PDA

View Full Version : The Nordic Skiing World Championships - Sapporo, Feb 22-Mar 4

EuroTroll
22nd February 2007, 12:35
The first day of competition is over - two golds for Norway. I must say I'm really happy for both winners. Jens Arne Svartedal has been the most successful classical sprinter on the world cup tour, but didn't have any championship medals until today. Astrid Jakobsen seems like a really nice girl. Much more likeable than the somewhat masculine Marit Björgen, and surely a star of the future. :up:

janneppi
22nd February 2007, 13:04
And Virpi Kuitunen got bronze, too bad Hollola's own Aimo Kaisa Saarinen didn't have any speed today.
The indoor finish was a fun detail, i was a bit disappinted that the mascot is a deer of some sort, and not some crazy manga tentacle monster. :)

EuroTroll
22nd February 2007, 13:16
i was a bit disappinted that the mascot is a deer of some sort, and not some crazy manga tentacle monster. :)

Looks like a reindeer. Surely a good omen for the Finns! :p :

http://www.sapporo2007.com/english/images/norkey01.gif

Virpi seemed incredibly strong in qualifying. I guess she pushed too hard in the early rounds and didn't have much steam left for the final? I also wonder if participating in all events - as she plans to do - is really the right way to go... We will see.

jens
22nd February 2007, 13:20
I also watched the events today. I hoped that the Japanese skier would win a medal, but she just slightly missed out, but a marvellous result anyway. :)

I also hoped that the Swedes and Newell can win a medal, well Swedes got one silver. Jönsson and Newell seem to lack of endurance - great in qualifying and in the first rounds, but not a serious threat in the final - like Lind several years ago.

All in all, hopefully the championships won't be a domination of Norwegens and in tomorrow's relay also another state can snatch a gold. :D

pino
22nd February 2007, 13:26
Great thread :up: I've been busy the whole morning so I didn't had time to watch any events but I won't miss anymore events. Can't wait for the woman and men relay :s mokin:

Go Italy :D

EuroTroll
22nd February 2007, 13:33
Virpi seemed incredibly strong in qualifying. I guess she pushed too hard in the early rounds and didn't have much steam left for the final? I also wonder if participating in all events - as she plans to do - is really the right way to go... We will see.

I should have had a quick look through the Finnish YLE web site before posting crap. :cheese: Kuitunen in fact had back problems and she won't participate in all events, as Estonian reporters claimed. :laugh:

jens
22nd February 2007, 13:34
Great thread :up: I've been busy the whole morning so I didn't had time to watch any events but I won't miss anymore events. Can't wait for the woman and men relay :s mokin:

Go Italy :D

Although Italian cross-country skiers have been very strong for already two decades by now, then I've always wondered that how followed ski events are in Italy. :) It probably depends on the region, but can you tell, how many Italian people are aware of their skiers? :p : And how often are the results of ski events mentioned in sport news?

pino
22nd February 2007, 13:59
Ski events are still very popular in Italy, but for example In Sicily they don't follow those events with the same passion, and interest as in Lombardy. Those events gets a good TV coverage and are mentioned in all Sport News ;) I believe in terms of popularity Ski events are in 4th pos after Football, Motorsports, and Cycling.

janneppi
22nd February 2007, 14:01
I should have had a quick look through the Finnish YLE web site before posting crap. :cheese: Kuitunen in fact had back problems and she won't participate in all events, as Estonian reporters claimed. :laugh:
I thought she was going to take part in all events too. :)
She's had back trouble all through this season, it affected a bit on Tour de Ski too.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd February 2007, 17:19
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't even know the world Nordics were on, that is the level of interest in Canada. We are more into the downhill side of skiiing around here, although we have had some success in recent years with Becky Scott and Sara Renner.

It is too bad, I love watching the cross country stars when the Olympics are on, but it seems that is the only time Canadian's really get to see this sport.

janneppi
22nd February 2007, 17:52
Remember Finns, the Nordic combined starts at 8am, Let's hope "isojen kisojen Manninen" doesn't end up more than two minutes behind the leader come the skii-ing part. :)

EuroTroll
22nd February 2007, 17:53
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't even know the world Nordics were on, that is the level of interest in Canada. We are more into the downhill side of skiiing around here, although we have had some success in recent years with Becky Scott and Sara Renner.

