PDA

View Full Version : Danica Patrick's NASCAR Announcement

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:40
Figured I would post it here too since it is NASCAR..

Danica Patrick has just "formally" announced from GoDaddy's headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona that she has just signed a deal with Jr. Motorsports in the Nationwide Series for the 2010 season in the #7 car with a limited schedule.

February 6th, Danica will run in the ARCA race at Daytona. She will be testing an ARCA car at Daytona on December 18-20. Tony Eury, Jr. will be her crew chief.

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:59
Here is her Nationwide Series Car..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/dpcar.jpg

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 19:46
this confirms that Jr is one of the biggest morons in ownership, the guys in the shop are gonna be working alot of overtime from her, which I guess can't be a bad thing in todays economy.

don't expect her to be a top 20 runner this year DF , even in Hendrick equipment.

NickFalzone
8th December 2009, 20:06
Who would've thought a year ago, that Danica would be racing in Hendrick equipment, with Eury Jr. as her crew chief?!

Easy Drifter
8th December 2009, 22:37
Always remember too that there is no such thing as cheating in NAPCAR!
There is one heck of a lot of 'creative engineering' and wrong parts getting accidently put on cars. :D :eek:

Mark in Oshawa
8th December 2009, 23:21
this confirms that Jr is one of the biggest morons in ownership, the guys in the shop are gonna be working alot of overtime from her, which I guess can't be a bad thing in todays economy.

don't expect her to be a top 20 runner this year DF , even in Hendrick equipment.

Moron? No...Kelley Earnhardt-Elledge is SMART. The money and attention they will get from those 16 or 17 appearences will keep the doors open on JR Motorsports. They are hard up for sponsors and despite their affiliation with Hendrick, they want to run the operation with business principles.

Also, this was Kelley's deal, and being a woman, she obviously wants to help promote women in NASCAR. I suspect the powers that be in Daytona will help steer sponsors and promote this effort. Big time publicity, attention draws sponsors and money.

Only a dedicated Jr. hater would see this as a negative.

Oh ya...about her tearing up cars? I don't think so. I don't think much of Danica's talent, but one thing she isn't is one of those drivers that wrecks every race either. If you put Robby Gordon in the car, then you might have a point.....

For me...this is a smart deal for JR now....and I think Danica will do what she does in Indy car. Drive alright at times, run mid pack MAYBE based on the fact she will have good stuff under her and a good crew chief, and in the end, prove she is proficient and nothing more.

With Danica, the hype is always way ahead of the results. In modern racing tho, the hype means sponsors and money. No race team will walk away from THAT...

Sparky1329
9th December 2009, 05:44
Danica has never raced a stock car. That fact alone should make this interesting to watch. It took Montoya a while to catch on to it and Danica is no JP Montoya.

Lee Roy
9th December 2009, 13:23
NAPCAR!

It's "NASCAR". Use it here.

beachbum
11th December 2009, 12:39
With Danica, the hype is always way ahead of the results. In modern racing tho, the hype means sponsors and money. No race team will walk away from THAT...Mark, you have clearly hit the nail on the head. The marketing bump from this is too hard for a team to pass up, especially if a sponsor like GoDaddy is footing the bill and the team is struggling to find a sponsor for their primary car.

But this only works as long as the PR is positive. In the harsh world of the sports media, the media can turn very easily on bad news. Just look at how Tiger is being portrayed these days. If Danica disappoints, it won't take long for the NASCAR media to soundly trash her, and by association, GoDaddy and JR Motorsports. Just check out the videos on NASCAR.com by Kyle Petty (http://www.nascar.com/video/) and Joe Menzer. They are already suggesting that this is just a short lived PR stunt.

In defense of JR Motorsports, they have few options. Since they don't have a primary sponsor, their funding for survival has to come from somewhere. It appears Bob Parsons of GoDaddy is willing to fund whatever it takes to promote his investment, so that is a big funding bump for the team. That can only help both of their cars.

I do feel for Kelly Bires. He has worked very hard to get an opportunity to show his talent, only to have a driver with no stock car experience show up with bags of bucks and take away the points from the 88 car, making his job a lot harder. But somehow I suspect he will be around long after the Danica experiment has run its course. the more interesting question may be, what happens to the GoDaddy car (and any points it gets) when Danica isn't driving it?

