PDA

View Full Version : Dubai

Daniel
10th December 2009, 10:56
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

http://www.laurengreenfield.com/index.php?p=WC45SGS7 (view the slideshow and read the comments)

I think the friend who sent me this link said it best when he said that Dubai is a "c**t magnet"

This quote also says a lot about the people who seem to have flocked to Dubai

Later, in a hotel bar, I start chatting to a dyspeptic expat American who works in the cosmetics industry and is desperate to get away from these people. She says: "All the people who couldn't succeed in their own countries end up here, and suddenly they're rich and promoted way above their abilities and bragging about how great they are. I've never met so many incompetent people in such senior positions anywhere in the world." She adds: "It's absolutely racist. I had Filipino girls working for me doing the same job as a European girl, and she's paid a quarter of the wages. The people who do the real work are paid next to nothing, while these incompetent managers pay themselves £40,000 a month."

I have to say I look forward to the day when Dubai is just a rotting ghost-city in the desert.

ShiftingGears
10th December 2009, 13:16
I have to say I look forward to the day when Dubai is just a rotting ghost-city in the desert.

Just read the article - absolutely agreed. I knew it was horribly superficial but not nearly as incidious and disturbing.

anthonyvop
10th December 2009, 13:38
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

http://www.laurengreenfield.com/index.php?p=WC45SGS7 (view the slideshow and read the comments)

I think the friend who sent me this link said it best when he said that Dubai is a "c**t magnet"

This quote also says a lot about the people who seem to have flocked to Dubai

Jealousy is ugly!

Why should you care? If you don't like it don't go there.
I have an interest to go there just to see the incredible construction but other that that it doesn't interest me like many other places don't interest me. That doesn't make those places necessarily evil.

BTW Most of the "evidence" in the article is anecdotal.......hardly the stuff of good journalism. I can find somebody to b8tch and moan about anyplace on the planet.

Daniel
10th December 2009, 13:39
Just read the article - absolutely agreed. I knew it was horribly superficial but not nearly as incidious and disturbing.

If there's one thing that I think will define the noughties it's the superficiality that's just made everyone forget about things they actually need and think more about flashy cars, big houses, having a newer reg than everyone else on the street etc etc.

anthonyvop
10th December 2009, 13:48
If there's one thing that I think will define the noughties it's the superficiality that's just made everyone forget about things they actually need and think more about flashy cars, big houses, having a newer reg than everyone else on the street etc etc.
How is the weather up there on your pedestal?

Jealousy is ugly.

Daniel
10th December 2009, 13:56
Jealousy is ugly!

Why should you care? If you don't like it don't go there.
I have an interest to go there just to see the incredible construction but other that that it doesn't interest me like many other places don't interest me. That doesn't make those places necessarily evil.

BTW Most of the "evidence" in the article is anecdotal.......hardly the stuff of good journalism. I can find somebody to b8tch and moan about anyplace on the planet.

Tony, I'm not jealous, I'm really quite happy and content in my life and although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a bit more money to have a few extra bits and bobs, I am a happy camper.

I just think there's something inherently funny and a bit sad when people need to have status symbols to prove their worth to themselves and to others.

Dubai was built on debt and the sort of people who were attracted were the ones who just wanted a flashly lifestyle and weren't intelligent enough to see that there was no foundation for it and that you can't treat people like **** just because they're doing everyday tasks for you.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th December 2009, 14:11
I've always though it was a pretty vulgar place. I usually like modern architecture but all the buildings in Dubai just seem to be penis extensions for the architects.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 04:43
Tony...if you think Dubai is admirable for anything beyond its architecture, than you need to think a bit. The whole thing is built on debt, an economy that doens't follow any economic principle you or I would espouse, and the damned place is a dictatorship for anyone the regime don't have time for.

IT is interesting to look at, and like most Arab nations, a dictatorship when you scratch a mm below the surface. The ex-pat Westerners who love the place are fools and they are now finding out what a deal they did with the devil. The scary part is, compared to a lot of Middle East nations, this one is semi-liveable.....at least the religious persecution is more or less absent.