PDA

View Full Version : First picture of new USF1 2010 F1 car revealed?

Pages : [1] 2

PSfan
22nd December 2009, 13:32
http://racingwire.info/index.php/formula-one/430-f1-usf1s-first-chassis-is-out-of-the-autoclave

http://racingwire.info/images/stories/200912f1usf1firstchassis.jpg

MrJan
22nd December 2009, 14:50
I'm no technical engineer but I reckon they need some wheels if they have any chance of even mixing it with the tail end ;)

Dave B
22nd December 2009, 15:30
Is that the new new one, or the old new one which they allegedly scrapped becuase it failed the crash tests?

Giuseppe F1
22nd December 2009, 16:22
It does seem to be the one and funny how it wasnt USF1 themselves who broke the news!

If you compare the CFD image below from the recent USF1 factory tour with the above nosecone/monocoque the nose/front wing supporting struts do seem to taper backwards as in teh CFD image suggesting this is indeed the USF1 car

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2009/gen/f1-2009-gen-tm-0932.jpg

Roamy
22nd December 2009, 17:46
I like the fact it has a air cooled engine

Donney
22nd December 2009, 18:13
So everytime less wings and winglets....

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 09:27
Forget everything about this team.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th December 2009, 22:55
The team's website was launched before Christmas and it features an HD video about the production of the tub. It looks very similar to the one posted in this thread. http://www.usgpe.com/

Malbec
26th December 2009, 01:44
The more I see/hear of USF1 the less seriously I take them. I doubt very much they'll make it to the grid.

jonny hurlock
26th December 2009, 01:52
finally some proof to show to bernie, the world that they are processing, just campos now

call_me_andrew
26th December 2009, 05:00
I'm sure this team will have a great run. Look, they have a receptionist!

http://www.usgpe.com/jpeg/charlotte/lobby1-lg.jpg

f1indiablog
26th December 2009, 14:12
Forget the team...

DazzlaF1
26th December 2009, 15:53
Good video, yes they've been very quiet but in my view, at least we're seeing something resembling progress from them, like jonny hurlock said, its just Campos to show their hand now.

I dont think though many will take them seriously until they start signing some drivers

nigelred5
26th December 2009, 16:59
It does seem to be the one and funny how it wasnt USF1 themselves who broke the news!

If you compare the CFD image below from the recent USF1 factory tour with the above nosecone/monocoque the nose/front wing supporting struts do seem to taper backwards as in teh CFD image suggesting this is indeed the USF1 car

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2009/gen/f1-2009-gen-tm-0932.jpg

That computer looks like one of those furniture store props ;)

They said all along that they were going to do things differently. Talk about just in time manufacturing. Are they planning on blowing on the paint when they bring it to the grid.?

Certainly fans, and especially the European racing media are traditionally accustomed to hearing and seeing progress on next season's cars much earlier than this, however this sure is different. I suppose what we don't always see is how many revisions are made by teams before they have the initial specfication car actually built. Certainly teams have tested updated specification parts on existing chassis, and teams have come to the grid with only revisions to the previous season's chassis until the new chassis was available. They don't have that advantage. Maybe this is simply the racing media reacting in the only way they know how when they have no direct or indirect access to a team. If they can't see anything, they assume there isn't anything??

Panoz built an entire grids' worth of DP01 chassis in how many weeks? Surely USF1 can build three chassis by march. It's not like they can really test it on track anyway. Let's not forget the entire powertrain comes from Cosworth, and they are relying heavily on existing suppliers for parts such as brakes. IIRC, they will also be sourcing other parts of the package from other U.S. suppliers. Wings, suspension bits, etc. could be in the works at other suppliers that they are working with and the European F1 pparazzi simply has no clue where these people are? I seem to recall they did say that initially they did want to operate in more of skunkworks fashion until everyting was totally up and running.

I still have high hopes they do make it, but the pace is worrisome.

call_me_andrew
27th December 2009, 04:24
Panoz built an entire grids' worth of DP01 chassis in how many weeks? Surely USF1 can build three chassis by march. It's not like they can really test it on track anyway. Let's not forget the entire powertrain comes from Cosworth, and they are relying heavily on existing suppliers for parts such as brakes. IIRC, they will also be sourcing other parts of the package from other U.S. suppliers. Wings, suspension bits, etc. could be in the works at other suppliers that they are working with and the European F1 pparazzi simply has no clue where these people are? I seem to recall they did say that initially they did want to operate in more of skunkworks fashion until everyting was totally up and running.

I still have high hopes they do make it, but the pace is worrisome.

Panoz spent over a year working on the DP01 before its first race.

I recall USF1 wanted the shop to be open to the general public.

VkmSpouge
28th December 2009, 13:06
The US F1 website is pretty good and nice to see they appear to be making some progress on the car. I hope they make it to the grid at Bahrain :)

nigelred5
28th December 2009, 16:07
Panoz spent over a year working on the DP01 before its first race.

I recall USF1 wanted the shop to be open to the general public.

Yes, because they had a year and that was their timeframe. My comment was more about how long it actually took to construct the actual cars, not design them, and we all know, an F1 car is generally in a continual state of development throughout a season. why waste the carbonfibre on what amounts to a show car. I doubt they have/ had any intention of attending a formal unveiling wiht a finalized car in europe this January.

I very seriously doubt that USF1 started with a blank computer screen in August when they bought their shop. They EVENTUALLY want the shop to be open to the public, as that's pretty much the norm in Charlotte. Is McLaren open to the public for spies to snoop at thir new design before it's completed? For that matter, how similar are the cars unveiled in January to what actually hits the track in March. Sometimes, not at all, as they are more there to reveal the liveries and hte drivers for the first time.. It's kind of hard to open the shop to the public when there were drywall crews and electricians running around. Windsor's comments posted essentially say as much.

They will receive the benefit of the doubt from me until they aren't in Bahrain March 12th.

IMSA
28th December 2009, 17:40
Yes, because they had a year and that was their timeframe. My comment was more about how long it actually took to construct the actual cars, not design them, and we all know, an F1 car is generally in a continual state of development throughout a season. why waste the carbonfibre on what amounts to a show car. I doubt they have/ had any intention of attending a formal unveiling wiht a finalized car in europe this January.

I very seriously doubt that USF1 started with a blank computer screen in August when they bought their shop. They EVENTUALLY want the shop to be open to the public, as that's pretty much the norm in Charlotte. Is McLaren open to the public for spies to snoop at thir new design before it's completed? For that matter, how similar are the cars unveiled in January to what actually hits the track in March. Sometimes, not at all, as they are more there to reveal the liveries and hte drivers for the first time.. It's kind of hard to open the shop to the public when there were drywall crews and electricians running around. Windsor's comments posted essentially say as much.

They will receive the benefit of the doubt from me until they aren't in Bahrain March 12th.

I agree Nigel. Anderson made a couple of "show cars" called the Falcon for the IndyCar Series. He has had many issues in the past of completing his tasks. He had a big "dog and pony" show/press conference with the IRL at his Falcon Car shop and the cars were NEVER completed.

They have stated that they had over 20 employees back in June and the car would hit the track in October.

USF1 also claim to potential investors that they WILL recieve $40 MILLION of revenue from FOM in 2010. This is more than what Virgin Racing stated as their budget.

I would love to see a team from the US be on the grid in 2010, but with their history and the BS that Windsor puts out, I am in doubt.

Saint Devote
4th January 2010, 10:26
If their drivers are Lopez and James Rossiter then any reasonble showing in testing will be a "minor miracle"

Unlike any of the other new teams, on paper, they have absolutely no real experience related to formula one.

Despite the announcements by Windsor I remain skeptical that this team will produce a car ready for Spain.

Mia 01
4th January 2010, 12:09
Do they have any sponsors, I mean sponsors with some money?

DazzlaF1
4th January 2010, 13:41
Do they have any sponsors, I mean sponsors with some money?

Well YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley is in on the project so there's some decent money coming in from that. Dont know about the rest though, like henners88 said, they're probably keeping everything under wraps.

garyshell
4th January 2010, 16:13
Well with testing only days away, I would have thought we would have seen more obvious signs of this team having produced a car. Maybe they are keeping it under wraps for marketing reasons? I certainly hope they make it to Bahrain. :)

What obvious signs have we seen from any other team?

Gary

Alfa Fan
4th January 2010, 16:40
Lotus have announced drivers, carried out a launch, seem to have backers. Manor have Virgin and Lloyds Banks behind them, have announced drivers and test drivers. Campos Meta have announced Senna and Dallara as chassis builder. Admittedly the most doubtful of the new teams apart from USF1.

garyshell
4th January 2010, 16:43
I would have thought we would have seen more obvious signs of this team having produced a car.

What obvious signs have we seen from any other team?

Gary

Lotus have announced drivers, carried out a launch, seem to have backers. Manor have Virgin and Lloyds Banks behind them, have announced drivers and test drivers. Campos Meta have announced Senna and Dallara as chassis builder. Admittedly the most doubtful of the new teams apart from USF1.

But what does any of that have to do with "obvious signs of this team having produced a car"?

Gary

nigelred5
4th January 2010, 17:18
so Campos likely has even less evidence of a completed chassis at their shop...since it won't be produced at their shop at all.

Generally change and the unknown scares people. USF1 is changing the way a traditional F1 team operates, just as they said they would.
Windsor's latest blog seemed to spell out just as I have assumed, that quite a lot of their chassis is sourced and fabricated elsewhere by partners. Many of the same partners that supply other well established teams. Other than naming the drivers and specifically naming a major (ehhem Google/YouTube??) title sponsor, with such limited on track testing allowed, what's the rush? Do they HAVE to test with other teams? I honestly don't remember. Can't they utilize their allowed days to test at their european base at Arragon?

DazzlaF1
4th January 2010, 18:50
so Campos likely has even less evidence of a completed chassis at their shop...since it won't be produced at their shop at all.

Generally change and the unknown scares people. USF1 is changing the way a traditional F1 team operates, just as they said they would.
Windsor's latest blog seemed to spell out just as I have assumed, that quite a lot of their chassis is sourced and fabricated elsewhere by partners. Many of the same partners that supply other well established teams. Other than naming the drivers and specifically naming a major (ehhem Google/YouTube??) title sponsor, with such limited on track testing allowed, what's the rush? Do they HAVE to test with other teams? I honestly don't remember. Can't they utilize their allowed days to test at their european base at Arragon?

Well said :up:

It is a different way of doing things, that I think is something a lot of people (especially the press) have not accepted yet, it's more of a case of the quieter you are, the more people take notice..

So what if they've not signed any drivers or sponsors yet, i remember a certain team 12 months ago not having any drivers and sponsors and even worried about their future participation going up till 1 MONTH before the new season, and look what happened to them.

Im not suggesting USF1 will do the same and beat everyone in Bahrain but just beacuse a team is not saying much to the media initially does not always mean its a cause to wonder if they'll be there or not.

Mia 01
4th January 2010, 19:29
The problem is funding, they got, what do they have?

Why isn´t sponsors in the US trusting them?

garyshell
4th January 2010, 19:41
The problem is funding, they got, what do they have?

Why isn´t sponsors in the US trusting them?

How do we know if they have or have not found any sponsors yet? Just because they are being tight lipped does not mean you can read anything into it. It might very well be a "by design" PR move to keep everything under wraps until they are damn good and ready to do otherwise.

