PDA

View Full Version : Teams plan for a single mass 2010 car launch nears approval

Giuseppe F1
10th December 2009, 11:41
Would this be a purely media event or would you think there would be some tickets on sale for general public? Id certainly buy some!:

=====

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80509

Teams plan joint launch in Valencia
By Jonathan Noble
Thursday, December 10th 2009, 11:01 GMT

Formula 1 teams are scheduled to put the finishing touches to plans for a common car launch of their 2010 contenders on Thursday, with outfits looking to unveil their machines in Valencia in late January......

.....It is understood that the event will take place in Valencia in late January, prior to the first official 2010 test at the Spanish city's nearby track a few days later......

.....Speaking about the matter on Thursday, Fry said: "I don't want to go into too much detail about what the plans actually are, but we have agreed between all the teams to do a joint launch and we do wish to turn it into a proper event....

I am evil Homer
10th December 2009, 11:58
Sounds like a great idea, each team presents its contender and drivers one after the other!

Powered by Cosworth
10th December 2009, 12:02
I dunno, I like the staggered launches, the buildup to each team adds alot of excitement over a length of time. I can imagine it's like having all your Christmases at once.

Sonic
10th December 2009, 12:30
I dunno, I like the staggered launches, the buildup to each team adds alot of excitement over a length of time. I can imagine it's like having all your Christmases at once.

Here, here! I love the pressure building as each new car gets the covers taken off. Plus we'd miss out on some truely classic moments; the Pacific '95 - couldn't get the champers open for an hour! McLaren '95 with Mansell saying the mid winged McLaren "was as fast as it looked" (right on neither count!) Jordan '99 - "number 1 banana".

ArrowsFA1
10th December 2009, 13:01
I like the idea :up:

Teams have spent small fortunes on new car launches in the past, and for what?

This way it becomes more of an F1 pre-season event which the media (hopefully the BBC in the UK) will cover. Individual teams still get their launch, and seeing all the 2010 cars in one place could be interesting, particularly the reactions of designers if one team comes up with an innovation they hadn't thought of :p :

truefan72
10th December 2009, 14:03
i think it is a great idea for fans, the media and particularly smaller teams.
the benefits far outweigh the loss of anticipation of staggerdd starts. Its a solid move for F1.

10th December 2009, 14:45
What a feckin awful idea.

Robinho
10th December 2009, 15:44
great idea i think

UltimateDanGTR
10th December 2009, 18:38
i think it is a great idea for fans, the media and particularly smaller teams.
the benefits far outweigh the loss of anticipation of staggerdd starts. Its a solid move for F1.

agreed. this also saves alot of money for the teams, instead of forking out loads for individual presentations, they share the cost. great idea all round!

ioan
10th December 2009, 19:17

Exactly!

ioan
10th December 2009, 19:18
I like the idea rather than a low key affair with a small mention in the paper. Oh btw Ferrari have launched their new car etc "...

You're reading the wrong papers. :p :

This type of event will gain maximum publicity and I'm sure Bernie is thinking about the ticket sales already.. :)

One more reason not to like the idea. :D

V12
10th December 2009, 19:29
It has it's pros and cons, by all means try it this year and see how well it's received, but I did used to like the gradual build up as car after car was released and took to the track, although if they can make a good event of it that gets covered by TV and so on, then great.

Either way I think the days of the old extravagant launches by the likes of McLaren in 1997, BAR in 1999, Jordan pretty much every year in their B&H days, are behind us. Williams were always famous for a low key launch even when they were winning everything - spending the money where it really mattered - on the car.

VkmSpouge
10th December 2009, 19:33
I think it is a good idea. It will make it into a real event and guarantee a lot more mainstream media coverage than 13 separate launches. Plus it will save the teams money which is a good thing.

Saint Devote
11th December 2009, 01:08
Here, here! I love the pressure building as each new car gets the covers taken off. Plus we'd miss out on some truely classic moments; the Pacific '95 - couldn't get the champers open for an hour! McLaren '95 with Mansell saying the mid winged McLaren "was as fast as it looked" (right on neither count!) Jordan '99 - "number 1 banana".