NickFalzone
11th December 2009, 14:59
BB, I haven't really been following this that closely. But did Danica's 7 car take the points from the 88? In other words, the 7 car is now automatically qualified for the first 5 races?

jeffconn
11th December 2009, 16:49
FYI, here are the 20 Nationwide races that don't coincide with IRL race weekends:

Feb 13 Daytona
Feb 20 Fontana
Feb 27 Las Vegas
Mar 20 Bristol
Apr 3 Nashville
Apr 24 Talladega
May 7 Darlington
June 12 Kentucky
June 26 Loudon
July 9 Chicago
July 31 Iowa
Aug 14 Michigan
Sep 10 Richmond
Sep 25 Dover
Oct 9 Fontana
Oct 15 Charlotte
Oct 23 Gateway
Nov 6 Texas
Nov 13 Phoenix
Nov 20 Homestead

Also, the May 15th Dover race is on Indy 500 pole weekend, so i doubt she'll show for that one.

beachbum
11th December 2009, 22:15
BB, I haven't really been following this that closely. But did Danica's 7 car take the points from the 88? In other words, the 7 car is now automatically qualified for the first 5 races?That's the story. But then all of the press claimed the first race would be Daytona and now rumors are flying it won't be until Fontana. As Danica turns........

NickFalzone
12th December 2009, 02:43
That's the story. But then all of the press claimed the first race would be Daytona and now rumors are flying it won't be until Fontana. As Danica turns........

Yeah, Daytona in the Arca car, and Fontana in the Nationwide.

jeffconn
12th December 2009, 06:27
Yeah, Daytona in the Arca car, and Fontana in the Nationwide.
Why not both ARCA and Nationwide at Daytona? The races are on different weekends.

NickFalzone
12th December 2009, 13:43
Why not both ARCA and Nationwide at Daytona? The races are on different weekends.

Prob cause they don't want her starting/part of the big one. Fontana's a big track and probably safer for her to get around.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 05:51
Prob cause they don't want her starting/part of the big one. Fontana's a big track and probably safer for her to get around.

I am going to say the whole point of Danica in a stock car is to get the max exposure. You dont' get that in ARCA, you get that in NASCAR. She is running ARCA so she can test in a car very simliar to a Nationwide car. She will run ARCA to get a taste of Daytona, but if you watched last season's debacle with ARCA at Daytona, the big one happens there with some of their guys moreso than in a NASCAR race with the Nationwide guys.

I do know this much tho. Many NASCAR media people who were dumping on the idea a month ago of Danica coming to NASCAR are now holding out the pompoms. IT is pretty nauseating...

Danica has progressed to the point where she is a half decent mid pack driver in Indycar. She isn't going to win a championship or maybe even another race there but she is not a menace out there. Her attitude I think has been adjusted a little. That said, Sam Hornish was 5 times the driver in the IRL and he is struggling still. JPM was world class, and has but one NASCAR win. Allmendinger is just starting to round into something and he was better than most of the IRL drivers in OW. The transistion isn't easy, and some never get it. I hold out a faint hope Danica will adapt,but being part time and trying to do this to me just sounds like a publicity stunt almost.......

beachbum
13th December 2009, 11:35
I am going to say the whole point of Danica in a stock car is to get the max exposure. ..........

........being part time and trying to do this to me just sounds like a publicity stunt almost.......That is almost exactly what Kyle Petty had to say - on the NASCAR.com site. Maybe not everyone is shaking pom poms.

This is a high profile PR gamble. If she does well, it will be huge. If she flops, it will also be huge, but not in a positive sense. Apparently even Andretti thinks it will be a short experiment.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 14:32
That is almost exactly what Kyle Petty had to say - on the NASCAR.com site. Maybe not everyone is shaking pom poms.

This is a high profile PR gamble. If she does well, it will be huge. If she flops, it will also be huge, but not in a positive sense. Apparently even Andretti thinks it will be a short experiment.

Andretti knows she will struggle. Heck, Tony Stewart did initially, and he is a much more accomplished talent than Danica.

Kyle is honest but to hear Mike Bagley 2 months ago on Sirius NASCAR Radio and hear him this week, you would think he got a memo from Daytona Beach to not let the great unwashed bash the princess.....

