver for Merc.

Sonic
3rd January 2010, 17:15
Nick deserves a place in F1 more than Pedro IMO, but it doesn't automatically follow that just because Renault have a seat going spare at the moment that Nick will slide straight into it.

ioan
3rd January 2010, 18:55
De La Rosa?! Did Sauber lose his mind?! He'd better sign Ralf Schumacher than Badoer II.

Sonic
3rd January 2010, 19:18
De La Rosa?! Did Sauber lose his mind?! He'd better sign Ralf Schumacher than Badoer II.

LOL. Hopefully this scuttlebutt is just bored Motorsport press and peter sauber has lined up someone who can partner the explosive kobay.

Pulidor
3rd January 2010, 20:16
Not true. At least yet.
PDLR has denied himself such a rumour.

Link (in spanish, sorry): http://sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=675216&idseccio_PK=1269

donKey jote
3rd January 2010, 20:34
Not true. At least yet.
PDLR has denied himself such a rumour.

Link (in spanish, sorry): http://sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=675216&idseccio_PK=1269

Puli!!
I blinked and I missed you!
:wave:
:donks:

Pulidor
3rd January 2010, 20:51
Hey, Donks! Long time no see, yep! :)

After being "confirmed" by Campos Racing and then "confirmed" by Force India, I won't trust the press in this case anymore.

Besides, IMO there are better candidates out there for this role with Sauber. Don't get me wrong: DLR is such a great character, and if there's somebody who knows McLaren inside out it has to be him, but realistically speaking we have to admit he's past his best, and some other guy deserves the seat more :(

Pulidor
4th January 2010, 00:51
Being said that.... I still wish he get the seat! :D

F1boat
4th January 2010, 06:33
Didn't DLR scored a podium in his last race?

Valve Bounce
4th January 2010, 08:16
http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/5936.html

Pedro de la Rosa is expected to be announced as Kamui Kobayashi's team-mate at Sauber for 2010.

Swiss newspaper Blick, which has close ties to the Peter Sauber-led team, reported the news is likely to be confirmed soon barring "an earthquake in Hinwil"..........

...........NZZ am Sonntag quoted Peter Sauber as admitting that "an experienced man" with "new knowledge for the team" had been signed to partner Kobayashi in 2010. He also ruled out that this driver was Nick Heidfeld.

Is this for GP2 or Formula Ford??

Valve Bounce
4th January 2010, 08:17
Puli!!
I blinked and I missed you!
:wave:
:donks:
I think that I need to say "hi" It's a long time till pino's chat for the next race. I do get live F1 here in Oz now. :)

Valve Bounce
4th January 2010, 08:18
LOL. Hopefully this scuttlebutt is just bored Motorsport press and peter sauber has lined up someone who can partner the explosive kobay.

Sato?

CNR
4th January 2010, 08:57
F1 : Pedro de la Rosa denies reports of Sauber Formula 1 drive in 2010 (http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19501&Itemid=219)

Pedro de la Rosa has reportedly denied reports he has signed to be Kamui Kobayashi's Formula One team-mate at Sauber in 2010. The Swiss newspaper said

I am evil Homer
4th January 2010, 09:50

My feelins exactly...Pedro really has no place in F1 now, he's simply too slow.

Mia 01
4th January 2010, 10:03
Peter sauber has denied that PDLR is joining the team.

Itīs another experienced driver, probably Fisi, (ferrari engines).

ShiftingGears
4th January 2010, 10:47
Didn't DLR scored a podium in his last race?

No. He scored a second place in Hungary 2006 however.

jens
5th January 2010, 11:47
It certainly sounds a strange choice, probably Peter is so clearly out of cash that he is trying to get every penny that is possible (those rumoured $5M with Pedro). Heidfeld is of course the best option, but if that doesn't work out, my second choice would be Fisichella.

Well, what a weird silly season we are having. Who would have thought a year ago that Schumacher, de la Rosa and Barrichello would be racing in F1 in 2010? In what has been quite a youth-obsessed F1 recently, the average age of racers is suddenly rising. :p :

DexDexter
5th January 2010, 13:04

Why on earth would the sign him instead of Heidfeld? Just don't get it. Must be related to money.