Gary

Giuseppe F1
4th January 2010, 21:11
Lopez was back in a single-seater for the first time since 2006 just before New Years as he works to reacclimatise himself back to open-wheelers in anticipation of his F1 race devut with USF1 in 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdjX_ocwKuM&NR=1

52Paddy
4th January 2010, 23:31
The more I think plainly about USF1's situation, the less I have faith in them producing a competitive package.

1. Ken Anderson has little experience of F1.

2. They are basing the team in the States which is away from F1's heartland of Europe. Remember when Michael Andretti based himself at home in the States during his 1993 season with McLaren? That really hindered his ability to drive well, though there were of course other reasons for this which it is not my intention of discussing. Yes, their Spanish base will give them both options but I have a feeling that their minds will be set on focusing on the North Carolina home, rather than the Arégon one.

3. The team's drivers (assuming they are Lopez and Rossiter) are both F1 rookies. Neither have substantial single seater awards to their name. Lopez was decent enough, but not groundbreaking, in GP2. Rossiter has F-all to brag about and, although he has tested with Honda a few years ago, I doubt this will be sufficient enough experience for him before his debut.

4. Their close-minded idea of running a purely American team (inc. South America) will hinder their choices of drivers and personnell. As America doesn't facilitate F1 as well as Europe, USF1 will be by-passed by the real talent in the racing world.

They're certainly doing things differently alright! But there's no point standing out for all the wrong reasons (being uncompetitive). This is my feeling about the team currently. But I'm not one to judge. Looking forward to see what (doesn't) pan(s) out.

:s mokin:

Malbec
5th January 2010, 11:07
Windsor's latest blog seemed to spell out just as I have assumed, that quite a lot of their chassis is sourced and fabricated elsewhere by partners. Many of the same partners that supply other well established teams.

This isn't new though, many teams have outsourced huge chunks of their chassis production out in the past. Jordan in particular were famous for doing that and just bolting their car together at their factory and that was a decade ago.

USF1 are certainly leaving things late and I know that one potential sponsor who went to visit the place back in Sept or so came back and said "but there's nothing there!". Its getting to the stage where potential sponsors will start getting put off, after all its not as if they were restricted to USF1, there are plenty of better teams to sponsor such as the 10 existing ones and Virgin and Manor that appear to be much better prepared.

jens
5th January 2010, 13:07
The more I think plainly about USF1's situation, the less I have faith in them producing a competitive package.

Somehow I'm pretty sure they won't have a competitive package, meaning that they are likely to be the worst among the new teams. They will have done well if they make it to the grid at all.

While the other teams seem like serious professional enterprises with some big names (Gascoyne, Branson, Dallara), USF1 sounds like more a hobby pastime for Mr Windsor and Anderson - "We have been merely thinking about having an F1 team for decades, so finally we thought to stop dreaming to see, how it can be possibly done in reality, if it can be done".

DexDexter
5th January 2010, 13:08
All the signs point to a Mastercard Lola :rolleyes: . Let's hope that's not the case cause I for one would like to see an American team in F1.

garyshell
5th January 2010, 20:23
Somehow I'm pretty sure they won't have a competitive package, meaning that they are likely to be the worst among the new teams. They will have done well if they make it to the grid at all.

Wow, Nostradamus you seem to think you can do well at predicting the future without a single shred of evidence on which to base your prediction. Care to give us some stock market tips, while you have your crystal ball out.

While the other teams seem like serious professional enterprises with some big names (Gascoyne, Branson, Dallara), USF1 sounds like more a hobby pastime for Mr Windsor and Anderson - "We have been merely thinking about having an F1 team for decades, so finally we thought to stop dreaming to see, how it can be possibly done in reality, if it can be done".

How on earth do you make the leap from them saying that they have only been dreaming about this for decades, to that meaning they are somehow less professional or serious? What rubbish!

Gary

garyshell
5th January 2010, 20:29
All the signs point to a Mastercard Lola :rolleyes: . Let's hope that's not the case cause I for one would like to see an American team in F1.

Signs? What signs? They have not lifted the curtain even a little, remaining tight lipped about their goings on. So what signs do you know of that the rest of us aren't privy too?

I have no way to know if they will or won't make the grid, or how they will place if they do. But that is EXACTLY my point. Neither do the rest of you who would like nothing more than to poo poo anything said bout the team, and then hide behind some claim of "I for one would like to see an American team". As I said in my previous post, what rubbish!

Gary

5th January 2010, 20:38
Welcome to the world of internet debating forums Gary, a magical place where people state their opinions and predictions for up and coming events.. :)

Gary isn't new to this.....I've still got the scars.

Nice to see you in the F1 forum, Mr Shell.

jens
5th January 2010, 20:38
Wow, Nostradamus you seem to think you can do well at predicting the future without a single shred of evidence on which to base your prediction. Care to give us some stock market tips, while you have your crystal ball out.

How on earth do you make the leap from them saying that they have only been dreaming about this for decades, to that meaning they are somehow less professional or serious? What rubbish!

Gary

Based on track record I simply trust the likes of Gascoyne, Dallara and maybe Wirth (I must admit their pure CFD-method sounds quite iffy though) more in designing a fast car than Anderson & Co. That's my crystal ball. :)

Actually they most probably are taking the project seriously, but I don't get the feeling that the know-how of USF1 is quite on the same level as the other teams. It may sound speculative, but with their US-based project they leave an impression of being too isolated while for succeeding in modern F1 a team needs to gather together the best international specialists.

5th January 2010, 20:55
I know Tamb it was my lame attempt to be humorous and slightly saracastic.. :p

For a change, I wouldn't argue with that.

garyshell
5th January 2010, 20:58
Welcome to the world of internet debating forums Gary, a magical place where people state their opinions and predictions for up and coming events.. :)

Wow really??? (just kidding)

I know, but it just irks me when the "predictions" come out of thin air without a scintilla of information to base them on.

Gary

garyshell
5th January 2010, 21:04
Gary isn't new to this.....I've still got the scars.

Nice to see you in the F1 forum, Mr Shell.

Thanks tamburello, what's a guy to do while waiting for the racing to begin.

Gary

DexDexter
6th January 2010, 08:46
Signs? What signs? They have not lifted the curtain even a little, remaining tight lipped about their goings on. So what signs do you know of that the rest of us aren't privy too?

I have no way to know if they will or won't make the grid, or how they will place if they do. But that is EXACTLY my point. Neither do the rest of you who would like nothing more than to poo poo anything said bout the team, and then hide behind some claim of "I for one would like to see an American team". As I said in my previous post, what rubbish!

Gary

Sign1: Ken Anderson designing the car
Sign2: No drivers announced, it's January
Sign3: No sponsors announced
Sign4: No car to start testing

It's a Lola.

6th January 2010, 13:14

It's a Lola.

Sign 1 - Getting an Indycar designer to do an F1 car didn't hurt Mclaren.
Sign 3 - No sponsors announced at Campos or Lotus either, nor Sauber or Renault. It's only January 6th....there is no rush.
Sign 4 - Nobody has a car to start testing with yet. Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes, take your pick.

Just because USF1 haven't revealed anything means jack.

garyshell
6th January 2010, 16:13

It's a Lola.

#1 Exactly why is that such a bad thing?
#2 & #3 Why is that an issue, because they don't meet YOUR schedule? Luaghable at best.
#4 Who else does?

No, its a USF1.

Gary

DexDexter
7th January 2010, 09:04
#1 Exactly why is that such a bad thing?
#2 & #3 Why is that an issue, because they don't meet YOUR schedule? Luaghable at best.
#4 Who else does?

No, its a USF1.

Gary

1. So you'd rather have Anderson (with very limited experience of building cars) designing an F1 car than let's say Mike Gasgoyne? 2. My schedule? NO, it's the calendar. 4. I wasn't talking about the other new teams, but they've got drivers, some of them got sponsors etc. Based on the information we have, USF1 doesn't sound too promising.

Sign 1 - Getting an Indycar designer to do an F1 car didn't hurt Mclaren.
Sign 3 - No sponsors announced at Campos or Lotus either, nor Sauber or Renault. It's only January 6th....there is no rush.
Sign 4 - Nobody has a car to start testing with yet. Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes, take your pick.

Just because USF1 haven't revealed anything means jack.

Hiring a designer who has at some stage of his career worked in Indycars to work for one of the best teams in F1 is not the same as starting from scratch without any experience of current F1 cars. :rolleyes: I know you respect Lola a lot and sure, they are a very respected constructror, I'm just referring to their terrible F1-project.

RS
7th January 2010, 09:20
Have USF1 brought in any staffing expertise from the European F1 teams or are they trying to make it an all-American team?

leopard
7th January 2010, 10:09
I'm sure this team will have a great run. Look, they have a receptionist!

http://www.usgpe.com/jpeg/charlotte/lobby1-lg.jpg

alone?, she may need friends :

garyshell
7th January 2010, 16:32
1. So you'd rather have Anderson (with very limited experience of building cars) designing an F1 car than let's say Mike Gasgoyne? 2. My schedule? NO, it's the calendar. 4. I wasn't talking about the other new teams, but they've got drivers, some of them got sponsors etc. Based on the information we have, USF1 doesn't sound too promising.

1. Was Gasgoyne available? Who was available? Ken may have limited experience specifically with designing F1 cars, but it's not as if he has never done any design of open wheel racing machines. And at the risk of bringing the gods of F1 down upon my head, the principles of design are no different. The specs without a doubt are VERY different, but the underlying principles are not.

2. Sure it's the calendar, but where is it written that things must be announced on certain dates? You are the open imposing your own personal schedule on the team.

4. You mean based on the information you don't have, you assume they don't sound too promising. You have no way to know yet. And because of that you are projecting.

I'd like nothing more than to know a lot more of the specifics of the USF1 team right now too. But I am NOT going to let that cloud my opinion. Not yet. I'll wait to see how this plays out before I pronounce them "not too promising".

Gary

DexDexter
7th January 2010, 18:39
1. Was Gasgoyne available? Who was available? Ken may have limited experience specifically with designing F1 cars, but it's not as if he has never done any design of open wheel racing machines. And at the risk of bringing the gods of F1 down upon my head, the principles of design are no different. The specs without a doubt are VERY different, but the underlying principles are not.

2. Sure it's the calendar, but where is it written that things must be announced on certain dates? You are the open imposing your own personal schedule on the team.

4. You mean based on the information you don't have, you assume they don't sound too promising. You have no way to know yet. And because of that you are projecting.

I'd like nothing more than to know a lot more of the specifics of the USF1 team right now too. But I am NOT going to let that cloud my opinion. Not yet. I'll wait to see how this plays out before I pronounce them "not too promising".

Gary

After this little debate you may find it difficult to believe that I actually want them to succeed, it would be refreshing for F1. It's just not very likely.

7th January 2010, 18:54
You say "no sponsors".....well, why do they need one when they've got this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Hurley#Formula_1_.282009_-_present.29

"YouTube was founded by Hurley, Chen, and Karim.......
On October 16, 2006, Chen and Hurley sold YouTube to Google, Inc. for $1.65 billion. It was reported in the Wall Street Journal that Chad Hurley's share in the $1.65B sale of Youtube.com is $345.6M at Google's Feb. 7, 2007 closing stock price of $470.01. He received 694,087 Google shares directly and another 41,232 shares in a trust"

He's on the USF1 website....

http://www.usgpe.com/team.html

So long as he is willing to underwrite USF1, they don't need a brand sponsor this year.

