PDA

View Full Version : Danica to announce NASCAR plans today

MDS
8th December 2009, 13:30
Look for an announcement around noon EST today of a part time deal with Junior Motorsports in a Go Daddy #7 on GoDaddy.com

Per Jayski

Danica Patrick will announce on Tuesday in Phoenix her decision to drive a part-time Nationwide Series schedule for JR Motorsports in 2010. ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/news/story?id=4622687) reported last month that Patrick was in the final stages of negotiations with JRM to compete in about a dozen races in a #7 -- her number in IndyCar -- Chevy with GoDaddy.com as the sponsor. The source said that has not changed. The GoDaddy.com sponsorship will be only for the races in which Patrick drives, sources said. JRM continues to look for sponsors for the #88 that will be driven by Kelly Bires and any remaining races for the second car. When Patrick announced her three-year extension with Andretti Autosport last week in New York a picture appeared on her Web site with her in a NASCAR fire suit bearing a JRM and other NASCAR-related logos. It quickly was removed [see the image - click here (http://jayski.com/teams/drivers.htm#patrick)]. The plan is to enter Patrick in the ARCA Series opener in February at Daytona International Speedway and get her approved by NASCAR for the Nationwide [Daytona] race. ARCA owner Bobby Gerhart recently was contacted about putting Patrick in one of his cars for a Dec. 18-20 test at Daytona. He told ESPN.com on Monday he expected her to be in a car prepared by JR Motorsports at the test. "My gut feeling is I think she'll drive something out of Mooresville, N.C.,'' he said, referring to the location of JR. "That's what I'm hearing. It'll be that powerful of a program that that's the way it would go if that happens.'

champcarray
8th December 2009, 16:54
FYI, the pending announcement was mentioned at the end of ESPN Sports Center this morning.

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:23
Danica Patrick has just "formally" announced from GoDaddy's headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona that she has just signed a deal with Jr. Motorsports in the Nationwide Series for the 2010 season in the #7 car with a limited schedule.

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:26
Danica's first NASCAR race will be February 6th in the ARCA series at Daytona.

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:32
She will be testing at Daytona in an ARCA car on December 18th-20th.

MDS
8th December 2009, 18:33
No real info so far. A partial schedule in the Nationwide series, mostly before and after the ICS schedule but no details.Tony Eury Jr will be her crew chief

Not the best choreographed announcement if I'm honest.

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:33
Tony Eury Jr. will be her crew chief.

SarahFan
8th December 2009, 18:34
and you started another thread.....why?

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:36
and you started another thread.....why?

It was quick and to the point and it is live as it is happening. ;)

SportscarBruce
8th December 2009, 18:39
Being this is a NASCAR topic and she's not leaving IndyCar should this and threads like it be in the NASCAR forum?

Jag_Warrior
8th December 2009, 18:44
Made my day! Woot!!!

http://www.gadgetadvisor.com/hammerfall/images/smilies/giant_smiley.gif

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:45
Im glad she is keeping the number 7 !! :)

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 18:54
Here is her Nationwide Series Car..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/dpcar.jpg

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 19:05
And a picture of her now infamous racing suit..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/dpnationwide.jpg

NickFalzone
8th December 2009, 19:07
Made my day! Woot!!!

http://www.gadgetadvisor.com/hammerfall/images/smilies/giant_smiley.gif

I believe NASCAR_Warrior is now soon to arrive?

SarahFan
8th December 2009, 19:46
It was quick and to the point and it is live as it is happening. ;)

and yet you ignored the thread already on the subject....why?

SarahFan
8th December 2009, 19:47
Being this is a NASCAR topic and she's not leaving IndyCar should this and threads like it be in the NASCAR forum?

how about if we just give her and chad there own forum

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 19:48
and yet you ignored the thread already on the subject....why?

because everything danica says is breaking news :p :

Jag_Warrior
8th December 2009, 19:54
I believe NASCAR_Warrior is now soon to arrive?

