PDA

View Full Version : Take this Job and Shove it!!!!

Mark in Oshawa
19th December 2009, 05:43
Did something today I vowed I would never do. Get so mad at an employer that I would leave in a rather vocal fashion with no 2 week notice.

Not sure I should have, but I was asked to do something that would have taken me to Edmonton and back and NOT make it back for Christmas unless I drove illegally pretty much. The boss didn't like my attitude, so I let him know he wasn't the only Irishman in the company with a temper and I let him, and about 30 people in the open concept office know in no uncertain terms I was done....

A mistake? Maybe...but I feel better. Hated that job..hated being on the road.

gloomyDAY
19th December 2009, 08:00
Did something today I vowed I would never do. Get so mad at an employer that I would leave in a rather vocal fashion with no 2 week notice.

Not sure I should have, but I was asked to do something that would have taken me to Edmonton and back and NOT make it back for Christmas unless I drove illegally pretty much. The boss didn't like my attitude, so I let him know he wasn't the only Irishman in the company with a temper and I let him, and about 30 people in the open concept office know in no uncertain terms I was done....

A mistake? Maybe...but I feel better. Hated that job..hated being on the road.You're my hero.

At least you're not some spineless swine.

Seriously, thank you. I have something to think about come Monday.

Hondo
19th December 2009, 09:39
Bravo, my man, Bravo!!

One neat thing about getting older is being less tolerant about the BS of "the game". I did something similar once when I worked for Compaq. I loved it and never looked back.

You were looking for a job when you found that one.

Immigrate to the UK seeking asylum for something goofy, get a free 4 bedroom house and go on the dole. Think about how happy you'd be making some of your socialized UK sparring partners once they know that now a chunk of their paychecks is going to support your no job holding butt!

PM if you need some help.

Easy Drifter
19th December 2009, 09:56
Not a good time to walk but is there ever a good time?
With the Driver Testing Centres pretty well shut down with the strike there are probably quite a few firms looking for drivers but it sounds like you have had enough of that.

Sonic
19th December 2009, 13:19
*stunned silence!*

UltimateDanGTR
19th December 2009, 13:59
well done Mark for having some backbone!

anyhow, any idea what you are goign to do now?

race aficionado
19th December 2009, 17:00
Big step Mark.

Keep us posted.

race
:s mokin:

SportscarBruce
19th December 2009, 17:28
After reading the lead post this movie clip came to mind;

"Faaarrrr out!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsL8Pey_l8#t=3:36

:)

go to the 3:36 mark if the link didn't work as intended

SportscarBruce
19th December 2009, 17:51
Corrected link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsL8Pey_l8#t=3m36s

gloomyDAY
19th December 2009, 21:51
Corrected link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGsL8Pey_l8#t=3m36s
Stuff dreams are made out of. :D

Hondo
20th December 2009, 05:26
Gonna change your forum name to Mark on the sofa?

Mark in Oshawa
20th December 2009, 07:30
Gonna change your forum name to Mark on the sofa?

Mark in Oshawa on his Sofa? Naah....

I am thinking of getting into a new career. The trucking/logisitics/transportation industry is just too damned cutthroat. It has become very competitive mainly on the back of the people doing the actual work. There are some good companies out there, and then there are some who were good and are now getting desparate and mean trying to hang on. I was working for one.

What is apparent is I need a change. I hated being gone. I hated not seeing my lady every day. I hated not having my kitchen at my disposal. I am not a Gordon Ramsey but I do like to play around in the kitchen. I miss out a whole lot of interesting TV that piques my curiousity. Watching House, watching some cooking and home improvement shows that I used to watch regular ( Giada at home....not sure for the cooking or to just watch the lady move...).

I miss all of it, and yes my daily dose of debate and giggles on here. IF I have a job that has me home every night, I can do that.

So what do I do? Not sure. I thought about being a driving instructor, I have thought about being a drive test examiner (apparently the strike of those folks here is over, and they are actually short of those people). I may look at being a Teacher's assistant. I actually have a BA in Geography that I pretty much have shelved. Lots of reasons why, but it would be nice to say my university days were more than just memories of some great parties!

I thank all of you for the support. It does take a leap of faith and guts, but what did it for me was my boss didn't even try to sweet talk me. He started in on me, and that is just the wrong way to motivate me. I don't really like nasty confrontation, but once I cross the Rubicon, I will give as good as I get and then ramp up from there. He did it..and I finished it.

chuck34
21st December 2009, 00:02
Way to go Mark. Good luck and keep us posted

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2009, 03:56
It must be different in Canada then down here. Reliable people with CDLs are hard to come by these days. Is there any local stuff you could do instead of over the road? If you lived down this way I could hook you up with a few contacts.