It certainly sounds a strange choice, probably Peter is so clearly out of cash that he is trying to get every penny that is possible (those rumoured $5M with Pedro). Heidfeld is of course the best option, but if that doesn't work out, my second choice would be Fisichella.

Well, what a weird silly season we are having. Who would have thought a year ago that Schumacher, de la Rosa and Barrichello would be racing in F1 in 2010? In what has been quite a youth-obsessed F1 recently, the average age of racers is suddenly rising. :p :

Fisi? His time is up and the way he drove the Ferrari should put him out of F1 for good.

jens
5th January 2010, 13:36
Fisi? His time is up and the way he drove the Ferrari should put him out of F1 for good.

As I said, IMO he is the second best choice at the market after Heidfeld at the moment or do you know someone else? Yes, admittedly Fisichella isn't very good in adapting, so that's how his Ferrari stint went into trashcan.

However, I think Fisi is quite an underrated driver at the moment. He was hailed as a future superstar during his Jordan and Benetton days, but I think he performed much in the same vein during his Force India stint as well. He has had his usual waves of inconsistency, but has put in numerous great drives as well. Just because the car was so uncompetitive most of the time it wasn't noticed nor did it get the same attention as during his Jordan/Benetton career. I have even a feeling that Force India may have made a mistake by letting Fisi go.

I am evil Homer
5th January 2010, 13:59
I think FI had no option given the money they owed Ferrari. His Ferrari stint was poor but I think Fisi could still do a decent job at a mid-field team, although Nick is a better driver IMO.

RS
5th January 2010, 20:00
De la Rosa seems a strange choice, must be money.

I would have rather taken Heidfeld, Sato, or a younger driver like Klien who already knows the team.

ShiftingGears
5th January 2010, 23:21
De la Rosa seems a strange choice, must be money.

I would have rather taken Heidfeld, Sato, or a younger driver like Klien who already knows the team.

Why Sato or Klien? They both showed nothing against teammates with reasonable pace at the least.

truefan72
5th January 2010, 23:33

its early 2010 and I'm agreeing with ioan :)

But unitl I see the actual announcement, I find it very very hard to believe that PDLR will be at sauber, it makes no sense whatsoever, given that Klien and heidfeld are already company men and available.

if he is looking for experience and some speed then heidfeld is a better choice than DLR, if he needs youth and speed, then klien is a better choice than DLR, I'd say that naka is better option than PDLR and klien imo

either way you look at it PDLR should be everyone's last choice.

DexDexter
6th January 2010, 08:51
As I said, IMO he is the second best choice at the market after Heidfeld at the moment or do you know someone else? Yes, admittedly Fisichella isn't very good in adapting, so that's how his Ferrari stint went into trashcan.

However, I think Fisi is quite an underrated driver at the moment. He was hailed as a future superstar during his Jordan and Benetton days, but I think he performed much in the same vein during his Force India stint as well. He has had his usual waves of inconsistency, but has put in numerous great drives as well. Just because the car was so uncompetitive most of the time it wasn't noticed nor did it get the same attention as during his Jordan/Benetton career. I have even a feeling that Force India may have made a mistake by letting Fisi go.

Sorry Jens but after what he did in a Ferrari in comparison to Kimi, he should drive taxis.

Garry Walker
6th January 2010, 09:47
Sorry Jens but after what he did in a Ferrari in comparison to Kimi, he should drive taxis.

He showed up bad against KR, but KR is amongst the top three drivers in the world (along with Massa and LH).
He would still deserve a place in F1 over such guys as Liuzzi.

Pedro is actually a decent driver, I would rather sign him than Klien or Nakajima who have never shown anything.

RS
6th January 2010, 10:07
Why Sato or Klien? They both showed nothing against teammates with reasonable pace at the least.

But over De la Rosa.. who hasn't raced in F1 for three years, and is 38 years old already. We are not talking Michael Schumacher here. If he is bringing some money then I can understand the choice, because he would probably do an ok job and would not just be a pay driver.

