PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - the most mouth watering season ever?

Sonic
23rd December 2009, 16:58
We've got the equivalent of Fangio returning to take on Clark (or any one of a dozen "what if" match ups), new teams, the return of cosworth, a two times WDC at Ferrari, two WDC's at McLaren and possibly 4/5 teams all capable of race wins/WCC challenges next year.

Excited? Coz I sure am!

F1boat
23rd December 2009, 17:30
Yes, the season looks very interesting, great actually. With a lot of great and succesfful drivers and great teams.

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 17:45
It looks great. but until Kimi is back?

airshifter
23rd December 2009, 17:48
We've got the equivalent of Fangio returning to take on Clark (or any one of a dozen "what if" match ups), new teams, the return of cosworth, a two times WDC at Ferrari, two WDC's at McLaren and possibly 4/5 teams all capable of race wins/WCC challenges next year.

Excited? Coz I sure am!

With only the exception of Kimi leaving, I think this is ramping up to be one of the seasons with more potential for real racing that we have had in many years. :)

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 17:49
With only the exception of Kimi leaving, I think this is ramping up to be one of the seasons with more potential for real racing that we have had in many years. :)

Yes, as I said, I agree

maximilian
23rd December 2009, 17:53
Especially if Villeneuve comes back too :D

I am looking forward to 2010!! I just hope all the new teams make it in (+StefanGP somehow = 28 cars). I don't like Kimi, but him staying in would have made it really perfect. But I'll take it! ;)

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 17:58
Especially if Villeneuve comes back too :D

I am looking forward to 2010!! I just hope all the new teams make it in (+StefanGP somehow = 28 cars). I don't like Kimi, but him staying in would have made it really perfect. But I'll take it! ;)

Donīt like KImi, shame on you, I will put you on my to do list. ;)

But back to it, yes it will be a great season.

ioan
23rd December 2009, 18:55
I'd rather keep the expectations low.

Sonic
23rd December 2009, 20:45
I'd rather keep the expectations low.

Humbug :p

wedge
24th December 2009, 00:16
It looks great. but until Kimi is back?

Yep. The Paddock will be poorer with one character less. I miss Kimi's way of showing the middle finger in public.

UltimateDanGTR
24th December 2009, 07:57

agreed totally

roll on 2010!

foxystoat
24th December 2009, 10:24
Yep. The Paddock will be poorer with one character less. I miss Kimi's way of showing the middle finger in public.

Didn't realise Kimi had any character.

Mia 01
24th December 2009, 11:32

Kimi is THE enigma.

ShiftingGears
24th December 2009, 11:52

Too bad.

N. Jones
24th December 2009, 12:25

Excited? Coz I sure am!
With a ban on refueling and that stupid tire rule still in place? I am always stoked for a new F1 season but I am not that excited. :)

wedge
24th December 2009, 12:58

Action speaks louder than words

- 2002 Spa Free Practice - full throttle with a blown up engine from a competitor infront of him. At the time was criticised for being dangerous.

- 2006 Monaco GP - retired from race. Instead going back to garage he goes into yacht to soak up some sun and watch the race.

- 2007 Spa - does a doughnut after winning

- 2009 Canada - with composure he shows Lewis the red traffic light at the end of pit lane after Hamilton caused a pile up.

- 2009 Malaysian GP - jumps out of car for coke & ice cream during red flag

- 2009 Hungarian GP - continues driving with petrol in his eyes after Kovy's idiotic pit stop/fire.

callum122
24th December 2009, 15:49
- 2009 Malaysian GP - jumps out of car for coke & ice...

Always knew Kimi was a party boy :)

UltimateDanGTR
24th December 2009, 16:39
Action speaks louder than words

- 2002 Spa Free Practice - full throttle with a blown up engine from a competitor infront of him. At the time was criticised for being dangerous.

- 2006 Monaco GP - retired from race. Instead going back to garage he goes into yacht to soak up some sun and watch the race.

- 2007 Spa - does a doughnut after winning

- 2008 Canada - with composure he shows Lewis the red traffic light at the end of pit lane after Hamilton caused a pile up.

- 2009 Malaysian GP - jumps out of car for coke & ice cream during red flag

- 2009 Brazilian GP - continues driving with petrol in his eyes after Kovy's idiotic pit stop/fire.

facts adjusted ;)

anyhow, your point stands-Kimi has character through actions instead of saying too much. and i like his style. its certainly different.

im gonna miss kimi next year. but, we've got schumi i spose, so not all bad.

F1boat
25th December 2009, 10:09
Kimi is cool, but IMO, like MS in 2006 he was a bit tired from F1.

ShiftingGears
25th December 2009, 12:27
I'll wait and see.

Copse
25th December 2009, 12:54
With a ban on refueling and that stupid tire rule still in place?

I fear all the excitement will fall dead within half an hour of the first race, if it turns out that the new teams don't stand a chance, and the no refuelling nonsense will mean that most of the race will be a cruise with gradually increasing gaps.

52Paddy
25th December 2009, 15:54
I fear all the excitement will fall dead within half an hour of the first race, if it turns out that the new teams don't stand a chance, and the no refuelling nonsense will mean that most of the race will be a cruise with gradually increasing gaps.

But even if the new teams are not able to mount quite the challenge to the major teams, it will still bring us back to the underdog era. You know, those years where teams like Leyton House, Minardi and Footwork would occasionally score a points finish or podium even! It was worth waiting on all year to see the underdogs perform. Well, for me anyway...I am a fan of the underdog though.