Mia 01
7th January 2010, 19:05
You say "no sponsors".....well, why do they need one when they've got this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Hurley#Formula_1_.282009_-_present.29

"YouTube was founded by Hurley, Chen, and Karim.......
On October 16, 2006, Chen and Hurley sold YouTube to Google, Inc. for $1.65 billion. It was reported in the Wall Street Journal that Chad Hurley's share in the $1.65B sale of Youtube.com is $345.6M at Google's Feb. 7, 2007 closing stock price of $470.01. He received 694,087 Google shares directly and another 41,232 shares in a trust"

He's on the USF1 website....

http://www.usgpe.com/team.html

So long as he is willing to underwrite USF1, they don't need a brand sponsor this year.

They got no money!

7th January 2010, 19:22
They got no money!

He got shares in Google.....do you know if he still has them or sold them?

garyshell
7th January 2010, 19:27
After this little debate you may find it difficult to believe that I actually want them to succeed, it would be refreshing for F1. It's just not very likely.

You might find it difficult to fathom, but actually I do believe that. I never questioned that at all. I just questioned your rush to judgment based on the lack of information coming from the team. As I said I'd like more info too, but am not willing to pass judgment until I do get some specifics, or we get to the season start and still have heard nothing. Till then, I am willing to accept their "think different" approach.

Gary

Mia 01
7th January 2010, 19:28
He got shares in Google.....do you know if he still has them or sold them?

YouTube got a lot, but no money.

Mia 01
7th January 2010, 19:35
And, I predict that USf1 are F1 :s Robin Hood. They have to rob the Sheriff, whoever that is. Someone in the US please, please give them some support. Damn it, isnt there someone.

I want them to be on the grid, but only if JV is driving one of the cars.

7th January 2010, 19:36
YouTube got a lot, but no money.

Yes, but what has Chad done with those shares?

Do you know? If not, we can assume he may have sold them and be cash rich now.

That's the idea behind giving shares.

7th January 2010, 19:45

So, if they don't chose Villenueve as a driver you don't want them to succeed in entering?

Some Formula One fan you are.

IMSA
7th January 2010, 20:45
USF1 is preying on rich guys that know nothing about racing, race sponsorship and the overall race business. Just like Hurley, never attended a race until the end of the 2009 season. I see this guy like the many before him come and go quickly when the "emotion" wears off.

So this should be interesting. I see that they have some $$, but will it be enough to make it to the grid. Anderson is good at the dog and pony show, but when it counts -- he RUNS or FAILS!! (has done this in the past more than once and it pocket book was never hurt)

52Paddy
7th January 2010, 23:39

Without being cheeky, I take it you just want JV back on the grid then?

F1fanru
8th January 2010, 01:09

Gary

+1

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 08:37
So, if they don't chose Villenueve as a driver you don't want them to succeed in entering?

Some Formula One fan you are.

In fact a bit like you. This is a Forum for amusment.

And, I want them on the grid.

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 08:40
Without being cheeky, I take it you just want JV back on the grid then?

That´s me, only me (perhaps).

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 08:41
+1

All of us are dreaming but still, we need cash!

Alfa Fan
8th January 2010, 11:50
The official F1 site is carrying an interesting story about USF1 today. USF1 claiming that their new car will run for the first time at Barber in the US before joining the official pre-season test in Spain.

Also says that the team will announce drivers very soon and that the car will run for the first time at the beginning of February.

Dave B
8th January 2010, 12:09
Same story on Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80776

DexDexter
8th January 2010, 12:17
The official F1 site is carrying an interesting story about USF1 today. USF1 claiming that their new car will run for the first time at Barber in the US before joining the official pre-season test in Spain.

Also says that the team will announce drivers very soon and that the car will run for the first time at the beginning of February.

I hope one of the drivers is North American, isn't that the whole idea behind the team?

veeten
8th January 2010, 12:39
Initially, yes, but at this time that doesn't seem to be the case due to lack of american drivers that are experienced in international competition that also have FIA superlicences. Previous ones, such as Scott Speed, are busy in NASCAR and other forms of motor racing and can't be brought out of their contracts.

Summerton, Rossi and the younger ones have some experience but not the licences necessesary to move up to F1 status. That is why they are in GP2 for next season, to get themselves up to speed and prepare for when they are called in. Windsor & Anderson knew this, and pulled back on having one at the start. Smart move, as to be ready when both the future drivers and the chassis mature in due time.

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 12:46

When I see, I belive.

Dave B
8th January 2010, 13:21
The cynic in me wonders if Alabama has been chosen so that it's harder to make comparisons with the pace of other cars. I really wish them well but I still think the whole project will be an embarrassing failure.

wedge
8th January 2010, 13:34
The cynic in me wonders if Alabama has been chosen so that it's harder to make comparisons with the pace of other cars. I really wish them well but I still think the whole project will be an embarrassing failure.

Seems like its more of a shakedown.

They're still off to Europe for Valencia

veeten
8th January 2010, 13:48
Seems like its more of a shakedown.

They're still off to Europe for Valencia

Exactly. Would not be suprised if it is carried live on Speed Channel, just to give us yanks a 'special preview'. :)

garyshell
8th January 2010, 15:11

Oh ye of little faith:

"Because we are a new team and start everything from zero the first time we will run the car will be in the United States at the Barber Motorsport Park in Alabama, the circuit that was nominated by the FIA for us," sporting director Peter Windsor told the official Formula 1 website.

"We've got the dispensation from the FIA, which is fantastic, because we are not based in Europe. We are the only team that does have a test circuit outside Europe, so it is totally logical for us that we run the car the first time in the US at the beginning of February."

Gary

VkmSpouge
8th January 2010, 18:37
Good to hear that things are progressing with the US team. Can't wait to see their car and find out who is going to drive it.

Mia 01
8th January 2010, 19:00
When I see it.

Giuseppe F1
9th January 2010, 16:48
January 3rd, 2010: USF1 early rendering

http://media.paddocktalk.com/2010/albums/20_USF1_early_rendering.jpg

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=125867&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

El Libertador
10th January 2010, 03:40

Well, they can compare to the pace of an IndyCar...if the IndyCar is faster they're really screwed :p

I agree. I'd hate to see a new team fail right away, and they are a lot further than I ever would have imagined, but I still think the concept of the team is flawed.

PSfan
10th January 2010, 04:38

Well, I always thought it would have been a win/win to have JV in with USF1... He could only really only expect maybe 3 years of F1 racing left in his career, and while he's at Charlotte, He could be networking with some some of them Nascar folks there (how old is Mark Martin again...)

But alas, there is an article circling that suggest 2 rookie pay drivers are in USF1's future, a decision I also can't argue with. Just as well have those 2 seats bring in money while the team is in their "teething" stages, and pay for good talent when there is some hope that it will return in points finishes and some tv money payoff...

call_me_andrew
10th January 2010, 06:23
New video posted Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0wFyCIDfE&feature=sub

Dave B
10th January 2010, 11:40

Oh ye of little faith:

Gary
Gary, Alabama was nominated by the FIA but only at the request of USF1 who wanted an American track on which to do their initial tests. They could have come over to Spain and tested with the others, but they chose not to presumably for logistical reasons.

Testing in isolation may allow them the luxury of not travelling to Europe, but they'll miss out on valuable comparisons with the other teams.

10th January 2010, 12:33
Testing in isolation may allow them the luxury of not travelling to Europe, but they'll miss out on valuable comparisons with the other teams.

Never hurt Ferrari to test initially at Fiorano, and there are no comparisons to be had with other teams at that track.

Furthermore, since the team is called USF1, is based in the US and is looking at securing funding from the US, for publicity reasons alone the first test makes sense to be in the US.

Sonic
10th January 2010, 12:49
Never hurt Ferrari to test initially at Fiorano, and there are no comparisons to be had with other teams at that track.

Furthermore, since the team is called USF1, is based in the US and is looking at securing funding from the US, for publicity reasons alone the first test makes sense to be in the US.

Indeed. I've been as dissapointed as the next guy that they have not been as open as they suggested - I was really looking forward to watching the conception and birth of an F1 car. But let's not get carried away. The reason they are testing over there is because its nearby; just as Jordan used to test on the stowe track at silverstone! Damon Hill's first Arrows run was almost at night on the Silverstone south circuit and has already been mentioned Ferrari often avoid the early group tests. There is no correlation between a cars speed and where it first runs. Let's see how they get on.

wedge
10th January 2010, 15:14

It's a shakedown

They're still off to Valencia.

DexDexter
10th January 2010, 19:16

I agree, they are meant to be USF1 so it's logical that they test their car in America.

Sonic
10th January 2010, 19:43
Possible bad news; James Allens blog has a rumor (emphasis on rumor atm) that USF1 are to ask the FIA if they can skip the first races and join the circus at the Spanish GP. If this has even a grain of truth to it then perhaps the lack of evidence is simply because there is none to show. :(

call_me_andrew
11th January 2010, 04:14
That does sound like a rumor as they would need permission from FOM, not the FIA.

christophulus
11th January 2010, 07:58
Possible bad news; James Allens blog has a rumor (emphasis on rumor atm) that USF1 are to ask the FIA if they can skip the first races and join the circus at the Spanish GP. If this has even a grain of truth to it then perhaps the lack of evidence is simply because there is none to show. :(

Jon Noble's Twitter feed says they're aiming to be in Bahrain as normal.

US F1 tells me it is on course to be in Bahrain - so ignore reports from Italy claiming it asked the FIA if it could skip the first races

http://twitter.com/NobleF1

Dave B
11th January 2010, 07:58
That does sound like a rumor as they would need permission from FOM, not the FIA.
IIRC the FIA make the rules about a team fielding cars for all events, seperately there is a contract with FOM over fees and TV money.

Breaching the FOM rules would mean not getting paid; breaching the FIA's could mean disqualification from the championship.

Edit: here's the rule in question (PDF link (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/B113B92B22ACE29CC125768D002AF688/$FILE/1-2010%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2011-12-2009.pdf)):

f) an undertaking by the applicant to participate in every Event with the number of cars and drivers entered.

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 09:35
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

I´m not sure of them, when I see it I will belive it.

That goes for Campos to know.

Sonic
11th January 2010, 09:43
Jon Noble's Twitter feed says they're aiming to be in Bahrain as normal.

http://twitter.com/NobleF1

I hope they make it.

christophulus
11th January 2010, 15:49
The 2010 Sporting Regulations originally limited teams to just six straight-line test days, and discussions recently further cut this back to just four. These days can be exchanged for one day of wind-on full-scale tunnel time - which equates to four-hours of running.

Despite the latest agreement, which has yet to be put into the regulations, teams have agreed that US F1 can stick to the original six-day limit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80805

(Conspiracy theory) Odd that the other teams are being so generous. Is this because they don't see USF1 as a threat or is there a very real chance of them not turning up to Bahrain?

Or are the other F1 teams just being nice? :s

11th January 2010, 19:41
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80790

For a team who might not be there, they are doing some recruiting...

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 19:56

Yes, working as aleader in a F1 paddok takes a lot of experience.

garyshell
11th January 2010, 21:53
Yes, working as aleader in a F1 paddok takes a lot of experience.

Do you have a point to make? Are you suggesting he is not up to the job?

Gary

Mia 01
11th January 2010, 22:56

Gary

Watch the Ferrai pitlane during the races at the beginning of the last season. GHive me then an answer.

garyshell
12th January 2010, 05:00
Watch the Ferrai pitlane during the races at the beginning of the last season. GHive me then an answer.