Sato and Klien are both a lot younger but both have experience and are not without speed. Klien didn't do bad against two very experienced and quick team mates and never had a great run at Red Bull. When he tested for Force India he was the quickest of anyone they tried but they took Fisi. Sato did great things in a Super Aguri...

Maybe we will have an all Japanese team at Sauber?

I would definitely take Sato over Nakajima who failed to score a single point the whole of last year in a fairly competitive Williams.

Garry Walker
6th January 2010, 10:23
The one thing that goes against Pedro is his age and the fact he has been out of F1 competition for 3 years plus. He showed he was a good driver when he filled in for Montoya and he is an excellent test driver. MS has shown that age may not necessarily be a hurdle and I wish Pedro all the best. I'm sure he'll be in the race seat for a season and then move into a test role where he'll be valuable in getting the team in the right direction. I suppose the nature of his role over the past 8 years or so is to adapt quickly when trying different setups, so he may surprise us all.. :)

How do you know he is an excellent test-driver?

truefan72
6th January 2010, 22:43
How do you know he is an excellent test-driver?

good question
if there is one thing that last year proved is that being a "seasoned" test drivers does not qulify you to be a competitive F1 racer.

keysersoze
7th January 2010, 02:37
Klein: 0 wins, 0 poles
de la Rosa: 0 wins, 0 poles
Heidfeld: 0 wins, 0 poles
Fisi: 3 wins (with two teams), 4 poles (with three teams)

GF has brought along / helped develop Massa (Sauber), Kovalainen (Renault), and Sutil (Force India). Two of the three graduated to better teams. Of the four, he seems a better fit for Kobayashi.

Then again, my gut tells me that Heidfeld would be just as quick and probably get more out of the car in race conditions. He seems like a gutsier racer and wouldn't be inclined to let drivers by, like Heike ('09) and Kimi ('06) did to Fisi in Japan.

I'd like to see Klein in a race seat and wouldn't be disappointed if he got it.

I would've liked to see PDLR get a second chance . . . about four years ago.

RS
7th January 2010, 08:53

I would agree with that!

I would also think Fisi would be a beter choice than De la Rosa. I wonder whether we (collectively as F1 fans) were rather harsh on Badoer now looking at how Fisi performed in the Ferrari. It was clearly a very difficult car to drive.

Garry Walker
7th January 2010, 09:34
good question
if there is one thing that last year proved is that being a "seasoned" test drivers does not qulify you to be a competitive F1 racer.

Being a good test driver is not the same as being a fast racer. Badoer was the first, but never the 2nd.

woody2goody
7th January 2010, 12:17
Klein: 0 wins, 0 poles
de la Rosa: 0 wins, 0 poles
Heidfeld: 0 wins, 0 poles
Fisi: 3 wins (with two teams), 4 poles (with three teams)

GF has brought along / helped develop Massa (Sauber), Kovalainen (Renault), and Sutil (Force India). Two of the three graduated to better teams. Of the four, he seems a better fit for Kobayashi.

Then again, my gut tells me that Heidfeld would be just as quick and probably get more out of the car in race conditions. He seems like a gutsier racer and wouldn't be inclined to let drivers by, like Heike ('09) and Kimi ('06) did to Fisi in Japan.

I'd like to see Klein in a race seat and wouldn't be disappointed if he got it.

Don't want to nit-pick, but Heidfeld does have one Pole, at the Nurburgring in 2005 :)

Before the announcement of Kobayashi, I'd have loved it to be Heidfeld and Klien at Sauber, but now that there's one seat left, it has to go to Nick, who had a good season last year, out-performing (IMO) his supposedly higher rated team-mate.

PS I still think either one of the three would beat Kobayashi. No offence to the guy because he's pretty good, just the others would have been better I reckon.

woody2goody
7th January 2010, 12:21
Being a good test driver is not the same as being a fast racer. Badoer was the first, but never the 2nd.

Well the only time Badoer wasn't a fast racer happened in the same situation that Fisi didn't do well in either. He was pretty good for Minardi and Scuderia Italia.