And Chandra Crawford of course, the individual sprint Olympic Champion from Torino. ;)

I'd like it too if the Northern Americans were more involved with Nordic skiing. Without them, it would feel - and sometimes does feel - like the European Championships with a guest appearance from Japan.

jens
22nd February 2007, 18:01
Remember Finns, the Nordic combined starts at 8am, Let's hope "isojen kisojen Manninen" doesn't end up more than two minutes behind the leader come the skii-ing part. :)

Have you got a good answer, why so far Hannu has always failed at the most important event of a season? Is it really down to psychology?

janneppi
22nd February 2007, 18:13
Perhaps, altough Torino venue didn't really suit him, he's heavy for a combined man and that makes jumping in "thin" air difficult, add to that, Torino ski-ing took place in the mountains, where big skiers aren't the best suited for steep climbs in the thin air.

This year heh hasn't been as dominant in world cup races as last year, so he might have trained better to peak at the right time.

EuroTroll
22nd February 2007, 20:51
I see that the Finns have really made a significant leap forward in terms of the internet coverage of the championships. :up: There's a live coverage window and practically the whole day's action in video clips.

http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/mediasali/mmhiihdot/2007/suoralahetys_fi.html

janneppi
22nd February 2007, 21:20
Youd think so wouldn't you? :(
I didn't try it myself, but on another forum people complained that the yle-site was completely bogged down at times due to traffic, i fear they are going to do like with Torino and "concentrate on producing video clips" instead of getting bigger network cable. :)

janneppi
23rd February 2007, 09:19
Italy took the mens team sprint and Finland leads womens team sprint before doping tests. :)

EuroTroll
23rd February 2007, 09:25
:laugh:

EuroTroll
23rd February 2007, 10:53
I find the music in Sapporo today quite... satisfactory. A bit too fast, but along the right lines. :p :

Congrats to the Finns, and Hannu of course. :up: About bloody time.

Woodeye
23rd February 2007, 10:56
It's not that I'm too interested about skiing in any form but it seems that Finland got two golds today.

Kuitunen and Roponen took one gold from womes pair sprint and Hannu Manninen took gold from combined?

Not bad, eh? ;)

EuroTroll
23rd February 2007, 10:57
It's not that I'm too interested about skiing in any form but it seems that Finland got two golds today.

Kuitunen and Roponen took one gold from womes pair sprint and Hannu Manninen took gold from combined?

Not bad, eh? ;)

It's only because Andrus Veerpalu didn't compete. ;) :D

janneppi
23rd February 2007, 10:59
I find the music in Sapporo today quite... satisfactory. A bit too fast, but along the right lines. :p :

Congrats to the Finns, and Hannu of course. :up: About bloody time.

Yes, he was his normal self, and Koivuranta was fourth. :up:
I was confident that Hannu would be on medals after skijump was closer than normal.

It's only because Andrus Veerpalu didn't compete.
I'm not sure he would have beaten Kuitunen. :p :

Tomi
23rd February 2007, 10:59
It's only because Andrus Veerpalu didn't compete. ;) :D

yes, he would have been tough for the girls to beat :)

Tomi
23rd February 2007, 11:06
Finland leads womens team sprint before doping tests. :)
Whats the point with an norwegian coach, if he dont know the right stuff :)

jens
23rd February 2007, 11:26
Kircheisen struggled with ski jumps for many years and often started even among the last ones for skiing. Now he has at least got it right in ski jumps and before 7,5 km of skiing I was pretty convinced that it was going to be an easy win for him, but - oh dear! - better form in jumping has been faithful to skiing form! Manninen's faith reminds a bit of speed skater Dan Jansen's, who was a title favourite for many years and at last got it, when he already had got the reputation of a "loser".

What concerns team sprint, then is it just me, but 10 skiers on the track simultaneously is a bit much, especially in the finals - would eight be suitable? :p : Especially at the men's side.