What the hell are you talking about? What does that have to do with Anderson?

Gary

DexDexter
12th January 2010, 07:49

Gary

I'm sure he's up to the task but there are cabable managers with a lot of recent F1 experience out there as well. They definitely want to do things their own way.

52Paddy
12th January 2010, 09:04
Fishy, fishy, fishy. This situation could develop in any direction at this stage. :s

Dave B
12th January 2010, 09:11

Another Australian joins the team's quest for All-American excellence :p

DazzlaF1
12th January 2010, 17:19
Another USF1 Update video, this time Speed TV's Bob Varsha takes a walkaround the facilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppLHyLL4yQ&feature=sub

And an interview with Dan Gurney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYM8MpkLUWg

shazbot
12th January 2010, 17:47
I hope these guys make it to the grid but they really don't do themselves any favours with this kind of thing. I know it's not a big deal but why are they not in team uniform and why wouldn't you prepare for an interview. If the Jason Anderson interview (if you can call it that) was edited then how bad must the rest of the footage been!?

garyshell
12th January 2010, 19:58
Another Australian joins the team's quest for All-American excellence :p

He may be from Australia, but for the past 29 years he has been working in the states:

Anderson, originally from Sydney, Australia, first came to the U.S. in 1980, after some success running a prep and fab shop. "I came to the U.S. for what I thought was a few years and I've never left, and I've had some good runs," he said. "Now to be able to have the opportunity to work with America's Formula One team, especially with my longtime friend Ken Anderson, is an unbelievable opportunity. Ken's mindset of US F1 – to have an open mind, be flexible and explore best practices, is why I'm here and I want to be a part of this."

Gary

RS
12th January 2010, 20:47
I hope these guys make it to the grid but they really don't do themselves any favours with this kind of thing. I know it's not a big deal but why are they not in team uniform and why wouldn't you prepare for an interview. If the Jason Anderson interview (if you can call it that) was edited then how bad must the rest of the footage been!?

Is Jason Anderson Ken's son?

Design offices look a bit basic....

I'm a little sceptical of what they might achieve and of the "all American" approach but I do love to see new, proper teams having a go (not like Torro Rosso using clone cars for example)

shazbot
12th January 2010, 22:16
Yes, Jason Anderson is Ken Anderson's son. They where both involved in the Falcon IRL project.......
Rumours persist that the team have enquired with the FIA about missing the first few races. I just think they have such a mountain to climb and so little time. They will get there, we just have to be patient and not shoot them down in flames if and when they don't make the first race. Give them a chance I say!

52Paddy
12th January 2010, 23:16
Another USF1 Update video, this time Speed TV's Bob Varsha takes a walkaround the facilities

That's shocking! :eek: It looks like an ordinary office. And those guys are almost scared behind the camera. It looks really close-knit, but maybe thats due to a lack of personnel. I almost got the sense that Jason Anderson, as he was talking, had absolutely no confidence that this project was going to well.

At the very least, they haven't made any crazy, outlandish statements yet. Remember the 1999 BAR car? Didn't David Richards say that the car could win its first race? :rotflmao:

ykiki
12th January 2010, 23:20
Remember the 1999 BAR car? Didn't David Richards say that the car could win its first race? :rotflmao:

Didn't Reynard have a history of winning their first race when entering a series?

Saint Devote
13th January 2010, 02:15

And an interview with Dan Gurney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYM8MpkLUWg

Bob Varsha categorically stated that he SAW the car and that it is a very pretty racing car.

There quite a few reputations on the line now......

garyshell
13th January 2010, 06:24
It looks really close-knit, but maybe thats due to a lack of personnel. I almost got the sense that Jason Anderson, as he was talking, had absolutely no confidence that this project was going to well.

Wow, you sure can read a lot from 3 minutes of video. (Or at least you THINK you can.) Unless you know Jason personally or have seen him in other interviews, how could you possibly have any clue as to what his demeanor meant?

Gary

DazzlaF1
13th January 2010, 18:13
That's shocking! :eek: It looks like an ordinary office. And those guys are almost scared behind the camera. It looks really close-knit, but maybe thats due to a lack of personnel. I almost got the sense that Jason Anderson, as he was talking, had absolutely no confidence that this project was going to well.

At the very least, they haven't made any crazy, outlandish statements yet. Remember the 1999 BAR car? Didn't David Richards say that the car could win its first race? :rotflmao:

I remember that (it was the car's designer Malcolm Oastler that said that), so funny when they came out with that arrogant statement

Malbec
13th January 2010, 19:25
I remember that (it was the car's designer Malcolm Oastler that said that), so funny when they came out with that arrogant statement

Actually it was Adrian Reynard, and he didn't say that exact comment.

He was asked at the unveiling of the BAR001 what he expected from the car, the exact question was "your cars have won a race in the first season they've entered any formula, think this one would do the same?"

His response was "it would be nice wouldn't it"

It was only later that it was twisted into the infamous "this car will win in its first season" quote.

As for USF1, they've unveiled testing days so we'll see what they have to offer then. I don't think Ken Anderson's lack of F1 experience will be much of a problem, if he's got IRL/CART experience then that'll do, strategy there can be incredibly complicated and interesting too.

Mia 01
13th January 2010, 19:47
Bernie must have some second toughts by know.

DexDexter
13th January 2010, 20:47
Wow, you sure can read a lot from 3 minutes of video. (Or at least you THINK you can.) Unless you know Jason personally or have seen him in other interviews, how could you possibly have any clue as to what his demeanor meant?

Gary

You seem to be taking this personally, which is good since F1 needs Americans who support their F1 team :)

garyshell
13th January 2010, 21:59
You seem to be taking this personally, which is good since F1 needs Americans who support their F1 team :)

Not really. I would have said the same thing had it been about the Campos team.

That's not to say I don't support the USF1 team. I do. It's damn nice to see an American team again. I remember well Dan Gurney's efforts.

But this was not about the USF1 team, it was about folks here thinking they can read people's minds, no more, no less.

Gary

stephenw_us
13th January 2010, 23:17
Bob Varsha categorically stated that he SAW the car and that it is a very pretty racing car.

There quite a few reputations on the line now......

There is some small elements of "coolness" to this but I have to disagree with Dan Gurney, and in general there is simply a feeling of "not ever going to be competitive" sense about the place and the project.

A valid American effort would be backed by Penske, Ganassi, or even Hendrick - the best racing minds in the country...they'd get a real American hotshoe in the car...from NASCAR or IndyCar...

This is still to me akin to the RedBull driver search of a few years ago, purely a marketing ploy....I like Scott Speed and wish him well but anyone with an ounce of objectiveness understands this team is not representative of what a real American assault on F1 would look like...

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvUYz9f1XDc&feature=player_embedded

As long as the NASCAR fraternity, which is where the power base of American racing lives these days, continues to view all of racing and in particular F1 they way Despain and Waltrip do, F1 will continue to be marginalized in this country, and as long as it is, I don't think there will be real success...because the people that really matter won't get behind it...

It still amazes me to watch this video and hear Waltrip state that being fast doesn't matter and that there are no passes for the lead in F1 which just shows he only cares about one type of racing and doesn't really pay attention to the sport....

It's almost like these guys believe that NASCAR was here first and therefore everything else should be like it - where is the respect for the tradition of Grand Prix racing?

Sadly ignorance even in places where there should be none continues to drive most of this country's view of F1 and without big names involved in the team, USF1 is but a novelty that only us race fans seem to care about....and by that I mean race fans of both NASCAR and F1...

airshifter
14th January 2010, 03:27
There is some small elements of "coolness" to this but I have to disagree with Dan Gurney, and in general there is simply a feeling of "not ever going to be competitive" sense about the place and the project.

A valid American effort would be backed by Penske, Ganassi, or even Hendrick - the best racing minds in the country...they'd get a real American hotshoe in the car...from NASCAR or IndyCar...

This is still to me akin to the RedBull driver search of a few years ago, purely a marketing ploy....I like Scott Speed and wish him well but anyone with an ounce of objectiveness understands this team is not representative of what a real American assault on F1 would look like...

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvUYz9f1XDc&feature=player_embedded

As long as the NASCAR fraternity, which is where the power base of American racing lives these days, continues to view all of racing and in particular F1 they way Despain and Waltrip do, F1 will continue to be marginalized in this country, and as long as it is, I don't think there will be real success...because the people that really matter won't get behind it...

It still amazes me to watch this video and hear Waltrip state that being fast doesn't matter and that there are no passes for the lead in F1 which just shows he only cares about one type of racing and doesn't really pay attention to the sport....

It's almost like these guys believe that NASCAR was here first and therefore everything else should be like it - where is the respect for the tradition of Grand Prix racing?

Sadly ignorance even in places where there should be none continues to drive most of this country's view of F1 and without big names involved in the team, USF1 is but a novelty that only us race fans seem to care about....and by that I mean race fans of both NASCAR and F1...

I myself also doubt that F1 will ever approach NASCAR in terms of popularity in the US. But to be honest I don't care. Any US based F1 team certainly can't do any harm to promoting the sport in the US, and there is a chance that fans of other forms of motorsports will gain interest.

When I was young motocross gained leaps and bounds in the US market when we had some sucessful US riders that did well against the until then dominant European riders. Though I strongly doubt we'll have any top notch F1 drivers in the near future, just having a team in the sport has to have some impact.

garyshell
14th January 2010, 05:03
I myself also doubt that F1 will ever approach NASCAR in terms of popularity in the US. But to be honest I don't care. Any US based F1 team certainly can't do any harm to promoting the sport in the US, and there is a chance that fans of other forms of motorsports will gain interest.

When I was young motocross gained leaps and bounds in the US market when we had some sucessful US riders that did well against the until then dominant European riders. Though I strongly doubt we'll have any top notch F1 drivers in the near future, just having a team in the sport has to have some impact.

Absolutely. Hell, even the NASCAR drivers watch F1 on Sunday mornings before their own races! Wander around thru the motorhomes at 8:00 AM and see what is on the tube.

Gary

DexDexter
14th January 2010, 08:24

We've discussed this before, no international sport has ever been that popular in the United States (except the olympics and they are declining, right?), so logically I see no reason why F1 could do it. Races at night with lots of foreigners.

Mia 01
14th January 2010, 11:17
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80849

Bernie: There´s problem.

garyshell
14th January 2010, 15:54

Here's the crux of the story:

The F1 commercial chief suggested that the requirement to run two self-designed cars was a key stumbling block for new entrants, and said he was keen on customer chassis and the option for single car entries.

Bernie smells money to be made lining HIS pockets. He is so full of BS, he has no way at all to know if the teams will or will not make the bell. Has he stepped into any teams headquarters? Can't say about the ones across the pond, but I am pretty sure he has not been to the USF1 location.

Gary

RS
14th January 2010, 16:15
I don't agree with Bernie that customer cars are the way forward.

It would be better than nothing, but I think the interest and diversity that teams building their own cars brings is greater.

52Paddy
14th January 2010, 17:28

Gary

Firstly, read my posts correctly and stop jumping to defensive conclusions! I said "I almost got the sense that..." - I wasn't claiming anything as fact!

Secondly, why can't one make an observation without being shot down? :rolleyes: If that's what it looked like to me then I'm going to put my thoughts on the table, like it or not.