Anyway that's not the point. The fact that both men were so bad in that car must prove it was hard to drive.

I hope Ferrari make a better one for 2010, and give Massa and Alonso the chance to fight at the front.

Garry Walker
7th January 2010, 13:04
'
PS I still think either one of the three would beat Kobayashi. No offence to the guy because he's pretty good, just the others would have been better I reckon.

Who? Klien? The guy who has lost to both of his teammates by a clear margin in F1? Hell, even Doornbos was more impressive against DC than Klien was. I cannot understand the obsession so many have with CK, he did nothing in his F1 career.
Kobayashi is FAR more (and it is not even remotely close) deserving of the seat than CK who has had far too many chances already.
As for Fisi, he is a good driver, but never will amount to anything special. Kobayashi still has lots of potential that we cannot yet properly assess. He might turn out a superstar or he might not. With the others, we know they arent superstars.

Well the only time Badoer wasn't a fast racer happened in the same situation that Fisi didn't do well in either. He was pretty good for Minardi and Scuderia Italia.

Pretty good? What do you base that on? the guy did nothing and did not shine against his teammates (weak teammates) either. In fact, he was outqualified by such a superstar as Pedro Lamy.
When both he and his teammate finished, he more often than not was the one finishing behind his "highly" rated teammates.

ioan
7th January 2010, 17:51
Well the only time Badoer wasn't a fast racer happened in the same situation that Fisi didn't do well in either.

There is no way you can compare Fisi's medium speed in the F60 with Badoer's horrible showing in the same car.

ioan
7th January 2010, 18:17
You could if you say that Fisi was driving in F1 right up until he moved to Ferrari, and Badoer had just taken over after a 10 year break.

Something you can't quantify can't be used for comparisons.

Nikki Katz
7th January 2010, 18:23
I don't think that de la Rosa's a good option. He impressed a few the first couple of races he subbed for Montoya, but was pretty badly beaten by Raikkonen the rest of the season, much more so than Montoya was. And that was ages ago! Isn't he about 40 now? Schumacher's return seems to be opening the doors for people who should've retired a long time ago.

I'd prefer Heidfeld in the seat, or Fisichella if that didn't happen. de la Rosa and Kobayashi is definitely a budget lineup.

Mia 01
7th January 2010, 19:08
I once moore say that it wíll be Fisi, the guy with the Ferrari engines.

Giuseppe F1
11th January 2010, 11:28
Apparently the Pedro de la Rosa/Sauber deal is due to be announced 'within days' according to latest reports which seem to have some weight behind them

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/6390.html

Apparently Pedro WILL be bringing some money with him via Spanish brand 'Universia' which is a subsidiary of Spanish Ferrari/McLaren sponsor Santander and as many will know supported Alonson at Renault last year.

This last point must add extra salt into Adrian Campos' wounds as we all know he needs money and would like nothing more than to have Spanish sponsors and in particular, de la Rosa in his team and so this would seem to tick all the boxes.

Maybe the Universia money Pedro brings isnt as much as Adrian needs or as much as what Maldonado/Petrov bring. But for Campos, as a rookie team, to embark on their debut season with 2 rookie drivers, is gonna be a HUGE uphill struggle IMO

K-Pu
11th January 2010, 15:16
If this one is finally true, this will be a big one (at least for me).

A team with Peter Sauber at the top with Kamui "Banzai" Kobayashi and Pedro "el Lijas" de la Rosa at the wheel.

Now I know who Iīm going to support!

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 19:58
If this one is finally true, this will be a big one (at least for me).

A team with Peter Sauber at the top with Kamui "Banzai" Kobayashi and Pedro "el Lijas" de la Rosa at the wheel.

Now I know who Iīm going to support!

The team will need some points this year, else they will be out.

ioan
11th January 2010, 22:03
I will definitely not support Sauber (for the first time since their F1 involvement) if he goes the pay driver way, especially with expired goods like de la Rosa.

Josti
11th January 2010, 22:33
With such strong ties to the team, it's hard to believe that Heidfeld can't manage the Sauber seat. He's a driver that still owns potential and he's probably also the nicest driver to have in your team, let alone a true professional. Is it that hard for him to find the necessary budget, or is he purposely looking for something else?