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 07:34
Geesh... :eek: I really feel sorry for Petter Northug. He looks like a man with an amazing fire in his belly, but he also looks like a man who's cursed. :s

jens
24th February 2007, 08:52
I'm very happy - Axel Teichmann is World Champion!! :bounce: :hot: :D And all the Germans were very competitive.

Unfortunately Estonians are having a very bad year... Veerpalu out with knee injury, now Mae couldn't participate with too high hemoglobin level. Saarepuu is ill. Narusk tends to fall and Kümmel was disqualified. :p :

The last hope is what can Šmigun do tomorrow, who has also been ill in January... :\

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 08:55
Unfortunately Estonians are having a very bad year... Veerpalu out with knee injury, now Mae couldn't participate with too high hemoglobin level. Saarepuu is ill. Narusk tends to fall and Kümmel was disqualified. :p :

The last hope is what can Šmigun do tomorrow, who has also been ill in January... :\

The most important thing is that we know that Veerpalu is actually the moral winner of at least 5 different events, and noone can prove otherwise. :p :

Andrus rules! :champion: :D

Tomi
24th February 2007, 08:59
The most important thing is that we know that Veerpalu is actually the moral winner of at least 5 different events, and noone can prove otherwise. :p :

Andrus rules! :champion: :D

How about Jaak Mae, how many has he morally won? :)

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 09:09
How about Jaak Mae, how many has he morally won? :)

Jaak Mae has so far scored one moral 5th place, 13.2 seconds behind the medals. :p :

Actually we're not very happy with Mae at the moment. He's supposed to be in very good form, but got a 5 day ban for his haemoglobin level, and couldn't compete today. Jaak's level is naturally a little higher than normal, but apparently he just behaved really unprofessionally and didn't do the normal things to get the level to drop before the test. Practise at the right time, drink water at the right time, etc.

Tomi
24th February 2007, 09:32
Jaak Mae has so far scored one moral 5th place, 13.2 seconds behind the medals. :p :

Actually we're not very happy with Mae at the moment. He's supposed to be in very good form, but got a 5 day ban for his haemoglobin level, and couldn't compete today. Jaak's level is naturally a little higher than normal, but apparently he just behaved really unprofessionally and didn't do the normal things to get the level to drop before the test. Practise at the right time, drink water at the right time, etc.

ok, lets hope he can start morally well after 5 days :)

janneppi
24th February 2007, 10:12
Geesh... :eek: I really feel sorry for Petter Northug. He looks like a man with an amazing fire in his belly, but he also looks like a man who's cursed. :s
Just saw the re-run from that race, too bad for northug, he floored it perhaps a bit too soon anyways.

Skijump's second round begins soon, Harri Olli has a good chance for silver now that so many big boys dropped back in first round. The wind conditions were very bad, but fortunately pretty consistent.

janneppi
24th February 2007, 10:55
No voi helvetin perse

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 11:19
No voi helvetin perse

Come now Janne, the other people want win some golds too. :)

janneppi
24th February 2007, 11:22
Other people can go jump in a lake. :p :

EuroTroll
24th February 2007, 11:24

Just saw the ETV interview with her. She's such an uncontrollable force of nature that you can always get a fairly good idea of what's going on from just her voice, tone and posture - I'd say she's in very good form and loaded with positive energy. ;)

jens
24th February 2007, 11:32
Wow, what an end for ski jumps, especially during the last six jumps. Everyone somehow exceeded previous results and before the next jumper I always thought that can he deal with the pressure and stay in front? And they all did!

However, today is a happy day as another guy, who I have supported for a long time, has won the title. :D Simon has been struggling for so many years, but now he managed to show again that if he has form to fight for top positions, nerves are not the factor to let him down! And a great day for Switzerland as they haven't won a medal from Nordic Skiing World Champs for ten years! Hoped for a better result for Malysz, Ahonen, Küttel and the Germans though.