A career change is always interesting and could lead to something more fun and rewarding, best of luck with it. It the mean time, enjoy the holidays!!!

Starter, the companies SAY they are hard to come by, yet a lot of companies don't appreciate people when they have them. There isn't much local right now, GM has downsized here and there is a glut of guys who are not driving trucks into GM no more.

I am looking into maybe going back to school or looking at other options. My wife wants me home, and if I can make enough just working local to pay my bills, I might just do it. I have no real burning ambition to ever run long haul again.

Eki
21st December 2009, 06:02
I am looking into maybe going back to school or looking at other options. My wife wants me home, and if I can make enough just working local to pay my bills, I might just do it. I have no real burning ambition to ever run long haul again.
Sounds good, how about studying and doing some local delivery jobs part time?

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2009, 06:06
Sounds good, how about studying and doing some local delivery jobs part time?

That may be where I end up actually Eki. Talked to a friend of mine who is a school teacher, and she suggested helping out as a teacher's assistant and maybe getting some experience that way to see if I like the idea of teaching. To enter a teacher's college program and be a teacher, you must put in some time working with kids. I am considering that. As for driving locally and doing cartage work or local stuff, not likely. The economy going south has a lot of guys with commericial trucking licenses wandering around here for too few jobs. I can always go back on the highway...just don't like that option.

Easy Drifter
21st December 2009, 07:20
Maybe think of Home Inspection? Some of the Community Colleges have courses in that. With granny McGuinty demanding inspections before sale there is probably a shortage of inspectors.
From what I have seen common sense and some training is all that is required plus probably a smoke gun and to detect drafts and a moisture meter.
Not very regulated yet I gather.

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2009, 09:30
Maybe think of Home Inspection? Some of the Community Colleges have courses in that. With granny McGuinty demanding inspections before sale there is probably a shortage of inspectors.
From what I have seen common sense and some training is all that is required plus probably a smoke gun and to detect drafts and a moisture meter.
Not very regulated yet I gather.

I have thought about it. Then I watched Mike Holmes new show where he torches home inspectors. Now I am not so sure....but maybe.

It isn't as easy as many of those bums make it look, mainly because they miss stuff they shouldn't.

Eki
22nd December 2009, 06:05
Mark in Oshawa on his Sofa? Naah....

Mark in Osofa?

leopard
22nd December 2009, 06:42

A mistake? Maybe...but I feel better. Hated that job..hated being on the road.
do you think who are you?
He paid you, you only need to acknowledge your mistake and try to avoid the same mistake in the future, I can but suggest to adjust your attitude, have you considered teacher is a proper job for you... ;)

Mark in Oshawa
22nd December 2009, 23:30
Mark in Osofa?

You know..people will just ask me where Osofa is....

Mark in Oshawa
22nd December 2009, 23:41
do you think who are you?
He paid you, you only need to acknowledge your mistake and try to avoid the same mistake in the future, I can but suggest to adjust your attitude, have you considered teacher is a proper job for you... ;)
Mr. Leopard, let me explain this to you: No man who employs another should EVER assume that his employee is a slave, or doesn't have a choice. I have the CHOICE to work in that workplace, just like he has the choice to fire me out the door if I don't follow company rules.

What happened that Friday morning was a simple case of him not caring about my life or personal family. IN the long haul over the road trucking industry here in North America, we drivers work long hours, do silly things like work through every holiday during the summer, give up 5 to 9 days or more to being alone on the road, and push ourselves sometimes beyond the log books ( unlike Europe, companies only pay lip service to the law while asking you to drive 12 or 14 hours a day if not more) to make sure THEIR product arrives on time. It was usually late being shipped because someone else made the mistake, but somehow it is always the driver's expectation to be on time no matter how late it was loaded. Now many might say don't do it, it isn't legal, but you wont work in the industry if you don't. That goes for my American friends as well.