52Paddy
14th January 2010, 17:31

Worth noting also, is his quote:

"We're okay - as long as we've got ten solid, strong teams that's all we really need"

How complacent. Where is the enthusiasm? Ah, I ain't even going to bother arguing about it any more. It's just classic Bernie...

Wouldn't like to see customer cars used for the same reason as RS, but one-car teams would surely do no harm.

garyshell
14th January 2010, 18:32
Firstly, read my posts correctly and stop jumping to defensive conclusions! I said "I almost got the sense that..." - I wasn't claiming anything as fact!

Secondly, why can't one make an observation without being shot down? :rolleyes: If that's what it looked like to me then I'm going to put my thoughts on the table, like it or not.

Nor did I claim you said it was fact. I was merely observing how such conclusions are made with 3 minutes of video and no baseline to compare it against. Whether you "almost got the sense" or not, you put it out there that he came across that he "had absolutely no confidence that this project was going to well." For all we know he might be a camera shy sort. If we'd seen a series of interviews before from the guy and he came off full of vim and vigor, I'd agree with your "almost got the sense" observation 100%. But with this, as far as I can tell, his first time on camera, I just observed that it's a huge leap to assess or even speculate on his confidence from it. And like you I intend to put my observations out there as well, like it or not.

Gary

DazzlaF1
14th January 2010, 18:55
"We're okay - as long as we've got ten solid, strong teams that's all we really need," he said.

Did he even want the new teams on the grid

ioan
14th January 2010, 19:44
Did he even want the new teams on the grid

Why would he? Those new teams will cost him money.
The new teams were only a good tool in his quest against the ever increasing financial requests from the FOTA.

stephenw_us
14th January 2010, 23:40
Nor did I claim you said it was fact. I was merely observing how such conclusions are made with 3 minutes of video and no baseline to compare it against. Whether you "almost got the sense" or not, you put it out there that he came across that he "had absolutely no confidence that this project was going to well." For all we know he might be a camera shy sort. If we'd seen a series of interviews before from the guy and he came off full of vim and vigor, I'd agree with your "almost got the sense" observation 100%. But with this, as far as I can tell, his first time on camera, I just observed that it's a huge leap to assess or even speculate on his confidence from it. And like you I intend to put my observations out there as well, like it or not.

Gary

I'm going to have to disagree as well - Bob Varsha was almost whispering they were so nervous and timid on camera - not exactly awe inspiring and I don't think it's very british to be blasting someone for simply pointing out the obvious...

In fact it's being overly defensive in my view.

jens
15th January 2010, 17:33

What the hell was this? USF1 with its PR-activities does its very best to leave the F1 fans sceptical about the team. At least they should have been able to find such people for an interview, who actually have something to say! But I feel sorry to these guys - they almost look stressed.

ykiki
15th January 2010, 20:35
What the hell was this? USF1 with its PR-activities does its very best to leave the F1 fans sceptical about the team. At least they should have been able to find such people for an interview, who actually have something to say! But I feel sorry to these guys - they almost look stressed.

For me, I felt the engineers in the 2nd and 3rd video looked a lot more relaxed, comfortable and confident than the interviews in the 1st video.

52Paddy
16th January 2010, 23:35

Gary

I may not have had any baseline of comparison, but I did get a gut-feeling and there seemed a negative aura/vibe about the whole situation. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing this team. Its just that my heart sank for those poor lads behind the camera and in their office who, to me, just seemed like a hopeless situation. I'd rather not continue this little argument - it's not really worth arguing over. :)

I'm going to have to disagree as well - Bob Varsha was almost whispering they were so nervous and timid on camera - not exactly awe inspiring and I don't think it's very british to be blasting someone for simply pointing out the obvious...

In fact it's being overly defensive in my view.

As I said, not even worth arguing. Lets just continue on shall we... :beer:

DexDexter
17th January 2010, 07:52

Yep, some of they guys were about to cry. I'm very interested in what kind of pedigree they have in F1 or other motorsports.

garyshell
17th January 2010, 19:43
Yep, some of they guys were about to cry. I'm very interested in what kind of pedigree they have in F1 or other motorsports.

Makes one wonder what pedigree you have in psychic abilities.

Gary

17th January 2010, 21:39

This may come to a surprise to the X-Factor/Pop Idol/Big Brother generation, but not everybody wants to be in front of a camera.

Mia 01
17th January 2010, 22:14
According Brundle a team needs at least one million pund a week to keep it floating.

It´s a lot of money, where is it?

BMW_F1
17th January 2010, 23:50
that's not quite right Saint Devote.. Lopez tested for Renault F1 team in 06.. I agree that they are not the best choice of drivers but I doubt that they have the budget to hire Nick H. who is the best driver now without a seat.

BMW_F1
17th January 2010, 23:52
According Brundle a team needs at least one million pund a week to keep it floating.

is that true even now when teams have reduced their budgets by 40 %.. ?

IMSA
18th January 2010, 03:30

USF1 claims they are to receive $40 MILLION from FOM for 2010 (from their investment seeking docs). If this this true, that should help.

DexDexter
18th January 2010, 07:28

Gary

Come on, don't take it so seriously. IMO the guy looked like he was about to cry. Isn't stating perceptions etc. what discussion boards are all about? :rolleyes:

This may come to a surprise to the X-Factor/Pop Idol/Big Brother generation, but not everybody wants to be in front of a camera.

Hmmm, interesting, I've never seen you write that about Kimi Räikkönen, since I'm sure you considered that to be a bad thing. But now it's not? And I'm not BB generation, more like Battlestar Galactica :) .

garyshell
18th January 2010, 16:41

Come on, don't take it so seriously. IMO the guy looked like he was about to cry. Isn't stating perceptions etc. what discussion boards are all about? :rolleyes:

"some of they guys were about to cry" or "looked like he was about to cry" whatever, I was stating a perception that some folks here seem to think they can read a lot into a short video clip. It's just another way to take a cheap shot at a team.

Gary

18th January 2010, 18:40
Hmmm, interesting, I've never seen you write that about Kimi Räikkönen, since I'm sure you considered that to be a bad thing. But now it's not?

My criticism of Raikkonen had feck all to do with his lack of media skills.

If only not enjoying interviews was his only failing.

18th January 2010, 18:42
My guess is he's extremely shy but obviously good at what he does to be in the role in the first place.. :)

Exactly.

Having worked with my fellow aerodynamicists for quite some time, not many could be described as having dreams of stardom.

Actually, make that none of them.

SGWilko
18th January 2010, 19:09
Exactly.

Having worked with my fellow aerodynamicists for quite some time, not many could be described as having dreams of stardom.

Actually, make that none of them.

Maybe not, but I bet they were a bundle of laughs down the pub talking shop.....

18th January 2010, 19:11
Maybe not, but I bet they were a bundle of laughs down the pub talking shop.....

Only those with a drink problem.

ioan
18th January 2010, 19:35
According to ioan I am a Design Engineer who specialises in 'Sandwiches', ...

I knew that they started using fancy denomination for some less than fancy jobs in order to make people feel more at ease when talking about what they do to earn a living, obviously your manager 'engineered' it one step further. :eek:

ioan
18th January 2010, 20:59
Oh you'll be surprised, I'm one of the lucky ones with my title. Dustmen are called "Environmental Hygienists", and litter pickers are called "Debris Technicians"... Stoner Uni graduates who can't find jobs in their reletive fields are often thrown back into higher education for a year and then referred to as "Teachers"... The denominative names they give us in the UK is hilarious.. :look:

:eek:
I feel lucky not living where you live, around here it's much better, you even get the right to use your academic titles on all your documents, a bit old fashioned but fair! :D

52Paddy
18th January 2010, 21:24
It's just another way to take a cheap shot at a team.

Gary

I really hope they do well. But you'd be surprised how much you can read into a 3-minute video, even if you're thoughts are askew. I'm far from psychic, but only going on what you've been given, it's fair play to make assumptions. Gary, no-one (so far in this discussion regarding the video) is trying to bad mouth or shoot down USF1 at this early stage.

I realise it's difficult to be any way emotional on a discussion forum but, given that many agree with my own sentiments about the video, I can assure you it's a blunt observation all within the barriers of 'fair play' and far from reaching the boundaries of 'bashing'.

ykiki
18th January 2010, 22:10
In the first video, I'll admit that the guy really looked uncomfortable, but in Parts II & III, the other engineers looked, sounded and had the mannerisms of many of the young engineers I work with on a daily basis.

Granted my coworkers are in the aerospace/defense business and not trying to start a Formula 1 team from scratch, but I've seen "the look" before and it's not a lack of confidence in the product or their abilities - it's the sheer terror of being put "on the spot", whether speaking in a business meeting or in front of customers & suppliers. Heaven forbid any of my coworkers would actually be video taped - they'd be terrified.

Easy Drifter
18th January 2010, 22:47
You want terror?
I am a reasonably compentent writer (no giggling please).
I can hold my own in a small group.
But I am a terrible public speaker, although I have been forced into it a few times.
Quite a few years ago a cable TV Company was to tape a 1 hr. show on our tropical fish business. My wife was to do it and she is a good speaker and has been a speaker at Int'l conventions
About a hour before the TV crew arrived she announced she was sick and I would have to do it. It was to be taped as a straight run through with no retakes. I was totally unprepared.
Sheer terror.
It actually ended up going well and was shown for two or three years.
But I was totally drained by the end.

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 07:20
According to ioan I am a Design Engineer who specialises in 'Sandwiches', and one can only imagine the personality traits of these fellows. I would think that if a specialist sandwich maker was asked to describe the concept generation stage of your average 'Branston and cheese on Brown', you'd find them squirming around desperate for the camera to be turned away. I sympathise completely with these guys... :)

Maybe it wasn't that wise from you to say anything about your profession since when you're debating with some people they get so wound up that they'll post anything to try to insult you (which by the way always goes unpunished).

Anyway, what's this negative stuff, F1 season is getting closer and we F1 fans should be thrilled but apparently some people just want to have nasty arguments, nothing more.

henners88
19th January 2010, 08:28
Maybe it wasn't that wise from you to say anything about your profession since when you're debating with some people they get so wound up that they'll post anything to try to insult you (which by the way always goes unpunished).

Anyway, what's this negative stuff, F1 season is getting closer and we F1 fans should be thrilled but apparently some people just want to have nasty arguments, nothing more.
You're right, had I known Design Engineers in Romania make sandwiches, I would have kept my mouth firmly shut. Anyway I agree enough is enough and its irelevent to F1 so lets stick to the thread topics.. :)

SGWilko
19th January 2010, 09:55
Maybe it wasn't that wise from you to say anything about your profession .

Whyever not? I am proud of my glove sorting heritage.... ;)

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 15:31
Back to the topic, according to Autosport USF1 will have an innovative car. Interesting.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80962

Alfa Fan
19th January 2010, 17:26
In USF1s case innovative == crap.

Mia 01
19th January 2010, 18:07
I want to see the car for real.

And then, if it´s there, I hope they got some money.

ioan
19th January 2010, 18:13
You're right, had I known Design Engineers in Romania make sandwiches...

I don't live in Romania so I'm not sure why you post xenophobic crap.

Dave B
19th January 2010, 18:33
The Flintstones' car was "innovative".

henners88
19th January 2010, 18:47
I don't live in Romania so I'm not sure why you post xenophobic crap.
I apologise I thought you were Romanian, I'm not really bothered where you actually live if I'm honest. Xenophobic is a strong would to use and suggests you think I dislike you because of your nationality, which is untrue.