NickFalzone
14th December 2009, 03:14
Actually, I don't think it's a publicity stunt. I think Danica legitimately believes she will be a fulltime CUP driver one day, and a reasonably successful one at that. Crazy.

Easy Drifter
14th December 2009, 03:43
Danica's car will be unique. It will be the only one with a chrome horn on the REAR bumper.

The instant classic
14th December 2009, 04:48

i was thinking the same, more seat time for her the better, but on the other hand maybe it's better if she doesn't, being a superspeedway plate race and first time jummping into a stock car with other cars around her, maybe no the best track to race both, to bad she didnt start on a short track, i hate seeing, rookie drivers first time at daytona plate racing, :s

Sparky1329
14th December 2009, 05:16
Actually, I don't think it's a publicity stunt. I think Danica legitimately believes she will be a fulltime CUP driver one day, and a reasonably successful one at that. Crazy.

If she truly believes that she's in for a rude awakening. She'll have the benefit of top notch equipment but she'll still have a long row to hoe.

Jag_Warrior
14th December 2009, 17:02
By the end of next season, I think we should take a poll to see what was funnier: Danica's 2010 NASCAR/ARCA debut or Lucy & Ethel at the chocolate factory.

yx1rx_dDVF4

I think it's going to go down to the wire and I cannot wait!!! :cheese:

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 00:44
If she truly believes that she's in for a rude awakening. She'll have the benefit of top notch equipment but she'll still have a long row to hoe.

A week has gone by and the number of people saying she will do ok is growing. I am not sure whether they are all drinking the same Kool Aid, or if Danica hasn't paid people or maybe she has enough talent that she has impressed someone. I am not the basher I used to be, but I still don't see her doing well in NASCAR. I think the optimism is misplaced. I think she has reached a level in the IRL that might merit her not being a fad but that doesn't justify all the happy thoughts of her winning her ARCA debut and other delusions.

Sparky1329
16th December 2009, 05:51
A week has gone by and the number of people saying she will do ok is growing. I am not sure whether they are all drinking the same Kool Aid, or if Danica hasn't paid people or maybe she has enough talent that she has impressed someone. I am not the basher I used to be, but I still don't see her doing well in NASCAR. I think the optimism is misplaced. I think she has reached a level in the IRL that might merit her not being a fad but that doesn't justify all the happy thoughts of her winning her ARCA debut and other delusions.

I also think their optimism is misplaced for a few reasons. The only yardstick I have to work with is the performance of the open wheel drivers who've already come to NASCAR. The only two who are left are Allmendinger and Montoya. It has taken them both quite a while to learn how to race a stock car with any level of success. I also have to refer to comments made by Montoya about it being more difficult than one would think.

Although she'll be a novelty in NASCAR Danica is a mediocre open wheel driver. I don't see her being any more than a mediocre stock car driver. We'll see.

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 06:28
I also think their optimism is misplaced for a few reasons. The only yardstick I have to work with is the performance of the open wheel drivers who've already come to NASCAR. The only two who are left are Allmendinger and Montoya. It has taken them both quite a while to learn how to race a stock car with any level of success. I also have to refer to comments made by Montoya about it being more difficult than one would think.

Although she'll be a novelty in NASCAR Danica is a mediocre open wheel driver. I don't see her being any more than a mediocre stock car driver. We'll see.

Well the mediocre driver got 5th in IRL points this year, so I am very wary of going out on that limb as far as I would have a year ago. Make no mistake, she isn't going to win races IMO, but she may just hang around.

Also, you missed the best comparsion and that is Sam Hornish. Sam won lots of IRL races, won the Indy 500 and is an oval guy. He never was a road course driver so he didn't have to adapt an oval mentality. 3 years on, he still will struggle on some weekends. We both know Danica cant run with him in the IRL even if they were on the same team. BUT you just never know.

Jimmie Johnson sucked in the Busch series when he was there. He was ok at times but always struggling. yet he jumped into Cup and has never been lower than 5th in the points. JJ was an offroad racer for crying out loud.....so you just can never be too sure on how anyone from outside of stock racing will do when they get to NASCAR. You can guess, but if you based your prediction on JJ's peformance on what Robby Gordon or PJ Jones did (guys with offroad experience) you would be looking really dumb woudln't ya?

beachbum
16th December 2009, 12:33
Well the mediocre driver got 5th in IRL points this year, so I am very wary of going out on that limb as far as I would have a year ago. Make no mistake, she isn't going to win races IMO, but she may just hang around.

