PDA

View Full Version : Sauber are in

ArrowsFA1
3rd December 2009, 16:44
Sauber has been granted the final slot on the Formula 1 grid, the FIA has announced, bringing to an end months of uncertainty about the future of the team...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80429

Quite right too :up:

I am evil Homer
3rd December 2009, 16:45
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great news...the FIA does the right thing - and lets be honest here with the FIA that's never guaranteed :D

gloomyDAY
3rd December 2009, 16:46
Beat me to it!

Glad to see another Ferrari powered team on the grid.

pettersolberg29
3rd December 2009, 16:47
Great, great news for F1 and its fans.

Dave B
3rd December 2009, 16:48
Good news, I'm very happy for Peter Sauber and his employees. Let's hope he can pick up where BMW left off.

DexDexter
3rd December 2009, 16:50
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80429

Quite right too :up:

Great news, the team has been a class-act since day one with Wendlinger and Lehto.

RS
3rd December 2009, 16:59
Great news to see another strong independent on the grid.

UltimateDanGTR
3rd December 2009, 17:02
damn you Arrows FA1! I just saw this revelation and was about to announce it, but you beat me to it by 15 minutes!! :D

fantastic news, sauber deserve their place. as much as i liked BMW, i cant help but think that the 'return' of the original sauber is a good thing for F1.

2010 just keeps getting tastier and tastier.....

Cooper_S
3rd December 2009, 17:08
I am pleased for Sauber and the team, the BMW tie up gave them a taste of the success that previously had eluded them, hopefully they can a least match the achievements of BMW.Sauber.

I hope this also means Nick keeps his drive for next season.

K-Pu
3rd December 2009, 17:49
Yes! Agreement all around! Unbelieveable! :D

pino
3rd December 2009, 18:08
Excellent news :up:

truefan72
3rd December 2009, 18:11
one piece of good news :up:

JasonD
3rd December 2009, 18:21
13 Seasons with 6 podiums (all 3rd place) under the Sauber banner, what an impressive readditon to the grid. :rolleyes:

VkmSpouge
3rd December 2009, 18:39
Very good news indeed! I quite liked how Sauber managed to stay almost completely average every single season.

Donney
3rd December 2009, 18:49
Good news and a great addition to F1, hopefully they'll have some good luck and stay for veeeery long.

V12
3rd December 2009, 19:15
Great news! I was worried the FIA would manage to make a hash of this whole situation somehow but glad logic and common sense have prevailed here. Now if either Renault stay or the Prodrive thing happens, that should make a fairly strong 26 car grid with only USF1 the real question marks at this stage.

gloomyDAY
3rd December 2009, 19:23
13 Seasons with 6 podiums (all 3rd place) under the Sauber banner, what an impressive readditon to the grid. :rolleyes: I was waiting for the hater. :p

David Lowndes
3rd December 2009, 20:14
I'm glad Sauber are back.

I always thought that the teams should remain the same and the engine makers can come and go.

I hope Peter Sauber's team can finally get their first win next season.

jonny hurlock
3rd December 2009, 20:20
justice

JasonD
3rd December 2009, 22:04
I was waiting for the hater. :p

Not a hater, just being realistic. While its great the grid will be full, the excitement for the resurgence of a mid-field team (AT BEST) is kinda funny.

Josti
3rd December 2009, 22:32
Not a hater, just being realistic. While its great the grid will be full, the excitement for the resurgence of a mid-field team (AT BEST) is kinda funny.

But now they can continue on the fundement BMW has left, which could be an advantage. Other than that, Peter Sauber has rich F1 experience, in my eyes a plus too. I expect a capable point scoring-often podium car for next year.

Roamy
3rd December 2009, 23:35
congrats to truilli and midfield!!

thank you peter

V12
4th December 2009, 00:22

Better a midfield team than no team at all...unless you buy into Bernie's "quality over quantity" BS, a mantra he strangely seems to have dropped in the past 12 months or so...

Besides, it's not like Sauber are/were ever a Andrea Moda or Life is it? That's like a football fan saying there's no point of most of the teams in the Premier League being there since they're never going to win, let's just have a four team league of Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, that'd be fun wouldn't it...

Saint Devote
4th December 2009, 00:51
Happy at this news.

Sauber although not in f1 for as long - his team is the real deal for all those who love motor racing - he was in racing with his team including those iconic BASF Sauber endurance cars.

And while he has not had as much success, he is as worthy to be included as the Tyrrell team under Ken would have been today.

Sauber always gave new drivers with potential a chance, such as Frentzen and Massa. They may be mid-grid at best but in f1 thats nothing to scoff at.