The reason I made the comment was because you have consistantly accused me of being a sandwich maker when the arguement isn't going your way. Lets leave the below the belt comments to the sidelines and discuss the topics in question. I don't see why every thread ends up being negative between us, I'll quit it if you will... :)

henners88
19th January 2010, 18:51
Back to original topic:

I'm always in favour of supporting the advances in a team if they are introducing something innovative. Its interesting to learn they have designed their own gearbox, although part of me thinks this is a bad idea. The gearboxes used in modern F1 have taken several seasons to fine tune and become reliable, so I hope they haven't restricted themselves with this choice.. :)

jens
19th January 2010, 19:00
Anyhow, the recent news have put USF1 into a more positive light - if they make the Alabama tests and won't have significant problems, the situation would look relatively promising.

P.S. Is it sure FOM offers as much as 40M $ to USF1? Wasn't it more like 10M? If it's 40, no new team should have ever had a problem with racing a full F1 season, including Campos.

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 19:16
Anyhow, the recent news have put USF1 into a more positive light - if they make the Alabama tests and won't have significant problems, the situation would look relatively promising.

P.S. Is it sure FOM offers as much as 40M $ to USF1? Wasn't it more like 10M? If it's 40, no new team should have ever had a problem with racing a full F1 season, including Campos.

The sums are exaggerated, there is no way they're getting 40M from FOM.

ioan
19th January 2010, 19:25
Lets leave the below the belt comments to the sidelines and discuss the topics in question. I don't see why every thread ends up being negative between us, I'll quit it if you will... :)

Let's see how long it lasts.

DexDexter
19th January 2010, 19:26
Let's see how long it lasts.

Don't act like it's Henners causing the trouble, it's you and you know it.

52Paddy
19th January 2010, 19:40
I love to hear about new innovations in the sport, particularly in this day and age. I hope USF1 have thought up something new and unseen before. Whether or not it works, is a matter they have to deal with but, even if they do badly, I'll be happy to see a car with a fresh approach to construction on the grid. Good report :up:

pino
19th January 2010, 20:01
Guys don't force me to close another thread, or you will be sorry. Take your personal stupid attacks to PM !!!

SGWilko
19th January 2010, 20:03
Guys don't force me to close another thread, or you will be sorry. Take your personal stupid attacks to PM !!!

Don't encourage personal attacks on PM, I recall the foul mouthed tirade posted on someones PM's the last time....

pino
19th January 2010, 21:09
Don't encourage personal attacks on PM, I recall the foul mouthed tirade posted on someones PM's the last time....

If you feel insulted you can always forward the PM to me and I will take care of it. Now back to the topic !

IMSA
20th January 2010, 18:28

I wanted to bring this up since they state this in the investor proposals (I have a copy). USF1 have been going to potential investors that have -0- knowledge in racing or motorsports business. Chad Hurley had never been to a race until USF1 took him to one.

Many rich guys get involved in racing based on emotion and when they find out how much it is costing them without any return - they go away forever. BUT..people like Windsor and Anderson are preying on this type of person. Not knowing racing, taking in everything they say as the gospel, no way to verify how much FOMA provides the teams these "investors" are taking it all in.

I guess we will see if this happens. I do know for a fact they have yet to have a complete car as of today. There is a major peice that have to be built which takes 2 weeks plus to complete. The actual peice has yet to be built. FYI, I know the company well that is building this major piece.

Anderson had the same dog and pony show when "building" the Falcon IndyCar - pictures - press conference with Tony George etc etc -- the car was never more than 65-75% complete.

stephenw_us
20th January 2010, 19:47
At this point USF1 is behind.

Only team with no driver announced and they still have not crash tested...not to mention we will not be able to judge the pace of the car until late February.

It just isn't looking good - A for effort but this is Formula One, where guys like Jackie Stewart and Alain Prost have had teams and not been able to sustain them...

Reality check people, we have no drivers, no FIA approved car.

DazzlaF1
20th January 2010, 19:52
At this point USF1 is behind.

Only team with no driver announced and they still have not crash tested...not to mention we will not be able to judge the pace of the car until late February.

It just isn't looking good - A for effort but this is Formula One, where guys like Jackie Stewart and Alain Prost have had teams and not been able to sustain them...

Reality check people, we have no drivers, no FIA approved car.

errm 3 years, managed to win a race, a top 4 finish in the constructors in 1999 and helped the team make profits every season they were known as Stewart. Struggling to sustain?, id call that a darn good effort being rewarded.

Its best to wait until their first official apearance on January 8th to judge where they are.

stephenw_us
20th January 2010, 21:01
Sorry but US F1 is clearly behind the other teams. It's a fact.

BMW_F1
20th January 2010, 22:18
The USF1 team appears to be slightly behind schedule.. I won’t say compared to the other teams because many others are on the same boat.. (Renault just failed their tests & lack a second driver plus sponsorship, Campos is one driver short and needs money, Virgin is God knows doing what at the moment) .. What we know now is that most new entrants will miss the first tests however USf1 will be testing in Alabama if everything goes well..

What I do like is their revolutionary approach of enhancing the fan experience by showing us detail information about their team’s operations through various means (videos, facebook, web blogs). As the season progresses I am sure that the information presented would be top notch and very valuable to us F1 fans..

jens
20th January 2010, 23:58
The lack of announcement of drivers isn't that big of a problem IMO. I remember Minardi confirming their drivers as late as a few weeks before the opening Grand Prix. But how far the car development is - now, that's a more critical question and we won't have a fully satisfactory answer to that until Alabama...

I think what creates scepticism about USF1, is that the planning period of their F1 project has been a lot longer than the one of the other new teams, which means that they should be "expected" to be much more advanced with their project. I mean Lotus got their entry as late as in September, but already within a few months have managed to improve much farther than USF1 has managed during almost the whole year.

BMW_F1
21st January 2010, 00:04
I think that the main reason for that delay and their extensive planning time compared to Lotus is that USf1 started from Zero whereas MalaysiaF1 is using an existing racing facility in the UK to build their car..

Mark in Oshawa
21st January 2010, 00:08
I wanted to bring this up since they state this in the investor proposals (I have a copy). USF1 have been going to potential investors that have -0- knowledge in racing or motorsports business. Chad Hurley had never been to a race until USF1 took him to one.

Many rich guys get involved in racing based on emotion and when they find out how much it is costing them without any return - they go away forever. BUT..people like Windsor and Anderson are preying on this type of person. Not knowing racing, taking in everything they say as the gospel, no way to verify how much FOMA provides the teams these "investors" are taking it all in.

I guess we will see if this happens. I do know for a fact they have yet to have a complete car as of today. There is a major peice that have to be built which takes 2 weeks plus to complete. The actual peice has yet to be built. FYI, I know the company well that is building this major piece.

Anderson had the same dog and pony show when "building" the Falcon IndyCar - pictures - press conference with Tony George etc etc -- the car was never more than 65-75% complete.

Too many people with a clue are expecting a car, and too many people with large legal retainers will sue if there isn't one.

That said, they are way behind and they started this process 18 months ago so it is a joke they haven't put a car on the track to test.

This thing has "back of the grid" status pretty much assured....

Giuseppe F1
23rd January 2010, 09:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81032

US F1 set to announce Lopez
Saturday, January 23rd 2010, 09:35 GMT

Team US F1 is set to announce Jose Maria Lopez as its first driver for its maiden Formula 1 campaign in a press conference in Argentina on Monday.

Lopez, a former Renault test driver, revealed several months ago that he had secured a US F1 seat provided he found the necessary funding. The 26-year-old's spokesman Miguel Mattos confirmed to Reuters that the deal was now complete.

"Everything has been agreed and the official announcement will be made on Monday," Mattos told the news agency.

AUTOSPORT understands that grand prix winner Carlos Reutemann, a close friend of US F1 boss Peter Windsor and now a leading politician in Argentina, has been instrumental in putting the funding package together for Lopez, who will receive a degree of government backing alongside other Argentinian sponsors.

Giuseppe F1
23rd January 2010, 10:00
J-Lo a cert for the USF1 seat so that leaves just 3 F1 seats remaining

VkmSpouge
23rd January 2010, 12:17
I hope Lopez has a better time in F1 than the last Argentine who raced in the championship, Gaston Mazzacane.

DexDexter
23rd January 2010, 12:23
Who is this Lopez anyway? What's his pedigree?

VkmSpouge
23rd January 2010, 12:28
José María López had a relatively mediorce time in F3000 and GP2 between 2004 and 2006 claiming 1 victory and 7 other podiums. Since 2007 he's alternated between sportscars (ALMS and FIA GT) and the Argentine touring car series, TC2000 winning the championship in 2008 and 2009.

(All information from Wikipedia)

23rd January 2010, 12:29
Who is this Lopez anyway? What's his pedigree?

Ex Renault tester, ex GP2 driver (1 win in 2005), current Argentinian Touring Car champion and V6 Race champion and, most importantly, a man with $8million in his wallet.

He's not exactly Fangio.

But if he helps USF1 get onto the grid, then he has done what they needed him to do.

christophulus
23rd January 2010, 12:49
USF1 really need to get a driver with some experience in their other seat. I've never heard of Lopez personally, and two rookies in your first F1 season is a big, big risk.

52Paddy
23rd January 2010, 17:23
USF1 really need to get a driver with some experience in their other seat. I've never heard of Lopez personally, and two rookies in your first F1 season is a big, big risk.

I agree. Anybody care to take a guess at who it could be? JV? :eek:

DazzlaF1
23rd January 2010, 17:31
José María López had a relatively mediorce time in F3000 and GP2 between 2004 and 2006 claiming 1 victory and 7 other podiums. Since 2007 he's alternated between sportscars (ALMS and FIA GT) and the Argentine touring car series, TC2000 winning the championship in 2008 and 2009.

(All information from Wikipedia)

Well on the plus side, i can think of another driver who spent 2 years in GP2 that were at best "mediocre" then shone when put into an F1 car, his name, Kamui Kobayashi.

Now i dont think Lopez will come in and be a pleasant suprise like Kobayashi was but i think he'll do a solid job and not one that could put him in the same league as Deletraz, Inoue and Lavaggi (infact making comparisons with him to those is a bit daft in my view seeing that he has'nt even driven the car yet)

If the points are still going down to 10th place then i fancy him to pick up at best the odd 9th or 10th place finish

jens
24th January 2010, 18:02
At least USF1 has achieved one thing - they are already a more popular discussion subject than any other new team and basically they beat even many existing teams in that department. So the propaganda has worked. :p :

IMSA
25th January 2010, 01:07
I do not think it matters if Lopez is announced or not. I doubt that they will make it to the first race.

In Jonathan Ingrams article:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=355423&FS=F1

He made this statement: "The undertray, meanwhile, has been farmed out to nearby Crawford Composites and its larger autoclave."

I would think Jonathan would have picked up the phone and called Crawford Composites and check this out. I have been told this important part has indeed WILL BE farmed out due to the larger autoclave, BUT>>>>>>> the has NOT been sent to Crawford to be made. This takes over TWO WEEKS to be completed. They will need SEVERAL for the first race - one for each car and a minimum of two back ups.

Mr Ingram PLEASE verify you statement OR are you going on what USF1 tells you???? Please do not get SUCKED into their black hole.

Mia 01
25th January 2010, 09:19
At least USF1 has achieved one thing - they are already a more popular discussion subject than any other new team and basically they beat even many existing teams in that department. So the propaganda has worked. :p :

Have they got any new sponsors this way?