As for the refuelling ban: I wonder if we learn from past mistakes. I think there was some adjustment to the size of fuel tanks in the late 1980s (the were decreased) and in the opening half of the year (at least), so many hard challengers during the race ran out of fuel within sight of the flag. I just hope that dilemma doesn't arise again. If it doesn't, then I'll be satisfied. I don't really like the idea of refuelling strategy. I always find that the pitstop stints are generally boring and the racing only picks up again (if at all) when the drivers settle back into their official/net positions.

Can't wait for this season though. Really excited :bounce:

CNR
26th December 2009, 08:37
Q: who will be the first to say his team mate is getting better equipment

rosberg
button
hamilton
alonso

F1boat
26th December 2009, 09:03
Q: who will be the first to say his team mate is getting better equipment

rosberg
button
hamilton
alonso

Piquet jr., if he finds a seat :)

F1boat
26th December 2009, 09:04
But even if the new teams are not able to mount quite the challenge to the major teams, it will still bring us back to the underdog era. You know, those years where teams like Leyton House, Minardi and Footwork would occasionally score a points finish or podium even! It was worth waiting on all year to see the underdogs perform. Well, for me anyway...I am a fan of the underdog though.

As for the refuelling ban: I wonder if we learn from past mistakes. I think there was some adjustment to the size of fuel tanks in the late 1980s (the were decreased) and in the opening half of the year (at least), so many hard challengers during the race ran out of fuel within sight of the flag. I just hope that dilemma doesn't arise again. If it doesn't, then I'll be satisfied. I don't really like the idea of refuelling strategy. I always find that the pitstop stints are generally boring and the racing only picks up again (if at all) when the drivers settle back into their official/net positions.

Can't wait for this season though. Really excited :bounce:

Recently I watched a 1992 F1 race in which several drivers opted not to change tyres and enter a pit at al. Would this be possible in 2010?

52Paddy
26th December 2009, 18:47
Recently I watched a 1992 F1 race in which several drivers opted not to change tyres and enter a pit at al. Would this be possible in 2010?

Interesting observation. I wonder how the drivers will handle running on badly worn slicks. If the difference was negligible, then it could be successfully employed. Would make the strategy area more interesting for sure.

Robinho
26th December 2009, 19:26
don't they still have to run the 2 different tyre compounds during the race again next year, or has that been abolished?

Langdale Forest
26th December 2009, 19:47
It was an ok year but the day when Massa almost became a cyclops wes very scary.

woody2goody
27th December 2009, 01:54
Yes, we have Schumacher vs Hamilton vs Alonso vs Hamilton vs Massa vs Rosberg vs Button. It should be a tremendous season. Forgive me any spelling errors because i have had a bit too much much Glen's and have had a great deal of trouble typing this message.

For sure 2010 woll be a fantastic year for formula one. 26 cars minimum, new regs, sure to provide great racing. I'm sure that nost of the new teams will be able to mix it with the big boys.

Merry Christmas Everyone xxxxxxxxxxx

woody2goody
27th December 2009, 01:56
Yes i was a bit pissed when i sent this, but i am definitely your friends and wish you A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS XX

Valve Bounce
27th December 2009, 02:27
Apart from anything else, what will make next season so exciting is the fact that some of the teams are so evenly matched, like McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, and of course the new Mercedes team. In these teams we have eight drivers who, on any given day, could win the race without relying on luck at all.

The fact that SchM has come back into the picture only adds spice to the competition, and everyone wants to see how he will compete when pitted against some of the young turks.

I can't remember any year where field can be so open - selecting pickems will be one helluva nightmare.

DazzlaF1
27th December 2009, 17:18
don't they still have to run the 2 different tyre compounds during the race again next year, or has that been abolished?

Nope, they've still got to run 2 different compounds during races

jens
28th December 2009, 12:58
What makes 2010 exciting for me is that there are a lot of changes among competitors. New teams plus some of the existing ones have changed ownerships. Also besides Red Bull everyone else will have changed their driver line-ups! Well, you can count STR and Force India as well if we take into account the line-ups by the end of 2009.

In this respect 2009 was a bit different - teams remained the same (except Honda->Brawn), also driver line-ups remained the same with the exception of RBR and STR, so the main excitement was going to be about the effect of the rule changes. 2010 offers a bit of a change in this area too, especially it is going to be interesting to see, how will the refueling ban affect the process of racing and strategies.

What I fear most is that after a very competitive 2009 (most teams managed to shine at least sporadically), 2010 will see a handful of better-financed teams pulling away. It is no secret that besides the so-called Big Four others is a bit short of cash and many of them have been searching for paydrivers.

52Paddy
29th December 2009, 01:07
Could you imagine if 2010 was a huge anti-climax with one team and driver running away with the whole show? How badly our spirits could be potentially then.

Just thought I'd put that out there at this melancholic time of year.

tinchote
29th December 2009, 09:53

Excited? Coz I sure am!

It could be good. I've been less and less interested in the last few years, and they have certainly caught my attention for next year. But with new rules, with revs still limited, engines frozen, mandatory tyre change, 3-stage qualifying, etc., I'm not counting on the season to be amazing.

CNR
29th December 2009, 12:30
Could you imagine if 2010 was a huge anti-climax with one team and driver running away with the whole show? How badly our spirits could be potentially then.

Just thought I'd put that out there at this melancholic time of year.

look what happend last time micheal had a holiday in (1999)
came back and won for 5 years