PDA

View Full Version : Danica's New Indycar

DanicaFan
30th November 2009, 13:38
Danica announced and presented her new paint scheme for her 2010 Indycar. It's bright green and black. The primary sponsor is GoDaddy.com

No mention of contract specifics but the 3 year deal is still coming out of Indy. They are saying at Andretti Autosport that is a multi-year deal with GoDaddy and Danica!

DanicaFan
30th November 2009, 13:48
Here are a couple pics of her new suit and car..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/danica_press2.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/danica_press1.jpg

SarahFan
30th November 2009, 14:43
would that be considered lime green?

SarahFan
30th November 2009, 14:46
and whats up with the 'chrome horn'?

Scheckterfan54
30th November 2009, 15:27
Was the GMA appearance more about donating coats or showing off the new sponsorship and livery?

SarahFan
30th November 2009, 15:49
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Danica-underwhelms-with-announcement-but-ther?urn=nascar,205550

I am evil Homer
30th November 2009, 15:49
You'd think with such a lrage marketing budget Go Daddy would get a logo that doesn't look like it was drawn by an 8 year old in Word.

wedge
30th November 2009, 15:50
Jeez, that shade of errr green

She looks likes an X-Men or some kinda comic book hero.

Sorry, but I can't take my eyes off her chest. Cue "Who's the Daddy" jokes - I think a have DVD hidden somewhere... ;) :D

Chamoo
30th November 2009, 15:50
Is the picture of her in the GoDaddy suit photoshopped? It looks like an old picture of her with another drivers suit on.

TURN3
30th November 2009, 15:55
Although we lost Motorola mainly due to the economy, nice to see a new primary come on board with GoDaddy. That being said, I cancelled all of my accounts there over the holiday in anticipation and have all my domains being transferred to another hosting company.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this too but seems that the NASCAR is imminent rumors have faded yet again. I'm glad that we'll have our own version of Dale Jr. still in Indycar though...you know, the most popular driver being a er.

DanicaFan
30th November 2009, 16:18
Turn3, you just wait, that new green/black GoDaddy car will be in victory lane next year a few times. :)

Blancvino
30th November 2009, 16:24
Turn3, you just wait, that new green/black GoDaddy car will be in victory lane next year a few times. :)

So, 2010 is the year Linus observes the Great Pumpkin too?

SarahFan
30th November 2009, 16:30

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

ykiki
30th November 2009, 16:39

A few times? Have you gone soft on us DF? The old DF would've told us "...that new green/black GoDaddy car will be in victory lane next year at every race" ;)

Pat Wiatrowski
30th November 2009, 17:56
Jeez, that shade of errr green

She looks likes an X-Men or some kinda comic book hero.

Sorry, but I can't take my eyes off her chest. Cue "Who's the Daddy" jokes - I think a have DVD hidden somewhere... ;) :D

What Chest?????????????

jwhite9185
30th November 2009, 18:49
I like it! But probably only because its something new to look at. Wondering if AGR... sorry AA will be changing TK's and Marcos car colours too?

jackmart
30th November 2009, 18:51
Does it seem like Danica has less sponsers? Just GoDaddy,Honda, 7-11 and airtran. was bryant her sponser last year?

garyshell
30th November 2009, 18:53
Although we lost Motorola mainly due to the economy, nice to see a new primary come on board with GoDaddy. That being said, I cancelled all of my accounts there over the holiday in anticipation and have all my domains being transferred to another hosting company.

Let me make sure I understnd this. You decided to pull your domains because GoDaddy decided to sponsor an IRL driver? Haven't you been one of the folks, me included, who have said that the IRL needs to do more to get new sponsors into the series?

Gary

Lousada
30th November 2009, 19:25
It looks pretty good. At least it's not red/white/blue.

TURN3
30th November 2009, 20:30
Let me make sure I understnd this. You decided to pull your domains because GoDaddy decided to sponsor an IRL driver? Haven't you been one of the folks, me included, who have said that the IRL needs to do more to get new sponsors into the series?