As for Pedro de la Rosa, I always liked him, but indeed he is way over his prime. A drive with Campos would make more sense to me, as a driver with experience and vast development skills, and of course the fact that he's Spanish. Could help in case of garning sponsorship.

I'm not really rooting for Sauber next year, in case of a Kobayashi-de la Rosa combination, sorry.

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 22:50
With such strong ties to the team, it's hard to believe that Heidfeld can't manage the Sauber seat. He's a driver that still owns potential and he's probably also the nicest driver to have in your team, let alone a true professional. Is it that hard for him to find the necessary budget, or is he purposely looking for something else?

As for Pedro de la Rosa, I always liked him, but indeed he is way over his prime. A drive with Campos would make more sense to me, as a driver with experience and vast development skills, and of course the fact that he's Spanish. Could help in case of garning sponsorship.

I'm not really rooting for Sauber next year, in case of a Kobayashi-de la Rosa combination, sorry.

Peter needs a lot of money to run the team this year and perhaps next year.

K-Pu
11th January 2010, 22:53
I will definitely not support Sauber (for the first time since their F1 involvement) if he goes the pay driver way, especially with expired goods like de la Rosa.

Well, letīs see if Schumacher is also expired goods...

ioan
11th January 2010, 23:34
Well, letīs see if Schumacher is also expired goods...

He'll probably top de la Rosa without serious efforts, not to mention that he isn't coming back through the back door buying a seat for himself.

Mia 01
12th January 2010, 00:06
He'll probably top de la Rosa without serious efforts, not to mention that he isn't coming back through the back door buying a seat for himself.

Until the confirmations of the facts.

VkmSpouge
12th January 2010, 00:37

Are you certain de la Rosa is buying himself a seat? The reason Campos were giving for not signing him was that he wasn't bringing a lot money.

Saint Devote
12th January 2010, 00:39
From the sublime to he ridiculous - the possibility that de la Rosa and Sato and Nakajima return but Raikonnen out of f1 and drivers like Petrov and di Resta that have good potential are not even considered.

What a pathetic commentary on f1 if that is the case.

But then why be surprised - f1 is becoming less a world championship and more a money-bling-Asian contest on "technical" [aka boring as Oschersleben] tracks.

There was a time when tracks were known for their corners - now its for the scenery.

K-Pu
12th January 2010, 00:58
Are you certain de la Rosa is buying himself a seat? The reason Campos were giving for not signing him was that he wasn't bringing a lot money.

Ouch, that had to hurt!

F1boat
12th January 2010, 07:27
I once moore say that it wíll be Fisi, the guy with the Ferrari engines.

Looks logical.

Dave B
12th January 2010, 10:07
Joe Saward is reporting that the de la Rosa move looks more and more certain:

The sources are multiplying all the time with the Swiss and the Spanish now reporting that the announcement of Pedro de la Rosa as Kamui Kobayashi’s team-mate is now imminent. The word is that he will have a one-year contract with an option for a second year.

Full story: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/de-la-rosa-and-sauber/

ioan
13th January 2010, 17:04
Until the confirmations of the facts.

That's why I said probably. ;)

ioan
13th January 2010, 17:05

Maybe Sauber need less money than Campos?! Just a thought.

Mia 01
13th January 2010, 19:45
How much cost thoose Cosworth engines a team each year?

Was it five million dollars?

ioan
13th January 2010, 20:48
How much cost thoose Cosworth engines a team each year?

Was it five million dollars?

More like 5 million Euros.

Giuseppe F1
17th January 2010, 12:36
Maybe Heidfeld is staying at Sauber or maybe they will go withe other younger guys rumoured to have big money such as Petrov, Maldonado or Baguette......

