PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen to F1

ArrowsFA1
27th November 2009, 08:24
Volkswagen is seriously evaluating a move into Formula 1 as an engine supplier from 2012, when new power unit regulations due to be introduced could make the sport attractive enough for the German car maker to get involved...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80348

Sonic
27th November 2009, 09:13
Well aside from GM (who obviously now don't have the funds to enter) VW have always been curiously absent from top flight motorsport. It would be nice to have more engines on the grid.

I am evil Homer
27th November 2009, 09:36
Why is F1 the be all and end all? VAG in case you didn't notice has won Le Mans and the WTCC with some of the best designed diesel engines.

Daniel
27th November 2009, 10:13
I'd say VAG is more likely to enter the WRC than F1....

555-04Q2
27th November 2009, 10:21
:laugh: Powered by GTI :laugh:

ArrowsFA1
27th November 2009, 10:24
Well, there was a report they were looking at NASCAR, swiftly denied, a few days ago.

It seems VW may be looking at the current downturn as an opportunity to step into motorsport while others are walking away.

555-04Q2
27th November 2009, 10:26
I dont see how they can afford to enter F1 in any form when they are making a huge loss every year. Doesnt make sense to me.

Koz
27th November 2009, 10:29
Under the Lamborghini name?

Would have been nice to see the German manufacturers battle it out in F1.

I am evil Homer
27th November 2009, 10:29
I'd say VAG is more likely to enter the WRC than F1....

Doubtful...would require a new car when the Polo comes out - you'd assume that would have to be the base car as the Scirocco is already too big. There's next to no coverage and very little exposure - that's why they went to do Dakar to promote their 4x4 vehicles.

V12
27th November 2009, 10:41
From the Autosport story...I do like their attitude about preferring to be involved as an engine supplier rather than buying into, or buying out, a team like BMW, Renault, and now Mercedes have done.

I see talk of this "world engine" has popped up in this story again though...while I would welcome a common engine formula that allows engine manufacturers to create engines that can be used in a number of categories, I hope we don't end up with some sort of base engine riddled with common parts like Mad Max was suggesting a year or so ago :(

Saint Devote
27th November 2009, 10:44
Why is F1 the be all and end all? VAG in case you didn't notice has won Le Mans and the WTCC with some of the best designed diesel engines.

Oh come on, because it is the top level of motor racing.
Le Mans is great - in France and many racing enthusiasts! The WTCC amongst those that like to watch fast taxi cabs, but Formula 1 is the most difficult, the quickest and it is for the world drivers championship with an audience of hundreds of millions.

VW in F1 as an engine manufacturer and supplier is the way to go. Great to see Hans-Joachim Stuck as their representative :D

I am evil Homer
27th November 2009, 10:50
You think not being in F1 has held back sales of the Polo and Golf? That's what VW cares about...they already have the brand.

Engine supply might be one way to build that in emerging markets but right now it would be difficult to justify the outlay.

Saint Devote
27th November 2009, 10:55
From the Autosport story...I do like their attitude about preferring to be involved as an engine supplier rather than buying into, or buying out, a team like BMW, Renault, and now Mercedes have done.

I see talk of this "world engine" has popped up in this story again though...while I would welcome a common engine formula that allows engine manufacturers to create engines that can be used in a number of categories, I hope we don't end up with some sort of base engine riddled with common parts like Mad Max was suggesting a year or so ago :(

A standard engine would destroy formula 1 - unfortunately the socialization and rising nanny statism in the world today makes such a technical abomination in motor racing a real probability.

There is already a danger of creative geniuses like Adrian Newey leaving the sport. The cretins at the FIA must tread very carefully and hopefully Todt will not become a European politician-type.

Sonic
27th November 2009, 12:21
A standard engine would destroy formula 1 - unfortunately the socialization and rising nanny statism in the world today makes such a technical abomination in motor racing a real probability.

There is already a danger of creative geniuses like Adrian Newey leaving the sport. The cretins at the FIA must tread very carefully and hopefully Todt will not become a European politician-type.

As it goes St.D I agree with you - standard anything would be a terrible idea in F1 but how about you phrase it in a different way? We all know your views.

Big Ben
27th November 2009, 12:54
Hello,

I don't really understand how is f1 performance influencing a manufacturer's image. Just because toyota f1 team sucked I'm not going to buy their cars anymore? On the other hand, renault was pretty successful in f1, however I think they make pretty crappy cars...

and if they are so concerned about costs why don't they organize themselves like independents? Why can the f1 team be an independent entity that earns its own living (I spelled it leaving but mistake... the irony :) ))?

regarding VW... I find their approach very... I don't know... SANE?

veeten
27th November 2009, 13:29
in the phrase, commonly used in the Indycar forum,... "Hans gets it." :)

Why buy the cow (team), when you can set the price for the milk (engines/powertrains).