Gary

Yes, I'm glad they are in but they chose to sponsor a pathetic driver....and their services don't serve my best interests. I'd been meaning to change anyway but the timing was right so it made me feel good to use this as an excuse. But, again, as I said in my first post I'm glad to see a "new" primary sponsor come in. Doesn't mean I have to like them or use their product. I never smoked by followed Marlboro and Kool. I don't use 9/10ths of the products that are on today's cars either. I do occasionally buy toiletries and Target!!

TURN3
30th November 2009, 20:36

I've been waiting what...5 years now for something like that to happen? Unlike you I'm not holding my breath. That way I don't have any brain damage from lack of oxygen...which might explain why you're still holding yours!! (And that is a joke for some of you less inclined). At any rate, what is Danica now? 27 or 28? I'd think if she were ever going to be successful she would have been at some level by now. But, since she hasn't the wait goes on! She'll be 40 and still trying to sell using smoke and mirrors...or should I say airbrushing and makeup...Numbers don't lie.

And since you have me thinking there DFan...I joined this forumn after reading it for years when you went off on some spectacle 3 seasons ago that she was better than the likes of Paul Tracy and she'd have more career wins etc etc etc...You realize she'd have to win every oval race for the next 8 years to get close right? Well, nobody but you on this forum would be that ludicrous so it isn't much for conversation. Just thought I'd point that out thinking about it this much later.

jackmart
30th November 2009, 21:28
So I was talking to my parents about Danica's sponsor and my mom said that GoDaddy is affiliated with her father and I thought she was joking because of the name but then she that is her fathers company. Is this true?

Jag_Warrior
30th November 2009, 21:45
So I was talking to my parents about Danica's sponsor and my mom said that GoDaddy is affiliated with her father and I thought she was joking because of the name but then she that is her fathers company. Is this true?

Well, I guess Bob Parsons could be her father. Maybe this sponsorship is his way of catching up on the back child support.

Blancvino
30th November 2009, 21:45

Bob Parson's is the founder and CEO of GoDaddy.com

DanicaFan
30th November 2009, 21:51

No, as stated, Bob Parsons is CEO and founder of GoDaddy, no family connections to Danica. Danica's father is TJ Patrick.

GoDaddy just knows talent when they see it, so they sponsor them.

Easy Drifter
1st December 2009, 01:06
Come on people. I am no Danica fan and I enjoy razzing DF but he has toned it down somewhat.

harvick#1
1st December 2009, 01:13
GoDaddy just knows talent when they see it, so they sponsor them.

Danica Patrick and Dale Earnhardt Jr. yep, thats lots of talent in those two :D

Phoenixent
1st December 2009, 01:49

Yeah what he said.... :up:

NickFalzone
1st December 2009, 02:39
I really don't care one way or another whether Danica stays in IndyCar. I think she brings as much to the series as she takes away from it. That said, I'm not unhappy that she's committed to Andretti for a few years. What has disappointed me most about this whole charade is how ESPN and NASCAR have desperately tried to keep the Danica flame alive, as if it's hugely important that she comes to their series. IndyCar right now is barely a gnat on the ear of NASCAR, and they do desperation moves like today where clearly everyone in NASCAR/ESPN land was disappointed at the lack of Danica stock car news, so they came up with some piece of gossip about an image on Danica's website that was briefly up with a Chevy logo. Look at NASCAR.com right now, front page article about that. Doesn't NASCAR have bigger things going on in it's own series, than to be worrying about what Danica does or doesn't do? It's like every week they print some nothing story about her.

