PDA

View Full Version : Studying motorsports in the UK

Schwarz325
19th December 2009, 14:39
Hey everybody, i'm new here. I came across this website a few times when researching about studying motorsports in the uk. I don't know if this is an appropriate place to post this, but i felt like it was. Also, i know this is a racing forum, but i know there's a few people out there that would know about what i'm asking about.

Anyway, i'm 22 years old and i live in the united states. Ever since i was little i loved cars and putting stuff together. I went to college for criminal justice but that went south so i didn't get my degree. Now i wanna do something with my life and i want to build race cars. College i went to has a motorsports program, but it's mainly nascar stuff, which is not bad because they still teach you chassis dynamics, engine building etc.

I've found a college in surray i believe but i didn't find much info on out of country students. Now, i'm a bosnian citizen living in the u.s so i think that would be a little hard. But if you guys know any schools or have any info on out of country students and stuff like that i would really appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Macd
19th December 2009, 15:11
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying/courses/undergraduate/2010/motorsport_beng

A course like that? you should be able to study in this country without too mcuh of a difficulty.

Schwarz325
20th December 2009, 01:50
Hey thanks for that info.

Is there any kind of motorsport certificate. It's like where you go to school for a year and they put you to work after that and you start gaining experience. That is more engineering oriented, which is i guess what most of the motorsport people are, but i'd like something more simpler and quicker to achieve. I'm not trying to work for F1 right away or anything, just kinda want to get into building race cars.

Steve Boyd
20th December 2009, 14:39
You could try this college in Northern England:
http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=subjects-motorsports-fe

The have motorsports engineering and management courses at degree & diploma level and run their own race & rally cars prepared & supported on events by the students.

Information for overseas students:
http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=international

Schwarz325
21st December 2009, 03:39
Thanks for the info, that stuff is great.

What's the difference between a diploma and a degree level? From what i could gather through researching is that diploma is of a lesser value, so to say. My question, how do these two compare? Is a racing team looking for employees with a degree or a diploma by UK standars. ( i feel like they'd pick somebody with a degree)

Steve Boyd
21st December 2009, 22:00
A diploma generally has a lower academic level than a degree but is more practically focussed. Think diploma for technician & degree for engineer & you'll get the idea. A diploma can also often be used as an entry qualification for a degree course, so if you don't have the requirements to get on the degree course you can do the diploma first and then progress later. Engineering apprentices in many UK industries leave school at 16 - 17 and study for dilplomas part-time while getting practical training at work. Many continue to study part-time for bachelor & then masters degrees while continuing their career development at work. It takes longer than staying at school until 18 - 19 & then 3 or 4 years full time at university but you get more practical experience & start earning earlier. It just depends what suits the individual.

Schwarz325
21st December 2009, 22:38
Yeah i thought it was kinda like that. So, for someone like me at 22, what seems to be the best option if i were to move to the UK in the next 1-2 years. I'm thinking just a diploma and work, i kinda wanna live in europe again provided i can work on cars there.

Steve Boyd
22nd December 2009, 22:18
Yeah i thought it was kinda like that. So, for someone like me at 22, what seems to be the best option if i were to move to the UK in the next 1-2 years. I'm thinking just a diploma and work, i kinda wanna live in europe again provided i can work on cars there.

Now you need to talk to someone in the motorsport business - I've spent 35 years as an engineer making electric cables & their installation accessories to fill the time between rallies!