Now Leopard, on that Friday last, I was being told off because the warehouse/crossdock did not have my trailer ready for me to leave on the Thursday night. It was somehow my fault that I didn't phone the big boss to get his warehouse employees in trouble for not having a trailer loaded for me that they were given no notice about. Since it would take them 3 hours to assemble the paperwork and load the trailer, I wouldn't have left until 10pm. Since I would not have made it more than 2 hours up the road before requiring sleep, I elected to go to my home for one last night with my wife, who by the way hit the roof when she found out I wass being asked to take a 7 day long road trip to Western Canada 7 days before Christmas Eve. I would be lucky to be back home by the 24th since the odds of going to Edmonton and back at the start of winter without hitting a major snow somewhere in the journey are nil. So I really had no desire to go. However, My boss was upset with me for not having left when I got back in the next morning, and I realized, a man who does not respect I have a family life ( family being more important than one's employer) is not to be worked for.

THAT is when I decided on the spot to tell him I wouldn't bother him any more.

You can criticize me for that, then by all rights, go ahead. You will notice you are the only one with that view. What you have to understand is a job is a job, and NOT more important than spending time with one's family at the one major holiday my family takes quite seriously. What I was taking out west wasn't something that would cure cancer, or save a village from starvation, it was merely product from one warehouse to another that was promised to be there at a time of year when pre planning and forsight would have meant it was shipped well in advance. I could quit with a clear conscience. My boss doesn't own me. Slavery ended on this continent in 1863 and in Canada 1763. I quit...and no one can say I didn't make the right decision for me.

Malbec
23rd December 2009, 00:57
I am thinking of getting into a new career. The trucking/logisitics/transportation industry is just too damned cutthroat. It has become very competitive mainly on the back of the people doing the actual work. There are some good companies out there, and then there are some who were good and are now getting desparate and mean trying to hang on. I was working for one.

So what do I do? Not sure. I thought about being a driving instructor, I have thought about being a drive test examiner (apparently the strike of those folks here is over, and they are actually short of those people). I may look at being a Teacher's assistant. I actually have a BA in Geography that I pretty much have shelved. Lots of reasons why, but it would be nice to say my university days were more than just memories of some great parties!

I might be adding two and two together to get five but what about using your uni degree with your experience in trucking to step up the ladder and become a manager yourself? It may not be quite what you've dreamed for but its probably the most straight forward and productive path you can take with your skills and experiences.

leopard
23rd December 2009, 03:25
Mark... I think your main problem you take problem of your job too personal, the companies usually recruit personnel who can work well under pressure, it may force you to spend more times or energy to accomplish the job, employee should have been aware of the consequence of a fault in a process within series of process is related each other...

Imagine in logging industry there is a step to transport the logs along the river, they are arranged in series so that a logjam can greatly disturb the whole process. You can search the problem by walking around the logs thoroughly, but the most effective and efficient method to identify the problem you should try to be at right place at some high so that the whole process is visible, find out the logjam and take action....

I think as long as you look at the matter from correct perspective, each problem is solvable, the other way if we stay in the wrong state of mind no place in this world perfectly pleasing to stay, a crisis could be a serious problem for someone but in the same time it is a challenge for the rest...

harvick#1
23rd December 2009, 03:44
damn sorry you had to take that Mark.

I think some of the companies now thanks to the recession have been putting fear in its employees that if you don't do what they want, they will get rid of you.

I hope you kind find something soon

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 04:34
I might be adding two and two together to get five but what about using your uni degree with your experience in trucking to step up the ladder and become a manager yourself? It may not be quite what you've dreamed for but its probably the most straight forward and productive path you can take with your skills and experiences.

Its a thought. I have a few options. I will take what Starter said after you with advisement tho. I have to say I like the atmosphere of warehousing and logisitics. It was one of the reasons I like the trucking industry, that is the informal atmosphere and not needing to worry about pretension. Getting the job done is a lot of it; and you have to be a times tactful, stern, and not be afraid of a little bad language. I can do all of those things but the only real issue I would have is the job in that sort of work around here can be poor, even for managers.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 04:37
Mark... I think your main problem you take problem of your job too personal, the companies usually recruit personnel who can work well under pressure, it may force you to spend more times or energy to accomplish the job, employee should have been aware of the consequence of a fault in a process within series of process is related each other...

Imagine in logging industry there is a step to transport the logs along the river, they are arranged in series so that a logjam can greatly disturb the whole process. You can search the problem by walking around the logs thoroughly, but the most effective and efficient method to identify the problem you should try to be at right place at some high so that the whole process is visible, find out the logjam and take action....

I think as long as you look at the matter from correct perspective, each problem is solvable, the other way if we stay in the wrong state of mind no place in this world perfectly pleasing to stay, a crisis could be a serious problem for someone but in the same time it is a challenge for the rest...