Honestly, as a fan of NASCAR, I'm kind of horrified if she goes there. Because while the IRL hypes her up, the last couple of years she's kind of faded into just another driver. Even in the broadcasts people have noticed that unless she's running top 5 she doesn't really get mentioned much. But I get the feeling NASCAR is going to be crowing Danica Patrick this and that every chance they get. Is she running well? Is she running poorly? What can she do to get better? How is it being a woman driver in NASCAR? blah blah blah. It will really make the broadcasts (and web news) a headache to deal with. I think we will be seeing weekly and sometimes even daily articles about Danica's experience in NASCAR-land. Count on pre and post-race interviews with her at almost every race, regardless of results. It will make Dale Jr. look like a start and parker in comparison.

beachgirl
1st December 2009, 11:15
I really don't care one way or another whether Danica stays in IndyCar. I think she brings as much to the series as she takes away from it. That said, I'm not unhappy that she's committed to Andretti for a few years. What has disappointed me most about this whole charade is how ESPN and NASCAR have desperately tried to keep the Danica flame alive, as if it's hugely important that she comes to their series. IndyCar right now is barely a gnat on the ear of NASCAR, and they do desperation moves like today where clearly everyone in NASCAR/ESPN land was disappointed at the lack of Danica stock car news, so they came up with some piece of gossip about an image on Danica's website that was briefly up with a Chevy logo. Look at NASCAR.com right now, front page article about that. Doesn't NASCAR have bigger things going on in it's own series, than to be worrying about what Danica does or doesn't do? It's like every week they print some nothing story about her.

Honestly, as a fan of NASCAR, I'm kind of horrified if she goes there. Because while the IRL hypes her up, the last couple of years she's kind of faded into just another driver. Even in the broadcasts people have noticed that unless she's running top 5 she doesn't really get mentioned much. But I get the feeling NASCAR is going to be crowing Danica Patrick this and that every chance they get. Is she running well? Is she running poorly? What can she do to get better? How is it being a woman driver in NASCAR? blah blah blah. It will really make the broadcasts (and web news) a headache to deal with. I think we will be seeing weekly and sometimes even daily articles about Danica's experience in NASCAR-land. Count on pre and post-race interviews with her at almost every race, regardless of results. It will make Dale Jr. look like a start and parker in comparison.

I agree totally.

beachbum
1st December 2009, 11:19
Nick, an excellent appraisal of Danica. I would agree 100%. I have never understood the "buzz" about Danica and why some sports writers and fans go all ga-ga over her.

But I wonder...... Taking a conspiracy view of the NASCAR hype, one could argue there is a deeper reason for the media attention. Even in the politically correct world that surrounds the Danica brand, many NASCAR people have been vocal that they think she wouldn't do well. If the "darling" of the IRL couldn't cut it in NASCAR, that would reflect badly on the IRL and it is in NASCAR's interest to discredit other series.

Really though, I think this is all the result of the PR machine IMG trying to pump up their "brand" and force AA (that still looks weird) to give her a longer contract. She played the same card back when she left Rahal, so it is hardly a surprise it happened again.

Will she go to NASCAR? I doubt it. I can't see Michael giving a three year contract without something in return. As long as she is has an IRL commitment, she can only dabble in other series anyway.

DanicaFan
1st December 2009, 12:03

Difference is Danica actually has talent and can run up front with the big boys, Dale cannot. He couldnt make the chase but every other team member did. He is an average driver at best with the best equipment but cant cut it. He needs to quit blaming equipment, crew chiefs, etc and start blaming his driving skills.

beachbum
1st December 2009, 12:43
Difference is Danica actually has talent and can run up front with the big boys, Dale cannot. He couldnt make the chase but every other team member did. He is an average driver at best with the best equipment but cant cut it. He needs to quit blaming equipment, crew chiefs, etc and start blaming his driving skills.Keep believing that. ;)

TURN3
1st December 2009, 13:34
Difference is Danica actually has talent and can run up front with the big boys, Dale cannot. He couldnt make the chase but every other team member did. He is an average driver at best with the best equipment but cant cut it. He needs to quit blaming equipment, crew chiefs, etc and start blaming his driving skills.

Complete this sentence...Dale Jr. is different than Danica because __________.

You obvoiusly see the accuracy in the lack of Dale Jr.'s talent so I can't see why you are more objective with Danica. Dale Jr. Does have 1 bogus fuel win in Hendrick equipment, Danica has 1 bogus fuel win in AGR equipment. Dale Jr. failed to make the chase while his teammates finished 1-3. Danica has failed to win races and compete for championships while her teammates have won multiple championships. These two are like pees in a pod!!