.....this Autosport news piece says De La Rosa will be testing the new McLaren in February so suggests he wont be off to Sauber after all

Giuseppe F1
17th January 2010, 12:37
Heres the link:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80941

Giuseppe F1
17th January 2010, 13:11
Or of course, could be Fisichella

Pulidor
19th January 2010, 12:02
Finally, it IS official:
http://press_en.bmw-sauber-f1-team.ch/2010/01/pedro-de-la-rosa-startet-im-bmw-sauber.html
http://www.pedrodelarosa.com/english/index.php

It was about time! YAY!!!! :D

My guess is that he's gonna be at least as fast as the newest F1 sensation, his partner Kobayashi. Their pace is gonna be quite similar in Qualifying, but PDRL's experience is gonna make it easier for him to bring more points for Sauber during the races.

I only wish Sauber can provide a reasonably fast and reliable car. But hey...who's one of the bests guys in improving F1 cars? ;)

Giuseppe F1
19th January 2010, 12:16
This makes it even more curious why Pedro will be drivingh the new McLaren on the first daty of testing of their new car as Jenson confirmed recently...

...how and why would McLaren possibly let a now known competitor run in their brand new car and be privy to some of their new secrets/technology etc???

I am evil Homer
19th January 2010, 12:37
What a waste of a potentially good seat

maximilian
19th January 2010, 12:40
It is inconceivable why Sauber would choose de la Rosa over Heidfeld. I can't think of ONE good reason, other than he might be cheaper :confused:

I am evil Homer
19th January 2010, 13:49
It's Sauber...they know how to design and run F1 cars. Why employing a slow driver is going to help them I have no idea.

Robinho
19th January 2010, 13:51
This makes it even more curious why Pedro will be drivingh the new McLaren on the first daty of testing of their new car as Jenson confirmed recently...

...how and why would McLaren possibly let a now known competitor run in their brand new car and be privy to some of their new secrets/technology etc???

well he won't be now he's signed with another team, presumabley the plan was to retain him for testing duties at McLaren until he went for a race seat - i expect McLaren will let Lewis/Jenson do all the running or we'll see Paffet/Di Resta (or someone similar) confirmed as tester

ShiftingGears
19th January 2010, 13:52
Does this mean that Heidfeld is out of F1 in 2010? I don't particularly like him, but he is definitely deserving of a seat.

N. Jones
19th January 2010, 13:52
de la Rosa?!?!?! How can he get a drive over Nick Heidfeld is something I will never understand. :mad:

pino
19th January 2010, 14:10
Does this mean that Heidfeld is out of F1 in 2010? I don't particularly like him, but he is definitely deserving of a seat.

Totally agree with you.

keysersoze
19th January 2010, 14:22
With Pedro as a teammate, it will be more difficult to put Kobayashi's performance in perspective. Nick and Fisi are (were) better yardsticks for the young Japanese driver.

Donney
19th January 2010, 15:02
I for one am really happy about this news. Now it's time for Pedro to show if he's got what it takes.

K-Pu
19th January 2010, 15:13
Now this IS good news. Not good, better! In fact, this adds more excitement for the upcoming season, and I really hope Pedro does a good job.

Iīm a big Pedro fan, so donīt take me seriously. I only want to see him racing again :D

Donney
19th January 2010, 15:38
I think our flags might explain our sudden burst of happiness....

Dave B
19th January 2010, 16:30
Like others above, I'm no great fan of Nick "Mr Consistent" Heidfeld, but I'd pick him and his experience over de la Rosa any day, even if the Spaniard came waving a huge wad of cash.

F1boat
19th January 2010, 16:33
I am happy for De La Rosa as well. I will always remember his duel with the great Michael Schumacher in Hungary 07 :)

UltimateDanGTR
19th January 2010, 17:20
with this, i implore someone give heidfeld a drive. he deserves it alo, hes a good driver, consistent, though lacking absoloute blistering pace, is better than many IMO.

ioan
19th January 2010, 18:09
Crap. One less team to support for me.

ioan
19th January 2010, 18:10
I am happy for De La Rosa as well. I will always remember his duel with the great Michael Schumacher in Hungary 07 :)

I thought MS retired at the end of 2006 season. :\

Mia 01
19th January 2010, 18:11
This very good news for PDL (wonder how much money he brings with him?).

Sorry for the team and Peter, not looking so good for the future when they need paydrivers.

