PDA

View Full Version : Sports Personality of the Year

Brown, Jon Brow
1st December 2009, 10:47
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2009/11/strong_line_up_for_sports_pers.html

2009 has been a great year for British sport and year is the line up for Sport Personality of the Year

Jenson Button - Motor Racing
Mark Cavendish - Cycling
Tom Daley - Diving
Jessica Ennis - Athletics
Ryan Giggs - Football
David Haye - Boxing
Phillips Idowu - Athletics
Andy Murray - Tennis
Andrew Strauss - Cricket
Beth Tweddle - Gymnastics

My top British sporting moments this year were:

* Jenson winning in Australia
* Haye thumping the Russian bear
* Strauss (mostly Flintoff) giving the Aussies a good hiding
* Ryan Giggs underlining that he is one the greatest players of all time by scoring his 100th Premiser League goal last weekend.

Mark
1st December 2009, 11:42
I think Button will get it this year.
Hamilton was unlucky that his championship win was in an Olympic year, otherwise he would have won it last year.

Mark
1st December 2009, 11:43
This is the placeholder post for the standard joke so it doesn't have to be repeated yet again, lets get it out of the way now

None of those actually have any personality.. ho ho ho.

Ok, done :mark:

MrJan
1st December 2009, 12:13
David Haye is in with a good shout.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st December 2009, 12:35
Why did the title get changed from Sperts Posronality? :(

MrJan
1st December 2009, 12:51
Beacuase you can't speel? :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
1st December 2009, 13:57
Beacuase you can't speel? :p :

It's an infamous Alan Partridge quote! (when it's spelled wrong but right :p )

wedge
1st December 2009, 14:21
For me its between Giggs - thee role model of a professional footballer and despite lacking pace on the wing he's still at the top of his game at 36 years of age

And David Haye re-ignited the top boxing division with his pre-fight gamesmanship/promotion nous and beating the big man with classy boxing skills.

Button only deserves a top 3 because of his "Monaco, baby!". Overated all year....

Hazell B
1st December 2009, 21:50
Jessica Ennis for me. I just love her :up:

Mark in Oshawa
3rd December 2009, 05:37
I am going to say Andy Murray. Lots of class, very stiff upper lip, never gives up. Of course...half those people I have never heard of.

MrJan
3rd December 2009, 08:19
I am going to say Andy Murray. Lots of class, very stiff upper lip, never gives up. Of course...half those people I have never heard of.

Trouble is that he's a c**t ;) :p :

Mark
14th December 2009, 09:02
For the second year in a row the current Formula 1 World Champion gets second place in Sports Personality. With Ryan Giggs being crowned the winner.

AndyRAC
14th December 2009, 09:12
A complete joke. What has he done THIS YEAR to warrant the award. He probably merits a lifetime award, but the main prize.....??

As for the Overseas award, what has Rossi got to do to win it? A right carve up, Tennis, Golf or Athletics always seem to get that award.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th December 2009, 12:52
Well i'm pleased for Ryan Giggs, but I think team of the year should have been BrawnGP .

As for the overseas award I think Usain Bolts achievements out weigh Rossi's.

Hazell B
14th December 2009, 20:12
Hasn't Bolt won it before, though?

I'd've liked to see Rossi given a nod this time.

MrJan
14th December 2009, 20:28
Yeah Bolt won it last year but I still think that he deserves it. There will always be questions about bikes being equal and the quality of other riders but Bolt's acheivment is unquestionable, no one has ever run a faster 100m than him. That's not down to his competitors or his equipment, he's just plainly better than anyone who has gone before him.

Ryan Giggs deserved an award as well and with the overseas going to Seve I think it's fair enough that Giggs got the overall thing. Afterall there are few footballers who are universally accepted regardless of who they play for.

Schurke
15th December 2009, 10:25
Strange one. The title of the award is, "Sports Personality".
From what Iīve seen on the TV from most of them, they donīt have much of a "personality".
A true sports personality that I can think of in current times would be Rossi.

If they changed it to best sporting achievement 2009, then I could agree with Giggs.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th December 2009, 11:07
This is the placeholder post for the standard joke so it doesn't have to be repeated yet again, lets get it out of the way now

None of those actually have any personality.. ho ho ho.