Actually, NASCAR_Warrior might be fun for awhile. But with the conditions I laid down on that wager, I don't think Danica is up to the task. I'll lower the bar (like, lay it on the ground) and see if I can make that happen. :D

NickFalzone
8th December 2009, 20:08
how about if we just give her and chad there own forum

:up:

Hoop-98
8th December 2009, 20:26
I'm predicting a Pole in her ARCA debut....

but then...

I could get a pole in ARCA restrictor racing with a hendricks car ....

Hoop

Alexamateo
8th December 2009, 20:35

Hey! Erin Crocker sat on the Pole at Daytona! :D :p : :s mokin:

Phoenixent
8th December 2009, 20:44
I predict that Danica will get the pole at Daytona and then be involved in The Big One and finish 23rd.... :D

Scheckterfan54
8th December 2009, 20:56
Here is her Nationwide Series Car..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/dpcar.jpg

I wish there was a big IZOD IndyCar Series on Versus logo somewhere, that might be a good investment to try to get some crossover viewers.

NickFalzone
8th December 2009, 21:09
I'm looking forward to Kyle Busch complaining about Danica after every race.

Rollo
8th December 2009, 21:21
Did she steal Cole Trickle's City Chevrolet and put a big 7 on the door instead of 46?

SarahFan
8th December 2009, 21:27
Did she steal Cole Trickle's City Chevrolet and put a big 7 on the door instead of 46?

^^now that is good comedy

DanicaFan
8th December 2009, 21:56
Laugh all you want but expect to see her nice lime green/black car in both series on the podium next year.

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 22:08

but then...

I could get a pole in ARCA restrictor racing with a hendricks car ....

Hoop

anyone could get a pole in a restrictor plate race, its 99.9% car, 0.1% driver in those situations at Daytona and Talladega

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 22:09
Laugh all you want but expect to see her nice lime green/black car in both series on the podium next year.

Podiums only count for road racing, or atleast thats how traditionalists do it.

SarahFan
8th December 2009, 22:15
Question for the class as i don't follow NASCAR....

Arca is to cup as ______ is too the ICS?

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 22:16
go karts :p :

Easy Drifter
8th December 2009, 22:29
ARCA is a step below Nationwide or about #3. Probably on par with the trucks but in taxicabs like Nationwide and Sprint.
I sure hope they have her radio on when she starts whining about something to Tony Eury! :D
The response probably will consist of two or 3 words and 10 bleeps. :vader:

nigelred5
8th December 2009, 23:24
Danica's first STOCK CAR race will be February 6th in the ARCA series at Daytona.

There, fixed it. We don't know when her first NASCAR race will be that I've seen.

Make no mistake, ARCA is not NASCAR. Totally different sanctioning body.

anthonyvop
8th December 2009, 23:27
Does anyone else realize that this is BAD FOR INDY CAR?????

beachgirl
8th December 2009, 23:38
No real info so far. A partial schedule in the Nationwide series, mostly before and after the ICS schedule but no details.Tony Eury Jr will be her crew chief

Not the best choreographed announcement if I'm honest.

Go-Daddy did the announcement. What do you expect? Class and taste?

nigelred5
8th December 2009, 23:41
Uh, Yeah.

Driving a Hendrick Car in ARCA is like having a McLaren MP4-25 in GP2. ARCA teams tend to have better funding than the NASCAR regional series, and they do compete on the super speedways, which the NASCAR regional series don't do.

beachgirl
8th December 2009, 23:42

Come on - you're a nice guy. But pleeassseeee. I know you're a fan, but how about coming back to the real world?

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 23:42
Does anyone else realize that this is BAD FOR INDY CAR?????

why, after this year, she'll be so bad that she'll be full time in the IRL, much like Dario :p :

Oli_M
8th December 2009, 23:46
I'm looking forward to Kyle Busch complaining about Danica after every race.

Kyle generally only complains about people racing him for the lead..... So why would he be mentioning her :P :D ?

The ARCA race will be interesting - but tell us practically nothing (remember Logano last year).

Do Hendrick already have cars/teams in ARCA? Or will this be a whole new (one off?) setup just to get her restrictor plate practise?

nigelred5
8th December 2009, 23:53
Go-Daddy did the announcement. What do you expect? Class and taste?