Also, you missed the best comparsion and that is Sam Hornish. Sam won lots of IRL races, won the Indy 500 and is an oval guy. He never was a road course driver so he didn't have to adapt an oval mentality. 3 years on, he still will struggle on some weekends. We both know Danica cant run with him in the IRL even if they were on the same team. BUT you just never know.

Jimmie Johnson sucked in the Busch series when he was there. He was ok at times but always struggling. yet he jumped into Cup and has never been lower than 5th in the points. JJ was an offroad racer for crying out loud.....so you just can never be too sure on how anyone from outside of stock racing will do when they get to NASCAR. You can guess, but if you based your prediction on JJ's peformance on what Robby Gordon or PJ Jones did (guys with offroad experience) you would be looking really dumb woudln't ya?Many drivers have mentioned an interesting key to success in NASCAR. It also somewhat explains why some drivers struggle. When Franchitti went to NASCAR, the first thing he mentioned was how loose the cars had to be run to be quick. He stated it was his hardest adjustment. If you look at the top 13 in Sprint Cup, all (with a possible exception of Gordon) seem to like running loose. Kyle Busch seems to like very loose, and he dominates in Nationwide.

Junior has admitted he doesn't particularly like a loose car, and he doesn't seem comfortable with the new setups. Back in the day when the cars didn't run so loose, he was a man to beat, particularly in the then Busch series. A couple open wheel drivers have transitioned well, such as Montoya, Allmendinger, and even Sam. All of them had a reputation of being able to run an open wheel car pretty loose. Scott Speed hasn't done that great, but when he was in F1, he suggested one of the reasons he didn't do well was because the cars he was given didn't have good rear grip. A pattern?

When Dario was at AGR, Danica often ran his setups. She has often stated she likes a "planted" back end and she has often complained about a loose car. Michael to his credit has apparently run her car much looser this year, which may explain why she is often fast when running alone. But will she be able to transition to a big heavy car with little downforce set up very loose?

IHMO, Danica is a "throttle" jockey, not a racer. She can hold the throttle down and hang on as well as almost anyone. She does have natural speed. But when the racing requires planning, such as hitting braking markers, setting up lines and alternative lines, placing the car in a draft, or setting up a pass, she doesn't do nearly as well. She is fast, but often doesn't race well. IHMO, she may be able to run fast for qualifying, but probably won't run well in traffic. This could be a very short career move.

On a related note, she apparently tested at Disney World last Friday. The only mention was a single picture on Junior's facebook page. Maybe I am projecting too much into this, but why so quiet about the results? If the test went well, you would think there would be some PR about it. The Danica brand has never been shy about tooting her horn at every opportunity.

Sparky1329
16th December 2009, 15:48

Jimmie Johnson sucked in the Busch series when he was there. He was ok at times but always struggling. yet he jumped into Cup and has never been lower than 5th in the points. JJ was an offroad racer for crying out loud.....so you just can never be too sure on how anyone from outside of stock racing will do when they get to NASCAR. You can guess, but if you based your prediction on JJ's peformance on what Robby Gordon or PJ Jones did (guys with offroad experience) you would be looking really dumb woudln't ya?

Ooops. I did forget Hornish. He finished 28th in points.

You're right about Jimmie in the Busch series. He still sucks in the Busch series races he enters. But he was still driving a stock car. He wasn't much of an off-road racer either.

methanolHuffer
16th December 2009, 17:12
It's "NASCAR". Use it here.

I - as an open wheel fan first - will never, ever denigrate stock car racing as I have in the past. Years have passed since I used to come on the nascar board and ruffle feathers of Stan's and the lady moderator/mom (can't place her user name).

Last Friday I learned how hard those cars can be. And the power is nothing to sneeze at. I got the opportunity to drive The Black Lady (Darlington) in a Buck Baker Racing School car. It was for only 25 (split up) laps and I have very good strength and stamina - I was beat.

These cars are pretty much de-tuned to prevent a catastrophe. But I have a whole new opinion of the racing. I've raced karts, and spec ford awhile back. They were demanding, but not this brutal.