Wait, I have to correct something here. Dale Jr. actually won regularly in the Busch series including I think 2 championships. I guess we'll just have to imagine the days when Danica was winning in the lower ranks as often as she does in the bigs.

Blancvino
1st December 2009, 13:39
These two are like pees in a pod!!.

Ironic typo?

Alexamateo
1st December 2009, 15:13

Wait, I have to correct something here. Dale Jr. actually won regularly in the Busch series including I think 2 championships. I guess we'll just have to imagine the days when Danica was winning in the lower ranks as often as she does in the bigs.

Just for the record, Dale Jr has 18 wins in Cup, and 22 wins in the Busch/Nationwide series to go along with the 2 aforementioned championships. That's 40 total wins in Nascar's top 2 series, not to mention a win in the All-star race, and multiple Clash/shootout wins and multiple Daytona qualifier wins.

Whatever mental block or problems he may have now, I don't know. Perhaps he's a has-been, regardless it's better to be a has-been than a never-was.

Chamoo
1st December 2009, 16:15
Just for the record, Dale Jr has 18 wins in Cup, and 22 wins in the Busch/Nationwide series to go along with the 2 aforementioned championships. That's 40 total wins in Nascar's top 2 series, not to mention a win in the All-star race, and multiple Clash/shootout wins and multiple Daytona qualifier wins.

Whatever mental block or problems he may have now, I don't know. Perhaps he's a has-been, regardless it's better to be a has-been than a never-was.

Let's face it though, has anyone ever done well in the fourth Hendrick car? Going back to 2000, the 88 car (then the 25 car) has 5 wins.

1 Win by Jerry Nadeau
1 Win by Joe Nemechek
1 Win by Brian Vickers
1 Win by Casey Mears
1 Win by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

As opposed to the #48 car who has 47 wins since 2001.
As opposed to the #24 car who has 33 wins since 2000.
As opposed to the #5 car who has 10 wins since 2000 (and finished in the top 10 regularily).

Maybe it isn't the person driving the #88 car, maybe it is the team behind him.

The if Earnhardt Jr. had never won before moving to Hendrick, I'd understand how he would be seen as a no talent schmuck, but he has plenty of wins and has been in the chase before. I don't see this so much as an Earnhardt problem so much as a Hendrick problem.

NickFalzone
1st December 2009, 16:47
Let's face it though, has anyone ever done well in the fourth Hendrick car? Going back to 2000, the 88 car (then the 25 car) has 5 wins.

1 Win by Jerry Nadeau
1 Win by Joe Nemechek
1 Win by Brian Vickers
1 Win by Casey Mears
1 Win by Dale Earnhardt Jr.

As opposed to the #48 car who has 47 wins since 2001.
As opposed to the #24 car who has 33 wins since 2000.
As opposed to the #5 car who has 10 wins since 2000 (and finished in the top 10 regularily).

Maybe it isn't the person driving the #88 car, maybe it is the team behind him.

The if Earnhardt Jr. had never won before moving to Hendrick, I'd understand how he would be seen as a no talent schmuck, but he has plenty of wins and has been in the chase before. I don't see this so much as an Earnhardt problem so much as a Hendrick problem.

I think that might be part of it, but I think Jr. and his team/crew chiefs are also to blame. I do not consider Dale Jr. to be one of the best drivers in NASCAR, now or ever. But I do think he has clearly established himself as a good driver, with a record that most NASCAR drivers would be proud of. Danica on the other hand has quite a lot to prove. She's had some moderate success in the last year and a half, but to say she's on the same level as Jr., let alone a better racecar driver, is completely baseless IMO. Dale in top flight NASCAR series - 18 wins. Danica in top AOW series - 1 win. I think that says it all as far as a comparison, and if I wanted to I could easily stack the deck more in Jr.'s favor.

harvick#1
1st December 2009, 16:56
Keep believing that. ;)

:D :up:

Jr has had pretty good cars with the 88, he just finds a way now to screw things up, ex. not able to find his pit box, running the highest line you can and then hitting the wall about 50 times running that line, forgetting to shift killing the engine and trans.