Sorry for Nick, one of the better driver of last years grid.

jens
19th January 2010, 18:53
Well, Kobayashi definetely needs to beat de la Rosa if he wants to establish himself as some kind of a future hopeful. Don't have high expectations on Pedro - he may not perform embarrassingly, but don't expect any really spectacular moments either with the exception of a rare moment here or there. Maybe some decent results from DLR can be expected in wet races - as I recall, he was usually good in those.

Probably de la Rosa will last in F1 no more than that one season before making room to Bianchi for 2011.

Saint Devote
20th January 2010, 00:26
Going to be an interesting year as f1 increases the ages of drivers being hired. Rubens has company!!!

De la Rosa is a good development driver and as testing is stupidly managed by the FIA the Friday sessions become testing opportunities.

Peter Sauber is not an idiot - how else to have a driver like Pedro develop the car without him being one of the race drivers.

Sauber has made good choices I'd say. He is giving a young new driver who showed well aside from his inexperience a chance - typical Sauber and well done.

Kobayashi can learn a lot from de la Rosa.

And the Spaniard is I am sure extremely happy about racing once again.

Maybe both bring money, but thats their good fortune to be backed - neither driver should NOT be in f1.

macksrallye
20th January 2010, 01:23
De la Rosa is a good development driver and as testing is stupidly managed by the FIA the Friday sessions become testing opportunities.

Peter Sauber is not an idiot - how else to have a driver like Pedro develop the car without him being one of the race drivers.

This is a very interesting point. I wonder how much this had to do with it. With Ferrari engines I'm sure at some point Bianchi is going to be put into Sauber for a bit of pre-Ferrari development (rather like Massa) so having De la Rosa develop the car for 1-2 years & then slide into a testing role could be a very good move for the future.

Having said all of this I would have rather seen Heidfeld in the seat.

K-Pu
20th January 2010, 01:24
Maybe they hired Pedro because when Hamilton was asked at McLaren about the setting of the car, he usually answered: "What Pedro says".

Of course, he also brings money, but the difference between a Pedro and a Délétraz is more than evident, which should lead us to the question of Petrov. Pay driver or not? Of course he brings valuable money from his sponsors, but IMHO he deserves a try at F1 because of his skill at the wheel and not with the wallet. A bit off-topic, but the perception of "pay drivers" changes in a quite funny way, because if you (anyone) thinks a driver is good enough, he is not a pay driver. Pay drivers are mediocre and get theit seat only because of money, and thatīs it.

Quite subjective... so what do you have to think when a driver has money and skill?

Saint Devote
20th January 2010, 03:07
This is a very interesting point. I wonder how much this had to do with it. With Ferrari engines I'm sure at some point Bianchi is going to be put into Sauber for a bit of pre-Ferrari development (rather like Massa) so having De la Rosa develop the car for 1-2 years & then slide into a testing role could be a very good move for the future.

Having said all of this I would have rather seen Heidfeld in the seat.

Heidfeld IS a wily race driver but I think the decision to sign de la Rosa, considering that Peter Sauber knows the abilities of Heidfeld well, was the Spaniard's testing experience.

I hope that de la Rosa will acquit himself well - at this stage looking at his competent Mclaren performance - albit in a different era - we can expect him not to disappoint.

Saint Devote
20th January 2010, 03:09
Maybe they hired Pedro because when Hamilton was asked at McLaren about the setting of the car, he usually answered: "What Pedro says".

Pay drivers are mediocre and get theit seat only because of money, and thatīs it.

Quite subjective... so what do you have to think when a driver has money and skill?

These days a driver has to bring money so it does not quite carry the misguided stigma that it used to.

F1boat
20th January 2010, 06:54
Going to be an interesting year as f1 increases the ages of drivers being hired. Rubens has company!!!

I am happy for this - old boys do well in other form of motorsports, like the Le Mans series and the LMP cars are not so different to F1. No need to focus 100% on young guns...

Valve Bounce
20th January 2010, 07:40
I am happy for this - old boys do well in other form of motorsports, like the Le Mans series and the LMP cars are not so different to F1. No need to focus 100% on young guns...