Daniel
27th November 2009, 13:46
Doubtful...would require a new car when the Polo comes out - you'd assume that would have to be the base car as the Scirocco is already too big. There's next to no coverage and very little exposure - that's why they went to do Dakar to promote their 4x4 vehicles.
True, BUT the amount you would have to pump in to bankroll a title in the WRC is a lot less than to finish last in F1. WRC is a sport which is much loved the world round, it may be down in the doldrums now but add a few manufactuers, change the sporting regs and throw in some proper events and you've got a series which is going places.

V12
27th November 2009, 14:10
in the phrase, commonly used in the Indycar forum,... "Hans gets it." :)

Why buy the cow (team), when you can set the price for the milk (engines/powertrains).

Indeed - I think a lot of manufacturers basically wanted to be Ferrari, with their name over the whole car, and I think some felt that just being an engine supplier didn't get them enough recognition when they won.

I don't agree though, I've lost count of the times I've heard stuff like "I want to drive a Renault when I'm older just like Nigel Mansell does in F1", "Montoya, is that the one who drives for BMW?", "Hamilton drives a Mercedes" etc. from people who aren't really fans but are aware of the sport and its competitors. And while real fans can tell the difference, do we care about a team being bought and renamed? As far as I'm concerned Benetton won a couple of titles in 2005 and 2006, with Renault engines.

LiamM
27th November 2009, 15:42
Who sponsors the majority of VAG motorsports? Oh is it Red Bull? Do they have a team already in F1 which require customer engines? 1 + 1 = 2 Surely?

UltimateDanGTR
27th November 2009, 16:56
Who sponsors the majority of VAG motorsports? Oh is it Red Bull? Do they have a team already in F1 which require customer engines? 1 + 1 = 2 Surely?

bing bing we have a winner! ha, all of a sudden this looks very likely.

and im glad they are looking at engine supplying rather than team owning. right idea IMO.

and, another engine supplier is a good thing for F1, i think we need another.

Jag_Warrior
27th November 2009, 18:28
I don't really understand how is f1 performance influencing a manufacturer's image. Just because toyota f1 team sucked I'm not going to buy their cars anymore? On the other hand, renault was pretty successful in f1, however I think they make pretty crappy cars...

On the image thing, generally the same as commercials. Many people are influenced (to some extent) by image. Maybe as much or moreso than the performance or reliability - assuming roughly equal price points among the competition. Especially among those who are brand conscious, the image that a maker projects can be important. Although I've never owned one, my perception of Honda was VERY positive in the late 80's and early 90's. Now, not so much.

I don't think that an involvement in motorsports can make or break a mass markerter of automobiles. But a properly activated (and successful) involvement certainly doesn't hurt.

Just my 2 cents...

regarding VW... I find their approach very... I don't know... SANE?

They've certainly done a great job of rebuilding Audi's image. And if they can successfully provide engines to an F1 team, with the potential to run up front, I think you're right; this is probably the most sane approach. I think BMW and Toyota would have been wise (saner?) to truly partner up with Williams and make that team stronger, rather than skip off on their own. Same with Jaguar (Ford). I imagine Williams-BMW (or BMW Williams :rolleyes :) or Williams-Toyota and Stewart-Jaguar could still be on the grid if they'd played their cards right.

Daniel
27th November 2009, 19:21
bing bing we have a winner! ha, all of a sudden this looks very likely.

and im glad they are looking at engine supplying rather than team owning. right idea IMO.

and, another engine supplier is a good thing for F1, i think we need another.
If we go by this logic Citroen will be in F1 and F1 will start to allow motocross bikes.

jens
27th November 2009, 19:27
Regarding VW Group I've to mention that Seat is my favourite car brand and it would be awesome to see their yellow livery in F1. :D

Easy Drifter
28th November 2009, 01:29
I have been around this crazy sport since JC was in diapers.
I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times VW was 'considering' involvement in F1. It was rumoured when I was running a Beetle (the original one) in Int'l rallies!
After all that I would like to see it happen as F1 needs a true customer engine besides Cosworth.

gloomyDAY
28th November 2009, 03:04

I see talk of this "world engine" has popped up in this story again though...while I would welcome a common engine formula that allows engine manufacturers to create engines that can be used in a number of categories, I hope we don't end up with some sort of base engine riddled with common parts like Mad Max was suggesting a year or so ago :( Yeah, screw that "world engine" crap. It's the antitheses of Formula 1 and VW wanting to be part of that debacle is laughable. I bet VAG, which is exactly what they are, aren't going to step in F1 any time soon.

call_me_andrew
28th November 2009, 06:27
Well, there was a report they were looking at NASCAR, swiftly denied, a few days ago.

It seems VW may be looking at the current downturn as an opportunity to step into motorsport while others are walking away.

There have also been reports that they're interested in supplying engines in the IndyCar Series as well.