the list goes on with him, but Danica, I have yet to see her put the hammer down with 20 to go and pass the likes of Dario, or Scott, or Helio, or Ryan, or TK when its go time and everyone is fueled to the finish.

garyshell
1st December 2009, 16:57

DF, I understand your admiration for Danica and standing up for her at every turn. But here you have totally gone over the line in to delusion. She might have the talent to run up front with the big boy in open wheel, but she won't have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell should she try NASCAB. Do you HONESTLY think she is a better driver than Dario or Jacques Villenuve? Look how they did in NASCAB. The old boys network there will give her so much trouble wait and see.

As for Dale Jr., you MUST be even more delirious. He is not a great driver by any stretch, but he does have talent. How else can you explain his 40 wins in the two NASCAB series?

Gary

jwhite9185
1st December 2009, 18:44
DF, I understand your admiration for Danica and standing up for her at every turn. But here you have totally gone over the line in to delusion. She might have the talent to run up front with the big boy in open wheel, but she won't have the proverbial snowball's chance in hell should she try NASCAB. Do you HONESTLY think she is a better driver than Dario or Jacques Villenuve? Look how they did in NASCAB. The old boys network there will give her so much trouble wait and see.

As for Dale Jr., you MUST be even more delirious. He is not a great driver by any stretch, but he does have talent. How else can you explain his 40 wins in the two NASCAB series?

Gary

Dont forget Sam Hornish... 3 times indycar champion looking pretty average in Nascar.

Same goes for Montoya really. Although he is showing improvement, doubt he will ever be winning every weekend.

EagleEye
1st December 2009, 19:16
No, as stated, Bob Parsons is CEO and founder of GoDaddy, no family connections to Danica. Danica's father is TJ Patrick.

GoDaddy just knows marketing potential when they see it, so they sponsor them.

I hope this is what he meant.

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2009, 04:32
First off, It is great Danica has a 3 year deal in the IRL. If she is going to have success, That will be where it is most likely to happen. Lots of ovals, in a car she is used to. She cannot do road racing and be competitive. I defy anyone to show me when she ran up front and was a threat on any road course in ANY car.

IF she comes to NASCAR, the hype will again be great, and the results minimal. Sorry DF, her best bet is to stay the heck out of Stockcars. Unless she came to NASCAR full time and spent time in Trucks and Nationwide learning, plus ARCA, she might have a chance. The problem is Danica is afraid to fail. She was afraid to humble herself and immerse herself in NASCAR and pay her dues. Running 16 races a year for JR motorsports isn't going to do anything but give GoDaddy and herself some exposure. When the NASCAR crowd realizes she cannot adapt to these cars, the bloom will be off that rose.

Mark in Oshawa
6th December 2009, 04:35
As for all you guys taking shots at Jr., let me point out as a Jr. fan I have little to be happy about but the man has a Daytona 500 and two Busch champioinships, 18 cup wins. IN short, he has done something.

Danica? One race win under fuel mileage2 years ago. Sorry....doesn't compare.

She couldn't win in Atlantics, while Kat Legge won 2 Atlantic races. Just Kat didn't use her sex to sell her image to buy a ride....

Danica isn't even the most talented woman in racing today...just the best hyped.

Phoenixent
6th December 2009, 07:01
As for all you guys taking shots at Jr., let me point out as a Jr. fan I have little to be happy about but the man has a Daytona 500 and two Busch champioinships, 18 cup wins. IN short, he has done something.

Danica? One race win under fuel mileage2 years ago. Sorry....doesn't compare.

She couldn't win in Atlantics, while Kat Legge won 2 Atlantic races. Just Kat didn't use her sex to sell her image to buy a ride....

Danica isn't even the most talented woman in racing today...just the best hyped.

I agree with what you said about Danica. She is the most hyped female driver out there and that is what people see. Let her go to NASCAR and she will be in the top 30 maybe as that is as far as her talent will take her.