Giuseppe F1
26th January 2010, 00:06
ITS OFFICIAL - USF1 CONFIRM J-LO:

http://www.usgpe.com/news/us-f1-team-announces-jose-maria-lopez-as-driver-for-2010-season.html

BMW_F1
27th January 2010, 14:45
New video is up..
US F1 Team - In Detail: Electrical Wiring System (http://www.youtube.com/user/USF1Team#p/a/u/0/_NX3tDw4qMI)

wedge
27th January 2010, 15:48
ITS OFFICIAL - USF1 CONFIRM J-LO:

Should one phonetically pronounce it as jay-lo or hay-lo? :D

edv
27th January 2010, 16:00
So, what are they going to nickname him?
Pechito?
or J-Lo?

(or lapped-dog LOL)

Dave B
27th January 2010, 16:37
J-Slow?

52Paddy
27th January 2010, 23:10
J-Slow?

Or J-Fast, if he's fast.

ykiki
28th January 2010, 00:13
Looks like the END of February for USF1's first test.
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-usf1-to-make-late-february-test-debut/

Mia 01
28th January 2010, 06:29
Take a leaf out of Campos book.

It will be good if that happens.

Dave B
28th January 2010, 08:45
Or J-Fast, if he's fast.
Even if he is, he'll have a job to demonstrate it when his car's 5 seconds off the pace.

ZequeArgentina
28th January 2010, 12:15
It is still a long way till start of the season, It will be a tought time to keep quiet on the forum, reading all the "experts" who already know USF1 will be 5 seconds slower.

I prefer to wait, even test will not show real potential, but seeing the cars in a circuit should be the first we should wait before making speculation.

Dave B
28th January 2010, 14:05
Like Manuel, I know nooooothing. I can also speak English, I learned it from a boooook.

But my opinion is that USF1 will be dog slow. 5 seconds off the pace is my conservative estimate. I may well be wrong, I don't have a crystal ball, I'm merely offering an opinion.

If we all sat around waiting for facts then the off-season would be very long and dull. :)

52Paddy
28th January 2010, 16:13
If we all sat around waiting for facts then the off-season would be very long and dull. :)

:up: Good man. And I've enjoyed the off-season banter on the forums so far. It's been interesting getting to grips with everybody's ideas and speculations about the coming season, regardless of how far-fetched they might seem.

I'm not surprised that the test has been re-scheduled again. If they don't test the car on the given dates, fat chance they'll make the opening round. And if they do test the car, that's not guaranteeing they'll make the first round either. But I wholeheartedly hope they do make Bahrain - for the sport's sake.

I wouldn't say they'll be 5secs off the pace, but 3, touching on 4, would definitely fit my perspective of things. I don't think they'll do quite as bad a job as Forti did in 1995, or Lola in 1997. But not far better either.

ZequeArgentina
28th January 2010, 20:06
More than opinions, I would call them "bets" or "guesses"

52Paddy
28th January 2010, 20:29
More than opinions, I would call them "bets" or "guesses"

Yeah, you could call them that too :)

DazzlaF1
28th January 2010, 20:37
:up: Good man. And I've enjoyed the off-season banter on the forums so far. It's been interesting getting to grips with everybody's ideas and speculations about the coming season, regardless of how far-fetched they might seem.

I'm not surprised that the test has been re-scheduled again. If they don't test the car on the given dates, fat chance they'll make the opening round. And if they do test the car, that's not guaranteeing they'll make the first round either. But I wholeheartedly hope they do make Bahrain - for the sport's sake.

I wouldn't say they'll be 5secs off the pace, but 3, touching on 4, would definitely fit my perspective of things. I don't think they'll do quite as bad a job as Forti did in 1995, or Lola in 1997. But not far better either.

For their debut season, that would actually be quite a respectable showing

shazbot
28th January 2010, 23:57
I think they'll be 12 months off the pace :)

maximilian
28th January 2010, 23:58
5 seconds off the pace is just for Lopez. Then, add the CAR allowance on top of that! :D

stephenw_us
29th January 2010, 00:03
I can't believe they are not trying to attend at least one test in Europe - we will have no idea how good or bad the car is...

wedge
29th January 2010, 00:27
Has Windsor ever bashed pay drivers on record? I would love Lopez to fail for that very reason.

jens
29th January 2010, 12:43
5 seconds off the pace is actually quite an optimistic guess considering the lack of experience of the team in designing F1 cars. I guess 6-7 seconds per lap might be a realistic estimate as well. Better than 1997 Lola, but similar to 1994 Simtek and Pacific.

gloomyDAY
31st January 2010, 05:27
http://grandprixdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/usf1.jpg

Sonic
31st January 2010, 08:45
5 seconds off the pace is actually quite an optimistic guess considering the lack of experience of the team in designing F1 cars. I guess 6-7 seconds per lap might be a realistic estimate as well. Better than 1997 Lola, but similar to 1994 Simtek and Pacific.

Hey! That's disrespectful to Pacific/Simtek/Forti ;) :p

Now let's see. Lola were 10 seconds behind JV's Aus pole in '97 (but to be fair no one got within 2 seconds of JV - so 8 seconds off the pack

In 1994, Gachot qualified 0.7 (6 secs off pole) seconds behind the car in 24th - a reasonably respectable performance in their first GP beating the other startup team.

Roberto Moreno qualified 0.3 (6secs off pole) seconds behind the car in front at the same race 12 months later, beating both Simteks in the process. Again a very respectable showing first time out.

If USF1 manage to beat any of the other new boys I'll be amazed - their performance will be much closer to Lolas useless effort than the names already listed.

Bullet
1st February 2010, 19:57
http://grandprixdiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/usf1.jpg

Brilliant :D Rumors are it will also have Crager rims, Private health insurance sponsorship, maybe a rocket launcher or 2... and it's going to be built in China.

Stuartf12007
1st February 2010, 20:04
They will last 2 - 3 races before running out of money.

Dave B
2nd February 2010, 13:30
From James Allen's blog (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/01/deals-done-over-campos-stefan-and-no-shows-in-2010/):

And, intriguingly, with several new teams struggling one way or another, it appears that a deal may have been agreed whereby the new teams will be allowed three ‘no-shows’ at races in the next season.

I wonder which teams he could be talking about? Doesn't that just demonstrate that the FIA's vetting procedure was hopeless?

jens
2nd February 2010, 16:39
Which teams? USF1 and Campos, of course. :)

I am evil Homer
2nd February 2010, 17:00
Indeed...the other two have launch dates already!!!

V12
2nd February 2010, 17:26
Interesting how the four newcomers seem to have split into two groups, with Virgin and Lotus expected to do very respectably and USF1 and Campos expected to at best struggle, at worst not show up at all. For what it's worth I'd pretty much go along with that consensus (as best I can, since obviously none of them have hit the track yet).

To be honest I think if (and I know it's a big if) Campos get their finances sorted, they'll be alright. The Dallara is unlikely to be a dog, I'd say technically the Wirth/Manor/Virgin CFD car will be more of a risk than Campos's Dallara, although of course Wirth could equally be on to a flyer as well, or it could make no significant difference at all, but it is an unknown, for now.

USF1 is the big question mark to me, but let's see how it goes, I'm getting really excited about all these new teams and I'd love to be proven wrong on this one.

wedge
3rd February 2010, 13:21
Of all the new teams one would've expected USF1 to be up and running with the least problems but then its Peter Windsor running the team

Riley
3rd February 2010, 14:24
Of all the new teams one would've expected USF1 to be up and running with the least problems but then its Peter Windsor running the team

You are kidding, right? Of all the new teams I expect the least of USF1.

Riley
3rd February 2010, 17:19
Its one thing to announce something, quite another to actually start pulling all the parts together that make up an F1 team. They actually started late (with a somewhere near full strength factory) and that'll be reflected by the now show in Bahrain (let alone the Barber Motorsports shake down).

stephenw_us
3rd February 2010, 17:30
USF1 is now revealed...totally behind the 8 ball - one driver announced, no car...in fact, they've fell completely silent while every other team is being talked about...

In other words:

FAIL

ykiki
3rd February 2010, 19:51
USF1 is now revealed...totally behind the 8 ball - one driver announced, no car...in fact, they've fell completely silent while every other team is being talked about...

In other words:

FAIL

I know you were quite pis*ed off about the whole "hire a driver backed by Argentina" thing - which I didn't really mind. I know in this economy you take what you can get, and that "get" more than likely will be another non-American. But USF1, with their built-in state of the art media production center, can't show us anything more than staff interviews and videos of wiring (on a mock-up) and how to assemble a nosecone? Really??? How about showing us videos of progress on the actual car?

From the beginning, Windsor made it sound like their operation would be transparent and open for any and all to see. So far, at this late stage, is there anything to see?

Here and other threads, there's a lot of back and forth over the team hiring non-US drivers and whether Americans can obtain a Superlicense. My question - can the team at least hire Rossi or Hildebrand as a test driver? You may not have Americans racing for you this year, but at least then you'd be able to show that you're grooming American(s) within USF1 for future drivers.

ArrowsFA1
4th February 2010, 15:09
USF1 is increasingly looking like A1GP to me. Nice idea but...

Still, they're saying they will be in Bahrain, so good luck to them.

Mia 01
4th February 2010, 16:41
Campos or USF1, one of them or both will fail open up a spot for Stefan F1.

BE want´s this, it will happen.

Riley
4th February 2010, 18:32
Campos or USF1, one of them or both will fail open up a spot for Stefan F1.

BE want´s this, it will happen.

Sadly I think you are correct. USF1 have have been late paying staff at least twice in the last few weeks.

ykiki
4th February 2010, 20:37
Sadly I think you are correct. USF1 have have been late paying staff at least twice in the last few weeks.

Hadn't heard this before

veeten
5th February 2010, 16:00
looks like the second driver may be added by next week...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39891

DazzlaF1
5th February 2010, 18:05
looks like the second driver may be added by next week...

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39891

He's done well in Superleague Formula for the past 2 years, although im not familiar with the overall strength of the drivers in the series. So i'll stay on the fence concerning Valles.

The same website are saying that Lopez has stated that USF1 will debut their car in Barber, Alabama in late February

IMSA
6th February 2010, 14:36
USF1 can announce drivers all day long, but they will not make it to the first race.

Let's see -- the latest I have heard:

No engine -- late on payments to Cosworth

No shocks --- no payment made (company knows Anderson well - no $$ no shocks)

No undertray -- has not been started --takes over 2 weeks to be completed (need more than one!!)

The front wing and tub has passed the crash test (third try on the tub) -but it really does not matter at this time.

I bet Anderson will "disappear" in the next 30-45 days. He has a BIG history of starting and then leaving.

Hopefully we will not have to hear his (and Windsor's BS) anymore about USF1.

I wonder if SPEED is holding his position open????

Anyone need any toasters??

VkmSpouge
6th February 2010, 15:26
USF1 can announce drivers all day long, but they will not make it to the first race.

Let's see -- the latest I have heard:

No engine -- late on payments to Cosworth

No shocks --- no payment made (company knows Anderson well - no $$ no shocks)

No undertray -- has not been started --takes over 2 weeks to be completed (need more than one!!)

The front wing and tub has passed the crash test (third try on the tub) -but it really does not matter at this time.

I bet Anderson will "disappear" in the next 30-45 days. He has a BIG history of starting and then leaving.