Less clothing, more Skin! ;)

The instant classic
9th December 2009, 00:17
Less clothing, more Skin! ;)

makes me smile :andrea:

Hoop-98
9th December 2009, 01:44
anyone could get a pole in a restrictor plate race, its 99.9% car, 0.1% driver in those situations at Daytona and Talladega

Gee, I never thought of that, guess that's why Kevin did so well.....

KEVIN!!!!!! (it is Christmas movie time)

Hoop

garyshell
9th December 2009, 01:50
I know it's fun to lean on Danica, but this is the IRL board and all of you are talking about a NASCAR series. Perhaps you should take it to the NASCAR board?

That ought to be a lot of fun!

Gary

NickFalzone
9th December 2009, 02:12
Kyle generally only complains about people racing him for the lead..... So why would he be mentioning her :P :D ?

The ARCA race will be interesting - but tell us practically nothing (remember Logano last year).

Do Hendrick already have cars/teams in ARCA? Or will this be a whole new (one off?) setup just to get her restrictor plate practise?

You must not watch IndyCar very often. Obviously it will not be for the lead, it will be when he's trying to lap her. Many of the top IRL drivers have complained that she makes it very difficult to lap even when she's a much slower car. There's a lot of give and take in NASCAR and the way she drives in IndyCar won't be much appreciated.

As far as the Nationwide races, NASCAR.com had it listed yesterday that her first race will be in Nwide at Daytona on Feb 18th (or whatever that date is). However since it wasn't mentioned today, I believe that she may or may not do that, depending on how the test this month goes, and how she does in the Arca race. They'll probably field the 88 one way or another for Daytona, and if they don't feel she's ready they'll have another driver in it.

harvick#1
9th December 2009, 02:32
Gee, I never thought of that, guess that's why Kevin did so well.....

KEVIN!!!!!! (it is Christmas movie time)

Hoop

some teams work on fastest car by themselves, and some work on the car to be the best in a pack of cars (which is what plate racing is) RCR works on the car in the draft, they have done this since 2004. back in 2001-03 they were always starting up front at plate tracks

Harvick won the Daytona 500 starting 36th or close to it.

Plate racing is where you can go from 20th to 1st and 1st to 20th in 5 laps.

Qualifying means jack at Daytona and Talladega

Mark in Oshawa
9th December 2009, 03:21
I commented on the NASCAR board about this.

That said, I am a little on VOP's line of thinking. Giving NASCAR the biggest name in the IRL (for reasons I haven't agreed with or like) isn't doing the IRL any good. Especially if she doesn't do much...which I fully expect.

Unlike DF, Iam fully aware of what it takes with the amount of NASCAR I watch and follow, and if Sam Hornish can struggle there, Danica is going to struggle there....

TURN3
9th December 2009, 03:30
Peeps, I don't see how this is bad for Indycar at all. She will fall flat on her face which is slightly worse than falling at least on her a$$ so far in her Indy career. The side show has worn thin the past couple of years and I see this as the biggest step toward the end of her career. Once she fails miserably in this endeavor, there won't continue to be ways of covering up reality...she stinks! The sooner she drops off the face of big league racing the better for the sport so we can get back to what racing is really about...talent, speed, excitement, etc. You know, all the things she doesn't have.

NickFalzone
9th December 2009, 03:49
Well in the short term, I think this is good for IndyCar, because Danicamania in the IRL has slowed down a lot in the last year or two. If anything, I felt like she was just a relatively well known driver, like Helio. But I think all this regular news about "indycar driver Danica Patrick" gets the series name out there a lot and may get a few new fans here and there. In the long term, yeah it might hurt the series. But even on that, I think IndyCar needs to stand on its own without a non-winning driver that gets a lot of needless attention.

anthonyvop
9th December 2009, 04:03
why, after this year, she'll be so bad that she'll be full time in the IRL, much like Dario :p :

In the entertainment business(And pro racing is the entertainment business) Perception is Reality.

The perception is Danica Patrick is MOVING UP to Nascar.

Now if she fails in NASCAR the perception is that Indy Car's biggest name driver isn't GOOD ENOUGH to compete in NASCAR.

It is a Lose/Lose situation.