Looking forward to team jumps. Austria, Finland and Norway are probably the favourites, but hopefully someone from next next group (GER, SUI, POL, JPN and even RUS :p : ) can make their life a bit harder. :)

EuroTroll
25th February 2007, 05:48
Damn and blast it. :(

janneppi
25th February 2007, 07:38
Decent effort from our women, hopefullu Kuitunen can do more races, at least the relay.

Manninen was his normal level in combined relay, Kircheisen lost the plot when Hannu sped up, others did well enough too. Good that Norway came third, it was about time Gottwald was beaten in his own game.
Hip hei :)

jens
25th February 2007, 11:29
Only 10th place for Šmigun. :( The first half in classical style looked quite promising, she was in front and looked as relaxed as in Turin a year ago. But then faded in freestyle. After the race she said that the freestyle skies weren't good enough to compete against podium challengers.

In nordic combined it's a bit sad that already for many years only four teams have been capable of fighting for medals. Some years ago the U.S. team looked quite promising, now maybe French team has some potential in future perspectives. Tallus did well, I hope he will get a chance to participate in sprint as for some reason he wasn't given a chance in the first event. And the funny part was Kazakhstan. I think even Estonian team could have done better. :p : But yeah - better ten teams than nine. :)

In ski jumping team's event Finland suffered first more serious failure in these championships, everyone besides Olli were weaker than expected - why? Also all the other Swiss jumpers destroyed Simi's single-handed good efforts. But it's glad to see Japan doing well and winning a surprise medal at home event. :up: :)

P.S. I feel a bit strange at the moment, because in the last two days I have slept only for 4-5 hours due to the early starts of races. Tomorrow is a pause and I can have a sleep until as late as 9 a.m. =D

EuroTroll
25th February 2007, 15:19
Only 10th place for Šmigun. :( The first half in classical style looked quite promising, she was in front and looked as relaxed as in Turin a year ago. But then faded in freestyle. After the race she said that the freestyle skies weren't good enough to compete against podium challengers.

I disagree. She didn't look quite as good even in the classical IMO. And with Torino's form, I think she would have taken a medal (certainly a top 6 place) even with bad freestyle skis.

janneppi
28th February 2007, 07:36
Today's men' race was a farce, i think only one of the "big boys" was in top ten, good game. :)

EuroTroll
28th February 2007, 10:54
Today's men' race was a farce, i think only one of the "big boys" was in top ten, good game. :)

I'd say three - Angerer, Teichmann and Piller Cottrer. But yes, the race was most amusing. :)

I was also happy that Jaak Mae was able to take to the start and realize his supposedly good form into a glorious 71st place. :laugh:

jens
28th February 2007, 17:57
If Kaspar Kokk had started in the first group, he would have taken a medal! ;) 31st place with start number of 69 was a pretty decent result.

Germans did a reasonably good job again: 3rd, 5th and 7th in spite of tough conditions. They still seem the favourites for 4x10 km relay.

All in all it seems to become the worst Nordic Skiing World Champs for Estonians for some time - last time we didn't get any Top6 position, was in 1993. :o

A question to Finns - what is the condition of Kuitunen and Saarinen? Yesterday they didn't participate and how good chances does Finland have in tomorrow's 4x5 km relay?

janneppi
28th February 2007, 18:20
According my local paper, they both have been chosen for the relay, along with Roponen and Pirjo Manninen. :)

Tomi
28th February 2007, 18:51
and how good chances does Finland have in tomorrow's 4x5 km relay?

still very good :)

EuroTroll
28th February 2007, 19:15
If Kaspar Kokk had started in the first group, he would have taken a medal! ;)

I think that can be said about at least 50 skiers, given who won silver. :) Or should I say 75? FIS doesn't even have a profile of Mr. Kornejenko online. :)

janneppi
1st March 2007, 07:39
Oh my, what can i say? :)
Splendid effort from our girls.

Germany's Evil Sachenbacher had really good speed in the end. :up:

Woodeye
1st March 2007, 08:58
Another gold for Finland. :up:

Remainds me of Lahti though. Not that i'm negative or anything...

janneppi
1st March 2007, 09:05
Yeah, in 1989, Finnish women also took gold in relay. ;) :p :

A.F.F.
1st March 2007, 09:35
Another gold for Finland. :up:

Remainds me of Lahti though. Not that i'm negative or anything...