I support your view!

Valencia is collectivist crap :mad:

Sonic
11th December 2009, 09:45
Another thought has crossed my mind. There has long been a debate as to which route is bezt; get the boots on the ground in early Jan and iron out the kinks in testing, or, don't launch until feb with extra wind tunnel time etc.

Now my point is that the teams would have way back in may last year planned when their cars would hit the track and therefore which route they are taking with regards to the question above but now they are all going to present at the same time? What if the car is only 98% ready? Or worse what if like in Minardi days of old the car has its first run in march! What the hell is the point of a group launch if half the cars might as well not be there?

SGWilko
11th December 2009, 09:54
What a feckin awful idea.

I know, imagine - an innovative idea to save on overall transportation costs, while adding to the appeal of the F1 fan.

Tsk, ejots I tell you.....ejots.

Still, I want to see a car that is steam powered, the water being superheated by burning £50 notes and redundant w, sorry bankers.....

christophulus
11th December 2009, 09:59
If there is going to be a joint launch I expect we're going to have plenty of in-fighting up until then. Who goes first? How long does each team get?

It'd be great if all 13 teams lined their cars up and revealed them at the same time - as it happens I reckon we're going to get a boring, sanitised launch with drivers forcing sponsors names in every sentence.

555-04Q2
11th December 2009, 10:02
Unfortunately ioan unless you buy Autosport or an F1 magazine, Formula one bearly gets a mention in the British tabloids. Unless we have a champion that is, and then we get a whole page... :p :D

You guys must get more! I know footy dominates everything over there, but even we have several dedicated F1 shows, newspaper columns etc in South Africa.

SGWilko
11th December 2009, 10:02
If there is going to be a joint launch I expect we're going to have plenty of in-fighting up until then. Who goes first? How long does each team get?

It'd be great if all 13 teams lined their cars up and revealed them at the same time - as it happens I reckon we're going to get a boring, sanitised launch with drivers forcing sponsors names in every sentence.

Why in fighting? Who goes first is easy - structure it on either;

Car numbers/positions teams will have in pits for 2010

or

How teams finished in 2009.

A nice low key affair, where it is a relaxed atmosphere for journo's fans and teams alike.

None of your 'how to urinate money up the wall a la Jordan' malarkey....

Mark
11th December 2009, 12:18
Indeed, championship / number order would be the most sensible way. But I do quite like the idea of all the cars being under wraps, then there is a countdown and all the sheets are pulled off at the same time!

Sleeper
11th December 2009, 12:51
The one big problem I have with this is that its set for the end of January, and Lotus have already said that they wont have a car ready by then. So this mass launch could end up being a bit of a let down with some teams not actually having anything to launch.

SGWilko
11th December 2009, 13:00
The one big problem I have with this is that its set for the end of January, and Lotus have already said that they wont have a car ready by then. So this mass launch could end up being a bit of a let down with some teams not actually having anything to launch.

Might not be a definitive spec car, but I am sure they will have something to reveal and test. Given the limited testing these days, they need to do a 'Tesco' where every little helps. Or is that Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Asda....

Aikidoka
11th December 2009, 13:00
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

F1 needs to be more accessible to fans, particularly as at a GP we are fenced off from the cars and have little or no access to the drivers (unless you're willing to queue for a few hours just to meet the drivers).

I'd like to see this happen every year in a different country at a classic racing venue, with affordable ticket prices (£30/£40 general admission, the kind of price you could expect to pay for a rock concert) with the opportunity to get closer to the teams / drivers (of course, admission would need to be limited) but why not hold such an event on the infield at a circuit with sponsor tents (and merchandising opportunities of course!).

I'm thinking of a set-up similar to the F1 parties at Silverstone with a stage that the cars could be wheeled out on to, a compere to interview the drivers/managers/mechanic/tea ladies and generally a fun day out, with the costs being shared by the sponsors, media, venue and ticket sales.