Ok, done :mark:

Strange one. The title of the award is, "Sports Personality".
From what Iīve seen on the TV from most of them, they donīt have much of a "personality".
A true sports personality that I can think of in current times would be Rossi.

If they changed it to best sporting achievement 2009, then I could agree with Giggs.

*tumbleweed*

Schurke
15th December 2009, 12:14
sorry, didnīt read all the posts in the thread.

wedge
15th December 2009, 13:15
A complete joke. What has he done THIS YEAR to warrant the award. He probably merits a lifetime award, but the main prize.....??

As for the Overseas award, what has Rossi got to do to win it? A right carve up, Tennis, Golf or Athletics always seem to get that award.

Goes to show how a minor a sport MotoGP is in the public consciousness

Mark
15th December 2009, 13:50
At least F1 is getting a look in now. The BBC tends to concentrate just on the sports it has the coverage rights to.

Brown, Jon Brow
15th December 2009, 13:57
But back in 1994 we had an F1 winner of SPOTY who was a loser in F1

AndyRAC
15th December 2009, 15:21
Goes to show how a minor a sport MotoGP is in the public consciousness

And considering DORNA gave exclusive LIVE rights to BBC to hopefully grow in the public's consciousness - it's been a disaster! Virtually no promotion, switched from BBC2/3/Red button. Pathetic, saying that, the newspapers are no better.

wedge
16th December 2009, 12:59
And considering DORNA gave exclusive LIVE rights to BBC to hopefully grow in the public's consciousness - it's been a disaster! Virtually no promotion, switched from BBC2/3/Red button. Pathetic, saying that, the newspapers are no better.

Have you noticed in previous SPOTY Suzi Perry did a short review of the MotoGP season but this year, now that F1 is back on the Beeb, we ended up getting a 10 second excerpt.

A few years ago, our Steve Rider managed to get Dan Wheldon into the studio guestlist and a worthy mention.

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 14:41

What has Giggs done in 2009 to merit the award? Let's face it, they gave out two lifetime achievements awards this year.

Schurke
16th December 2009, 15:11
Basically Giggs is a text book professional football player. This year he has achieved:

- Over 800 appearances for Man U
- played in his 3rd (check) Champions League final
- scored over 150 goals for Man U
- scored over 100 goals in Premier League
- voted PFA player of the year
- heīs won every possible English football medal going

and heīs still going.............the lifetime achievement award still has a few years to go !!

BeansBeansBeans
16th December 2009, 16:17
I agree with everything you say about Giggs but don't feel it justifies SPOTY for 2009. It shouldn't be about career achievements, but rather what has been acheieved in the calendar year.

Jenson Button won the F1 world championship in 2009. Ryan Giggs played about 15 games for Man Utd.

Mark in Oshawa
16th December 2009, 17:23
Meanwhile in the US, AP made Tiger Woods the athelte of the decade. Is sexual conquest a sport? Insert your own jokes here......

Daniel
16th December 2009, 18:07
I agree with everything you say about Giggs but don't feel it justifies SPOTY for 2009. It shouldn't be about career achievements, but rather what has been acheieved in the calendar year.

Jenson Button won the F1 world championship in 2009. Ryan Giggs played about 15 games for Man Utd.
Yes but it's about personality. Jenson doesn't really have one that people warm to.

Schurke
17th December 2009, 09:45
I didnīt vote for him and agree with you, it should be about sporting achievements.
I have a feeling David Beckham will win next year ! (although I hope itīs Andy Murray - after he wins Wimbledon)

Daniel
17th December 2009, 09:55
I didnīt vote for him and agree with you, it should be about sporting achievements.
I have a feeling David Beckham will win next year ! (although I hope itīs Andy Murray - after he wins Wimbledon)
It's not meant to be about sporting achievements, it's about who they are and what their achievements have done for the public.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th December 2009, 10:42
Maybe it's just a popularity contest?

Daniel
17th December 2009, 12:33
Exactly! Considering that opinion is divided about Jenson on an enthusiast forum there's your answer as to why he didn't win. I think Lewis Hamilton is far more likely to win than Jenson.

Hazell B
18th December 2009, 14:57

That's the point - 50% of it is!
Half of the vote is the phone lines and the other half is journalists. Button need only be unpopular with a quarter of the journalists and he's stuffed. I was surprised he came as high as he did to be honest.