Leopard....I understand you are being an optimist and asking me to think through the process, and that there are often many solutions to a problem, but you cannot know and do know know is the efforts I had made with my employer doing just what you suggest. This confrontation didn't come without a lot of sleepless nights, and consternation. I was unhappy with the status of my life with this profession as I had to do it with this boss. I was often being forced to do things that I didn't feel were the right way to work. Trust me...I understand and really do appreciate what you are trying to say, but you were not there, and if you worked where I did when I did, I guarntee you that you would understand.

I have a few options of ideas to maybe make a living with besides driving a big rig, and I aim to at least look into them. I owe to my sanity to do so.

Easy Drifter
23rd December 2009, 06:29
As I expect you know Drive Test are looking to hire about a 100 new testers to deal with the back log, possibly taking a year to clear up. With your experience you could test both car and rig drivers so I would think you would have a good chance. You could continue to look around at the same time.
Mind you having to drive with some of the rookies might be terrifying.
I mean you have watched Canada's Worst Driver have you not?

leopard
23rd December 2009, 07:55
Leopard....I understand you are being an optimist and asking me to think through the process, and that there are often many solutions to a problem, but you cannot know and do know know is the efforts I had made with my employer doing just what you suggest. This confrontation didn't come without a lot of sleepless nights, and consternation. I was unhappy with the status of my life with this profession as I had to do it with this boss. I was often being forced to do things that I didn't feel were the right way to work. Trust me...I understand and really do appreciate what you are trying to say, but you were not there, and if you worked where I did when I did, I guarntee you that you would understand.

I have a few options of ideas to maybe make a living with besides driving a big rig, and I aim to at least look into them. I owe to my sanity to do so.

Sometimes I have some sleepless nights, but for different reason, if not for some noises, I will not do anything in the night if I go for too much sleeping... :)

You may need to take holiday relaxing mind, if not meditation..., just go singing.... or dancing... God might not like the last... :)

leopard
23rd December 2009, 08:15
I can't say that I would work on Christmas day in a job that I hated to be honest. Saying that, as far as I am aware no company in the UK can force an employee to work on this day. I think Christmas day, Boxing Day, Easter Sunday, and New years day are all national holiday's here. I'm sure an employer can ask but you have full rights to turn them down.. :)
Mind you, I am not prejudiced, if your company wants to pay you three times higher if you work on those holiday, I doubt you will turn down the offer... :)

Eki
23rd December 2009, 10:32
You know..people will just ask me where Osofa is....

They probably ask you where Oshawa is already, so not much new.

Easy Drifter
23rd December 2009, 11:42
Where they make Cameros, Eki. :)

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 13:59
Mind you, I am not prejudiced, if your company wants to pay you three times higher if you work on those holiday, I doubt you will turn down the offer... :) Not one sent more than the law required him to pay......

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 14:00
As I expect you know Drive Test are looking to hire about a 100 new testers to deal with the back log, possibly taking a year to clear up. With your experience you could test both car and rig drivers so I would think you would have a good chance. You could continue to look around at the same time.
Mind you having to drive with some of the rookies might be terrifying.
I mean you have watched Canada's Worst Driver have you not?

Oh yes...lol...both Drive test and teaching people to drive were also on my list to investigate.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 14:02
They probably ask you where Oshawa is already, so not much new.

Yes Eki, but I am proud of my hometown, and I don't mind explaining. Also, there is an inside joke in a sense. There was a Comedy troupe on the CBC called the "Royal Canadian Air Farce" who had a character "Mike.... From Canmore". My handle pays homage to THAT.

Firstgear
23rd December 2009, 18:04
Good choice Mark. Family comes first, and is alot harder to replace than a job.

Have you ever thought of getting into politics? You're good with words, and always seem to be up on current issues. You seem straight-forward and direct/honest which are admirable qualities. We need more politicians with those personality traits in our country.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2009, 18:27

Have you ever thought of getting into politics? You're good with words, and always seem to be up on current issues. You seem straight-forward and direct/honest which are admirable qualities. We need more politicians with those personality traits in our country.

I thought about politics, but to be elected costs money, and my ex wife would no doubt tell the press what a rotten jerk she thinks I am!!!

I am facinated by politics, but for me, the dream job would be on the research team putting together talking points and strategies to get a candidate elected and manage his direction. Most politicians of note in Canada and most countries may have core beliefs that steer their ship, but a lot of them also have under them people with the same political bent doing the research and putting out the policy that they can go forward with. I would be interested in that job I suppose, but my educational resume wouldn't be enough.....

23rd December 2009, 19:19

Totally agree.