PDA

View Full Version : Faked TV shows.

Hazell B
10th December 2009, 21:31
Agh!
One week they're moaned about some production staff pretending to buy things at auction (which doesn't alter the price, sale or in fact anything at all) and sacking staff, the next they are showing one cat being rescued by the RSPCA then another, very different cat, being rehomed. I'm sick of TV fakery that's pointless and complaints about perfectly fair trickery.

On, for example, Bargain Hunt I know about 90% of the auction action is fake. I know this because dealers don't want to be filmed buying items when their customers can see them. Who wants his customers knowing what he pays for stuff they buy? Or where he bought it? Nobody. I see dealers I know buying on TV often, but in general it's them being shown while in fact another dealer is really bidding, known to the crew and auctioneer of course ;)
In the end, it doesn't matter a jot to the shows' integrity.

However, what does annoy me is that on this morning's Animal 24/7 one cat was seen being rescued from a grotty house yet another was substituted when they showed it all happy and healthy again. The rescued cat's friend had feline AIDS and Leukemia, so my guess is the original cat was put to sleep and they didn't want to show a sad ending. Why not? Can't us Brits face a non-rosey world where cats die? Why fake the story? Either tell us the truth or film another rescue that did have a happy ending - don't just rename a totally different animal and claim the world's a lovely, fluffy bundle of joy full of happy kitties :mark:

I've emailed the BBC to ask why they invent things shown as factual and why they sack people who've not altered a show's truth at all. Bet they don't bother answering :p :

Tshbez
10th December 2009, 21:39
I thought the idea of the animal rescue type shows was to make them as upsetting as possible. I'm surprised the fakery isn't to make them look worse. That seems to be the "thing" with TV now, to show the unbridled cruelty and nastiness of the world.

Hazell B
10th December 2009, 21:51
Don't get me started on that can of worms!

Yesterday's show included some thin dogs. The claims of what their weight should have been were beyond reasonable. I agree they were thin and it was law breaking keeping them that way, but why claim they were "half" of the weight they should be when it was actually just 20-30% lower than they should be? One of the dogs was a twin to one of mine, so I know exactly what his weight should be - not the massive, fat 35 to 40 kilos they claimed on TV :mark:

leopard
11th December 2009, 03:41
If your point they use different cats on the film, I'd rather consider as long as they chose the closest appearance of them it doesn't matter, they can change it as much as they want if need be.

If the point the said player can't continue playing the role, they would better change the story as if the said person go abroad or anything else instead of using different person to replace the same role. imo

markabilly
11th December 2009, 04:04
If they BAN faked tv shows and the even faker reality shows, then that will eliminate 3/4th of SPEED TV.....then maybe they would show more racing....but it would probably be more nascrap....they don't even show that much Idiot Racing League anymore......

Lousada
11th December 2009, 11:10
TV is fake?? I'm shocked!

SportscarBruce
11th December 2009, 13:14
If they BAN faked tv shows and the even faker reality shows, then that will eliminate 3/4th of SPEED TV.....

:laugh:

Including Spinfunnel!

BDunnell
11th December 2009, 16:17
I've emailed the BBC to ask why they invent things shown as factual and why they sack people who've not altered a show's truth at all.

The latter including Andrew Gilligan's questioning of the '45 minutes' claim, naturally.

Easy Drifter
11th December 2009, 17:32
A point you made about the auctions (not fakery) is the dealers. The auctioneers usually know who the dealers are (and know them) and the good auctioneers know what each dealer specializes in. They keep a close eye on them when a certain type of item comes up.
Here many dealers are not store owners but buy and then sell to the antique stores. Others sell on E Bay.
The public, at least the few sharp ones, figure out who the pros are and know once they stop bidding the item has pretty well reached its true value.
One way to spot the pros is that they all know each other, at least to talk, so a sharp person can often spot them prior to the actual start of the auction.
There are some bargains if you are lucky. My ex was/is very knowledgeable on Cdn. stone Ginger Beer bottles and bottles in general. A few years ago she was at an auction a couple of 100 miles away where she wasn't known. There had been several bottles in the ad but no details. One in particular came up and there was only one other person there who knew bottles. She paid a $1,000 for it. The other person just ran out of money and he was a hobbyist not a pro.
It was a unknown to be in existance bottle and only the 3rd one ever. She sold shortly thereafter at a very handsome profit to a collector.
The auctioneer had no idea what he had and said he had never sold a bottle for over $250 before.
If he had known and advertised it he would have done better as dealers/collectors would have been there.

driveace
11th December 2009, 21:36
I can remember watching a "Challenge Annica rice " programme about them building a large prefabricated building in Ireland for some cause or other.The project as shown was built in something like 2 days,which was really immpressive.On the steelwork was the name "Fisher Engineering".SO next time I saw Bertie on a rally I said "Bertie your men are quick at building steelwork for big prefabricated buildings are they not"?,He said "Oh we had the drawings for that project 6 months before,and had it ALL built ready" with a laugh. Life is not always as it seems ,but it makes good television

Dave B
12th December 2009, 17:28
I heard a rumour that the people in Eastenders are merely actors, employed to pretend to talk bollocks.

I see that certain tabloids have been having another pop at Top Gear for "faking" the Norwich Airport sequence. The same tabloid, incidentally, that used an entirely fake photoshopped picture of Michael Jackson to demonstrate how fit he was looking prior to his death.