The only salvation for Indy Car(And a limited one at that) is if she totally dominates in NASCAR.................And nobody believes that will happen.

Mark in Oshawa
9th December 2009, 04:25
In the entertainment business(And pro racing is the entertainment business) Perception is Reality.

The perception is Danica Patrick is MOVING UP to Nascar.

Now if she fails in NASCAR the perception is that Indy Car's biggest name driver isn't GOOD ENOUGH to compete in NASCAR.

It is a Lose/Lose situation.

The only salvation for Indy Car(And a limited one at that) is if she totally dominates in NASCAR.................And nobody believes that will happen.

Iam with you on this one..and I have full belief she will be life and death to not bomb in the first year.

Phoenixent
9th December 2009, 04:54
If this is going to hurt the IRL because she is going to NASCAR. What would happen to the IRL if she slipped in the bath tub and broke her neck? Would that be the end of the IRL because she is not in the series?

I think that when all is placed on the hopes of one driver that is okay at best in the series then there are bigger issues than Danica going to NASCAR. If that is the case then the IRL will change for the better once she is gone and others fill in the space.

Easy Drifter
9th December 2009, 05:25
Hendrick builds very good restrictor plate cars.
Daytona usually has more than full field of entries in ARCA and Nationwide.
Her first problem is going to be even qualifying.
She has never driven a taxicab and there is not much test time available.
She has never driven the full Daytona oval.
Based on her performance in sports cars she does not seem to adapt to different cars quickly.
She may make the races but if any of those 'good ol boys' even think she is blocking them they will play rough. And they sure know how to use the chrome horn! :eek:

NickFalzone
9th December 2009, 05:36
Hendrick builds very good restrictor plate cars.
Daytona usually has more than full field of entries in ARCA and Nationwide.
Her first problem is going to be even qualifying.
She has never driven a taxicab and there is not much test time available.
She has never driven the full Daytona oval.
Based on her performance in sports cars she does not seem to adapt to different cars quickly.
She may make the races but if any of those 'good ol boys' even think she is blocking them they will play rough. And they sure know how to use the chrome horn! :eek:

I disagree, at least in the short term they will be careful because they don't want to be "that guy" that put the lady into the wall. However, that honeymoon period won't last very long.

As far as qualifying, doesn't she at least on the Nationwide side have top-35 points from the 88 to automatically get in?

harvick#1
9th December 2009, 06:24
I disagree, at least in the short term they will be careful because they don't want to be "that guy" that put the lady into the wall. However, that honeymoon period won't last very long.

Briscoe was "that guy" at Indy 2 years ago and did that affect his driving ability at all, not at all.

She may run ok in the ARCA race, but the nationwide race, especially Daytona will have 25 + Cup drivers in the field and they will not be patient with her blocking and changing of lines

also what people need to remember, this is NOT the first female to be racing in Nascar, Erin Crocker and Shawna Robinson both raced this decade in Nascar

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 08:12

^ that statement describes everything wrong with racing today (especially NASCAR). It is no longer a venue of human and engineering competition supported by marketing that happens to be entertaining due to tangible qualities. No, it is now a televised reality marketing exercise disguised as engineering competition intended to cast the widest possible net of consumers. The Dumbing Down of Racing

beachgirl
9th December 2009, 12:00
As far as qualifying, doesn't she at least on the Nationwide side have top-35 points from the 88 to automatically get in?

She would have to be driving the 88 in order to use the 88's points to get a guaranteed spot, IIRC. Since she's not, she'll have to get in on qualifying. I might watch just to see that. If she gets that far. She has to run the ARCA race first, and then be approved to run in the Nationwide race since it's Daytona.

DanicaFan
9th December 2009, 12:19
Danica will have no problem qualifying for every race. She can drive!

beachbum
9th December 2009, 12:25
Danica will have no problem qualifying for every race. She can drive!I am glad to see you haven't lost your enthusiasm - or grasp of reality. ;)

nigelred5
9th December 2009, 12:51

ARCA's rules are fairly open and embrace older NASCAR equipment. Motors are essentially the same as NASCAR, actually a little more open, but pretty much any Nationwide or pre-COT Cup car is eligible in ARCA with some relatively minor differences in the spoilers that are allowed. Kinda like showing up at the local saturday night sprints with a WOO car.

anthonyvop
9th December 2009, 14:45
^ that statement describes everything wrong with racing today (especially NASCAR). It is no longer a venue of human and engineering competition supported by marketing that happens to be entertaining due to tangible qualities. No, it is now a televised reality marketing exercise disguised as engineering competition intended to cast the widest possible net of consumers. The Dumbing Down of Racing

You didn't get the memo?