If Danica can beat me arm wrestling and then through me down and pin me WWF style - I'll say she might have a chance. But she's in for a big big workout.

PS I didn't get too close to the wall (no stripes :) )

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 20:14
I - as an open wheel fan first - will never, ever denigrate stock car racing as I have in the past. Years have passed since I used to come on the nascar board and ruffle feathers of Stan's and the lady moderator/mom (can't place her user name).

Last Friday I learned how hard those cars can be. And the power is nothing to sneeze at. I got the opportunity to drive The Black Lady (Darlington) in a Buck Baker Racing School car. It was for only 25 (split up) laps and I have very good strength and stamina - I was beat.

These cars are pretty much de-tuned to prevent a catastrophe. But I have a whole new opinion of the racing. I've raced karts, and spec ford awhile back. They were demanding, but not this brutal.

If Danica can beat me arm wrestling and then through me down and pin me WWF style - I'll say she might have a chance. But she's in for a big big workout.

PS I didn't get too close to the wall (no stripes :) )

Congrats to you for trying. The only thing I can say I have been around racing for a lot of years and grew up around road racing, but I never would denigrate any other form of racing because I realized very quickly that whether you turn left a lot in a big heavy car, or drive a nimble quick car around a road course, the effort, the principles and ideas are the same. I am envious of you to run the old lady in Black tho..THAT is something....wow....

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 20:18
Many drivers have mentioned an interesting key to success in NASCAR. It also somewhat explains why some drivers struggle. When Franchitti went to NASCAR, the first thing he mentioned was how loose the cars had to be run to be quick. He stated it was his hardest adjustment. If you look at the top 13 in Sprint Cup, all (with a possible exception of Gordon) seem to like running loose. Kyle Busch seems to like very loose, and he dominates in Nationwide.

Junior has admitted he doesn't particularly like a loose car, and he doesn't seem comfortable with the new setups. Back in the day when the cars didn't run so loose, he was a man to beat, particularly in the then Busch series. A couple open wheel drivers have transitioned well, such as Montoya, Allmendinger, and even Sam. All of them had a reputation of being able to run an open wheel car pretty loose. Scott Speed hasn't done that great, but when he was in F1, he suggested one of the reasons he didn't do well was because the cars he was given didn't have good rear grip. A pattern?

When Dario was at AGR, Danica often ran his setups. She has often stated she likes a "planted" back end and she has often complained about a loose car. Michael to his credit has apparently run her car much looser this year, which may explain why she is often fast when running alone. But will she be able to transition to a big heavy car with little downforce set up very loose?

IHMO, Danica is a "throttle" jockey, not a racer. She can hold the throttle down and hang on as well as almost anyone. She does have natural speed. But when the racing requires planning, such as hitting braking markers, setting up lines and alternative lines, placing the car in a draft, or setting up a pass, she doesn't do nearly as well. She is fast, but often doesn't race well. IHMO, she may be able to run fast for qualifying, but probably won't run well in traffic. This could be a very short career move.

On a related note, she apparently tested at Disney World last Friday. The only mention was a single picture on Junior's facebook page. Maybe I am projecting too much into this, but why so quiet about the results? If the test went well, you would think there would be some PR about it. The Danica brand has never been shy about tooting her horn at every opportunity.

Your thoughts on Danica are similar to mine. I think in certain situations she always has been fast. She isn't however very knowledgable I suspect of the engineering side. That by itself isn't a big deal in the IRL, but it will be just another part of what she needs to learn in NASCAR.

I don't think her desire for a snug car will help her if she makes Cup, but the Nationwide cars have more downforce and less power, so out of the three top NASCAR series, I suspect it is the best place for her.

As for her people sliding that first test under the radar, there is no point to making an issue out of a test at a track that isn't used for actual racing. We have no benchmark really to compare her times to, and I think it was more of a get acquainted session. The ARCA test will be where the media spotlight will be turned on full. ARCA isn't the big time, but they will feel big time when this circus hits...

The instant classic
18th December 2009, 01:10
By the end of next season, I think we should take a poll to see what was funnier: Danica's 2010 NASCAR/ARCA debut or Lucy & Ethel at the chocolate factory.

yx1rx_dDVF4

I think it's going to go down to the wire and I cannot wait!!! :cheese:

LMFAO :D