ArrowsFA1
4th December 2009, 08:36
Great news! I was worried the FIA would manage to make a hash of this whole situation somehow but glad logic and common sense have prevailed here.
I sensed a change in tone at the FIA reading this: "The FIA has worked closely with the Commercial Rights Holder and the teams involved over recent weeks and is grateful for their support in achieving the best outcome for the sport." New broom and all that!

milly
4th December 2009, 09:53
I still have worries about money though - Sauber is now reported to be out looking for investors and finance.

I'm concerned that he doesn't actually have the money to run the team, and BMW's support and leverage on sponsors is gone.....

Sonic
4th December 2009, 10:46
Well now thats a universal problem and one Peter Sauber is well used to dealing with.

Valve Bounce
4th December 2009, 11:24
I still remember Peter Sauber "rushing" Kimi into F1. He had to do some very fast footwork to get Kimi his Superlicence. He chose well. :)

Wouldn't it be great to see Nick Heidfeld and Kimi driving for him next year. :up:

turismo6
4th December 2009, 11:37
With all 13 spots full will Toyota still be bound by the concorde agreement to put forward a team? Will they have to pay the $150m fine? or will Stefan Grand Prix succeed in being the 14th team?

On another note, 100 days to Sakhir.

I am evil Homer
4th December 2009, 12:09
I reckon Toyota will have to pay something but nothing near $150m..what are the FIA going to do ban them from F1? Doubt Toyota would care.

On Sauber...he brokered the Petronas deal so I'm sure he'll find sponsors...certainly easier when you know you're on the grid for next year.

woody2goody
4th December 2009, 12:32
damn you Arrows FA1! I just saw this revelation and was about to announce it, but you beat me to it by 15 minutes!! :D

fantastic news, sauber deserve their place. as much as i liked BMW, i cant help but think that the 'return' of the original sauber is a good thing for F1.

2010 just keeps getting tastier and tastier.....

:up:

F1boat
4th December 2009, 12:47
Good news!

veeten
4th December 2009, 12:55
With all 13 spots full will Toyota still be bound by the concorde agreement to put forward a team? Will they have to pay the $150m fine? or will Stefan Grand Prix succeed in being the 14th team?

On another note, 100 days to Sakhir.

It is, after all, Toyota's spot that Sauber is taking on, since they are leaving F1 and won't be putting forth a car, drivers, or team for '10.

It's not only the right thing to do, but the smart thing, as it insures a full grid of teams along with the new entries. The business with Renault is all that remains.

wedge
4th December 2009, 13:43
Sauber always gave new drivers with potential a chance, such as Frentzen and Massa. They may be mid-grid at best but in f1 thats nothing to scoff at.

Only because of strings attached.

Had Sauber continued with Ferrari and not sold out to BMW, we wouldn't have seen the travesty of Luca Badoer returning to racing.

Mark
4th December 2009, 13:54
Brilliant stuff. Sauber is just the sort of team F1 needs. It was fitting that even in the BMW days, the Sauber name remained and will still remain next season :up:

harsha
4th December 2009, 14:35
Brilliant stuff. Sauber is just the sort of team F1 needs. It was fitting that even in the BMW days, the Sauber name remained and will still remain next season :up:

yeah :up:

nigelred5
4th December 2009, 14:48
I suppose we're likely to see a return of the Sauber Petronas branded team then.

Sleeper
4th December 2009, 14:51
I still have worries about money though - Sauber is now reported to be out looking for investors and finance.

I'm concerned that he doesn't actually have the money to run the team, and BMW's support and leverage on sponsors is gone.....

From what I've read he has a lot of funding from Petranos for next year. His searching for a new invester is because he doesnt want to be the team boss anymore, he took over the team again because he doesnt want to see it gone either.

Robinho
4th December 2009, 20:30
I still remember Peter Sauber "rushing" Kimi into F1. He had to do some very fast footwork to get Kimi his Superlicence. He chose well. :)

Wouldn't it be great to see Nick Heidfeld and Kimi driving for him next year. :up:

and when he lost Kimi, he rushed in a new replacement, one Felipe Massa - who although a bit of a liability (St Devote would have denied him a superlicence and had him put in the stocks to be made an example of) turned out pretty good too.

RS
4th December 2009, 20:37
Will Sauber get BMWs TV money for next year or??

Roamy
6th December 2009, 03:13
No - they just give him re-runs of heidfield :)

V12
6th December 2009, 05:09
will Toyota still be bound by the concorde agreement to put forward a team? Will they have to pay the $150m fine?

*I'd like to think* that common sense prevailed and the FIA said "right, Toyota want out, Sauber want in, we still have 13 teams, let's give Sauber Toyota's entry and say no more about it" - In reality, who knows....

leopard
10th December 2009, 02:49
*I'd like to think* that common sense prevailed and the FIA said "right, Toyota want out, Sauber want in, we still have 13 teams, let's give Sauber Toyota's entry and say no more about it" - In reality, who knows....
more than likely...