Professional Racing has always been a form of the entertainment business since the first race.
The "venue of human and engineering competition" is just part of the entertainment value.

Always has....always will be.

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 14:50
You didn't get the memo?

Professional Racing has always been a form of the entertainment business since the first race.
The "venue of human and engineering competition" is just part of the entertainment value.

I don't get my history lessons from entertainment industry memos.

garyshell
9th December 2009, 18:49
You didn't get the memo?

Abso-freakin-loutely. The very day they opened the gates to a paying public it became an entertainment business. Any other intrepretation is a tad short sighted.

Gary

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 20:07
Abso-freakin-loutely. The very day they opened the gates to a paying public it became an entertainment business. Any other intrepretation is a tad short sighted.

Gary

The day they turned over control to television is the day it became a farce. For instance, anyone who thinks cars are slower now than today due to safety or insurance reasons has bought into a lie. They're slower so you can read the freakin' sponsor logos. Witness what happened at Talladega, a car flying into the fence in almost the exact same fashion as Bobby Allison over 20 years prior at least 20 mph slower. Did anyone hear a cry for a review and revision of car specifications?

The spectre of commonality that began in the mid-90's postdates the appearance of professional motor racing by about 70 years.

The day sports marketing people began running the show is the day real motorsport began to die.

TURN3
9th December 2009, 20:42
Danica will have no problem qualifying for every race. She can drive!

Last year I made some comments questioning this guy's mental capacity and it created a fire storm...uhhhhhh?????

Anyway, I'm wondering if DFan has ever heard of guys named Dario Franchitti, AJ Almendinger, etc.? If this 2 bit loser can't hang with their abilities in an Indycar, how the bleep can a sane and mentally stable person suggest that she can out-perform them in a different form of racing? Granted, their issues of getting up to speed were with lesser teams at the Cup level so I suspect she'll have every reason to succeed where they didn't...but it is obvious she won't. This will be the beginning of the end of her career.

anthonyvop
9th December 2009, 20:54
The day sports marketing people began running the show is the day real motorsport began to die.
Then motorsports died for you on day 1.

Go ahead and name me any professional motorsports event in the entire history of motorsports and I will tell you why it was put on.

The answer will be: To make money!

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 21:04
You go first starting with flying cars at Talladega.

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 21:08
Go ahead and name me any professional motorsports event in the entire history of motorsports and I will tell you why it was put on.

I can tell you why they started racing cars: to sell cars. Something that racing is failing badly at lately.

harvick#1
9th December 2009, 21:08
Then motorsports died for you on day 1.

The answer will be: To make money!

24 hours of LeMans, was really one of the first true motor races
that would be a stepping stone to automobiles today ;)

every sport and event wants to make money

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 21:13

Motor racing was started in France, as a direct result of the enthusiasm with which the French public embraced the motor car.[1] Manufacturers were enthusiastic due to the possibility of using motor racing as a shop window for their cars.[1] The first motor race took place on July 22, 1894 and was organised by Le Petit Journal, a Parisian newspaper. It was run over the eighty mile (128 km) distance between Paris and Rouen. The race was won by Albert de Dion, although he was not awarded the prize for first place as his car required a stoker and the judges deemed this outside of their objectives.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_motor_racing

anthonyvop
9th December 2009, 22:46
Motor racing was started in France, as a direct result of the enthusiasm with which the French public embraced the motor car.[1] Manufacturers were enthusiastic due to the possibility of using motor racing as a shop window for their cars.[1] The first motor race took place on July 22, 1894 and was organised by Le Petit Journal, a Parisian newspaper. It was run over the eighty mile (128 km) distance between Paris and Rouen. The race was won by Albert de Dion, although he was not awarded the prize for first place as his car required a stoker and the judges deemed this outside of their objectives.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_motor_racing

Ok. So I am right.

