PDA

View Full Version : What happens?

AndySpeed
23rd February 2007, 13:39
Despite trying to talk him out of it, one of my flat-mates has decided to bunk the afternoon off work, purporting to be ill (which to be fair he has a cold/flu but not really enough to stop him working).

He phoned his workplace and told them he was ill early on, and they asked him to phone back and go to the doctors just before incase he was feeling any better (which he did [phone], but no changes there)

I suggested that he just tough it out and go, at least there's money involved, but he has persisted and continued to bunk it.

Just curious if a workplace, if they thought someone was dubiously skipping work for a shift, could find out more? I wouldn't think so, especially since its only part-time retail work!

What does a workplace usually do when someone phones in sick? Just keep an eye on their record for doing so and not much else? It depends as the job varies, I guess, but I'm talking about not-too-important part time work, not high-level managerial positions! :p

Iain
23rd February 2007, 14:01
If it happens a lot with the same person, they might look to see if a pattern emerges. For example in my job we work a lot of weekends, so if someone takes several Friday or Saturdays off sick in a short spell, they will get suspicious.

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 14:36
A company has every right to insist you attend a doctor of their choice for fuirther examination if necessary. They can also send someone to your house to ensure that you are ill as claimed and that you are in fact at home. The only tinme you should be away from your home is when you are going to/coming from a doctor or pharmacy.

If an employee is falsely claiming to be ill then they can be dismissed for gross misconduct ijn the form of fraudulant claims of illness.

As part of a companys' employment records they will hold attendance records for all their staff, even part-time staff. If an employee shows significant abnsenteeism during a period of time, to be determined by the employer, then the company is likely to ask the employee to leave, perhaps questioning the employees suitability to perform the tasks set out under their employment contract/policy.

Having said all that, it's good to throw a sickie every now and again ;)

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 14:38
If it happens a lot with the same person, they might look to see if a pattern emerges. For example in my job we work a lot of weekends, so if someone takes several Friday or Saturdays off sick in a short spell, they will get suspicious.

I once worked for a company who would not pay people Fridays or Mondays if they were only off sick for those days.

LotusElise
23rd February 2007, 14:58
Where I work, they just make a note and only investigate further if there is a pattern or if someone doesn't ring in.

A.F.F.
23rd February 2007, 15:21
In my work you can be sick for three days with your own announcement. For longer periods you need doctor's ertificate.

Drew
23rd February 2007, 16:40
It's not your problem, why should you worry about it?

If he gets found out and sacked (or whatever) it's again not your problem.

Eki
23rd February 2007, 16:55
It's not your problem, why should you worry about it?

If he gets found out and sacked (or whatever) it's again not your problem.
Not as long as he can afford to pay his share of the rent.

Iain
23rd February 2007, 16:56
I once worked for a company who would not pay people Fridays or Mondays if they were only off sick for those days.

Unfortunate for the genuinely sick people who just happen to be off those days, but that's life I suppose. I'm off work sick for two weeks at the mo and the first three days of my absence won't be paid for. Not happy really, but nothing that can be done about it.

They've started with this new system of not paying out to try and reduce absenteeism, but to be honest it's not having any effect at all. Perhaps it's because the only incentive to attend work is a very very low bonus at the end of the year compared to previous ones.

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 17:11
I'm off work sick for two weeks at the mo

Nothing serious I hope? Although I guess you don't take two weeks off for a stubbed toe :s

Hope you get better soon Iain :up:

Hazell B
23rd February 2007, 19:47
My partner's just had his first ever sick leave from his work.

He had an operation (nothing serious, but it meant two weeks out of a dusty workplace) and he took in the hospital forms for them to see. They instantly agreed to pay him two weeks at full pay as if he had been at work, plus more if he wanted it, without a doctor's certificate. It seems some people simply don't get paid if they are regulars at pulling a sickie, yet my Mick isn't and they recognised that. Nice of them, really.

For the record, he drove me nuts being with me all the two weeks :p :

So, pulling a sickie is okay, but only to a point. After they've spotted you're a waster, you get no favours.

Ian McC
23rd February 2007, 19:48
Hang em high I say :bandit:

Love and kisses
Ian
(evil manager) :robo:

Eki
23rd February 2007, 20:02
Hang em high I say :bandit:

Love and kisses
Ian
(evil manager) :robo:
Nah, burn them face down on the garage, factory or office floor.

Hazell B
23rd February 2007, 20:05
Nah, burn them face down on the garage, factory or office floor.

Well, I was going to give myself tomorrow off from work ......

..... but I'm not fire resistant :s

Eki
23rd February 2007, 20:21
..... but I'm not fire resistant :s
Do you float if thrown to the water?

Hazell B
23rd February 2007, 20:34
This is a trick question, right?
Monty Python have much to answer for :p :

To go back to Andy's question, I've remembered an incident that happen to me several years ago. My then boss rang and asked me to go to work there and then, when I should have been off. I explained that I'd just that moment walked back into my house after breaking my arm that afternoon, so couldn't. I obviously told him I'd be back at work as planned in two day's time.
The nosey so-and-so sent a customer (I was a barmaid) round to my house the check on me! I'd never had a single sick day before that, but took a few after for niggles and minor ailments I can tell you! :(

LotusElise
23rd February 2007, 21:53
One of my bosses was really evil in many ways. When a colleague of mine fell and broke her arm one Sunday, she called in on Monday to say she wouldn't be in, but would be back within a couple of days after the pain went down a bit and she wasn't taking strong painkillers all the time.
Evil Boss said something along the lines of "but you can do the work with one hand, can't you?"
She tried to explain that she was drugged up to her eyeballs and not feeling very well, and anyway, she wasn't able to drive in.
At which point he drove over to her house to "pick her up for work."

GridGirl
23rd February 2007, 22:15
At my place of work you dont get any sick pay in in your first year, 1 weeks paid sick in you second year and an extra day up untill a maximum of ten days paid sick leave.

LotusElise we have a similar situation although my bosses are just dumb. A guy at work who has had a lot of bad luck of late fell over and broke his wrist last week. He had a sick note for 2 weeks that said he shouldnt work. He came came in to work and said he'd rather spend his time working if it was in the office rather than out and about as he cant drive and the Personnel partner agreed this was ok. It wasnt untill I pointed out that our company insurance would be invalid if he were to fall and injure himself that they started to panic and sent him home. He's having to go to the doctors on Monday to try and get a note to work again.

tintin
24th February 2007, 09:44
I thought the policy where I work would be common to most other companies, but it seems most of you are getting a really bad deal.

We don't need a doctor's certificate if we are away for fewer than four days (either consecutively or in a 6 week period), but more importantly we get paid in full for up to three months if there's a long-term problem... which could be extended to six months at a manager's discretion.

Dave B
26th February 2007, 12:40
Sadly there's no standard practice. Larger companies tend to look after their employees better, small business often don't have the resources to do so.

speedy king
26th February 2007, 19:35
Where i used to work if i was sick, i got no money....

My current job though....if i can't work...i'm likely to be dropped from the project... (the joys on Contract work :s ) Pay is good though :p : :D