The car launch days do not necessarily have to have a shake-down, so teams do not necessarily have to show the final car, those could be held separately (and away from the prying eyes of their competitors), but these events could simply be an opportunity to introduce the drivers/cars/liveries we will be following for the next season.

SGWilko
11th December 2009, 13:09
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

F1 needs to be more accessible to fans, particularly as at a GP we are fenced off from the cars and have little or no access to the drivers (unless you're willing to queue for a few hours just to meet the drivers).

I'd like to see this happen every year in a different country at a classic racing venue, with affordable ticket prices (£30/£40 general admission, the kind of price you could expect to pay for a rock concert) with the opportunity to get closer to the teams / drivers (of course, admission would need to be limited) but why not hold such an event on the infield at a circuit with sponsor tents (and merchandising opportunities of course!).

I'm thinking of a set-up similar to the F1 parties at Silverstone with a stage that the cars could be wheeled out on to, a compere to interview the drivers/managers/mechanic/tea ladies and generally a fun day out, with the costs being shared by the sponsors, media, venue and ticket sales.

The car launch days do not necessarily have to have a shake-down, so teams do not necessarily have to show the final car, those could be held separately (and away from the prying eyes of their competitors), but these events could simply be an opportunity to introduce the drivers/cars/liveries we will be following for the next season.

Why not have a launch in a different entrants country each year.

The event could be a mini Goodwood type effort, where the 'host' team showcases their past cars etc???

jens
11th December 2009, 20:55
I like the idea as well. With everyone having their own car launches, the winter period is spread a bit too much - with one common launch the new F1 season gets an unofficial start in a way. :) Secondly, with a common launch we can get a direct and thorough car appearance comparisons straightaway instead of guessing "this car looks like that with such design approach, but how would it look alongside others?"

Ari
12th December 2009, 02:30

Should not be too much hassle to have a shell with 4 wheels. Doesn't need to be a mechanically or aerodynamically perfect car. It's just for media really.

All in all.... I rather like the idea. Will save a few bucks and is another circus for F1. Gets them in the papers a little.

Were I Bernie, and I kinda hate to say it, I'd actually be looking to make it a REAL event and have it on primetime or cable. Have each car driver over a 2010 podium (if they're driving) or just pull the sheet off each. I think individually done is better as it would be difficult to have the media able to appropriately surround all of the teams at the same time.

Perhaps have 5 mins for each team counting UP to the 2009 Champion team. After that interviews with drives, team bosses and even mechanics. Give Bernie a 5 minute slot to tell us how wonderful it's going to be then cut a ribbon to the track for the first F1 car to drive in anger in 2010... a Brawn of course.

If it fails it fails but I like the idea and thing it's well worth a shot.

Ari
12th December 2009, 02:32
Wow... I don't think I could have spelt worse had I tried.

Giuseppe F1
18th December 2009, 18:26
Autosport now claim that this deal for a mass single car launch is falling apart and if a resolution cannot be found in the next few days, it wont happen:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80624

PSfan
22nd December 2009, 14:05
Looks like the mass launch is off:

F1: Plans For Common 2010 Launch Scrapped

the clinching problem was the fact that not all teams - notably the new ones Lotus, USF1, Virgin and Campos - would have had a 2010 car ready to launch.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-plans-for-common-2010-launch-scrapped/

I've always preferred the single car launches as it gave me multiple days to look forward to in January/February though I can see this happening next season though...

Mia 01
23rd December 2009, 09:28
Who cared?

wedge
23rd December 2009, 11:49

As I had thought too.

What a dumb idea. Even a latter date is pointless because of and media scrutiny when older cars had been tested already.

RS
23rd December 2009, 16:09
I'm pleased the mass launch has been cancelled. Now the interest is spread out a little bit for the fans and each team can have their day in the limelight. I think from that point of view the common launch was a bit of a false economy.