SportscarBruce
9th December 2009, 23:45
Ok. So I am right.

No, you are wrong. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday is D E A D.

No one started racing to fatten up the wallets of Madison Ave.

anthonyvop
10th December 2009, 01:43
No, you are wrong. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday is D E A D.

[1] Manufacturers were enthusiastic due to the possibility of using motor racing as a shop window for their cars.[1]

No one started racing to fatten up the wallets of Madison Ave.

[1] The first motor race took place on July 22, 1894 and was organised by Le Petit Journal, a Parisian newspaper.

Do you even read what you post?
The first race was organized to SELL NEWSPAPERS.
Since that first race every professional race was organized for somebody to make money.
Whether it is the track, promoters, drivers, teams, manufacturers or sponsors the goal was the same.
Always has been...Always will be.

Gluaistean
10th December 2009, 02:53
Who gives a flying *uck what she she does.

Lets all start a Sarah fan or a thread. There you have a person who has been prepared to ride in the worst type of machinery to race. Now she is starting to get some justified attention.

As far as Milka Duno, there has been a gradual improvement and despite the attempts by ABC and it seems Versus to keep Citgo (Oh, my god) off the screen, she is still brining a sponsor to a series that seems intent with it's TV partners to ignore her and have the likes of Robin Miller and many on theses forums denigrate her.

harvick#1
10th December 2009, 03:24
Lets all start a Sarah fan or a thread. There you have a person who has been prepared to ride in the worst type of machinery to race. Now she is starting to get some justified attention.

:up:

Sarah is a true Indycar racer, she is doing all she can racing for her dream and is excluding the "sex sells" scheme that only Danica runs. I do feel that if Sarah was in the same equipment as Danica, she could be running up in the front also

NickFalzone
10th December 2009, 03:36
Disagree, I'd say they're both about equal talents. Both best on ovals, and all around very average drivers. This is not to take away from either one, just my perception of their abilities. And if anything, Danica is probably a little bit better in same equipment on the road courses.

DanicaFan
10th December 2009, 05:07
What does all this stuff have to do with Danica's announcement? :confused:

chuck34
10th December 2009, 12:38
As far as Milka Duno, there has been a gradual improvement and despite the attempts by ABC and it seems Versus to keep Citgo (Oh, my god) off the screen, she is still brining a sponsor to a series that seems intent with it's TV partners to ignore her and have the likes of Robin Miller and many on theses forums denigrate her.

The reason Citgo keeps comming back is because Milka wants to drive an Indy Car. And Milka is married to a high up (CFO I heard) with the company. So I'll leave it to you to figure out why Citgo keeps sponsoring a car that never gets any TV time.

And she IS that bad. Just watch her. Talk to crews, engineers, co-drivers, and other drivers. She really IS that bad. She's great with the fans though. So that's good.

SarahFan
10th December 2009, 17:20
Disagree, I'd say they're both about equal talents. Both best on ovals, and all around very average drivers. This is not to take away from either one, just my perception of their abilities. And if anything, Danica is probably a little bit better in same equipment on the road courses.

I agree 100%.....yet me respect for sarah far exceeeds what i have for danica...

why is that?

harvick#1
10th December 2009, 17:33
I agree 100%.....yet me respect for sarah far exceeeds what i have for danica...

why is that?

how many can we list :D

Phoenixent
10th December 2009, 17:55
Absolutely nothing. Which makes this a pretty typical thread around here. ;)

But, he's right. Back on topic please.

Hey Starter

This thread should be merged with the other one on the same topic. DF started this one instead of expanding upon the first one. Just a thought.