Rumour has it that McLaren initially offered the second seat to Jack Brabham, but Black Jack had to decline because of gout in his right big toe.

maximilian
21st January 2010, 18:54
Looks like Santander money had more than just a little to do with de la Rosa's appointment - definitely a cheaper solution than Heidfeld, and there you go, that made the difference.

I can't quite figure out why Santander would wanna sponsor an aging test driver, instead of a pretty decent upcoming talent like Andy Soucek... :rolleyes:

Pulidor
21st January 2010, 19:08
Looks like Santander money had more than just a little to do with de la Rosa's appointment - definitely a cheaper solution than Heidfeld, and there you go, that made the difference.

I can't quite figure out why Santander would wanna sponsor an aging test driver, instead of a pretty decent upcoming talent like Andy Soucek... :rolleyes:

Well, as far as I'm aware, PDLR is NOT bringing any money to Sauber. He himself denied such a thing on Tuesday night on a national radio (cadena ser) during a live interview. His link with Santander is strictly personal, not being involved with any team, through their brand "Universia". Same as Alonso-Universia-Renault. In fact, PDLR insisted that he's losing money in comparison to his McLaren contract, and that he wishes he could help Sauber financially speaking.

Dzeidzei
21st January 2010, 19:47
Crap. One less team to support for me.

So if Santander buys a team, you wont support them anymore?

Will you be a Force India fan then? I doubt you'll turn to McLaren :)

Big Ben
21st January 2010, 21:06
I'm glad for him. He waited a long time. I hope heīll have a decent car. I wonder why people are so against him. Heīs not bad and seems quite a nice guy.

Big Ben
21st January 2010, 21:12
So if Santander buys a team, you wont support them anymore?

Will you be a Force India fan then? I doubt you'll turn to McLaren :)

Thatīs a shame. Ioanīs sleeping with the fishes now. He wonīt be able to tell he doesnīt feel the need to explain simple things to inferior people. Hey Ioan, are you reading this? Wouldnīt it be nice to be able to post a cocky reply now? :laugh:

maximilian
22nd January 2010, 00:01
Well, as far as I'm aware, PDLR is NOT bringing any money to Sauber. He himself denied such a thing on Tuesday night on a national radio (cadena ser) during a live interview. His link with Santander is strictly personal, not being involved with any team, through their brand "Universia". Same as Alonso-Universia-Renault. In fact, PDLR insisted that he's losing money in comparison to his McLaren contract, and that he wishes he could help Sauber financially speaking.
"Personal sponsorship" means there is SOME money coming in from Santander. My guess is, they are at least paying Pedro's salary, saving Sauber from paying Heidfeld - and that may well have made the difference. We'll see if there is any Santander branding on the car, as well.

I wish Pedro well. I think it's great he's getting another chance after being on the sidelines for so long, and I hope he makes the best of it. Sauber could have certainly done a lot WORSE! :)

truefan72
22nd January 2010, 00:27

who knows.

anyway PDLR will be gone midseason

F1boat
22nd January 2010, 07:02
I'm glad for him. He waited a long time. I hope heīll have a decent car. I wonder why people are so against him. Heīs not bad and seems quite a nice guy.

IMO some people view F1 as child's play and consider every driver above 30 as old man. While in other series with fast cars old drivers are doing pretty well - like LMS or ALMS :) IMO it is because of marketing. Younger drivers are more marketable, unless the old boy is a legend like MS.

Donney
22nd January 2010, 08:07
who knows.

anyway PDLR will be gone midseason

Just out of curiosity, gone where?

Saint Devote
22nd January 2010, 10:34
IMO some people view F1 as child's play and consider every driver above 30 as old man. While in other series with fast cars old drivers are doing pretty well - like LMS or ALMS :) IMO it is because of marketing. Younger drivers are more marketable, unless the old boy is a legend like MS.

More marketable?

The baby boom generation is older and has far more in population and spending terms. Then the next generation have more than the one after them.

A driver of Schumi's age that will deliver results I would say is far MORE marketable than an inexperienced 20 year old.