NickFalzone
7th December 2009, 00:18
I think Danica is going to struggle because I feel like, to some extent, driver input is more important in NASCAR than in IndyCar. And I'm talking about during the race, not necessarily car setup (which she might learn to be decent at). In IndyCar if Danica gets a super fast oval car, chances are she's going to be solid top 5 all day. But in NASCAR, getting a quality Hendrick or Gibbs car is hardly a guarantee of running up front (see Logano, and Jr. in 09). I do think the mix of roads/streets/ovals helps to separate the men from the boys in IndyCar, but in oval-centric NASCAR even being with a top team, Danica I think with struggle mightily. I don't think she's quite aware of the challenges ahead when multi-faceted drivers (sports cars, alms, CART), like Franchitti, Carpentier, and Villeneuve, struggled heavily in NASCAR. Part of the equation is, is the driver good? I think those 3 drivers are very talented drivers. The 2nd part of the equation is, can the driver adapt their style to stock cars? And those 3 clearly had significant difficulty with that. Danica will more so, on both counts, imo.

Easy Drifter
7th December 2009, 01:44
I cut DF some slack thinking that he had come down out of the clouds. Wrong.
I will be surprised if she ever actually races in any taxi cab series. The hype continues but it is all smoke and mirrors plus quite a bit of air brush work! :D

TURN3
7th December 2009, 17:47
...car setup (which she might learn to be decent at). In IndyCar if Danica gets a super fast oval car, chances are she's going to be solid top 5 all day.

No offense to you at all Nick but.... :D !

Danica's inability to set-up an indycar has proved to be a huge problem at AGR. In 5 seasons she still hasn't figured it out (see constant regression of results since her arrival and talented driver departure) and this generation of chassis is as easy as it has been since the days of Ray Harroun...relatively speaking. When Danica's engineer hits the sweet spot for her, she's still pushing up the top 8 or 10 from the rear. There has never been a day where she's been a solid top 5...EVER. When the racing Gods align and she gets a top 5, it is always (not usually, but always) because of strategy or a timely yellow.

Furthermore, I have to say that this off-season is boring. We need to get some more anti-Danica rants going here to spice life up a bit!!!

beachbum
7th December 2009, 22:57
We need to get some more anti-Danica rants going here to spice life up a bit!!!After 5 years, everyone has run out of new material. Just the same old - same old. Perhaps the "15 minutes of fame" has passed.

Wilf
7th December 2009, 23:18
No offense to you at all Nick but.... :D !

There has never been a day where she's been a solid top 5...EVER. When the racing Gods align and she gets a top 5, it is always (not usually, but always) because of strategy or a timely yellow.

Pretty amazing math here - never a solid top 5 ... EVER

BUT

She finishes fifth in points. That Mikey must be an amazing tactician.

TURN3
8th December 2009, 00:34
Pretty amazing math here - never a solid top 5 ... EVER

BUT

She finishes fifth in points. That Mikey must be an amazing tactician.

I hate when people say stupid stuff for all to see. If you look, she had 5 top 5's this year (4 of which came in the first 5 races). In each and every one of those, she backed into it through a strategic gift or attrition. Hardly anything but solid. So my statement is accurate and you didn't think to stop from talking out of your pants. Tell me 1 race all year that she qualified and/or raced her way the front and competed there for any length of a race? Then you can bellow such thoughtless comments.
While you're trying to figure things out, give some thought to "solid" top 5. Maybe your definition is different that mine of course...but I'm not a person sloughing off into mediocrity. To me a "solid" top 5 is a racer that is in contention based on speed when it matters...not a conservative, fuel saving, pass-less, afraid to run side by side, blocking, and whiny brat that gained 3 spots when the real top 5 was racing and took one another out during passionate competition. Of course I make no reference to how she finished around 17th in the final race and still held onto the spot because a 17th is about equivalent to a 5th in the points system.

When you're done trying to figure that out, if you ever do, then take a look at how Matt Kenseth won a championship in NASCAR a few years ago without ever winning a race. He must have been an amazing tactition huh?

nigelred5
8th December 2009, 03:00
After 5 years, everyone has run out of new material. Just the same old - same old. Perhaps the "15 minutes of fame" has passed.