No. I call you realistic. I'm quite positive most of the Finnish women ski on dope right now.

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 10:03
I blame the mascot. :devil: Finns have kotietu. :hmph: :p :

Tomi
1st March 2007, 10:16
I blame the mascot. :devil: Finns have kotietu. :hmph: :p :
Dont be so depressed, after all you did beat Canada :)
And this was somekind preparation competition for Smigun, in 30 km i think she has good chances to be in top 20.

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 10:38
Dont be so depressed, after all you did beat Canada :)
And this was somekind preparation competition for Smigun, in 30 km i think she has good chances to be in top 20.

Mock all you want. After Torino, we are immune. ;) :p :

And Šmigun will be back. It's no wonder that this season has been crap. For 6 months after the Olympics she was dragged from one event to another. And I guess she got too happy with herself and lost the hunger. A slap in the face in Sapporo is just what she needs to be strong in 2009 and 2010. :up: Next year she'll probably be in maternity leave.

jens
1st March 2007, 10:57
Yep, there have been rumours that Šmigun has been unmotivated this season. Maybe she should have taken a break already this season?

I was a bit worried about Kuitunen and I thought that maybe her championships is over, but it has not turned out to be so! In 30 km-s she seems to be the favourite alongside Neumannova, Savialova and Saarinen. But at the same time Roponen doesn't seem to be in her best form, Steira was a lot faster. Even in 10 km freestyle Roponen didn't look very convincing with that 7th position.

No. I call you realistic. I'm quite positive most of the Finnish women ski on dope right now.

More likely I think Finns are trying to be cautious, even if we recall how Varis was left out of the Turin team. They tried to avoid another scandale, although there wasn't proof that she had used dope. I tend not to accuse anyone before he/she has been proven to be a cheater. :)

But after all, magnificent efforts by 19-year-old Charlotte Kalla! :up: I already noticed her at the start of the season at Gällivare, where she finished 7th. Unless something goes awfully wrong, we'll see a lot from her in the future! ;)

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 10:59
Yep, there have been rumours that Šmigun has been unmotivated this season. Maybe she should have taken a break already this season?

No, I think it's perfect as it is. ;) She really needs that slap in the face. :)

pino
1st March 2007, 12:31
I can't wait for tomorrow men's 4x10..and is going to be a great fight, hopefully Italy will repeat the Olimpic win :D

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 12:44
I read that the Finnish nordic combined team were played the Estonian anthem in the medals ceremony, and for some reason they were not very happy about it. :s Strange. :s I thought everyone knew who the moral winner of that event was. ;) :D

janneppi
1st March 2007, 13:07
What's the difference between the anthems?
One is called Maamme laulu and the other landeme hoilatus? ;)

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 13:31
What's the difference between the anthems?
One is called Maamme laulu and the other landeme hoilatus? ;)

Finnish Anthem (http://david.national-anthems.net/fi.mid)

Estonian Anthem (http://www.rk.ee/symb/eesti_hymn.mp3)

;) :D

EuroTroll
1st March 2007, 13:38
Actually they were saying something about not being able to repeat the chorus. :s

EuroTroll
2nd March 2007, 07:09
Wow! :eek: That Northug fellow is really something else. :up:

janneppi
2nd March 2007, 07:22
Yeah, now i understand what the fuss was about, he's almost as fast as me. :)

pino
2nd March 2007, 08:00
Guys at what time will the men relay starts ?

EuroTroll
2nd March 2007, 08:02
It's already over, pino.. I don't think it would have made you happy.

janneppi
2nd March 2007, 08:03
Guys at what time will the men relay starts ?
3th March 2009?
Sorry Pino, your guys even lost to us. ;) :(

pino
2nd March 2007, 09:46
Sorry I had forgotten time difference from Japan, anyway a very disappointed performance by Italy... that's life, you can't win all the time :p :

Congrats to Norway :up:

jens
2nd March 2007, 12:51
For me 4x10 km relay is always one of the most waited skiing events at championships. It has some kind of special aura and has often given us dramatic and memorable solutions.