SarahFan
10th December 2009, 18:50
threads are always going to ebb and flow and eventually get off-topic...such is the nature of discussion

MDS
11th December 2009, 22:38
More from Jayski:

Danica's first Nationwide race at Fontana? After Danica Patrick announced she would supplement her IndyCar Series career by racing in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, informed sources said she will make her NASCAR debut at Auto Club Speedway in February. According to sources who requested anonymity as they are not authorized to officially speak on the matter, Patrick will race for JR Motorsports at the Feb. 20 Nationwide Staters Bros. 300 at the Fontana track. Her full Nationwide schedule is expected to be released in a news conference next week. "We have not heard anything," said David Talley, director of communications for the speedway. "I know our race fits into the window of racing before and after the IndyCar Series. If Patrick does race stock cars at Auto Club Speedway, it will mark her second appearance on the 2-mile speedway. In her rookie IndyCar season in 2005, she finished 18th in the Toyota Indy 400 after qualifying fourth.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 07:08

It has been that for a lot of years...just it is more obvious now. Sponsors pay for the technology and new tricks.....so they call the shot on occasion.

Mark in Oshawa
13th December 2009, 07:22
The day they turned over control to television is the day it became a farce. For instance, anyone who thinks cars are slower now than today due to safety or insurance reasons has bought into a lie. They're slower so you can read the freakin' sponsor logos. Witness what happened at Talladega, a car flying into the fence in almost the exact same fashion as Bobby Allison over 20 years prior at least 20 mph slower. Did anyone hear a cry for a review and revision of car specifications? .

They can see the logos just fine on TV at 230 at Indy. No....insurance IS the reason. You think NASCAR stays in business if a 3400 lb car with all that shrapnel from the fence goes into the stands? I MEAN INTO FULL STANDS? Damn right they slowed them down....They put plates on the cars then...and they are still tinkering with the cars. It may not be why the IRL is slower than CART, but I bet it is a factor.

The spectre of commonality that began in the mid-90's postdates the appearance of professional motor racing by about 70 years..
Racing was for entertainment. People may race and do love it, but professional racing relied on the gate, and later sponsors to pay the bills. Whether it was for the purses, or the budgets as racing became more technical, someone else helps pay the freight. When sponsors came along, it allowed the technology to leap foward. Roger Penske didn't become Rich by blowing all his dough on racing.

Real motorsport still exists, just it is more professionally run...

SportscarBruce
14th December 2009, 23:39
It has been that for a lot of years...just it is more obvious now. Sponsors pay for the technology and new tricks.....so they call the shot on occasion.

hahaha

Exactly what "technology and new tricks" is sponsorship paying for today that doesn't involve marketing?

SportscarBruce
14th December 2009, 23:42
They can see the logos just fine on TV at 230 at Indy. No....insurance IS the reason. You think NASCAR stays in business if a 3400 lb car with all that shrapnel from the fence goes into the stands? I MEAN INTO FULL STANDS? Damn right they slowed them down....They put plates on the cars then...and they are still tinkering with the cars. It may not be why the IRL is slower than CART, but I bet it is a factor.

You totally ignored my point, thus is the way of the apologist.

Real motorsport still exists, just it is more professionally run...

Not motorsport. Entertainment. i.e. pro wrestling

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 00:25
You totally ignored my point, thus is the way of the apologist.

Not motorsport. Entertainment. i.e. pro wrestling

Didn't make an apology at all. As for your point, it is your opinion, but ask any insurance man what costs would be incurred if a race car at 230 plus flew into the stands at a track....then figure out why they are skittish about the prospect.

You think racing is purely there for the advertisers. No..it is there because people like to race, but the money that pays of it is the sponsors. THey wont shell out if they cant get a return, but last time I looked, it wasn't the sponsors telling race organziations cars were too fast to be read. Safety is the reason. One only has to look at the NHRA to understand that. No one complains about the cars doing 300mph, but they know now that most strips are too dangerous to tolerate any speed beyond that...

MDS
20th December 2009, 14:47
Danica was testing at Daytona in an ARCA she was 12 of 26 cars, but b/c of rain the test was only 35 minutes or so. There are two full days of testing the Saturday and Sunday after Christmas (WTH?) and then I think another full day or two before ARCA qualifying.

Also, apparently Jr Motorsports is leaving the question of whether or not Danica runs Daytona up to Danica and how comfortable she feels doing it.

beachgirl
20th December 2009, 17:12
Danica was testing at Daytona in an ARCA she was 12 of 26 cars, but b/c of rain the test was only 35 minutes or so. There are two full days of testing the Saturday and Sunday after Christmas (WTH?) and then I think another full day or two before ARCA qualifying.