Hopefully we will not have to hear his (and Windsor's BS) anymore about USF1.

I wonder if SPEED is holding his position open????

Anyone need any toasters??

Do you care to say where you've heard these things or are they just unsubstantiated rumours?

Riley
6th February 2010, 16:52
Do you care to say where you've heard these things or are they just unsubstantiated rumours?

I can't reveal sources either but I can idependantly confirm the sad state of affairs. One part that might be wrong - the front wing/nose passing the crash test. They have passed independant tests, but I don't think they've passed the FIA witness test - that is to say witnessed by the FIA at an approved facility. Similarly, and almost unbelivably there is no front wing (or rear for that matter). Also, they may have passed the various chassis tests, but I think they have only just got the first bare tub finished. Sme of the these tests are not actually carried out on the chasiss initially. Testing of the roll hoop and side imapct structures can be done independantly of the tub. Of course to fully pass with the FIA they have to be done on the chassis.

DazzlaF1
6th February 2010, 18:14
I can't reveal sources either but I can idependantly confirm the sad state of affairs. One part that might be wrong - the front wing/nose passing the crash test. They have passed independant tests, but I don't think they've passed the FIA witness test - that is to say witnessed by the FIA at an approved facility. Similarly, and almost unbelivably there is no front wing (or rear for that matter). Also, they may have passed the various chassis tests, but I think they have only just got the first bare tub finished. Sme of the these tests are not actually carried out on the chasiss initially. Testing of the roll hoop and side imapct structures can be done independantly of the tub. Of course to fully pass with the FIA they have to be done on the chassis.

Let me remind you of this video of them finishing this first bare tub, now look at the date of when the video was posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVYZDsc6XWo

Plus everytime i have seen articles of Peter Windsor being questioned about the doubts about their participation, he's always remained adamant that they will be in Bahrain.

52Paddy
6th February 2010, 19:49
Plus everytime i have seen articles of Peter Windsor being questioned about the doubts about their participation, he's always remained adamant that they will be in Bahrain.

Just like Simon Gillett remained adamant about the 2010 British GP being at Donington ;)

Giuseppe F1
6th February 2010, 20:11
PICTURE UPDATE FROM USF1

J-Lo visits the team in Charlotte to inspect the new cars and have his seat fitting:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs189.snc3/19666_297679451185_223461686185_4151444_3387097_n. jpg

racepode1
6th February 2010, 21:24
Looks like thes guys see that tube for first time.

Giuseppe F1
6th February 2010, 21:39
FIRST FULL CAD PROFILE DRAWING OF THE 2010 USF1 TYPE 1 CHASSIS:

http://wheelnutsjournal.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a5145462970b01287769c2f5970c-pi

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416116292&o=int&prev=si

DazzlaF1
7th February 2010, 00:00
FIRST FULL CAD PROFILE DRAWING OF THE 2010 USF1 TYPE 1 CHASSIS:
http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416116292&o=int&prev=si

That article was a good read.

As for the car itself, it definitely looks like it shares Virgin's model of a simple design idea, except in this case without the "horned" nose section.

Go on USF1, anyone that could go and prove that grey haried weasel wrong deserves some real respect.

Riley
7th February 2010, 01:01
Let me remind you of this video of them finishing this first bare tub, now look at the date of when the video was posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVYZDsc6XWo

:) Don't believe everything you see on youtube! That was a mock up tub - just a basic layup so they can route wiring, fit rad ducts, seat, pedals etc etc. It will never see a race track.

Don't get me wrong I want US F1 to suceed, but honestly they are so far off it's not funny. Time (which is running out) will bear all.

shazbot
7th February 2010, 01:07
Nose looks familiar......oooooh below the belt!! :)

Dave B
7th February 2010, 10:54
Just like Simon Gillett remained adamant about the 2010 British GP being at Donington ;)
There are similarities between the two ventures: lots of PR guff but very little substance.

IMSA
7th February 2010, 14:23

My sources regarding the shocks and undertray are direct with the people involved. As for the crash testing, thanks Riley...I was told that they "passed" something but as you say it prob was not the FIA.

As for my statements about Anderson disappearing...well that is what he does and has done MANY times in the past.

He has skipped out in the middle of the night as well as when time get tough he has left the shop while others put the Falcon together with FAKE parts prior to the press conference showing the Falcon IndyCar with Tony George.

As for Windsor admantly telling everyone they will be at the first race. Well...he tells potential investors that USF1 will RECEIVE $40 MILLION from FOA for racing in 2010!!!! I have the documents.

There guys are embarrasssing!!!

I would love to see a team from the US but when I heard it was Anderson and Windsor - I was very disappointed.

DexDexter
7th February 2010, 15:12
My sources regarding the shocks and undertray are direct with the people involved. As for the crash testing, thanks Riley...I was told that they "passed" something but as you say it prob was not the FIA.

As for my statements about Anderson disappearing...well that is what he does and has done MANY times in the past.

He has skipped out in the middle of the night as well as when time get tough he has left the shop while others put the Falcon together with FAKE parts prior to the press conference showing the Falcon IndyCar with Tony George.

As for Windsor admantly telling everyone they will be at the first race. Well...he tells potential investors that USF1 will RECEIVE $40 MILLION from FOA for racing in 2010!!!! I have the documents.

There guys are embarrasssing!!!

I would love to see a team from the US but when I heard it was Anderson and Windsor - I was very disappointed.

I'm not questioning whether you information is correct or not but it seems that you have some sort of a personal grudge against them...

POS_Maggott
7th February 2010, 16:19
Anyone can speculate, but nobody can be proven wrong or right until the first race.

As adamant as a lot of people are about the sad state of affairs at USF1 are, having so much faith in their "direct" sources seems a bit short-sighted to me...

Lord knows that if I were that sure, I'd have a hard time showing my face back here if/when USF1 show up to Bahrain; properly prepared or not.

I can't say they will, I can't say they won't -- and I don't think anyone here can.

IMSA
7th February 2010, 16:31
I'm not questioning whether you information is correct or not but it seems that you have some sort of a personal grudge against them...

No grudge -- I am just stating the truth. I do not like dishonest people in racing. It makes the entire industry look bad.

Chad Hurley would be a great source for motorsports, but after all this is said and done, he (and everyone that he is tight with) will NEVER look at racing again.

IMSA
7th February 2010, 16:36
Anyone can speculate, but nobody can be proven wrong or right until the first race.

As adamant as a lot of people are about the sad state of affairs at USF1 are, having so much faith in their "direct" sources seems a bit short-sighted to me...

Lord knows that if I were that sure, I'd have a hard time showing my face back here if/when USF1 show up to Bahrain; properly prepared or not.

I can't say they will, I can't say they won't -- and I don't think anyone here can.

Sorry dude, my contacts are good, honest racers. Charlotte is a small community and suppliers (and all others) talk. How can they (or me)be "short sided"??? In ANY business you have to be PAID for your goods or services. Many have given Anderson too many chances. Do you work for free?? Racing is a business not a hobby from many.

Hopefully this is the last we will see of Anderson.

Riley
7th February 2010, 20:23

If US F1 are in Bahrain I'll never post here again! How's that? :)

Sonic
7th February 2010, 21:02
If US F1 are in Bahrain I'll never post here again! How's that? :)

Woah! Are you sure? We are pretty awesome round these parts ;)

Easy Drifter
7th February 2010, 22:25
We seem to have 2 posters (1 pretty new) with real inside knowledge of what is going on with USF1. We do not know if they are for real or not but there is no reason to doubt them. Obviously they cannot tell us who they really are.
There are no posters actually refuting anything they say and I expect there are a few more people reading this forum with real knowledge of where things stand.
I do hope USF1 make it but as anyone who has read my postings from the first announcement knows I have had my doubts. Announcing plans when you do not even have a 1 room office and remaining that way for weeks did not inspire confidence. Short term office rentals are easy to find and in the long term cheap.
Setting up in the US made things more difficult but it also kept real prying eyes a little further away.
Just about every claim made has had to be backtracked or altered.
Shades of Tony George!

Saint Devote
8th February 2010, 00:35
Doubt expressed by posters and comparing how Peter Windsor has said USF1 will be conducted and what has been, is one thing.

The declarations of these two posters is something else entirely.

There is not long to go before either USF1 shows itself - Alabamha - or not.

nigelred5
8th February 2010, 02:20
You just need to remember, there is a whole lot of outsourcing going on in the USF1 project, and there is no shortage of people directly employed by many of the involved companies on this and many other forums that have always been willing to divulge what they know, just not their identity. These same companies supply quite a few racing teams in a wide range of US series. I've traded several texts with people I know in NASCAR and Grand am that have told me the same things off-line. This isn't even close to the first time I've heard these same rumors in the past couple of weeks, nor are they theonly ones I've heard.

racepode1
8th February 2010, 03:08
Look what are saying one employee of the USF1:
Look at the post Number 2992 he also refers to this forum:
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=115762&st=2960&p=4123537&#entry4123537

racepode1
8th February 2010, 03:51
And the other side of the coin,
http://www.corsaonline.com.ar/2010/02/07/N-2597-pero-mira-que-lindo.php
This magazine is one of the sponsors of pechito and say that Pechito got some pictures of the almost complete car and also say that the test will be on 20 of this month.

DexDexter
8th February 2010, 07:45
Look what are saying one employee of the USF1:
Look at the post Number 2992 he also refers to this forum:
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=115762&st=2960&p=4123537&#entry4123537

Sounds really bad and the impression I got from the text is the writer is not making those things up...

jens
8th February 2010, 12:21
Oh, how awesome is that. USF1 has taken one step further in their public relations and now have actually introduced several team insiders on various F1 forums to create even more attention around them. :p : You know, "bad news" sell better than "good news"!

Anyway, I do not want to speculate whether those people are for real, which doesn't even matter that much at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised even one tad bit if things were as bad as described. To me the whole project has seemed iffy right from the beginning. However, I don't get why did the Argentine government decide to back USF1 and Lopez without fully knowing, how much hope does the project have.

Giuseppe F1
8th February 2010, 13:15
Has anyone here noticed JUST HOW similar the respective nosecones of the Ken Anderson designed 2003 Falcon Indycar and 2010 USF1 F1 car are - ive shown some comparitive images for reference - the similarity I feel is particularly visible in the pictures which are 2nd down ffrom the top in both columns - especially the way the nose tapers down at the underside.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs211.snc3/21850_459403310219_798175219_10908255_4497701_n.jp g

Obviously the same designer so there will be similar cues in the design I guess but somewhat amazing that the noses look SO similar in cars which a) have been designed for completely different disciplines and b) are separated in conception by some 7 years!

Should this be worrying? Has Ken simply recycled bits of the Falcon indycar design or was there something he found in the windtunnel that was so promising in the Indycar that it was a must that it should be transferred to his F1 car?

Also, just as a bit of fun, how would you best describe the relationship between this Ken Anderson designed Indycar and Ken Anderson designed F1 car?........would it make them brothers?.....step-brothers?........cousins......? Father and son? :)

jens
8th February 2010, 13:29
Well, like every person has its own handwriting, then also a designer has his own style. It is rather unlikely he has found something "extraordinary" in the windtunnel.

But it would be interesting to know, what happened to those Falcon cars? If they didn't race, were there at least some relevant laptimes to compare against other Indycars from that time?

Worrying? Considering that the Falcon cars didn't race, this doesn't have a good omen for the F1 project, which already seems shaky.