Well. For some reason Italy has a tendency to be more successful at Olympics. They have been in Top2 at five Olympics 4x10 km relay in a row! But last time they won a medal at World Champs, was in 1999...

Northug seems to be new Alsgaard, his last spurt was simply amazing as everything was clear already before the last straight.
I feel sorry to Södergren - he tries so often to get away and always gets beaten at the end! But otherwise a great effort from the Swedes with not the best line-up.
Germans were a negative surprise - everyone seemed to be weaker than expected, even Filbrich hardly ever showed activity during the first stint.

Estonia 13th - that is a harsh reality without Veerpalu and I'm afraid that in next seasons such positions are gonna be quite ordinary for us as so far we have usually been in the second half of Top10.

janneppi
3rd March 2007, 11:14
Kuitunen won her third gold, she had a smart tactic letting the Norvegians do most of the work.
Steira looked like she was going to take it in the last ascend but as the stupid camera men looked the other way, Kuitunen came from behind and went past. :up:
I had fight with myself who to want for third place, the Norvegian gilr who struggeled the last 10 km looking like she was going to collapse any time or my home towns Aimo Kaisa. They didn't have what it takes to win, but still had a good race.

Madam Alice was out of this world in ski jump!

EuroTroll
3rd March 2007, 11:37
Congrats to Virpi! :up:

I absolutely loved Therese Johaug's performance. The most positively surprising performance of these champs, for me. :up: (Šmigun: "I must confess I don't know this girl who won bronze." :) )

The Norsks really have a good new generation coming up in cross-country skiing. Astrid Jacobsen, Petter Northug, Therese Johaug - they're all really good characters. :up:

jens
3rd March 2007, 15:25
Had a very busy day today watching sport events. :p :

In Nordic Combined it seemed that Ackermann took it easily during the first three laps and then pressed the throttle on the last lap and won without doubt. Demong's silver was a pleasant surprise. :up: Americans have at last opened their medal score. Koivuranta lasted the distance pretty well, but expected more from Lamy Chappuis, who has had better cross-country races this year than dropping from 1st to 15th.

Also satisfied with the results in ski jumping at normal hill. Malysz was absolutely amazing, what a domination! His jumps were 102 ja 99,5 meters, as the next best jump was 96,5 meters. Malysz and Ahonen are rare examples, who have been able to be at the top or close to it for many years as usually jumpers tend to have serious ups and downs.

In 30 km's the gaps were incredibly huge at the end (30th place lost for about 10 minutes), haven't seen such a race for a long time. :p : But actually I like that variant more, where only a couple of skiers stay in leading group till the end, not about 30-40 skiers that has been so usual in recent seasons in mass starts. Wonderful battle between Kuitunen and Steira. :up: Besides Kalla also Johaug seems to be a possible future star - skiers to watch out in next years.

And I'm also satisfied with Šmigun's effort. :) Especially as this distance isn't the most suitable for her. A medal would have been of course better, but we should't complain either - consistently finishing in Top10 shows strong world class level.

jens
4th March 2007, 13:19
So at last the championships are over, which were quite wearying - so now it's possible to rest a bit. :p :

For Estonians the championships ended in positive note as Mae finished 8th (his best result in 50 km distance) and Kokk 11th (his best ever result). ;)

All in all 14 countries won a medal, which is pleasantly much. We weren't in that group, but in 2009 maybe we'll join it again and maybe as a result of our new generation then! ;)

What are other's thoughts in conclusion? :)

janneppi
4th March 2007, 14:08
This was a good effort from the Finnish team, mens ski team is improving slowly, but they might not ever get on top with these guys.
Womens team was good, Kuitunen was superb, others need bit more speed to follow.
Ski jumpers were bit useless, which isn't suprising looking at the results in WC this season.
Combined team was good and Manninen finally got his gold metal.

EuroTroll
4th March 2007, 15:35
This was the first time I was able to watch the champs without desperately wanting the Estonians to do well. So I enjoyed the competitions much more! :)

But that was only because of Torino. In 2009, I will demand success! :hmph: ;)