Also, apparently Jr Motorsports is leaving the question of whether or not Danica runs Daytona up to Danica and how comfortable she feels doing it.

The ARCA testing was Friday, 12/18, Sat. 12/19, and Sunday 12/20 (today), not the Saturday and Sunday after Christmas.

Hoop-98
20th December 2009, 17:39
Some info ...

http://timing1.arcaracing.com/

http://www.arcaracing.com/

I think Danica is on the scanner when live...

rh

Hoop-98
20th December 2009, 20:04
Actually she sounds pretty cool on the radio.

rh

SoCalPVguy
21st December 2009, 05:44
Milka Duno was faster in tests than the Princess with smaller team and inferior equipment... role reversal.

Hoop-98
21st December 2009, 07:05
Milka Duno was faster in tests than the Princess with smaller team and inferior equipment... role reversal.

No biggie but your post is incorrect...When all were done DP was way ahead..

champcarray
21st December 2009, 17:40
From an article on the ARCA site:

While Danica Patrick's participation in this weekend's ARCA test is garnering plenty of national attention, there are nine other women drivers in attendance for the three-day test.

The list of women drivers includes:

- Daytona Beach native and Atlantic High School graduate Alli Owens driving the No. 15 Venturini Motorsports Chevrolet
- Leilani Munter driving a Dodge for Mark Gibson Racing
- IndyCar Series driver Milka Duno, a native of Venezuela, testing the No. 90 Braun Racing Toyota
- Jennifer Jo Cobb in the No. 21 Bowsher Racing Ford
- Michelle Theriault, Jill George and Ashley Parlett are all testing Fords for Fast Track Racing
- Amber and Angela Cope, twin nieces of 1990 Daytona 500 champion Derrike Cope who are shaking down Dodges for Rick Markle Racing.

"They are 10 girls out here now so it's just not me anymore," said Owens, who sat on the outside pole for the 2009 Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200. "There are a lot of us out here. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do compared to us. I know we have really good equipment. It will be nice to see them up there on the board. It's a really good sign for the sport. I try not to get caught up in the female aspect of it. To me when they put their helmet on, they are nine other drivers out there to beat."

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2009, 17:45

Even tho you are wrong, it is meaningless. Driving Daytona in practice and by yourself is something WE could do. When the race starts, would you feel safer with Milka or Danica in the draft? I think we all know that answer.....

harvick#1
21st December 2009, 17:47
No biggie but your post is incorrect...When all were done DP was way ahead..

you can never judge plate practices.

you don't know how those times were affected, we've all seen Hamlin lock with another car and pull a .5-1 second lap faster than the entire field, by her time, she was in a draft just like everyone else, we'll see how they all fare when there is an actual race.

Plus Danica is in TOP equipment in Hendrick cars, everyone is mainly underfunded in terms of Hendrick

Hoop-98
22nd December 2009, 01:50
you can never judge plate practices.

you don't know how those times were affected, we've all seen Hamlin lock with another car and pull a .5-1 second lap faster than the entire field, by her time, she was in a draft just like everyone else, we'll see how they all fare when there is an actual race.

Plus Danica is in TOP equipment in Hendrick cars, everyone is mainly underfunded in terms of Hendrick

It was interesting listening to her coach and her. She was pretty cool and collected. Tried bump drafting, side drafting, she did drop the f bomb when the throttle stuck.

Of course the times don't matter much, it was all the learning she was doing I found interesting. They weren't trying to back up and get a run to set a fast speed, they were working on technique.

Now as far as driving, Darlington on 30 lap tires is the test...

IMHO

rh

garyshell
22nd December 2009, 05:53
Driving Daytona in practice and by yourself is something WE could do.

Mark I understand your point, but having actually ridden in a stock car on those high banks, at one of the "Richard Petty Driving Experience" sessions, I can say I am not so sure if WE could or not. I am sure there are a few folks here who are up to the task, but MAN that five lap session sure gave me a different appreciation of what it REALLY takes to muscle those beasts around there at only about 170 MPH that day.

Gary