More like 15 minutes of LAME. She was brought up from Atlantics by Rahal way too early when he moved her to the IRL.

So has she started shopping in the big girls section yet? That driving suit does her no favors.

NickFalzone
8th December 2009, 04:00
Not that anyone here really cares (including me) but apparently miss Danica will be making her Nationwide/Go-Daddy announcement tomorrow. First Nationwide race in February...? Wow. Never driven a stock car, ever. Good luck.

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/bg/12/07/dpatrick.jr.motorsports/index.html

harvick#1
8th December 2009, 04:33
When you're done trying to figure that out, if you ever do, then take a look at how Matt Kenseth won a championship in NASCAR a few years ago without ever winning a race. He must have been an amazing tactition huh?

Kenseth had 1 race win in his championship season. Kenseth proved that you can win a championship without having the first or bust method Kyle Busch has

TURN3
8th December 2009, 13:22
Kenseth had 1 race win in his championship season. Kenseth proved that you can win a championship without having the first or bust method Kyle Busch has

My bad, I don't follow NASCAR extremely close but I know it was part of the cause of them going to a chase format. Did Kurt Busch win his championship with no wins? Just curious. Still, it illustrates my point that just because Danica finished 5th in points doesn't imply she was contending for 5th places finishes regularly.

Thanks for the correction.

Lee Roy
8th December 2009, 15:49
Did Kurt Busch win his championship with no wins? Just curious.

No. There has never been a NASCAR "Cup" champion that hasn't won a race in their championship year.

To my knowledge, that has only happened in Indy Car. Rick Mears. Not sure of the year.

Pat Wiatrowski
8th December 2009, 18:29
I hate when people say stupid stuff for all to see. If you look, she had 5 top 5's this year (4 of which came in the first 5 races). In each and every one of those, she backed into it through a strategic gift or attrition. Hardly anything but solid. So my statement is accurate and you didn't think to stop from talking out of your pants. Tell me 1 race all year that she qualified and/or raced her way the front and competed there for any length of a race? Then you can bellow such thoughtless comments.
While you're trying to figure things out, give some thought to "solid" top 5. Maybe your definition is different that mine of course...but I'm not a person sloughing off into mediocrity. To me a "solid" top 5 is a racer that is in contention based on speed when it matters...not a conservative, fuel saving, pass-less, afraid to run side by side, blocking, and whiny brat that gained 3 spots when the real top 5 was racing and took one another out during passionate competition. Of course I make no reference to how she finished around 17th in the final race and still held onto the spot because a 17th is about equivalent to a 5th in the points system.

Yes! Kenseth is an amazing tactition, plus being and above average driver in addition.

TURN3
8th December 2009, 20:21
Yes! Kenseth is an amazing tactition, plus being and above average driver in addition.

Yes, Kenseth is a worthy champion. You make a good point in that he has no business in a Danica conversation, we're talking about a side show and Matt deserves better. I apologize for that but was simply trying to point out you don't have to finish in the top 5 every race to finsih 5th in points.

Alexamateo
8th December 2009, 20:28
No. There has never been a NASCAR "Cup" champion that hasn't won a race in their championship year.

To my knowledge, that has only happened in Indy Car. Rick Mears. Not sure of the year.

To my knowledge, Rick Mears won races in his championship seasons.

The only two champions who did not win races in their championship seasons were Tom Sneva in 1978, and Tony Bettenhausen Sr. in 1958.

Alexamateo
8th December 2009, 20:31
.............without having the first or bust method Kyle Busch has

Back in the day, they'd call it "GO or BLOW!" :D

Lee Roy
8th December 2009, 20:47
To my knowledge, Rick Mears won races in his championship seasons.

The only two champions who did not win races in their championship seasons were Tom Sneva in 1978, and Tony Bettenhausen Sr. in 1958.

Thanks.

jwhite9185
9th December 2009, 18:29
As did Jimmy Vasser in his championship year.

Same can be said for deFerran in 2001 - didnt win his first race of the season until the 17th race!