PDA

View Full Version : Fit(base) or Focus (SE)?

tannat
23rd February 2007, 03:57
Would love the forum's input:

We're finally taking a big step and upgrading my 20 year old BMW to something new with a working air conditioner (nice to have in Memphis, TN).

I've harassed every dealer with a car in the under-$15k segment, and it has narrowed down to the below 2. Why just 2? Primarily because of interest rates. We'll get the Ford at 0.9% and the Honda at 4.9% (everything else was close to 7% for the term we required).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Focus because it has a lower monthly payment by $20, and is in the color I want. Thye only available Fit is a similar color to my wife's minivan, and that just seems a bit unimaginative to me.

However, if the salesman's reply to my question about the Fit Sport is what I want to hear, then I'm going to snatch it immediately (Milano red paint that looks straight from Maranello, paddle shifters, WHEEE!)!

For the EU crowd I've posted links so you can see the Ameri-spec version of these cars...

Honda Fit:
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Fit

Ford Focus:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/focus/

captin 1 VXR
23rd February 2007, 06:39
buy the ford

the honda in uk is a jazz :rolleyes: and grandad buy them here :D

so go for a ford focus ( but if it was in usa i go for a ford boss f150 in yellow )

Captain VXR
23rd February 2007, 09:10
Nah, I say Fit. There's also a huge Fit tuning scene in north america if you want it to go faster than stock.

janneppi
23rd February 2007, 09:34
Is American version basically the old Focus with a new grill?

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 10:42
If it was my, I'd definately go with the Honda, especially if you can stretch to the sport version. There is no better engine in a family car than Honda's VTEC series and the gearboxes are legendary too, you won't find a smoother manual change anywhere else.

The Focus is OK but it wouldn't be my choice.

Donney
23rd February 2007, 11:17
I am a Focus driver and I absolutely love the car, it drives great, the steering is perfect and the suspension is amazing. So I'm a little biased here, since I have never drive the Honda, it is not very popular around here, I don't know why to be honest.

tsarcasm
24th February 2007, 21:09
Tannat, if you like good cars ( and only replacing them when necessary ) don't get a FORD.

In the states fords are crap, not like Cossie's that you get in the UK we get junk. The new Focus is a 3rd. reface of the 1st generation Focus (yes the 1997 version, is still sold in america). Europe is almost to the 3rd. gen. Focus.

Anyway Found On Road Dead, a Ford will not last another 20 years, a HONDA will!

bowler
25th February 2007, 01:01
Honda would be my choice, but go and drive them both.

a few dollars now will be irrelevant ove rthe life of the vehicle.

tannat
25th February 2007, 04:31
Honda would be my choice, but go and drive them both.

a few dollars now will be irrelevant ove rthe life of the vehicle.

Wish it were onlly a few dollars...

We missed the 4.9% rate on the Honda, so the Sport is clearly out of my range. The base model is about $40 more per month than the Focus, and that's simply more than we can swing...

Ford is offering incredible financing on the Focus ($3000 off or 0.9%), and no on else has even come close to their deal..

Unless we hear something differently from the Honda dealer. I'll be driving an Infra Red 4 door SE by Wednesday.

Perhaps not my first choice, but the budget is stronger than my desires. I'll let you guys know should matters change.

jonas_mcrae
2nd March 2007, 14:15
buy a charger...
no no no, it will break into pieces, buy the honda

oily oaf
2nd March 2007, 16:47
I'd go for the Honda if I were you mate.

I'm a Honda technician and I haven't done any work for 5 years ;)

tannat
3rd March 2007, 02:35
Ended up with the Focus..

It's a nice looking ride-a very nice red (infra red, they call it) with tan interior (not my first choice). Has hub caps in lieu of the wheels :down: but I've got a set of 15 " wheels.

I think my wife and I both agreed would would have preferred the Honda, but we simply couldn't do another $50 per month-absolutely no way.

We'll have it paid in 5 years, at which time it should have roughly 50-60,000 miles. It should easily last that long (bumper to bumper warranty 3 years or 36000 miles). I think I could handle nearly any repair short of replacing a tranny on it (chain driven cams :up :) .

I'll keep you guys informed. Hope we don't regret it.

I should say it does feel a bit cheap (however it is something of a base model).

Cheers,
Tannat

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd March 2007, 10:54
Where do prices for 2nd hand Focus start in the UK? Would I get one for £3000?

Iain
3rd March 2007, 16:07
Probably less than that. Nearly 9 years since the car came out, so they'll be fairly cheap nowadays.