PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 787 first flight webcast

SportscarBruce
15th December 2009, 14:10
For those interested in aviation technology or just curious frequent air travellers Boeing is going to host a webcast of the groundbreaking (abet long-delayed) 787 Dreamliner on their webpage. The first flight is scheduled for 17:40 GMT (9:40 AM PST)

Click on "webcast" bar above the photo
http://787firstflight.newairplane.com/ffindex.html

Daniel
15th December 2009, 14:29
For those interested in aviation technology or just curious frequent air travellers Boeing is going to host a webcast of the groundbreaking (abet long-delayed) 787 Dreamliner on their webpage. The first flight is scheduled for 17:40 GMT (9:40 AM PST)

Click on "webcast" bar above the photo
http://787firstflight.newairplane.com/ffindex.html
Cool :) I remember watching a 777-300ER come into Perth on a test flight, it stopped quite well considering they weren't using reverse thrust and the brakes were past it. They then took off in the morning I think with just one engine.

Sonic
15th December 2009, 14:33
Cool! IMO Boeing have done the right thing with this plane. The A380 whilst hugely impressive is just too big to be used at most airports so you end up having to get on a smaller plane to go to a regional airport anyway - and look Boeing have built just that.

edv
15th December 2009, 16:46
Thanks for the link.

The 787 will be the first airliner to finally feature a proper, humid environment inside the cabin, due to the use of composites rather than aluminum.

You can also follow the flight track here:
http://www.newairplane.com/dreamlinerfirstflight/widgets/flightmap.asp

Daniel
15th December 2009, 17:56
takeoff in a few minutes!

Dave B
15th December 2009, 18:00
Sky News are covering it in the UK.

I still think it's pretty funny that the Airbus 380 test engineer was called Fernando Alonso. Who have Boeing got? I hear Villeneuve's looking for a job :p

Dave B
15th December 2009, 18:07
The guy on CNN looks like it's the first time he's been allowed off the ward without his nurse :s

Daniel
15th December 2009, 18:58

I still think it's pretty funny that the Airbus 380 test engineer was called Fernando Alonso. Who have Boeing got? I hear Villeneuve's looking for a job :p

You're terrible :p

Was cool to watch it live like that :) I saw a low flying A380 a few months back and it was cool, but I do reckon the 787 is going to be a better seller than the A380 for the reasons everyone always mentions. I've always preferred Boeing's myself and the 787 looks to be a good'un

Stuartf12007
15th December 2009, 20:21
The A380 was Airbus answer to the 747.

The 787 will be followed by the equivalent Airbus version the A350, due in 3 - 5 years time.

Mark in Oshawa
15th December 2009, 21:09
Airbus is good, but Boeing are still the masters......this looks like a pretty impressive plane. I don't like coach seating but I blame the airlines for cramming us in there like sardines more than the manufacturers...

Roamy
16th December 2009, 01:22

JV has to go on the Bombadier he is not from USA.

The landing was absolutely perfect today as well.

Daniel
16th December 2009, 07:59
The landing was absolutely perfect today as well.

Cool :up: Didn't get the chance to see the landing but glad it went well.

Steve Boyd
16th December 2009, 16:43
The 787 will be the first airliner to finally feature a proper, humid environment inside the cabin, due to the use of composites rather than aluminum.

Please explain how on earth the use of composites rather than metal in the construction of an aircraft has any affect on the humidity in the cabin.

Daniel
16th December 2009, 16:45
Please explain how on earth the use of composites rather than metal in the construction of an aircraft has any affect on the humidity in the cabin.
A quick google suggests that the you can't have a humid environment with an aluminium airframe because of problems with corrosion.

Dave B
16th December 2009, 16:52
It's also being pressurised to a lower altitude, 6000ft instead of 8000 IIRC :up:

ChicagocrewIRL
16th December 2009, 16:58
A quick google suggests that the you can't have a humid environment with an aluminium airframe because of problems with corrosion.

Quite right. The carbon fiber composites don't expand and contract like aluminum and do not corrode due to humidity. The benefits are :

Pressurization of the cabin to lower atmospheres more comfortable to passengers.

Higher indoor humidity due to no corrosive effects of moisture on carbon composites

The use of larger windows due to the stiffness of the airframe.